[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come normies like Open World so much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 2

File: 1473245094938.jpg (46KB, 590x578px) Image search: [Google]
1473245094938.jpg
46KB, 590x578px
How come normies like Open World so much?
>>
because they see the all of the action bits in a trailer and think it's all that.
>>
>>377212628
it's literally a normie meme.
>"omg skyrim is so great xD goodbye social life, i live in a new world now xDD i'll see you in a few years, family!"
and since then, they convinced themselves open world automatically means good/immersive/better.
>>
Only normalfags use the word normie.
>>
Skyrim is fucking awesome.
>>
>>377212628
>>377212737
>>377212737
>>377212761

>play a game
>beat it
>want to play more
>have to be railroaded through every shitty part just to get to the good part

Vs.

>play a game
>beat it
>want to play more
>continue playing without having to wade through the whole thing again

GOLLY GEE, I WONDER WHICH IS BETTER!

Man, this board gets dumber by the day
>>
>>377212834
This.
What are normies gaming-wise anyway?
>>
>>377212628
Bro you can WHATEVER you WANT dude
>>
Because irl is open world.
>>
Literally because of Skyrim and Fallout 4.
Now every game has to be an ebin open world """""RPG""""".
>>
They hate challenge
In the open-world meme sandbox you can jsut be urself and take your time and do what you want and not even really play the game so much as run around pretending
Open world is for people who don't like video games
>>
>>377212628

Normalfags. The word is "Normalfags" you stupid /r9k/ faggot.
>>
Because
>>
>>377212904
>GOLLY GEE, I WONDER WHICH IS BETTER
the constructed experience is always better than the sandboxed experience. every great piece of media is a constructed experience; books, music, film, and games all take you on an emotional journey that is designed by its creator. creating a sandboxed experience to rival these carefully crafted experiences is nearly impossible. even the best open worlds are crafted experiences, like Gothic. And the best open ended level design, like thief and crysis, are intesely crafted experiences.
>>
>>377212628
Ultimate power fantasy. Explore shit, find loot, craft gear, kill shit, get more powerful, explore tougher areas populated with tougher shit to kill and find better loot to craft better gear -> repeat for days.
>>
>>377212628
So what word do you use for the opposite of a normie? A neckbeard, maybe? Would you proudly self-identify as a neckbeard?
>>
>>377212628
What's with neo-/v/ memehating open world?
>>
>>377213186
MMOs would have word.
>>
>>377213125
>every game has to be linear with a message at the end that congratulates me for my concentrated autism otherwise it's le normie

Go play Mario on your NES, gramps
>>
Because they are under the false impression that games are designed for fun. They're not. Games are designed to be challenging. Fun is a side effect of people who enjoy overcoming such challenges.
>>
>>377213280
MMOs are garbage
>>
>>377213210
Because there is nothing new under the sun. Every ruin, castle, forest, camp, cave has been explored a thousand times over and over again in every sandbox game. It's boring, plain and simple. So as long as there isn't something that makes it worth exploring(unique items, events, quests, characters etc.) it's a waste of time and only exists to pad the game with unnecessary combat and loot.
>>
>>377213210
Because unlike nu-/v/ they didn't grow up on skyrim and fallout 3.
>>
>>377213137
>>377212834
These.
Why don't Reddit newfags go back and stop trying so hard to fit in.
>>
>>377212904
Skyrim railroads you through so much shit every time you make a new character, though and it's not anywhere near as good as something linear and story driven.

I'd rather play through Metro 2033 than do the beginning of Skyrim through to getting your shouts started, because you need to do all that shit or you're not getting any shouts.
>>
>>377213280
>MMOs
>good
>>
>>377213349
Because they're constructed experiences, duh.
>>
>>377213210
It's contrary to the norm so insecure people can pretend to believe it and feel like they have more sophisticated tastes/opinions.
>>
>>377212628
There is nothing inherently wrong with open world. Some companies do it badly, some - OK. Just like any genre
>>
>>377213406

>>377213414
>>
>>377213280
single player =/= multiplayer
>>
>>377213385
> can't be in our gang because he doesn't he doesn't even know the lingo and the special gang fist-bump move we made up together. What a dork!

Real fuckin mature.
>>
>>377213186
With constructed games you know what you're going to get every time, though, so when cool shit happens it's expected.

When cool shit happens in some procedurally generated game, then it's a bit more special.
>>
>>377212628
Obviously cause they're uncultured swine unlike us gamers
>>
>>377212628
Testing
>>
>>377213534
Was the test successful?
>>
>>377212628
Remember when /v/ HATED linear games and only a minority would end up explaining there was nothing wrong with them as long they're designed in a good way?

We're in the same situation right now.
Almost any genre can be good if executed properly.
>>
I lick penis
>>
>>377212628
It's equivalent to MUH GRAPHICS
>MY OPEN WORLD IS 1000 TIMES BIGGER THAN YOURS SO IT'S BEDDER
>>
>>377213560
no
>>
>>377213572
>Remember when /v/ HATED linear games
no
>>
I prefer open world games as I mainly play for escapism and not challenge.
>>
>>377212904
I have no idea which of those strawmen is supposed to be who.
>>
>>377212628
Open world gives the player more freedom to do whatever the fuck they want.

There doesn't have to be a real objective and again, you can do whatever the fuck you want.

It appeals to people because people are lazy and don't want to follow objectives and shit.

SO THEY MAKE OPEN WORLD GAMES WITHOUT OBJECTIVES LIKE MEINKAMPFT
>>
>>377212834
>>377213385
M8 both "normie" and "normalfag" have been in use for a long time. Stop spreading elitist shit you copied from another """old"""fag.
>>
>>377213671
>M8 both "normie" and "normalfag" have been in use for a long time
If by "long time" you mean 2 years, sure.
>>
>>377213392
Shouts are not essential though. You can easily do all the non-dragonborn shit without them.

Only a normie would refuse to play the game without "muh shouts that uh saw in the trailer"
>>
Videogames would be better if they had the old-school stage format.

Hitman nailed it in its level design. It features level selection but the levels are so huge gameplay is pretty much open-ended.
>>
>>377213774
>only a normal person would expect to use all the game features advertised
you're right, normal people sure are weird.
>>
>>377213474
Sandboxes can have constructed experiences.

Constructed experiences obviously couldn't have sandboxes for this example, because that's the whole point of the argument.
>>
>>377213667
>It appeals to people because people are lazy and don't want to follow objectives and shit.
You can't make 5 steps without getting a new objective for some random quest in most open world though
>>
>>377212904
>>continue playing without having to wade through the whole thing again
That's bullshit. You still have to wade through shit in open world games to get to the good part. You usually have to wade through MORE shit because there's so much padding.
Stupid underage fuck.
>>
I like open world games.
>>
It's just a trend and gives this artificial feeling of freedom. While you are free, you basically have nothing interesting to do. So it's kind of a win/lose situation
>>
>>377212628
>frogposter
>normies
>147
Everytime
>>
>>377214317
>147
Excuse me I'm new, could you please elaborate? I'm trying to lurk don't worry.
>>
>>377213972
Yeah, but that objective is also just sitting out in the open world so it takes no effort to reach it.
>>
>>377212950
"Casuals"
>>
>>377213287
Did it hit a little too close home, regularfella?
>>
>>377212950
Fifafags
>>
>>377212628
They're told to
>>
>>377214408
Name of the pic's file starts with that number.
>>
There are three things that could improve any open world-game:

1) Very hard, optional bosses that are available to find from the beginning of the game, so that you become aware of them and that challenge always hangs over you as a motivating factor. Something along the lines of the "weapons" in Final Fantasy.

2) More consequential and changing world. This includes guard comments, companion banter, etc. I mean, you can kill the fucking Emperor in Skyrim and no one bats an eye.

3) A good number (I mean at least 50) rare as fuck random encounters that even most 100+ hours players will not find. Lucky if you find 3 of them in that amount of playtime. This encounters should be weird and unique, and also materially rewarding. It's another thing to keep the sense of mystery alive in the world.
>>
>muh freedom
>exploration
>>
Normies like most overhyped stuff. When a game becomes a meme before it gets released and the media is flooded by gamers making up silly stuff such as "OMG YOU'LL SEE ME IN ONE YEAR", normies get triggered.

You see, normies really love being in a huge group. They don't actually care what that group is, as long as it's huge. Gamers in real life don't have huge groups, hence why normies (especially girls) act disgusted when it comes to gamers. But on the internet.... it's a whole different thing. They see the hype and can't even think of being out of such a huge group of something.
>>
>>377212628
Because it's superior to all other world designs

Open-world > Zones > Linear
>>
>>377214879
Zones is my favorite to be honest

>multiple well designed levels of a comfortable size that you can move through freely
mmmmmmmmmmmh
>>
>>377214860
>You see, normies really love being in a huge group. They don't actually care what that group is, as long as it's huge. Gamers in real life don't have huge groups, hence why normies (especially girls) act disgusted when it comes to gamers. But on the internet.... it's a whole different thing. They see the hype and can't even think of being out of such a huge group of something.

Yes you're certainly getting your social revenge on those normies now that they're on YOUR turf.
>>
>>377212628
It is a genre that facilitates an aimless pick up and play attitude, especially if you only play in short burst sessions of a few hours at a time. Just look at all of the posts you see along the lines of "I've been playing for X amount of hours and haven't even done Early Game milestone Y!" Open world games are something that you can just easily get lost in and play aimlessly at a very casual pace.
>>
Why does weebs like every shit game which has a shitty cartoon girl in it?
>>
>>377214075
>Start game
>Load save
Wow, so much padding!

It's funny how it's always the most retarded motherfuckers who are so quick to try and call other people stupid.
>>
>>377215170
Because they are fucked in the head
>>
>>377213370
Anyone here actually old enough to remember the days before open world? Anyone remember the level in this pic?

http://randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/gc/psx/spyro.JPG

You'd try to explore the extents of a level and hit a barrier or something; really frustrating. Nowadays environments are crafted large enough that you'll get your fill of exploration before this becomes a problem; 9/10 when you see an interesting landmark you can investigate it further. The entire design philosophy that existed prior to open world was based on the flaw idea by developers that they knew how to ration out fun better than the player did.
>>
I want level selection back. Level selection with huge levels to fuck around.

Like Hitman, they fucking nailed it, man They have the best game design standard in the world. More devs should follow their example.
>>
>>377212628
Most normies barely actually play their games. You can look up the statistics, most people get past the first 2-3 hours and stop. Very few people play games through to completion.
>>
>>377215293
>Shitman

Fuck off IO nobody got sad your turd got canceled
>>
>>377215261
You can do that with a linear game too you stupid fuck. The original post was obviously talking about replaying games from the beginning.
Its funny how the illiterate fucks always try to call others stupid.
>>
>>377215327
I'm not talking about the game itself, but the design of it. You underage cuck.
>>
>>377213280
not only are MMOs pure garbage but they aren't open world either, you follow the set zones and quests for your level or you get fucked
>>
Simply put, because they've been told to by marketing campaigns. "Go anywhere" "Do Anything" "No Limits"

Back when games were lambasted for invisible walls, tiny levels, etc... this was a siren song. People in their regular life are often locked to a dull routine in which they can't really go anywhere or do anything. So the games offer a form of escapism.
>>
>>377212628
How come OP likes cocks so much?
>>
>>377215415
aaaaand you've just articulated in a nutshell why open world games are superior
>>
>>377215608
>aaaaand

reddit
>>
>>377215659
>reddit
r/the_donald
>>
>>377212904
This retard has never heard of chapter select.
>>
>>377215608
t. marketer
>>
>>377215736
>This retard
dont be so harsh anon, the kid is probably under the age of 18.
>>
I often consider linear games as a corridor. Corridors are cool and all, but they're just somewhere to get where I'm going. Inherently flawed. Whereas open world games are more like...an entire building. In that building there are loads of corridors and nooks and crannies to explore.
>>
>>377215851
Exploration (i.e. walking around and looking at pretty things) is not the only point of games.
>>
>>377212628

In an open world, I am the adventurer, the explorer. I feel powerful, in charge. In a linear game I feel like a pawn for the writers and stupid game designers.

They feel so 2d and flat, the immersion is simply awful.
>>
DOOD YOU CAN DO ANYTHING
>>
>>377216183
butthurt your silly linear games arent very popular? good.
>>
>>377214278
>not only are MMOs pure garbage
Not an argument. They should very well be good if they implemented more open world / sandbox mechanics.

>but they aren't open world either
EVE is an example.
>>
>>377216327

>I only like popular games

Disgusting.
>>
>>377216793
thats not what a said, runt
>>
>>377215051

Social revenge? That's something normies do. I don't care about them, I'm just stating a fact. Normies get attracted by hype. It's something you can understand since middle school.
>>
>>377212628
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>377216793
>i only like non-popular underground games

Disgusting hipster faggot
>>
>>377212628
>normies
>not nornalfag

Leave you fucking new fag
>>
Normies like open world games because they don't have to do anything. It appeals to their adhd mentality. They can pick a controller, walk around for 5 minutes then check their phone, pick back up the controller kill someone and get back on their phone.
>>
>>377212628
Because it's very easy to market
>you can go EVERYWHERE
>you can do ANYTHING
>>
>>377212628
Open-world games are the ultimate genre because real-life is an open-world game and our brains evolved to traverse those worlds in the pursuit of food and shelter. Simple stuff.
>>
>>377218957
That's not adhd, that's being more interested in useless crap rather than being immersed in the game.
>>
>>377212628
Another day, another fat piece of lard who sits on a computer all day browsing the most popular board on 4chan calls others 'normies'
>>
>>377219253
>he fell for the Jewish lie that is evolution
>>
>>377219253
/thread

Maybe devs can't make them that good yet, but it'll come in time.
>>
>>377219621
>e-e-evolution is real
>your Christian god is a lie, in truth you are just another ape!
>it's merely a COINCIDENCE we haven't actually found the creature that is the transition between ape and man
>it's the """missing link""", we don't actually need to find it, we KNOW that it MUST exist!

fucking kikes man
>>
>>377214408
A 125 filename is older than a 147. I have a 140 one and that was from 2015
>>
It's a meme
>>
>>377219774
what are niggers
>>
Do they? "Normies" like phone games, sports games, and multiplayer first person shooters like COD and Overwatch. Skyrim and GTA were exceptions, but normal people where I live got teased for playing Skyrim.
>>
Because GTA
>>
File: 1490168263641.jpg (50KB, 545x395px) Image search: [Google]
1490168263641.jpg
50KB, 545x395px
100+ posts and no one posted a single image
This bothers me a lot, it had to be done.

Also, open world games are pretty cool and comfy, no wonder even normalfags love them
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.