/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who would you trust to make a Dark Souls movie, /v/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 11

File: bros.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
bros.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
Who would you trust to make a Dark Souls movie, /v/
>>
>>377205346
movies need a plot so dark souls is out as a possibility
>>
nicolas refn
>>
Noone. Game is shit, movie producers are shit.
>>
Why, Paul Anderson of course.
Maybe Del Toro, I'm not sure DS would work out as a movie at all.
>>
For the game to have actual Lore.
>>
why on earth would you even do that
very little even happens in the plot of dark souls, and it's intentionally written that way
>>
>>377205346
If Inception and the Illusionist have taught me anything, it's that Christopher Nolan can direct something that feel esoteric and alien, long as he doesn't have hacks like Goyer writing for him
>>
>>377205346
Guillermo Del Toro
>>
>>377205525
>barely anything happens
>massive amounts of lore you have to look for to find

Ideally it would handle it like the games do. There for people paying attention and who spend extra time looking for it, but basically invisible if all you want is to see the bosses.
>>
>>377205656
This

The basic plot would be there, but there would be no overt intrigue or excessive dialogue. Many things would be implied rather than thrown out via exposition.
>>
>>377205656
>>377205752
>Movie where literally nothing happens.
>major plot points merely hinted at and never actually explored
That's not how movies work. FROMdrones deserve death.
>>
An entire Spanish drama rendition of Dark Souls made entirely in SFM would be nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zk75WJCwbw
>>
>>377205396
They really don't. You can keep the story paper thin and film it like a nonstop action speedrun.
>>
Pixar. They can do amazing ass non verbal storytelling, decent action and their randomly scary moments I think prove that they could do an interesting horror story.
>>
>>377206337
A CGI adaptation of a video game is kinda pointless.
>>
>>377206413
People jerk it to those shitty Final Fantasy movies. Imagine if someone competent did one.
>>
>>377206475
None of FF movies are adaptations, are they? Spirits Within is its own thing, and Advent Children is a sequel.
>>
>>377205346
If Dark Souls was around and was like LoTR was during the 60's/70's then I could see it having some type of "Artistic" animated movie being made.

The problem is that the only people willing to risk and attempt a movie would be Japan and it would be in a CG animation style. Other than that, don't ever bet money on a legit Dark Souls movie anytime soon, unless you want a rushed piece of shit film about a Knight who is searching for his lost girlfriend and is trying to rescue her from Capra.
>>
You know to save time they'd mix character arcs together. So you'd wind up with Siegmeyer failing to protect you against an insane Solaire.
>>
>>377205346
Snyder.
>>
File: King of New Londo.jpg (270KB, 904x950px) Image search: [Google]
King of New Londo.jpg
270KB, 904x950px
>>377206036
Calm your titties, internet tough guy. Movies don't always have to be spelled out for you. Sometimes, they're best that way. It doesn't mean nothing is happening. If the movie plays things out right, things are indeed happening, but they are more alluded to before the ax drops.

Think of it as a counterpart to LoTR. LoTR was pretty plain about what meant what and it gave us a lot of backstory explicitly. It was also very dialogue heavy, and the action was on more of a grand scale. it was a huge, adventurous epic that was overt, in your face. it made to be a heart pounding fantasy adventure based on a good series of books.

A Dark souls movie would be far more subdued. The odyssey here is more personal, more private. The Chosen Undead is alone. There are no armies fighting around him. he has no friends like Gimli or Aragorn. The cities aren't full of people so much as they're full of rot, decay, and death. Sure the orcs were scary, but they weren't the kind of scary the souls series boasts is less of the "massive force coming to destroy what you love, therefore protect it" and more of the "You're all alone in this dreary world and no one is there to save you. In LoTR, bleakness is on its way. In Souls, bleakness is already here, and the whole world is made up of it.

In LoTR, the world has its fair share of wondrous vistas. From Minas Tirith, to Lothlorien, middle earth is alive with civilization and flurry. The world of Dark Souls is more of a wilderness. It has its own beauty at times, but if anything, it only tells you that life was once here. There were once Minas Tiriths in the form of Anor Londo and Lothric, but now they're nothing more than hunting grounds, and you're the prey. Dialogue would be minimal, with the CU talking mainly to important characters such as Frampt.
>>
>>377205346
Uwe Boll.
Unironically.
>>
Why would anyone want a Dark Souls movie?

Part of the appeal is its meta-commentary on video games and choice, right? And the other part of the appeal is its worldbuilding told through environmental clues and item descriptions?
>>
dark souls lore is fucking trash
>>
File: large-screenshot3.jpg (75KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
large-screenshot3.jpg
75KB, 1280x544px
If he had Miyazaki advising him, Refn could probably do it.
>>
>>377206701
>Movie where nothing happens
>Movie with no main characters
>empty, dilapidated settings
Your movie sounds like dogshit.
>>
>>377205346
That requires a plot.
"But m-muh items"
Even with the full lore you can tell even by the wiki pages on DS that the actual story is scarce.
>>
File: cooperation.png (215KB, 1300x1091px) Image search: [Google]
cooperation.png
215KB, 1300x1091px
>>377206701
>The Chosen Undead is alone
Well, you had me going for a minute and you fucked it up.
>>
dunno either Nolan or the guy from Destrict 9 and Chappie.
>>
>>377206585
They could just do an original story taking place in whatever random cycle. That way they could just make their own cast without having to worry about stuff like that, all they'd need to do is follow some basic lore shit and maybe a nod or two to the games. Or they could do something different like focusing on a character from the series, like Artorias and the knights of Lordran or Logarius just wandering around doing pyromancer things. They could handle it in a few ways and still tiptoe around troublesome stuff. Tbh, I'd prefer they keep the Kiln out of it, just follow some failure or some runts doing shit in the side before a cycle ends.
>>
>>377205346
M. Night Shyamalan
>>
>>377206912
You seem to miss the point, friend-o

What I'm saying is that while LoTR is an massive, dramatic epic, DS would be a subdied, personal odyssey. Of course stuff will happen, what with the fights he will have to endure.

Also, >>377207013
this guy has some good points too
>>
>>377205346
Ridley Scott
>>
>>377206952
You could do plenty with it. There's tons of unexplored places like Carim and all the other background locations, there's the religious orders and covenants where you could have a pilgrim or follower of one go out on some quest, then there's more than a few legendary figures they could focus on.
>>
>>377206961
You have a point
Perhaps he meets others along the way. only to lose them tragically as the story progresses much like your pic
>>
>comes upon a fellow fallen warrior
>pauses a moment in solemn respect
>smash cut to strolling away in their stolen armor
>>
>>377206260
Why even make a movie at that point?
Fucking retarded.
>>
>>377205346
Maybe gywn vs dragons?
>>
File: 23506106_p0.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
23506106_p0.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>377206561
>a Knight who is searching for his lost girlfriend and is trying to rescue her from Capra.
Why bother, she would've been pinned down by the dogs and rapekilled the second she set foot in the room.
>>
>>377207392
the most pleb comment I've seen in a while
>>
>>377207392
Because action movies make money?
>>
>>377205346
Del toro for the backgrounds' designs
>>
File: IMG_0550.png (199KB, 1800x1578px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0550.png
199KB, 1800x1578px
>>377207392
>>377206912
>>377206036
>>
>>377207473
All the best action movies are made better through the characters. Mindless action can be fun, but that's the best you're going to get.
See: Hardcore Henry
>>
File: slapped.gif (975KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
slapped.gif
975KB, 250x141px
>>377207431
>>
no one, it would be a shit movie
>>
>>377207551
They are indeed
See Equilibrium, somebody post gunkata webms
>>
>>377207551
Well I don't see how you're going to cram so many boss battles into a movie's 2 hour run time without either having the hero hauling ass constantly or cutting out everything in between. Sure there's plenty of bosses you can trim out, but I'd say there's at least ten you need to squeeze in. And you'd still need time for NPC interactions.
>>
>>377207392
Yeah, I agree that would be lame. They don't need to show every goddamn fight from DaS, that would be a mess. Personally, I liked 3's use of NPC storylines to embellish on major bosses. Maybe have the MC meet a few dudes on his quest, then their personal issues help to show what's going on with some of the bad guys or issues the MC is related to or something. Story could take a backseat to the action, but the plot would be more character focused as their individual journeys and fates reveal story details as it develops. Like, maybe the MC is a dude from a church sent on a pilgrimage, searching for remnants of some Londo library or whatever in order to obtain the Miracles of the Gods or some bullshit. Along the way, maybe he meets a few other Undead. Maybe one is an aspiring hero hoping to reach the Kiln. MC helps him a few times in rough patches and takes mercy on him, but the hopeful dude ends up becoming a bitter and pessimistic lad as it goes on. Another person might be the old guardsmen of a noble family whose castle was besieged by monsters, and he's just become a displacent wandering fuck since he lost his purpose, and he searches for meaning before inevitably going hollow. Throw in some murderers and psychos, maybe one serving as a rival or recurring villain, and have some danger that the MC is forced to deal with, like maybe the ruins house the same horde that killed the nobles mentioned before, with maybe the rival character having some twist or connection to them. I personally prefer a grounded villain, but movies gotta make a spectacle of things, so maybe unlike the daughters of Manus, this dude is the son of Manus, and he's intentionally provoking the demons to attack rich places to plunder them, and he's seeking to raid the London city too for old treasure or some shit. MC fights and kills dude, maybe he finds out some horrible truth about the gods, like some record of what Gwyn did to the humans, making him question his journey bla bla bla
>>
>>377208164
Didn't think of it til now, but maybe the aspiring hero dude ends up being an incarnation of Patches, but it's not really apparent until the end when his relationship sours with the MC and it's shown to spur his distrust and hatred of clerics. Fanfic tier I know, but I'm just trying to show that there's some shit you could do with a DaS movie.
>>
File: 1492880962490.jpg (33KB, 299x322px) Image search: [Google]
1492880962490.jpg
33KB, 299x322px
>>377206561
>>377206701
>>377207116

>Uses motherfucking Lord of the Rings and Dark Souls in the same sentence
>>
File: absolute indifference.jpg (218KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
absolute indifference.jpg
218KB, 792x792px
>>377208479
Yes, as a stark contrast
Anything else to add, anime poster?
>>
>>377208369
No, what you do is play it off like you're doing that and on the final shot have him get kicked off a ledge.
>>
Tapкóвcкий but he is dead
>>
no one because that is a horrible idea.
>>
>ITT: fags who haven't seen Angels Egg or other cryptic anime movies.

It can be done. It just wont be aimed at the mainstream since it would most likely have very little dialogue and be told in chapters. Some movies are carried by atmosphere alone.
>>
>>377206250
>Spanish
That's Italian m8
but it's fun as fuck
>>
File: bonfire_dark-souls.jpg (615KB, 1505x1600px) Image search: [Google]
bonfire_dark-souls.jpg
615KB, 1505x1600px
Since it's going to be a movie with a silent protagonist and nobody talks more than 30 seconds, along with a minimal story, I would say nicolas refn, just like other anons said ITT.
Just add a fighting choreographist that actually knows how realistic medieval combat/sword and board works.
I think putting all that shit would be impossible so maybe a mini series would be better.
>>
Michael Bay

for shits and giggles
>>
>>377205346

Dark Souls would be borderline impossible to turn into a film. Making a conventional videogame film is already hard enough.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.