[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Repopulation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

What does /v/ think of the Repopulation? For those who don't know, it's an MMO that I personally hope will fill that hole left in my heart from SWG's closing and the recent lack of anything good in the genre.

The game is now back from an extended period of server shutdown following a bunch of drama that is now resolved, which means the game is available to play again. I want to try it, but does any anyone have any experience with the game that can either justify spending 20 burgers or keeping me from doing so?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/32230/The_Repopulation/
>>
It isnt done. That should be reason enough.
>>
>sandbox
>scifi
>space
So how does it compare to EVE? That seems like the natural current one, and that is in no way to say EVE is the pinnacle but it does seem like a decent basic line with SWG very, very long dead. Is this thing single universe? What's the business model? Are they serious about "sandbox" like ccp decided to be or are they just memeing it and will dump it if anyone does something "too disruptive"? Why not link to their site rather then fucking steam?
>>
I remember watching gameplay of this years ago, it looked like a 1:1 copy of SWG, even the menus and UI were the same.
>>
>>377185494
EVE is a spreadsheet simulator that rewards autism and spending real money though
>>
File: Spoiler Image.jpg (3KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
Spoiler Image.jpg
3KB, 100x100px
>>377184901
>fine op guess I'll give it a look
>go to site
>features
>"so players who wish to avoid PvP entirely, may do so on Normal servers."
GAY AND SHIT
>>
>>377185989
That's a letdown for me too, actually. I like open world PvP anywhere like what EQ2 did. Gotta love ganking someone's alt who was carrying a few plat.
>>
Saw this game years ago and wondered what happened to it.

I don't give money to incomplete games anymore though.
>>
>>377185876
>ebin 2nd hand memes from someone who has never played it
If you're OP you're doing a shitty job of selling this thing. If you're not you clearly don't bother with sandbox MMOs at all so why are you even in a thread on something trying to emulate SWG?
>>
>>377184901
game is utter fucking trash tried it a couple years ago
>>
File: 1263958097426.jpg (12KB, 426x304px) Image search: [Google]
1263958097426.jpg
12KB, 426x304px
>>377186135
In all seriousness good open pvp is pretty critical to having a decent sandbox and forcing interaction and thinking and organic consequences. The key is to also have "law" in some areas, and ensure that there are ways for people who choose to go to the trouble to move stuff around pretty securely in a range of options. Basically the whole thing has to be economically tuned, so that it's not some hardcoded game rule magic barriers that force people's actions but rather their own choices. So for example you don't get random high levels just ganking every n00b not because "anyone under level 10 cannot be engaged" per se, but rather because if they're in a high law zone you'll definitely be killed by the guards in turn and n00bs don't have anything of value that'd be worth your own death cost. But you still can if the n00b was a big enough dick and you're willing to pay, it's organic. It doesn't happen in general but only due to rational choice, and there is room for occasional irrationality to spice things up, and people can learn to share intel and think about other actions.

When a "sandbox" dev instead just resorts to hardcoded word of god, to me that just says "lazy". They couldn't be arsed to actually think things through and put in the effort to make a good system that'll self balance through mainly player action, not devgods. And that in turn makes me doubt the whole rest of the sandbox because self-tuning is key to the entire feature.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.