[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does every publisher needs to have their own vidya launcher

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: launchers.png (11KB, 284x282px) Image search: [Google]
launchers.png
11KB, 284x282px
Why does every publisher needs to have their own vidya launcher nowadays?
>>
Some kinda botnet spyware profiling tool database going on.
>>
so they don't have to give a cut of their profits to another distribution platform
>>
File: 1494254024598.gif (479KB, 434x444px) Image search: [Google]
1494254024598.gif
479KB, 434x444px
>Buy a game in Steam
>It won't run without opening Uplay first
>Uplay opens up Rockstar Social Network
>Finally get in game
>Games for Windows Live needs to update
>>
>>377095574
Saving 10 cents on the dollar by not giving a third party store a cut.
>>
>>377095574
Why do you want Valve to have a monopoly?
>>
>>377095687
This. it also helps when they have a shared membership type system across games and platforms like Uplay.
>>
>>377095687
explain >>377095691
then.
what's the point of having your own launcher when you still put the game on steam anyway.
>>
>>377095691
This has never happened
>>
>>377095769
Because they did it first and most of my games are on steam by now and I refuse to clutter with my PC with additional clients that aren't needed.
They also had the most time available to not make their service a giant pain to use.
>>
This is why consoles > PC gaming
>>
>>377095892
GTA IV had three of those layers at least.
The Uplay shit happens fairly often.
>>
>>377095769
This is the problem.

For the sake of convenience I'm all for Valve having a monopoly because fuck this fucking garbage >>377095691

But on the other hand it would most likely be a terrible thing in the long run because Valve has gone all out jew lately. They already, for all intents and purposes, do have a monopoly, though, but at least they still kind of exercise some kind of restraint when it comes to how much they cut from the sales and shit. If they have an actual monopoly one day, we'll be looking at like +60% cuts from small developers with no other options I bet.

Origin was bearable but Uplay is terrible. These launchers are just an inconvenience for me because I really do not give a single fuck about what shit EA wants to sell me. On the bright side, I never play any Ubishit or EAjew games that require Origin these days anyway.
>>
>>377095938

Goddammit, setting up GTA IV was a fucking bitch.
>>
I don't really play Ubisoft games and the odd chance I buy something from EA I get it on console so I don't have to deal with Origin. I don't mind the Blizzard launcher.
>>
>>377095691
>Ubisoft, Rockstar, and GFWL
what game?
>>
File: gaems.png (39KB, 465x193px) Image search: [Google]
gaems.png
39KB, 465x193px
It is a hassle but it will never be as bad as GFWL was. Goddamn I still have a friend who can't/won't get DS1 to work because of that bullshit.
>>
>>377096038
GTA
>>
>>377095862
Ubisoft does it because they still want the install base of steam, but they also want you in their ecosystem to try and show you how amazing lol it is. Bethesda also, but I'm pretty sure that's just to have more control over their new modding platform.
EA and Blizz are big enough to not need to care.
>>
>>377096143
GFWL has been patched out of DS1 for ages.
>>
>>377096219
I know but my bud went through so much bullshit while it was still there that he pretty much never went back to trying to play it.
>>
So they can give you POP UP FUCKING ADS

Jesus even steam had them but at least they were for new releases, discounts and you could easily disable them
>>
>>377095574
they all want to have a personal relationship with your data
>>
>>377096295
I hope you told him how much of a dumbass he is.
>>
>>377096335
What data do they collect besides what kind of hardware you are using?
If they collect what software you have installed outside of their ecosystem that would be total bullshit.
I remember steam did that with their surveys at the time you can opt not to submit that data, not sure what the case is now.
>>
File: 1494900281152.jpg (105KB, 592x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494900281152.jpg
105KB, 592x720px
PClets also told devs with their wallets that early access is 100% okay.

Cancerous cunts.
>>
>>377095574
It's the same principle behind every console: exclusives and controls over the pricing tags.
>>
>>377095574
>Why does every publisher needs to have their own vidya launcher nowadays?

As long as you have the resources, having your own service is infinitely better than having to deal with a second party.
Going to Steam means signing a very shitty agreement where Valve gets a massive cut of their sales, they have to work in support for all sorts of Steam bullshit like their achievement system, they have to hire new people to manage connection to Steam Servers, Steam Support, Steam Forums,...

Steam is a bad thing overall if you're any bigger developer.
>>
File: itch.io launcher.png (2KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
itch.io launcher.png
2KB, 128x128px
>>377096143
there's this one also
>>
>>377095769

I don't. They should just release games on GOG DRM free.

I always check GOG first when getting a game, becaue at least then I won't need the GoG launcher to play the game, and I can also get the installer to use whenever.
>>
>>377095574

If this didn't happen you'd get paid online, no sales etc just like the consoles....

It's a neccesary evil
>>
>>377095574
entitled much?
did you expect a drm software that doesnt need obnoxious lanchers?
>>
File: 79a.gif (23KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
79a.gif
23KB, 600x480px
>>377095691
Not even a poorfag, but I still pirate, if only to avoid this bullshit.
>>
Does anybody know what/when Origin's next On the House game is gonna be?
>>
Because then they can offer microtransactions through the store in their launcher rather than have to give valve a cut you dummies
>>
>>377095574
ur missing gog and uplay m8
>>
>>377095906
No.
>>
>>377097284
Donald Trump's Real Estate Tycoon
>>
>>377097665
Nice try, but we all know that anything with Donald's name on it is never actually "Free".
>>
>>377096148
Ubisoft has nothing to do with GTA. Now if it were steam -> rockstar -> GfWL, then it'd be on the money.
>>
>>377095906
piracy exists you cuck
>>
>>377095574
Listen goy you DON'T own your games alright you DON'T get to choose how you open them capiche?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.