[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we get the FGC to respect Melee? There is never going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: 2343603-2217710-box_ssbm[1].png (2MB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
2343603-2217710-box_ssbm[1].png
2MB, 960x960px
How do we get the FGC to respect Melee?

There is never going to be a Melee 2, so it's going to stick around for a long time. Probably even longer than SFV. So we're going to be neighbors with FGC for a looong time. It'd be nice if they just respected us a bit more.
>>
Move on from Melee. Let it die. Play something else.
>>
Its not worth respect.
>>
File: JPEG_1490856647691_-606026021.png (56KB, 200x153px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_1490856647691_-606026021.png
56KB, 200x153px
take a shower
>>
>>377090072
>How do we get the FGC to respect Melee?
How about convincing nintendo to re-release it on an HD & Upscaled format on their VC OR in a new release? With multiplayer support and perhaps some amiibos?
They have the tech to do it.
>>
>>377090192
this. It's time to move on.
>>
The game is amazing to me and I will continue to play it competitively for as long as I possibly can. Some retard on /v/ and/or some retard from FGC "respecting" it is completely irrelevant to me.
>>
Why would you want the respect of the FGC of all people? The only reason EVO is kept afloat is because of sm4sh and melee.
>>
>giving a shit about the FGC when only SF5 compares in terms of entrants/viewers
???
>>
File: megucka.gif (838KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
megucka.gif
838KB, 500x281px
>>377090072
>Only 4 viable characters that can ever be tournament viable
>The same top players in every major and almost always place with the same results
>Requires half a century old technology to play properly and EXTREMELY SPECIFIC factory defect controllers have been out of production for 10 years or else your star players will literally walk out on your tournament

The first step is to accept that the game and its community are a festering pile of dogshit.
>>
>>377090072
>muh party game needs to be taken as a serious esport

Let meemlee die already.
>>
>Melee
>Brawl
I liked the theme they had going with the names, smash 4 should've been Royale
>>
>>377090072
FGC here. Most of us respect Melee: The Game, but not Melee: The Scene.

Here's how you gain respect.
1. Stop trying to argue that Smash is a fighting game. FGC definition of fighting game is "A game that fits in the same genera as Street Fighter 2". If it doesn't have the basics of that game, it's not a fighting game. Arguing otherwise makes you guys look like autistic babies. If Melee was a fighting game, there wouldn't be a reason to consider them a seperate community.
2. Embrace what makes Smash a different from fighting games. It's ok if Smash isn't a fighting game. Promote 2v2 more. Have FFA tournaments with items as an alternative. Ect.
3. Take showers and wear some fucking deoderant. FGC events always smell bad, but the part of the event dedicated to smash always smells like butt.
4. Stop trying to gain respect and do your thing. The FGC will never 100% respect smash, as it's not a fighting game, and isn't a part of the FGC. Do not try and change this, or smash will be disrespected even more.
5. Stop being disrespectful at FGC events. I don't know how many times I've seen Smash players expect preferential treatment over every other game at FGC events. Fucking stop. You can ask for preferential treatment at your own events. Fighting game events are going to show preferential treatment to actual fighting games.
6. Respect goes both ways. Most smash players cry and whine about "SMASH IS A FIGHTING GAME TOO" but don't play and don't understand other fighting games. They don't know the history of the FGC, and aren't a part of it's culture, but pretend they're FGC. They pick and choose when they want to be considered a fighting game and when they don't.
7. Be more clear why you aren't playing Smash 4. Smash 4 is a bad game, but most FGC didn't play it, and don't understand WHY it's so bad. Let them know.
>>
Use lagless monitors like everyone else
Understand that you aren't going to get special treatment no matter how much you prop up top players
Embrace the smashbox, the difference between gc controllers is already great where top players refuse to ppay without a specific kind of broken one
>>
>>377092212
WOW. Spotted the fucking meleefag. First off, only one character is viable: Fox. I love it when you retards try and pretend as though other characters are viable, though. Nice try.

>almost always place with the same results

Top 8 results have been the exact same for the last 5 years at majors. How is it that I, an FGC bro, knows more about melee than you, a melee fag? Probably because you're retarded.
>>
File: reggie.gif (726KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
reggie.gif
726KB, 446x251px
>>377092414
>Digital monitors
>On an analog console
>>
>>377092443
>>377092212
What's so bad about having the same top players win? They put most of their time into the game, and never stop practicing. So of course they're gonna win.
>>
>>377092753
Most of them are paid to place in specific ranks to stir up drama anyways. It don't matter, none a this matters.
>>
>>377092282
>there is one, universal definition or set of criteria used to categorize fighting games
>WAHHHHHH IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT MY OPINION ON WHAT A FIGHTING GAME IS AS YOUR OWN OPINION THEN YOU'RE AUTISTIC

lel
>>
>>377092282
>"A game that fits in the same genera as Street Fighter 2"
when was this decided?
>>
>>377092842
>Most of them are paid to place in specific ranks to stir up drama anyways
is this true?
>>
Stop being cringy autists

Invite actual jap and korean players

Actually at least try to give a shit about some of the other games at tournaments instead of sticking to your nintendo hugbox

Accept the fact that it's the least "legit" fighter there due to the party nature of the series
>>
>>377093012
yep
>>
>>377090072
doesn't matter and it never did. the only people who care about fgc's respect are the people that are out of touch with their local scene, their regional scene, and the national scene. melee has always been grassroots and thrived in its own vacuum, barring some dips, outside of the fgc and it seems a misguided effort to think of them as anything but a neighbor.

the scene has otherwise birthed supernationals in every major region and broken into the e-sports money so I really don't see what the fgc's ""respect"" is supposed to add onto that
>>
>>377092282
I have no stake in the matter because I'm a 100% casul when it comes to fighters, but boy, arguing that Smash isn't a fighting game when 100% of non-autistic people would say it is one is some dumb shit. Quake and Arma are both FPS, there can be subsets within a genre. The genre is called Fighting Games, not SF2-Clones.
>>
>>377092282
>FGC definition of fighting game is "A game that fits in the same genera as Street Fighter 2"
Were you triggered by the prospect of Arms possibly appearing at EVO this year?
>>
Melee doesn't need FGC's respect. Melee is better than the FGC.
>>
>>377092863
>>377092957
I made my point.
This is how it always works out.
>Fighting game player says he doesn't think smash is a fighting game
>Smash player gets defensive and has to defend smash's honor because autism

You can believe smash is a fighting game. The autism is that you constantly have to be defending your game. Just let other people have fucking opinions.
>>
File: 1366536856678.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1366536856678.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>377093267
>>
When Next Smash actually improves upon Melee instead of Brawl I think we the FGC community can respect Smash
>>
>>377093217
>My argument
>Your head
Even more, when people in the FGC mention fighting games, they mean a very specific grouping of games. Smash isn't one of these games. Someone can call UFC Undisputed a Fighting Game, but it doesn't mean that it's a part of the same grouping of games.

There's likely a better term than "Fighting Game' for the grouping of games I'm talking about, but that's the term that some people in the FGC are using. It's literally short for "SF2 clone". If someone wants to argue that Smash is an SF2 clone, be my guest, embarass yourself,.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 281x179px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 281x179px
>>377093475
>>
>>377093375
I just asked when this was decided, not once did I say anything about smash. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they play smash. Stop being insecure.
>>
>>377092282
>FGC here. Most of us respect Melee: The Game
no

we don't

that's like saying quake players respect call of duty as a game
>>
>>377093534
How are GG, Tekken, and MVC3, SF2 clones?
>>
>>377093534
Isn't it the FGC then who's acting retarded when they are the only one to classify it that way?
I'm also doubting the credibility of that claim in the first place.
>>
>>377092863
>I made my point.

You did, here is your claim: "1. Stop trying to argue that Smash is a fighting game."

For example, I am not arguing that Smash is a fighting game. Personally, I do not have a solid set of criteria or analysis of overlapping components of games like SF, BB, GG, and so on in order to determine what a fighting game is. I have never thought about it in this way because I simply don't care about categorizing Smash with other games.

>FGC definition of fighting game is

Are you claiming that you know what every member of the "FGC" defines a fighting game to be?

>"A game that fits in the same genera as Street Fighter 2".

This is simply your own definition of what a fighting game is. It's pretty hilarious considering I'm not even sure what this is supposed to mean.

>If it doesn't have the basics of that game, it's not a fighting game.

Elaborate further. If you can't figure out what I mean by this, define basics. I'm sure it will be hilarious to watch your attempt at this and how many games you, and many others, would typically categorize as a fighting game not fall under your own definition here.

>Arguing otherwise makes you guys look like autistic babies.

Here's where it gets really hilarious. Refer to my post: >>377093375

No one has made a contesting definition (as far as I'm aware at this point; certainly not me) and therefore there is no argument here. You are simply doing exactly as I say in this post.

>If Melee was a fighting game, there wouldn't be a reason to consider them a seperate community.

You're claiming there aren't many variables that go into separating communities. You actually have no evidence, too. Nice try, though.

>You can believe smash is a fighting game. The autism is that you constantly have to be defending your game. Just let other people have fucking opinions.

I've explained above about my perspective on categorizing Melee. You are the only one claiming your definition here to be inarguable/ universal.
>>
>>377090072
be made by Capcom
>>
>>377094093
I accidentally mixed up posts. >Refer to my post: (this is your post)

The post I quoted initially being mine ofc

sry for the brief confusion
>>
>>377090072
Melee players don't have an ounce of respect for FGC games, shit goes both way
>>
>>377094093
>You're claiming there aren't many variables that go into separating communities
Hell, most of Melee's community being assholes that don't mesh with the FGC at large is grounds enough for that. Nothing to do with the game itself.
>>
>>377094090
you can count on the fact that anyone who claims fgc status in these threads have never been to a national, much less a local, so it's quite easy to take it all with a grain of salt

same for most smash posters probably
>>
Stop worrying about what other people say and play the game if you enjoy it. It's that fucking simple. No amount of people in the world calling me an autist or talking shit about the game will get me to stop playing Melee.
>>
>>377090072
The FGC will never respect Smash because both Smash are bigger than us and all you're doing is shoe-horning yourself into our tournaments for your own benefits without giving anything back in return and without caring about the game that had to be removed to make space for you. You talk about "deserving it" because you have a big scene and viewerships, but that doesn't do shit for players of other games, the only people who benefit from that are tournament organizers who are less than 1% of the FGC. It's basically gentrification.
>>
>>377092002
move on to what exactly? The only similar game is project m and that will never get widespread adoption again.
>>
>>377094579
>without giving anything back in return
EVO gets most of it's money from Smash, and why should Smash players give anything in return when the FGC gives them nothing in the first place?
>>
>>377092282
>have FFA tournaments with items as an alternative
are you actually serious about this? Nobody would pay money to enter this.
>>
>>377093048
there are no top jap or korean players. They literally do not exist.
>>
It's a kids game. Same as Pokken. Nintendo is the fisher price of the video game industry.
>>
>>377094867
>EVO gets most of it's money from Smash
And like I said, this only benefits TO. What do we care how much money Wizard made?

>FGC gives them nothing in the first place?
You're given space and time at our tournaments at the detriment of our own games, how is that nothing? Melee taking 3 hours on Sunday means an FGC game isn't on sunday. Having to accomodate two 2000-man tournaments means other games aren't being run.
>>
>>377092282
This is some tasty bait.
>>
>>377090072
Retard, we basically fund the whole fucking thing. Most of the views and audience is all about smash. They should basically already bow down in front of us by now.
>>
>>377095040
>And like I said, this only benefits TO. What do we care how much money Wizard made?
Some of the money goes to hosting the event.
>You're given space and time at our tournaments at the detriment of our own games, how is that nothing?
You act like it's given for free, melee had to earn it's spot, and the only reason sm4sh is there is because Nintendo pays for it, despite how much money and views it brings in.
>>
>>377095040
>Melee taking 3 hours on Sunday

wew lad are you in for a treat this year
>>
>>377095526
>Some of the money goes to hosting the event.
But the event only cost more to host because Smash is there. If they didn't have the money from Smash, the tournament would be smaller, which would be fine because they wouldn't have to host Smash.

>melee had to earn it's spot
The problem is your very mentality that you think spots should be "earned". You earned it only in your eyes and the eyes of TOs who want your money. The rest of the FGC doesn't care about your viewers and your attendants for a very simple reasons; your viewers aren't us, and your attendants aren't us. Most Smash players only play Smash and only watch Smash. Most FGC players play multiple games and watch multiple games - but not Smash. So when a game gets bumped because of Tekken, there's less animosity because even if it's not someone's favorite game, we've played Tekken or at least watched and enjoyed Tekken and we know Tekken players. "I" as an individual am not a Tekken player, but Tekken players are part of the "Us". They're "our guys". To give you a very concrete exemple, BlazBlue will be played on Sunday this Evo. By all standards, it didn't "earn" this spot. BlazBlue is a dead game with no future that probably won't have more than 300 players. But most pf the FGC doesn't care about the game having to "earn" its spot. BlazBlue players are part of us, they play games similar to our games, they watch the same games as us, we share players, etc. By viewership and attendance numbers, the spot really should've gone to Xrd instead, but Xrd players were more than happy to have been given the sunday spot last year and were willing to let BlazBlue have it this year. Smash players on the other hand are consistantly bickering and shitting on TOs for not giving them the spot which they should've "earned" because of their viewerships and attendance and when you're not busy arguing with the FGC, then Melee and Smash 4 players argue with each other instead.
>>
>>377090072
stinky day
>>
not being a trash community who plays a trash game
>>
>>377096484
>But the event only cost more to host because Smash is there. If they didn't have the money from Smash, the tournament would be smaller, which would be fine because they wouldn't have to host Smash
And? That money still goes into hosting the next event, if not, way more than what was spent hosting the event in the first place. That's still giving back.
>The problem is your very mentality that you think spots should be "earned"
What's wrong with wanting spots to be earned?
>The rest of the FGC doesn't care about your viewers and your attendants for a very simple reasons; your viewers aren't us, and your attendants aren't us
Why should we care? Also you don't speak for the whole FGC.
>Most Smash players only play Smash and only watch Smash
source for this? I play almost every fighting game I can find, as long as it's not shit.
>BlazBlue players are part of us, they play games similar to our games, they watch the same games as us, we share players, etc. By viewership and attendance numbers, the spot really should've gone to Xrd instead, but Xrd players were more than happy to have been given the sunday spot last year and were willing to let BlazBlue have it this year. Smash players on the other hand are consistantly bickering and shitting on TOs for not giving them the spot which they should've "earned" because of their viewerships and attendance and when you're not busy arguing with the FGC, then Melee and Smash 4 players argue with each other instead.
Funny, I seen a good amount of XRD players complaining on here, twitter, and reddit about the Sunday spot. I also see a lot of FGC players un-ironically shit on other games like MKX, Skullgirls, the list goes on. Stop acting like the same stuff doesn't happen in the FGC.
>>
File: worst oc of all time.png (112KB, 1942x1662px) Image search: [Google]
worst oc of all time.png
112KB, 1942x1662px
>>
>>377098098
someone who can draw should make this but better

Melee players are poor as fuck, smelly as fuck, and would suck a top player's dick if they let them have an autograph.
>>
File: bait.png (57KB, 625x656px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
57KB, 625x656px
>>377093089
>>
>>377090072
You don't
it's a fun game but it's more of a gimmick game than a fighting game
>>
>>377090072
FGC really has no reason to respect people that follow a game where 75% of it has to be turned off to make it tournament viable.
>>
>>377090072

You don't. Its a party game kept afloat by autists with enough money to make it their vanity project to pretend its a real fighting game.
>>
>Meleefags want to justify their 10+ years wasted playing a party game competitively.

It's your fault, faggots.
>>
>>377092753
It gets boring, predictable, and repetitive. It stagnates the meta very badly, so badly, that any new tech found is treated like the second coming of jesus. Its just painful. Time itself cannot be stopped, nearly 90% of the people that watch the game watch it to see their favorite people win, and those very same people that always play will either quit when they are too old, or quit when their hands aren't usable anymore. Can you imagine years from now, when asked what the highlight of your life was so far, and telling them "oh, winning a Melee tournament for the 3rd time in my life! Nothing can top it! I can die happy, knowing that I did that!"? It would be truly sad and depressing. Even as a NEET that knows he will die having accomplished nothing but playing tons of games, I would feel bad if someone told me they wasted 10 or more years of their life playing a single game. I'd feel that way for any game really.
>>
>>377097903
>That money still goes into hosting the next event, if not, way more than what was spent hosting the event in the first place. That's still giving back.
You're giving it to TOs. Not us. I don't get to enter Wizard's new mansion and swim in his pool.

>What's wrong with wanting spots to be earned?
You are strangers to our community and you're trying to force us your follow your rules.

>Why should we care?
I asked you the same, and you've failed to answer.

>source for this?
During every evo they have a website containing various data on the attendants. They take it down after evo so you'll have to take my word for it, but if you don't believe me you can just look at it next evo. One data you can look at is the amount of crossover. For both Smash games, only 30% of the players had entered a second game. For Street Fighter V, 50% had entered at least another game. For Xrd, 80%. If you want more than just data, look at how the communities communicate. Shoryuken started as a Capcom website, but it's had forums for other figthing games for over a decade. It has sub-forums for Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Virtua Fighter and more. Dustloop is mainly an Arcsys site, but it also has sub-forums for Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart, Gundam and more. The only non-Smash sub-forum on Smashboards is for Pokken. I can look at the top 32 of any non-Smash game at Evo and see player who've placed top 32 in at least one other game a different year. If I look at the top 32 of Smash games I don't see anyone who can claim that, if they've even entenred another game.
>>
>>377099482
>You're giving it to TOs. Not us. I don't get to enter Wizard's new mansion and swim in his pool
Money goes to the TO's and some is used for hosting the event, that's already giving back. You act as if smash players are getting in for free, that's not true.

>You are strangers to our community and you're trying to force us your follow your rules
Nobody is forcing you to do anything, as seen with the BB pick. And that still doesn't answer my question, what's so wrong about wanting spots to be earned?

>During every evo they have a website containing various data on the attendants. They take it down after evo so you'll have to take my word for it, but if you don't believe me you can just look at it next evo. One data you can look at is the amount of crossover. For both Smash games, only 30% of the players had entered a second game. For Street Fighter V, 50% had entered at least another game. For Xrd, 80%. If you want more than just data, look at how the communities communicate.

I'll just take your word for this, but I don't see the problem with people who don't want to play other games, maybe they just don't find those games as exciting.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.