[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there ever been a game you've felt completely overwhelmed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 14

File: 15482485-brain-pain-in-gray.jpg (25KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
15482485-brain-pain-in-gray.jpg
25KB, 450x450px
Has there ever been a game you've felt completely overwhelmed by and ashamed that you can't wrap your head around it?

I cannot for the life of me play Brood War or the Witcher games.
>>
Can't play dark souls. No idea what's happening and I'm too intimidated to try learning it.
>>
>>377086447
I cant play Dwarf Fortress, i mean, i really want to. But something just feels "off", id wish it had controls more like Dungeon Keeper, or Evil Genius, then it'd be so sweet to get into.
>>
MOBAs and PvP FPS with the exception of Overwatch and TF2
>>
>>377086984
Dark Souls story isn't even that good. People praise because most of it is told via item's description and enviroment so the player can piece the puzzles together, but once they do their usual reaction is "That's it?"
>>
>>377086447
>Witcher games
OP is a casual baby, news after 11
seriously how? they're not hard at all
>>
File: IMG_3035.jpg (216KB, 980x950px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3035.jpg
216KB, 980x950px
>>377086447
Digimon
Dark Souls
SMT
Most metroid games, except Super which i somehow managed to beat
>>
>>377087150
you try mouse interface and tilesets?
>>
I can't play a single FPS worth a shit. I have something like 10% accuracy whenever I try.
>>
>>377086447
SMT4
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
any rts
>>
File: 9JGix[1].jpg (274KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
9JGix[1].jpg
274KB, 1680x1050px
who was in the wrong here?
>>
I was stuck on the fucking barrels in Sonic 3 & Knuckles for several years
>>
Most Wii games. I cannot for the life of me get used to motion controls. Just nope.
>>
File: too smart to follow the law.png (221KB, 598x395px) Image search: [Google]
too smart to follow the law.png
221KB, 598x395px
I feel that way when I play DCS World when trying to learn the A10c but its a good feel
>>
>>377087683
Same I hated playing Goldeneye with it
Same with Metroid
>>
I can't robust in SS13
>>
I want to like the older thief games, but the resolution, controls, and weird physics make it unplayable for me.
>>
>>377087343
The story is hot garbage. The storytelling is great, the combat is satisfying.
The lore is a big disgusting mess.
>>377086984
Just pick up the game and start playing. You don't need to grasp any of the underlying story bullshit because it's mostly superficial anyway. Just play the fun game with a nice atmosphere and be mildly satisfied.
Unless you mean you don't think you can learn the mechanics, in which case that would mean you're literally retarded.
>>
>>377087492
despite what people may tell you, there are more factors at play to good aim at a fps than purely internal ones.

I am mostly talking about your setup, these things include.
A large mouse pad, this is absolutely necessary. A very useful tool for keeping your wire from interfering is to use a mouse bungee.
A good mouse that is in a grip and shape you want. This might be the hardest choice you will make since it's more expensive than the rest, buying many to try is not an option, buy large if you want to lift very little and have a slower mouse, buy a smaller one if you want to lift often and have quicker mouse movements.
>>
>>377086447
Street Fighter V
People,say it's the easiest to get into but the 6 different attack buttons feels so overwhelming, bit to mention I have no clue how to link hits into a combo
>>
Most 4X and grand strategy. I play alot of fighting games so I'm used to things happening all the time. I recognize it's not the game I'm just retarded and can't take everything in at once.
>>
I remember doing the first UEF mission on vanilla SupCom, killing the Cybran guy felt like it took much longer than it should have. After a few missions I just wasn't feeling it
>>
>>377089149
Is it your first fighting game? Fighting games are super difficult to wrap your head around at first. I grew up on them so it eventually just clicked for me.

What's your CFN? I'd be up to try and help.
>>
Witcher is idiot-proof m8, especially 2 and 3.
>>
>>377087743
Tried playing Goldeneye's MP once, i don't know if everyone was using controllers or they were just autistically good with the motion controls
>>
I can't get invested in wrpgs no matter how hard I try
The stories never manage to grap me, and I read tons of shitty fiction
>>
>>377086447
EVE Online. I take one look at the sidebars and start to get a headache.
I'd feel obligated to play it if I was in business, though.
>>
>>377086447
Leauge of Legends, no joke. I had no idea what to do and it was way too fast paced to enjoy.

Also Mario & Luigi Partners in Time. I could never get used to controlling four characters at once. I barely beat the first boss and got stuck in a desert area.
>>
>>377087469
Tried them, they still felt really off, like something was just not working right, maybe its because its not smooth enough for me compared to real mouse, because the mod i tried was almost "emulating" the key movement with mouse so... no damn idea
>>
>>377089497
It's not my first but I haven toasted a complex one in such a long time that I can't wrap my head around it anymore. Was decent in MvC2 but then I started playing the really simplified MvC3 and lost all ability to combo using the LH setup. SFV feels overwhelming because it has LMH
>>
>>377086447
Most fighting games until I decided to actually sit down and try to learn all about the genre. Still don't get some concepts, like option selects or roman cancels but I'm catching on slowly.

At least I understand a game's basic mechanics now. I played Soul Calibur 2 without ever knowing shit about Guard Impacts and Breaks for the longest time until I sat through the single player adventure mode and I played and watched UMvC3 for fucking years before I understood stuff like team order, team aerial combos and how those worked, and so on.

Considering that I'm still scrubby as fuck, it's really no wonder why more people can't get into fighting games.
>>
>>377089774
Ah okay so most of your learning has been through marvel, that'll mess with the pace of SF.

Best thing I can say is try to learn the fundamentals of street fighter in general, mostly cause you won't be seeing the bullshit people pull in medium-high level play. Dont worry about combos or specials, just worry about landing clean hits and controlling space. I can see how going from 4 button to 6 would mess you up, I've been playing Marvel, SFV, and Guilty Gear for the past week and switching games sometimes takes a moment to recalibrate myself.
>>
>>377089957
Have you played Xrd? Definitely made roman cancels easier to actually implement.

I've been playing UMvC3 casually for years and have only just learned how to do decent 100-0 combos in the last month. Its honestly crazy how mucb you can progress after jumping the hurdle.
>>
MMOs in general, i used to enjoy them years ago but it just seems like the genre hasn't went anywhere in the past decade.
>>
>>377090116
>>377089774
u should play cammy
>>
File: Unlimited_Saga_cover.jpg (24KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
Unlimited_Saga_cover.jpg
24KB, 211x300px
Have you ever actually tried to play this game?

It's the fucking rubix cube of videogames, even with fucking decades of rpg knowledge on my side I can't understand this game's mechanics.
>>
All point and click adventure games
>>
>>377086447
Brood war is about channeling dark occult energies in order to play it.
You have to sacrifice parts of your soul to increase your APM.
You never supposed to think whatsoever while playing the game, you simply must Do.
A good method is to channel Hate into your units and Demand the enemies death.
>>
>>377087590
EYE being incomprehensible is more of a meme than it is true. Everything starts to make sense the moment you finish one cycle. Everything that doesn't is intentionally ambiguous or superficial at best - like how you don't have to understand the metastreumonic force beyond "it's the warp from WH40k".

Huan did nothing wrong and everything is Rimanah's fault.
>>
Multiplayer games, especially FPS are way too difficult to get into. I grew up with JRPGs and will never escape that comfort zone.
>>
>>377090269
>Have you played Xrd? Definitely made roman cancels easier to actually implement.
Never played Xrd, no. Sort of want to try getting into it. Currently trying to teach myself some SF. Feels great finally learning how to do some inputs consistently and learning how to do stuff like confirming into supers. I haven't really played any matches with anyone yet.
Just practicing for now.
>>
>>377090359
I remember this, diddnt it have like 700h worth of gameplay or some shit?
>>
>>377090338
Why? I'd figured Ryu would be the easiest to pick up, I've only been using Urien
>>
File: 215211005_obygi-2100x20000.jpg (777KB, 1948x967px) Image search: [Google]
215211005_obygi-2100x20000.jpg
777KB, 1948x967px
Literally my exact experience.
>>
>>377086447
Happened with CK2 at first; but when I got it I ended up binging for a week straight
>>
>>377090408
They were a product of their time, if you didn't play them at the time then you likely won't enjoy them now. Walking simulators are the new point and click adventures, they just require less brainpower, which is a product of current times.
>>
>>377090513

I know it sank the SaGa series
>>
>>377090359
I almost beat one route of the game, but having to fight 14 bosses in a row is brutal.
>>
>>377090338
I already play Boxer and Akuma so I think I'm good

>>377090527
Ryu is a good place to start but he isn't doing to well tier wise. Urien is one of the best in the game but you really have to put in work, I avoid playing him in ranked cause I have no clue what I'm doing.

Cammy is pretty fucking braindead so if you can confirm off of random hits then you win.
>>
>>377086447
It's just so boring.
>>
>>377087590
>>377090438
This game. I spent half a day playing it and by the end of the day playing I still had absolutely no clue what was going on or what I was doing
>>
Not really, the only reason i dropped something is if i found it extremely boring, i don't see why i should be overwhelmed by a game.
>>
I can't into fightan whatsoever.

Also Souls PvP, Dominions to an extent, Atmospherics in SS13, From The Depths, and Factorio.
>>
>>377090496
Nah bro I get that, been doing the same thing with Marvel just practicing and shit. It also helps if you have anyone around or a little better than your skill level to play with sometimes.

And yeah GGXrd made roman cancelling much easier. GGXrd Rev2 is actually coming out soon and is a great place to get back into the series, with a really fucking good tutorial.
>>
>>377090614
It's not that i don't enjoy them,they are too hard for me,i never know what i'm supposed to do
>>
MOBAs, i have tried LoL, DOTA, HotS, Smite etc. Every time i try to play one i just feel like falling asleep. I just don't understand the whole genre. I kinda like the different characters but everything else is just too confusing. I don't get why there's those minions running around, why there are towers, why the moving is awkward, why just one map with three lanes etc.

It's just mind-boggling how this is the most popular genre these days.
>>
>>377089708
It's okay anon, 9 years in and I still get confused.
>>
>>377090795

Souls PvP depends on the game. I've done tournaments in 3 and basically there are 2 main concepts it's about: having good rollcatch on your weapons (so that means the CSS is no longer godtier as a lot of its rollcatch is gone due to nerfs) and speed. Hyperarmor ain't worth shit because any weapon with lots of hyperarmor is generally so slow that you can just punish them on recovery.
>>
>>377090970
Various occult rituals and strong arm tactics.
>>
>>377087381
I think he's talking about the size of them. W3 is arguably one of the biggest games ever made.
>>
>>377086447
Any serious fighting game
RTS on a competitive level (I enjoy the campaigns)
The Last Remnant (superficially it's fine but there's a bunch of bullshit under the hood that can potentially ruin you, I can't be bothered)
Diablo and its clones once you hit the late-game and have to deal with all kinds of meta bullshit that involves spamming the best AOE move(s) while you lifesteal for a bajillion damage. I just want to fucking send my minions at everything but I always eventually hit some roadblock and then don't feel like playing anymore.
>>
>>377090670
Sounds like SaGa to me.
>>
>>377091036
What's rollcatch
>>
>>377090970
The more you play and understand, the more fun it actually gets. I honestly don't blame you though because it took me like 25 levels in LoL to not build the recommended item set. Unless you keep track of everything that is going on, including items and champion skills, it gets very overwhelming very quickly.
>>
>>377091164
You should try out Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance/Champions of Norrath, they're EZ mode Diablo clones so you won't have to worry about the endgame meta.

They are only on consoles though and they don't emulate very well.
>>
File: 1449370307922.jpg (17KB, 385x387px) Image search: [Google]
1449370307922.jpg
17KB, 385x387px
>>377086447
Anything that requires very fast reflexes and anything that requires strategy or tactics, despite both of those being my favourite types of games
>tfw dunce
>>
>>377091195

Rollcatch is where due to the active frames on a weapon's swing, it will "catch" the enemy while they're at the tail end of their active roll and cause them to take damage.

You know how sometimes you take a hit even though it feels like the actual swing missed? It did miss, but the frames the swing exist for extend for longer than the actual swing itself by a fraction of a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2O_SJc-um0
>>
>>377086447
I can't play Civ 3 anymore. I've played it on the higher difficulties when I was like 12, but now I'm stumped by constant overpopulations and hunger. Feels pretty bad, I'll have to read the rules patiently.
>>
File: Lolwut4.jpg (167KB, 449x900px) Image search: [Google]
Lolwut4.jpg
167KB, 449x900px
>>377086447
Nier Automata... it is just too deep.......
>>
Paradox ones.
>>
>>377091435
This is why it's hard to take Souls pvp seriously. It's like the lag became so based people created the meta around it.
>>
>>377091542

It's not lag, it's animation mechanics. And really once a weapon is universally seen to have super-roll catching properties, FROM tends to just reduce the number of active frames on that weapon instead of letting people adapt.
>>
File: our darkest purpose.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
our darkest purpose.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
DUDE IT WAS ALL A REPRESENTATION OF DETERIORATING MENTAL CONDITION AND YOU DON'T EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE HAHAHAHAHAHA

fuck off.
>>
>>377090359
This game is an eyesore.
THIS GAME. THIS GAME. THIS GAME.
It's the only PS2 disc I've actually destroyed in a fit of tard rage. I was over 18 too.
>>
>>377091542
The only reason the Carthus Curved Sword got nerfed was because it could roll catch on top of having the fucking insane bleed level of 41 in a hollow build. Both aspects were nerfed heavily.
>>
>>377091717
Also, that you got both of those aspects just from R1 spamming.
>>
Crusader Kings 2 is like that for me.

Vicky 2, EU4, no problem. I nearly pulled off a WC in my last GB run without intending it to be one.

But fucking CK2. I just don't 'get' it. What do I do? How do I expand?
>>
>>377086447
DDS games in general. I'm could consider myself a beginner at them, maybe all the way up to some normal difficulty stuff. SOME normal difficulty stuff. Once it starts creeping into harder territory my fingers are just too fucking dumb to keep pace.
>>
Gears of war. I legit look like a fucking old man when I play these games. I can play UT, Halo, CoD, MOBAS, DaS, etc... extremely fucking well but no matter how much time I put into GoW I still suck just as much ass as when I started.
>>
File: 1281209713109.jpg (6KB, 252x260px) Image search: [Google]
1281209713109.jpg
6KB, 252x260px
>>377086447
Monster Hunter, but then I watched ProJared's videos

>tribabby for lyfe
>>
>>377092063
I meant DDR games here. Maybe it's not just my fingers that are the problem. :^)
>>
File: 1479777838687.jpg (94KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479777838687.jpg
94KB, 960x720px
>>377086447
Star Craft in general. I'm not interested enough to memorize key binds and build orders. On top of scouting, god forbid I try to save my scout from dying and end up with too many minerals, resource gathering, micro-ing a bunch of different unit abilities, memorizing the other guys buildings/build orders.. it's just too much fucking shit.
>>
SS 13 blew my mind for a while. Inasmuch as you need to learn the "culture" as well as the intricacies of the gameplay. Have improved somewhat
>>
Wargame is it for me. I can handle most of the campaign things, but in multiplayer directing a firebase to move up, flanking force to move in, microing your AA, recon all the time, keeping ahead of supply demands, doing the same thing on other front and so on. I really want to learn though, one of the few games with FDF in it in any shape or form.
>>
>>377092329
I keep meaning to play SS13 but i feel like i'm way behind on the curve, it doesn't seem like the kind of game where people would be welcoming to new players.
>>
>>377092329
it would probably help if it wasn't developed on a platform that runs and plays like its from the fucking 80s. The worst part is that like 5 projects have tried to recreate it on something that actually has some sense to its key bindings and interactions but they all fall through because the game is complex as fuck to boot.
>>
File: ff3ds.jpg (2MB, 3260x1370px) Image search: [Google]
ff3ds.jpg
2MB, 3260x1370px
The only mainline FF game I've every played and hated every minute of it. I got up to this skeleton asshole that kept changing his weakness and dropped it there.

>random battles
>tons of grinding
>can't save in dungeons
>requiring certain job classes

Don't understand how people enjoy this shit
>>
File: TS.png (888KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
TS.png
888KB, 1280x800px
Wargame. Any other RTS for that matter, especially when they let you build fortifications and place other structures.
>>
Supreme Commander.

Every other RTS is fine, but I'm just too stupid to build up an economy that doesnt instantly go down the shitter. Being able to build a super unit without bottoming out is a wild dream
>>
>>377092552
the idea is to stay away from any job that actually matters on the ship (Security especially) because it takes like a solid week of play to learn how to move properly and pick shit up and use stuff on other stuff.
>>
I try and try to understand Dragon Age lore, but only the words stick, not the definitions. I never really get what's happening.
>>
>>377092558
Considering one class (assistant) basically has no expectations of anything other than dying like redshirts there is a place to learn some before the more complicated professions.
As an active DF player though i can say it definately requires more autism. Also
>hear there used to be /vg/ and /tg/ threads >noone makes them anymore
> :c
>>
>>377092587
I get all lost in the cool units and buildings during RTSs.
Feels so souless to just spam shit and follow algorithms.
Fun for some people tho i guess.
>>
I actually like being overwhelmed and learning to deal with amazing complexity

But now I don't enjoy videogames anymore
>>
>>377086447
Spacechem.
I barely play any puzzle games, got word of this being a decent puzzle game, put a few hour then just gave up because it was pretty hard. Had a few fun hours with it doe.
>>
>>377086447
Any game with stat systems or multiple builds/styles. I hate having too much choice, I just get overwhelmed.
>>
>>377093194
>playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R
>always have a mini panic attack when i'm carrying too much weight because i don't know what weapon to drop
Can't i just have them all? Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>377092552
They surprisingly are. Especially if you go somewhere like /vg/station, they absolutely love helping out new players.
>>
>>377086447
I tried Pathologic once but I failed to survive first day. After that I kinda moved to other games.
I'm still a little shy to start playing Stalker games as well. Many crazy stories about that game and I'd like to be in a special mood to embrace it.
There are also jrpg games from PS2 era I didn't even start, as they'll require 100+ hours to complete, and I don't have time for this. I already started FFVI and I dropped it after 10 hours of gameplay. Not literally dropped but again, I started playing something different and now I'd have a real problem to understand what I am suppose to do and what happened to my heroes lately.
>>
I wouldn't say I can't wrap my mind around the games I play but recently I've been finding it very hard to thoroughly enjoy video games like I used to
>>
>>377086447

Civilization games
So many pointless variables, so many stupid options, and everything is super-fucking-slow. It feels like work.
>>
I'm having a rough time with elite:dangerous

The crushing, lonely expanse of space just messes with me somehow. Plus whenever you warp you are close enough to a sun for it to cook you.
>>
>>377094923

warping is just a loading screen and you can go afk during space travel for the most part because you only need to decelerate when 7 seconds are left to your destination
>>
I love RPGs but I hate them all when I play them for the first time

>I don't understand how the stats work, what each what does
>I don't know which builds are good
>I don't know whats the best order to do stuff
>Where should I assign my stat points?
>Fuck the items have stats too what the fuck should I equip

Fuck stats seriously, give me classes and let the game autodistribute the points. Also have a tooltip that recommends the best gear.
>>
>>377095006
That's not a very good tip, if you go afk too often you're just going to end up getting pulled out interdicted and murdered eventually.
>>
>>377095480

You only get interdicted when getting close to a station though.
Playing the game is not a good idea.
>>
>>377095404

You might like Final Fantasy 9 then. All the abilties you just gain from earning AP (which every battle gives) and the most common thing to do is just keep your equipment on until you master the ability, meaning you don't need the gear equipped to use it.

Plus, press select at any time and it gives you a brief description of whatever you're hovered over.
>>
I literally can't play racing games. Not even Mario kart. It's like I'm missing perspective. I always crash, overshoot turns, barely follow the road. It's weird because I'm great at other "hard" genres like fightan, shmups, RTS. I just can't play racing games for my life.
>>
>>377086447
MOBAs, but I'm not ashamed by it, I just think it's not worth it to learn all that bullshit in order to play top-down counter strike.
>>
>>377092561
you literally chose the worst final fantasy game to play
>>
MOBAs but I don't really care about not being able to play them.

Hearts of Iron/EUIV/CK2 is a type of game I wish I knew how to play.
>>
Romancing SaGa 3 taught me how it feels to be casual filtered.
>>
>>377086447
Serious RTS, Starcraft in particular.
I love dicking around in RTS games tho. But i really can't be bothered with memorizing the build orders and APM. I love TD modes and games, so i love turtling.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.