[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are games based on movies so terrible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

Why are games based on movies so terrible?
>>
>>377058828
They aren't made to be games, they're made to promote movies
>>
Why are movies based on games so terrible
>>
>implying Spiderman 2 wasn't the best Spiderman game of the 6th gen
>implying 007 The World is Not Enough wasn't a straight improvement on Goldeneye

I admit those are more the exception than the rule, but there are decent movie games.
>>
File: CAN YOU COUNT.jpg (150KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
CAN YOU COUNT.jpg
150KB, 800x600px
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>377058828
Spider man 2
Lotr Rotk
Harry Potter quidditch world cup

>>377059213
this one too
>>
File: clip+(2017-05-16+at+12.42.18).jpg (103KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
clip+(2017-05-16+at+12.42.18).jpg
103KB, 500x496px
Feel sorry for you if you never played this one back in the day
>>
>>377058828

Toy Story 2
Aladdin
GoldenEye (even if it doesn't follow the movie step by step)
GitS for the PS1 (same as above)
LotR III
City of Lost Children
Harry Potter 2 on PS2

And I know I'm missing quite a few
>>
>>377058828
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The Godfather: The Game
Mad Max
The Warriors
Spider man 2
>>
File: 1473063744424.jpg (1MB, 1623x2886px) Image search: [Google]
1473063744424.jpg
1MB, 1623x2886px
They're just following suit, being part of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

a-at least the books were good though

"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>377059983
Never gets old.
>>
>>377059983
go back to /tv/
>>
iirc the prisoner of azkaban game was pretty decent
Can't verify it since I don't have the disk anymore and Dolphin couldn't run it last time I tried
>>
They used to be good.

Spiderman for the PS1 was my shit.
>>
>>377059983
I wish books were good but I just can't justify reading them.
>>
File: auto-bad game.png (30KB, 96x107px) Image search: [Google]
auto-bad game.png
30KB, 96x107px
>>
>>377059983
This list is garbage though.

>The Great Gatsby is god-tier because the school board makes every single freshmen in America read it
>W-What, you want me to explain why it's good? N-No, go away.
>>
There are a handful of movie games that are actually great like Riddick, but for the most part, you either have competent but derivative knock offs with the movies setting or absolute trash that was shat out by the publisher in time for the movie's release.
>>
>>377059983
>Look at me, I'm being a contrarian. Anything popular or modern is bad
>>
>>377060886
Where do you think we are
>>
>>377060819
Anon, gatsby was a great book long before it was required reading
Go back and read it again, this time without having to worry about being tested on it. And actually read it, not sparknotes it or whatever people use nowadays.
>>
>>377058828
They're often rushed to meet demand. Their real dark age started in the mid 2000s once the novelty of video game tie-ins died off, and by the time of pic related, most were worse than LJN. It's a miracle they barely come out anymore, due to the increasing requirements needed to make a successful video game.
>>
>>377060953
It's a good book. It's nowhere near god-tier.
>>
>>377060819
Fucking this. If gatsby came out today it would just be another dollar store trash novel.
>Muh baby's first symbolism book
>>
>>377060985
Yeah, nowhere near as good as Wheel of Time or Dark Tower IMO.
>>
>>377060680
this
>>
>>377061018
>>Muh baby's first symbolism book
...anon.
just
fuck.
symbolism isn't even 1/10 of the book. that's the school board through and through.
>>
File: 1366445060410.png (83KB, 222x287px) Image search: [Google]
1366445060410.png
83KB, 222x287px
>>377059983
>Average novel like The Great Gatsby is god-tier just because it was popularized as an easy read for teenagers so they can identify symbolism
>Le eyes of god wow so deep
>Great novel like Brave New World from 1931 that boggles the mind at how it presents such shockingly believable and modern idea for a dystopia that feels like it was written in the heart of the cold war era, and still continues to blow minds to this day, somehow low tier

The Great Gatsby = Edison
Brave New World = Tesla
>>
>>377061563
It's always cute to see who actually read the book and who googled about the book because the eyes appear for 4 pages total the entire novel.
>>
>>377061881
It's always cute to see an illiterate fool throw away someone's entire argument because he mentioned one point in the context that it's a common excuse for why the book is "deep" and act like 95% of everything else they said doesn't exist.
>>
>>377061881
Dude are you fucking kidding me? You're trying to imply someone didn't read The Great Gatsby and use that as a basis of argument? Literally everyone has read the book. It is REQUIRED as part of the English curriculum. You're an idiot.
>>
>>377061881
Literally everyone's read that book though.
>>
>>377062065
>It is REQUIRED as part of the English curriculum.
I feel like this is bait, but there's this site called sparknotes which tells you the important part of books without having to read through the fluff.
>>
>>377062006
The entire argument being that the entire literary community has conspired to convince American high school students that The Great Gatsby is a great book when really it's just an effective teaching tool for symbolism?

I want to be sure I have this straight.
>>
>>377058828
The older Harry Potter games were good, the later ones were shit because EA decided to change it from an exploration game to a linear cover shooter.
>e3
>panel trying to show off the new harry potter game
>announcer trying to fluff it up with spell names
>some other guy on stage keeps going HEY THAT'S JUST LIKE A SHOTGUN/ROCKET LAUNCHER/SNIPER RIFLE
>>
>>377062430
I'm 80% sure that if they used the version without the eyes cover art, that it wouldn't even bee that great at teaching symbolism.
But honestly it seems like they're still salty they failed the quiz because they forgot to read the chapter last night.
>>
>>377059983
>Alice
>shit-tier
kys fag
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.