[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: 356758578569.jpg (118KB, 800x947px) Image search: [Google]
356758578569.jpg
118KB, 800x947px
Released over 21 years ago, still get the chill every time I come back to it.

Can we discuss how terrific and fabulous Quake is?
Never a fps has gave me the same feeling.
>>
>>377001840
>WAH MUH QUAKE
>QC plays like QL with movement divided among champs and the occasional press "F" to do fuck all

I played UTIII and UTIV but got on the Quake train with Champions I never knew the history for this series was so long I missed out ;_;

John Carmak/Romero I have failed you
>>
Doom's way better.
>>
File: tumblr_mz7fgvWSFq1s95hkno1_1280.gif (674KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mz7fgvWSFq1s95hkno1_1280.gif
674KB, 800x400px
Episode 2 of Quake is the best set of singleplayer FPS levels ever made and the Ogre is the best FPS enemy ever made
>>
>>377002248
Quake has superior aesthetic and level design.
>>
>>377002248
doom 2 has better weapon balance and enemy design

quake 1 has better movement and levels

a tough call
>>
Honestly the majesty of the original Quake all comes from Trent Reznor's sound design. Literal god tier.
>>
>>377002248
I'm bored and eating yogurt. Explain why so we can have a debate.
>>
>>377002373
>doom 2 has better weapon balance
LOL
>>
>>377002249
wait all this time I thought at least one or both of the ogre's weapons was permanently attached to its limb and they FUCKING AREN'T
>>
i love quake 1 because it shits all over the notion that atmospheric games have to be slow and boring
>>
File: Thunderbolt.jpg (4KB, 185x132px) Image search: [Google]
Thunderbolt.jpg
4KB, 185x132px
>>377002785
I never played doom 2 but the lightning gun was broken as fuck in quake 1. It dealt something like 300DPS.
>>
>>377003065
It also only shows up late in episodes if at all, and is the only weapon that uses cells which are rare as fuck. It's broken in multiplayer, yeah, because Q1 MP is unbalanced as fuck, but in singleplayer it's a last-ditch weapon you save for when you absolutely want something fucking dead and probably gibbed, too.

Nowhere near as broken as Doom 2's legendary super shotgun.
>>
>>377001840
How do I get the soundtrack audio files to play? I remember when I was a kid I could play audio by inserting any audio cd, and it would play the tracks in order by level. Does this still work?
>>
>>377003229
And to kill shit like Shamblers you don't even really need it. Just keep baiting it's melee attack and you can even kill it with just a double shotgun.
>>
>>377003368
yes, although most sourceports allow you to load external files as music instead which is much easier than actually using/mounting a quake 1 cd/iso
>>
>>377002249
Episode 2 is the John Romero episode, so naturally.
>>
>>377003229
"SSG is broken" is a meme, RL, PG and BFG outclass it pretty badly.
>>
>>377003368
Source ports these days like Quakespasm can run the soundtrack through MP3 or OGG files. There's guides on Steam with downloads to the correctly labeled OSTs.
>>
>>377001840
why don't more people play arena shooters
>>
>>377003554
You aren't handed ammo for the plasmagun or BFG on a platter every time you so much as sneeze, though.
>>
>>377003537
tim willits' maps for quake 1 were really good too

which is why its so baffling that all of his maps after this game are the most boring shit ever
>>
File: 2017-03-03 17.33.09.png (468KB, 850x851px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-03 17.33.09.png
468KB, 850x851px
>tfw quake was among the first games i pirated
>wasn't even aware of that the soundtrack was missing
>game is still atmospheric as fuck with the general ambience
>tfw when you hear just the sound of wind and scrags somewhere in the background
>>
>>377001840
pretty good, i actually feel the way you do about quake 2 though. remember how you could have completely custom models in quake 2 multiplayer, bunch of eva units and battle angel alita's running around. and if you played with someone with one of those custom models you'd get to keep it too.
>>
>>377003680
>you get more ammo for the weaker weapon
Wow! Incredible!

SSG is cool because it's a risk-reward weapon that encourages you to get up close and personal with the baddies (unless they have HUGE hitboxes like the bosses do), it also gives you a better way of killing the mid-range monsters without wasting rockets and cells.
>>
File: 1459696459090.png (10KB, 369x300px) Image search: [Google]
1459696459090.png
10KB, 369x300px
>>377002249
>mfw someone plays on Nightmare and then asks why ogres are so easy
>>
>>377004117
Explain?
>>
>>377004174
On Nightmare, Ogres shoot grenades continuously and never walk around to throw off the player or get close enough for a chainsaw swipe.
>>
Why did the direction of Quake's story change so much? I just don't care about the strogg nonsense
>>
>>377004293
half of the team wanted to do a dark fantasy rpg. While the other half wanted to do a sci shooter. Romero was among one of the people who wanted the dark fantasy aesthetic, so when Quake was finished and he left the company, the majority were on board for making the next game a sci fi shooter.
>>
>>377004293
quake 1: "we really like D&D" "we really like Doom" "we really like Lovecraft" "now kiss"
quake 2: "we really fucking like the Borg"
quake 3: "my dad could beat up your dad"
quake 4: "my legs are not OK"
>>
>>377001840
I struggle to go back to Quake as it has really weird mouselook (funny I never had any issues at the time)
Quake II is the shit though
>>
>>377004657
>it has really weird mouselook (funny I never had any issues at the time)
What sourceport are you using?
>>
>>377004291
Oh, I see. Yeah, I played on NM last time I did. To be fair, grenade shower can be pretty damaging too.
>>
>>377003785
I only played it with the music recently. The actual soundtrack is amazing.
>>
>quake 4: "my legs are not OK"
speaking of which. Anyone know where I can download the Quake maps made by that one E.Y.E dev?
>>
>>377003554
The PG is the only one that has similar versatility as the SSG, and even then its ammo is very sporadic so it's rarely used.

I shouldn't even have to explain why the BFG isn't versatile.

The RL is a very situational weapon given its lengthy fire delay, slow projectile, enormous splash damage and self-damage, Doom's slow weapon switch times, and Doom maps' tendency to use plenty of surprise monster closet / teleport trap encounters. All of these make the gun 90% of the time too risky to bother using.

>>377003928
>SSG is cool because it's a risk-reward weapon that encourages you to get up close and personal with the baddies

Then the double shotgun in Quake is even cooler in that regard because its high rate of fire actually encourages the player to maintain close proximity with enemies as opposed to just doing hit-and-run / hide-and-pop tactics like you would with the SSG.
>>
>>377005153
>The RL is a very situational weapon given its lengthy fire delay
RL has a very fast fire rate, much faster than that of an SSG, while doing similar damage at any distance. Doomguy runs faster than any monster in the game, too, so keeping distance isn't a problem unless the arena is very small.
>Then the double shotgun in Quake is even cooler
Quake SSG misses what makes Doom SSG feel so good - powerful, staggering shot and then a lengthy delay. Makes it feel great.
>>
Quake 1 blew me away with its atmosphere and aesthetic. Maybe it was because I was a kid when I first played it but not many other games have come close to its feeling. From the little things like the menu sound effects, to the low res particle effects and blocky models, there's something truly magical about this game. Truly a game to play hunched over your computer with the curtains shut, just getting immersed in the strange and magical world of Quake. To anyone who wants to play it for the first time, DON'T use a sourceport. It will kill the atmosphere and experience.
>>
>>377001840
I got Quake on GoG last night on a whim, but I haven't played it yet, what's the best way to play quake on a modern PC, should I just use the GoG executable?
>>
>>377005438
Yeah use the GoG executable
>>
>>377005351
Fire delay = tics before weapon actually fires after pressing fire

>Doomguy runs faster than any monster in the game, too, so keeping distance isn't a problem unless the arena is very small.
Close quarters combat is like 70%-90% of Doom II maps, official or otherwise. Also, mappers use ways to avoid making every encounter something you can simply retreat from either by spawning enemies in previously cleared areas, slowing movement with elevators and slowly opening doors, or just plain blocking retreat.

>Quake SSG misses what makes Doom SSG feel so good - powerful, staggering shot and then a lengthy delay. Makes it feel great.
Okay. Irrelevant to gameplay balance.
>>
>>377005406
>To anyone who wants to play it for the first time, DON'T use a sourceport. It will kill the atmosphere and experience.
You realize non-shitty sourceports exist, right? Quakespasm is just GLQuake but with the various bugs fixed so it looks like software mode.
>>
>>377005438
Download a vanilla-based SP sourceport like fitzquake or quakespasm
then download the soundtrack, too, because none of the ways to buy Quake now actually include it.
>>
>>377006212
>Fire delay = tics before weapon actually fires after pressing fire
Okay.
>Close quarters combat is like 70%-90% of Doom II maps, official or otherwise.
Not close to a point where you can't use RL.
>mappers use ways to avoid making every encounter something you can simply retreat from
They usually don't make the available spaces tiny in that case, because being able to move is an important part of gameplay. Even something like Going Down has plenty of space to use RL.
>Irrelevant to gameplay balance.
Yeah, it's more of a ~feels~ thing, for many people Doom guns do feel better than Quake guns, though.
>>
>>377006273
Quakespasm is easy to use, but I remember having to disable texture filtering and animation tweening in the config first (npc animations were smoothed out in the port)

Just in case anyone was unaware..
>>
>>377006691
Smoothed animations are fine.
>>
File: ss (2017-05-15 at 08.55.52).jpg (27KB, 400x415px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-05-15 at 08.55.52).jpg
27KB, 400x415px
<-3
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.