[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was SoTN the first to introduce proper backstep mechanic? Or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (122KB, 320x207px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
122KB, 320x207px
Was SoTN the first to introduce proper backstep mechanic? Or were there any other games before it?

I mean, yes, to you, [pedantic piece of shit - Rond of Blood has backflip/backjump but it was way slower than backstep in SoTN by quite a handful of frames. Honestly it was mostly a gimmick and no one really used it (not even in speedruns).

Sucks that later this backstep would evolve into evade and rolls into LE SOUL-LIKE/ROGUE-LITE 2d meme games to be abused that much.
>>
>>377001502
>Release March 20, 1997

There could be something older, even with that rigid definition of a back dash.
>>
>>377001891
Yeah but I cant even recall anything, even remotely resembling backdash.

I mean, there were games which let you roll but not as a means of evasion but just part of traversal mechanic (i.e SM) so it is not the same
>>
>>377001502
I think the SoTN backdash was the first instance of it in a game, yeah.
>>
You mean of all game genres? I'm pretty sure fighting games had backdash way before SoTN.
>>
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, which came out before Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, features backflipping.
>>
>>377001502
>Honestly it was mostly a gimmick and no one really used it (not even in speedruns).

You sure? I recall it being used quite a few times in the world record run of the game. I do agree there should've been more areas where it was mandatory (like reaching the alternate path in the intro stage) or the best option available like in that room where you enter from the bottom via stairs and you're greeted with an axe armor like 5 feet away from you with little room. I think the latter was in stage 4.
>>
>>377002119
A quick lazy search ("backdash" site:gamefaqs.com/genesis and snes) says art of fighting 2, variable geo and a yuu yuu hakusho game have backdashes.
>>
>>377002284
Which run are you talking about?
I saw at least 2 but none of them used it as a means of evade, only traversal.
>>
>>377002119
>>377002683
Mostly genres similar to SoTN. Not necessarily Metroidvania, something like Ninja Gaiden or Batman games from Sunsoft.

it is pretty obvious fighting games were more advanced in character movement
>>
>>377003147
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCM-JDf8S2I

OP said not even speedruns used it but in the first stage alone it's used to move faster during long stretches as well as evade some enemies.

Also it looks like i was wrong about the backflip being necessary for the alternate path and i feel dumb about that.
>>
>>377003358
Yeah it is mostly used as a traversal, as I said.

Either way it still different from backdash and later roll.
>>
File: 1457451635519.jpg (255KB, 900x948px) Image search: [Google]
1457451635519.jpg
255KB, 900x948px
Surely that michael jackson game had some kind of moonwalk
>>
>>377003436
Well yeah, I'm not arguing either of those.
>>
>>377001502
SNES cybernator has a backdash of sorts.

You have the ability to lock your aiming angle by holding R which also locks your facing at the same time. So if you face right, hold R, move left and hit dash you dash backwards.
>>
Well forward dashes had been around for a while, at least as early as MMX1, so maybe there was an earlier backdash than SotN. Dunno what it'd be though.
>>
>>377003458
It did, but I don't know if it was meant as an evasive move.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.