[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of the Soulslike genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

File: thesurge.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thesurge.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
Post one.
>>
>>376982930
Nioh , the Surge , Bloodborne ..etc
>>
How does this game resemble a Souls title in the slightest?

Also, what is "Soulslike"? A game that's similar to a MH/PSO derivative?
>>
>>376982870
I think it isn't a genre.
>>
>>376982998
Soulslikes are action-rpgs with methodical and challenging combat.

The Surge combat is based on Dark Souls
>>
>>376983104
>Soulslikes are action-rpgs with methodical and challenging combat.

Sounds like Monster Hunter to me. Especially down to the stamina management, deliberate attacks, and high personal damage. So what you're describing is a new generation of MH clones?
>>
Reminds me of when /v/ fought the MOBA term.
You'll all be saying soulslike in two years.
>>
File: 1488731070421.png (82KB, 217x250px) Image search: [Google]
1488731070421.png
82KB, 217x250px
>>376983201

This is correct, "Souls" combat is just MonHun combat on a smaller scale
>>
>>376982870
man fuck that game
>>
>>376982870
>Soulslike genre
it's not a genre
>>
>>376983458
Pretty much this, only that Souls is, y'know, more popular and mainstream.
>>
>>376982870
>Soulslike

Overused, retarded term. Having stamina in your game doesn't make it "soulslike".
Also, The Surge is fucking, uninspired shit. Didn't you people learn from Lords of the Fallen?
>>
>>376985529
The hope is that they learned from last time.
>>
I like the idea. Not necessarily the death mechanics, those aren't the appeal point to me, but exploring a foreign world and trying to figure ways to progress.
But this is also assuming that they play well, which Surge and many other games don't.
>>
>>376985529
>overused
don't really see it used ever
LotF and Nioh, but other than that
>>
>>376985529
What the fuck do you mean "you people"?
>>
>>376985529
>Having stamina in your game doesn't make it "soulslike".
I thought soulslike had more to do with the third person slow deliberate combat, the resource management, a currency dropped on death, etc
>>
>>376985529
Nobody could learn from Lords of the Fallen because it had Denuvo, so nobody played it when it came out, and then nobody gave a shit when it got cracked a year later.
>>
>>376982870
Western made- typically mediocre or shitty and very much missing the point mechanics-wise
Eastern made- weeb as fuck but really satisfying and on-point mechanics-wise
>>
I Soulslike it.
>>
>>376982998
stamina management with focus on dealing enemies one by one
that's all it takes for a game to be a souls like in "current year"
>>
>>376985529
>fucking, uninspired
great grammar, son.

Also, it's the most "inspired" setting I've seen for these types of games because it's not set in a dark fantasy or dark weeb fantasy world (I like both, but I also like sci-fi.) Combine with dismemberment combat and shit and it's probably gonna be somewhat neat.
>>
I love the color palette the game uses of every prime color put together. also its sci-fi but there are no ranged weapons. neat
>>
There's a general on /vg/ for it now if anyone is interested
>>
>>376987545
Not really, no.
>>
>>376982870
They all seem to miss that dark souls has good art direction more often than not. They just copy the combat (most of the time badly) but dont add the same uniqueness and variation in enemies, secrets or different enviroments and enviroment hazards that souls usually does.
Which is what makes all the souls like game feel like such half bakes "souls" games. The best the competition currently managed was nioh and this is still really shit in terms of enemies and enviroments compared even to the first demons souls.
I would like a soulslike genre but its apperantly really hard to pull of if you are not called fromsoft.
>>
>>376984253
Yeah, I actually am kind of dissapointed in nintendo for not sharing thw MonHun series, I mean, imagine the money they will get if it ever goes tovother platforms. But that may never happen cause then they will have to pimp up the graphics of the games.
>>
>>376983350
No, soulslike games are monhun like games since the combat in all the souls games is a dumbed down version of those.
>>
It's actually more "Let It Die" get it right
>>
>>376987443
It already released though, though I wait for the crack to see if I buy it or not.
>>
>>376982930
>lords of the fallen
>the surge
>nioh
>bloodborne
>this one japanese anime game
>this one artsy indie game
>those other indie games

There is a lot of games copying its style now.
>>
>>376987735
Yeah, I actually am kind of dissapointed in Sony for not sharing thw Yakuza series, I mean, imagine the money they will get if it ever goes tovother platforms. But that may never happen cause then they will have to pimp up the graphics of the games.
>>
>>376987735
It will probably take guerilla making horizon 2 or a dlc in which you can hunt machines in multiplayer in currently one of the best looking open worlds and with it taking away monster hunter fans from nintendo to get nintendos lazy ass moving and making a conolse monster hunter game.
I hate monster hunter fans for the fact that they continue buying the games and letting nintendo get away with it instead of boycotting the franchise until the shit out a console version.
Pathetic nintendo addicts spending money for handheld crap, rewarding lazieness but in reality wanting explicitly a console version -___-
>>
Just glorified hack and slash games, really. I played nioh and it was alright, got extremely boring and repetitive after a while.

Maybe there will be a great title that convinces me some time in the future, but for now I don't think the "genre" is for me.
>>
>>376987964
>>this one japanese anime game
>>this one artsy indie game
Wow anon thanks for being so specific.
>>
>>376982930
>>376987964
>>376988167
Here is that anime game I was talking about. I forgot its name so I had to google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URLdBq3_cHM

It is only a matter of time before one of the big dogs develop their own Soulslike games.
>>
>>376988167
I assume he means Absolver for the artsy indie game
>>
>>376987942
>already released
what

it comes out on the 16th
>>
it seems like this is gonna be one of those games where the developers are ignorant of what made the games that they're ripping off popular in the first place. soulsborne is popular because of the atmosphere, lore, interesting environments, combat, diverse and cool looking enemies, cool outfits and cool weapons. the surge looks bland, just copying combat is not magcally gonna make soulsborne fanboys flock to it.
>>
>>376988280
Nope there is another one. You use weapons and it looks more primitive.
>>
>>376982989
Post more than 2.
>>
>>376988484
magically*
>>
>>376988117
Yeah I would have thought Hack and Slash would cover Dark Souls

I mean the name DOES suggest a reckless wild abandon that DS hardly encourages, but the idea is still the same
>>
>>376988313
streamers already streamed all of it.
It's just LotF again.
>>
>>376982870
I want it to fucking die, I'm tired of it. The original is dead and everything else should follow.
>>
>>376988280
Here is the game I was talking about. It is called Necropolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUSp7PNatdQ

For fucks sake they are already raping the hell out of this gameplay style with all these shit games. Whatculture has a top 10 list but I don't want to link that site since many here hate it.
>>
It's the most overrated fucking genre in all of video games, with GLARING issues in its fundamental design completely overlooked by its fanbase; who are the the most vile, detestable, utterly insufferable cunta in the entire universe.

And the games aren't even that good in the first place.
>>
>>376986501
>PC is the only platform on the planet
*sigh*
>>
>>376988941
>overlooked by its fanbase; who are the the most vile, detestable, utterly insufferable cunta in the entire universe.
if you think the souls community is bad you basically have not involved yourself with any other community in gaming at all.
>>
>>376988941
ok can you name those glaring issues?
>>
>>376982870
The only decent Souls clone is Code Vein which is not even 30% complete.
>>
>>376983350
Yeah it's a shame ASSFAGGOTS never stuck
>>
so fucking bored of this 'genre'

>ds2/ds3 were let downs
>bloodborne was decent, some bad design decisions
LotF/surge suck
all the 2d indie 'dark souls lites' are trash
nioh was an even easier DaS snoozefest with low weapon diversity

can we move the fuck on from this shit already. I liked DeS and DaS, but it's so overdone and overrated now. its mostly disappointing because DaS 2/3 could've been so much more than they are, but they largely stay the same and it becomes stale.
>>
In some other universe we'd be calling these "Severance-clones"

Play Severance you shits.
>>
They all fail to understand why Dark Souls was so good. That includes Dark Souls 2 and 3.
>>
>>376983350
As long as /v/ doesn't ever accept the term "character action" as valid I'm fine with that.
>>
To the hipster claiming souls like games are actually MH like games, because MH did that kind of combat first, is that the only connection you feel they have?

MH does not have the large world's that souls games have which I feel like is a core thing, along with the way respawning works.

If a game like the surge tries to make the game similar in combat and exploration to souls, isn't it more like souls, not like MH?

I don't particularly like the genre but sounds like a lot of MH weebs are assblasted their mediocre game is so overlooked.
>>
>>376989775
Because people didn't play Demon's Souls?
>>
>>376989895
>assblasted their mediocre game is so overlooked.
MH is huge, though not that popular in the west.
>>
>>376990075
Where do you think you are, who the fuck cares about something that doesn't do well in the west? It's not even relevant.
>>
>>376989672
Oh look butthurt Severance baby is back again.

Fuck your shitty obscure game that nobody played. Souls is nothing like that game.
>>
>>376989775
>They all fail to understand why Dark Souls was so good.

Why was it so good?
>>
>>376990376
Because it's reminiscent to the bygone era of game design where you were given a toolbox to work with and not handholded through the game with bright map pointers, tutorial prompts or painfully straightforward level design.

Of course games like this are still found here and there, but Souls was the first high profile title like that in quite a while.
>>
>>376990859
So why does Dark Souls 2 and 3 fail to understand this?
>>
>>376990947
How do 2 and 3 handhold you more than 1?

After having played them all I don't think 1 had the hardest areas or bosses at all. 2 gave me the most trouble. 3 I had been playing a lot of 2 up to release so i wasn't really Rusty and smashed the first half but the bosses in 3 were much more memorable
>>
>>376990376
Because it just focused on being a good game.

Dark Souls 2 and 3 focused on being le epic hardcore game prepare to die xD
>>
>>376982870
Can you stop shilling this fucking game for one second? It looks bad, I'm sorry. Now deal with it and look forward good games.
>>
>>376991991
What good games?
>>
File: Ed4LdEW.jpg (5KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
Ed4LdEW.jpg
5KB, 243x207px
>>376990075
>huge
>not that popular in the west
>>
>>376987443
Have fun with a clunky and soulless piece of shit game then.
>>
>>376982870
>Soulslike
What kind of retard uses this term?
>>
>>376992714
nu wave journalism
>>
>>376982870
I think they took most of what they saw in Onimusha and added a shield and stamina system.
>>
>>376992112
MH sold like 40 million games worldwide.
>>
Wait what's MH
>>
>>376994368
Monster Hunter.
>>
>>376989895
Nobody really thinks that for real.
I'm just sick of the entire board being blasted by Dark Souls on an hourly basis, and MH seems like the most effective way to get them riled up.
You can't open a thread without spotting a Soulsfag, even if the game has absolutely nothing to do with DS.
At this point, Dark Souls really needs the "Is this a JoJo reference" treatment.
>>
>>376982870

soulslike game in a south east asian inspired fantasy land when?
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.