[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Destroying a genre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: EuropaUniversalisIV_byWar36.png (377KB, 534x600px) Image search: [Google]
EuropaUniversalisIV_byWar36.png
377KB, 534x600px
What went so wrong with grand strategy?

All paradox had to do was take the already-built-and-used victoria 2 clausewitz with pops.

Instead we got this, a game with less features and still is less satisfying than the previous iteration after 6(!) years of DLC. A colonial-era grand strategy game where trade nodes don't change for the entirety of the game.

Now we have shit like stellaris and hoi4.

What the fuck went so wrong?
>>
normies
casuals
nothing else
>>
File: Xcom.jpg (97KB, 488x429px) Image search: [Google]
Xcom.jpg
97KB, 488x429px
I like Stellaris.
>>
File: Liquoria.jpg (64KB, 800x591px) Image search: [Google]
Liquoria.jpg
64KB, 800x591px
>>
>>376956762
It's not a /gsg/ and is outperformed in various ways by older games like distant wars and endless space. Paradox attempting to emulate those games and pretend it's just like other /gsg/ games is what I mean when I ask what went so wrong with the genre.
>>
>>376956762
inb4 /vg/ shitposters soil their pants in pure rage because Stellaris was called grand strategy
>>
>>376956906
Can we get any respite from your shilling on /v/, johan?
>>
I miss being able to construct your own trade nodes, like you could in EU3.
>>
>>376955949

Paradox right after vic2. Ck2 old gods was their last decent game.

Also dozens and dozens of diversity hires.

Go figure, EU is now a game where European Nations are worthless
>>
>>376956878
>Outproformed.

Nah, its's different enough from 'civ in space' to cut out its own little niche over those titles.
>>
>>376955949
>a game with less features
Calling shenanigans on this. Granted, my memory of EUIII is foggy since it's been so long, but EUIV has long eclipsed it in terms of amount of content, even if you want to argue quality. Tell, the fort system alone is such a wonderful improvement it [almost] makes up for how broken cultural interactions and the mess that is the diplomatic monarch point system.
>>
>>376957127
No, it's not.

Fuck off johan.

Reminder stellaris needed dlc so far for the following features: population dispersal, empire automation, doomsday weapons, andgame threats
>>
>>376957229
>eu3 lets you change trade zones dynamically
>eu4 doesn't

wow, there's about half of the endgame and meta game gone

>spam trade ships and throw them at nederlands+venice
>win game
>>
>>376956762
I like it too.
That said, it's definitely a 4X game, not a grand strategy game, but it's a solid 4X game.
>>
Name 1 (ONE) thing wrong with Stellaris.
>>
For the casual audience
>>
File: stellaris is a good game.jpg (140KB, 935x314px) Image search: [Google]
stellaris is a good game.jpg
140KB, 935x314px
>>376957663
>>
>>376957352
So, like I said, quality of content, not quantity. Noted.

I agree though, I wish the trade routes could be re-routed, that would make playing the various regions significantly more interesting. But it's not like you have to throw ships at Venice and Netherlands to make a profit as is. Trade really only screws you completely if you're playing, say, a South American native that has no single place worthwhile to draw from.
>>
>>376957846
>being poor
Not an argument.
>>
File: total shill jew hammer.jpg (74KB, 640x449px) Image search: [Google]
total shill jew hammer.jpg
74KB, 640x449px
>>376957846
Sup
>>
>>376957851
>rade really only screws you completely if you're playing, say, a South American native that has no single place worthwhile to draw from.

which means you then have to take over somewhere in venice or nederlands because the trade system is literally broker and has less going on than eu3

like every other feature
>>
>>376956762
Stellaris is a terribly designed game.

There are a few cool things in it, but we're over a year in and the optimal strategy is still, and always has been, to build naked, unupgraded frigates. Thousands of naked, unupgraded frigates.

Science? Unimportant. More frigates.
Expansion? Just take your neighbor's attempt to expand with your frigates. They can't stop you. Unrest doesn't do anything.
Just build more Frigates.
>>
>>376957663
It lacks any sort of strategic depth.
>>
>>376957846
Literally only two of those you need to experience the full game so far. The rest are entirely optional.

Nice argument, man.
>>
>>376957979
More like South Africa, or the Caribbean, if I'm not mistaken. But yes, trade is long due for an overhaul, and I can only hope it happens sooner rather than later. The naval aspect of the game is other element of it that is kinda worthless 8 out of 10 times, especially after the changes to straits
>>
>>376958184
1 year and 2 critical content DLC.
>>
>>376958184
BUILD

MORE

CORVETTES
>>
>>376958210
>More like South Africa, or the Caribbean
doesn't matter because unless you achieve 99.9% (you can't) in a node, then your cash will still leak to the ultimate end nodes
>>
>>376958247
1 story pack and 1 major update sprinkled with optional content for those who want to support the devs

They have stated on stream that this is their marketing strategy for Stellaris and it will continue to be so until it no longer has support. And there is nothing wrong with that
>>
File: Untitled.png (308KB, 1278x733px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
308KB, 1278x733px
Who else /goodgoy/
I have all the music, unit, and shield packs as well but they recently made "collections" so they don't show up
>>
>>376958326
Vicky 2 had the same problem where billions of frigates could take down dreadnoughts tho
>>
>>376958495
Wasn't it cruisers?
>>
>>376958352
>unless you achieve 99.9% (you can't) in a node
Not with that attitude, you don't.
>>
>>376958548
I forget. Whatever was the cheapest, smallest combat ship you could get in 1836
>>
>>376958439
CK2 was the first game I actually pirated just because it is simply anti-consumer.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.