[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Citizen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1467749641249.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467749641249.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
Reminder that Star Citizen is being built on Amazon's Lumberyard free game engine (they bought CryEngine and improved it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADB-wpvTD0k

Why are you not making your own game anon? the engines are free, and the web is full of tutorials on how to make stuff.
>>
>>376927806
I don't know anon, i'm afraid if i do my game would never get out of alpha.
>>
>>376927806

What do they mean by "free"? Free as in no need to license the engine, and Amazon gets a cut of the game's profits when it goes on sale. Or free as in no monetary obligation to Amazon at all?
>>
File: 1482215078379.jpg (209KB, 1243x756px) Image search: [Google]
1482215078379.jpg
209KB, 1243x756px
>>376928525
>Free as in no need to license the engine
yes.
>Amazon gets a cut of the game's profits
no

read:
https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

you only pay for cloud services if you choose to use them
>>
>>376928637

That's nice of them, but I can see them starting to ask for a cut of the revenue eventually if Lumberyard becomes more widespread. Some people are probably tired of licensing Unreal or id Tech.
>>
>>376928637
That's weirdly generous.
>>
>>376928860
>but I can see them starting to ask for a cut of the revenue eventually
they can't. that's not how it would work.

>>376928870
they just make it easy to use with cloud services, so if you choose to use cloud, you might as well use amazon cloud and pay them for that.
>>
>>376928870

They still get money, providing you make it digitally available on their digital distribution service and/or have a multiplayer component to your game that would require their cloud services. It's just a more long-term revenue model instead of a flat licensing fee for the engine.
>>
File: 1481105576110.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
1481105576110.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>376929463
>>
how do i make a game
>>
>>376930067
there are video tutorials where someone literally makes an entire game in one of the free engines.

all you need to do, is follow it, and then later change all art assets with your own, and build on top of it.

try Udemy
>>
why is star citizen taking so long then?
>>
>>376927806
Hmmm I was actually working on something similar to what's shown in the video. I have always disliked that you have to "center" the camera on the object you wish to interact with, it feels completely unnatural.

But apparently they're doing it because the camera is tied to the actual head of the character so in some cases it's hard to "center" things, that's pretty cool.

I still don't understand people that want this game to fail, it may be one of the greatest things.
>>
>>376928360
Lol
>>
>>376931051
they have autism and make things way more detailed than is necessary
>muh procedural breathing

>>376931053
>Hmmm I was actually working on something similar to what's shown in the video. I have always disliked that you have to "center" the camera on the object you wish to interact with
check out Doom 3 interaction with computers and stuff
>>
>>376931051
If you watch the video you'll understand why. They're working in so much things at the same time, little things.
>>
>>376931051
When you can roll in literal hundreds of millions of dollaridoos without actually releasing shit, why would you ever actually bother finishing anything?
>>
>>376927806
>Lumberyard free game engine (they bought CryEngine and improved it)
>free game engine
>improved CryEngine
This sounds too good to be true. Which cryengine version?
>>
this game is never gonna be finished

Space combat games are deader than ever before
>>
>>376932228
the newest

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/details/
>>
>>376932467
Oh, my gracious. This is a thing I learned today.
>>
>>376932467
I don't get this, they bought a certain version of CryEngine and made it free, right? But are the newer versions of CryEngine still property of Crytek?
>>
>>376933308
>But are the newer versions of CryEngine still property of Crytek?
yes
but lumberyard is also being improved by amazon itself. it's a fork, meaning as time goes by, both cryengine and lumberyard will have improvements that the other doesn't have
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.