[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>game gets soft-rebooted into third person action What made

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 16

File: Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg (111KB, 256x353px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg
111KB, 256x353px
>game gets soft-rebooted into third person action
What made Kid Icarus Uprising work with this but not Other M? I'm actually curious here, so no crying about Samus' character change and/or the Zero Suit.
tr4sh babies stay out as well
>>
kid icarus wasn't that popular
>>
>>376886452
I believe there's enough material out there to understand everything wrong with Other M if you hadn't the misfortune of playing it

So either you're a lazy or you're blatantly feigning ignorance to start yet another metroid bait thread
>>
2D Metroid doesn't work well in 3D.
There's a reason why KIU is nothing like 2D Kid Icarus
>>
Standing still and drastically changing the camera type with fast moving enemies.
Suit powers being locked away by the whim of a character for ''''reasons''''.
Pixel hunts.
BamHam tier counter/dodge.
No exploration just follow the corridor.

This game is a shitstack.
>>
>>376886452
Uprising was a good game with lots of content and love put into it. Other M was a big budget fanfiction with irredeemably retarded controls and a console-bricking but.
>>
>>376886452
It made you use a d-pad to move on a 3d plane
>>
>>376886895
*bug, god damn it
>>
>>376886452
neither of those games are reboots.
>>
because metroid was definitive of its genre. id rather metroid pachinko over other M. even prime was average and gets over rated all the time.
>>
I liked other M outside the cutscenes, I liked the movement and the scifi space station
>>
>>376886452
>great optional difficulty system
>uprising actually requires you to aim
>your dodge isn't infinite and needs timing
>tons of variety in weapons or optional powers
>great ost
>original and varied environments
>fun and lighthearted story
>actually very respectful of the series absurd tone
>>
>>376886452
Because they turned it into some shit Metroid Gaiden with shit controls and decided to go with garbage cinematic story telling for some shitty anime drama. If they would have just left the game as a 2.5D game it wouldn't have been as bad.
>>
>>376886452
A lot of the dislike comes from expectations of the series at that point. It wasn't so much the game trying something new, but it didn't utilize the elements the majority of Metroid games before Other M included. Samus' character was one of the "smaller" problems the game had (ignoring authorization according to OP's criteria) and the Zero Suit in itself wasn't an issue in itself despite what status it has now. If the primary problem was simply just Samus' character, it wouldn't have been as heavily panned as it is now.

Some examples of the elements I mentioned earlier involve the lack of music and exploration. A lot of the music was either non-existent or simple environmental noises. This game reintroduced Nightmare, but didn't use any parts of its theme in this game. You could argue that they didn't need to, but the one they made doesn't have as much impact. By bringing him back too, it somewhat served as fanservice for the players of Fusion and the original theme would have complemented that like it did for Ridley. Exploration was also minimal since there wasn't much freedom to spread out until you unlocked one of your suit's abilities. It kept most exploration restricted until it was ready to be entered. This comes with the fact that you are fully capable of assessing the areas and not because you don't have the means to.

There are also questionable game mechanic choices such as how missiles were utilized. In other Metroid games, you were able to move while firing missiles allowing you to use your mobility to avoid damage while attacking. Other M requires you to stand still so you can fire missiles against required enemies and this can place you in an awkward position you don't want to be in. Because the game required missiles at several points, they also made it so that you had "infinite" missiles so finding expansions for it is trivial and doesn't do much but say how long you have to wait before you have to "concentrate" for a refill again.
>>
>>376887082
>even prime was average
And yet it was still better than any of the 2D games. Really makes you think.
>>
>>376888297
>And yet it was still better than any of the 2D games
Not him but you trolling hard, you could have just said Prime does everything better than Other M but you fucked up.
>>
>>376888297
super metroid did not make me pull the L button all the way down to scan shit.
super metroid did not make me pull the L button all the way down to lock on.
>>
File: 1383379241007.jpg (82KB, 668x629px)
1383379241007.jpg
82KB, 668x629px
Kid Icarus had good gameplay and the main character wasn't a boring robot.
>>
>>376886452
primefags got mad it ruined their headcanon and that they didn't get another halo reskin with shit gameplay.
>>
>>376888710
Almost everyone acknowledges Pit as Palutena's bitch, even Palutena herself
>>
>>376886452
Good characters and good gameplay, probably. Plus, nobody really gives a shit if things in Kid Icarus are different from the games that came out over twenty fucking years ago. There's extremely little established canon to fuck up.

>>376888916
Well, yeah, of course. Didn't she create him?
>>
>>376886452
I could be wrong, but Sakamoto was the reason other m was such a shitshow
>>
>>376886452
Kid Icarus was pretty much a dead franchise, no one had any hopes or expectations for it, and Uprising was a passion project from a competent team led by an experienced and talented director.

Metroid was very much alive when Other M came out, and up to that point, every game in the franchise had ranged from good to amazing. Everyone's expectations were high, everyone was hype to see what was next for 3D Metroid after the end of the Prime trilogy, and here comes a Metroid game that's barely a Metroid game, with shit controls, shit exploration, cutscenes up the ass and one of the most retarded, poorly thought out piece of fanfiction shit story ever conceived. At that point, everyone was considering Fusion as the low point and black sheep of the series, and Other M turned out to be a Fusion rehash with ALL of its flaws extrapolated to new extremes.

Speaking of cutscenes, it also helps that KIU had little to no cutscenes, opting rather for character dialog happening AT THE SAME TIME as gameplay. Sure, like Other M, it was a more narrative driven take on its series with real voice acting, but unlike M:OM, that narrative COMPLIMENTED the gameplay instead of hindering it.

Sakamoto really is the George Lucas of video games, a shitty Idea Guy that can only do good work when his autism is being strongly reined in by a competent team that knows how to stand up to him and tell him no. Sadly, no one at Team Ninja felt they had the authority to tell a Nintendo (and Metroid) veteran how to make a game.
>>
>>376889113
>Plus, nobody really gives a shit if things in Kid Icarus are different from the games that came out over twenty fucking years ago.
the original kid icarus was also a clusterfuck in terms of gameplay, it was a mix of sidescrolling platforming like mario, vertical platforming like metroid, dungeon crawling like zelda and flying shoot em up segments

it's not like there was a unique original structure to preserve here like with metroid
>>
>>376886846
Fuck you, Metroid Prime is a prime example that the Metroid formula can (and did) work in 3D
>>
>>376889421
holy shit he was the guy that made the original metroid and SuMe yet he pumped out shit like other m?
>>
>>376886452
The characters were shitty.
Story was poorly written.
The environments weren't interesting.
The exploration didn't feel rewarding.
The exposition-dumps really halted what tiny flow the game could muster.
The unlock system was dumb too.

But, possibly the most unforgivable aspect, the game had the WORST, most generic music.

Like, I can easily recall some music from Metroid Prime Hunters; however, I can't remember a single note of Other M's score.

>>376889425
>it's not like there was a unique original structure to preserve here like with metroid
Other M wasn't bad because it tried to do something new.
Other M was bad because they completely fucked up most of the stuff that was suppose to be new.
>>
call of metroid :other m
>>
>>376889510
All the Prime games suffered from too much backtracking and enemies respawning.
>>
>>376890338
This
>>
>>376888252
To add, in other Metroid games, the incentive for combat is to get health and ammo. In this game, there is literally no incentive.
>>
>>376888621
Wait, was pushing the L button an actual problem for you? Like for real?
>>
>>376890338
I never understood why people complained about respawning enemies in Metroid Prime, when every other Metroid game had respawning enemies too.

Especially considering that it's 3D, so you got a whole additional dimensions to walk around those bugs if you don't wanna fight them.
>>
>>376890338

Prime 2's backtracking might have been awkward, but 1's was very well implemented and 3 barely had any at all.
>>
>>376886895
>console-bricking but.
Elaborate
>>
>>376891314

He's making shit up.
There is a bug that softlocks your save file (ironically, it happens if you try to backtrack) but nothing bad happens to your console.
>>
Sakamoto's complete lack of understanding as to how to control objects on a three-dimensional plane.
>>
>>376891441
That's why choosing Team Ninja and D-Rockets was a mistake. His dumbass should have just made the game a 2.5D game like he originally wanted too. Sakamoto is stupid, such wasted potential.
>>
>>376891703
>Team Ninja are still getting blamed for Other M
I don't even like Hayashi, but how is this fair?
>>
>>376886452
Nobody knew who Kid Icaurs was (And it only had two games) so they were okay with Sakurai raping it. Metroid was a full fledged series.

The two also have nothing in common screw you
>>
>>376892668
I'm not blaming them I'm blaming Sakamoto for being retarded. How hard is it just to make a fucking 2.5D Metroid? Why does Nintendo always have to fucking reinvent themselves. Jesus, Sakamoto, we just wanted a 2.5D game literally no one asked for your shitty anime drama Metroid Gaiden game. Fuck Sakamoto is stupid.
>>
>>376893069
The problem is a Metroid Gaiden game could really work, space pirates, and would have a lot going for it, like if it had something like the catacombs, and the vigoorian city to explore, along with along with space pirates being as threatening as black spider clan ambushes were
>>
>>376892895
hey you act as if metroids aren in uprising or something
>>
>Trash weeb story shit that doesn't fit Metroid at all

>Gameplay was just mediocre, quite a downgrade from the tight and great controlling Prime games.

>Tried to utilise the Wii remote in a weird way and it didn't pay off.

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't great. Weeb trash needs to die.
>>
>>376893274
Komaytos
>mfw Viridi just destroys the 4th wall during that one conversation about them to Pit
>>
>>376886452
>What made Kid Icarus Uprising work

Okay buddy.
>>
>>376886452
>What made this game suck? And don't bring up anything that people disliked about it!

As I recall, Other M was generally liked at launch. I remember X-Play giving it a 2 outta 5 and the video was so dogpiled with dislikes they took the whole video down. It's more like a Skyward Sword kinda thing where most people didn't really start disliking it until in hindsight.
>>
>>376890997
I don't know about that. It was a pain if you ever needed to go to or from Phendrana Drifts because the only location it was connected to was the Magmoor Caverns. No shortcut to any other location.
>>
>>376894832
it works though, if you're not jim sterling
>>
>>376894989
That simply because at launch, the only reviews out there were by "true journalists" whose job is to rush through a game and slap a 9/10 on it.

Everyone who took their time to analyze Other M would surely come to the conclusion that it's shit.

Apart from the Metroid Database that is.
>>
>>376895085
Yeah, it's okay, but the 3DS limitations makes it more of a pain than it had to be. I never got used to it after a whole playthrough and then going back to 9 the first handful of levels before dropping it entirely.
>>
>>376886452
kid icarus tried to be funny,metroid other m tried to be deep
I think I would've liked a game with gritty but funny samus
>>
>>376891441
>sakamoto chooses team ninja because he liked how ninja gaiden played
>does everything in his power to prevent them from making something like ninja gaiden

why is he so fucking stupid
>>
>>376886452
Sakurai: is actually in touch with how modern games work
Sakamoto: lives in a bubble, completely detached from reality
>>
Other M is not even a bad game

I'm 100% certain that if it didn't carry the title "Metroid" people would accept it for being the decently fun game that it is
Expectations always taint the experience of new or different things
>>
>>376897717
Other M was the third Metroid game I played after Metroid Pinball and the Hunters demo
I honestly found it really tedious and the shifting to 3D aiming was really wonky
I remembered it really annoyed me because I liked the smooth aiming of Twilight Princess on the Wii
>>
>>376897717
>if it didn't carry the title "Metroid"
You'd still have a melodramatic clusterfuck of a story with arbitrary road blocks, dull environments, a disappointing soundtrack, and a 2D-3D swapping mechanic that lacks polish. You can call Samus some other name and she'd still be a weak as fuck, unlikable crybaby protagonist.
>>
>>376892668
hayashi let other m influence ninja gaiden 3 and now that series is dead too. he deserves shit just for that
>>
>>376886452
Other M had to live up to more basically.
>>
Sakurai wanted to make a game
Sakamoto wanted to write a story. A bad one.
>>
File: 1346342063484.jpg (213KB, 392x450px) Image search: [Google]
1346342063484.jpg
213KB, 392x450px
>>376898086
/thread

I don't even know why this has to be explained every time.
I do know why, it's because this place lives off of shitposting, and these dumb rumors about DOUBLE METROID ANNOUNCEMENT at E3 has everyone in a stir
>>
>>376890107
Ridley's theme was neat
That's about it tho
>>
>>376886846
>2D Metroid doesn't work well in 3D.
we'll never know because the one and only attempt came from a total retard
>>
>>376886452
Don't forget that the people responsible for Other M literally never played a single Metroid game in their life.

>Zebesians are feral if they don't have Mother Brain's telepathy, but then how did they manage to stay right-minded long enough to attack Sammy in Zero Mission? How did these feral creatures have the brain function needed to clone Mother Brain, Ridley and Kraid in Super?

>Game says that Other M is the first time Sammy worked for the Federation since becoming a bounty hunter, which is completely wrong according to Prime 2 and 3. It's not specified in Prime 1 that she was working for them, but I don't care. She probably was.

>Adam says the Sector Zero Metroids were mutated to be resistant to the cold but Metroid 2 shows us that Metroids have that natural ability as part of their life cycle. Also if they mutated the Metroids to be cold resistant then why in Fusion does Sammy gain cold vulnerability from the Metroid DNA strand?

At the very least, I can pretend that Other M is non-canon for how little it cares about continuity. Also the game just sucks in general.
>>
>>376895064

It's a fairly short route from Phendrana's main entrance through Magmoor back to Tallon Overworld. It feels like they added that route purely to make getting the Space Jump more convenient. But you can completely elide that backtracking segment anyway, since Space Jump First is one of the easiest sequence breaks.
Besides that, the only time you have to leave Phendrana and return is the Ice Beam after getting the Spider Ball. But then again, you're visiting a new segment of Magmoor Caverns this time which cuts down the travel time to Phendrana Depths massively. And if you're any good at sequence breaking, you can get the Ice Beam straight after getting Boost+Wave (coinciding with the normal time for getting the Space Jump) which also makes the backtracking a lot shorter...

Basically the world is so interconnected that any significant backtracking also has a new route to go with it. Having to go through Magmoor a lot is no different to Super making you go through Red Tower a lot (until you git gud ofc.).
>>
>>376901030

>Basically the world is so interconnected that any significant backtracking also has a new route to go with it. Having to go through Magmoor a lot is no worse than Super making you go through Red Tower a lot. In fact, it's a lot better.
Fixed. This is one of the few areas where I think Prime's map design improves on Super's.
>>
>>376886685
Sold over a million
>>
>>376895167
Did you support the system using your pinky? That made all the difference in the world
>>
>>376900349
To be fair it was the first time she worked as a team with a federation scout. IN Prime 3 she was basically hired to gun down some pirates and fix the other Auora Units but ended up being roped into helping protect Norion and spending time in an infirmary from the pirate attack. That's really no different from how she "worked" with the federation in ZM 2 and Super.
>>
>>376890107
Ridley's music is the best Ridley theme though. And no matter what happened during the fight or whatever, MOM Ridley is the scariest Ridley.

Also Phantoon was pretty cool.
>>
>>376901660
Is that why Samus shit herself that one time? Because he was the scariest?

>Defending Phantoon

Even the Metroid Database can't defend him.
>>
>>376890864
Time to kill in every other Metroid is far lower. In the Prime games you usually have to perform a ballet to kill them (Even in 3), and there's usually multiple enemies to a room that take way more than a charge shot or a missile to kill. It was the worst in 1 because you had things like Space Pirates in every room come mid to endgame that take freezing them or using the Plasma Beam to kill in one hit, and to freeze them meant aiming ahead of them with a charged ice beam shot.
>>
File: WhyOtherMSucks.png (902KB, 912x1434px)
WhyOtherMSucks.png
902KB, 912x1434px
>>376886452
Simple.

Kid Icarus Uprising had good writing.

Other M's writing was atrocious. Not to mention all the other issues like Samus' character getting butchered (Other M was not a soft reboot)
>>
>>376886846
We can't really say that it wouldn't. I'm sure there's a way to implement everything from Super Metroid into a 3D environment, but it hasn't been done yet. Honestly I believe the best course of action is to develop a 2.5D Metroid but release it at a budget price. Do something akin to Shadow Complex maybe.
>>
>>376889421
>Sadly, no one at Team Ninja felt they had the authority to tell a Nintendo (and Metroid) veteran how to make a game.

they tried, Sakamoto ignored them
>>
>>376889806
You have to remember that Gunpei Yokoi was also involved with Metroid. I'd like to think he was Sakamoto's leash and yanked on it whenever something stupid was being brought up. Then after Gunpei dies Metroid gets shifted to America where Sakamoto can't touch it. With Fusion and Other M again since there's no Gunpei that gives Sakamoto free reign to do whatever he wants.
>>
>>376903615
but Fusion was actually good
>>
>>376904265
Yet it's also widely considered by Metroid fans where the series started its downward spiral, that and some will debate the forced Zero Suit section of Zero Mission.
>>
>>376904536

Metroid might have hit its peak at Super but it was excellent through to 2004 and at least good up to 2007.
>>
>>376886452
I didn't like Kid Icarus 3 as much as 1 and 2 but it helped that it's a good game directed by someone who isn't a COMPLETE hack.
>>
Reminder that prime > super
>>
>>376904953
You make sound as if I'm knocking Fusion, and I apologize if that's what I'm implying. In no way is Fusion a bad game, BUT it is the first Metroid game Sakamoto did without Yokoi's involvement and it also raised a red flag amongst fans of the series.
>>
>>376905248

Faggots. it's close though.

>>376905271

Yeah, you're right.

People have warmed to Fusion over the years, I feel.
>>
>>376905271
>Yokoi
That's the first time I've ever heard him mentioned in the threads, do you mind Zebespilling me on him?
>>
>>376905248
just a reminder, this a made after Other M came out and the person decided that Pinball would be a better option than Other M
>>
>>376905556

Pinball was fun though.
>>
>>376889510
That's a 3d Metroid game, not 2.5D.
>>
>>376905528
Keep in mind this is my own crazy conspiracy theory, but I'll stick by it until proven otherwise. Gunpei Yokoi was the producer of Metroid on NES and the general manager of Super while Sakamoto directed it. As I said before >>376903615, after Gunpei died there wasn't another Metroid title until Prime in the early 2000s followed shortly by Fusion, the first Metroid game with Sakamoto as the head with no Gunpei watching over everything. Prime is lauded and while Fusion is also praised, it was hit with many criticisms as well from long time fans. Then Other M came out and everybody knows how that went down.

Again this is my own crazy theory, but I firmly believe it was Yokoi's supervising that gave Metroid its promising start.
>>
>>376905248
No way fag
>>
>>376905556
Pinball is objectively a better game than Other M
>>
>>376902286

Phantoon was the only interesting thing about MOM. At least they did something new with him and turned him into a potentially massive threat. Compare how MOM treated every other big enemy character

>Ridley: has a stupid lifecycle, doesn't even die properly in battle and gets the succ from Queenie while he's cringing in a corner
>Queen Metroid: just as in Metroid 2, her sole importance to the story is being the source of all Metroids, although she has more room to move in now
>Mother Brain 2.0: teased as a fight that never happens, is just misunderstood
>>
>>376907392

You're kidding right? He just appears at the end. He doesn't do anything apart from fight you.
>>
>>376907392
I didn't mind Nightmare either
>>
>>376905248
I agree but both are masterpieces and also I just personally prefer Prime 2 over both of them but that's just me.
>>
>>376908657

wtf is this?
>>
File: Nightmare_mf_Sprite_1.png (11KB, 127x143px) Image search: [Google]
Nightmare_mf_Sprite_1.png
11KB, 127x143px
>>376908423
nightmare sucked in other m

he was cool in fusion because he almost looked like a wario land boss, that didn't translate to 3d at all
>>
>>376907742

He does more with his ten minutes of screen presence than any of the other characters/bosses do. He actually has new tricks with his ghost hands and how he warps enemies in to fight you. The way he shows up out of nowhere even works when you consider how Phantoon feeds on electrical power. He grew strong on the massive ship, and he only confronts Samus once she's on the way to blow it up.

Seriously, Phantoon is the ONE character in MOM who came off better for it. And it happens even though he was thrown in as an afterthought.
>>
>>376907392
Phantoon and what he represents is a big reason why I hate Other M though.

We got all the old beams!
We got Shinespark!
We got those donut things at the end!
We got the same structure and a similar plot to Fusion!
We got the REAL Space Jump and Screw Attack!

It's Ridley, Queen Metroid, Phantoon, and Nightmare, major bosses from each of the 2D Metroids! See? This is the REAL 3D Metroid game!

It wears the skins of the old games to try and convince us that it's totally Metroid because look at all these things that were in old Metroids. It doesn't even have to make sense. They just throw this stuff together and act like this is the first time Metroid has gone 3D. Fuck Phantoon.
>>
>>376891441
>Developers originally wanted it to be a Wiimote+Nunchuck title
>He insists on stand-alone Wiimote held horizontal controls
>>
>>376891441
>>376891703
>>376897531
>>376910098
>Sakamoto wanted it to be a light-gun shooter so he could focus even more on the story
>Team Ninja had to convince him otherwise

Also
>team makes Gravity Suit
>"lol why is Samus purple, fix it"

YOU WORKED ON SUPER METROID HOW YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S A GRAVITY SUIT
>>
>>376910442
I don't think people would take the story as seriously if she were running around in a purple suit.
>>
>>376910538

Fusion's story was a lot better and she was running around in that ugly yellow/pink suit for most of the game.
>>
>>376910442
>>Sakamoto wanted it to be a light-gun shooter so he could focus even more on the story
>>Team Ninja had to convince him otherwise
he wanted it to be 2.5d like klonoa or donkey kong country returns

what the fuck is it with metroid fans and revisionist history? its not like its hard to go look up the interview to see what he said
>>
>>376909635
maybe he wanted all that stuff because it was his first 3d game and not because of some perceived slight against retro studios
>>
>>376910651
>Team Ninja stepped in to work on the project and was selected because the team played off the Nintendo-based team extremely well, bouncing ideas back and forth throughout the development. Sakamoto used a specific instance as an example: he insisted that the game would be an on-rails side-scrolling adventure that used the Wii remote exclusively like an NES/Famicom controller. But Team Ninja really wanted to make it a nunchuk-analog controlling game for 3D foreground/background exploration. Sakamoto stood firm on the Wii remote exclusivity. When the Team Ninja came up with an idea that could incorporate Sakamoto's Wii remote focus into a non-on-rails design, he was skeptical -- but when he finally saw what they came up with, he thought the solution was perfect. They called it "Famicom Game Plus."

Fair enough, I admit my mistake, I only remembered the words "on-rail" and it made me think of Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles.
>>
>>376910906
No it was definitely because Other M is the first real 3D Metroid game. Those Gaijin cowboys didn't make the first 3D Metroid game. Those games don't actually exist.
>>
>>376886452
>don't talk about the character changes
That's one of the reasons, but you only made this thread as bait so whatever
>>
Metroid 5 wen? I wanna see Samus fight against the entire Galactic Feds.
>>
>>376911349

the galactic federation should never have been wayland yutani
>>
>>376911063
Fuck off, weeaboo. Prime is a far better Metroid game than any realeased the past seven years, barring AM2R.
>>
>>376911794
I don't think we're on the same page because Prime 1 is my 2nd favorite Metroid game, but okay.
>>
>>376911794

You misunderstand.
>>
File: makes ya think.jpg (80KB, 540x290px)
makes ya think.jpg
80KB, 540x290px
>>376911383
>American Metroid games have the Galactic Federation as the undeniable good guys who tend to get overwhelmed and defeated but still fight as hard as possible and help Samus whenever they can

>Japanese Metroid games turn the Galactic Federation into a second-rate Weyland-Yutani clone who become as stupid as the Space Pirates with trying to turn monsters into weapons and disrespect Samus at every turn
>>
>>376912169
This. American Metroid games the best.
>>
>>376911383
they never should have got the spotlight ever

mainline federation = weyland yutani ripoff, prime federation = star wars ripoffs

both are boring as fuck
>>
>>376912539

The Federation as depicted in Prime 2 is all right. They do a good job of setting up the menace of Aether.
Prime 3 they were just boring but they were more of a backdrop.
>>
>>376912712
i couldn't take them seriously in prime 2 at all with their fucking buzz lightyear music
>>
>>376913206
>buzz lightyear music

What?
>>
>>376913206
That was a cover of Samus' theme from Super
>>
>>376913297

I think he means the music when you fight the zombies.
>>
>>376912459
America as in the US or America as in all of North America?

Because Next Level Games is Canadian
>>
>>376913458
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_sqT9RyGfE&list=PL3131658AD4C63BA7&index=10

This is "Buzz Lightyear music"?
>>
The difference is that KI:U wasn't a shit game
>>
>>376914037
Arguably
>>
>>376903615
sakamoto's wife had more creative influence on super metroid than yokoi did
>>
>>376905248
Wrong
>>
>>376886452
Kid icarus didnt have the supreme cancer that is the prime fags
>>
Choke me, Daddy!
>>
>>376916109

It didn't have any fans at all.
>>
>>376910442
He wanted a 2.5D game.

IGN: "he insisted that the game would be an on-rails side-scrolling adventure that used the Wii remote exclusively like an NES/Famicom controller."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1076861p1.html
>>
as shitty as other m was as a 3d game, it must have been REALLY shitty as a 2d game if team ninja successfully convinced sakamoto to change things
>>
>>376911794
>Prime is a far better Metroid game than any realeased the past seven years
You're stretching it.
>>
File: 9654218545555.png (124KB, 245x238px)
9654218545555.png
124KB, 245x238px
>>376916503
To be fair, the only games released in the past 7 years were Other M and Federation Force. Now I'm sad.
>>
>>376912169
Japanese has a more realistic depiction of a military and government, it's not always black and white, there's always corruption in military, even Halo has this. So when it comes down to it, barring Other M, Japanese Metroid games are the best because they get it right instead trying to make a DC/Marvel comic.
>>
>>376916603
Then you're 100% right.
>>
>>376916919

Halo only did this when its original plot was completely played out, H1-3 the UNSC are basically flat out good guys
>>
>>376908423
I did.
>WAAAAH IM A BABY DO YOU GET THE SYMBOLISM YET???
Fuck that.
>>
>>376916109
>trying to imply Prime fans loved Other M

Why is /v/ so full of retards who make obvious hyperbole bait solely to whine and bitch about games they hate?
>>
>>376916109
If you are implying that the "Prime fags" loved Other M, you are dead wrong buddy

it has no fans, just trolls
>>
>>376917229
Metroid did the same thing, GF are good in Metoid 1-3 then Fusion comes along and they're corrupt all of a sudden.
>>
>>376886452
Only reason why other m failed is due to team ninja deciding samus needed to have a soft personality and a whiny fucker who no one connected with.
Plus making her rely on Adam to make her decisions was just plain dumb.
>boss comes in with a hard shell
>normal beams don't affect it but missiles do but a small margin
>has super missile but can't use it cuz Adam didn't authorize it

See that shit why it failed
>>
>>376918883
Do some research darling. Not saying Team Ninja didn't fuck up. Just saying most of your post is factually incorrect.
>>
>>376918995
Oh really son at the start of other m Samus started out fully powered up but powered her self down to please adam.. Wtf you talking about nothing I said was wrong
If so correct me faggot don't tell me I'm wrong and don't show me where
>>
>>376918883
They had nothing to do with that, Sakamoto didn't how everyone had this different view of who Samus was so he decided he wanted to correct this with Other M. Nintendo then went on to made it her definitive personality to use across the board for both the main series and Prime.
>>
>>376919524
>>
>>376918883
>people still blaming Team Ninja for everything all these years later

Sakamoto was the one in charge of the game, doofus, and all the problems with it are directly his fault because of how he wanted the game done.
>>
>>376919524
>Nintendo then went on to made it her definitive personality to use across the board for both the main series and Prime

Ah yes, I remember Samus cowering and whining like a little bitch in Prime, Hunters, Echoes, Corruption, and Federation Force. Also in Smash Bros Brawl and 4, and in Fusion and Zero Mission.
>>
>>376919524
How was I wrong now what you said doesn't call my information incorrect.

All you did was clarify what I said more deeply faggot.
Anyhow thanks for information didn't know dev wanted her to be that way thought it was all team ninja
>>
>>376919524
*make
>>
>>376919802
What game came after Other M faggot, what Prime does Samus have the only speaking role in faggot, what Prime game uses the same fucking GF insignia from Other M faggot. I rest my case, when Prime 4 is finally made Samus won't be silent anymore.

>>376919845
You're wrong because Team Ninja came out and said that the story was all Nintendo's I just went into detail on how far this shit will stretch in the series future.
>>
>>376919517
You're wrong because Team Ninja didn't have anything to do with the story. Go talk to Sakamoto about that.
>>
>>376920135
I don't remember Samus talking in Federation Force, or mewling about the baby and Adam, or cowering in terror at everything. Smash 4 also came out after MOM and Samus doesn't cry and piss herself there either. You can link us where Nintendo officially said her MOM personality is how she'll be forever and ever.
>>
File: 8541243023.gif (2MB, 680x520px) Image search: [Google]
8541243023.gif
2MB, 680x520px
>>376920382
Also in Smash, Charizard is much much larger than Little Mac, even though they are both canonically 5'7"
>>
>>376920382
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5INxySBmDo
18:46
>>
>>376920382
Sorry I should have posted this in this post >>376920625 but here is where Sakamoto says it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8GLJ0aVVo
2:24
>>
>>376920872
Why should I believe the hack that ruined the series?
>>
>>376921092
Because he is in control of the series itself so whatever he says goes.
>>
>>376910538
What makes orange so much more serious as purple?
>>
>>376921306
It's symbolic. The color Orange is used to display joy, warmth, heat, sunshine, enthusiasm, creativity, success, encouragement, change, determination, health, stimulation, happiness, fun, enjoyment, balance, sexuality, freedom, expression, and fascination.

The color Purple is used to make her look like a fruit.
>>
>>376910538
True in mainline Metroid games, the Gravity Suit is pink.
>>
>>376920872
>>376921205
Sakamoto is also never going to touch the Metroid series again, his own words. Whoever makes another Metroid game can ignore his abortion the same way he ignored every single other game in the franchise for his personal fan fiction.
>>
File: what it should be.jpg (230KB, 1500x1500px)
what it should be.jpg
230KB, 1500x1500px
>>376921636
If you go with symbolic purple is the stability of blue and the energy of red. It also stands for power, bravery and mystery.
Wich in my opinion fits Samus better than joy,enthusiasm and happiness, especially what other m tried to do was the complete opposite of happiness.

Also
>implying orange does not look like a fruit
>implying enjoyment is somehow symbolic for serious
>>
>>376922364
Sakamoto is an Executive Officer/Senior Producer now, people should really start reading up on someone's title and position before spouting bullshit. If you read through that interview he stated that he will no longer have a hands on approach when it comes to Metroid, meaning no more writing or directing, Sakamoto will just produce the game and that's it, his position is too high now.
>>
>>376922707
Exactly, he'll produce it but he's not going to actually be directly involved with making it, the same way a movie producer doesn't actually hands-on work on the movies.
>>
>>376888621
Pushing buttons is bad game design now?
>>
>>376886452
>What made Kid Icarus Uprising work with this but not Other M?
Uprising was a good game.
Other M was a bad game.

I could get into it more than that, but that really was the biggest difference. Kid Icarus was good and most people liked it. Other M was shit and most people hated it.
>>
>>376923124
Excatly, I do expect that when EPD7 makes another side scroller, they will be working with a third party.
>>
>>376890338
Have you literally EVER played a 2D Metroid game? Backtracking is a staple and enemies respawning is something that OBVIOUSLY would happen in all of them. The original Metroid is one of the most backtracking-heavy game I've ever played.
>>
>>376923389

>The original Metroid is one of the most backtracking-heavy game I've ever played.
You're playing it wrong.
>>
>>376900349
>Don't forget that the people responsible for Other M literally never played a single Metroid game in their life.
That's not true, they obviously played Fusion and wanted to make an objectively worse version of that game in every way.
>>
>>376900349
>>376923798
The person responsible for Other M was Sakamoto, who's been working on Metroid since 1987. All of those problems are because of his decisions.
>>
>>376886452
Kid Icarus wasn't sexist, and had god tier themes of /ss/.

Other M was ridiculously sexist and had shit-tier themes of an adult M/F dom/sub relationship.
>>
>>376923942
Yeah, Sakamoto never played a single Metroid game in his life.
>>
>Made by Team Ninja

>When Team Ninja turned everything it touched into shit

>While putting up with Sakamoto's complete lack of vision for 3D action games. " I loved the fuck out of Ninja Gaiden, guys. Do that but with just the wiimote!''

It was doomed to be shit since it had everything going against it. The overhype made it all the worse.

Metroid is perfectly executable as a TPS, though. Nintendoland's Metroid game plays like a fucking charm. Fuck Nintendo for not using that as base.
>>
>>376924210
He ignored all the other Metroid games so he could tell the story of Samus that he wanted to. Also a reminder that he was confused about why Samus was purple in her Gravity Suit.
>>
>>376922468
Purple is also historically associated with royalty, it was extremely fitting for the final and best suit upgrade.
>>
>>376923594
Sequence-breaking is not for first playthroughs.
>>
>>376920382
samus talks in federation force but she doesn't act anything like in other m

she doesn't act like anything at all really, her dialogue is so generic that it makes you wonder why they even had her talk at all
>>
>>376924742

Metroid barely even has a sequence.
>Get bombs and ice beam some time
>Kill Kraid and Ridley
>Kill Mother Brain
Everything in between can be done in any order because there is no order given.
>>
>>376924880
A game doesn't need a strict sequence and set path for the player to involve backtracking.
>>
>>376924973

Of course. But since just about all paths in Metroid are equally valid due to the lack of any kind of obvious canonical path, and the fact that it's very easy to construct a path with minimal backtracking, it's wrong to say that Metroid mandates a lot of backtracking.
>>
>>376923389
Metroid 1 is less about backtracking and more about farming for health cause you start at 30 every time because fuck you.
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.