[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this worth trying if I never played WoW before?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

File: file.png (77KB, 510x319px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
77KB, 510x319px
Is this worth trying if I never played WoW before?
>>
Probably not. People playing the game are fueled by nostalgia. Maybe if it was a TBC server, that's when the devs started to straighten things out.
>>
>>376884116
Would I be better off just playing actual WoW?
>>
>>376884292
Yeah. Maybe you can try the free forever 1-20 trial on live servers and see if you're interested in MMORPGs in general.
>>
>>376883689
Sure if you're dedicated to really only playing this game for awhile to get anywhere, there's a ton of information out there on vanilla wow; wiki, guides, etc.
>>
>>376883689
>Is this worth trying if I never played WoW before?
Sure. Hop on and see how you feel about it after 10-20 levels or so.

>>376884292
>Would I be better off just playing retail WoW?
No. Retail WoW is garbage. The appeal of vanilla is that there are things in it which are extremely difficult to achieve, and therefore people who have achieved those things are deserving of respect. In retail it's just a nonstop grindfest of the same shit dungeon for artifact power, and legendaries don't mean shit. In vanilla even having epics is crazily good.
>>
>>376886009
Riiiiiight, because vanilla isn't a non-stop grindfest of the same dungeon for epic l00t.
>>
>>376886009
This is bait, nothing in vanilla was difficult to achieve and the game had more pointless grinding than any other version of the game. vanilla was the worst WoW has ever been dont waste your time on it.
>>
>>376884292
Na, it's fucking awful compared to any of the other recognisable MMO titles on the market.

Even then, the genre is pretty dormant for the time being, everything potentially worth playing is still years away from release.
>>
>>376883689
>>376884292
I had never played wow so i started on nostalrius and played for 2 months and enjoyed it greatly. I was interested in current game so i tried it out and played for less than a month. Current wow is fairly boring and way too easy. I can't enjoy nostalrius now because im spoiled by easy gameplay. I got out without an addiction
>>
>>376883689
I tried playing it objectively and leveling is the most boring experience in the world.
>>
File: no thanks.png (92KB, 510x319px) Image search: [Google]
no thanks.png
92KB, 510x319px
>>376883689
No, vanilla is utter shit.
>>
>>376888272
This was my actual reaction and it parallels op's situation. Current wow is too simple, old wow is too clunky
>>
>>376888681
Old WoW was far more simple than new WoW
>>
>>376884292
Dont ask that question on /v/. Its heavily biased towards weeb shit like FFXIV which is essentially WoW with chocobos. (Although they will tell you its the best MMO ever made)

Everyone here has a massive hate boner for WoW and pretty much any other Blizzard product.
>>
>>376888681
>Current wow is too simple
Vanilla is way simplier.
One (sometimes two) actually useful builds for each class, simple but monotonous PvE and endless grind everywhere.
>>
>>376883689
That depends. Do you have an Ironwill of Patience for lots and lots of grinding to get a level and eventually 5 gold? If not, then pass on it.
>>
>>376883689

Just do the regular WoW-FREE-Trial Version to level 20. Nost is for the nostalgia keks and without the normal people playing it (that did in Classic), its just angry neckbeards left. So its nothing like classic WoW.
>>
>>376884292
Don't ask /v/, they never have a good answer to opinion questions.

Just play the Starter WoW up to level 20. If you don't mind it, then drop $15 on a month of ingame time and go into it further. Then go from there.
>>
File: nostalrius.jpg (25KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
nostalrius.jpg
25KB, 360x270px
>>376883689

Oh hey it's this again

>>376888953

>Everyone here has a massive hate boner for WoW

Pretty much this. Just go play it and decide for yourself.
>>
>>376886664
It isnt. In vanilla, levelling up is a journey and you're encouraged to be social. It's a real MMO.

There is actual content in vanilla at all levels. It isn't at all a game about racing to 60 and speed wanking.

All of these idiots spouting shit about grinding miss the fundamental point of an mom because they're so used to garbage.
>>
Vanilla is objectively a better game because it encourages social play but good luck convincing the aspergers here of the merits of that. They don't understand what the real point of an MMO is.
>>
>>376890194
>>376890297

Not being social is the playerbase's fault, not the game's. I still talk to people regularly in retail wow.

Leveling up in vanilla was also a massive headache because oftentimes you just spent hours collecting boar anuses with no narrative telling you why the anuses were so important before you were off to the next zone. The only zones with actually engaging stories in their quests that I can remember were the plaguelands, everything else was a mess.
>>
>>376890046
Don't do this OP. The people playing retail wow are by far more reprehensible than the "nostalgia keks".

Retail wow is populated by emotionless theme-park riding furries.
>>
>>376890386
The game in it's current iteration encourages antisocial behaviors.
>>
>>376890512

And the player has the ability to ignore that.

What's stopping you from striking up a conversation in a dungeon? I've met several people that I regularly run M+ and alt raids with just because I chose to say hi when I got into a group with them. I'm not defending the system because I fully recognize it's flawed design but we as people can work past it.
>>
>>376890194
In retail wow leveling involves soloing quests while waiting for auto dungeon finder to teleport you to a dungeon to fucking destroy with little thought as you aoe through it with any class with little threat of death.
>>
File: blizzcon-2017-header.jpg (245KB, 675x380px) Image search: [Google]
blizzcon-2017-header.jpg
245KB, 675x380px
>>376883689
NO!

Right now, we're just doing mindless Molten Core runs for shit loot, and BWL is 3 months away.

If I were you, I'd wait until blizzcon 2017 and see if they announce legacy servers, if not, then you should ask again (To make sure it's not dead)

Currently, the server has been run by russian crooks. (Constantly asking for donations, selling unbans to chinks for 500 yen, conveniet server shutdowns to reroll for loot) I currently don't feel entirely comfortable playing there.

Just play something else until then, you're not missing out, and it's mostly nostalgia driven.
>>
>>376890194
>levelling up is a journey and you're encouraged to be social. It's a real MMO.
No its not, its a monotonous vapid grind that requires zero interaction from other players.
>>
>>376890386
The social aspect is dead for ages, jim. Cross servers killed it. With your logic you can say to someone that has no friends talk to random people on the bus you will never see again after the ride, it's your own fault you have no friends, they are everywhere around you, there is no problem
>>
>>376886009
Vanilla is still a grindfest it just doesn't walk you through exactly what to do as much so it feels like you're accomplishing something
>>
>>376891812

Except that's not the case at all with this game since you can real ID them. I have over a dozen people on my friends list that were random mooks in dungeons I decided to talk to and now I group with them regularly. Hell I'm in my current mythic raiding guild because I impressed someone in a pug and decided to join.

It's your own fault if you choose to be anti social.
>>
>>376891868
For some reason I personally enjoy grinds a lot, but despise daily quests. Annoying tasks are just so much worse than farming a stack of herbs or doing dungeons for reputation
>>
>>376892132
I don't think it's good game design if you don't need to interact with anyone to complete the game in an mmo and talking to people an optional way of playing the game. That's not how the real world works
>>
>>376892343

Fair enough but you "not thinking" that doesn't refute my points. It's just a difference of opinion now.
>>
>>376892343

If you want to raid on any meaningful level then you are absolutely required to interact with people....where are you getting this idea?
>>
>>376892707
"I submitted an application to our low-pop realm's only raiding guild, and thats' where I met Billy, my lifelong friend"
>>
>>376892789

Actually I had to server transfer. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clear that up.
>>
Retail WoW has the xmog wardrobe
You can make your character pretty and cute ;-)
>>
>>376888953
>wow with chocobos
>start wow
>talk to first npc that gives you quest and start killing mobs after 10 sec
>start FF
>go through 2 hours of cinematic and shitty weeb text + running before you can make your first attack
>wait another 2 hours for gcd
>>
>>376893385
detected the wannabe tranny
>>
MMOs are all grindy fucking skinner box trash, and old MMOs are even grindier than new ones.

when people say "classic WoW used to take skill, now everything's handed to you on a silver platter!" they're confusing talent and effort with poopsocking
>>
Official WoW is "MUH PARSES" trash now, an abomination of what the game once used to be. No more actually being social, having a server reputation, open world pvp, fun leveling, nothing.

Vanilla/TBC WoW servers might have all the good stuff from back then, but the wonder is gone. Everything is figured out, everyone playing there is just an elitist moody veteran, there is no more sense of adventure, no more sense of achievements, nothing.
Much like playing SWG emus it's just not the same.

The dungeon finder WotLK brought was the beginning of the end for WoW. People don't realize it, but MMOs live and die by how social they are.
>>
>>376894962
>open world pvp

That's a funny way of spelling "1 shotting level 10 players"
>>
>>376890652
>What's stopping you from striking up a conversation in a dungeon?
There are situations in life where it is blatantly obvious when someone is "talking too much" or more generally communicating too much, the RDF roulette is honestly just a place where any conversation is too much.
People do actually talk more when getting matched up for M+ because you go through a non-automatic group finder and the content itself inspires more communication and that acts as the icebreaker.
>>
>>376895445

I suppose that does apply to RDF but I never really use that anymore aside from the brief period in which I have to for a fresh alt.

I met most of the people I keep contact with in the beginning of the XPAC when everyone was getting a feel for mythics and had to communicate or through m+ later. I guess that's another thing I like about the m+ system, it encourages communication and often leads to finding a long lasting group to roll with like I did.
>>
>>376894962
WoW was an abomination from the start.
>call it an MMO
>it's just a thematic chat room
WoW is the reason MMO genre is dead. If you want MMO, go find some UO or Lineage 2 server.
>>
File: 1493153220473.jpg (69KB, 600x740px) Image search: [Google]
1493153220473.jpg
69KB, 600x740px
Wrath was the best version of WoW
>>
>>376883689
Its worth trying, just to see what a hard and fun themepark mmo is.

Modern wow is just subpar in comparison. It has too many convenience features that ruin the adventure and fun.
>>
How do you sign up for an account? Looks Like nastralius has been down since 2016
>>
>>376896037
I would say the open world design in Legion encourages social interaction too. Level scaling, the compact layout of the zones and reusing leveling content (world quests) ensures that end game players keep returning to the leveling zones, unlike the old expansions where leveling zones see a drastic drop in traffic after a few months. I see a lot random /say from folks I pass by too. It's just minor quips like "can you help kill this xxx", "this demon is really fat", "FUCK YOU THAT'S MINE", etc. but it makes the game more lively.
>>
>>376883689
But Nostalrius is no more...
>>
>>376884292
dont do it, its fun but you are going to feel like shit by the end of the day
>>
>>376897972
Yeah I was really getting hyped for vanilla wow is there any other place to get accounts to log in with the nastralius game client?
>>
File: 1493950204178.jpg (55KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1493950204178.jpg
55KB, 900x900px
>>376883689
I remember hearing a out some problems with this. Didn't the Nostalrius guys pull support from Elysium or something? I also heard that certain servers were shit using old technology and that some server that came out later was better. Is that true? If so, which server is it best to play on (in Elysium) or is a better PS host altogether out there? How's the population? I played the first Elysium PvE server thing that opened some time ago but people told me there's a better server coming up later.

Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>376896507
Wrath was the most fun because half the specs werent fucking completely useless
>>
Please respond
>>
>>376884292
the two games are just completely different games at this point, but they are both great. current wow is still by far the best mmo on the market and there's no competition even close. other mmos have to get by doing a certain aspect of the game better, but as an overall package if you tried to objectively compare, nothing would just compare to wow. that's just how it is.

modern wow is more than just old wow with a bunch of additions and balance changes. the design philosophies behind the games are just way different.

vanilla wow was basically an amalgamation of popular MMOs at the time (everquest, dark age of camelot, ultima online, etc.) with blizzards polish and making it less grindy (by that day's standards), but retaining basically all of the hardcore elements from those games. modern wow isn't like that, it's much easier and streamlined at least until you get to the highest of the end game content (mythic raiding).
>>
>>376888681
people always have this backwards for some reason.

vanilla was so much simpler in all aspects than any wow iteration that came after it it's hard to exaggerate.

vanilla was harder, but that's exclusively because of numbers tuning (enemies hitting harder, players being less powerful). which is not a bad thing, don't misunderstand me. but modern wow is certainly more complex and varied.
>>
>>376899692
Anyone?
>>
vanilla is good but there are no good servers, so don't bother
>inb4 Elysium
no, fuck off
>>
>>376890194
another common point that is completely wrong. the pre-endgame content in current wow dwarfs vanilla by such a huge amount it can't be understated. besides the fact that there are (I think) twice as many quests pre-60 compared to vanilla and actually full story lines in every zone in the game, you can also now do stuff like pvp to level up, or pet battling if that's your thing.

the only problem is that you have to forcefully pace yourself if you want to enjoy that content, because blizz made XP requirements for leveling up very low so people can get to max level faster (they do this every expansion, they said with every new expansion they want a 1 to max level character to take as long as it did in the previous expansion). they'll probably solve that next expansion though, they've hinted at level scaled regions for a while now since it's been so successful in legion.
>>
>>376892343
but... you do have to interact with people to 'complete' the game? unless your definition of completing the game is just getting to max level, which is a laughable concept.
>>
>>376884292
you know since I'm at it, I want to point out that current WoW does a great job to make the world feel alive and busy.

the world design of the broken isles makes it much smaller than past regions, and at max level there are world quests and other events all over the place in every region, and then there's the cross realm phasing, which leads to a game world that is constantly alive.

even when you're just leveling up (at 100-110 at least) you'll constantly see tons of people doing various things near you even in the middle of the night. if you're on a pvp server it also means you're often getting ganked unles you know to avoid players with a red nameplate.
>>
>>376901065
eh for people who haven't played past expansions, I want to explain why that's kind of a big deal. in all past expansions I can remember, all the zones became fairly barren (except for a few select small places, like raid and dungeon entrances) after most players reached max level. this just isn't the case anymore.
>>
>>376891150
you shitting me? bwl is still not out? you talking about elysium?
>>
>>376894804
I don't know what poopsocking means but I think I agree with what you're saying. however what's so bad about skinner boxes?
>>
>>376894962
live and die by what standards? wow is still going so strong that their dev team is literally two thousand or so people strong, distributed in various places in the world.
>>
>>376900321
endgame is gay as fuck now too
>we make le heroic mode so le everyone can kill le lich king in normal mode xD
>they fail to realize that everyone only cares about killing final boss in it's hardest form
fast forward some expansion
>we made le mythic raids so le everyone can do le heroic raids xD
after what they did to diablo and now this shit blizzard is unforgivable, please do not give them money
>>
>>376900690
>>376899692
yes, nost got cucked when they got invited to blizzard, in hopes of achieving some official classic servers shit from blizzard which is of course never going to happen, at least until wow is close to dying for real and they want a way to get old players back (which I doubt will ever happen. 7 mil players it has at this point, even if only 100k would ever be left playing, that would still be so much fucking money that you could drive a huge dev team with that).

also elysium is run by russians who earn money with it from the start. they have deals with the chinese gold farmers etc.
>>
>>376901496
don't really know what to say except that I disagree. you can cry all you want but 7 million people (as far as I know, about 5 mil of those from europe, americas, russia) still play the game and enjoy it greatly, me among them. endgame raiding is really fun when you're in a mythic guild. understandable that they put in easier modes for casual players, but those don't negatively influence me. in contrast, I have something to do with alts without requiring a raiding guild that carries me through the only difficulty of the dungeon.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.