[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Bethesda manage to fuck up Fallout 4 enormously when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

File: Knight.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Knight.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
How did Bethesda manage to fuck up Fallout 4 enormously when it looked like they had a somewhat good understanding with 3? That fucking free to play Fallout shelter game is a more Fallout game than that piece of shit 4.
>>
>>376857516
>they had a somewhat good understanding with 3
Fallout 3 was my first Fallout game: the post.
>>
>>376857698
Asthetically and design wise they had a good understanding. And new bots like the Mr. Gutsy and Protectron were good. Supwr Mutants were actually Super looking. They had real weapons and firearms instead of stupid fucking wood pipe guns, and the classic Super Sledge instead of that abysmal fucking rocket in 4. So yes everything in Fallout 3 is generally more Fallout. The only problems was the main story and the meme shotgun, also Little lamplight but you'd expect things like this corrected in the next game. Not have everything gutted and replaced with things even fucking worse.
>>
Normie pandering, it was a big case of not realizing that what people ask for is not necessarily what they'll like.

Settlement building and voiced dialogue are the kind of things that kids who don't properly understand why the game works would post on youtube comments as things they'd want the next Fallout to have. One of the jobs of a game designer is to look at fan feedback and filter out the dumb ideas. With all the focus on things like settlement building or getting the player dialogue to work with their limited VA budget they ended up neglecting things that actually needed attention and out came a mediocre Fallout game. Once Chad finished making his little village and the novelty of hearing your survivor talk wore off he realized that the rest of the game was just "eh" and went back to playing Skyrim.
>>
>>376858119
>Supwr Mutants were actually Super looking.
they looked like yellow orcs and behaved like dumb brutes. yes, different FEV strain, I know
>The only problems was the main story
and literally every single thing related to writing or worldbuilding

at least FO4 is a passable Borderlands clone
>>
>>376858256
Fallout 3 Super mutants looked exactly like what you'd expect from 1 and 2 in 3d and yellow. The proportions were great and now in dogshit 4 they look like skinny autists that are dwarfed by Power Armor.
>>
>>376858256
I think what he's trying to say is that Bethesda still kept the original Fallout aesthetic in 3; while it was definitely very different in terms of the setting and how they presented the story the visuals were spot on for what a Fallout game should look like.
>>
>>376857516
At least fallout 4 had gameplay that was enjoyable to play. They dropped the ball on the story and questlines, but it wasn't that far of a fall from 3. Todd admits that the dialog wheel was a mistake, so that's nice to know I guess. The dlc for 4 was a joke. Honestly I didn't mind the settlement building, but found myself not using it that much at all. Bethesdas problem is that they tried to sell 4 as a rpg when it should of been marketed as a action game with light rpg mechanics sprinkled through out. As much of a let down fallout 4 was for me, it was hard for me to dismiss it completely, because they did do some things right.
>>
>>376858180
You think Bathesda will actually start giving a shit again when they get around to making another Fallout game? No way they'd let themselves get humiliated again by a third party like Obsidian. Maybe go back to making a Fallout 3 like game and getting rid of that horrible tier 4? I mean shit go back to the fucking Fallout diologue box, copying a diologue wheel from one of the worst fucking rpgs ever made me wanna vomit.
>>
File: Oil Rig.jpg (204KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Oil Rig.jpg
204KB, 640x480px
>>376858778
They completely changed the look of all the the sci-fi weapons (occasionally for the best, mostly for the worst), and what impression I've gotten from Fallout architecture where you could see it was that it was more art deco-ish and generally more weird. The lead artist of FO3, Adam whatshisname (RIP), never actually played the older games, as he admitted himself in an interview. The most likely course of action was that he was told to make a "retrofuturistic post-nuclear game". There isn't too many ways you can make those.
>>
>>376859296
The energy weapons and other futuristic weapons in 3 were all pretty great ( I still get a hard on from the Gauss rifle) and they added different anmo types, Microfusion cells, energy cells and Electron Charge Packs. Everything get's fucking butchered in Fallout 4. Why? Why would they replace such sleek designs for putrid, jury rigged looking garbage?
>>
I understand the people who complain any of the Bethesda Fallouts are not good, but I simply do not understand the complaints about Fallout 4 being shit compared to 3. In almost every aspect it's a huge step up. Even the messy storyline wins the black and white morality superhero Brotherhood of 3. New Vegas is still best for the writing alone though.
>>
>>376857516
All they needed to do was drop the house building and keep in skills. That's the only stuff I didn't like about the game.
>>
>>376859605
>The energy weapons and other futuristic weapons in 3 were all pretty great
I liked the laser guns but all the plasma ones look hilariously fragile and borderline steampunk. Gauss is fucking abomination (yes, I know it's based on Lahti AT rifle).
>they added different anmo types, Microfusion cells, energy cells and Electron Charge Packs
You know all those were in original Fallouts, right?
>>
File: 1488071797902.jpg (339KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488071797902.jpg
339KB, 1920x1080px
The dialog choices in the game are so deep and thought provoking
>>
>>376859619
They gutted almost all the designs we've been used to in Fallout 3 and NV. Good looking weapons like the Gatling laser, Gauss rifle, Flamer, 10mm, Minigun and even the fucking ripper all look fucking hideous. The "LE WACKY 50'S XD" is forced in your face 24/7 instead of being in the backround casually in posters, buildings and music. Removed the normal leveling systems and got rid of perks completely. I mean what the fuck you had actual skill checks in fallout 3 why would you axe it completely?
>>
>>376859691
>House building
Why people constantly complain about this? If you don't play the main plot you don't have to build anything. If you play the main plot you have to build in like 2 occasions. Still people treat the option to build a settlement like something that broke the game.
>>
File: IMG_0543.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0543.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>376860005
>>
>>376859982
Nope. Only thing that existed in the classic Fallouts was Energy Cells, which were Microfusion Cells, Fallout 3 added the new ammo. Why they decide to get rid of a good thing I don't know, probably related to that dogshit crafting.
>>
>>376860270
>House building
> therefore no other settlements, do it yourself
Shit game design there.
>>
File: crackheadsess.gif (3MB, 237x329px) Image search: [Google]
crackheadsess.gif
3MB, 237x329px
>>376860005
jesus
>>
>>376860303
We are both wrong.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Small_energy_cell_(Fallout)
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Microfusion_cell_(Fallout)
ECPs are Beth thing, though. Weird. I actually thought the small black ones from FO1/2 were ECPs, but those are small cells.
>>
>>376860207
The leveling system is a pretty legit complaint. Aesthetics and other designs are pretty much a matter of opinion, personally I liked the more colorful and less dull-brown designs and "wacky 50's" as it felt more like alternative world rather than your average post-apoc world.
>I mean what the fuck you had actual skill checks in fallout 3 why would you axe it completely?
Skill checks are still there though, but for example in dialog you don't see the percents. Also the system was kinda shitty as for example in speech checks you could just reload saves until you succeeded.
>>
>>376860406
The game has pretty much the same amount of settlements as the 3 did. I understand if you're comparing it to non-Bethesda games but then the entire complaint is kind of pointless as it isn't even limited to 4.
>>
Weird, actually. It's almost like Todd gathered everyone "-We really, really need to pander to children or literal retards, team! -But Mr. Howard, sir... - I said PANDER TO RETARDS"

Did people complain about Skyrim or F3 being too hard or something
>>
>>376860913
>It's almost like Todd gathered everyone "-We really, really need to pander to children or literal retards, team! -But Mr. Howard, sir... - I said PANDER TO RETARDS"
that was the Oblivion designer meeting yes
>>
>>376860731
But that's wrong though. Fallout 3 laughsble had MORE settlements than dogshit 4
Fallout 3
>Little Lamplight
>Tenpenny tower
>Bigtown
>Paradise Falls
>Oasis
>Megaton
>Rivet City
>Canterberry commons
>Underworld
>The Citadel

Fallout 4
>Diamond city
>that Vault
>Goodneighbor
>that place with walls
>?????
Everything else was build it yourself, which you can't even do properly because of the non-flat lands and un-deleteable meshes.
>>
>>376861050
>which you can't even do properly because of the non-flat lands and un-deleteable meshes.

Mods and mods.
>>
>>376861198
>mods will fix it
>polished turd.jpg
At least with Fallout 3 it's somewhat completed that the modpower was put into gameplay, more weapons and gear, not picking up were the fucking lazy developers couldn't even be assed to finish.
>>
>tfw to lazy to install mods
literally never moded a bethesda game
what a special snowflake I am /v/
>>
>>376861050
But that's super biased. If you're going to count 3 building locations such as bigtown, oasis and a goddamn Brotherhood base as settlements there's no reason why you wouldn't do the same for 4. There's a ton of shit, like Boston airport, Children of Atoms in glow, Atom cats garage, the ship with robots, most of the settlements before you get the build rights such as Graygarden, Slog, etc etc. And those are just from the top of my head but you should get the point.

Compared to non-Bethesda Fallouts the amount of settlements is small both in 4 and 3 alike, you just don't want to see the matter objectively.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 440x114px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 440x114px
>>376861547
I'm sorry but mods cannot magically fix garbage like this Todd, especially when it's imbedded into the games code.
>>
>>376861521
If you can't see that FO3 is the worst Fallout ever conceived sans Tactics, don't ever bother replying.
>>
>>376861710
Literally looks better than FO3 crap.
>>
>>376861547
Just get Mod Organizer 2 and you will see how easy it is. Once you started you won't stop.
Literally just browse through them on nexus and download anything you like, you will rarely encounter problems other than when two mods are incompatible with each other.

It's 2-3 clicks per mod.
There's some really good shit out there anon, check it out.
>>
I thought Fallout 3 > Fallout 4 was a meme but you faggots are really doing this, aren't you?
>>
Honestly, its the quests. Not even the dialog wheel, the amount and quality of the quests is insanely low when EVEN compared to Fallout 3, Oblivion and Skyrim. Far less than all three game, and not a single memorable quest.
>>
What if Arcanum 2 on Fo4 engine
>>
>>376861972
As a guy who's fav. game is NV, yes, 3 is better than 4 in many ways. Only gunplay is worse I think.
>>
>>376861972
You honestly thing that crap, mass effect diologie wheel having 4 is better than 3? I mean 3 has it's flaws but it's more of a Fallout game than that shit. Bethesda somewhat cared when they made it.
>>
File: kirk.png (109KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
kirk.png
109KB, 500x381px
It's stupid to think Bethesda has any understanding whatsoever what makes Fallout great. It's painfully obvious the people in charge of designs and especially the writing (fucking Emil) have never played Fallout 1 and 2.

It's a worn out argument, but seriously, it's been 200 fucking years since the war and everything still looks like shit in Bethesda fallout. Even New Vegas didn't escape this, mostly because they had to use the assets.

In about 150 years, Shady Sands developed into a town with clean, paved roads, newly furnished and built houses and a working police force. Meanwhile in Bethesda Fallout it looks like the war couldn't have been more than 20 years past. It's just trite.
>>
>>376862752
>"Waah voiced protagonist"
>"Waah you can build settlements"
>Literally every other aspect has been considerably improved
Only people with nostalgia goggles will deny this.
>>
>>376862862
I would have accepted why everything looks blown to shit if it was Berhesda's East Coast version of Fallout 1. But instead of making it a prequel they need to make it move forward and to have the fucking Brotherhood in it.
>>
>>376857516
>it looked like they had a somewhat good understanding with 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ1gyIzg78
>>
>>376862259
Whyboner
>>
>>376863001
Name something other than gunplay or Power armor then you faggot. Gutting Perks and the skills is what I would call a downgrade and not an improvement at all.
>>
File: can this face lie.png (79KB, 241x245px) Image search: [Google]
can this face lie.png
79KB, 241x245px
Pete Hines is to blame. He bullies Todd and doesn't let him create the games he wants to.

https://discord.gg/khuCbs4
>>
>>376859619
Whatever minimal roleplaying elements 3 had were all taken away. Fallout 4 is closer to a Far Cry game than Fallout 3.
>>
>>376860005
>yes
>no
>maybe
>I don't know
>can you repeat the question
>>
File: 1426473684975.jpg (8KB, 364x160px) Image search: [Google]
1426473684975.jpg
8KB, 364x160px
about to start playing Fallout 4 next week

what are the essential mods to fix the game?
>>
>>376863246
>Gutting useless nonsense is a downgrade

Fuck you.
>>
File: 1446689393402.jpg (32KB, 540x547px) Image search: [Google]
1446689393402.jpg
32KB, 540x547px
>>376863304
For real though, Pete Hines is the one. It doesn't matter if you like Todd or not, you should understand that he did nothing wrong. He only became a cog of bigger machine.
>>
>>376863246
There's a ton if you start listing, but some of my favorites are more proficient level design with actual vertical elements and a city that isn't just connected tunnels, removal of shitty and forcible karma system that didn't work even in a same way as in 1 and 2 but punished you for literally stealing cans, plotline that doesn't have an obvious solution but shades of gray even if it's pretty shit it's still better than the Brotherhood focused heroic Fallout 3 shit, radiation sickness system that's actually affects gameplay instead of minimal stat damage. I could go on even longer but I'm sure you'll just nitpick about these choices to no end so I'll just stop now.
>>
>>376863078
Everything this video points out about 3 is much worse in 4.
>>
>>376863614
Uninstall.exe fixed every problem I had with Fallout 4.
>>
>>376862631
>As a guy who's fav. game is NV
Why is this relevant?
>>
File: 1494077604326.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1494077604326.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
he commonwealth looks like 20 years after the bomb, not 210. Such shit world design, boring quests, terrible dialogue and overall boring game play. Stories terrible too.

> TFW people say I only hate fo4 because I love New Vegas so much that I fuck it
> MFW I played fo4 before NV
> MFW NV is a great game
>>
>>376864670
NV had better writing, quests, and roleplaying than 3.
>>
File: 2278-1-1448275929.jpg (293KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2278-1-1448275929.jpg
293KB, 1920x1080px
one of the lesser mentioned gripes about this game is how shitty the gun models are

in F:NV I don't think there was a single gun that looked as fucked as the ones in 4
>>
>>376857698
All Fallout games before 3 are trash.
>>
>>376865124
Sure, but why is that relevant to the argument you were trying to make?
>>
>they had a somewhat good understanding with
>>
>>376863614
FROST

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18898/?

The only way to fix Fallout 4 is to wipe the slate clean. It removes nearly all the NPCs and most of the dialogue while majorly changing the locations. It turns it into a survival mod, similar to DUST for New Vegas, and is heavily based on Metro 2033.

If that's not your style, then uninstall your game and see if you can get a refund. Fallout 4 is one of the biggest pieces of shit I have ever played.
>>
>>376858119
>instead of stupid fucking wood pipe guns

but pipeguns (or rather zip-guns) are more believable than some sort of AK-clone in .32 auto...

also all the guns were left-handed (which is also an issue in Stalker to be fair, but wasn't an issue in FO3 or NV), the only good thing was power-armor-mechanics, to some degree settlement building (as that might have a use in procedural generated towns that don't need to be entirely handmade and detailed)

Still the lack of fucking ladders, some of the choices with things like Synths, etc, arguably hurt the FO franchise as a whole... The Institute was Big Mountain minus any self-awareness.
>>
>>376867634
I'm all for bashing Bethesda but who the fuck even cares about ladders?
>>
>>376865185
the funny part was I might believe their story that "it's an assault rifle, but for power armored troops", if it was in .308/7.62NATO, and had a drum/saddle-mag... as it is in game it's apparently using 5.56NATO, which isn't nearly going to work as well.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.