[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a flaw Pro tip: you can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 5

File: ss.jpg (9KB, 329x153px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
9KB, 329x153px
Name a flaw

Pro tip: you can't
>>
the character art
>>
Describe this game in 100 words without using either "Dark" or "Souls"
>>
Ok. Combining bloodborne's mechanic of enemies picking up bloodstains with an infinite enemy spawner, creating a situation where it is impossible to retrieve your souls.
>>
>>376838754
it's like bloodborne
>>
>>376838541
You mean besides the hideous art and the unoriginality?
>>
>>376838541
No map in a 2D game. Which relates to the game's problem of sticking so hard to the Souls formula without realizing the problems that causes.
>>
No map.

It's really hard to know for sure where you've been and where you've not been, and the 2d aspect of it makes it too easy to get lost.
>>
>>376838754
Sark Douls.
>>
I got lost after playing for about 6 hours. Then spent like an hour trying to find where the fuck I'm supposed to go, then dropped it for now.
>>
>>376838964
you must have really shit memory given how basic the world was with named sections

at most you just had to note spots you couldn't reach yet to go back later
>>
>>376838754
A 2D platformer where you travel a layered island.
>>
this game is just a rip off of dark souls

If you want something unique

play this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YpFZcSD3Z0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaHTgdFD4hU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct41NQTfV1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFxkxZj9Zk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPeKSgt13ak
>>
>>376838541
horrible art
no original ideas
game play mostly involves mashing the same button over and over
Perk tree was boring and only did things that are normally controlled by your stats in most games
>>376838952
>>376838964
You guys are literal retards.
>>
>>376839494
>procedurally generated
haha fuck off
>>
>>376838664
They released 2 of their xbox360 yesterday on steam.
All of their games look like this
>>
The later Platforming segments
Very few adventure tracks and boss tracks
Lack of a map along with a 2d perspective and not many distinguishing landmarks make the game more annoying to navigate than it should be.
Changing weapons to different types doesn't allow you to change them back to their original type. It's not the hugest problem because you can usually buy another weapon of the same type, but you can only buy greatswords from one type shrine vendor IIRC, and you only get one in the game through pick up, meaning if you upgrade it into the scissor weapon and don't have access to that one shrine type, you're locked out of the other greatswords for the rest of the game, like me
Also Spindlebeasts. Fuck those things
>>
>>376839906
it does not matter if everytime you interact with enemies something new happens

the new class hes adding to the game is litterally a flying robot where you can give spells and weapons
>>
>>376838541
It tries to emulate the interconnected mazelike world of dark souls 1 but it doesn't work as well in 2-d, and I as of yet have not finished the game because navigation is extremely difficult

In actual dark souls games even though the path forward may be slightly convoluted you can almost always figure out which direction to go by simply looking up at any landmarks in the sky and orient yourself from there

Obviously you can't do that in this game and there's no map that I know of so navigating is a chore
>>
>>376840206
Do people actually do this?
>>
>>376839906
Is there any procedurally generated meme game that isn't shit?

Aside from Terraria maybe
>>
>>376840450
Navigation by landmarks is common in video games. So is navigation by menu map or compass.
>>
>>376839494
Looks like Vagante
>>
>>376840767
>>376840450
I only played Dark Souls 1 but I don't think I ever looked up for landmarks or something. Hell, most of the game is underground and only the path to the Undead Parish has you moving up.
>>
>>376840946
You don't get what navigation by landmarks are, until you played a game where that isn't possible. And there is no substitute(compass, map, fast travel, etc).
I.E Gothic 1, before you get access to maps with player marker.
>>
>>376840839
THATS THE OTHER GAME i was thinking about. it is vagante with physics interaction
>>
>>376838754

Krad Sluos
>>
Never finished it. Got frustrated at the difficulty. I hated the leveling system. Reminded me of the shitty sphere grid from FFX except not as organized or well designed so it looks like a clusterfuck.
>>
>>376839494
Graphics are pure fucking trash. I can't believe people pay for this shit.
>>
>>376838541

Horrific art style.
>>
>>376838754
unlit spirits
>>
>>376838541
Really easy. Last two bosses (not seethe and Salty king) are such fucking jokes.
>>
File: Why___.png (63KB, 173x180px) Image search: [Google]
Why___.png
63KB, 173x180px
>>376842958
>Make a cool final boss
>Only special feature is relentless ability to keep attacking, and almost no HP
>>
>>376838541
Bosses hit you from offscreen way too fucking much.
>>
>>376838541
Occasional crashes
/thread
>>
>>376844154
The dragon is weak to lightning anon.
>>
>>376839906
>>376839519
>>376839494

cool, now to find the sanctuary
>>
>>376838754
You collect salt (to level up) and gold (to buy shit) as you travel an island built of bits and pieces of a fantasy world fighting bosses. Some areas are poorly lit.
>>
>>376838754
Bloodborne
>>
>>376838541
The art is so shitty my character had to wear a mask the whole playthrough. And those fucking unicorns.
Pretty good apart from that.
>>
I liked everything but those stupid fucking character faces. I get that it's their style but that doesn't make it not look stupid.
>>
Shit art. Like really shit.

They went with a control scheme different from souls games for no apparent reason (this is minor though).

Stats on weapons were somehow less clear than demon's souls.
>>
>>376838541
At what point is something like this just blatant plagiarism? I like this game but the amount of stuff it blatantly copies from Souls games make it more than just a game inspired by Souls.
>>
Great Hammers are OP
>>
> uneven difficulty of the bosses where occasionally some of the hardest may be followed by some that are piss-easy
> NG+ wasn't playtested and the dev even admitted this
> there are tons of shortcuts but due to the travelling system and the lack of any real reasons to backtrack to early locations makes them kinda pointless
> some of the creeds like the mage one are way too late into the game
> they updated the amazingly bad German translation which was fucking hilarious
> gold only has any real value when you play as a ranged character and need to buy ammo
> kinda falls apart in terms of level design in the later half (just look at the map: the left is filled with intricate mazes while the right is pretty empty in comparison)
>>
>>376846202
Let's be honest: it's just as inspired by DS as it is by later Castlevania games with its platforming, obtainable skills, special moves, etc. while also bringing its own stuff to the table like all the sanctuary stuff or magic system.
>>
>>376842952
post of the month here
>>
>>376846202
Pretty sure you can axe any outright plagiarism complaints by pointing to the fact that it cuts out an entire dimension.
>>
>>376846602
To be fair, some of the zones on the right are more just bonus things. Pitchwoods is an entirely optional area, with some unique mechanics, like dealing with those fucking unicorns.
>>
>>376846887
>Castlevania
Not even in the slightest.
>>
>>376847442
It's pretty heavily inspired by SotN.

It definitely borrows more from the Vania part of Metroidvania.
>>
>>376847625
The only -vania part of metroidvania is RPG elements. Stats and limited use weapons, for example. Everything else is pure Metroid or things Castlevania copied from Metroid.
>>
I thought the reveal could've been done way better if everyone had their suspicions rather than that one tomb raiding motherfucker.
>>
>>376847442
>you can collect stuff that allows you to access new areas in older areas.
Sorry I dont remember ever finding the double jump in dark souls
>>376847826
Man shit I think Salt and sanctuary has stats
>>
>>376847826
Dark Souls is pretty much what you get when you translate the SotN formula to 3D, and place a heavy emphasis on verticality.

Salt and Sanctuary takes Dark Souls, and reverts it back to 2D, and from there, you can totally see the Castlevania.
>>
>Soulslike
>2d platformer
no thanks
>>
>>376848105
It's good though.

People meme games being Soulslike, but this is straight up Souls by any other name. It feels like the type of spin you'd see a handheld get, you know? Like, you've got the big game on a console, and a 2D version of the GBA, or DS.
>>
>>376838541
No point in using anything but guns
Some weapon classes are inferior copies of other ones, see Reapers
Bosses are piss easy
No reason to join anyone but the Betrayers and Goldbros
No gold scaling on NG+ is stupid
Copies Soulsborne so much it also copies all of the flaws without even trying to fix them
Character art is pretty fucking bad
Roll2win is real
No real sequence breaking to speak of
Spindlebeasts
Platforming has some problems
Riposte is ridiculous
NG+ is stupid because you can't actually make hybrid classes without being massively underpowered on all fronts
Magic is boring just like Soulsborne
Music is total shit
>>
>>376838541
Every Souls-like that I've played just makes me want to play Dark Souls or its sequels instead.
>>
Are there any plans for a sequel?
>>
>>376848879
I would hope to see their take on 2d Bloodborne
>>
>>376849181
What?
>>
>>376849181
That was more or less the Hunter class.
>>
>>376849345
I kind of want to see what it would be like if they did.

But as far as I know they've not indicated anything like that or a sequel of any kind.
>>
Tried playing it yesterday, looks and plays like a Newgrounds flash game from ten years ago.
>>
>>376838754
ebony spirits
>>
>what if we took chibi robo but turned it 2d
>chibi robo fans hate it
>what if we took pikmin but turned it 2d
>pikmin fans hate it
>what if we took portal but turned it 2d
>portal fans hate it
>what if we took dark souls but turned it 2d
>dark souls fans love it

Why do Soulsfags have such shit taste?
>>
>>376849459
well last thing they did was port 2 of their xbox 360 arcade games to steam
>>376849623
How funny theres always someone who says the same every S&S thread
>>
For the size of the development team, the game is damn impressive. It was basically a two person project, and they got a 20+ hour RPG out of it.
>>
>>376838541
bad
>>
>>376849720
Cause it worked?

There's an entire genre of basically 2D Souls that have existed long before Souls itself.
>>
>>376839494
It's like 2D Cubeworld, but good.
>>
>>376849720
well chibi robo 2d and pikmin 2d betray their original genre that is uhhhm and rts.
2D portal offerd nothing special
>>
>>376838541
Fuck, I wish I've had money to buy it.
>>
>>376849819
It didn't, though. It's a garbage conversion of Dark Souls to 2D and >>376849623 is spot on.
>>
Weapon balance is shitty. Small weapons are mediocre, large weapons are overpowered.
Cleric builds are shit and the only truly good cleric weapon is dropped by endgame side boss.
Armor and rolling design is mediocre. It's always better to have a fast roll than to have heavy armour.
Creed balance is shit. There's order of the betrayer with their powerful debuff, there's house of splendor with its ridiculous buff, other may as well not exist at all.
Majority of bosses are very meh.

But overall, it's still a solid and fun metroidvania, especially when you understand that it was made by 2 people.
>>
>>376838541
map
>>
>>376850078
No? Visually it's not the best (it's an indie), but it's got a sprawling world many of the same mechanics you'd see in a Souls game.
>>
>>376850230
LotF has many of the same mechanics you'd see in a Souls game too, but that didn't stop that game from being bad and neither did it stop S&S.
>>
>>376850365
I liked both games.
>>
>>376850365
or the Souls series
>>
Some of the bosses are just so shit, I dare anyone to even try and defend witch of the lake
>>
>>376850365
How about the fact that it's an entirely different take on Souls by shifting it to 2D?

A team of two people successfully reimagined a very intricate RPG title.
>>
>>376838754

Blandald BLUMPGF
>>
>>376850535
A team of two people ripped off a different game by taking everything whole-sale and making a shitty 2 stars newgrounds game. Even the good newgrounds games like Alien Hominid had some creativity to them.
>>
>>376850673
>2 Stars Newgrounds game

by god no, Newgrounds shit is shittier than legit shit.
>>
>>376850673
You're not saying why it's bad though.

It obviously didn't take things wholesale either, considering so many elements had to be altered to be a 2D game.
>>
>>376850673
no actually, why are you doing this?
You are like barneyfag.
>>
>>376850772
Read the thread. It's been mentioned already.
>>
>>376850470
She's cheap but on NG+ it's actually the only boss who can put up a fight.
Carsejaw is much worse, and so it's The Coveted, That Smell Most Foul or Ronin Cran, they're absolute jokes at any difficulty, hell you can grind That Smell Most Foul for easy infinite salt as much as you want because it's piss easy and poses less threat than a mook.
The only bosses that are fun to fight are The Dried King and The Witch of the Lake, eveything else ranges from obnoxious to plain laughable, I couldn't believe how much of a joke is the Nameless God.
>>
>>376850901
Like, there are some technical complaints, yeah, but you can tell they're from people who deep dived into the game, and found things that they saw that annoyed them.

You get that in spades with the official Souls games, too.
>>
>>376850951
are you in the betrayers party?
>>
>>376850772
S&S is to Castlevania what MN09 is to MegaMan, a bad rip-off.
>>
>>376851185
No, I run as a goldbro from the House of Splendor, Betrayers aren't fun because their debuff bomb is just too strong, and I don't like edgelord factions, plus goldbros get the golden armor and that silly mask.
>>
>>376851325
Except Salt has solid mechanics and ideas at its core, while MN9 was just a team trying to swoop in and take money from angry Capcom fans.
>>
>>376851606
No, you've got that backwards. MN09 had solid mechanics and new creative ideas at its core, while S&S is a poor rip-off of Castlevania and Dark Souls made by some greedy fucks to ride on the popularity of the Souls series.
>>
>>376851960
why are you like this?
>>
>>376851960
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you've never even played the game, and are just here to fuck around because you're bored.
>>
>>376852085
I'm always right because I was born a genius.
>>
No map and the characters look really bad.
>>
>>376851960
I don't know if I've ever seen something this contrarian before. You got the whole thing back asswards.

unless you're mentally prepping for Red Ash
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/405290/Charlie_Murder/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268990/The_Dishwasher_Vampire_Smile/
just a reminder all their games look like this
>>
Character designs and art design in general are just poor and feel like a hollow attempt at replicating Souls - which could be applied to just about anything else in the game. Combat does not translate well to 2D, a particularly annoying example being enemies firing arrows at you from miles off screen with no way to understand when they're coming or where they're coming from without physically going to them. Bosses are poorly designed and generally uninteresting - they don't have enough moves or spectacle to keep your attention, seeing as you're gonna be doing the same shit over and over to whittle down their health anyway. The story is pathetic, any lore they attempt to establish the bosses with is wafer thin and usually unconnected to everything else in the game. It's still a decent metroidvania at heart, but it's just such a shallow interpretation of the Souls franchise and seriously kept me from enjoying the game.
>>
>>376852458
>hollow

That was a lot of text just for that joke
>>
>>376852458
You are wrong. S&S is a brilliant translation of Souls to 2D.
>>
>>376852628
nono slashy souls is the true souls experience
>>
>>376852568
Unintentional, honestly
>>376852628
I'm not going to tell you you're wrong because that's your right to say that, but at least provide some reasons why.
>>
>>376852458
I think there are parts of the game where the art works. There's some especially creative design later on, as architecture gets flipped and turned around, as you unlock new movement capabilities. It's especially notable in the environment prior to the last boss.

I think its biggest weakness visually is that it's kind of trying to build off a "style" established in these releases >>376852425.

I don't know if they were thinking they were building off an "in-house" aesthetic, but it just doesn't work all the time. Granted, most of the time, you're not even going to see you're character due to the armor they'll wear.
>>
>>376839494
Why would I not just play terraria?
>>
>>376848274
You forgot heavy armor is significantly stronger as well and the eldritch boat level is kind of a pain
I think they fixed it but you could also accidentally skip like 5 areas, beat the boss of that place then not go any further because you don't have the brand. (was some fall that is supposed to kill you but if you touched like a pillar on the way down you lived)
Endings are also kind of shit
>>
Why does wounding and fatigue even need to be mechanics?

Why do incantations/prayers share the same list as the inventory? It's too impractical to go through all of these in the middle of the battle, and it's so silly since spells and items in DS are different lists.
>>
File: 1430956164444.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1430956164444.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>Open a random message bottle
>Dark Soul is over rated
>>
When is the real 2D Dark Souls coming out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNPD0EK9W34
>>
>>376854489
Wounding is there to balance out farming with lifesteal.
And to make all the excessive healing mechanics more balanced.
Spell list is fine.
>>
>>376838541

I liked the soundtrack but there wasn't enough of it.
The artstyle is weird but I didn't hate it.
2h weapons were insanely overpowered, at least when I played it. I never even had to learn any boss strategy if there are any because I just had to spam r1 until they were dead. Sometimes U had to wear different gear for it to resist their attacks for longer.
>>
>>376838541
I cannot play this game simply because of the fucking shit tier character art that looks like it was drawn by a anime obsessed child
>>
Am I the only one that COMPLETELY got lost in that game? I never heard anyone else say this. I even had to look it up where the fuck I had to go next and even there I was confused. I played the game the wrong way around. I came from the opposite direction in my PT than any of the guys on youtube. What the fuck. I managed but still, what the fuck.
>>
The artstyle literally makes it look like a newgrounds flash game

it is completely derivative of dark souls to a ridiculous degree
>>
File: 1494668859969.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494668859969.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>376855629
>Spell list is fine

It's legitimate garbage, you cannot actually make use of prayers or incantations without making it a huge list and dying all the time since you cannot find your poultices in time
>>
>>376840206
>It tries to emulate the interconnected mazelike world of dark souls 1 but it doesn't work as well in 2-d
wrong, hollow knight did it well, but hollow knight had a map
>>
Lack of map ruins the experience.
>>
>>376855985
I got lost at the Hall of Cages because I doubled back to return to previous areas and ended up in the Fort beyond the Mire. It got cleared up when I actually looked at a map and realized the island had more than 2 shores but I can see how that would fuck people up.
>>
>>376856961
Are we playing the same game? You put the shit you want in the list, and use them.
So you end up with like 3-4 items.
>>
>>376858253
Then you're limitting yourself a lot by only putting 1 or 2 prayers/incantations on the list.
>>
>>376859230
Do you need more? Why would you need more?
Even if you go overboard with buffs, all you do is to replace inventory items.
>>
I have 0 clue if I'm doing sequence-breaking or where else I'm supposed to go. Does that count?
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.