[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now the dust has settled, was Yooka-Laylee a success or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: yooka-steamspy.png (290KB, 514x429px) Image search: [Google]
yooka-steamspy.png
290KB, 514x429px
Now the dust has settled, was Yooka-Laylee a success or not?
>>
no it was pretty much a complete failure not selling outside of Kickstarter
>>
>>376830059
it was a success as soon as the kickstarter got funded.
>>
>>376830059
It reminded a bunch of people who dont like 3d platformers of why they didnt like 3d platformers. It also reminded us why the people who left rare and did not join another major company were unable to join another major company.
>>
>>376830059

I enjoyed it, it wasn't mighty number 9 I'd say that's good

Its got some flaws but its a good first effort for playtonic. Hopefully they improve in future efforts
>>
>>376830059
It's not even out yet my man
>>
>>376830059
If it weren't for Jon Tron being booted out of this game, no one on /v/ would talk about it.
>>
>>376830218
If they ever get another chance
>>
>>376830059
It could sell 0 copies and still not be a failure, kickstarter basically funded the game completely.
>>
File: 5.jpg (56KB, 446x360px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
56KB, 446x360px
>>376830059
>money Playtonic recieved in kickstarter funds: £2,090,104
>Money Playtonic had to pay from their own wallets to make the game: £0
you tell me
>>
>>376830282
people dont even care for jontron it was just a creepy virtue signaling stunt that blew up in their face
>>
>>376830297
Why not? The founders are rich as fuck (former Rare execs), the team is small, and Yooka sold solidly for a $40 indie game. Nothing unsustainable yet. It's performance is a bit disappointing given the hype, but not bad.

If the next couple of titles bomb, then maybe they'll be in trouble.
>>
>>376830321
after taxes, business costs and 20+ employees that doesnt leave much
>>
>>376830462
The rare founders arent involved. They actually made another gaming company for mobile shit but that crap didnt seem to take off
>>
>>376830297

Hopefully, I think they've still got good ideas, I think a lot of "forgetful" people just didn't realize how much 3D platformers have aged in design philosophy. If you still don't actively pop in Banjo or are into games from that era in terms of collecting or just retro play in general, it makes sense that you would forget and I get why some would be disappointed, the idea of a "nu banjo" was prettier than the outcome for many but I still think it was a generally good turn out

I guess we'll see where they go from here
>>
if they hadnt fucked over jon he would have shilled their game for free probably moving a ton of copies

betting on the neogaf audience and modern game devs to like their shit was head on retarded
>>
>>376830572
Not the Rare founders (the Stampers), but the people who started Playtonic are former high-ranking Rare execs who are as rich as fuck and could, if they wanted to, afford to fund vanity projects even if they aren't profitable.
>>
>>376830684
People are vastly overestimating how much he'd have helped the game
>>
>>376830572
Wasn't that just one of the stamper brothers? And the team was already established before he joined?
>>
It's okay, I guess? I really didn't feel the spark.
>>
>>376830764
not really he has millions of subs and his nuts and bolts video/gamegrumps kirk granthope interview centered a lot of the fans around him

this became really noticable during the backlash
>>
>>376830390
>blew up in their face
It was free publicity. And all publicity is good publicity.
Booting people for saying shit against the agenda of a corporation has always been a thing. Only because Jon Tron said something that resonates with /v/'s and /pol/'s echo chamber, has gotten him some attention.
>>
>>376830764
i was going to buy it until playtonic caved into crybullies.

jon probably wouldn't have helped it but pulling him from the game to soapbox about "diversity" sure as hell didn't help either.
>>
>>376831118
>And all publicity is good publicity.

Like when the subway guy was outed as a pedophile?
>>
>>376831118
>Booting people for saying shit against the agenda of a corporation has always been a thing

I dont know what mission you think playtonic is on but jontron did nothing to disturb anything
>>
>>376830059

The initial interest when the KS goal was reached was lost before release.

I Just don't feel this game.
>>
>>376831253
yes
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.