[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Doom 3's graphics age so fucking well?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: doom3.jpg (108KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
doom3.jpg
108KB, 1024x768px
I don't think any other 3D game looks so good and makes me feel nostalgic for shittier graphics. It's not just that it aged well, but it feels like it thrives in its limitations and is artistically valid in a way it wouldn't otherwise. There are very few games that do this. SMB3 comes to mind.
>>
they really didn't, it just looks like Halo 2 with better lighting, and with worse visual design/less colors/variety
>>
>>376791821
pc version maybe but on xbox it looks like absolute sewage
>>
The textures are now pretty fucking terrible looking it's only the lighting that has aged well.
>>
>>376791821
the riddick games have this. still look excellent.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (309KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
309KB, 1920x1080px
Good lighting makes a hell of a difference. Kind of sad we've regressed in lighting without actually progressing in any other area. Now we have blocky shadows that don't even render past 10 feet of your character.
>>
File: ff_oculusrift2_f.jpg (69KB, 400x464px) Image search: [Google]
ff_oculusrift2_f.jpg
69KB, 400x464px
Because id
All their games age well because they make the engine themselves and know their shit.
At least they did before Carmack left
>>
>turn off all the lights
>whoa wtf this game looks amazing
>>
>>376791821
Textures and lighting.

A lot of games from before the "we use a shit ton of post-processing effects to hide our bad textures, models and view distance" era still look good.
>>
>>376791821
You'll see this more and more since graphics haven't aged well, they just aren't advancing at all, thanks to consoles.
This is why denuvo is actually a big deal since when their servers crash and burn for whatever reason, any game thats still worth playing since its value is steady will be locked out.
>>
Lightning and good textures, and guess what, that's both of the most difficult things for the devs to do well because hardware restrictions and need of talent.

Check every game today. They're using lots of textures no better higher res than DOOM3 ones, just with higher polygon count and more of them, and less and less dynamic lightning because consoles shit themselves with it.
>>
New games do not use dynamic lightning in any way because it's demanding on hardware, so everything is prebaked and often left just like that.

Also the textures bumpmaps worked very well in DOOM 3. New games do not use those things because >Prebaked lightning

As a modeller, making textures to wrap up nicely is a pain in the ass.

>No big deal, up the polygon and apply a non-handmade texture on each piece and it will look just fine, no need to paint and wrap.
>OH BUT these high polygons are eating up a shitton of resources and lightning engine is going crazy on calculations. No big deal, pre bake lightning and forget dynamics and all that shit.

>Better off with a nice setpiece than an interactive room.
>>
>>376791821
I've never played Doom 3. It's not that I've had no interest in it, just that my backlog was ridiculous at the time when everyone was hype. So it sort of just passed me by. Was the game itself preddy gud, or was it all hype and no substance? I've had beef with the games of the time, when doing ANYTHING spawns hordes just behind you.
>>
File: 2015-09-15_00091.jpg (198KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-15_00091.jpg
198KB, 1920x1080px
>>376791889
>worse visual design
>less colors
>variety

You're wrong, but it's okay, not everyone is right all the time.
>>
>>376792707
most games are getting cracked even with Denuvo, it just takes more time to find some exploit for each game.
>>
Lighting in modern games is uniornically mid 00s tier because we regressed thanks to consoles shitting themselves with good real time lighting.
>>
>>376793000
Trips for truth.
Seriously, it's literally this.
A shitton of mostly photosourced textures (as in photos then just slapped on models, no hand painted textures these days for the most part) slapped on models that waste a metric fuckton of polygons on nothing and consoles that are too weak to handle all that shit + dynamic lighting on top which is also why there's no bump/parallax mapping these days, only speculars that fake bump, because you need a dynamic lighting source for bump/parallax to actually work.
I mean, sure there are occassional games with dynamic lighting but they are few and far between. Almost everything runs on prebaked lighting.
CoD and Battlefield still use prebaked lighting to this day for example which is why they're so "sterile".
And games like Witcher 3 have vastly simplified dynamic lighting from what was originally shown (2014 trailer) again because consoles shat themselves.
>>
>>376793959
>because consoles shat themselves.
This is kinda the truth behind all of this

There's no need if you're just going to do a setpiece. Sure the game is NOT going to break molds or push the industry forward but who cares, it's ok as it is to shoot ruskies.

What I dislike is that most games have gone into the super LAZY ZONE where the character doesn't even proyect shadow or proyects sun shadow INSIDE A HOUSE and stuff like that

>DaS3 does this
>All bioshocks have done this at varying points
>>
>>376791821

Carmacks magic, baby.
>>
>>376791821
IDs was showcasing their engine, wich is why doom3 as a game was pretty shit
>>
>>376794435
The problem is still only one.

FUCKING

CONSOLES

Seriously gaming would be better if consoles didn't exist.

Sure, games like Bloodborne, Halo, Zelda etc may never have gotten made in the first place without Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo funding them to sell their own platforms, but we'd certainly have different games in their place.

All the fucking politics and corporate faggotry is why games aren't art and won't be until they're freed from this shit.
>>
>>376791821
Because you can't see them most of the time.
Haha get it?? It's because the game is dark and you can't see shit for most of it
>>
>>376791821
>"nostalgic"

Opinion invalidated.
>>
>>376791821
its graphics sort of aged well but I don't agree with what you said.

pretty underrated game though I loved it
>>
>>376792391
Doom 3 used shadow volume, which looks nice and sharp, but it gets very taxing on the system the higher the polygon count is and probably wouldn't really be feasible in today's games.

Then again, they probably could use low-poly models for shadows only as it wouldn't be that noticable.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.