[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best videogame villain motives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 16

File: Kefka_Dissidia.png (853KB, 765x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Kefka_Dissidia.png
853KB, 765x1019px
What videogame villains had the best motives for what they did?
>>
File: Ur-Quan_Kzer-Za.gif (84KB, 485x213px) Image search: [Google]
Ur-Quan_Kzer-Za.gif
84KB, 485x213px
>Supervise less advanced species so as to lead them to an enlightened path where they won't threaten your species with enslavement (from which your entire species are suffering PTSD from due to their genetic memory), and altruistically defend your protectorates from your genocidal brothers because you value all life
>>
>>376789208
Kefka makes perfect sense and is simple yet interesting enough to keep you engaged, even without the "science made him crazy" thing that like one NPC says in a bar. So he is up there I guess.
Giegue/Giygas from MOTHER is another good one. He is attacking Earth because his race tells him to. He leaves because of the emotional connection to the place is too strong for him. Simple, interesting, memorable.
Sephiroth, on the other hand, is shit and to this day after learning and playing the game in nip I cannot understand what the flying fuck is going on with him. Like, Kefka is 'crazy' and so he believes everything but self-pleasure is pointless and goes out destroying everything because that's what he enjoys. He thinks about what what he does and comes to these conclusions because he's a madman. Sephiroth just does it because he's mad? But is he even aware of what he is doing? Kefla clearly is but I honestly can't tell if Seph is supposed to be or not.
>>
>Durr wut is pain, I don't ike this new feeling , I want everyone to feel this forever

Yeah I know it's existential pain because he was about to die. The snes translation just makes out like he's retarded
>>
>>376789208
the ones that are Intelligent, Nihilistic, and have a Wicked Sense of Humor
>>
File: grahf.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
grahf.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>376789208
Dead Waifu
>>
>>376789208
The best part about Kefka is that even though he embodies the >>376791250 meme, he manages to be a really fun character.
>>
File: images (13).jpg (17KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (13).jpg
17KB, 443x332px
Not really a villain but I guess it counts.
>>
File: CutInMain_0_09_00.000-0.png (201KB, 872x632px) Image search: [Google]
CutInMain_0_09_00.000-0.png
201KB, 872x632px
>>
>>376793305
This guy was a tragic villain. He was like an 1/8th cup of milk away from delicious pancakes.
>>
>>376789208
Y'know I legitimately used to like him, but then him becoming a meme killed him for me
>>
>>376790032
Sephiroth isn't main antagonists, since he's just a part of extraterrestial alien creature, which is source of all problems, learn the lore.
>>
>>376793549
Go clear your mind, replay the game, enjoy once again, never enter any FF threads.
>>
File: P5_Goro_cut-in_alternate.png (320KB, 1280x512px) Image search: [Google]
P5_Goro_cut-in_alternate.png
320KB, 1280x512px
>>376793383
PERSONALLY THRUST
>>
This is probably not a good place to post this but what the hell. I'm writing a story and I'm at the final act, and I want the final boss to be a twist.

So basically, the four protagonists chase down a mythical knight who turns out to have been acquiring some legendary sword, so they join him instead and spend ages fighting these monsters. The knight is injured early on, so the four protagonists fight more monsters in his stead. Later, they beat the (faux) final boss, the king of the monsters, but its body is so huge it takes ages to destroy. Suddenly, said king of monsters explodes because the knight's sword kills it instantly - the knight has returned, even more armoured and pissed than before. The knight's sword can also now control all the protagonist's weapons, and in fact, all weapons in the world.

How can I make that knight be the bad guy? How can being in control of all the weapons be twisted into a bad thing without it being a generic "he got angry" plot? Any ideas?
>>
Fucking 4chan pass users

This shit thread is weekly now
>>
>>376794245
Make him weapon trader, who just wanted to control world weapon market.
>>
>>376790032
Sephiroth is dead, that's what's going on with him. Did you not figure that out when Cloud handed the black materia over to his corpse?
>>
>>376794245
Without weapons to defend themselves, scores of towns across the land are razed by the Knight's private army
>>
File: 9_garland.jpg (285KB, 608x1000px) Image search: [Google]
9_garland.jpg
285KB, 608x1000px
Needs your world to bring back his. Simple as that.

>>376790032
Official sources contradict this, but FF7 works a lot better if you figure Jenova's instincts to be a planet parasite are still driving Sephiroth and he's just coming up with human rationalizations for them.
>>
>>376794350
What?
>>
>>376790032
Sephiroth couldn't handle the fact he was a test tube baby, simple as that
>>
>>376794245
Have players hear stories of him from NPCs as he grows slowly more evil and stuff for reasons.
>>
File: Seymour_Headshot.jpg (44KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
Seymour_Headshot.jpg
44KB, 650x366px
>>
>>376794692
There's no real need to even think that way.
From birth on he was told he was something better, that he was close to the Cetra. Then he learns that Jenova (which he has been told is his mother) was doing the thinfs it was doing, and then he wrongly connects that that's what all Cetra should do (who keep on being called nomads as well, the game even blatantly states that Seph interpreted them as interplanetary nomads). So he then wants to do what is normal for his race, travel the universe.

Humans try to conform to their culturally and individually learned ideals as well, it's the same for Seph.
>>
>>376793740
That makes either of them any better how exactly? Jenova is shit too because hurr durr it just wants to destroy the lifestream or whatever. It's evil for the sake of being evil and nothing more. It has no reason to do what it's doing.

Lavos was a better antagonist than Jenova. It's doing what it's doing because it's a parasite and all it wants to do is propagate. It's not doing anything out of malice for the world. It's doing it because that's how it survives. It lands on a planet, feeds off of it, and influences evolution and advancement of the planet to obtain more genetic material to evolve itself and fire off more spawn into the space so they can land on other planets and repeat the process. It was just the cycle of life. Jenova was just doing it because it was arbitrarily evil.
>>
>>376795242
>Jenova
>evil
That's like saying the flu bacteria are evil.

What Jenovas does, it does to survive. Jenova is literally the same as lavos, but in a "cute" body instead.
>>
File: Best boi.jpg (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Best boi.jpg
35KB, 1280x720px
Search your jimmies, you know it to be true.
>>
File: Image_43.png (310KB, 416x1481px) Image search: [Google]
Image_43.png
310KB, 416x1481px
>>376789208
He just wants Japanese people to fuck a bit more and have kids.
>>
>>376794245
Jade empire did something like this, the were pretty careful to give the bad guy a reason for why he needed you specifically instead of just doing his own dirty work and manipulating you into thinking he's a hero while giving enough clues to be able to see how full of shit he is if you know his true nature that you would otherwise ignore.
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1055

As for needing a reason for controlling all the weapons. I dunno, he wants control? Keep everyone safe and without armed conflict but only under the threat of his control over all the weapons? Cliche, but so is the whole concept.

>>376795242
Lavos and Jenova are both just planet eaters. Jenova isn't evil either. They're basically the same villain.
>>
>>376795557
Catherine doesn't even take place in Japan.
>>
File: Jenova headless.jpg (19KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Jenova headless.jpg
19KB, 320x320px
>>376795242
>It's doing what it's doing because it's a parasite and all it wants to do is propagate.
You mean the exact same thing that Jenova is doing?
>>
File: Zephiel_damaged.png (3MB, 1550x1749px) Image search: [Google]
Zephiel_damaged.png
3MB, 1550x1749px
I just want to remove corruptable leaders from power in my kingdom
>>
>>376789208
Kefka is shit tier. Golbez is best.
>>
>>376789208
>I did it because I'm damaged. I'm damaged. HEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Not him.
>>
>>376795938
>>376795578
>>376795336
At what point do they state that any of what Jenova is doing is necessary for it to survive? It crash landed on Gaia and just up and started killing shit with no reasoning given for it. It's not doing anything for the sake of survival. It's doing it for the sake of destruction. The wiki for the series doesn't even mention jack shit about propagation. It just infects shit with its cells more or less for the fuck of it and those same cells eventually attempt to rejoin the host body. It doesn't spread to reproduce. It's spreads to kill and then tries to reunite. It's arbitrary destruction.

Lavos's method of reproduction may be somewhat convoluted but it's at least worked out into a life cycle of harvest, reproduce, repeat. Jenova doesn't have that and only lives to destroy.
>>
>>376794245
How about not making a pointless twist for the sake of it? I'm sure you can make better than "he was the bad guy all along!".
>>
>>376796271
Jenova drains a planet's energy and moves on to the next. Not hard to assume that might just be what it does to eat.
>>
>>376796242
But that's not why Kefka did things.
He did it because he saw no point in life and didn't understand why people cared about it, and he could only find joy in destruction. He's angry, sad and evil, not crazy.
>>
File: Vps-lezard-valeth.jpg (90KB, 770x900px) Image search: [Google]
Vps-lezard-valeth.jpg
90KB, 770x900px
>>376789208
Pussy.
>>
File: Jenova-ffvii-synthesis.png (75KB, 815x422px) Image search: [Google]
Jenova-ffvii-synthesis.png
75KB, 815x422px
>>376796271
If absolutely no motives are given for Jenova then you can't deny that it's doing it for survival and declare it's doing if for destruction's sake.
>>
>>376794245
Question: Why does he need to be the bad guy?
>>
>>376789208
>tfw have the same feelings as Kefka but instead of only finding joy in destruction I just immerse myself in mindless hobbies, and am incapable of seeing life as having any value.
>Also not intelligent or have a wicked sense of humor.

Its not like I just one day decided life is worthless or anything, I just can't see it like that. It'd be like asking a blind from birth person to describe color.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.