[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is BotW really the third hardest Zelda game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 26

File: BOTW-Share_icon[1].jpg (237KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
BOTW-Share_icon[1].jpg
237KB, 1200x630px
https://www.gamefaqs.com/search?platform=0&game=legend+of+zelda&contrib=0&rating=0&genre=0&region=0&date=0&developer=&publisher=&dist=0&sort=11&link=0&res=3&title=0&adv=1
>>
>>376788916
It's not a high bar to reach. Zelda games are pathetically easy, especially starting from Wind Waker.

BOTW has a reverse difficulty curve where it gets easier the more you play.
>>
>>376789152
so it's tougher than majora's mask and the oracles games?
>>
>>376789789
at the beginning, yeah.
>>
>>376789789
I'd say so yes. But no doubt there will be the uber leet sqaud along soon to.tell you that every Zelda game is easy as fuck.
>>
>>376789789
yes, link gets one shotted by everything until the player learns to exploit food
>>
>>376790051
Every Zelda game IS easy as fuck aside from Zelda 2.
>>
>>376788916
>gamefaqs

In any case, BotW starts hard but becomes a cakewalk after the first ten hours or so. It's probably the hardest 3D Zelda but that's not saying much. It's not harder than the 2D games though (unless you consider PH and ST 2D).
>>
>>376788916
The 2D games are all more difficult than BOTW
>>
>>376788916
If you're not a veteran it can be pretty hard.

I'm assuming it'll raise a generation of pretty chill kids in a few years.
>>
>>376788916
It is I guess until you realize how awful the healing system is. How it should have been is
>food is still infinite but you first need to hold the food before eating it and there is an animation. Eating too much causes Link to get sick
>Potions now have a limited inventory space, you need to first hold them to use them but unlike food they have a much smaller/next to no animation when using them
Menu healing is a bad mechanic and needs to leave period.
>>
>>376790330
even minish cap?
>>
>>376790409
saving anywhere is also an issue, limit it to either an inn, bed, or fireplace
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
>>376790409
>the game is easy as fuck
>the game is so easy that I'm in constant danger of dying and have to keep replenishing my health during combat.
>>
>>376788916
At the begining if you go in blind its fairly difficult.

After every dungeon it gets eaiser as you have more abilities and HP. Id say its the hardest Zelda outside of the NES games. That doesnt mean its as hard as other things ive played though
>>
>>376790597
>get hit by enemy
>go into menu and spam food until your health is full
>repeat ad nauseam

This shit is not difficult. Difficult would either be dying or at least having to play more conservatively/carefully. Good games already figured out that healing-by-menu is trash and that it's much more engaging to have real-time healing.
>>
windwakerpuzzle.webm
>>
>>376791301
You ever heard of "imagination'? The menu healing is there for kiddos who can't beat the game otherwise. Are you a kiddo?
>>
>>376791430
>we sacrificed good game design because think of the children!

You realize that Skyward Sword had real-time healing right? This is not even a new concept to Zelda. My guess is the only reason BotW didn't carry over that system is because originally all the menus were on the gamepad but were cut out when it became a multiplat for the Switch.
>>
File: 1492747035950.jpg (59KB, 701x701px) Image search: [Google]
1492747035950.jpg
59KB, 701x701px
>>376791301
If it's so easy, why do you need to constantly replenish your health?

If it's so easy, why can't you just blast through without taking damage?

(Nintendo put an optional safety net in the game to a) encourage players to experiment with cooking to see what kind of special attributes they can gain and b) stop the player from becoming frustrated. People will literally complain about anything. Based Nintendo. :^) )
>>
>>376791430
>b-b-buh doesn't count
>>
>>376788916
After the first two games, I would say so.
>>
>>376791689

Some insane mental gymnastics to convince yourself the game is difficult. You people defend this game religiously.
>>
File: doubt.jpg (16KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.jpg
16KB, 200x303px
>>376791689
>central game mechanic
>optional safety net

The level you drones will go to defend BotW, jesus christ. Are you gonna be here saying the same shit a year from now? Because at some point it would be nice to have an honest discussion about this game without having to worry about dealing with your delusional bullshit.
>>
>>376790330
The 2D games are just as easy as the 3D ones unless you're a massive scrub. The only hard one is Zelda 2, and Zelda 1 if you don't know where to go.
>>
>>376791810
Difficulty doesn't just mean death. You are using a safety net to get through it, it means it is challenging you. How is that hard to understand?
>>
>>376791810
Theres nothing insane about it. How can you cite that the game is easy as long as you keep replenishing your health because you're in constant danger of dying?

Do you realise how stupid you are? It's genuinely embarrassing that people will make up the most retarded nonsense because they desperately want to find a fault with the game.
>>
>>376791887
>when will people align with my own opinons?
A central mechanic doesn't mean it's not a safety net. It's like in demon souls where you can stock up on healing grasses and never die. The game is still difficult though.

You understand how?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (20KB, 400x420px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
20KB, 400x420px
It's less "difficult" and more "lacking balance", compared to previous entries where enemies would do 1-2/4ths of your hearts with hits, BotW has plenty of fuckers who bring your health down from max to just 1/4 of one heart left and one shot you if you don't have full health unless you grind to get 8+ hearts
After that, combat has the depth of a puddle and dungeons are so short that game overs become more of an inconvenience and you'll be worried more about your weapon's durability than health
>>
>>376792002
You have no idea what difficult means. The game is not difficult if you can breeze through it by playing normally. Wind Waker doesn't suddenly become a difficult game just because you can technically ignore the heart containers and do a three-heart run. That is a player-induced limitation, you are intentionally crippling yourself for a self-imposed challenge, the game didn't inherently become more difficult. And DeS's grass spamming is a big problem with that game and it's the reason the estus system exists. But at least with DeS you could just go through the levels normally and not farm 1-1, and there are still some points that will be difficult no matter how much grass you have. In any case it's definitely one of the easier Souls games and using its flawed as fuck grass mechanic as a positive example is monumentally retarded.
>>
File: B2U0poB.jpg (102KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
B2U0poB.jpg
102KB, 1200x675px
At the beginning it is, but once you grind out your armor and the materials needed it's a piece of cake. Even Lynels aren't that much daunting.
>>
>>376792228
>using a flawed game as a comparison
No, I am using a difficult game as a comparison because it's quite literally the same. You are not gimping yourself or not playing normally by trying to cook food at every opportunity, just like you are not playing normally by farming grasses
>>
>>376791689
>If it's so easy, why can't you just blast through without taking damage?

Because there's no point when you can just menuheal and mash the attack button.
>>
>>376792410
Even end game is more difficult than all the 3D zeldas though
>>
>>376792418
What are you even trying to say anymore? Do you even understand my posts? It's like I'm talking to a brick wall. Difficult is not a buzzword you can just throw around. I already explained why your DeS comparison doesn't work.
>>
>>376792429
So that means it is causing you to be on the brink of death many times, and you would have died without spamming food?
>>
>>376788916

Enemies are more aggressive, can deal a ton of damage, and you get hit a lot, which is appreciated, but having so much food to heal and getting high defense trivializes that. It's mostly hard in the beginning and it gets easier and easier. You need to impose challenges on yourself.
>>
>>376792535
It does work. Your argument is pretty shit. You say you can go through levels normally and not farm in DeS, you can do the same in breath of the wild. Food items, especially good food items, require you to go out of your way to obtain them (by cooking etc.) And I disagree with the difficult levels even with grass, and you end up with the exact same situation in BotW where you can just out heal the opponents. At the end of the day, the game is still considered hard.

So yes, the comparison works
>>
>>376788916
Link dies really quickly early on. There's a reason that the game gives you Fairies and Mipha's Grace super early.
>>
>>376792418

Breath of the Wild is a cakewalk even if you don't healspam all the time. It starts out tougher than expected because enemies often one-shot you, but once you get into the 8-10+ heart range it's smooth sailing. Bosses go down on the first try with nothing more than a modest effort, you can fight enemies on autopilot without trouble, and everything is clearly telegraphed to you to avoid the chance of having you slip up. It's nothing like Demons/Dark Souls. Day and night comparison here.
>>
>>376791996
>>376791917

There's no discussing it with you guys, you people are sad. Is Half Life 2 the hardest game in the world because I don't pick up medpacks? By your retarded qualification of difficulty, every game ever has the potential to be incredibly difficult if you ignore any mechanic designed to help the player because they're "safety nets." There's a difference between a game whose mechanics are wholly directed towards creating a difficult experience and a game where difficult comes from ignoring the chunks of its design.
>>
>>376792667
>Mipha's Grace super early.
you do the dungeons in whatever order you want dumbo
>>
>>376791689
>If it's so easy, why do you need to constantly replenish your health?
So he doesn't die, dummy.
>If it's so easy, why can't you just blast through without taking damage?
Because "blasting through" and playing like an idiot is going to get him killed.
Ignoring a core part of the game, eating food for buffs and healing, doesn't make the game hard; it makes you an idiot for ignoring it.

Preemptively rebuking an attempt at some dumb rhetorical question like "does that mean Devil May Cry is easy because you can use healing items". It would make DMC easy, however unlike BOTW where you are virtually tripping over a shitload of food items in general play, you have to go out of your way to grind some orbs to buy a small stock of healing items in DMC.

Gathering food items requires zero effort or challenge besides time to find them, DMC requires you to fight shit for currency to buy them.
Healing yourself in BOTW also incurs no penalty and is even encouraged, DMC causes your mission score and reward to suffer when you use even a single healing item.
>>
>>376790172
>>376791914
>Zelda 2 is hard maymay

This is why we can't discuss games on /v/
>>
File: 1492862947126.jpg (74KB, 400x560px) Image search: [Google]
1492862947126.jpg
74KB, 400x560px
>>376791887
>central game mechanic

You do not have to use food at any point in the game if you don't want to.

Want to replenish your health? Stay at an inn, complete a shrine, find a healing pond.

Want to survive in the cold? Put on some warm clothes, or equip a flame weapon, or light a torch and carry it.

The game offers up multiple solutions to the player. You can pick a play style which suits how you want to play. The amount of freedom on offer to the player is impressive.

Nintendo aren't making a game to satisfy your deluded need for insane hardcore brutal difficulty. How many complaints would there be from the gaming public if they were constantly killed in battle. Frustration would turn players off. The fact you can heal yourself with food (IF YOU WANT TO) is a safety net, but only for those who took the time to forage for food and prepare meals, otherwise you'll be spamming 50 apples like the retarded faggot you are.

Cry some more and let's see what other desperate 'fault' you can find with the game.
>>
>>376792653
>Food items, especially good food items, require you to go out of your way to obtain them

No they don't. And cooking sure as shit does not require you to "go out of your way", there are pots everywhere. You have a very skewed perception of what playing normally is. Going through DeS's 1-1 over and over again to farm grass is not playing normally. Cooking food when you encounter a pot is playing the game normally and exactly what Nintendo would expect every player to do, and not using the cooking system is a self-imposed limitation in the same way that not collecting heart containers is. Maybe your argument would work if you had to cheese the game by farming truffles or something, but you don't. You can just cook whatever you find through your travels and be perfectly fine.

And we're not even talking about all the other mechanics in BotW that make the game trivial, like flurry rush, parrying, armor upgrades, and the fact that the poor enemy variety means that you'll be well-acquainted with their patterns after only a few hours, but I guess you would consider all of that "optional". In Demon Souls there's things like level design, deliberate enemy placement, traps, shit that challenges the player in SPITE of the flawed grass mechanic, BotW doesn't have any of that.
>>
>>376792863
>Healing yourself in BOTW also incurs no penalty and is even encouraged

This is another important factor. In games like Dark Souls healing at all can be extremely risky if you're in the thick of battle, and any degree of greed and/or heal-spamming is summarily punished. BotW is designed to make healing as accommodating and player-friendly as possible.
>>
>>376788916
Maybe fourth. I did die a lot, and I actually wanted heart containers early on, which hasn't been the case for a long time.

Also most of the bosses had retard moments for me, so the game had a few "puzzles" that stumped me for a while.

I'd say it goes
1. Zelda 2
2. LoZ
3. Oracle of Ages
4. BotW
>>
>>376792759
No because in Half Life you HAVE to pick up the medipacks. Try harder.
>>
>>376793010
>Nintendo aren't making a game to satisfy your deluded need for insane hardcore brutal difficulty. How many complaints would there be from the gaming public if they were constantly killed in battle.

At least you're willing to concede the argument that BotW is hard.
>>
>>376793010
is that image a picture of you?
>>
>>376792538
the point is, you CAN freeze the game at any time, heal infinitely in menu and then keep going, and there are several foods made from a single ingredient that heal all hearts and give yellow hearts on top, there is no point in dodging all the damage

if they made the food inventory a lot smaller, and I mean a lot, like 10 items instead of 3 pages full, that would actually make you consider what enemies you better avoid and to git gud with dodging and parrying, I hope they do something like that in that hard mode dlc, instead of just giving all enemies double hp and damage. food inventory is literally the biggest flaw in this game's difficulty design and if they don't work on that it won't make the game harder, just more tedious
>>
>>376793013
Exactly, cooking food when you encounter a pot will not cause you to be overstocked. You will have to do it again and again for you to be able to power through by spamming. That is not normal

For the flurry rush and parry part I agree, but I am not arguing about that part. I am arguing about the spam healing part. I am not claiming BotW is a difficult game on par with demon's souls, I am claiming that anon that I replied to is getting challenged by the game, and the choice to farm healing items does not make a game easier
>>
>>376793091
I never said the game was hard. I'm just laughing at the morons who complain the game is easy - but only if they keep healing themselves, otherwise they'd be staring at a GAME OVER screen.
>>
>>376793156
Not an argument.
>>
>>376793281
>You will have to do it again and again for you to be able to power through by spamming

No? You don't have to "spam". There's no farming involved. You just cook your food and move on. You seem to be confused about how plentiful food is in BotW. You don't have to go out of your way to have a lot of food. It's very easy. Hell even Hyrule Castle has that one room which is chock full of food and a cooking pot which is Nintendo's way of screaming to the player "COOK THIS SHIT BECAUSE YOU'LL BE FIGHTING GANON SOON WINK WINK".

>I am not claiming BotW is a difficult game on par with demon's souls

backpedaling as FUCK
>>
>>376793339
>the game is difficult if you don't use this highly advertised mechanic that Nintendo clearly wants you to use and is shoved in your face at every opportunity

Not much of an argument to refute m8.
>>
>>376793010
It's retarded to consider player-side limitations when talking about the difficulty of a game
>>
Oh God. Which of you fuckers were the ones arguing about which Link could beat which other Link last night. I know you idiots are here, the wording of your posts are too similar.
>>
>>376793628
Nintendo want to make a satisfying game experience that will appeal to a wide audience.

Not everyone is super awesome at gaming. Being able to use food to provides a safety net for those who need it (and want it) otherwisee frustration would set in and put players off.

But it's optional. If you're so good and the game is so easy to you, then you shouldn't need it.

>B-but central game mechanic. Nintendo made this system that I m-must use!

It just makes you sound a like a desperate whiney faggot.

The food system pretty cool. But it's entirely optional too. Your argument is ridiculous.
>>
>>376793859
Explain.
>>
>>376794005
Any game can be difficult if you yourself make it difficult.
>>
File: oberstein.jpg (124KB, 1273x951px) Image search: [Google]
oberstein.jpg
124KB, 1273x951px
>>376793945
I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not. That says more about how delusional BotW defenders can get than it does about you, though.

>inb4 not an argument

how the fuck am I supposed to argue with someone who unironically says shit like
>a satisfying game experience that will appeal to a wide audience
and thinks that's at all convincing? it's not worth the energy, especially when there's a good chance you're being facetious
>>
File: 200.gif (389KB, 301x200px) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
389KB, 301x200px
>The game is too easy!
>I have to constantly heal myself so I don't die!
>It's too easy!
>*spams 30 raw fruit*
>>
>>376793470
>back pedaling
What? I never once said or implied that. I am saying that demon souls is hard even with the healing spam, and thus healing spam does not really detract much from the challenge. You are searching for things I did not say.

Note this is a reply to the anon claiming the game is easy although he is forced to spam heal or he would be dead.

>>376794170
Hs right though, the food system is a safety net, meant to allow normies to play the game. Calling someone delusional does not help your argument
>>
>>376794221
A games mechanics making it easy to complete the game mean the game is easy.
>>
>>376793470
That anon I am talking about says he just spam heals through everything, though.
>>
>>376794113
I know right? It's almost like Nintendo made a mass appealing game with an incredible amount of player freedom to play as they choose.
>>
>>376792775
Are you just going to ignore the fact that Vah Ruta is most people's first one? How it's super close to Kakariko and Hateno? How the game gently pushes you toward it with all of those Zora out searching for a Hylian? The weapons that you find around Zora's Domain are weak too, it's clearly intended to be the first one. (Zora Sword had 15 damage, what the fuck)
>>
>>376794221
If in Dark Souls (I have to use a "difficult" game casuals know about so you don't get confused) you had 100 estus flasks that you collected by randomly picking them off the ground, and then could pause the game and drink them whenever your health got low, it would not be a difficult game. I don't know why this is such a hard concept for you to grasp.
>>
>>376794298
>let me abuse a mechanic
>OMG WHY IS THE GAME SO EASY???!!
Bet you summon in dark souls and brag about beating bosses without swinging your weapon too
>>
>>376794320
Just because you can make a game difficult through your choices doesn't mean it's a hard game.

I can choose to not pick up any powerups in Super Mario World and it would be harder. That doesn't mean the game itself is hard.
>>
>>376794341
You never get that many healing items in BotW unless you are farming them. Shit like apples heal a pathetic amount of health
>>
>>376794464
Picking up shit you find on the ground during your journey and then turning it into meals when you get the opportunity is not "farming" no matter how many times you say it is.
>>
>all these autists arguing
CAN WE JUST AGREE THAT BOTW IS THE HARDEST 3D ZELDA? IT GETS EASIER AS YOU GO BUT THE BEGINNING IS THE HARDEST 3D ZELDA EXPERIENCE YOU'LL EVER GET AND EVEN AT ITS EASIEST IT IS STILL ON PAR WITH OTHER 3D ZELDAS
>>
>>376794464
There are healing items literally everywhere. Without farming, just picking thing up, you will have hundreds of healing items by the end of the game.
>>
>>376794525
>100 healing items, each that can heal 1/3 of your health
>totes not farming, though!
Yeah nah. Just because you say it's not doesn't mean it's not. You can enjoy staring at link cook but others don't.
>>
>>376794532
But then if we actually talk about why it's actually hard at the beginning, then the game will look even worse, it's better this way. I don't want to break their hearts.
>>
>>376794532
Yes it is.
>>
>>376794582
That's considering you never use them, and the items you pick up even heal a good amount of health.
>>
>>376794614

How will it make the game look worse?
Why would people be upset?
Sounds like an awful lot of projection here
>>
>>376794601
>>totes not farming, though!
It's really not. If you actually played and explored the game that is. Did you just run from dungeon to dungeon without stopping to explore? Did you use a walkthrough by chance?
>>
>>376794464
You don't have to farm shit all. The game throws hearty ingredients at you everywhere you go, and you only need to cook one of them for a full heal. It's an easy game, specifically BECAUSE of the menu healing.
>>
>>376794601
It doesn't have to be literally 100, that's hyperbole, it just has to be enough to get you through every encounter without issue, to the point where the game lacks challenge. Also
>1/3 of your health
I have a feeling this whole argument stems from your ignorance of how the cooking system actually works. You can stack up on full heals (plus bonus hearts) very easily.
>>
>>376794648
Hundreds. Plural. And yeah, if you cook one durian or radish, they heal you fully.
>>
>>376794601
Farming means deliberately spending an unusual amount of time to acquire a specific thing
Throwing whatever items you pick up natively during your journey in the nearest cooking pot is not farming
Stop trying to redefine terms that have been used for decades just to make your argument work
>>
>>376794695
The early game is only difficult because of your lack of good weapons and the deliberately inflated damage numbers. The enemy patterns, placement, AI, etc are not challenging.
>>
>>376794841

Yeah, so? I don't see how that will make people upset. Inflated damage numbers is one of the only ways to make difficult games.
>>
>>376794532
>EVEN AT ITS EASIEST IT IS STILL ON PAR WITH OTHER 3D ZELDAS

Even then, at least the danger is there. Mipha's Grace, fairies and whatever food you have will keep you from dying, but at least enemies will still be able to hit you and take away a decent chunk of health.
>>
File: time to leave.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
time to leave.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
>>376794978
>Inflated damage numbers is one of the only ways to make difficult games.

Why do you pretend to be an authority on a medium you know nothing about?
>>
>>376794841
I don't get why people point inflated damage as a bad thing, really. If bosses in souls do pathetically small damage they would be a cakewalk. Inflating numbers is the only way to make games difficult. Even the best AI cannot make up for shit damage output

Prove me wrong
>>
>>376794978
No, it's the one way shit devs do it because they're talentless hacks.
Actually difficult games have challenging enemy move pools and encounters. Neither of which BoTW has. Hell, even Link has a shit move pool.
>>
>>376794841
Everyone knew this already
>>
>>376795047

Why are you doing the same?

Point to me 1 (ONE) difficult game without high damage done to the player once they are hit. Hard games are punishing, and you can't punish with a pat on the back
>>
>>376795084
>challenging enemy move pools and encounters
All which deal great damage to the player. What's your point? All devs are talentless hacks according to you. As I said, even the best moveset is worthless in difficulty if it does shit damage
>>
>>376795075
Damage has to be done with good AI

Souls has bossfights with interesting and varied moveset that kill you because you screw up and take damage

BoTW has enemies that have 2 different moves so they have to OHKO you because they'll probably never hit you more than once
>>
>>376793278

They have revealed what harde mode is and unfortunately it does not address the way healing works, unless they haven't revealed all the details, which I doubt. Enemies now gradually heal their HP and every enemy is one rank higher, and now enemies can go beyond silver rank, so overall they'll be doing more damage. I think the simplest self-imposed challenge is not healing in the middle of a fight.
>>
>>376795084
Plenty of souls bosses have attacks that don't do much damage, but they're part of a combo that if it hits you fully takes off a large chunk, taking skill to move away at the right times.
"Boohoo that recolored bokoblin hit me once with his easy to predict attack with an hour long windup and my sword shattered before I could do any damage" is not difficulty.
>>
File: 1490207198641.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1490207198641.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>376794341
>WHY ISN'T IT DARK SOULS?
>I BEAT DARK SOULS IT'S SO HARD I'M A GAMER EVERY GAME SHOULD BE LIKE DARK SOULS
>>
>>376795286
meant for
>>376795075
>>
>>376795143
Enemy placement, aggressive AI, complex patterns, deliberate level design, do I have to keep going? You need to play more games.

>>376795205
Nice generalizations. Of course enemies shouldn't do 1 damage per hit if they want the game to be difficult if but there's a LOT more to difficulty than just stats. Difference with BotW is that once you beat your first Lynel, the difficulty plummets, because there is nothing left to challenge the player. The lack of enemy variety or good combat design in general hurts the game.
>>
>>376795232
The game actually becomes fun and 10x more comfy if you only heal by sleeping at an inn and never fast travel.
You actually have a reason to use a horse, and putting the controller down and grabbing a cup of coffee while watching your horse gallop through Hyrule, automatically following roads is a pretty relaxing experience
>>
>>376795354
You sound like a lazy cuck.
>>
>>376795353
Give me a GAME that does the above while doing shit damage to the player and is difficult

There is literally no game that can accomplish that, ever
>>
>>376795342
You know that Dark Souls is far from the only game to have real-time healing right? You know Skyward Sword had real-time potion drinking right? This is not some mind-blowing invention that Nintendo is incapable of grasping.
>>
>>376795286
>souls bosses
>don't do much damage
Nah, they at least do 1/10 of your health, even if they are the start of a combo.
>>
>>376788916
It can be pretty tricky until you get some momentum going with upgrading your health and stamina. Then it gets easier as you learn to not charge at certain enemies like an asshole and get better equipment.
>>
>>376795342
Nobody is saying that you autist. Dumbasses in this thread are saying BoTW is hard, we're merely using Souls as a comparison for a hard game.

BoTW = risk free unlimited healing at any time

BoTW is NOT a hard game unless you self-imposed challenges onto yourself. Which means it's not a hard game.
>>
File: punch.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
punch.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>b-but you can spam food!

Why do you people act like the enemies can't one-shot you even with a few upgraded hearts?

Plus having food doesn't ensure victory, curing myself while fighting a silver lynel, like, 20 hours in didn't help me kill it any faster because i didn't have advanced enough gear
>But if you get good at the game it's easier!
No shit
>>
>>376795421
You're missing the point that even if BoTW enemies can take you out in one hit, they're still incredibly easy to defeat, provided you have enough weapons to waste. Which honestly shows how unskilled the combat is that your only restriction is your weapons arbitrarily breaking on you.
It's easy to not take damage on them because they're not challenging fights. Severe damage alone does not a hard game make.
>>
File: 1305958165456.jpg (17KB, 365x385px) Image search: [Google]
1305958165456.jpg
17KB, 365x385px
What's the best voice language to listen to other than japanese?

The few seconds of Zelda's shit voice acting was enough for me to decide to pick something else.
>>
>>376795417
Well I don't think it's any more lazy than clicking on the "skip the journey" button to fast travel to wherever you want, but whatever.
>>
>>376795421
>while doing shit damage

Are you just ignoring my posts now or what? Trying to corner me with strawmen?
see:
>Of course enemies shouldn't do 1 damage per hit if they want the game to be difficult if but there's a LOT more to difficulty than just stats

Play pretty much any action game like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Rising, etc on Normal. The enemies do about average damage but they're a lot more aggressive than anything in BotW, and the games are overall way more challenging than BotW. Their higher difficulties do increase enemy damage but also VERY IMPORTANTLY change enemy placement, behavior, and even the core gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>376795494
>1/10 of your health is a lot
>>
Why did they do shrines instead of heaps of dungeons?
>>
>>376795590
Yeah no shit, I'm not talking about BotW, but games as a whole. Can any game be difficult if the enemies or hazards don't deal tons of damage?
>>
>>376795610
>Implying watching a horse gallop by itself for 5 minutes is any better.
It's a glorified loading screen, retard. At least drive the damn horse yourself.
>>
>>376795602
Italian was great, but it's my language so i guess I'm biased. I can't see myself playing in any language that i don't understand, except for Japanese because it's the original
>>
>>376791430
>much self-imposed challenge
>>
>>376795637
>DMC, Bayonetta and MGR on normal
>hard
No way, the games are a cakewalk on normal
>>
>>376795675
Why the fuck are you even in a BoTW thread, then?
And yeas, if the enemies are aggressive or numerous enough. They can do shit damage, but if there's 50 of them with 30 attacking at the same time from all sides, you're still gonna have a hard time.
>>
>>376789152
>BOTW has a reverse difficulty curve where it gets easier the more you play.

The Witcher 3 did this too. I hate it.
>>
File: 1491895871335.jpg (459KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491895871335.jpg
459KB, 1280x720px
>>376795530
I don't understand your frustration with the food mechanic in botw. If you actually think the game is easy then you would never have to heal in the first place. I ate food to heal at most 10 times in the whole game mostly when running from the guardian on the way to goron city before I knew about parrying. Once I learned how to defeat guardians my food inventory only had cold resistance potions in it so I could use different gear on mountains.

If you REALLY want to complain about a mechanic that makes the game easy, then blame flurry attacks. Even then if you truly think the game is easy you will never use flurry on lynels because that just wastes weapons. All you have to do is headshot them, switch to your strongest weapon and mount attack. Repeat forever for zero durability loss except on the bow which you get back from the lynel anyway.
>>
>>376795743
You know this is a thread talking about BotW right? As in those games are being compared to BotW?
>>
>>376795863
I think you replied to the wrong person.
>>
>>376795421
You're an idiot.

High damage ON ITS OWN is shit difficulty. Nobody is saying high damage is shit, but when it's the only form of "difficulty" you put in your game, you're a shit designer

>>376795548
Link can't even be one-shotted from full health, even with 3 hearts.
Just another reason the game is easy. You can get bitch-slapped by a silver Lynel and survive with 1/4 heart out of 3 hearts from an attack thats supposed to deal 13 hearts of damage. And then just pause and eat some food while Link ragdolls on the ground with 3 seconds of invincibility
>>
>>376795868
Didn't know there was such a rule, huh.
>>
>>376795863

flurry has 0 degradation
>>
>>376795956
Oh come on have you even played the game? Have you never broken a weapon mid flurry?
>>
>>376795956
You are flat-out wrong
>>
>>376795868
Didn't know there was such a rule, huh. >>376795868
I'm not even comparing them to BOTW, I am talking about games as a whole. BOTW is easy, everyone knows. I am talking about why inflated damage is not a bad thing and that a game CANNOT be hard without large damage being done to the player
>>
File: 1491868048863.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1491868048863.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>376795916
Sorry I did, I was replying to someone who I'm guessing is the OP.
>>
>>376795660
Because they include the devine beasts as 'dungeons'.

Because they made conscious descision NOT to rely on the usual staples of the series and break the conventions.

Because they wanted to give an incentive to explore.

Because they knew the game would essentially be on handheld platform, so having small bitesized mini dungeons is more paletable with the sort of start/stop play which handheld games encourage.

Because Nintendo can into game design.
>>
>>376795934
Except I never talked about high damage on its own. I am saying that a game can have everything but no high damage and it will never be difficult, which is objectively true
>>
>>376796017
>>376795934
>>
>>376796017
I've played plenty of hard puzzle games that didn't damage the player character at all.
>>
>>376789152
>>376795843
A lot of RPGs get easier the more you play.
>>
>>376796085
>>376796094
And that's why inflated damage is not a bad thing
>>
File: 1493626431412.png (471KB, 1100x1142px) Image search: [Google]
1493626431412.png
471KB, 1100x1142px
>>376795934
You definitely can be 1 shot from full HP. I made the mistake of farming for the shiekah set and only had that as my gear for a good portion of the game. The first lynel near zora one shot me with every single hit so I was never able to heal. I had to fight it and defeat it without taking a single hit. Took me a good amount of tries but damn did it feel good when I finally got it.

I'm not actually sure if it was because I was wearing the shiekah set, but I've seen other people not get one-shot from full health wearing things like the knight set, but I always died.
>>
It's another 'lets make up some desperate bullshit to try and find a flaw with BotW' thread.
>>
>>376796026
It was pretty exciting to see Nintendo breaking conventions with such a well established franchise. Especially after they discovered even more ways to make new 2D Marios less exciting than ever.
It makes me think they may have un-fucked themselves at some point in the past five years.
>>
>>376796106
Besides puzzle games, because that's an entirely different genre to action. "inlfated damage" in puzzle games are cryptic hints, so in that case do you agree inlfated damage is a bad thing?
>>
>>376788916
Easily, and not because BotW is hard, but because every other Zelda game is fucking hilariously easy. This is coming from someone who loves the series, but thank god they fixed that shit.

Ganondorf, the final boss of Twilight Princess, takes away ONE QUARTER OF A HEART when he hits you. How the fuck do you die to that?
>>
>>376796143
You don't actually need to fight that zora. It leaves enough arrows embedded in trees for you to just stealth around it and collect them.
>>
>>376796160
A game being easy might not be a flaw, though. Just admit BotW IS easy
>>
File: 1314143529473.png (103KB, 279x265px) Image search: [Google]
1314143529473.png
103KB, 279x265px
>>376796160
It's another 'let's deny BoTW has flaws and pretend it's a perfect game' thread.
>>
>>376796026
I miss elemental themed dungeons. I don't even miss dungeon items, I just miss
>Dungeon with lava and fire
>Dungeon with Ice and slippery floor block puzzles
>Dungeon with water and adjusting water levels
I liked the themed gimmicky dungeons. We get a semblance of them in the overworld but it's not the same
>>
>>376795956
I've broken tons of weapons during flurry attacks.
>>
>>376796223
Yea I knew that. But I took it as a challenge from nintendo so I stayed until I killed it. It might be that nintendo designed that specific lynel to one-shot you to persuade you to stealth and avoid now that I think about it.
>>
>>376796250
>being a certain difficulty level is a flaw
>>
>>376796160
The game does have flaws. It's still amazing.

The game isn't overly difficult. This isn't a flaw.
>>
>>376794841
>>376794695
>The early game is only difficult because of your lack of good weapons and the deliberately inflated damage numbers. The enemy patterns, placement, AI, etc are not challenging.
>>376794978
>>376794841
>Yeah, so? I don't see how that will make people upset. Inflated damage numbers is one of the only ways to make difficult games.

Start of this whole chain was you saying it was okay to have shit for difficulty beyond high damage, and now you're going around acting like people were saying games SHOULDN'T have high damage at all, when all anyone was saying that high damage on its own is not a substitute for difficulty
>>
>>376796246
Honestly, I find this argument pretty interesting. All my friends play videogames, but some more than others and some are just better at games too. We all found the game to be extremely hard at the beginning. Fighting more than 1 enemy at a time usually meant death and not understanding the dodge mechanic also meant death. However friends who were exceptionally good at games learned battle mechanics which made the game significantly easier. The ones who were only "ok" at games (casuals) found the game difficult the whole way through.

So the way I see it is that people who sit in their basement andplay games all day long will find botw very easy after learning the battle system and others will find it hard throughout.
>>
>>376796447

Oh fuck, then it was a misunderstanding all around. No wonder you sound so pissy. I just singled out inflated damage, that's all, and argued about how it is a essential component to making games difficult, nothing about how the rest of the shit doesn't matter
>>
>>376788916
Probably the harder 3D Zelda game when it comes to combat, though a lot of difficulty does diminish by the endgame.
>>
>>376788916
Considering I cheesed the top level arena shrine early on on three hearts and bombs I'd say no.
>>
>>376796545
It happens. Sorry for being a prick, I'm up way too late
>>
>>376796516

You don't have friends anon.
>>
>>376796250
"hurr durr perfect gaems totualley exist n i h8 BotW cuz it's not purrfect
>>
>>376796516
I'll have to agree with you their. Some of my more casual family members who don't even play video games are having troubles with BoTW
>It's like Dark Souls guys!
He never played Dark Souls

But every person I know who actually plays video games caught on pretty quick. It's not like the combat is mechanically deep or anything, but casuals gonna casual
>>
>>376788916
Not even close. Zelda 2 is still the hardest.
>>
>>376796772
The funny thing is I have a friend that plays like two AAA games a year and he struggled so hard that he almost dropped the game lmao
>>
File: 1489282208795.jpg (353KB, 648x747px) Image search: [Google]
1489282208795.jpg
353KB, 648x747px
Let me get this straight, this entire thread is about people complaing that the game is too easy.

It's only easy because you can pause the game at any time and replenish your health using food.

1) It doesn't sound like the game is that easy if players are constantly on the verge of death and have to keep healing themselves.

2) Being able to heal in that fashion, in a MASSIVE open world gaming spanning hundreds of hours, seems like a good idea to let less skilled players enjoy the game without frustration.

What's the fucking problem here? Maybe, just maybe, Nintendo hit a decent balance in difficultly which makes the game accessible to a wide audience.
>>
>>376796850
>players are constantly on the verge of death
Who said that
>>
>>376796850
The game having a low skill ceiling is the problem
>>
>>376796850
Being able to heal virtually infinitely at will with no risk or consequence IS easy

You can argue that the game becomes challenging when you self-impose restrictions on yourself, but then so can any game.
>>
>>376796934
Why would you go into the menu to heal otherwise? That's the whole flaw of this argument.
>>
>>376796934
Me.
No bully pls. Without spam healing I would have made little progress
>>
>>376796850
>Nintendo hit a decent balance in difficultly
Which would mean it's not that difficult, right?
>>
>>376796850
>It's only easy because you can pause the game at any time and replenish your health using food.
And because the enemies are incredibly predictable and have puddle deep move pools. And because there aren't many enemy types. And because it's rare to see them in any formations that really challenge you.

The only reason the game is even remotely challenging is in the first couple of hours when you're learning the retarded controls (Which doesn't take long because Link's move pool is also shallow as fuck) and your weapons are complete shit and break in two hits.
After that, it's a cakewalk.

The game is easy, bub.
>>
>>376796991
If you can install tly heal any damage you take at no risk whatsoever, damage is inconsequential. Ergo, game is easy.
>>
>>376796975
I think his argument is that being easy is not a bad thing due to audience
>>
>>376796991
>get close to death during a fight
>realise you can instaheal in menus
It only takes being close to death once to see this mechanic. Why do you assume the opposite?
>>
>>376797008
Yeah, it skews to the easy side, but I don't think it's insultingly easy like the past zeldas or hell even okami
>>
>>376797040
That isn't how it works. If you never had to eat because you never took any damage, then I would consider the game easy. If you have to keep eating food to stay alive then the game is not easy.
>>
>>376797061
I don't think it's a bad thing that the game is easy. It makes sense precisely BECAUSE of the audience.

But don't go around pretending that it's NOT easy.
>>
>>376796802
And Zelda II is still the worst.
>>
>>376797021
>retarded controls
I felt the controls were perfectly fine, weird
>>
>>376797145
Hey, no one is. It's just the degree of easiness that is argued on
>>
>/v/ is so desperate to find a single flaw in BotW
I love this salt.
>>
>>376797113
It is though because you will literally never die if you're not brain-dead.

Would Dark Souls still be a hard game if you could pause the game and instantly recover all of your health at any time? No.

Taking damage =\= difficult
Risk of failure = difficult
>>
The hardest part of the game is getting caught in the Yiga hideout infiltration. You have several niggers on your back that can teleport and slice your shit up in one go.
>>
>>376797149
t. Millennial who actually thinks the multiplayer titles and DS titles were better than AoL
>>
>>376797257
Shut up nigger.

>>376788916
Back on topic, BotW seems to be a game that is easy due to the targeted audience but can become more challenging with simple self-imposed challenges.

Is that a good or a bad thing? What differentiates self imposed challenges from difficulty settings?
>>
>>376797257
Difficulty can not be a flaw. Nobody is looking for a flaw. It's just an easy game, that's all. And that's fine. I loved BoTW, I completed it and even found every shrine.

But it's an easy game.
>>
>>376792103
This. They basically put all difficulty into jacking up the damage enemies dish out. It honestly gets real obnoxious when a random enemy can just tap you for 18 hearts of damage. I get the feeling they just jacked up the damage because you can carry an entire all you can eat buffet in your pocket.
>>
>>376797257
you nintenbros always this delusional?
>>
File: hdqlkahvbsllqovgnfto.jpg (63KB, 800x580px) Image search: [Google]
hdqlkahvbsllqovgnfto.jpg
63KB, 800x580px
>>376797417
Yes they're completely delusional. The game didn't really get more perfect scores than any other game ever released. It was all a dream. Shhhhh.... back to sleep little baby..... shhhhh....
>>
>>376797381
BoTW can be legitimately challenging when you self-impose challenges onto yourself. That's fine. But people shouldn't pretend that self imposed challenges constitute the actual difficulty of the game.
With that logic Super Mario 64 is the hardest game ever made since you can try and beat it withoit pressing the A button
>>
>>376797386
>But it's an easy game.
Nope.
>>
>>376797594
Yes, because SS didn't get 10/10's too and we all know how great that game is.

Zelda games always get inflated scores solely because of name recognition.
>>
>>376796850
>It's only easy because you can pause the game at any time and replenish your health using food.
>It's only easy because it's easy

Uh yeah.
>>
>>376797594
BotW is massively overrated. Yeah, it's fun and all, but it's middle of the road for zelda games. It's a low 8 at the most.
>>
>>376797621
Then I can only assume you have brain problems if you had trouble with a game designed for 8 year olds to beat
>>
>>376797621
Wow, 10/10 argument
>>
>normal enemy hits for like 20 hearts
>whateverBlight Ganon hits for 1, if that
>>
>>376797714
To you. To me it's GOTY so far, and I played N:A and Nioh
>>
>>376797646
>B-but Nintendo bias!
>B-but paid reviews!
>6/10 at best!

Everytime.
>>
Can we just agree that by design BoTW is easy but can be made challenging by limiting yourself from using certain in-game mechanics?
>>
>>376797828
I hope you're lying because ignorance I can forgive, but not shit taste.
>>
>>376797891
Can't we say that about many many games?
>>
>>376797720
Difficulty is relative, Breath of the Wild is a hard game because it's more difficult than the competition. Most games are way too easy nowadays, BotW is one of the few games that did difficulty right.
>>
File: 1494652779422.png (118KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
1494652779422.png
118KB, 404x404px
>>376797714
>It's fun
>Doesn't deserve a good score

I forgot people here have no idea what they want from games anymore.
>>
>>376797891
No, because that's retarded. You can do that with any game.
Besides, even if you chose not to heal, it's not like the enemies get any less braindead to defeat, you just have to pay a little bit more attention.
BoTW as it stands is easy.
>>
File: Link_Furiously_picking_mushrooms.jpg (500KB, 525x1454px) Image search: [Google]
Link_Furiously_picking_mushrooms.jpg
500KB, 525x1454px
>>376789152
Those centaur fuckers get absurdly hard in end game though.
>>
>Food can only be eaten when Link is standing in neutral position (not in the middle of an attack animation or ragdolling)
>Clicking "eat" instantly closes the menu and forces Link to play the eating animation in-game rather than in the pause menu
>Hearts regenerate at a rate of 1 heart per second rather than being instantly filled

Is BoTW hard now?
>>
>>376798003
No, they get easier because you have more health, better weapons, better armor and champion abilities
>>
>>376797897
>shit taste
Nah it's you who have shit taste
Preferences exist. N:A's story and characters did not grab me at all so I felt it was a slog to play through. Nioh's only good point is combat.

Zelda has what I want more in games so I like that better. Not hard to understand
>>
>>376798025
That doesn't fix the enemies being shallower than hair soup.
The problem isn't just the healing, it's everything.
>>
>>376788916
BOTW is a easy as every other 3D Zelda once you get past the beginning and you get more than shitty Boko weapons and realise Hearty items are an Instant Full Heal. Not even the other 3D Zelda let you carry so much healing. Sure you run into the odd Silver enemy that hits hard but their attacks are the same and still easily avoided.
>>
>>376797986
>low 8 isnt a good score
>>
>>376798087
One of those fuckers on the blizzard mountain fucked me up pretty hard despite having great / upgraded armour, his health is absurdly high and cheesing him with arrows is not a viable option because of that. They still are pretty hard to get down even in endgame.
>>
>>376798124
Have you literally played any 3D Zelda. Killed enemies drop hearts like candy, their damage output is pathetic and their patterns are even easier to avoid, even end-game BOTW is harder as at least enemies can gang up on you
>>
>>376798124
>sure there are more difficult parts
>it's still as easy though haha
>>
>>376798239
If you don't know how to fight them, then yes. But they are essentially just like the weaker ones, with much more health.
>>
File: 1494474844594.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1494474844594.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Off topic, but has anyone found a weapon with more than 109 damage? I can't seem to find anything with more than that.
>>
>>376798319
You can do way more damage than that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKlhmVgkao&t
>>
File: C-XjeJ2UwAEiB4q.jpg (104KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
C-XjeJ2UwAEiB4q.jpg
104KB, 1200x675px
>>376798319
My 115 level claymore. Pictured.
>>
>>376797986
>8 isn't a good score

8/10 is a perfectly fine score. In my eyes, 10/10=perfect. No game is perfect, so i dont believe in 10's
>>
>>376798665
Okay not really attacking you but if so what is the point of a ten point scale if one point is never used?
>>
>>376798319
whats this from? thats some badass shit
>>
>>376798240
>>376798296
Inflated HP and damage output only matter if the enemy is a legitimate threat. After fighting Bokolobin and Moblins the whole game, they aren't remotely threatening. True you get rare situation where you are trapped between some and take damage but who cares about damage with free healing and the Champion abilities.
>>
File: 1451917395447.jpg (84KB, 400x363px) Image search: [Google]
1451917395447.jpg
84KB, 400x363px
>>376798665
>10/10
>It's a perfect score
>But nothing perfect exists
>So nothing can be 10/10
Really joggin my noggin
>>
>>376798783
I think it's Westworld
>>
why does this game remind me of terraria
>>
>>376798794
I thought you are comparing it to previous zeldas, which suffer from the same flaws but with less damage and health, making them objectively easier?
>>
>>376798580
I've never even seen one and i explored most of the castle. Where did you get it?
>>
>>376798738
If you just hand out 10's left and right, people just get all bitchy if some game doesn't hit a 10 rank. Review scales are honestly pretty dumb anyways, and i dont know where i'm going with this, it's too late to think properly
>>
>>376798665
I agree. A 5 realistically is average, so anything above that is above average, and technically "good". People that look at a 7/10 rating and assume a game is shit are cringy as fuck.
>>
>>376799064
getting all offended because your favorite game scored low is dumb as shit. Some game i like is like a 5/10 according to whatever critic you listen to, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of it.
>>
>>376799140
I've loved games rated a 4. Just because a game isn't the greatest thing ever doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Numerical ratings in general are fucking retarded.
>>
>>376799012
I think maybe the castle? I only it use for raping Lynels.
>>
>>376798665
>No game is perfect, so i dont believe in 10's

This is just your attempt at sounding like an intellectual without actually understanding why something is flawed.

Fuck off.
>>
>>376798534
I'm just talking about base damage.
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.