[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about edgy equipment in videogames that actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: Daedric Armor.jpg (99KB, 1024x1212px) Image search: [Google]
Daedric Armor.jpg
99KB, 1024x1212px
Can we talk about edgy equipment in videogames that actually has in-game explanations for their edgyness?

One example is that of Skyrim's Daedric Armor, at first glance one may just think that It's just edgy because it's based around the Tamrielic equivalent of demons, but the shape of the armor is explained trough lore, it being that the heart you use to craft each piece of armor is a living part of a daedra, and while one part is still intact, a daedra will "regenerate", by throwing one around in melted ebony, the blacksmith that creates the armor is essentially forcing a daedra to try to reconstruct itself inside of boiling hot ebony, with such process being extremely painful, the daedra contorts itself in pain, giving the uneven, edgy look that the armor has.
>>
>>376777180

gay thread
>>
>>376777180
Except for that is a wrong explanation for how Daedric "regeneration" or Daedric smithing works.

Daedra do not literally regenerate like Wolverine, they are unbound Ada without mortality, so when their corporeal shell is destroyed their Animus (basically a soul) returns to the waters of Oblivion where a new corporeal shape is formed around it. Their form is very much a materialization of their concept/idea behind their true Adic (spiritual) self.

Daedric smithing is not forcing the Daedra to regenerate into this shape, it's something a lot more sinister. Ebony is blood of Lorkhan turned into a material/metal, it is very magical in nature and is one of the elements that can bind itself to souls and contain them, even larger souls and essences of spirits. What you do when you do Daedric Smithing is you beat the living shit out of the very essence of a Daedra into submission, force it's very Animus to enter the ebony and then you seal it inside for ever, binding it to armor and essentially making the armor it's new body...the only difference is that the Animus of a Daedra will for ever be in pain and suffering, echoes that you can sometimes hear if you listen closely to the gear they say.

This is even worse than Soul trapping, because when you soul trap only magicka storing body of the soul is bound to the item while rest of the soul is sent to whatever realm was bound to the gem, the soul will be incomplete/weak and will be trapped for ever in said realm unless released by it's master...but at least they are freeish in one plane of existence. Daedric Smithing traps a Daedras soul in the armor for ever without any chance of freedom and it keeps it in constant pain.
>>
>>376777221
fuck you, anon
>>
>>376777645
So it's pretty muchan "I have no mouth and I must scream scenario" for the Daedra?
>>
>>376777646
no, fuck you
>>
>>376777180
>>376777645
You are also semi-wrong about the shape of the armor itself, it is clear that the smith can shape the armor to some extent since there are different styles of Daedric armor, but regardless after a certain point the armor becomes almost a living creature and it will twist and contort and glow in certain areas, maybe naturally grow spikes here and there before it's finished.
>>
>>376777723
Yep.
>>
>>376777180
Weew, this whole time I thought the artists at Bethesda just went full WoW shit with Daedric equipment. Had no idea it actually had an explanation like that. Breddy gud.
>>
In FFXIV dragoons wear spiky armour to make it more difficult for dragons to grab them.
>>
>>376778076
But if a dragon grabs you it's exposing one of its weakspots
>>
>>376777781
>>376777781
What about weapons, anon?
Does the same thing happen?
Are they filled with the Daedra bloodlust?
What about Daedric Artifacts made from ebony? I know that Umbra uses a part of Clavicus Vile soul, and that it drives anyone who uses it insane.
>>
>>376778303
Daedric weapons use Dremora traditionally which aren't really bloodthirsty.
>>
Could the itens crafted for the Champion of Cyrodill be classified as Daedric Artifacts now that he mantled Sheogorath?
>>
File: 1493224458317.jpg (6KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
1493224458317.jpg
6KB, 200x150px
>>376777756
Maybe you and I should settle it right here in the ring if you think you're so tough
>>
>>376779041
Did he make those items Himself, or imbue them with His power? If yes, then they can be artifacts.
>>
>>376778303
Daedric Artifacts are actually not "Daedric" in origin usually. What qualifies as a Daedric artifact is ANY artifact powerful enough that somehow got into the hands of a Daedric Prince which later resulted in Daedric Prince putting a small part of his and/or essence of his plane into the artifact, binding it to him.

Umbra was quite literally forged by an evil witch from a very large part of Clavicus Viles essence, but the catch is that Umbra because of various things became an entity of it's own that does not listen or obey Vile.

So yeah, that cool sword you made? If Molag Bal gets it one day and really likes it, he might turn it into his artifact.
>>
>>376779041
Things crafted FOR Champion of Cyrodiil are not Daedric Artifacts.
Things crafted after he became Sheogorath or things which he put his essence into are Daedric Artifacts.
Of course there is also a line, there are many daedric artifacts, but to be a Daedric artifact with a big "D" the Prince has to imbue it with some of his own energy.
>>
File: 165px-MW-item-Daedric_Armor.jpg (12KB, 165x250px) Image search: [Google]
165px-MW-item-Daedric_Armor.jpg
12KB, 165x250px
>>376778065
Artists at Bethesda did go will WoW shit.
This explanation has existed for a while but for example Morrowind armor looked like edgy Samurai armor.
Sure it still had random spikes and glowy bits to represent the fact that it is a living armor created through torment, but it still had a style to it. Skyrim design is just ugly if you ask me.
>>
>>376779676
Skyrim design is worse than Morrowind's but miles better than Oblivions, which look like compressed turds. Absolutely ugly.
>>
File: 9azuB.jpg (42KB, 363x600px) Image search: [Google]
9azuB.jpg
42KB, 363x600px
>>376779962
Oddly enough I believe that if some proportions of Oblivion Daedric were changed, it could work.
But as it is, it looks horrible.
>>
>>376780124
I suppose it works as boring stormtrooper armor since you fight it so often. But it's so ugly.

You'd think the thing you'd be seeing constantly would be something they made look a little bit good.
>>
File: 1489629100324.jpg (50KB, 604x451px) Image search: [Google]
1489629100324.jpg
50KB, 604x451px
>>376779057
I'll kick your ass.
>>
It's actually crazy how some of the Daedric Artifacts can be actually stronger than the princes themselves.

Mehrunes Razor can cut trough everything, that means that if somebody was smart enough, they could cut the world in half, make the aetherius fuck off and many other stuff

The Dawnbreaker is essentially infinite, many can exist at one time because of the nature of Meridia Herself

The Skull Of Corruption can create hostile copies of the targets it is used on, and that's why Vaermina doesn't show her face in the mortal place, cause she's afraid of it being used on herself

Azura's Star can become more powerfu than the Heart Of Lorkhan if enough souls are stored into it

The skeleton key is fucking ridiculous, since if you "stab" someone with it you can open their death

Spellbreaker is essentially a mini-numidium, if you beat magical things with it enough times, they pretty much disappear
Sotha Sil was actually scared of that and stablished various methods of keeping it away from his city

Scourge can banish any Daedra
>>
>>376777645
>>376777180
That's pretty neat. I will feel more compelled to use armor that requires a Daedra heart in its smithing now knowing that these fucks are literally screaming in agony as I go around picking herbs and flowers lmao
>>
>>376780619
>Mehrunes Razor can cut trough everything, that means that if somebody was smart enough, they could cut the world in half, make the aetherius fuck off and many other stuff
We don't know if it's actually true or not, all we can tell is that it's an extremely powerful, almost tonal tool.
>The Dawnbreaker is essentially infinite, many can exist at one time because of the nature of Meridia Herself
That's not stronger than Meridia, most of the things in Colored Rooms have that property, she is an ex-Magna-Ge after all.
>The Skull Of Corruption can create hostile copies of the targets it is used on, and that's why Vaermina doesn't show her face in the mortal place, cause she's afraid of it being used on herself
Tru.
>Azura's Star can become more powerfu than the Heart Of Lorkhan if enough souls are stored into it
Bullshit, no sources exist to support this claim what so ever and Azuras star clearly can not bind souls that work differently from the conventional tri-Fold souls. It can not store Dragon souls and it probably can not bind Et'Ada, otherwise special soulgems like Mantella would not be created for catching a Shezzarines soul.
>The skeleton key is fucking ridiculous, since if you "stab" someone with it you can open their death
It's crazier, it's a key that can unlock all things locked away, including potential. You could literally turn yourself into a master of magic if you knew how to use it properly.
>Spellbreaker is essentially a mini-numidium, if you beat magical things with it enough times, they pretty much disappear
Sotha Sil was actually scared of that and stablished various methods of keeping it away from his city
Spellbreaker is powerful but I do not doubt that most high tier Dwemer tools were like that.
>Scourge can banish any Daedra
True.

Still most powerful artifacts are not the Daedric ones. Numidium, Staff of Chaos and Staff/Eye of Magnus are basically "We can take on the whole universe solo in the right hands" tier.
>>
>>376780996
Not all Daedra are dicks, some have hopes and dreams and do not wish to serve their prince.

There was this Daedra that got unbound because of a shitty mage or something along those lines and he was free to roam Tamriel as long as his original binding ritual which I think was tied to an item was not broken. So he became a legendary fucking Pirate...you get a chance to banish him in Skyrim or let him stay I think though I am a bit fogy on the quest.
>>
>>376781362
Fucking Velehk Sain

Dude also created a pair of fucking sweet curved swords
>>
>2017
>yet another fucking skyrim post

Fuck this board.
>>
>>376781362
Dude also wrote a book, right?
>>
>>376781362
Fair enough. Is there anyway to bind/trap regular souls into armor and weapons the same way? Those Altmer have been free for way too long.
>>
>>376781486
This guy inspired me to run a tabletop TES campaign where characters are a band of daedric mercenaries traveling through planes, trying to get power and fame.
>>
All this talk about artifacts reminds me of fucking Feyfolken

>"shit I am literally too rich, need to do something with that money"
>"shit, why not enchant a quill with a fucking daedra soul?"
>>
>>376781667
That seems fun as fuck

How was it, anon?
>>
>>376781617
I don't think so. Mortals have a body and a soul, that are product of the mortal plane... Daedra and other Ada are spirits, their bodies are temporary projections of their soul and they are basically 100℅ a soul. Binding them to magical material like ebony is complicated, but binding a mortal soul would probably be even harder because mortal body is a distinct thing and a soul is supposedly tied to it with three "knots" as neloth says, probably each knot for a distinct part of the soul.
You would have to go through the trouble of recreating the sort of connection that a mortal soul and a body have which might take decades of research... And I mean it would be a grand discovery that could potentially finally give way for 100℅ revival since it's currently consisted impossible... But that's besides the point.

Basically unless you are a revolutionary mage with too much time on his hands doing this to a mortal soul is impossible.
>>
>>376781803
>that feeling when you soul trap Almalexia's and Vivec and transform theirn souls into a pair of useless boots with a constant feather effect of 1
>>
>>376782174
I'll stick to soul trapping them and enchanting my cock rings then.
>>
>>376781972
It's on hiatus ATM, but it was great fun, especially when player got to learn from Barons of move like this
>>
>>376777645

Well in that case it'd be edgier if you made the armor pink and gave it a bunch of penis shaped protrusions.
The endless inescapable pain, plus the humiliation of being made of dicks
>>
>>376782297
Use Azuras star, their souls will be sent to her realm for ultimate irony.
>>
>>376777221
fpbp
>>
File: IMG_7851.png (199KB, 1800x1578px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7851.png
199KB, 1800x1578px
>>376781549
>how can people like a setting that I don't? How is it possible?
>>
>>376782524
That's actually pretty fucking smart
>>
>>376782784
The Elder Scrolls lore is pretty cool, too bad they're stuck with Bethesda's same shitty engines.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.