[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here comes the redpill: No one wants or cares about Half Life 3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: Half-Life_3_logo.png (15KB, 220x189px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_3_logo.png
15KB, 220x189px
Only HL1 was any good. HL2 was a shitty game. The gun selection was limited and uninspired. The gunfights were predictable. The physics were outdated and done to death by other games. Source is not a good engine to begin with.

Moreover, the story is atrocious and completely rewrites the original game. It just asks questions and doesn't provide answers. It is Lost-tier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI

Educate yourself. Half Life as a series is a meme. Caring about HL3 coming out is a meme too. Half of the people who loved 2 no longer play video games, and no one under the age of 25 played HL2 when it came out.
>>
>>376767319

>Here comes the redpill: No one wants or cares about Half Life 3

biggest bait of the day
>>
>>376767319
>Here comes the redpill: No one wants or cares about Half Life 3
wait a minute when did i stop wanting it
>>
>>376767319
>The physics were outdated and done to death by other games.

this is the bit where it became TOO obvious
>>
i might be interested in HL3 if i ever get around to finishing 2
>>
EVERY YEAR

EVERY FUCKING YEAR

E3

I SIT IN MY FUCKING CHAIR

LOOKING---- SHITTY GAMES EVERYWHERE

AND THEY MAKE ANOTHER HALF LIFE 3 IS NOT HERE AGAIN JOKE

And I die a little more inside.
>>
>>376767379
there is probably around >600 people who actually want hl3 to release
the rest are redditor memers
>>
>>376767319
>t. 12yr
>>
File: 1442537192181.jpg (160KB, 1280x674px) Image search: [Google]
1442537192181.jpg
160KB, 1280x674px
>>376767319
hmmm
>>
Yes HL2 is overrated. I remember getting called edgelord over and over back when /v/ still loved HL2 and would have constant Alyx threads. Now /v/ has taken the waifu thing to ridiculous levels where any game at all featuring a man as the main character triggers them because they all have daddy issues.

Proof? How about /v/ would rather have the new Devil May Cry game with a female lead rather than Dante or his son.
>>
>>376767581
The problem with the theory is that if HL3 did come out the memers would guaranteed buy HL3 PLUS the rest of the Half Life series that they've never touched. Crank the price on HL1+2 up to 30 bucks a pop the day HL3 is announced + preorders open, and the memefucks will buy them all, play HL1 for an hour, and go away satisfied that they 'took part in the greatest moment in gaming history'. Make a billion dollars.
>>
>>376767751
Are you actually arguing that HL2 was the first game with physics? Watch the video in the OP. It lists like 12 gamea that did it years before and better.
>>
>>376767319
I completely agree. I played half-life 1 for the first time in like 2010 and had a lot of fun, then went to HL2 and stopped after like 7 hours.
>>
File: B6e2d7cCYAIqRP0.jpg (36KB, 600x424px) Image search: [Google]
B6e2d7cCYAIqRP0.jpg
36KB, 600x424px
>>376767319

People care, but Valve doesn't. They have no incentive to make it, they make shitoads of money doing literally nothing but distributing other games.

Just about everyone involved in the half life series from day 1 has left within the past few years, if that's not a death knell for HL3 I don't know what would be.

Gabe even stopped making his subtle little hints and cameos about 2 or so years ago.

At this point either HL3 has radically changed from it's original concept to the point that project leads with decades spent on HL have lost hope for the direction or it's literally going nowhere and they bailed.
>>
>>376768472
This, really.

It's not that no one cares, everyone cares to an extent. This is like the duke nukem forever of valve.

But after they took on Dota2 and CS:GO and introduced hats in tf2 they realized they can make 100x more money on being the biggest distributor of virtual games. They don't need to make games anymore.
>>
>>376769081

Not to mention that CS:GO was outsourced. Dota2, honestly one of the most cost effective style of games to make, is the last thing they actually made in-house.

And that was 4 years ago, they've not made a single game in 4 years. Before was Portal 2, in 2011.

Prior to which they were making at least one game every 1 - 2 years, despite valve time.
>>
>>376768472
I think the issue for me is that Half Life 2 really fucking sucks, and so I think thay zero hype is justified for 3.
>>
>>376769882

Not judging or anything, but how old are you?

Opinions on Half Life 2 seem to pivot a lot on when it was first experienced. As a late teenager it was amazing when it first came out, but if the shit we have now was out when I was a teenager and I went back to play HL2 I'd think it was utter crap.
>>
I used to want another Half-Life.

Then the years slowly went by with "nothing to say" and Valve changed from a game developer to a game distributor and I realized another game was never coming out. Of course, they'll never say anything because they know the tiny sliver of hope that one day, maybe, we might get a HL3 keeps people faithful and talking up a storm whenever Gabe so much as farts.
>>
>>376767319
>le Seinfeld isn't funny effect
>>
>>376767562

Valve hasn't been to an E3 since like 2007. Why the fuck would you still be waiting for something that will never happen?
>>
File: cdi_image_box_image_05.jpg (38KB, 400x238px) Image search: [Google]
cdi_image_box_image_05.jpg
38KB, 400x238px
>>376767319
>HL2 was a shitty game.

Stopped reading there
>>
>>376767319
>The gun selection was limited and uninspired.
Unfortunately true desu. A 'realistic' game was the best avenue to show off Source's graphic fidelity + physics systems but due to that we lost the uniqueness of Half-Life 1's later arsenal. The Gravity Gun was neat for like 15 minutes but it didn't really do much outside of a tool for puzzles.
The MP7 prototype was nice to see, but it was brought down by the stuff like the double-barrel SPAS shot and the MP7's invisible grenade launcher.

Eh nah. Bar shitty dodgy glitches the majority of physics systems in Source works well and it was amazing to see a game come out with decent physics, fluent ragdoll systems, accurate weight + buoyancy, IK rigging, and a semi-interactive particle system. Half-Life 2 still felt somewhat modern up until 2008 or so because developers lagged behind on implementing systems properly until that time.
The only thing remotely close to Source at the time was id Tech 4, but that was solely for the lighting.

>Source is not a good engine to begin with.
Honestly a shame. Source feels good to move in, is extremely accessible for most computers, and would be relatively futureproof if not for being solely 32-bit and for having abysmal tools. I'm honestly surprised how big the modding scenes were on Source considering how fucking impossible it is to import custom models.

HL1 ended in a way that made it hard to make a sequel out of but at the same time the HL2 Beta stories just wouldn't work.HL3 will just be Valve's way of showing off a good accessible modern physics engine with flashy graphics if it ever comes out, and at this point I just couldn't care for it, or for anything that Valve will release.

I want to love Valve, don't get me wrong, but fuck me they haven't had a good track record in the last 10 years.
>>
File: Feinley_F Resume 2017.png (66KB, 574x629px) Image search: [Google]
Feinley_F Resume 2017.png
66KB, 574x629px
>>376770632
I actually played HL2 when it came out and was in love with it as well. I clocked more hours on it than any other PC game because at the time I was a console kiddie.

It's the game I feel most betrayed about actually. I feel like it was pure hype. The story especially is a slap in the face to the original game. I hate all the Gordon-worship in the game, and the shitty inside jokes and references. That basically constitutes the entire story. The original Half Life was a great organic game. 2 was nothing more than cashing in on that in the cringiest way.
>>
Pretty sure the original composer, all the writers and the concept artist left valve. I think I'll live without a HL3, Valve has no one to blame but themselves. Especially you Gabe.
>>
>>376771943
re: the Source engine, one other complaint I have with it is how Half Life 2 seemed to run uniquely poorly on it. I read something about how further tweaks to the engine made this the case, but holy shit is it hard to play when switching guns makes the game freeze for 15 seconds as the sound file loads.
>>
whats the deal with the resurgence of hl3 memes in past 2 years?
>>
>>376767319

What? the physics were mind blowing at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ddJ1OKV63Q
>>
Half-Life 3 is never happening, at least the way we want it. Everyone involved with the previous games has left the company over the years. No one is working on a HL3 if one even exists at all. Valve is too complacent making a shit ton of money being the world's biggest video game distributor.
>>
File: shepardpic8.jpg (404KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shepardpic8.jpg
404KB, 1920x1080px
HL3 is youtube comment section tier
>mfw u fags actually want this
>>
>>376767319
what's with all of the valve shit today
>>
>>376772194
When it's working it's amazing, but fuck me Source loves to stutter when loading nearly anything.
>>
>>376772003

I have to know, is that an example of "what not to do" on a CV? Because holy fuck that's bad. I'd bin that immediately.
>>
>>376772268
The physics were marketed as mindblowing, but they had been done in other games as early as 1998. And Psi-Ops literally did the body dragging and flinging stuff better.

It was all just hype.
>>
>>376767319
>No one wants or cares about Half Life 3
At this point, sure, Valve has been doing everything in its power to make people stop caring.
>>
Back in 2004 when OP was 5 HL2 was literally the tits. Absolutely NOTHING offered such an immersive physics experience. It was un fucking heard of.

Honestly at this point HL3 is going to be Duke Nukem Forever bad.

Nothing they can do will be as exciting and innovating as HL2 was at the time.
>>
File: 1486491852027.png (117KB, 305x382px) Image search: [Google]
1486491852027.png
117KB, 305x382px
>>376772405
It's used as bait on /pol/ and other boards all the time, i.e., "If Trump is so great why can't I still get a job??"

I highly recommend setting it as bait on a random board some time. The responses are hilarious, and once people start trying to help, I find you actually get some helpful advice about resume building in general.
>>
>>376772279
at this point i doubt it's happening in any way.
>>
>>376772003

The hero worship of Gordon absolutely makes sense in context, every vortigaunt in the game was literally freed by him destroying Nihilant. And since they're allied with the humans it's pretty apparent why he's essentially a god to them all.

Everything in the story makes sense and is in line with the barebones story of Hl1. The only thing that may have been believably retconned is that it's pretty apparent the G-man is delivering the sample in 1, but Breen is said to have been responsible for the cascade in HL2.

I absolutely agree that HL1 is a better game though. The first time you reach the labs later in the game and realize that Black Mesa had been not only aware of what was beyond the portals, but bringing specimens back was awesome story telling without saying a single word.
>>
File: IMG_1520.jpg (1MB, 2209x3108px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1520.jpg
1MB, 2209x3108px
>>376771943
>Half-Life 2 still felt somewhat modern up until 2008 or so because developers lagged behind on implementing systems properly until that time.

There were games with better technology, game design and visuals in 2004 when HL2 came out tho. Like seriously.
>>
>>376772818
The hero worship could make sense if you accept the fact that all these characters were retconned in HL2 to 1) exist and 2) live. Everyone from Barney to the black doctor man were just faceless NPCs that died. The fact is that I don't think anyone was aware of what happened to Gordon in the first game. In the context of the first game, that is.
>>
Men that gifted their souls to the forever pain.
Men that let the terror win.
Men that have not played a video game in a decade.
Half Life 3 is the only thing that can make them play a video game again.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.