[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Square-enix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 295
Thread images: 26

File: Sleeping_Dogs_DLC[1].jpg (60KB, 615x328px) Image search: [Google]
Sleeping_Dogs_DLC[1].jpg
60KB, 615x328px
Just Cause 3 was apparently mandated by square to be an mp game first
Hitman Season 2 possibly dead
Sleeping Dogs 2 dead
Deus Ex on hiatus

What the fuck is going over there? They've seemed to fuck up or fuck with every western game they've released but pour millions into their own money pit of Final Fantasy.
>>
The head honchos want to suppress the western studios for some reason. either they're doing far better or far worse than the Japanese ones.
>>
should have gone MP with JC3

what were the devs thinking?
>>
>>376736683
What the hell is considered a success for these slants?
>>
>>376736683
It's the former.
FF15 is a failure but they're doing everything they can to skew the statistics and make it seem like it was the success while everything else was a failure.
They pulled the same exact shit around the time of FF12 btw by hurting everything else.
>>
File: 1417841082205.gif (27KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1417841082205.gif
27KB, 200x200px
>quitting IO
>who works to make (sometimes) quality products (for the most part) on tight budgets and harsh expectations
>makes decent games for the most part (minus Thi4f: Cockrings Edition)
>Square pumps millions upon millions into a game that floated through purgatory for over a fucking decade, swallowing money like a black hole, finally releases it, and it's a shallow fucking subpar 'Boy Band Experience: All My Friends Are Dead Edition' experience

I wish Square Enix would just burn already. FF hasn't been good since X / XII. Kingdom Hearts is just endlessly remade and milked and further convoluted to shit. Nomura sits around jerking off in his office while being paid millions to run several projects as effectively inefficiently as humanely and financially fucking possible, while the heads all circlejerk each other in their corporate penthouse while sucking off Yakuza.
>>
>>376737929
Why would they do that?
>>
>>376738158
Pride in their flagship franchise. Same reason why FF13 got 2 sequels that both failed to sell even 1/3 as good as FF13 and why they kept shoving Lightning into fucking everything to make it seem like she's beloved by all and the face of the company.
>>
>>376738158

Japanese are incredibly fucking prideful to a great fault. Especially traditional Japanese business men.

They'll do what it takes to give the appearance that all is going as it should and are following through with success before they admit failure and actually learn from their fuckups.
>>
>>376738153
IO didn't make the cockring game, that was Eidos Montreal.
>>
>>376738281
Go check ffxv and ffxiv if you want to see games that failed but were given the illusion of being amazing successes
>>
>>376736452
The sooner they get out the better. Hitman guys will at least get to continue making season 2, but Deus Ex team is stuck working on a Marvel game now.
>>
>>376738483
Didn't FFXIV become successful after they rebooted it?
>>
>>376738158
Japanese culture 101: Put your personal pride before everything else. NEVER admit to failure, it's the world that is wrong, not you.
This extends to every facet of their lives and society, including law which is why they have 99.98% conviction rate because they literally force you to make confessions by holding you in "temporary arrest" for years on end, denying your right to see your attorney (and defense attorneys basically don't even exist there for the most part), denying you water and food and barely keeping you alive until you sign forced confessions and so on.
All to keep up appearances of perfect record.

Ring a bell? Protip, Ace Attorney wasn't a parody, it was social commentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shiori_Ino

Read this shit, it explains one of most prominent cases of bullshit pride causing rape and murder of an innocent girl.
>>
So will another publisher buy IO?
They're still a great developer. They've just been subjected to shitty business practices.
>>
>>376738620
EA
>>
>>376738483

I don't need to. I played them. They're fucking garbage.

XV was mediocre as fuck, and I'm not even being cynical. It was ok at best. I traded that shit in upon finishing it because I'll never touch it again.

I fell into the hyp for XIV in 2010, then as it approached release, started to realize "Oh shit, nothing is changing, no updates, no more content, release in 2 weeks away, what the fuck man." And then it came out and was shit.

Didn't bother with ARR.

I'm honestly kind of curious how SE makes money when all their new games are so mediocre and lacking what made them so great in the past.
>>
It seems the prevalent belief in this thread is that the Japanese HQ is composed of irrational, emotionally-motivated decision makers.

That's a lovely notion, but is there any quantitative data that backs up this idea, or did Hitman actually fail to generate significant profit, thus leading to IO's release?
>>
>>376738547
Not really, it simply started turning profit AFTER swallowing up a metric fuckton of money in a black hole that was 1.0 and the subsequent subscription-less 1+ year uptime and complete redevelopment from scratch.

Now look at it like this.
Say you spent 100 million dollars on X.
Then the X flops and barely makes 1/10 of that sum back.
Then you dump another 100 million into X to fix it while also spending extra 10 million to keep older version of X running in the meantime.
Then X 2.0 comes out and starts slowly giving you profit, profit that will NEVER cover the 210 million you just invested into it.

Does that sound like a success to you?
>>
>>376737076
No idea but if 5 million sales for TR 2013 is considered a failure, then you know something's not right. It might very well be some sort of internal politics bullshit that's going on.
>>
>>376738547
its going all right, gonna have another expansion.
But don't expect it to be WoWkiller or be big player in the market.
Basically brings profit to the company but nothing astronomic
>>
>>376738765
>Didn't bother with ARR.
It's LITERALLY WoW-clone circa WotLK, with a Final Fantasy skin, just like fucking TOR, just less shitty.
>>
>>376738765
>I'm honestly kind of curious how SE makes money when all their new games are so mediocre and lacking what made them so great in the past.

Obsessive fanbase and possible viral marketing. FFXIV has had an unofficial 24/7
general on /v/ for over 2 years.
>>
>>376738871

I have friends who try to rope me in EVERY TIME they go back, but it looks so unbearably flashy.

I can't deal with all the flashy particle effects. It looks awful.

Might try TESO soon when it goes on sale again.
>>
>>376738845
>but if 5 million sales for TR 2013 is considered a failure, then you know something's not right

I imagine they're blowing too much money on marketing.
>>
>>376736452

>Meanwhile, as they gut and eliminate all of their Western-originated franchises into the ground, Square-Enix posted record-breaking profits this fiscal quarter

Deus Ex and Hitman were my late childhood. Hundreds, if not thousands, of hours on all the Hitmans and 17 runs of Deus Ex 1. I just want this industry to burn.
>>
>>376738745
I hope not.

I don't want an sjw reboot of freedom fighters.
>>
>>376738782
>he doesn't know
>HE DOESN'T KNOW
Japan is literally stupidity and pride incarnate.
I bet you don't even know that Square Enix's previous CEO had their ENTIRE FUCKING HQ nuked, went to a different city and build a new HQ and moved there ONLY BECAUSE A FUCKING - AND LISTEN TO ME ON THIS ONE - A FUCKING FORTUNE TELLER ON THE STREET TOLD HIM THAT THEIR CURRENT HQ GIVES OFF BAD JUJU VIBES

YES THAT IS AN ACTUALLY REAL STORY, LOOK IT UP
>>
>>376736452
>Just Cause 3 was apparently mandated by square to be an mp game first
JC3 was probably only made because JC2 blew up after the multiplayer mod.
>>
>>376738973
>>376738845
>>376737076

They're sinking all revenues from Western IPs into Final Fantasy.
>>
>>376739019
>my stories

i asked for quantitative data, not your gumshoe intuition
>>
File: Tin_foil_hat.jpg (56KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Tin_foil_hat.jpg
56KB, 320x240px
>What the fuck is going over there? They've seemed to fuck up or fuck with every western game they've released but pour millions into their own money pit of Final Fantasy.

I legitimately think they shuffled the numbers around to cover up Final Fantasy XV's disappointing sales.

Isn't it a little weird how IO was talking about what a success the new Hitman was for them? Everything seemed to be going smoothly, there was little indication that the game was a failure, Season 2 even got the greenlight. Then suddenly SquareEnix's fiscal report drops, and Final Fantasy XV and mobile gaming was a massive success, but almost everything outsourced was a disappointment. This is japanese corporate pride at play, the old executives at SE can't accept that Final Fantasy isn't the juggernaut it once was. They bet it all on XV, they can't have XV not be a massive success, it would make them look like incompetent fools.

FFXV didn't flop, but it sure as fuck didn't set the world on fire either; they're covering their tracks and making it look like it's hot shit when it isn't.
>>
>>376739140
>LITERAL FUCKING FACTS
>gumshoe intuition
Get cancer and die.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39374/This_week_in_Japanese_news_Square_Enix_to_Otome.php
http://gamingbolt.com/square-enix-relocating-headquarters
>>
>Enix and Eidos died for Square to live
>Square now stays afloat from Nomura titles
>Final Fantasy is refined liquid shit
>Kingdom Hearts is the world's worst fanfic
>Weebs, black people, and teenagers who get bullied are the target audience for both of these

Fuck this gay Earth
>>
>>376739250
>being this rustled over a request for sales figures

thanks for playing
>>
>>376739115
It makes sense. AAA game in constant development for a decade that never even stopped its marketing during that entire period must have been a gigantic money cruncher. Something that big absolutely can't be said to fail without a few heads rolling.
>>
>>376739187
>I legitimately think they shuffled the numbers around to cover up Final Fantasy XV's disappointing sales.
That's what they legitimately did.
Go into any GayStop or the like and you'll see FF15 warming shelves.

I can believe that it shipped 4 million copies, but said copies certainly didn't sell to customers, only to the stores where they are now warming shelves.
>>
>>376736452
>own money pit of Final Fantasy.

Pure japanese favoritism. The only "good" japanese square game was FF15 and that deeply undersold. Other "good" western games under the Square umbrella, which I might add sold better than their development costs, got canned.

Square CEO needs to quit or surround himself with people that know good games.
>>
>>376738595
How did these creatures become so successful?
>>
>>376739370
Indoctrination.
Working 12-14 hours a day is the norm for anyone that isn't a medium or higher tier salaryman.
And that doesn't factor in the 30-60 minute train rides to and from work every day.
>>
File: 1471463670513.jpg (17KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
1471463670513.jpg
17KB, 640x406px
>>376739293
I'm not even that anon but

>asks for proof
>gets proof
>"haha dont get so mad buddy"
>>
>>376739187

FF isn't the juggernaut anymore because they spend so much fucking money on the games, overpaying old and tired assholes that spend more time fucking around than doing anything efficiently, that the games always release as mediocre fucking messes.

I haven't had a lick of interest in FF since X. MAYBE XII, only because I enjoyed the fresh aesthetic that wasn't majorly influenced by Nomura's fucking Hot Topic craze, the ensemble cast, the beautiful world, and the graphical charm it had. Story was slow and a bit dry, but was a good game nonetheless.

Everything beyond that has been straight ass.
>>
>>376739370
By breaking the backs of the new generation. Japanese work culture is terrible.
>>
>>376739370
Try working 12 hours a day for 6 days straight and society being brainwashed from childhood that if they don't work super hard like this their country will collapse.
>>
They set unrealistic goals. They expected Tomb Raider 2013 to sell 5 million.
>>
>>376739474
>ask for sales figures
>they're insane and must be lying
>yeah but those sales figures tho
>HAHA KYS
>>
>>376738158
Pride probably. Japan is fucking insane nigaa, this is the country where people overwork themselves to death just do their boss wont look at them wrong.
>>
>>376739609
>expecting retro graphics to move 5 mil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dho-FCabHsw
>>
The Germans say that Io actually get to keep the rights to Hitman and that season 2 is on track for 2018
>>
>>376739696
How the fuck can we give you sales figures when they LITERALLY fucking refuse to release their sales figures for anything that isn't FF15 and for which they only give SHIPPED figures and not actual sales figures you fucking retard? Are you so fucking retarded that you can't put 2 and 2 together to see what's going on?
>>
>>376738547
>Didn't FFXIV become successful after they rebooted it?

Sorta?

It was a money pit sink for 2 years. Then after pouring more money into it, it was finally decent but it's like they started from Square1, pun intended. So where did the money for the complete over haul come from?

It came from Western IPs which were profitable, since FF13 wasn't selling and at this point in time FF15 wasn't even on the market. Yes, Square effectively used profitable western IPs to fuel their failed or under performing main line series.
>>
>>376739609
And then they made the sequel temporarily exclusive to a dead in the water console.
>>
>>376739609
You're mistaken anon. The game sold 4 million in 2013 alone, apparently 8.5 million by last year if PC Gamer is to be believed and was still considered a failure. I don't like that game or the sequel but even I must admit it sold fantastically.
>>
>>376739803
>tfw i will never get this mad over posts on a forum

hey, settle down.
>>
>>376739019
This guy is the CEO to end all CEOs.
No Lie, I'd hire him to run my company into the ground.
>>
remember when they killed grin? how is anyone surprised?
>>
>>376739936
>LOL I TROLLD U, U MAD?
FUCK YOU NIGGER PIECE OF SHIT FUCK YOU SO MUCH
>>
>>376736452
wow a company wants to focus on video games they know will make them money ! Shocking
>>
>>376736452
For Final Fantasy to succeed some games must fail.
>>
>>376737929
>Final Fantasy 15 is a failure

Source
>>
>>376740075
That's what we're talking about, why isn't Squeenix focusing on their franchises that are making money.
>>
>>376740227
Read the thread retard.
>>
>>376740227
It sold less than some of the FF games from the 1990s despite costing way more to make and having a much larger development window. The official sales expectations, which it cleared, were around the same as every AAA Square Enix game. That's their flagship franchise.
>>
File: 1463101114002.jpg (82KB, 900x508px) Image search: [Google]
1463101114002.jpg
82KB, 900x508px
Hello, I'm Squeenix's new Lightning.
Please love me.

By the way, thanks for the money from all those other actually good games, I gladly embezzled all of it in my financial black pit.
>>
>>376740115
Why hedge your bets into one IP?

One of the main reasons I'm disappointed is that we'll get no more japanese FMV sequences for western games.
>>
>>376739785
Well if that is true then its cool for them and good for us
>>
>>376740428
It's their flagship franchise. To admit that it failed and is now basically obsolete is to admit the same thing for their company as a whole.
>>
It's beginning.

>Squeenix decides the best way to make up for enormous losses on final fantasy is to make an even more expensive one
>doesn't have enough money for it so they sell off a few of their IPs
>start selling off more and more IPs and studios because nomoney
>FF fails AGAIN leading the corpse of the company now only in charge of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy to either fold or sell themselves off
>>
>>376739187
Because there's nothing wrong on IO's part. Squeenix just decided to pull out for their own reasons.
>>
>>376740428
>Why hedge your bets into one IP?
I don't know, why don't you ask Square? They killed the Mana franchise so that KH could get more attention, they keep sabotaging DQ in the west and need another fucking company to publish the thing here because they refuse to have it compete with FF

This is nothing new for the Square side of the company, they keep fucking up and who has to deal with the consequences are games that are not FF
>>
man they just have to wait for dragon quest to be released to recover all the losses
>>
File: 1482433909712.gif (236KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482433909712.gif
236KB, 500x500px
>>376739187

This guy is 100% correct. Think of it like this anons. You're the boss of a company. You can barely pay the up keep, so you HAVE to cut something. What do you cut? The BIG 20+ yr old project franchise that made you big in the first place or these dozens of mini but profitable projects?

Square is cutting their FF loses by canning western studios to reduce costs, in the hope that core Square franchises become profitable again in the future. They have FF 7remake, Kingdom Hearts 3 etc coming so it isn't a far fetched gamble.

They don't think it be but it do and that's how it be.
>>
>>376740771
And they will siphon all that money and put it into FF7 Remake: Now Split Into 3 or More Episodic Pieces Edition
>>
>>376740771
Do you think they like that? They just keep releasing it because it will save them and because fans will riot if they stopin japan I mean
>>
Man do I like cock.
>>
>>376740428
>Why hedge your bets into one IP?

For a variety of reasons and some of those are very logical. Problem is it hinges on one condition: your singular IP can't ever under-deliver or, god forbid, fail. This is why having your eggs in more baskets like Square used to during SNES and PS1 generations was a much better deal.
>>
You know, I can't think of any other japanese publisher with western developers.
>>
>>376740859
good to know
>>
>>376740895
Capcom. Maybe Sega?
>>
>>376740895
Capcom? Konami maybe
>>
>>376741026
>Konami maybe
They only had the LA studio which did MGO3, and said studio was disbanded the second the game came out.
>>
>>376741152
The guys who did the new Castlevania trilogy were italians I think
>>
>>376741249
They weren't owned by Konami, they were only contracted. And they're Spaniards.
>>
File: 1488086694297.jpg (37KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1488086694297.jpg
37KB, 500x384px
>>376740695
>they keep sabotaging DQ in the west and need another fucking company to publish

>No Dairy Queen on PC
>Sadfrog.jpeg

I think Dragon Quest would be perfect for pc. Dragon Quest sticks to the ol' timey formula and story elements better than FF. PC gamers, like myself, are aged, don't want to spend a lot on games and just want to relive the good ol' times. PC gamers are a niche, but we're a powerful niche for the right franchises and games. Good games released to pc are always profitable and continue to be so for many years after.
>>
>>376740317
By definition, that doesn't make it a failure.
>>
>>376741249
Spaniards my man.
>>
>>376740895
Capcapom...?
>>
>>376741365
There are 3 DQ games on PC and you can emulate all of them.
>>
>>376741408
Depends upon your definition. Something that makes a profit is not inherently a success. It took a lot of time, money and manpower to make FFXV and they poured money into all sorts of other media that I'm sure isn't being included in the cost.
>>
>>376741365
The chances of a DQ on pc are next to none since they make the game with the japanese in primary focus and since they either have a console or a nintendo handheld those are the only options they will consider.

Side games though, that can and does happen as we have seen with DQ Heroes
>>
>>376738489
>Deus Ex team is stuck working on a Marvel game now

feels bad man
Would've liked to see a third game with Adam Jensen
>>
>>376741704
I wouldn't, and I'm sure half the reason Mankind Divided flopped was precisely because they kept the same character, story and aesthetic. Prior to Mankind Divided, each Deus Ex was very different.
>>
>>376741581
This. If a project with more investment in it makes them same amount of sales as a smaller project with significantly less money invested in it, then both aren't failures but the bigger project is less of a success. In this case though, they're trying to spin things so it seems like everything else, despite meeting sales targets are a failure while FF15 isn't.
>>
>>376736452
>Deus Ex on hiatus
didn't we get MD like 6 months ago?
>>
>>376741875
Even a small project that doesn't sell anywhere near as much as the large project can still be a bigger success.
>>
>>376741972
Exactly.
>>
>>376741938
It's on hiatus because MD sold poorly.
>>
>>376742039
It's on hiatus because Eidos Montreal are tasked with making the Avengers game. No matter how much MD sold, it wouldn't be as big of a project as a Marvel collaboration.
>>
>>376741834
The story was as dumb as shit but I liked the aesthetics and gameplay, and towards the end there was a sense of urgency that never really paid off.
>>
>>376740810
hopefully after those nostalgia cash-ins the company will burn for it's failures.
>>
File: Pete.jpg (27KB, 399x600px) Image search: [Google]
Pete.jpg
27KB, 399x600px
Relevant to the thread, Peter Moore's time at SEGA during the dreamcast days.

>"I was going back and forth to Japan and I was just so angry with Sega that they didn’t see the stormclouds of what was happening in the industry,” said Moore, crediting turn-of-the-millennium technological advancements with enabling Hollywood-style cinematic production values — and more “mature” games like Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto 3.

>Moore recounted to Glixel his futile efforts to demonstrate to Sega of Japan that the company’s relevance was declining. Sega’s American division filmed a focus group in late 2001 or early 2002 to get opinions from “a bunch of 18-, 19-year-olds” on how they saw gaming companies. The teens characterized Sega as “your grandad,” said Moore. “Used to be cool, but even he can’t remember why anymore.”

>Next, Moore flew to Sega’s Japanese headquarters to present the data to executives and lead developers. As you might imagine, they were less than receptive:

>"Yuji Naka, Naka-san, maker of Sonic, is in the room. Now, he and I have a love/hate relationship on a good day. And we show him this, and it’s subtitled in Japanese, and when it comes to that piece he just [slams his hand on the table], ‘This is ridiculous. You have made them say this. Sega is the great brand, nobody would ever say this, you have falsified!’ He just gets in my face. So I said to the translator, ‘Tell him to fuck off.’ And the poor guy looks at me and says, ‘There's no expression in Japanese.’ I said, ‘I know there is.’ And that was it. That was the last time I ever set foot in there."
>>
File: Elazul_(LoM_Artwork).png (508KB, 595x786px) Image search: [Google]
Elazul_(LoM_Artwork).png
508KB, 595x786px
>>376740695
>They killed the Mana franchise so that KH could get more attention

Because studio most likely doesn't see it the same way players do. For someone, Legend of Mana was a game that defined their childhood. For Square it may have been a title with middling sales and modular nature that lead to a lot of wasted development most people never saw. There is generally no such thing as "cult classic" to a developer because they have to look at it from a financial standpoint.
>>
>>376742348
>Yuji Naka

Dude killed Sonic with his "What if Sonic was real?" stupidity.
>>
>>376738489
>Hitman guys will at least get to continue making season 2

Except I/o interactive doesn't have the right to IP anymore.
>>
>>376741834
Jensen is iconic, you can't just ditch your iconic character in the sequel and expect to do well. I'm miffed that the story won't ever be concluded like they clearly intended to.

In my eyes the ending for Jensen's character they were clearly always aiming for is with all his new abilities, at the end of the final game he would face some sort of augmented enemy/machine that would be so powerful he'd have to use 100% of all his augs at maximum energy to defeat them. Tis causes him to overheat and what's left of his human face/body would get burnt away like in his dreams where he is Icarus falling from the sky with melting wings.

You would probably be able to choose either to defeat the enemy by overcharging your abilities and losing your humanity, or sacrifice yourself with some sort of self destruct mechanism. So you either die, or you let the augmentations take over and turn you into something else.

It would be like the intro to the first game, except you literally would be asking for this if you chose to go full aug.

That's the only logical direction I could possibly see the game taking Jensen's story anyway.
>>
>>376742568
Leak was that they do and will most likely announce it next week, but we'll see.
>>
>>376742632
>Jensen is iconic, you can't just ditch your iconic character in the sequel and expect to do well.

I think this is exactly the basis of fear so many studios have now - everything needs to stand on familiar imagery and less on its own merit. Shit, one of the problems levied against Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 was that they were TOO much like their predecessors.
>>
>>376742632
>Jensen is iconic
He most certainly is not. He was in one game and was a reasonably popular protagonist.
>>
>>376742348
Japanese are retardedly deluded, super prideful people that make Vegeta look tame in comparison, more news at 11.
>>
>>376740895
Sega owns Creative Assembly
>>
>Tfw UFG died
>Tfw I actually kind of enjoyed Smash + Grab
It hurts.
>>
>>376742993
Apparently there's a Sleeping Dogs film as well as a live-action SONIC THE HEDGEHOG film in the works.
>>
>>376742857
He definitely is. He's one of the most recognizable gaming protagonists out there, with the likes of snake and big boss.

>>376742804
I'm not saying that all future deus ex games should feature Jensen. I think he should have have a trilogy of games which wrapped up his story and then if they wanted to make more Deus Ex games they could make another protagonist
>>
>>376736452
>They've seemed to fuck up

Depends on your definition of fucking up. The single thing they messed up on was the microtransaction cancer in MD but that shit is completely non-intrusive so it may as well not exist. Otherwise both Jensen Deus Ex games were good. Sleeping Dogs was good. They had budget, they had marketing. People gave zero fucks about these games anyway. You can't just keep churning out AAA games when no one is buying unless it's $10 on Steam.
>>
>>376743301
>He definitely is. He's one of the most recognizable gaming protagonists out there, with the likes of snake and big boss.
Oh Christ, get a hold of yourself. He was in one moderately successful and popular game. Snake's game practically popularized a genre and sold systems, and has been going for decades.
>>
>>376743416
>You can't just keep churning out AAA games
Sleeping Dogs was clearly made on a budget and it's PS2/Xbox roots are visible during the gameplay.
>>
File: 1421330541055.png (79KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
1421330541055.png
79KB, 250x238px
>>376743301
>He definitely is. He's one of the most recognizable gaming protagonists out there, with the likes of snake and big boss.

Anon, I think your own affection for the character is causing you to attribute a level of fame that simply isn't there.

Adam Jensen is not as big as Snake/Big Boss, not even close.
>>
>>376740630
This ends with Nintendo buying Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Nintendo hands the reigns of Final Fantasy to Mistwalker. Sakaguchi puts out one last title before handing it off to someone else who leads the series back into relevance.
>>
>What went wrong?
The merger.
>>
>>376743930
That was like a decade (or more) ago.
>>
>>376743494
lots of people who haven't played deus ex know who jensen is. His face, his voice and the "I never asked for this" line are all very iconic.

And frankly wierd robot cyborg guy with golden glasses and blades in his arms is more recognizable than a guy with an eyepatch/bandanna depending on which snake we're talking about. Not only that but as far as gaming icons go, I'd say snake isn't even that well known compared to other characers in his own game. Psycho mantis is probably way more well known as a character than snake and he's just a guy in a gas mask.
>>
>>376740895
nintendo has a few
>>
>>376744007
Yep. Nothing good since.
>>
>>376738489
>Deus Ex team is stuck working on a Marvel game now

This makes me legitimitely mad. I loved every second of Mankind Divided up until it ended way too soon. I thougth the main story was alright, but the side quests were actually really clever and itriguing. The Mystery Augs and the Helle missions in particular I absolutely loved. I feel like this game conveyed that sense of mystery better than anything I've ever played. I'm pretty fucking pissed we won't get to see a conclusion to Jensen's story and see what really happened after Panchea. So many great story concepts just thrown out the window because some greedy assholes with no artistic integrity thought they could make a bunch of extra bucks but just ended up fucking a good development studio over.
>>
>>376743705
>large open world game with cutting edge graphics and hollywood voice actors
>clearly made on a budget

Did we play the same game?
>>
>>376744061
Shut up, stop derailing the thread.
>>
>>376743732
I'm not saying he's as popular or that deus ex is as big as metal gear, I'm just saying his character design is very iconic and easily recognizable

There's not a whole lot of other games with guy in trenchcoats and golden sunglasses walking around
>>
>>376744142
>hollywood voice actors
They weren't the most expensive actors
>cutting edge graphics
Ehhh...but the gameplay and animations were from a PS2 era game. A super polished PS2 game.
>>
>>376742039
So after reading the thread I can't help but wonder whether it actually flopped or was it just another SE bullshit.
>>
>>376744390
Yeah ok son.
>>
File: diaper.jpg (96KB, 680x1379px) Image search: [Google]
diaper.jpg
96KB, 680x1379px
>>376744260
WAAAAA HE HAS A DIFFERENT 'PINION HE'S DERAILING THE THREAD EVEN THOUGH I'M THE ONE WHO STARTED DERAILING IT BY DISAGREEING WITH HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE

WAAAA I'M A BIG WHINY BABY WHO NEEDS A DIAPIIEEEE WAAAAAHHAAAA
>>
>>376744439
MD did actually flop due to the whole Denuvo + "Half a game sold at full price" shit which absolutely killed the game.
>>
>>376742348
>‘There's no expression in Japanese.’

There really isn't. The language revolves around people being polite to each other so the worst you can get is a very impolite expression.
>>
>>376739187
Didn't one of the lead Dev's for FFXV say they realised they made a mistake with the story and would try and release "something" (I forget if he said patch, or DLC) that would fill in plot holes or something?
>>
>>376744061
>>376744532
Yeah, you're definitely mentally ill, seek help.
>>
File: 1473598486817.jpg (111KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1473598486817.jpg
111KB, 500x625px
>>376736452
I don't consider sleeping dogs a worthy successor to true crimes.
>>
>>376744620
Yeah he said that the plot holes were intended because it was noctis story and hence, his perspective and we would get other peoples perspective that would fill the gigantic plot gaps through dlc

Aka, damage control
>>
>>376744694
>moooom call the mental health services someone is shitposting on the internet againnnn and they made funnn of meeeeeeeeeeee they're mentally illll

Please leave newfriendo :)
>>
I don't like Nier Automata but Square Enix refusing to have the game a proper DLC was pretty damn stupid.

Are they really fucking butthurt this AA JRPG was better received than FFXV?
>>
File: 1305471402923.png (102KB, 402x390px) Image search: [Google]
1305471402923.png
102KB, 402x390px
Hitman and Sleeping Dogs hurts
>>
so can someone tell me exactly how much fucking money SE sank into final fantasy? They had that shit movie nobody watched that must have cost a ton to produce, and the latest game took like 11 years to complete, and they're also making a remake of an old final fantasy?

That's got to be at least 200+ million down the drain. How much did the new deus ex and hitman cost? Surely it couldn't have been nearly as much.
>>
>>376745194
did anyone even play FFXV?

nobody watched the movie and I can't imagine anyone in the west got it when the characters looked like they belonged in a gay boyband
>>
>>376745298
>they're also making a remake of an old final fantasy?
This one isn't money down the drain. It's a guaranteed huge success regardless of quality.
>>
>>376745194
People are actually clamoring for DLC now? What the fuck happened?
>>
>>376745298
Wouldn't surprise me if they sank at least half a billion into XV.

They spent so much money on Spirits Within that it almost sank the whole company.
>>
>>376745604

Story based dlc like the witcher3. People are mad because what they got as 3 costumes and an arena for 15 bucks. And I cant believe people were pissed about DaS3s Ashes of Ariandel.

This one was just highway robbery
>>
>>376745439
yeah but they're sinking a shitton of money into it and they're making it episodic which will turn a lot of people off

>>376745626
wasn't spirits within a shitty movie unrelated to the fucking games
>>
>>376745892
>people were pissed about DaS3s Ashes of Ariandel.
what? that was great
>>
>>376736452
AAA development is fucked

No one has a clue what they're doing.

Something really needs to happen soon, and fast. It's spiralling out of control.
>>
>>376738595
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shiori_Ino

Wow that's pretty bad.
>>
>>376746240
Japan is weirdly backwards for a 1st world country with no religion.
>>
>>376746023

It was really short. But given the amount of stuff you could from it, it was a fair trade.
>>
>>376746464
>1st world
Only financially, certainly not culture-wise.
>>
>>376746054

Problem with Square Enix is thinking that theyre still on top of the world and that they could compete with gtav and cod if they just pour enough money into their own flagship game. They probably didnt get the memo that their fellow Jap companies are also hanging by a thread and scaling down production costs to stay afloat. mgsv alone almost killed Konami.
>>
>>376746569
>financially
Not for long, anon, their economy is fucked for like 20 years now.
>You will witness the influx of cute female japanese refugees in your lifetime
>>
>>376746850
>racemixing with disgusting slant eyes
Degenerate.
>>
>>376746850
Cartoons aren't real. Be prepared for some butt ugly motherfuckers.
>>
>>376746936
At this point I don't care. At least they all have cute seiyuu voices, right?
>>
>>376746823
meanwhile fromsoft is swimming in cash for pandering heavily to western audiences

nobody likes weebshit anymore
>>
>>376747189
>At least they all have cute seiyuu voices, right?

They make me sick.
>>
>>376746936
Japaneses at their worse look way better than Whites at their worse. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>376747394
Same was the case for me two years ago. Japanese VA is an acquired taste, just like beer and grand strategy games.
>>
>>376736997
Well they did, but shirt down the MP a while ago

JC3 MP never
>>
File: 1491332509279.jpg (181KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1491332509279.jpg
181KB, 640x480px
I wish Square never bought out Enix
Enix was always good
>>
>>376747838
rip soul blazer and actraiser
>>
File: 1474211091787.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1474211091787.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>376747838
Was there ever a good corporate acquisition within the game industry? One who actually benefited the player?
>>
File: top-50-video-game-makers_hal.jpg (94KB, 628x360px) Image search: [Google]
top-50-video-game-makers_hal.jpg
94KB, 628x360px
>>376747989
Yes

Oddly enough almost every studio that Nintendo bought out turned out for the better
>>
>>376747459
ok?

>>376747592
No, they still make me sick. I love the old 90s/80s dub of anime.
>>
>>376747798
*shut down
>>
>>376747989

I dont know, but Sega Europe acquiring Creative Assembly and Relic at least secured that strategy games on pc have a future. I mean DoW3 is ass, but there might still be hope for expansions.
>>
>>376748086
its especially strange since most of their 3rd party collaborations are total disasters
>>
>>376748217
Don't they also own Amplitude?
>>
>>376737929
They said FF15 sold more than they expected and they just posted their best profits since 2010.

Hitman didn't sell as well as they wanted. If you have a team make a game like Hitman that is widely agreed as being a great game yet it fails to sell then what more can you possibly do with it, there's no potential for growth. It's not surprising they cut it.
>>
File: wp3_1920x1080.jpg (683KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wp3_1920x1080.jpg
683KB, 1920x1080px
>>376748282
I thought this was pretty successful but you're right. Shit like Other M and Star Fox Zero were total abominations.

Which is really weird, because Nintendo used to help 3rd parties develop games back in the day and they ended up being amazing instant classics. I think it's because Miyamoto just doesn't have it in him anymore. The new generation of Nintendo is fucking rocking it though.
>>
>>376748424
>They said FF15 sold more than they expected
That's because their expectations were like 5 million, which is pathetic for a game like Final Fantasy. They knew it was a flop so they set their sights low at the last minute so it would look successful to disinterested shareholders.
>>
>>376748309

i think they bought out Amplitude, yeah. maybe Sega PC wants to issue challenge to Firaxis and Paradox while desperately hoping the dumbass old men who run Sega Japan don't notice the fact they're doing what sega don't--MAKING GAMES AND MONEY.
>>
File: 20170117204505_1.jpg (786KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170117204505_1.jpg
786KB, 1920x1080px
>>376747798
Dude, JC3MP has been a thing for a few months now.
>>
>>376744620
>>376745072
he literally ripped off Kojima's concept for Phantom Pain

amazing
>>
>>376740317
The brand's been hurting for nigh on 15 years and XV's development was a legendary shitshow. The fact that the game and sales were mediocre in the end is a miracle, honestly.
>>
>>376749560
Not really. Marketing will always cover a certain distance.
>>
>>376745604
The director wanted a new scenario.
Square gave them enough budget for some costumes.
>>
>>376748424
Hitman did sell well enough though, it got a second season greenlit and the devs were talking about its success
>>
>>376749705
Tell that to 13-2 and 3, 14 1.0, Battleborn, and countless other overjoyed games that hit the millions but not their quotas.

Marketing matters, but you don't get numbers like XV's on marketing alone. Adequacy and actual consumer interest is what pushes you past 2-3M.
>>
>>376750156
The FF13 sequels were much better than FFXV.
>>
Whats fucking embarassing is that Kingsglaive was a flop. It got outpaced by late night anime movies. I dont think it even broke 100m yen.
>>
>>376750426
There was no appetite for a movie that existed purely to market a game that wasn't even out yet, and which was made from elements cut from the actual game.
>>
File: 250394.gif (48KB, 469x200px) Image search: [Google]
250394.gif
48KB, 469x200px
>>376746823
>Mfw at how much asshurt it probably causes to the chinky nip pride at square enix to see their four faggots on a road trip simulator get so utterly BTFO by GTA 5, a game made by a non japanese company.

Get fucked, rice munchers.
>>
File: 1473244187961.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
1473244187961.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>376736452
>Sleeping Dogs 2 dead
>Deus Ex on hiatus
Fuck me, and to think Deus Ex was canned for some capeshit trash
>>
>>376750554
Do they even understand why the GTA games are so popular?
>>
I liked the FFXV web anime. It was fun.
>>
>>376750664
Nope, Japan has a hard time understanding all sorts of western game mechanics. They didn't even know why people wanted to control the camera with the right analog for the entirety of the previous decade.
>>
>>376750354
Not sure what that has to do with the fact that the 13 trilogy poisoned the well in terms of public opinion. LR's ending was a laughingstock.
>>
>>376750664
I dunno but those arrogant motherfuckers sure as shit seem to think final fantasy can pull GTA numbers like the early PS2 days/FFX era.
>>
>>376740227
The source is they made 2.5 different games out of it during its development, and only made enough money back to break even on one of them. Same shit that destroyed Bioshock Infinite's returns despite high sales and universal acclaim.
>>
Eidos Montreal killed Deus Ex, MD is very, very forgettable, and fails to improve on all kinds of issues HR have, at its best it just feels like HR 1.5, the problem is that HR had issues, it needed some major changes, like the takedown system.

Their cinematic takedown crap is some of the worst in games, it just breaks the flow of the game having to watch those same animations over and over and over. While I'm not a fan of takedowns overall, the way games like Far Cry 3 do it at least don't feel like a slog after doing it more than 3 times.
>>
>>376736452
From what I understand the western division of SE is headed by business tools, SE Europe in particular. For instance from there came some of the questionable marketing decisions regarding DeusEx:MD, like the tacked on MP component. So basically, the western branch is lead by people who're not into the product they're selling and don't understand the negative impact their decisions can have on the "product". To them, selling games and selling bread or a tennis racket are the same thing.
>>
japanese game corporations are absolutely the most cancerous. they would make a jew blush
>>
>tfw no Sleepy Doges 2
>>
>>376743245
>a live-action SONIC THE HEDGEHOG film in the works.
What the fuck is wrong with Japan?
>>
>>376738595
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Shiori_Ino
why wouldn't the family just go to the yakuza to deal with the scum, after being brushed off by police?
>>
I think in the next decade, Square Enix will be completely fucked.

>Final Fantasy 14 was a complete disaster that took probably 10s of millions of dollars to "fix"
>Final Fantasy 15 was a disaster that shipped a lot of units, but definitely didn't sell them. Not to mention they wasted time and money on the Xbone port that probably only sold like <10% of the total units.
>KH3 is still in development hell, probably wont be out until 2020 and will likely bomb since PS4 will be long past its peak and a new system will have been announced by then. Xbone port will bomb as well, wasting time and money.
>Mobile isn't growing at the rate it was a few years ago and has basically stabilized.
>FF7:R should have happened years ago, and they changed everything about it into Kingdom Hearts anyway.
>All their western franchises are bombing and the studios gutted.

The only series they have left that is still a consistently huge seller is DQ, but even that has its limits. PS4 is stillborn in Japan and the 3DS is on its last legs. Vita is ded with no successor in sight and Switch has only begun to try and save the Japanese market.

I think SE will be the first big Japanese company to really start crumbling in the modern era.
>>
>>376753108
ok
>>
>>376751284
What took down DE:MD wasn't a single thing. The gameplay was one of the better ingredients, all things considered. It was lots of little decisions that ultimately made most people think of it as a "maybe when it's on a sale" kind of title. The retarded preorder campaign started it off, the decision to add the treadmill multiplayer that no one wanted, so they can ultimately introduce microtransactions, like EA did with ME3. Adding microtransactions in the actual game, though mostly as an afterthought, served to conjure up more negative publicity. One-time-use items sold as DLC. The decision to cut the original concept into 3 games didn't go over well either, especially when people felt like the story hasn't even started once the reached the ending. One hub, when the original's appeal was that globetrotting conspiracy spy adventure with a multitude of locations didn't go over well either. Didn't even get started on the usual technical problems at launch, though those served mostly as funny youtube video fuel.

The sum of all of it simply pushed the title out of the "must play it now" area. Retarded decisions all around. The cinematic takedown is a relatively minor complaint considering how much the game and the marketing shat its bed in other areas.
>>
>>376742348
>‘There's no expression in Japanese.’ I said, ‘I know there is.’ And that was it.
BASED PETER MOORE
>>
>>376750554
Tbh I wouldn't be suprised if they were so delusional that they don't think the rest of the world markets matter. It'd be funny if all they took away from this was "sales are lower worldwide so we need to focus on appealing to the domestic market more"
>>
>>376752867
they'd be in deeper shit being in debt to them.
>>
>>376749560
Is it possible they're making a lot of money of merchandising/spin-off rights? If japs buy useless trinkets in bulk it's possible it's actually pulling in decently more money than sales figures show.
>>
>>376751985
this here definitely is part of it
the western branches of SE are led by absolute morons
>>
>>376754152

Yes. Thats how waifu games like Neptunia survive.
>>
>>376753108
Don't forget staff morale. SE got humbled by Atlus critical reception of Persona 5, which was still released on last gen and localized worldwide. Persona 5 was made by around 80 devs, FF15 took hundreds and the critical reveption coulf not be any wider between the two.

Meanwhile FF15 carried the stigma of what could have been as FF13 Versus, not saying that its fair or not to them but the crown jewel in the hardcore community doesnt fit Square anymore.

More people should quit Square than work for assholes who keep going in a steep quality decline.
>>
File: file.png (12KB, 447x378px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
12KB, 447x378px
>>376739187
I believe this.
>>
>>376742568
Io has owned some percentage of Hitman since its inception. What is likely to happen now since Square is bleeding so much money they hit the emergency FF7 reboot button, is to sell Hitman as a whole with Io that owns the rest of the franchise

Surveys for Hitman just went out 3 weeks ago via email so why would Square waste that time if they are getting rid of them? Io is still in control of Hitman to some extent
>>
>>376738158
no shamefur dispray
>>
>deus ex on hiatus

No, just go ahead and say it's dead too.

Don't sugarcoat it, we all know that shit is dead.
>>
>pack of smelly japs who are used to doing everything the exact same way theyve done for decades
>try to be versatile and adapt to modern trends
>fuck it all up

i dont think im missing anything here
>>
>>376757046

real shame too, those guys could make something special if their resources werent split to make shitty multiplayer modes
>>
Second video game crash when.
It's almost all either a good chunk of AAA vidya crashing and burning on account of unreasonably high budgets/sales expectations or indie shiet, 80% being either lazy and/or a scam. There seems to be almost no middle ground any longer.
>>
Square are using the western development studios as scapegoats for the fuckups their own Japanese studios are guilty of.
>>
>>376744593
It's on sale now for 15 bucks on steam and this whole half game shit has me thinking it's still too expensive. Especially if it ended on some kind of cliffhanger.
>>
>>376736452
Rumor is Ubisoft was looking to buy SE, so they're trying to make some quick cash to buyback some shares and avoid a hostile takeover.

Ironically, Vivendi is looking to buy Ubisoft. So this could turn into an enormous clusterfuck.
>>
Square lets people like Nomura have way too much power
>>
>>376738595
The cops also tend not to investigate crimes they think they may not be able to solve. Many murders are labelled as accidental deaths.
>>
>>376743930
It's true. Enix used to be great and Square used to be great. Who would have thought blending two great things together would have ended up making something so awful?
>>
>>376738158
To think same people revolutionized production by introducing Kanban system into supply chain...
>>
>>376742348
that guy is eternal or what, he looks the same today
>>
>>376743416
>Sleeping Dogs had marketing
Did they? I don't recall there being much hype over it
>>
>>376757997

I wouldn't say half a game, its absolutely worth 15 dollars.
>>
>>376758176
Kingdom Hearts is great and sells a lot so Nomura deserves it
>>
>>376759161
Kingdom Hearts only sells because of nostalgia and Disney. Even then it's mainly the latter that makes the series a success.
>>
>>376739562
Damn amd I thought my 8 hours + 30 minutes break for five days were shitty.
>>
>>376758216
Does this mean there are a lot of serial killers who get away with it in Japan?
>>
>>376739019
Reminds me of the guy who had a billion dollar home built but decided to not use it because he thought it was cursed. Rich ass curryflurry could've improved so many lives in his shithole country with that money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053231/Worlds-expensive-house-Antilia-Mumbai-lies-abandoned.html
>>
>>376759161
KH3 is going to fail no one likes Hot Topic shit anymore. What's the point of releasing a sequel eleven years later? Also releasing those subpar games in between KH2 and KH3 to make a quick buck is going to backfire on them now
>>
>>376759623
People who played KH2when it came out are still mad that the opening didn't make sense because they didn't play the in between games on other systems. Add in however many games have been since KH2 and you're going to have a lot of people that are going to say "fuck it" and not buy it.

I know I won't. That story is convoluted mess and I'm an old man now so Disney means nothing to me.
>>
>>376736452
Japs burn others to mitigate for their own fuckups. Pic related, they killed all those studios just to make up for King Fuck Up here.
>>
>>376758062
So we have one fish trying to eat a bigger fish who's running away from another bigger fish?
>>
>>376759857
Explain yourself why you think this is his fault.
>>
>>376759623
>We want to expand the story
That's what Nomura said but most of the games released after KH2 sucked and were obvious cash grabs.
>>
File: 20170511202113_1.jpg (544KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170511202113_1.jpg
544KB, 1920x1200px
>shut down IO Interactive
>not Eidos Montreal

Look, I liked Mankind Divided. But Deus Ex was never meant to be a franchise. Hitman has actual potential and the model started working the longer they kept it running.

Fuck SE.
>>
>>376759845
>People who played KH2when it came out are still mad that the opening didn't make sense because they didn't play the in between games on other systems
To be fair I don't recall any ads for CoM.
>>
>>376759928
Explain why the studios who carried SE through their terrible years get axed while the guy who's responsible for 1/3 of their problems still gets to keep their job.

Japs clearly look out for their own and would sooner liquidate their western division before blaming their own. Apparently having your name in the FF7 credits grants you an abundance of free passes.
>>
>>376760021
They were both fine, fuck you.
>>
File: Nomura_KH.jpg (310KB, 1667x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Nomura_KH.jpg
310KB, 1667x2000px
>>376759623
>KH3 is going to fail no one likes Hot Topic shit anymore
TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW. But seriously this guy even dresses like his characters
>>
>>376760273
Even his fellow Japs complain about Nomura's ego
>>
>>376760273
>Get your dream game taken away from you out of nowhere after an intense and exausting developing period
>Still expected to handle 2 more flagship tittles
>Even so still painted as the bad guy

fuck off.
>>
AGENT 305

MR WORLDWIDE

/DALE/
>>
>>376759623
>KH3 is going to fail no one likes Hot Topic shit anymore.

Yeah people said the same thing about Suicide Squad and it still made money despite critics on their knees begging people to not see this movie. Hate KH3 you want, but that faggots like disney shit and FF stuff. Idiots still buy shit, i know that may seem to be a surprise to you, but here we are.
>>
>>376744068
I believe they only have Retro Studios. They have close ties with Next Level Games and some others.
>>
>>376760552
Nomura changed his mind on a god damn whim, and even the artist for the game confirmed this. Fuck off. There was no clear vision at the game's infancy and he wanted a god damn trilogy?
>>
>>376760552
It's actually more like this KHfag
>Be Nomura
>Be on FF7 development team
>Now allowed to do whatever the fuck he wants
>Everyone has to clean up after him he fails to deliver on his game
>Gets off scot free and is rewarded with the director position for two anticipated games
>A few years since the games were announced and all he has to show for it are a couple of screenshots
I have no idea why you're acting like it's a bad thing to be given important projects
>>
>>376744934

Sleeping dogs is an Amazing game
>>
>>376760552
Nomura had no idea what he was doing. Why don't actually look at some news for once? Seriously Nomurafags have developed a cult of personality around him just like Kojimafags did with Kojima
>>
>>376757997
It is longer than the other Deus Ex games - are people who say it's half a game memeing? There's more to MD than the main story, much more.
>>
>>376760773
>>376761031
>>376761213
embarasingly ignorant.
>>
>>376752867

Families frequently DO rely on the Yakuza in Japan, and it's a real problem. When people are relying on human traffickers down to a social level, bad shit happens.
>>
>>376761279
Hilariously retarded
>>
>>376736452
tfw all eidos will make now is womb raider and capeshit
>>
>>376736452
wtf you talking about they just released mankind divided how is that hiatus. they cant pump out deus ex games
>>
Bethesda should buy up all of their studios and IPs if Square doesn't want them.

Say what you will about Bethesda's published games (not the ones they develop), but they're good about giving people a big budget to do whatever the fuck they want
>>
>What the fuck is going over there? They've seemed to fuck up or fuck with every western game they've released but pour millions into their own money pit of Final Fantasy.

Lol no. Much of the reason FF has suffered is because of all the investment in western IP. Thief was a massive waste of money with just a token shit game pushed out the door at the last minute. Sleeping Dogs was originally True Crime and cancelled by activision and Square picked it up cheap. Hitman has never performed that well despite a lot of investment. Square Enix sucks at managing their western companies because they are so far away they just suck up funds for years with little oversight and at the end release a half-assed project. Most obvious case of this was thief. Even tomb raider was like this.

Why not make a really good parasite eve or a really good mana game instead
>>
>>376736452
yea but ffxv sold 6m
unlike western garbo
>>
>>376739904
MS had pay millions for that tho. it was a way of making a profit and recover the shit ton of money wasted on marketing the TR2013.
>>
>>376757554

Honestly it might go down when the rest of the world economy does within the next few years: when China's real estate bubble bursts.
>>
>>376761726
>Why not make a really good parasite eve or a really good mana game instead
Those IPs are dead. Mana was killed for KH
>>
>>376744614

I can promise you that my Japanese wife has yelled "SHINE!" at me if she gets angry enough
>>
>>376739327
14 keeps the lights on
>>
>>376761279
>lol so ignorant!
were you too busy sucking nomura's dick dry to provide a compelling counterargument?
>>
>>376758062
I thought it was hard as fuck for foreigners to buy a japanese company, that's why MS couldn't get Capcom
>>
>>376738595

>my wife was born in Osaka so she actually defends this shit

I understand pride in your home culture and everything, but god fucking damn.
>>
>>376739327
How can people say square is about Japanese favoritism when they have spent most of their investment on setting up the European side of the company and support like 5 different western studios. If they wanted to, they invest far more in the Japanese side of the compny. They have been more than patient with the hitman team, tomb raider team, dues ex team, even the thief team. Meanwhile they relegated half heir Japanese IP to phone shit. Fact is, their western IP is a mixed bag and some of them don't perform that well. Even though tomb raider sold quite a bit, the costs and development time led to them only breaking even. If anything, they've been exhibiting western favoritism and soaking up the Japanese phone industry to support western triple A games when the limited popularity of a western IP like say hitman doesn't warrant a triple A budget.
>>
>>376750554
Skyrim, COD, God of war and GTAV. just look at the shit show that happened last gen and in the start of this this one to replicate those games while not understanding why those games sell.
>>
>>376762815
>Fuck these western games don't sell 10 million copies
>What failures
SE has unreasonable sale expectations
>>
>>376738595
I understand what you mean but this is the same company that axed Tanaka over FF14, took it on the chin and started over.

That said, I think they sortve purposefully messed up FFXV by letting Tabata take the lead, so that Nomura could come out looking more pristine. Tabata could get the game out but not without a massive cost in quality, but it was a trade off because Nomura would've taken an extra year. This way they could use Tabata as a fall guy while getting the product out.
>>
>>376763850
Is Nomura the Kojima of SE?
>>
>>376747189
>At least they all have cute seiyuu voices, right?
the "cute seiyuu voices" doesn't sound like the japanese female voice at all. those are voices used to be otaku bait.
I remember a reading that a Producer had to constatly tell the seyuus to stop doing "otaku voices" for a show or something.
like "they are all doing the same fucking voice type" kind of bad
>>
>>376736452
the western studios are making the Avengers.
>>
>>376763985
Please tell me what show and which producer. Sounds pretty based.
>>
>>376758658
I remember Xplay talking the shit out of it well before launch. I never watch TV so I don't know if there ever ads.
>>
>>376760552
go fucking kill yourself.
Nomura couldn't even write the damn story of versus/xv until the game got rebranded.
probably was jerking off to theGazette, larc en Ciel and Phantamasgoria on his office.
He should only stick to Art direction and character designer since most of the games he worked before KH was with art related segments.
what saved KH's life is the battle system. it is thanks to Yuuichi Kanemori (KH1) and Mitsunori Takahashi (KH2 and Dissidia games on psp). those two that made KH playable
>>
>>376764128
seems to be a gunfam show
"Gundam creator expresses disappointment over current state of anime voice acting"
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/08/28/gundam-creator-expresses-disappointment-over-current-state-of-anime-voice-acting/
>>
>>376765635
That show had the same type of voice acting all other anime has. Tomino does have a point though, the industry wants seiyuu who all sound the same.
>>
>>376761784
I hope the irony of this post is self-evident enough that I don't have to point it out.
>>
>>376763763
Doesn't Square have exclusive jap distribution of CoD tho?
>>
Release a fixed version of FFXV on PC.
>>
>>376759354
Japanese criminal statistics are screwy as fuck in every direction because people don't report and because the police misfile them, this is no secret
>>
File: 1417636096944.png (382KB, 700x475px) Image search: [Google]
1417636096944.png
382KB, 700x475px
>>376760354
I don't know why i'm surprised that the man obsessed with adding belts to his characters has belts everywhere in his clothing
>>
>>376737929
Are you meaning to tell me that EIDOS or any of those studios could've bought themselves out or even buy SE?
>>
>>376766024
It's not just the female seiyuus either.

I swear that every seiyuu in Japan is trained to fit an archetype (all genki girls sound the same, all manly men sound the same etc.).
>>
>>376763850
>purposefully messed up FFXV by letting Tabata take the lead
We both know thet FFXV would still be on development right now Nomura was still on charge.
>>
>>376761726
>Why not make a really good parasite eve or a really good mana game instead
Because PArasite Eve got killed in the most retarded attempt at reboot possible by the fuckers who gave us FF13&15, the game itself got through a bunch of major rewrites and was just two half finished games glues together and you can actually see how the game completely changes its tone half way with a time skip that makes no sense, boss battles that don't exist but the characters act like they happened, and the worlds most stupid twist just to kill the MC and put another in her place so they could launch the franchise that way

And the Mana series will never be actually relaunched because they don't want any actions game to compete with KH so the best it will ever get is some shitty mobile port of version
>>
>>376760354
take off that kurt cobain shirt reee
>>
You can tell who the retards are by them saying FFXV is the big money pit, not FFXIV including A Realm Reborn.
>>
>>376766024
well, if the actors can't do "non-akihabara" bait voices for shit might as well just roll with it since 99% of older seiyuus are retired. Tomino still has a point. Naze's seiyuu in IBO for exemple, used the same tone he used to voice Yuri (vesperia) and any other work.
>>
Anyone notice how Japanese companies have collectively fucked up, whilst Western publishers have gone from strength to strength?

Capcom, Konami, Square Enix have all fucked up. Its only Nintendo, Sony and Namco that actually understand how to make money.
>>
they decided to kill every other franchise and pour the money back into FFXIV

i hope
Thread posts: 295
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.