[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the best metroidvania of the last few years?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 22

File: header.jpg (82KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
82KB, 460x215px
Is this the best metroidvania of the last few years?
>>
No, its the best metroidvania of all time
>>
File: Hollow Knight Eating a Cherry.png (153KB, 617x728px) Image search: [Google]
Hollow Knight Eating a Cherry.png
153KB, 617x728px
Yes, absolutely.
>>376724820
Now let's not get ahead of ourselves. In its current state, it's amazing, but it's not a throne-breaker.
Let's wait and see what the content-complete version is like.
>>
It belongs to upper echelons of metroidvanias overall, and way more than overhyped shit like La-Mulana.
>>
Easily.
>>
>>376724754

No doubt about it.
>>
>>376724754
Yup
>>
>>376724975
Fuck off, it doesn't even scratch LM outside of production values.
>>
>>376724975
Wait La-mulana is overhyped? I almost never hear people talk about it. It's more puzzle based than most metroidvanias so I can understand why some might not like it but personally I thought it was fantastic.
>>
File: rabiribi.jpg (62KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
rabiribi.jpg
62KB, 460x215px
This is.
>>
>>376725647
It shits all over LM in terms of map complexity, movement, combat, customization, bosses, and that's without annoying puzzles that don't belong to the genre.
>>
Should I play Salt & Sanctuary? I liked Dark Souls
>>
>>376725737
Weebshit with no depth or substance.
>>
File: 20170304230219_1.jpg (144KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170304230219_1.jpg
144KB, 1920x1080px
>>376724754
I loved it. It was a long time since a game made me want to explore it at its fullest (leaving AM2R outside)
>>
>>376725916

Oh yes. If you can ignore the strangely horrendous character models, the rest - including the enemies. - are pretty cool. And it is bound to kick your ass as cheaply as any Souls game.
>>
>>376725916
Sure.

>>376725737
You only say that because of cute girls. Sorta like with Shantae. It is decent, but nothing great.
>>
>>376724967

Is there going to be more?
GIVE ME MORE
>>
I'm excited for the Dlc.
>>
>>376725916
Meg, it's kinda shitty and annoying at times, feel free to drop it. The final boss is generic when it could have been great with the buildup
>>
>>376726135
Yes, there's going to be at least 2 more, probably minor, campaigns.
>>
Waiting on new content so that I can replay it. 9/10
>>
Honestly I loved it. The platforming shit in White Palace was cool, you don't usually see that kind of stuff in Metroidvanias. Same with any of the jump cancelling puzzles with the armored enemies.
>>
>>376725897
>map complexity
Oh you are fucking joking.
>movement, combat, customization, bosses
All of those aspects are well-balanced in LM so that the game can still be challenging even if you have every powerup in the game, unlike most games in the genre, this one being no exception.
>and that's without annoying puzzles that don't belong to the genre.
Those puzzles are an excellent addition to the genre that fit perfectly, just because you rage quit at the Gate of Illusion or whatever doesn't mean they're bad. You just suck.
>>
If I liked Rabi-Ribi for its dificulty and really fun bosses, would I like this game?
>>
>>376726270

That is a horrible suggestion.
The game is excellent to play if you are into Dark Souls games and is by no means "annoying" or "shitty" enough to be discarded from the pile, when the pile of quality souls games is small as it is.
>>
>>376726135
>>376724967
yes pls more
>>
>>376726017
>implying you even played it

>>376726047
Shantae is mediocre, this is great. The girls have nothing to do with it.
>>
>>376726032
SLUT
>>
>>376726363
>Oh you are fucking joking.
Oh no. Both levels themselves and overall world structure in HK is MILES ahead of LM.
It also actually feels like a cohesive world, not a combination of random throwbacks to different cultures.
>All of those aspects are well-balanced in LM
Well-balanced to induce a massive boredom, i agree with you.
La-Mulana is one of the worst metroidvanias when it comes to combat and movement. I also don't remember a single metroidvania with such a poor weapon and sub-weapon balance. Axe alone removes virtually any challenges present to you in the entire game, and thanks to how easy it is to stack money and buy yourself ammo for revolver, anything on your way becomes a total joke.
Meanwhile HK offers flexible customization via charms, simple yet extremely well-balanced magic/healing system, useful charge attacks, meaningful upgrades, etc.
>Those puzzles are an excellent addition to the genre
Play in any good quest and feel ashamed of yourself.
>>
Probably the best game I've played in the last several years

Beats everything released this year so far easily
>>
just 1 weapon is a bit of a fucking whiff for me, but its pretty damn good otherwise.

also La Mulana is a far more complex game than Hollow Knight, they aren't particularly comparable.
>>
File: Zote_Circle.png (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Zote_Circle.png
33KB, 300x300px
>>376726032
>tfw I saved Zote, ruining my chance to get the best ending
>>
>>376726045
Git gud.
>>
>>376725737

I really hope this post is ironic
>>
>>376727529
The best ending is living by the fifty seven precepts of Zote.
>>
>>376727529
leaving Zote alive change the endings? I finished neutral and good, I don't know how they could be changed
>>
>>376727378
Should I play La Mulana? The indiana jones setting doesn't really appeal to me and I heard there's perma missable stuff.
>>
>>376727715
No, i think he mean getting cucked is not the best ending for him
>>
>>376727851
It's okay at best, just try it out and see if you like it
>>
>>376726915
Nah, the layout of LM is actually quite interesting to explore and the sheer open endedness is much higher than HK, plus the way the lore is expanded upon as you solve the puzzles works really well. That's not to say HK's is bad, it just isn't as good by any means.
>Axe alone removes virtually any challenges present to you in the entire game
It's good for some enemies and some bosses, it doesn't trivialise anything apart from maybe the first handful of bosses. Tiamat and Mother are far more challenging than anything in HK or pretty much any Metroidvania boss in general. I don't believe you beat either, incidentally.
>thanks to how easy it is to stack money and buy yourself ammo for revolver
Oh wow, you're one of those guys who actually farmed money for the revolver ammo? Holy fuck that's pathetic.
>Play in any good quest and feel ashamed of yourself.
???
No. Get some fucking taste or piss off.
>>
How is it compared to Hyper Light Drifter? I need more punchy, slasher games.
>>
>>376727851
do you like puzzles and slowly unlocking paths and abilites to get towards the ending?

the Indiana Jones theme isn't as prevalent as the main plot, which is far more intresting than it starts out as.

its a game where you really really need to ahve a little notebook for drawings and notes.
>>
>>376726270
>>376726606
I did not like it at all (not the guy you are responding to). I picked it up after beating Hollow Knight. While it does have some fun bits it is annoying to play, much more so than dark souls or Hollow knight. You have gold that you lose every time you die regardless of whether or not you recover your corpse "salt" (souls). So dying over and over becomes insanely frustrating in S&S as opposed to in souls were you can always just go get your souls back. The lore is interesting but no where near as fleshed out as souls or even hollow knight
>>
>>376724967
Name One/Uno/Un/Ein/Ichiban (1) better Metroidvania.
>>
>>376728271
Super Memetroid
>>
>>376728112
It feel more grounded and the plot is nice, can't explain it well but i enjoy it more then HLD.
>>
>>376727991
>sheer open endedness is much higher than HK
I don't think you realize how open HK is.
It also rewards exploration way more than LM with its lame half-assed secondary weapons.
>It's good for some enemies and some bosses
No, it straight fucking BREAKS the game. It's the best weapon simply because of wide overhead arc it does, needs no upgrades to stay powerful for the entire game and is specifically good against endgame bosses like Mother.
>Tiamat and Mother are
Absolute fucking pushovers. I'm sorry anon, any HK boss beats them in terms of gameplay complexity and dream or endgame bosses obliterate them as far as challenge goes.
>Oh wow, you're one of those guys
>Get some fucking taste
Calm down, child.
>>
>>376727851
It's considered one of the best games in the genre for very good reason. That said it's also very divisive, which is why you can get responses like >>376724975 and >>376727984. There's a lot of stuff you have to figure out for yourself (actually taking notes is highly recommended) and it's a lot more cryptic than your standard Metroidvania, so it might not be for you if you're concerned about permanent missables. Depending on how you feel about it and your approach, you'll find either a really engrossing experience unlike most other games or have one of the most frustrating experiences ever. Or both. It really kind of depends on you.
>>
>>376728271
>Symphony of the night
That was hard
>>
>>376727851
Fucking awful as metroidvania. It's more of a puzzle game. Treat it that way.
>>
>>376728339

Not even the best 2D Metroid
>>
>>376728443
not really anymore, for its time it was absolutely groundbreaking.

but now its very boring to play cause its so fucking easy.
>>
>>376728403
>I don't think you realize how open HK is.
I don't think you know how open LM is.
>It's the best weapon simply because of wide overhead arc it does
It's also slower which makes it less useful in a dozen different situations.
>is specifically good against endgame bosses like Mother.
It's really only okay against Mother and even then on only a couple of forms. If you'd actually fought her you'd know that.
>Absolute fucking pushovers. I'm sorry anon, any HK boss beats them in terms of gameplay complexity and dream or endgame bosses obliterate them as far as challenge goes.
Not only are you wrong, you also lost all credibility when you admitted to having to farm gold for Revolver rounds. Given that the Revolver doesn't even work on Tiamat, I don't believe you actually beat her or the game. Sorry you're such a shitter, but it isn't my problem.
>>
>>376724754
The metroidvania genre needs to die.
>>
>>376724754
hollow knight is trash
>hit enemy
>stutter
>get hit because the frames contaning the information that I was being attacked were stuttered away
>>
how do i beat the true last boss? I'm having some issues with his second phase
>>
>>376728697
Finished it a few months ago and became one of my top favorit games.

Sure you have too big arsenal of strong attacks but the whole game is such a fucking beautiful adventure, hollow knight just can't come close to it with it's minimalistic artstyle even if it's challenge is better designed.
>>
>>376728271
SM
Zero Mission
SotN
Aria of Sorrow
La-Mulana

Probably a fair few others, really.

>>376728697
All Metroidvanias are easy outside of a couple like LM and OoE on the hard modes. It doesn't detract from the overall experience.
>>
>>376728760
>I don't think you know how open LM is.
I do, child. I do.
>It's also slower
In already slow as hell game? That's not even a downside. The very fact it has such a vertical reach makes it absolutely overpowered.
>It's really only okay against Mother
It's okay against any enemy or boss you need to reach out. Which is a vast majority of bosses and good number of harder trash mobs.
>admitted to having
I merely said it provides a hilariously easy, unbalanced exploit which is a massive hole in your entire argument about "balance" and "challenge". None of such exploits are present in HK, its difficulty curve feels way more controlled.
>Not only are you wrong
Prove me wrong, child.
>>
File: 64321659.jpg (112KB, 573x572px) Image search: [Google]
64321659.jpg
112KB, 573x572px
>>376728876
>>
>>376728876
Fuck off shitter your favorite games sucks and I can tell you why right now
>>
>>376729024
>>376728403
>>376726915
Are you gonna spout the same retarded arguments every time La Mulana is mentioned in a metroidvania thread?
>>
>>376729013

>Aria of Sorrow

Why do I feel you havent played Hollow Knight and are a shitposter?
>>
>>376729207
It's like the first time i even bothered to reply in this type of threads.
Given how childish La-Mulana defenders are, maybe i should poke them more, though. Just for fun.
>>
>>376727715
If you save Zote and face him in the arena, you ruin your chances with bug girl. It was a joke
>>
>>376728876
Next time don't pirate it.
>>
>>376724754
Tried to play it, didn't like it, maybe I just dislike metroidvania in general.
>>
>>376729024
>I do, child. I do.
You didn't even beat the game, so no, you don't.
>The very fact it has such a vertical reach makes it absolutely overpowered.
Nah, it's an actual hazard if you use it near sacred objects. It's also not as good as the knife for hitting low/short enemies.
>It's okay against any enemy or boss you need to reach out. Which is a vast majority of bosses and good number of harder trash mobs.
Just not most of Mother's forms. So you were wrong. Yeah.
>I merely said it provides a hilariously easy, unbalanced exploit
You mean you either spend hours grinding for coins instead of actually playing the game properly, or you specifically use the secret software combinations only accessible in the mid-to-late game to get easy item fairies for ton of money? Either way, you're a fucking bitch. By the time you get that software combination the revolver's usefulness is all but defunct anyway.
>Prove me wrong, child.
Well there isn't really a formal way of doing that. That said, the common opinion is that LM is harder than the vast majority of other games in the genre, people like you (who apparently didn't even beat the game) being the exeptions. There isn't much more to be said, really.
>>
>>376725916

It's probably worth playing if you also like metroidvanias and games with tough platforming.

It leans more on the side of frustrating hard than fun hard though (think blighttown, catacombs etc).

To be honest though, I think S&S would have been a hell of a lot more enjoyable had they just given you checkpoints right after boss fights rather than having to go searching through the next zone to find one, or backtrack.
>>
>>376729352
Well, if it helps I can ruin Hollow Knight threads for you in exchange. Seems fun, I guess, and you guys sure need knocking down a peg or two.
>>
>>376729220
Are you seriously claming Aria of Sorrow isn't a good game and isn't one of the best Metroidvanias? Really?
>>
I like metroidvanias, but the art style of this game really puts me off. Why does it have to be so super cartoony?

Salt and Sanctuary's art style was also really disappointing for me, but Momodora was great.
>>
File: 20160729005537_1.jpg (135KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160729005537_1.jpg
135KB, 1600x900px
>>376729790
>You didn't even beat the game
Pffftt.
>near sacred objects
It's just as easy to hit those with any other weapon and generally they provide no danger if you're aware of your surroundings to begin with.
>Just not most of Mother's forms
Most of Mother forms fly above the ground. Which is axe speciality.
>You mean
I mean that exploit is present. While HK have none of those.
>the common opinion is that LM is harder than the vast majority of other games in the genre
Of course. You constantly need to battle a strong desire to fall asleep, after all.
>>
>>376724754
what's better, this or dead cells?
>>
>>376730265
No fucking contest, this. Dead Cells is presently unfinished Early Access "throw out buzzwords and hope it sells" trash. It could be good in the future, but is presently not.
>>
>>376729964

I finished it on my phone and it was one of the most forgetable games ive ever played, the game is so fucking easy that I played through it entirely with touch screen controls
>>
>>376730060

Weeb needs do not apply
>>
File: 1489552508790.png (75KB, 504x504px) Image search: [Google]
1489552508790.png
75KB, 504x504px
>>376724754
Unlike most indieshit that focuses on faggotry and cartoony furniggers Hollowknights characters are designed off the greatest and most asthetically pleasing lifeforms, bugs.
>>
this or axiom verge?
>>
>>376730225
>Pffftt.
That's cute, you got someone to beat it for you.
>It's just as easy to hit those with any other weapon and generally they provide no danger if you're aware of your surroundings to begin with.
Nope, you'll virtually never hit one with the knife, katana and hardly ever with whips due to positioning, unless you do it on purpose.
>Most of Mother forms fly above the ground. Which is axe speciality.
They're either directly in front of you in the early forms or high enough to be out of reach for most axe attacks whilst you're on the ground, at which point you might as well use something faster like a whip to hit her multiple times mid-jump. If you'd paid attention to the guy who beat the game for you, you'd know that.
>Of course. You constantly need to battle a strong desire to fall asleep, after all.
Well I get that you can't argue with universally accepted truths, but that's still a little pathetic. Damn, man.
>>
>>376730704
Bugs are shit, but underused, so Hollow Knight being about bugs is a good thing.
>>
>>376730580

I think I was okay with Momodora, because the art style was a lot like SotN which made me like the genre. I certainly don't like weeb art in most games.
>>
>>376730464
I don't believe you, least of all if you somehow think HK is the best Metroidvania to date. Fucking hell, get some taste.
>>
>>376729352
>>376729875
Stop being faggots and derailing threads with petty arguments.
>>
>>376730995
Fuck you nigger. Despite being small bugs are effectively the most versatile and dangerous creatures on this planet. Dog sized bullet ants or spider wasps and we'd be fucked. Also there's nothing wrong with bugs. They probably aren't used that much because it's hard for furfaga to shit up bugs and make them look gay.
>>
>>376731207
Bugs are disgusting. I hate them. They're gross and they are barely alive.
>>
File: 1401236889850.jpg (70KB, 593x342px) Image search: [Google]
1401236889850.jpg
70KB, 593x342px
I found the game kinda basic, the movement had no momentum (very stop and go, not alot of friction), the abilities and powerups were very checklist-y for a MV, and the tone + pacing kinda made it out to be more than it really was. A couple of the bosses were intense but the rest were not very engaging and devolved into bumper car > jump > bumper car > repeat.

I feel like the people who liked this weren't really playing everything the genre had to offer.
>>
>>376731405
What I expect from a vertebrate cuck.
>>
>>376724754
No
>>
>>376731207
Bugs are disgusting, less disgusting than anthropomorphic beings, but disgusting nonetheless. You seem to be very angry with people who consort with beasts.
>>
>>376731515
I'm not going to fall for insect propaganda. Mum said never trust a fucker that wears their skeleton on the outside.
>>
Disregarding >>376730402, any solid constructed opinions on Dead Cells?
>>
>>376728270
I've beaten the game several times and I've never really had an issue with the gold loss. I don't really know any other way to tell you to prevent this issue then "just don't die". If you light roll, the game is super easy.
>>
File: Untitled.png (181KB, 384x306px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
181KB, 384x306px
>>376731640
You're autistic.
The game is unfinished to a heavy degree.
It cannot be readily compared to Hollow Knight.
And this opening box, the first thing people will read about the game, is literally throwing around words wildly for no reason.
>>
>>376731848
Chill out man, I just wanted a more in-depth opinion.

The mere fact that they chose to describe their game with "souls-lite combat" is enough for me to not want to buy it yet.
>>
File: 1476062022_kekebunny'sorder.png (110KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1476062022_kekebunny'sorder.png
110KB, 700x700px
>>376725737
I haven't tried Hollow Knight, but I'll agree with this because it's the only opinion I have. Sekai Project really outdid themselves because damn, from VNs to an actually decent OC Touhouvania? It's not really groundbreaking by any means, and the cute girls are indeed their selling point, but I came for the fairy and stayed for the actually fun gameplay. I wasn't spoiled about anything in terms of plot, however meager it was, so when the shopkeeper used attacks based on items that you've collected so far, it threw me off.
If Hollow Knight's this good, I might just go buy it soon. Even the egg likes it.
>>
I hate all of you.
This is a metroid, theres no castlevania in it at all aside from maybe melee based combat.

metroidvania only exists because of SotN which has HUGE rpg influences. Something this has none of because its far closer to a metroid game.

Otherwise its a pretty gud game, great even, but just like AV i have no wish to continue now that I'm so close to the end and have seen 95% of the map.
Also my controller broke so fuck
>>
>>376732006
Apologies, I suppose.
For lack of a better term, I got triggered when you "disregarded" my post
>>
>>376732127
The only reason I even "disregarded your post" is that if I hadn't people would just have pointed me to it.

Sorry.
>>
>>376731573
Fine, pretend your the best because of your warm blood, complete ignorance and stupidity is when a creature is truly happy.
>>
>>376731640
It only goes up to first boss right now, so there's not alot. Honestly, the only actually good part of this game is the movement (still needs tweaks, but I like the mometum) and speed of combat in general. It also totally pulls off the satisfaction of working with what you got and succeeding.

Unfortunately, that's all it really gets right. Combat suffers from bumper car syndrome (just run up and attack until death) for 99% of the fights, whereas elites and bosses are break the fight with good item modifiers or swing roll swing for 2 or 3 minutes. The artstyle is all over the place, color theory is nowhere to be found, sound effects are merely okay but grating, music isn't memorable at all, level layouts are procmeme as fuck, and the fucking buzzwords used in marketing make me extremely hesitant to want anything to do with giving the devs feedback.

tl;dr don't buy in early access, and reassess when it comes out. Not good enough to warrant jumping on now.
>>
>>376724754
What's the -vania part of this game?
>>
>>376724754
too bad the soul mode is retarded, the game would be perfect otherwise.
I don't understand why they didn't make it so you have to redo everything since your last save.
having to restart the game after 10 hours because of a shitty mistake is retarded
>>
>>376731050

(you)
>>
File: 1469617161751.png (153KB, 308x294px) Image search: [Google]
1469617161751.png
153KB, 308x294px
>>376724754
>Is this the best metroidvania of the last few years?
For me that would be _____Ori_____

I found Hollow Knight pretty good, but it never really hooked me or took me by surprise at any point. I might be a crazy person, but I didn't feel a great sense of progression/powercreep like most other games of this sort. You certainly start to murder things more efficiently as you gain abilities, but charms always felt too limited, health/mana upgrades got doled out fairly slowly + weren't all that exponential, and it didn't really feel like my mobility really grew past dash+walljump.

t. philistine with shit opinions
>>
File: Hollow Knight Listening to Music.jpg (301KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Hollow Knight Listening to Music.jpg
301KB, 1536x2048px
>>376732269
It's no problem, Anon. I'm just glad I could be of some assistance.
>>
>tfw lost 2000 geo
>>
>>376732514
Or you could just not do it.

Its for people that already did multiple playthorughs using different routes. People that already optimized their game paths so much its a literal bore.

Kind of like how I got with ZM, doing hard mode runs in two and a half hours when I would get bored.
>>
File: 1405292605938.jpg (112KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
1405292605938.jpg
112KB, 400x298px
>>376732802
>tfw geo is worthless
>>
>>376732802
Doesn't matter, you get more more money than you could ever hope to spend after awhile.
>>
>>376732802
It only hurts early on
>>
>>376726047
Come on dude. You only say that because you haven't played it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmOXalSujE
>>
>>376732580
Keep thinking that I'm the one with the troll opinion, faggot. I'm not the one shitting on AoS.
>>
>>376732609
>Ori
Weird, the thing the two seem to have most in common is above average production values and being horrifically overrated.
>>
I'm only to the City of Tears right now but I feel like there's not enough attack options or skills available to me yet, or a lack of different weapons I guess. Plinking away with my one swing only goes so far, and I'm not good enough to be using the spell blast that sucks up my SOUL juice since I need that to heal
>>
>>376733653
This is the games biggest problem.

Its a little better once you get long range or other modifiers but the fact there isnt another weapon is lame as shit.
>>
Yes but FUCK THE WHITE PALACE FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT AAAAAH THIS IS NOT A PRECISION PLATFORMER PIOSWAJEIPOGJWARIPGJASRIGJKS
>>
>>376733482
>horrifically overrated

Then how come I barely ever see those two games get brought up? Especially Hollow Knight, none of the big culprit review sites ever covered it, I haven't seen anyone gush about it outside of /v/, and it's still relatively new
>>
File: neutral.png (79KB, 241x341px) Image search: [Google]
neutral.png
79KB, 241x341px
>Genre has a resurgance of great games after years of being almost completely abandoned, especially by the franchises that defined it
>/v/ responds with pissing contests as to which is best and shitting on the opinions of those who disagree with them
Gee guys, couldn't we just, you know, be appreciative that we've got a nice range of games now? I know threads can't be kept afloat with civil discussion alone, but it doesn't hurt to try.
>>
File: aa.jpg (37KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
37KB, 600x338px
>>376733908
Goddam I loved that part.

Is there any game that focus on hard platforming?
>>
>>376734104
I'm going to presume you haven't played Super Meat Boy if you're seriously asking that
>>
>>376733920
>>
>>376733920
I mean on /v/. Every time I see Ori mentioned it's usually by someone who thinks the sun shines from it's ass. It's not a bad game, it's a very pretty and competently made nice little platformer, but as a Metroidvania is pretty lacking and it's not the second coming of Christ. And claiming HK is the new best Metroidvania ever has been a common trend since release. Or probably before release even, I didn't really pay attention to it back then.
>>
>>376733908
>equip hiveblood
>equip grubsong
>have infinite tries at any point

I really liked that part even without this, anyway.

But it also has hidden skips for scrubs like you all over the place.
>>
>>376731750
the issue is that it makes me not want to play, as every death is annoying. Light rolling isn't just a good strategy, it's the only strategy. Heavy armor seems pointless and I never got into magic
>>
>>376733908
It gave me a headache but it felt extremely satisfying after I beat it.
>>
>>376734446
It took me FOUR HOURS
It took me 30 hours to beat the rest of the game
Over 10% of HK was the Palace for me.
The issue is that HK never really taught you how to platform well until that part. All platforming challenges until then weren't that hard.
>>
SWITCH VERSION WHEN

I've been holding off on playing this and getting a switch until this releases
>>
>>376725916
If you have a friend to play it next to you hell yes.

Its great fun co-op but kind of annoying at parts solo.

I was a super heavy build and my friend was a scythe mage. We did alright without ever looking shit up aside from the damn "covenants" of whatever they are called in this.

Finding out you can make your own fast travel between the "checkpoints" that you specify was a good way to cut the backtracking without making ti feel too easy.
>>
File: 1471830917183.webm (338KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471830917183.webm
338KB, 854x480px
>>376724967
>>376724820
>>376724754
>>
File: IMG_6507.jpg (28KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6507.jpg
28KB, 236x236px
>>376734006
That said, what's your favorite recent Metroidvania?
Mine is Ori and the Blind Forest
>>
>>376734370
The majority of the time whenever I see Ori get brought up here (which doesn't happen very often, and I practically live here so I'm allowed to make that claim) it's usually an opinion akin to yours, and it certainly didn't get anywhere near the amount of threads or praise here that Hollow Knight did initially

>And claiming HK is the new best Metroidvania ever has been a common trend since release
What's so wrong with that claim? I didn't love it, but I can definitely see why people would
>>
>>376731451

felt the same way

nothing felt unique or particularly well made

I uninstalled after someone posted a video of the stage with all the spikes and saw and I saw that the game still makes you fight boring big guys who block your path
>>
>>376734919
>ori
>metroidvania

Can this meme stop now? Theres zero -vania to it and the game hardly even gets to metroid levels besides the fact its a 2d game with a large connected world.

Ori is a fantastic platformer, one of my favorites, not a metroidvania in any sense of the word.
>>
>>376734991
I don't know what you mean. It doesn't get many threads to itself, but when it does it's heavily praised. It's usually brought up as a great game in Metroidvania threads, though it also incites arguments as to whether or not it's a good Metroidvania or not.
>What's so wrong with that claim? I didn't love it, but I can definitely see why people would
There's nothing wrong with it, but if that's not a textbook case of being overrated, then I don't know what is. I mean it's a good game, but claiming it's de facto better in every respect than every other game in the genre to date is a major stretch.
>>
>>376734919
Honestly? CotM, Zero Mission and La-Mulana.
I wouldn't say they're necessarily the best games in the genre and they all have their flaws, but they are my personal favourites.
>>
>>376735359
>though it also incites arguments as to whether or not it's a good Metroidvania or not.

Well you're completely correct on that at least >>376735056
>>
>>376734919
>>376735791
Whoops, didn't read the "recent" part, which was pretty stupid when it was the crux of the issue.
AM2R, I'd say. Rabi Ribi and Odallus were nice too and the LM2 and Bloodstained demos have been really promising.
>>
>>376735056
2d game
Large connected world
Over time, earn powers that unlock new areas in a specific order
Powers make traversal of map and defeating of enemies easier

How is it NOT a Metroidvania
>>
>>376724754
its the only metroidvania of the last few years
>>
La Mulana bored me to dropping it because I didn't know what the fuck I was supposed to be doing. I quit before the second boss because I couldn't find it.
I have something like 84 hours in Hollow Knight right now. It's the best game I've played in this genre in a long time, and probably the second best game I've played in the last few years, being bested only by TW3.
>>
>>376736360
Environmental Station Alpha
Axiom Verge
Rabi Ribi
Ori (technically)
Momodora Reverie
Environmental Station Alpha 2 soon as well.
>>
>>376730803
They are both good for different reasons and you should play both.
>>
>>376736296
Its definitely NOT a -vania in any way at all, that would mean there were RPG elements like weapons and stats. Things that SotN set and the standard for metroidvanias.

Metroid sure, I'll give you that but Ori has almost no combat comparatively and is really more a platformer than anything.
>>
WHERE'S THE SWITCH PORT!?
>>
Did they ever fix the constant stuttering?
>>
>>376731405
>Barely alive
Did you never take a biology course outside of highschool?
>>376734650
>It took me four hours
How? I suck ass at platforming and died with hiveblood+grubsong and I STILL beat it in an hour.
>>
>>376737391
Never had this problem on SSD.
>>
>>376724754

Yes.

The only good indie metroidvanias:
- La-Mulana
- La-Mulana 2
- Hollow Knight
- Ghost Song
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Games like ori, shovel knight and rabi ribi are not real metroidvanias and they suck balls.
>>
>>376737939
>Ghost Song
>Bloodstained
>good
You haven't played them you faggot.

>Shove Knight isn't a real Metroidvania
You don't say!

This post has to be fucking bait.
>>
>>376737939
When has anyone claimed that Shovel Knight is a metroidvania?
>>
>>376737939
>Ghost Song
(((Matt))) please go and work on the game. You told me it was going to be released in 2015 and you're still not sure if it's coming in 2017 either.
>>
>>376734650
>The issue is that HK never really taught you how to platform well until that part.
Wrong. Go get all the grubs ugly
>>
>>376736557
>La Mulana bored me to dropping it because I didn't know what the fuck I was supposed to be doing. I quit before the second boss because I couldn't find it.
Low attention span/10
>>
>>376737939
>Ori sucks balls
Nigga I will fucking fight you
>>
>>376738084
It's literally a megamania(?) if you could call it anything
>>
>>376738764
I'd be willing to try it again if you have any suggestions to make it feel less maze-like and confusing. I know that's how the game is supposed to be on some level, but I also don't want to draw my own maps like I'm playing NES Metroid.
>>
>>376734820
Same here. I want to play it in bed.
Just give me a date.
>>
>>376739001
Use a guide until you get the map rom and glyph reader roms.
>>
>>376724754
I personally liked it a lot. I had zero expectations and went in completely fresh, and was pleasantly surprised. Hope this developer keeps making games.
>>
>>376739095
>I want to play it in bed
Steam stream to a laptop in bed. Would run and look better than a switch, too. Or you could try that novidya SHIELD thing.
>>
File: IMG_5445.gif (39KB, 235x244px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5445.gif
39KB, 235x244px
THAT FUCKING PAUSE AFTER GETTING HIT PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH IT ALWAYS FUCKS EVERYTHING UP

Besides that the game is comfy.
>>
>>376739534
It's called hitstop and it makes judging when you got hit more precisely.
>>
>>376739601
Hitstop shouldn't last over a second, let alone an entire second.
>>
>>376739601
Well I don't like it one bit. A smaller pause would've been better.

Also I hate spikes sending you back.
>>
>>376739534
Dude I agree.
They exaggerated the effect so god damn much for the tiniest hits.

If it got more the higher the damage you took would have been fantastic.
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.