[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do games seem to have so little staying power now a days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

Why do games seem to have so little staying power now a days? Every major game is hyped to shit, talked about for a few days and then its completely forgotten within a week. Is this just me getting older? Something seems off
>>
It's a sign you are losing dedication or interest in video games. I've played for 3 hours on steam in the last two weeks and start to notice how I fail to "keep up" with the latest stuff.

I used to play quake 3 competitive and ut for fun for years, but this sort of dedication is impossible to me now.

It's you, basically.
>>
>>376710346
I noticed this too. Theres only a few exceptions ive seen recently and those are persona and breath of the wild, and I'm guessing the amount of persona threads will lower
>>
>>376710346

Because there's much more competition now and people simply move on to the next big thing.
>>
I just don't ever purchase new releases, base all of my games off of price and a couple years of separation since release. By that point any problems are patched and I can focus on any interesting mods.
>>
>>376710528
>>376710594
Im pretty sure the steam charts have ruined me where you can see player bases literally plummet overnight. Everything just seems so cheap and "fadlike". I just instinctively know now that the next big thing will have its 15 minutes and then people will want the next cookie cutter product. It really is a new era and it saddens me
>>
>>376710824
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW come on now.

Just because there aren't any good games being released doesn't mean there are no good games available. This fatalist attitude in this thread is adorable, but you're all being huge bitches.
>>
>>376710824
This can mostly be attributed to new games being shit.

If you want a game with staying power, you don't get to play a new game because they aren't made with depth in mind.
>>
There's a reason why fotm shit is called fotm shit.
>>
>>376710346
Most people don't finish their games. Go look at achievement/trophy stats. Every single game less than half of players reached the ending credits.

That's just how this works.
>>
>>376711304
>Exclusively play dead MMO's and strategy games
>Ending doesn't really exist
>>
>>376710346
Games have no staying power unless it has some sort of online multiplayer component or always getting updates like a MOBA or MMO.
>>
>>376711442
I dont know whats more to blame. A larger and more casual audience or the constant pushing of the online "competitive" multiplayer meme. Interconnectivity has killed gaming imo. Gaming was always meant to be an individual type of hobby not a group experience
>>
>>376711714
>>376711442

I'd argue it still is, you two are drawing conclusions based on nothing. Total War Warhammer has 3x as many people playing a campaign as they are competitive skirmishes.
>>
>>376710528
Persona doesn't have much staying power. People are sticking around mainly for waifu circlejerk threads.
>>
>>376711442
Brood War can argue otherwise. That thing spent something like a decade without an update.

It's not that games can't have staying power on their own, it's that people don't make games with staying power anymore.
It's bad for business anyway, who is going to buy games if they can buy one good game and play it all the time?
>>
File: effddbb1d9486bee589c619189a51751.jpg (891KB, 817x1124px) Image search: [Google]
effddbb1d9486bee589c619189a51751.jpg
891KB, 817x1124px
>>376710346
reddit datamines everything day one and discovers every secret

there are people who autisticly figure everything out day one just so they can make views on youtube, vidya has become a shitty business for internet fame
>>
>>376712194
Anon you're a retard, the longer people play a game the more chances for further development and DLC sales exists, this isn't some high school conspiracy theory about the cure for cancer, it's actually better having people play your game longer.
>>
>>376712361
No u.
Yeah, you could do that.
Ooooor you can make the same game with minor modifications and sell it as a brand new game, the way EA does with its yearly rehashes.

Not every company is Paradox with its "ship garbage and then fix it with DLC and expansions if it catches on" policy.

Games aren't medications, you can't make product with infinite cycle time because people only need to buy it once.
>>
>>376712328
This. NO ONE PLAYS GAMES ANYMRE THEY FUCKING WATCH THEM. Most retarded shit in the world. It makes 0 sense. Fuck youtubers you dumb fucks with clickbait and jumpscares and all that dumb shit. GOOD GAMES DONT EXIST ANYMORE. THEY JUST DONT. THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER HALO 3 OR HALF LIFE 2. THERE IS NO QUALITY LEFT OR PERSONALITY. I WANT TO DIE DIE FUCK
>>
>>376710346
It's not you.

I used to think the same way, and I thought I outgrew games.

But then I got an emulator and revisited my childhood games and I still cant get enough of them
>>
>>376712890
Emulators dont seem comfy though. Seems like a big fucking hassle desu..
>>
>>376713248
Better than playing on whatever shitty console or handheld it originally came out on.
>>
>>376713248
Worth it.
>>
File: bro.png (162KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
bro.png
162KB, 319x319px
>>376713248
>download 1 thing
>download another
>put them together
>play the whole afternoon as your cute bf gives you a foot job
>>
>>376713507
>download 1 thing
Get virus

>download another
Not compatible, have to update everything

>put them together
Program crashes everytime

>play the whole afternoon as your cute bf gives you a footjob
But im not gay??
>>
>>376713867
>But im not gay??
how do you know for sure if you've never tried?
>>
Play better games. I was feeling like you, then I finally bought a PS4 with Bloodborne, Gravity Rush Remaster/Gravity Rush 2, and Nioh. I'm having a great time.
>>
>>376711304
This.

Just look at the percentage for just FINISHING Bloodborne, it's like fucking 30%.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.