[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/ I need you to judge my opinion on The Institute. In terms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: Fo4-institute-logo-orange.png (102KB, 390x392px) Image search: [Google]
Fo4-institute-logo-orange.png
102KB, 390x392px
/v/ I need you to judge my opinion on The Institute.

In terms of potential contribution to the world, The Institute is invaluable. The sheer amount of pre-war research and the body of knowledge they've constructed could be great. But I just don't think it will under its current leadership/ideology and there are two main reasons that have lead me to this sentiment.

1) The Institute has once, already, engaged with the Commonwealth, and apparently, it ended in isolation of the organisation and deep mistrust from common society. This tells me that The Institute lacks sociopolitical savvy or even capability. This is dangerous. Inability to engage with society by civil means is crucial to social progress, assuming that human rights is a priority. To rephrase this point as a question: What good is science, if society doesn't want it from you? The Institute could have not given up on integrating into society above ground, but to me, it seems like their egos drove them underground, where they have now spiralled into a bubble of idealisation that their methods are supreme and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

2) They have created an unnecessary form of science that serves no other purpose but to exploit surface-dwellers and retrieve what they want or need by force. Gen 3 Synths. These act against the will of most people in the Commonwealth, yet they are justified for the sake of research. Coursers are sent to take things or eliminate people by force, while others are sent to perform reconnaissance, sometimes at the expense of human lives. This is a huge sign of where I believe their ideology is leading them. With both these points in mind, it is not unlikely that The Institute aims to create a Authoritarian Technocracy. Although they may improve society in the long run, they aim to do it via sheer force. People simply do not trust them enough to embrace them willingly, and The Institute are too egotistical to ever let their research go to waste.

Is my conclusion substantial?
>>
bump for fallout 4 faction opinions blease
>>
File: anzacs supporting the world.jpg (148KB, 601x604px) Image search: [Google]
anzacs supporting the world.jpg
148KB, 601x604px
Kill 'em all.

Give me liberty or give me death.
>>
>>376699040
>Chaosfag
>>
>>376698002
Seems legit to me.

Really the only reasonable choice is to side with the Minutemen, who were by far the most under-developed faction. The minutemen stand for order and justice, but not at the expense of individual liberties.

>>376699097
Naw, chaosfaggotry would be the raiders, who I agree need to be brought to heel or wiped the fuck out.
>>
>>376699040
so BoS? they're the equivalent of human destruction desu. too bad ncr isn't in 4 otherwise they'd be the best way to kill everyone
>>
>caring about fallout 4
fuck off, nigger. literally one of the worst fucking games ever made
>>
>>376700262
They seem similar to the NCR but less authoritarian in that they reflect old world values and ideology. I would definitely support them except I absolutely hate settlement building more than anything and they seem pretty boring. As much as I dislike The Institute from a political view, they're above and beyond the most interesting faction in the game

>>376700338
Believe me when I say that you've no idea just how much I hate Bethesda and Fallout 4 and the sheer number of mods I've had to install and criticism I've had to suspend and roleplay/headcanon I've had to employ to stomach this game, but there are good parts of the game for sure.
>>
Why were they replacing everyone with synths again anyway?
>>
>>376700536
My guess is for purposes of reconnaissance as well as experimentation. They have little contact with the surface so it'd make sense to have eyes and ears planted as well as test their human-like capabilities.
>>
>>376700291
did to be honest just word filter into desu ? seriously ? it's not even that bad of an acronym. i wasn't even using it ironically
>>
>>376700736
Get the fuck out newfaggot.
>>
>>376700435
I don't think the Minutemen really are an equivalent to the NCR. The NCR is trying to re-create the society of America in the 2070s, or at least something similar to it.

The minutemen meanwhile, aren't so much based on Old World beliefs and practices, as they are a response to the problems of the day. They certainly use the imagery of colonial America, but it's not like they're preaching the values of no taxation without representation, or freedom from an oppressive overlord. In fact, it takes headcanon and the like for the Minutemen to even be seen as a force with the potential to form an over-arching government at all; as far as they're portrayed, they're simply a militia, contributed to by all the settlements and their mandate only covers the protection of said settlements from outside threats. Nothing about what Preston or anyone else tells you implies that either the old or new minutemen had any real political clout. They seem to function more as just an insurance policy against raiders, super mutants etc. even their weapons don't seem like they're centrally organised, but rather slapped together out of whatever they could lay their hands on.

Realistically however, the new Minutemen would have to function as a government for the Commonwealth, just to leverage the support and manpower they would need to function as a standing army. Again though, they seem fairly light on exercising control, only stepping in when a settlement is threatened by outside forces, or maybe to stop settlements potentially fighting amongst themselves. Who knows where they might go in the next 50-60 years. We might end up with another NCR or Legion, or we might see a more centrist nation-state evolve in Massachusetts.

Or, you know, Bethesda might piss all over it, like they have with everything else good about Fallout's lore...
>>
>>376700791
senpai please relax desu
>>
>people actually care this much about Fallout 4

The level of denial you must live in to think that piece of shit was decent must be incredible.
>>
>>376700971
I agree with everything you've said to the point where I'm not sure what else to say except clarification of my point. I definitely agree that as they stand, they're much more pragmatic than they are political and seem to be tackling present day (2287) issues in a practical manner. But just like you said right after that, I firmly believe that they would funnel into a democratic government not unlike what the USA has right now. Perhaps not to the degree of political skullduggery and lack of transparency that it has IRL, but I can see them becoming the NCR, just with different origins and perhaps motives as well. I just can't vibe with that

>>376701114
Many poor pieces of entertainment or art can have aspects taken out of them and perceived in a contextless void. Can you do that for me with The Institute? You did play the game, right? Surely you're not criticising a part of the game that you have not yet experienced
>>
>>376701242
A democratic minutemen government may not be so very likely... It's possible they'll form more of a military junta or meritocracy, where the General has final authority and after his life/term, officers elect a new leader from among their number.
>>
>>376701628
Perhaps not at first, but people will become angry after some time with that mode of leadership regardless of how well they perform as authority. Given that they're so focused on settlements and protecting people will definitely result in them yielding to some sort of democratic compromise, at least if Preston remains in power. Such is the nature of humans when they are given rights; they begin to assert their entitlement of them when they realise that they can gain from it. Not necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>376701879
>Preston
>In power

He's a sergeant through and through; he couldn't command on a higher level with a fucking manual.

And humans don't always need rights to be happy. Feudalism worked for roughly a thousand years, because of the nature of the problems confronting society; namely the same problems that come from the fall of an empire that the Commonwealth and America in general are facing in the 2200s.
>>
I still don't get why The Railroad exists.
>everything is shit
>there are people trying to save specifically and only fake people
>>
>>376702216
My headcanon right now is that people will look to him for leadership because I've completely ignored him. I mean, unless something else happens during the MQ where neither you or he leads the Minutemen.

And like I said before, if "the problems" is what I think you're referring to, then I imagine that as society becomes more civilised in the post-apocalypse, those problems will become less and less frequent, and people will not be happy with things like feudalism anymore. With affluence, comes a desire for more, less pressing fulfilment and the right to vote and be involved in the rules that construct society
>>
>>376698002
midwest BoS will never return becauase every faction needs to be unreasonable self destruction flaming caricature faglords of retardedness and no one is allowed to be pragmatic or utilitarian in any way at all ever again.
>>
>>376702593
Those particular synths are also one of The Institute's primary forms of exploitation. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure going down their questline will result in the end of The Institute, which I imagine is their goal by extension of freeing synths. If I had to guess, I reckon the RR would opt to destroy synths, if they were unable to free them.
>>
>institute had to have morals in a world with no rules or morals

What makes them have to be this pariah of good when literally everyone in the world is terrible? They have the ability to kill off and replace those who do wrong and make them do right. So what if they have blood on their hands? Everyone does.
>>
>>376702956
This attitude is akin to saying something like, "Why do I have to be civil when they started it?" which isn't particularly progressive. They have an enormous amount of knowledge and they have a goal of bettering society with it, so they have a responsibility to employ it morally otherwise common ideas of what "bettering" means will stand in direct contradiction. There's a fine line between injecting a baby with a vaccine that would save its life and forcing food down its throat because you think it needs to eat but it doesn't feel like it at the time.
This is literally by their own standards/principles. But I've only speculated that they will become much more immoral in the future. As they stand now, they're not too bad. My problem is that their ability to "kill off and replace" those who do wrong won't result in what you might think
>>
>>376698002
Shitthesda can't write factions for shit.
>Institute has no real motives to even exist
>Create horde of Super Mutants with a very guarded US military project for no fucking explained reason
>Make lots of synths also with no fucking reason and even kidnap people
>Minutemen are a nice idea similar to beginning NCR but are incompetent and loose as fuck and made up of farming retards
>Gunners hace no reason to exist too and are hostile to the player for no reason
>>
>>376703337
You think that morals will lead to anything in the fallout world. As another anon stated before the institute tried to help before and the wasteland spit on them. I wouldn't be nice either to the animals of the wasteland.
>>
>>376703572
I would have hope in humanity, yes
>>
>>376703758
Humanity has no hope when reduced to animals by their own free will.
>>
Lmao who cares fag Fallout is fucking garbage
>>
>>376703903
I can't contend that opinion because it's too foundational. If that's what you would truly believe in a post-apocalypse situation, then so be it. But in Fallout, there are a lot of good people who exist, and as long as there's one, then there'd be hope
>>
>>376703903
That's bullshit when there exists recovering civilizations like the NCR, the Shi, Caesars Legion and the northwestwern Brotherhood.
>>
>>376704114
NRC will ultimately destroy themselves without an enemy. Cesar's legion can't survive without Cesar and the brotherhood is xenophobic. You didn't play all te dlc in new Vegas did you new friend?
>>
>>376704706
This is all very wrong. The NCR will become the US which may or may not destroy themselves but it will be ages til that happens. Caesar's Legion is probably the most well-structured faction in the entire series. Without Caesar, they would do fine, so long as he has someone decent lined up after him. The BoS being xenophobic has nothing to do with their longevity
>>
>>376704982
So you didn't play the dlc then. Not gonna waste my time arguing with you.
>>
>>376705047
New Vegas is my favourite RPG of all time and I've replayed it at least eight times. Literally just say what you're trying to say, dude; I'm not going to be able to pinpoint the exact piece of evidence from New Vegas you keep alluding to when you keep being vague, just make your assertion
>>
>>376705047
Well your fucking retarded. The NCR is probably the most stable oligarchy faction in post-war America. Legion may collapse because Caesar is a fucking idiot building the Legion up on himself and not on an idea, but maybe Legate will pull it back with a big enough body count taking over with fear. And the only Xenophobic fags are the western Brotherhood of Cucks that got BTFO California. The Northwest from tactics built up a militaristic nation with wastelander recruits and citizens.
>>
>>376703369
Another issue with the minute men is their history of turning on each other as soon as there isn't a leader they all agree on. And you just gave them bigger guns all over the common wealth to fight the next Minutemen civil war with. They are far to idealistic to ever work realistically and thats why the fell apart before you and why they will do it again after.
>>
>>376705619
Cesar was dieing and the NCR was losing its hold on its citizens. They were taxing the shit out of them and not protecting the caravans.
>>
>>376707316
So like I said when Caesar dies his successor Lanius will kill his way in the Legion to retain order and become the next emperor. And the NCR will follow totalitarian rules if the citizens start becoming really unresting.
>>
>>376698002
their main argument is that they needed synths because radiation has screwed up the surface dwellers DNA, yet they create gen 3's who are subceptible to radiation damage, and also treat them like robots cause there is a failsave built into their nervous system, despite the fact they are anything but robots. and then to complicate everything no matter what you do you end up with synth shaun which is totally opposite to "father's" entire philosophy, asking you to treat this one synth as a human.

just blow them up and make your own lab, DC did fine without MIT(CIT in universe) the only different problem is radstorms, make some clear sky fireworks, problem solved.

and for the record I went with institute first time, wasn't that impressed.
>>
>>376707918
>and then to complicate everything no matter what you do you end up with synth shaun which is totally opposite to "father's" entire philosophy, asking you to treat this one synth as a human.
Can you tell me more about this? Don't worry about spoiling it for me; I don't mind. What exactly happens with you and synth Shaun if you go down The Institute path?
>>
>>376708038
once you do the final institute main mission for father, taking out the prydwen by hacking liberty prime (fairly fun) he dies of stage 4 cancer and leaves you a holotape asking you to look after shaun, who remains in advanced systems lab near madison li

afaik its the same as any other faction except you skip being able to decline since you didn't blow the place up, and his fetch quest is the same.
>>
>>376708245
Wow. That's not a bad plot progression. I can't wait to fuck everything up
>>
>>376698002
>Implying anyone follows the main quest in the game
Why bother? Every faction is lawful stupid making you jump through hoops to achieve some pointless often retarded goal.

Play as the game as it was obviously intended a brainless exploration shooter.
>>
>>376708487
make your own faction then, one mod to remove build size limit and another to have more than one follower and you're gold.
>>
>>376698002
Dude blue lasers lmao! Fuck synths!!
>>
>>376700412
Fuck out of my thread or I'll find you,kid
>>
File: 20170510004800_1.jpg (302KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20170510004800_1.jpg
302KB, 1680x1050px
>>376708808
>have more than one follower
Use an army of Settlers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Q3kmhoO6Y
>>
>>376709381
>that time/daylight widget
fuck that's a good'n
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.