[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't the west like Dragon Quest?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 55

File: dq.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dq.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Why don't the west like Dragon Quest?
>>
>>376690646
They prefer ARPGs and have no appreciation for toriyama's art style.
>>
>>376690646
The west loves Dragon Quest. DQ8 sold very well, even in Europe and they didn't get the FF12 demo with it.

It's just Square-Enix shitting themselves, not releasing a DQ for 7 years and then acting surprised when everyone forgot about it.
>>
>>376690646
Didn't VIII and IX sell really well in the west? People just don't give a fuck about spin-offs.
>>
The west likes DQ when SE doesn't shit the fucking bed
>>
>>376690646
Art style needs to get out of the fucking 80s. Not saying it needs FF style pretty boy fags but something that looks better than a pre-teen weeaboo's first attempt an animu drawing would be nice.
>>
>>376690646

FF was out first, they seemed more advanced than the early Dragon Quests because they were, the series just stopped being localized for some years between DQ IV and VI, and did the same thing some years later. It not having the spectacle and cutscenes that FF does doesn't help either. Then there's the fact that S-E is so inept that it seems like they're trying to sabotage it in the west.
>>
>>376690646
>SE releases games at random
>huge gap between main games
>weird sudden splooge all over the DS
>release a whole bunch of 3DS titles and then not localize most of them
>didn't localize X
>rerelease Final Fantasy on anything with a battery
>>
The west prefers games where story and gameplay are separate
Like FF or persona
>>
Boring combat system. If you played one game you played all of them in terms of gameplay mechanics.

The story keeps repeating, too.
t. Played 1,2, 5, 8 and Builders
>>
Westerners don't want handheld games and spin-offs. They want high effort mainline games with relatively up to date visuals.
They got 1 game like that in the last 20 years.
>>
>>376690646
Western RPG fans are full of pretentious and edgy teens listening to Linking Park and whatever is the current LP.
So of course they are drawn to games like FF7 like moths to the flame.
Something like DQ seemed "childish" to them. And since they were teens, they needed to make a clear line between themselves and anything "childish"

Its quite literally a
>teenage years:FF
>adulthood: DQ
scenario
>>
>>376692104
The games sell on that style. The new dq has classic version where the 3d overworld is represented as an 8 bit mini map. They love the 8 bit meta callbacks
>>
>>376692715
Not to look like a angst cunt but you got to admit the names for spells are childish as all fuck.
Woosh. Sizzle. Zap. sounds like a 5 year old who read too many old comic books wrote the attack names and sound effects.
>>
>>376690646
West like Dragon Quest. S-E Japan don't care about the localizing games unless it has FF in the title.
>>
>>376690646
>Why don't the west like Dragon Quest?
It's the normies who don't like Dragon Quest.
>>
>>376692880
You have to admit, Onomatopoeias are a more interesting naming sense that X-ra or Y-ga
>>
>>376690646
Too childish. Most western gamers are mature, so they prefer realistic setting to childish fantasy.
>>
>>376693052
>realism in fantasy
I'll never understand this meme
>>
File: eajoirja.png (43KB, 659x405px) Image search: [Google]
eajoirja.png
43KB, 659x405px
>>376691357
>DQ8 sold very well
define very well
you definitely don't want to see the 3DS version's sales
>>
>>376693127
So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?
>>
>>376693175
1 million is good though for a mere localization
>>
(Slurp)
>>
>>376690646
Art by Akira "Everyone rook same" Toriyama
>>
>>376692104
Fuck off. Toriyama's art style is one of a kind. The only problem is that everyone suffers from vegeta syndrome.
>>
>>376694083
Good morrow crono
>>
>>376694083
His monster designs is what carries those games
>>
>>376693175
>DQ8 would have killed any chance of us getting DQ in the west if it wasn't for the FF demo
>>
>>376695202
Most of the western world didn't get a free demo with their DQ8. We bought it on it's own merits.
>>
>>376690646
well the first reason was the battle system on its astehtics. Looking at the monsters and not seeing your character made it kind of boring and didn't pull the player in enough. They fixed this later which made the game sell alot more in the west like 8. 9 let you customize your own character and still be apart of the story in a big way. It was also difficulty, the west was not ready for how difficult these games were until 7 and 8 and 9.
>>
>>376692104
nah that's it's charm. You want something that changes over time go final fantasy.
>>
>>376692578
8 is similar to 1,2,5? How so?
>>
File: 1485753766446.png (13KB, 333x333px) Image search: [Google]
1485753766446.png
13KB, 333x333px
>>376694083
I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>376692715
This, you can tell this is true because of how FF9 was received with its child like style.
Teenagers have a problem with wanting things mature but this thought process works against them making them more childish for hating something over design style.
>>
>>376694382
naw, his character design of dragon ball is also what carries over, 8 I bet you, sold so well because the main character went ssj when he was 100 tension.
>>
>tfw you're the only person who doesn't mind all the puns and accents
>>
>>376698652
I'm sorry, but is that shitty meme supposed to prove anything?
>>
>>376696096
saw it on x play and the commercials for it were sick. Going super saiyan was like coke for me.
>>
>>376698931
common bruh, I loved them, it worked for what they were going for.
>>
>>376693175
isn't that a lot for when it came out for PS2? I mean gaming wasn't as big back then as it is now.
>>
I can't stand Dragon Quest soundtracks. 11 looks great from a aesthetic standpoint, but then you just hear fucking brass horns in the background and all my hype plummets.
>>
>>376690646
Fuck I need to start playing this again. I played it a bunch as a kid, but I never got past the Dhoulmagus fight.

Started a new file months ago on my original PS2 disc and beat it in a week. Last I left off I was grinding against king metal slimes before I attempted the last two dragovian trials in the pst-game.
>>
>>376699394
I love the orchestral style music, felt very story book ish.
>>
>>376690646
they are repetitive as fuck
also the characters have no depth, no personality.
Basically they are quite boring.
>>
>>376690646
Is the DBZ style literally the only way he can draw things? Seems weird because all the characters just look the same.
>>
>>376699573
>one song, one song all the time
what were they thinking
>>
>>376699394
Yeah, DQ's soundtracks are really underwhelming compared to other RPGs. 8 was the only one where I didn't get annoyed by the music.
>>
File: 1485311803286.jpg (491KB, 620x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485311803286.jpg
491KB, 620x800px
>>376699660
>no personality
dq8 had personality aplenty
>>
>>376699750
I see, then yah, previous ones were pretty low brow.
>>
>>376690646

having to grind is a waste of my time.

if I understand the game's mechanics and can execute what is expected of me, I should be able to complete the game.
>>
File: 1494500013631.jpg (1MB, 900x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1494500013631.jpg
1MB, 900x1300px
brehs, tell me DQXI is coming to the West
tell me sweet little lies
>>
>>376691357
it's square executives dicking over enix employees because square STILL think we all need to worship lightning's flaccid tranny cockclit and play retard games like arpg's that have little to no r, p, or g to them.
>>
DQ is just boring. It's just an endless grind, random battles are absolute cancer and I've hated them forever. The "strategy" element of min-maxing your characters is fucking boring, too.

DQ is also the series that really, really fucking hates the players the most. You want to play the most "complete" version of half the games? Enjoy using a fucking DS with a 200p screen.

Even a PS1 version would be better graphically, it's an absolute joke. I don't mind bad graphics, but the trash you get on Nintendo handhelds is beyond bad.
>>
>>376701202
ok
>>
>>376701202
There's always that one faggot
>>
>>376701202
hello console fag who goes into pc threads claiming 'console besto graficos'. as you are a complete retard and know nothing, ds and 3ds dq's either have updated sprites and shit for sprite games, or use a low poly high textures style ala' BD
>>
DQM n3ds never ever. because square said 'fuck you western piggus gaijins!'

does someone have the pasta for the list of DQ games we'll never get due to executives at SE being dickheads?
>>
>>376701336
What are you, 12 or something?

Yes, the sprite work is updated. The issue is that they made a bunch of nice visuals, and then soiled them by putting them on a device that has a screen that absolutely can't handle them at all.

Some of them at least have Android ports, but then you're left without a real control scheme. And that fucking font choice, holy shit.

>>376701417
They're not being "dickheads". The series barely sells in the west, it's a massive waste of resources.
>>
>want to play DQV
>only two physical copies on eBay, both ~£50/$65

fuck it then
>inb4 muh hacked DS
>>
>>376700916
they think japanese rpgs are just visual novels now, or movies
>>
>>376701535
>>>inb4 muh hacked DS
Honestly, why haven't you hacked it? It's free if you're using a 3DS, or like 10 bucks for a flashcart on the actual system.

Hell, you could just emulate if you're really poor.
>>
>>376701202
how old are you?
>>
>>376700192
you don't need to grind unless you plan on doing the postgame content
in VIII at least
>>
>>376701590
I prefer physical copies, don't want the hassle of hacking the 3DS and worrying about stuff like software updates etc
>>
>>376701526
you are still failing at basic reading comprehension.

MUH GRAFIX isn't the fucking POINT. a faithful to the 'style' update IS. and 3ds low poly high texture is beautiful. I bet you're one of those fucking autistic sperglord who hated on BD 1 + 2 's hand drawn art.

the series doesn't sell in the west when square quietly port shit late, way behind the JP release, refuse to market or advertise, and supply pathetic amounts in tiny runs that still sell out leaving square executives complaining that "___ ONLY sold 150 k carts" when thats' ALL they had printed. when square doesn't fuck with dq and the west actually KNOWS a title is coming it sells. dq7 3ds only had poor sales because they specifically said "NEVER EVER HA HA you don't even like DQ!" and then finally gave it to us YEARS later.
>>
>>376701559
hate that sooooo much
>>
>>376701923
You're braindead. The mobile releases of both 7 and 8 are just straight up better aside from lazy cutscene cropping in 8.

They're the same exact models, just rendered in 5 times the resolution. If the 3DS had a Vita tier screen, I could understand your point in some regard, but it has a bargain basement screen that's below the fucking PSP.

As for the whining about Square "undersupplying" shit, you're still fucking stupid. The 150k is what they sent out to stores, most stores didn't even sell through that stock, and not enough of them made re-orders to justify another print run.

The games aren't fucking popular in the west. You can bitch and whine about how they're totally better than FF or whatever, but you can't just ignore reality. If the games had the potential to sell decent numbers, they'd localise. They don't, so they won't.
>>
I tried to liked I really did, but everything about it felt boring, the music, characters, gameplay,etc. I forced myself to finish and I still dropped it.(VII)
>>
>>376690646
Boring, slow ass combat (and I actually do love turn based combat, like SMT games, even loked Crono Cross and that has some slow as fuck combat) combined with a boring, saturday morning cartoon esque story.

Gee, I really wonder
>>
DQ was still enix and enix didn't really bother marketing their games outside Japan because it was already no.1 in Japan. Final Fantasy/Square made an effort to market and make games for western audiences that's why it did so well. DQ was already a couple of sequels when they tried and it was already too late then.

>why did they need to make games for western audiences
Because Jap gaming market was more mature back then with games not seen as kids games while west is different.
>>
It's high fantasy AND turn-based.

West can tolerate one or the other, but not both.
>>
>>376702390
7 was never 3d until portable what are you talking about?
>>
>>376699249
That's a huge amount for any JRPG that isn't FF, especially outside Japan.
>>
File: 200px-Dq7worldmap.jpg (12KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Dq7worldmap.jpg
12KB, 200x150px
>>376702390
This was 7 before the 3DS remake.
>>
the turn-based gameplay is way too simple, i know japs love it but fucking hell they could do a lot more with it
i've been playing dq8 and i literally just let the AI fight every battle unless it's a boss or metal slime, haven't had my team wiped out once and i'm near the end
>>
>>376690646
a case of shit taste
>>
Even though I'm big unto JRPGs I can't really get into the series and I not really sure why. DQV was the only one I was able to play for any long period of time and even with that one I stopped playing because I was bored. I would like to go back and finish it sometime though. I'd still be willing to give XI a chance if it comes to the west though, it looks really good.
>>
>>376703271
>turn system is too simple
>let's AI play for him
well there's your problem chief
>>
Not doing so bad on mobile
>>
>>376703271
turn based didn't turn out to be easy, gamers just got lazier and want to control one character while the AI does the other party members. You aren't playing it right if that's the case.
>>
>>376703368
if the fucking ai can play the game for me then it IS too simple, how is that my fault chief?
why would I waste my time mashing A through the menus when the AI typically choose the best attacks anyway because the random encounters require almost no thought
>>
File: 666f7ecc.jpg (51KB, 499x430px) Image search: [Google]
666f7ecc.jpg
51KB, 499x430px
>>376703257
>>376703129
Yes, but then they ported that to mobile. Where it looks far better because it isn't stunted by the 3DS's screens.
>>
>>376692104
Fuck no. If anything, anime needs to go back to 80s style and less moe shit.
>>
>>376703606
because you allow it to, it's like playing DMC on the easiest setting and complain that it's too easy.
>>
>>376690646
A long, long line of marketing and localization fuckups courtesy of Square Enix and Enix before them.
>changed "Dragon Quest" to "Dragon Warrior" because they were scared the creators of some literally who board game would sue them for it
>released Dragon Quest I for the NES three years after it was released in Japan so it looked outdated compared to shit like Zelda
>the 16-bit consoles were already out by the time Enix decided to release II, III and IV so nobody bought them
>V, VI and the SNES remakes were never released outside Japan
>VII, a PS1 game, was released over a year after the PS2 came out and about two months before Final Fantasy X
>starting with VIII, the games got a completely different localization style and Europe finally started getting them
>after the IX and the DS remakes came out, complete radio silence(besides a few smartphone ports) until Dragon Quest Heroes around five years later
>X, an MMO, was never released outside Japan
>the West had to wait five years for VII 3DS to be released
>we still don't know if we're getting XI
>>
alright guys, i wanna play DQ4,
which one is the best version?
>>
>>376703606
plus stop comparing rpgs to fucking street fighter to make a combo, it's about strategy, taking what choices you made in the game and making them work later on an building on them, even making your characters work off each other.
>>
>>376693175
DQ isn't for normalfags in the West so the audience knows better than to buy a shitty 3DS port of a PS2 game.
>>
>>376703935
android
>>
>>376703964
>mash attack until low on health
>then use healing spell
>then continue to mash attack

>strategy

not the anon you're responding to but I agree with his point, turn based combat is fine but most of them have little to no strategy involved in them beyond maybe boss fights.
>>
>>376703765
>>376703964
no it's not like playing on easy mode at all, choosing the commands myself isn't even remotely comparable to selecting a difficulty because it's not actually going to make the game difficult
even if I didn't use the AI to play for me it'd make no difference, I'd still be choosing the same moves the AI does because they're the quickest way to end random encounters.
>>
>>376704878
yeah and generally you lose. Do you even play rpgs? Try that shit on creatures immune to attack or high defense, or try your luck when magic seems to back fire and heal the bad guy.
I know you are over simplifying things to make a point anon, but common.
>>
>>376690646
Turn based outdated rubbish combat, weeb art style, generic and unoriginal storylines, refuses to change in order to appeal to new fans in thr West, worse in every single way than FF. And retards wonder why the West despises this franchise?
>>
>>376699394
What the fuck man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cRMLNMBwS8
>>
>>376705019
>even if I didn't use the AI to play for me it'd make no difference, I'd still be choosing the same moves the AI does because they're the quickest way to end random encounters.
except you dont, you let the AI do it for you so you never know. You have to have some one hold your hand to make it easier for you.
And yes it does compare to easy mode because you have the AI picking up the slack for instead of you doing it yourself. You just have a short attention span.
>>
>>376701535
Snes9x
>>
>>376705214
>Do you even play rpgs?
Do you?
go Final Fantasy,
it's attack and attack and attack.
go persona,
it's weakness and weakness and weakness.

there's no strategy involved once u get passed the first hit on the newly met monsters~
>>
>>376705214
>Try that shit on creatures immune to attack or high defense
then just change over to your strongest magic
>try your luck when magic seems to back fire and heal the bad guy.
So you used fire bolt on the flying fireball, use water bolt on him instead and do bonus damage.

Alright I'll admit I'm being somewhat hyperbolic but not nearly as much as I wish I was.
Basic things like positioning or joint attacks barely even exist in the overwhelming majority of turned based RPGs.
>>
>>376705438
I don't just play final fantasy and persona, hence the point, even in Final fantasy you come across monsters by your strategy doesn't work. Then you have class choices and and stats, I mean why ever play an rpg if all you think it is is another hack and slash?
>>
>>376690646
I like Toriyama's art style.
>>
>>376705549
>then just change over to your strongest magic
doesn't work their defence is high in physical and magical.
>So you used fire bolt on the flying fireball, use water bolt on him instead and do bonus damage.
wow guess what you just figured out babies first strategy. But wait it didn't kill the monster and it has more hp than you and isfaster so it goes 3 ttimes per turn, and it heals it self!
>>
>>376705381
i don't know how the fuck else to explain this to you, letting the AI not fight for me doesn't make the game harder at all, i'm literally going to use the same fucking moves. look man if you love turn-based games that's fine i don't give a shit, but everything you've posted so far is completely irrelevant and you just grasping at straws trying to make it seem like it's my fault the game is simple enough to play itself.
>>
Anyone who thinks they can get by just pressing confirm to auto attack needs to play more RPGs.

Try some other games out, like Persona where chaining weakness is required or Etrian Odyssey, where you need to plan out actions that enfeeble your enemies or you'll get wrecked.
>>
>>376705549
>Basic things like positioning or joint attacks barely even exist in the overwhelming majority of turned based RPGs.
you can make that argument for any type of game.
platforming oh you just jump and avoid things.
Fps you shoot
DMC games, just hack and slash
you can make the same type of simplistic argument.
>>
>/v/
>good at video games
>>
>>376700298
I fucking hope there will be a watered down 3DS version cause I ain't got a PS4.
>>
>>376705790
again because you let it do the hard thinking for you and say oh I would have done the same thing... if I new from the start. Might as well cheat off the asain kid in class because I know the answer but letting him do it first is a viable option and has him do my thinking for me.

My point is fully justified, you are lazy and want everything with out time and effort. That's your problem.
>>
>>376705604
>even in Final fantasy you come across monsters by your strategy doesn't work.
rarely,
and which i said,
it takes only ONE hit to realize it's strong against attack.
and it will remain the same for the rest of the game.
>>
>>376705787
>but what do you do when it's invulnerable to all damage and it can move multiple times a go and it's any damage it can take it can immediately heal back up
I'm sure you've got some tiny amount of cherry picked enemies on list to counter my point about a genre that's existed for 40 years and consists of thousands of games.
I'm also sure there's a game you can show to me in which every other random encounter is exactly like this.

>>376705908
What sort of fucking strawman are you trying to make?
Positioning is a major aspect of platforming, FPS games, hack and slashers, fighting games and a shit ton of other genres.
Positioning literally doesn't exist in the overwhelming majority of turn based RPGs, which is pretty fucking funny because it's strategically degraded from 35 fucking years ago with the bard's tale games.

Take this the other way if you think I'm over simplifying the genre. What mechanics do most turn based RPGs contain that adds strategic depth to them?
>>
because the artstyle makes them think it's gonna be dragonball, and it's not.
>>
>>376690646
Anime art styles can only go so far in the West
>>
>>376700298
They localized Builders and BOTH Heroes games. It's coming. They've basically confirmed it already anyway.
>>
>>376706242
>rarely
bull shit
and it only takes a lucky hit after checkING what didn't work in trial and error, you aren't a genius anon your over simplification is proof if that.
>>
I want to impregnate Maribel.
>>
>>376705908
>platforming oh you just jump and avoid things.
>Fps you shoot
>DMC games, just hack and slash
>you can make the same type of simplistic argument.
wait, you autistic kids don't feel the same on that?
Platforming is the best among these because at least it's about the levels design instead of that jump and avoid part.
For fps, it's boring as fuck and feel the same after you play one of it.
which is why making a movie-game with fps will be great, because it's what keep people continue to play
while DmC is just boring hack and slash until you gets to the boss fight,
atleast you can enjoy the eye candy sfx and cuhraazyyy moves, which you will get bored of half way in the game

U guys must have autism if you don't think it's repetitive and get bored soon enough.
this is why Story > Gameplay.
>>
>>376706268
>Positioning is a major aspect of platforming, FPS games, hack and slashers, fighting games and a shit ton of other genres.
>Positioning literally doesn't exist in the overwhelming majority of turn based RPGs, which is pretty fucking funny because it's strategically degraded from 35 fucking years ago with the bard's tale games.
read again you moron, I was making a point how you can over simplify using anon's same tactic.
>>
>>376706446
You just don't like games
>>
>>376706352
>They've basically confirmed it already anyway.
haha no
>>
>>376706391
>and it only takes a lucky hit after checkING what didn't work in trial and error
What's so hard in checking what din't work?
You just attack every monsters you meet,
and if failed, go magic,
WHOA,THATS SO HARD!!!
maybe if you're retarded, it's hard.
and don't give me hypothetical bullshit like "not only it's strong against physical attack, it's only weakness is Thunder too!"
Because that only happen in persona,
and it's boring as hell,
because there's ZERO strategy involved.
It's all trial and error until you found the right weakness for it.
so, in the end, RPG games still have no strategy involved.
>>
>>376706268
>Take this the other way if you think I'm over simplifying the genre. What mechanics do most turn based RPGs contain that adds strategic depth to them?
Classes, special abilities to just one character, STATS.
>>
>>376706464
But I've mentioned things that don't exist in the genre, your retarded strawman tangent only mentions things that are in other genres.

If you're butthurt about me oversimplifying I'll make the same request as I did in my last post.
What mechanics do most turn based RPGs contain that gives strategic depth to them meaning that mashing attack / the blatantly obvious magic attack the enemy is weak to and then healing when you're low on health isn't at the very least an incredibly viable tactic in the overwhelming majority of the game?
>>
>>376706689
>What's so hard in checking what din't work?
>You just attack every monsters you meet,
>and if failed, go magic,
>WHOA,THATS SO HARD!!!
>maybe if you're retarded, it's hard.
>and don't give me hypothetical bullshit like "not only it's strong against physical attack, it's only weakness is Thunder too!"
>Because that only happen in persona,
>and it's boring as hell,
>because there's ZERO strategy involved.
>It's all trial and error until you found the right weakness for it.
>so, in the end, RPG games still have no strategy involved.
appently it is for you since all you can do is attack heal and rinse wash repeat. I garentee that you didn't beat an rpg doing this because there are always enemies that change the rules.
>>
File: dragon-quest-x-04-14-17-1.png (799KB, 1274x716px) Image search: [Google]
dragon-quest-x-04-14-17-1.png
799KB, 1274x716px
nobody gives two fucks about dq11. they should finally localise dq X. could have saved the wii u but nope. they released ff14 but not this one which is the best console mmorpg to date. nice job square enix.
>>
>>376706794
>But I've mentioned things that don't exist in the genre, your retarded strawman tangent only mentions things that are in other genres.
you've been strawmaning this entire rpg you fucking hypocrite. All you've been doing was taking out the basics of turn based and saying that all folks. Don't fucking deny it.
>>
File: 1494004718828.jpg (6KB, 223x251px) Image search: [Google]
1494004718828.jpg
6KB, 223x251px
One thing I dislike about japs is that they tend to do this pretty arrogant thing: If they have a really successful and popular franchise in Japan, they kind of like to keep it to themselves. They might bring it overseas, but it's often done in a very half-assed manner.

Stuff like Dragon Quest, Yakuza, Pesona. Consumers outside of Japan are a total afterthought unless said franchise is much bigger in the west. It has gotten much better of course, but it's still insane to me that stuff like Persona 5 localization is happening in 2017.

Also spare me from the-
>I'm a total weeb and this is a good thing.
>>
>>376706446
>U guys must have autism if you don't think it's repetitive and get bored soon enough.
>this is why Story > Gameplay.
this why people think you are a retard.
>>
>>376706967
>All you've been doing was taking out the basics of turn based and saying that all folks.
and you've still not been able to show that there's anything other than the basics I've listed.
at least >>376706707 attempts to but even that leaves out the main point of the genre overwhelmingly being about what I've specified before hand. That you can choose between a paladin or a barbarian doesn't make any difference in the case that the majority of the time they're going to be spamming attack / their strongest ability in every fight.
>>
>>376690646
>Why don't the west like Dragon Quest?
Because it's a really simplistic and generic RPG series that never made it big in the west, japan has a DQ cult because it was the first console RPG, but even there the series sell by brand power more than actual quality, much like FF.
Japs like it because it's inoffensive and bland enough to suit a wide variety of people's taste, I even remember one JP guy who said it's basically the curry equivalent of RPGs.

Also, by now it's pretty clear the west doesn't actually like RPGs considering The Witcher is classified as a RPG and the only "RPGs" that sell are FPS with variable stats or action games with numbers and raunchy sex simulators, though now that I think about it the last one was common in old games like Ultima too.
>>
Waiting patiently for XI localization.

Still playing DQH2, just a few weapons and some fucking proficiency grinding to finish it up.
>>
>>376700298
It's coming, but the PS4 version only.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-12-05-32-39.png (326KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-12-05-32-39.png
326KB, 1080x1920px
>>376707196
aparrently you don't play many rpgs if you think that's all there is, oh does barbarian use a shield and have good defence? no? Does Knight have berserk that raises specific stats in battle? no? oh wow the difference and I just scrached the surface.
>>
>>376707421
also spamming attack still doesn't work, you made no real point other than its all the same and still you are wrong. You belittle the facts because it blows you out of the water.
>>
>>376698745

that's fucking funny. No wonder VII and VIII aged like milk and IX is more timeless.
>>
>>376690646
They grabbed me with VIII, and then they went and put IX on a fucking hand held and made X an MMO.
I'm cautiously hyped for XI, I don't like that it isn't developed by Level 5.
>>
>>376698931

I never minded the accents. Just didn't like how egregious they were in the DS remakes.
>>
>>376699394

DRAGON QUEST OSTS USING BRASS HORNS? NOOOOOOOO REALLY?!
>>
>>376701202

you are literally crying that the definitive versions of half the franchise's installments are on handhelds. I thought PCfags hated jrpgs anyway.
>>
>>376702606

>played the least newbie friendly installment of the series first

your fucking fault in the first place. should have played VIII.
>>
>>376707569
eh teenagers are idiots
>>
>>376702847

>says he hates the combat without explaining why and defending other shit TBC systems like Chrono Cross

really activates those Timbrels of Tension.
>>
>>376703107

what turn based thing does the west like that isn't japanese?

Hard Mode: No tabletop or D&D shit.
>>
>>376707996
it's because he plays mature games for mature people
>>
>>376693052
Wanting everything to be serious is actually a very adolescent mindset.
>>
>>376707814
>I thought PCfags hated jrpgs anyway.
PCfags hate anything that isn't on PC, actually, they hate most of the stuff that is on PC too.
But boy when a game comes to PC it's suddenly the best thing ever.
>>
>>376706352

>They localized Builders and BOTH Heroes games. It's coming.

uh huh that's nice, WHERE THE FUCK IS MONSTERS?
>>
File: 1422243313530.png (440KB, 379x417px) Image search: [Google]
1422243313530.png
440KB, 379x417px
Where is Pc Builders
>>
>>376707421
>one class needs healing more often
>one class can do more damage (beserk is a generic do more damage skill, don't try to bullshit me about strategic complexity)
and that argues against my point about use strongest attack > heal when low on health how?
>>376707502
>and still you are wrong.
Then provide some evidence to the contrary dipshit. Is it a staple of the genre to have classes that differ in a way other than just what their go to skill to heal / shit out damage is? Sure you can get summoners or barbarians or knights or archers or a shit ton of other things but they still boil down to dealing damage and using a select handful of skills / attacks that are better than the others purely because they deal higher numbers.

>>376707502
>spamming attack still doesn't work
Nigger basically the entire FF, DQ, Pokemon, Mother, Digimon, Mario RPG and a shit ton of other series I can't think of right now is exactly that.
How about you provide some games in which what you're saying is true instead of just constantly saying "no ur wrong" with literally no evidence to support it you little shit?
>>
>>376708263

>Mother

And caught you. Mother 3 actively punishes you for spamming basic attacks by not doing much and special attacks needing rhythm based inputs requiring you to pay attention.
>>
>>376708263
>and that argues against my point about use strongest attack > heal when low on health how?
meaning there are classes that have different stats that can do varying damage like damage over time, or the enemy is immune to damage or the fact knight can use block to protect healer or if not Knight isn't there andOnsted trashes healer and then you are fucked or use an item, wow you point is meaningless!
>Then provide some evidence to the contrary dipshit. I
I did you just ignore it because it your head is so far up your ass.
>Nigger basically the entire FF, DQ, Pokemon, Mother, Digimon, Mario RPG and a shit ton of other series I can't think of right now is exactly that.

It has an attack there for its all the same. Got it, just like platforming has jumping therefore it's all the same.
>>
>>376708263
mario rpg you need timing rythm as well, pokemon you have to switch out can't just do tackle all the time.
>>
>>376708263
Other then >>376708690 do play Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter and try telling me no strategy is involved. Most people quit the game since it has such a harsh penalty system.
>>
>>376690646
DQ8 did very well for getting almost no advertising at all though. After that SE kinda put the series on the backburner though. Handheld RPGs just don't sell that well in the west, the MMO never got localized period, and literally nobody cares about the three dozen spin offs with heavy fanservice for games that never really officially came out here.
It's honestly SE's fault that DQ isn't FF big here like it is in Nippon, it very easily could have been had they placed their priorities differently and kept making titles like DQ8 with actual support behind them.
>>
Because it's a shit game and it looks like dragon Ball, which is a shit anime
>>
>>376709048
Meme
>>
>>376699394
Heavenly Flight and A Lonely Youth are musical kino, though.
>>
>>376708263
REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>376708690
>basic attacks by not doing much and special attacks needing rhythm based inputs requiring you to pay attention.
but it's the basic attacks, not the special ones that "need" rhythm based inputs, and the game is incredibly easy to complete without ever taking advantage of the system.
Also I'm glad that your point is so strong you can only find fault in one of the 30+ examples I gave.

>>376708769
>different stats that can do varying damage like damage over time,
So it's still just damage, fire attacks that can inflict burn or poisonous attacks are still just shitting more damage, thank you for agreeing with my point. you'd have a better point if you made note of how electric attacks can cause paralysis or ice attacks can freeze or something instead
The only one you've really got is the idea of knights having the ability to protect but again how staple is something like that in the genre as a whole?

>>376708825
>you have to switch out can't just do tackle all the time.
but you can beat literally the whole game doing exactly that, just replace tackle with the strongest attack you have at the time.

>>376709002
Firstly, thank you for actually fucking supplying a game rather than just saying "no ur wrong" with no examples to the contrary.
Why do you specify just that game though rather than the BoF series as a whole?
>>
>>376709121
>not Joyous Song and Busy City Streets
>>
>>376709608
>but you can beat literally the whole game doing exactly that, just replace tackle with the strongest attack you have at the time.
if types weren't involved and cool down maybe and speed stats and AV stats and EV stats and evolutions. You are really over simplifying every turn based to just a common theme all games do, I press button I attack.
>>
>>376691295
Toriyama has great art but DQ is just him recycling the same 30 year old designs over and over again, he even uses stuff from Dragon Ball.
>>
>DQIX
>Priest learns Multiheal
>Paladin learns Kabuff
>No way to get both without having both classes in your party

Let me tell you why that's bullshit, my man.
>>
>>376709608
The only one you've really got is the idea of knights having the ability to protect but again how staple is something like that in the genre as a whole? Finafantasy does it all the time, including weapons that have special abilities. No one was saying attacks didn't happen and you are proving your own point wrong by pointing out status effects. You are all over the place, if anything you agree with me that there is more to it than a simple attack, but you want to play I'm right card when you've been wrong this entire time. It's not that simple and all you've been doin was talking out your ass.
>>
>>376710020
omniheal > multiheal
>>
>>376709608
>Firstly, thank you for actually fucking supplying a game rather than just saying "no ur wrong" with no examples to the contrary.
>Why do you specify just that game though rather than the BoF series as a whole?
it's because it's common knowledge that proves you don't have. This is why people call you an idiot.
>>
>>376690646
I just avoid JRPGs in general because all the ones I've played were boring. FF6, Legend of Mana, Legend of Dragoon, Okage, Steambot Chronicles, .hack, White Knight Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, few others I forget.

The games are just not compelling. My favorite aspect of any of them is just the world consistency like NPCs changing dialog as you progress, but everything else is a drag, and 99% of the time I find the art style lousy.

There's a creative difference between those games and then old WRPGs like Icewind Dale, Planescape, Gold Box games, Ultima, Fallout, etc. In those games I feel like the horizon is much broader, even if it's not so true. In JRPGs the funneling is transparent and the focus feels more on the numbers. I don't feel like I'm being cast into an open world to fend for myself, I feel like I'm being cast into a linear novel.
>>
>>376709608
Breath of Fire IV does have a combo and row system which I also feel has strategy.

For DQ/BoF5 it often is compared to a survival horror/jrpg hybrid. Firstly positiin in battle matters greatly in how effective your attacks are and who is hit. The main strategy comes in how your main character has a meter that is constantly building up. Any action builds this meter up, even moving. When it reaches 100% you're done. I don't mean game over, that file is done. Most take multiple playthroughes to even complete it.
>>
>>376709875
>weren't involved and cool down maybe and speed stats and AV stats and EV stats and evolution
but with all them involved spamming your strongest attack is still an incredibly easily tactic to beat the entire game with.

>>376710063
you are proving your own point wrong by pointing out status effects. You are all over the place, if anything you agree with me that there is more to it than a simple attack, but you want to play I'm right card when you've been wrong this entire time. It's not that simple and all you've been doin was talking out your ass.
I'm trying to have a discussion, that most of the people on this board are incapable of doing so isn't my problem and it really shouldn't be in my court to provide you counterarguments to my own statements yet I'm still having to.
Thank you for the discussion and actually eventually coming to mechanics that exist in a good amount of games that challenges my original statement.

>>376710127
What? You're specifying a specific game rather than the series as a whole because it's common knowledge? Do the other games not have the mechanics or what?

>>376710221
Sounds interesting, I'll try it out. It's a shame more games of the genre don't have battle positions despite the bard's tale games having them back in the early 80's
>>
>do the right advertising and release DQ8 in the west
>shit sells with shit ton of copies everywhere
>gamers enjoy the adventure and orchestral soundtrack
>everyone knows that game around 2006
>release a bunch of DQ on the DS
>few copies available and just the fans knew they existed

Square is terrible to other brands other than FF or KH
>>
>>376710743
>but with all them involved spamming your strongest attack is still an incredibly easily tactic to beat the entire game with.
it's not because you still need to use status enducing moves to win.
>>
>>376710936
>you need tail whip to beat the game
no.
Again, if you think what I'm saying is wrong, try to give example moves rather than just saying "no ur wrong"
>>
>>376710743
>I'm trying to have a discussion, that most of the people on this board are incapable of doing so isn't my problem and it really shouldn't be in my court to provide you counterarguments to my own statements yet I'm still having to.
>Thank you for the discussion and actually eventually coming to mechanics that exist in a good amount of games that challenges my original statement.
When you accuse every one being dumb it's usually you who is the idiot who can't seem to grasp that fact. If you weren't so heel bent on being right and being an asshole then it would have been a discussion. But no you chose to be an asshole.
>>
>>376711025
no your wrong
>>
>>376710201
>I don't feel like I'm being cast into an open world to fend for myself, I feel like I'm being cast into a linear novel.
>Legend of Mana
>Linear novel

Of all the stupid posts in this thread this is something special.
>>
>>376710743
>What? You're specifying a specific game rather than the series as a whole because it's common knowledge? Do the other games not have the mechanics or what?
rpgs as a whole, you would notice that all turn based aren't the same and aren't executed the same way if you played more or grew your knowledge.
>>
>>376710743
>>376709002 and >>376710127 are different people. I was the guy who suggested BoF:DQ. Also I don't have much experience with them but the mainline SMT games are said to have a greater emphasis on buffs/debuff/status. Live A Live also has a grid system in battles, if you you stay in place you're fucked.
>>
>>376698931
Same, the Scottish accents remind me of Limmy's Show.
>>
>>376690646
I grew up with SNES JRPGs, but I personally just don't like the dragonball art. I wouldn't be surprised, as popular as dragonball was, if that contributed to it not selling as well.

However, I'm currently ca. 50h in 7 for the 3DS.
>>
>>376711145
>When you accuse every one being dumb
I've hardly done that, but that its taken dozens of posts for someone to at least provide an actual example, i.e. a game in >>376709002 to counter my main point shows a general lack of basic argumentative capability. I mean providing examples to your claims is shit that you're taught when you're ten years old or so.
> If you weren't so heel bent on being right
but I'm not, I'm trying to have a discussion, being right or wrong really isn't relevant to me in such a meaningless topic. People can discuss things without having to incessantly crave over being correct on the things they're discussing you know. I'm sorry if you feel that someone continuing to engage in a discussion make them an asshole.

>>376711431
Thanks for the other recommendations anon, playing Persona 3 now but both this and the other I've played (Nocturne) whilst adding a little more still doesn't seem to be anything greater than spamming de/buffs and then spamming your attacks and weaknesses are the exact same just taken to the nth degree.
>>
>>376698931
the only one it's really bad in is DQ IV DS since they garble up the dialogue so heavily and make it really difficult to read. In other localisations it's fine.
>>
>>376711801
>I'm sorry if you feel that someone continuing to engage in a discussion make them an asshole.
you need to learn how to engage people into a discussion then because your behavior in the course of this thread shows you have 0 people skills and autistic. When you think it's everyone's fault but you, it's you.
>>
>>376711695
>I'm currently ca. 50h in 7 for the 3DS.
So how are you enjoying the prologue?
>>376711801
>but I'm not, I'm trying to have a discussion
This is the first time I actually respond to your inane drivel, but the fact that you don't seem to realize how fundamentally stupid your premise is and why you're ticking people off makes me worried about your social awareness.
Then again, you know nothing about japanese RPGs so it doesn't surprise me, you're the umpteenth /v/irgin who thinks his ludicrous "opinion" based on pathetically superficial knowledge of a genre somehow validates an embarassingly meaningless, if not tragically fallacious statement.

Get a grip on reality, son, if more than one people call you out on your shit maybe there's also a problem on your end.
>>
I want to go back and beat DQ7 but it is too boring. After I got classes I just got bored.
>>
>>376712601
Dude, you should. It goes from good to phenomenal at that point. Not agree but I feel VII is the best in the series.
>>
>>376712782
What the fuck? Meant to type "Most don't agree...".
>>
>>376712558
>So how are you enjoying the prologue?
Well, for one, I know there is a demon king.
>>
Western normies cant deal with the lack of instant gratification
>>
>>376712782
How much of a waifu is that redhead in DQ7? I've been thinking of buying it on the 3DS. Or is it on the surface and never develops into a confession?
>>
File: ps4-vs-switch.jpg (474KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ps4-vs-switch.jpg
474KB, 1280x720px
LMAO
>>
>>376713983
the one on the right is clearly from the 3DS version, are you even trying?
>>
File: 1473915350588.png (190KB, 2560x1884px) Image search: [Google]
1473915350588.png
190KB, 2560x1884px
>>376713750
>buying
>>
>>376706858
Dude, you're just proving that RPG fans are retarded. I mean fuck, I have way more respect for Pokemon than virtually any other JRPG because there you can face against people who will force you to think about how to counter them. But fans of 'heavier' JRPGs can never seem to explain what the hell makes their pet games so strategic.

I mean, fucking hell, most turn based JRPGs end up basically dropping even the elemental and status systems late game and have you rely on mostly 'neutral' damage, because these always end up being the strongest.
>>
>>376691295
But I DO!
>>
>>376712023
>you have 0 people skills and autistic
You can't even put sentences together, you shitty little teenager. Get fucked, you're going to love growing up.
>>
>>376690646
The west likes DQ, it just doesn't love it as much as FF and other big series. This is the big problem, because SQ expects DQ to sell as well in the west as it does in Japan.
>>
>>376690646
The west doesn't like turn based.
>>
>>376693371
every manga artist ever
>>
File: dragon quest XI.jpg (756KB, 800x1007px) Image search: [Google]
dragon quest XI.jpg
756KB, 800x1007px
NEVER EVER
>>
During the NES days we got DQ very late compared to when it came out in Japan and you could tell it was much older than Final Fantasy.

Then DQ completley disappeared in the west during the JRPG golden age of SNES and PS1. Dragon Quest VII came out almost a year after the PS2. 2 months before Final Fantasy X.
>>
>>376709917
That's false. His DQ stuff is way more varied than his DB stuff. There's even a quote by Toriyama about how DQ allows him to do much more than DB because he's just drawing static promotional art.
>>
>>376720718
I'm guessing DQH3 won't come out until after XI?
>>
Guys how do I patch DQ8 ? I have NTR CFW but can't load the plugin when I'm in game
>>
File: (banter stops).jpg (94KB, 602x709px) Image search: [Google]
(banter stops).jpg
94KB, 602x709px
It's not that west hates it, SE doesn't want people to like it for whatever reason all these years. Only recently have they started bringing stuff over because it seems they grew the fuck up.
>>
My friends hate anime art styles. Anime = Faggotry and no one wants to look like a Faggy Nerd playing Dragon Quest. Imagine your dad walking into the room while you fight a big smiling blue pile of goo while your scantily dressed witch strikes a victory pose silently. It's just too gay to have in your house if you are a self respecting adult.
>>
>>376722168
Enix and Nintendo took a big loss pushing Dragon Warrior in the NES days. Nintendo gave away copies for free just to get the series established and it didn't work.
>>
>>376722510
That was way the fuck back then, and they kept releasing the GBC games after.
>>
>>376722168
Squeenix got a new CEO a few years back
>>
>>376722584
Thank fuck.

>>376722468
You talking shit about Slimes m8?
>>
>>376722510
>release Dragon Quest, a bare bones RPG in the west in 1989, well after the success of Final Fantasy
>Wonder why western audiences didn't pick up on it
>Don't bother marketing the other ones
>I guess the west hates Dragon Quest!
>>
>>376722468
Well maybe if weren't a pathetic fuck who lives in his parents home you could grow sime balls and not be afraid to playba videogame in your own home.
>>
>>376722570
There was no good time to jump back in during the SNES. Dragon Warrior IV came out in the US in 1992, after Final Fantasy IV. Enix said "fuck it, we are gonna skip some games too" and planned for VII to be their big shot at the West again. It still took too long.
>>
>>376690646
the west really like dq8
anywho, over the years before dq8 ps2, they fucked up by not porting the series.
we ended up missing key versions of major games.
-dq3 snes? jap only.
-dq4 ps1? jap only
-dq5 ps2? jap only

the dq8 port we got was amazing.
-full voice acting. orchestrated ost.
-super saiyan hair for tension.
-completely new type of pause menu instead of text only.
none of it was in the jap version.

but then they fucked up after dq8 ps2.
-dq4 ds removed half the text in the game because they didn't want to translate the party chat and removed it entirely.
it also went insane with text accents, making some towns have to be deciphered. this also affected the later ds games but they weren't as extreme.
-dq7 3ds removed the orchestrated ost from the jap version and replaced it with synth.
-dq8 3ds also removed the orchestrated ost.
we never got an official word why they had to ruin the music.
>>
>>376722990
It's still a faggy looking anime game with silent characters and an embarrassing art style tho.
>>
>>376723054
Squaresoft knowing which Final Fantasy's to skip for the West and going for full 3D is really what won them the battle.
>>
>>376691295
First I'm fine with turn based. But most dragon quest games have the same exact gameplay in every game. And the story is nowhere near exciting or interesting enough to carry what is basically the same game 10+ times.
Secondly the art style is mostly non existent since a good chunk of the series is pixel shit. And if it isn't pixelshit its Toriyama's sameface art.
>>
>>376723094
Cry more nigger
>>
>>376723442
>Wonders why Chads won't try Dragon Quest
>>
>>376723630
>chads

Oh no, the guys that only care for CoD and sports games won't play an actual game? Whatever will we do?
>>
>>376723630
Good, Chads are fags with shitty taste, why would we want those to like these games?
>>
>>376723442
Why would you rub a slime on your face?
>>
>>376723737
Could you imagine if Chads suddenly gained interest in DQ over one little thing?

Now imagine that thing being all DQ revolves around now, just to appeal to chads and other normies.
>>
>>376723690
>Gets Angery at the thought that normal well adjusted adults get turned off by the style.
>Series caters to small audience that doesn't justify bringing the titles to the west.
Hope you're learning Japanese :^)
>>
File: confused eddy.jpg (40KB, 960x724px) Image search: [Google]
confused eddy.jpg
40KB, 960x724px
>>376723889
>chads
>normal well-adjusted adults
>pompous over-confidant douchebags are normal adults
>>
>>376724035
Your autism is showing.
Anyway they need to really bring in another artist, change the battle style to ARPG, orchestral pieces, and maybe some sort of competitive online mode (maybe feeds into mobile game and transfers to main game)
>>
File: Stop immediately.jpg (24KB, 319x283px) Image search: [Google]
Stop immediately.jpg
24KB, 319x283px
>>376724035
Dude just stop, you're falling for shitty bait
>>
File: who put you on the planet.jpg (132KB, 600x940px) Image search: [Google]
who put you on the planet.jpg
132KB, 600x940px
>>376724142
>Anyway they need to really bring in another artist, change the battle style to ARPG, orchestral pieces, and maybe some sort of competitive online mode (maybe feeds into mobile game and transfers to main game)
>>
>>376691295
I really like turn based combat though. My problem with dragonquest is that it has no flavor most of the time.

A lot of DQ's don't have a job system whatsoever, for instance.
>>
>>376690646
What is medieval goku doing with medieval bulma and medieval piccolo?
>>
>>376724375
Muh Jobs
>makes grinding x10 longer
>>
File: 12522454536.jpg (7KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
12522454536.jpg
7KB, 225x224px
>>376690646
Id kill for the rerelease with the extra characters to be on PC or a console I could emulate instead on a shitty handheld.

Fucking hell I hate handheld fags so much.
>>
>>376724439
At least it's better than everyone being virtually the same and using normal attacks often because you just don't have a lot of interesting skills.
>>
>>376723630
self inserting this much" hahahahaha videogames are for fun and not some kind of pathetic social construct or level,
>>
File: erect.png (1MB, 1111x1030px) Image search: [Google]
erect.png
1MB, 1111x1030px
>yfw Team Terry is thinking about translating the 3DS remake of the Dragon Quest Monsters 2 games
>>
>>376700298
It's probably being localized by the guys who translated Builders right now.
>>
I enjoy them a lot. 3 is probably my favorite. But honestly they make it hard for the series to pick up traction here with the inconsistent releases and strange business practices. No way a niche rpg is going to sell as well as FF if you don't promote it. I think I saw only one DQ Builders ad in a free walmart magazine the whole time leading up to its release. IIRC they didn't even market the DS games, Nintendo did.
>>
>>376713750
Not really waifu-tier. She's 100% tsun and leaves the party a little over halfway through the game.
>>
>>376724698
>3DS remake of the Dragon Quest Monsters
Can you sell me on it?
>>
File: DQM1_Box.jpg (78KB, 538x474px) Image search: [Google]
DQM1_Box.jpg
78KB, 538x474px
>>376725819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTjLzbmDdPU
>>
>>376709917
Toriyama is the epitome of work smarter, not harder mantra.
>>
>>376725926
What sets it apart from just another dragon quest?
>>
>>376724402
you forgot medieval yajirobe
>>
>>376724698
>not DQMJ3
Eeh...
>>
File: DQVIDS_-_Sea_slime.png (51KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
DQVIDS_-_Sea_slime.png
51KB, 243x207px
>>376690646
I remember watching my cousin play Rocket Slime years back.
I'm only just going into the series for the first time with an IX I got from a garage sale, and it's excellent. I genuinely cannot tell you why they don't like it if that's true, the game is immensely charming and fun, and I like nice meaty jrpgs.
>>
File: DQ_-_Gold_golem[1].png (60KB, 277x290px) Image search: [Google]
DQ_-_Gold_golem[1].png
60KB, 277x290px
Does anyone know where Gold Golems are in DQ7?

I've been searching through Google all last night for the answer.
>>
>>376728250
You talking about the rocketslime3 on the 3ds? I thought about downloading but the lack of kanji and 100% hiragana was a turn down.
>>
>>376728902
No, Rocket Slime 2 (or just "Rocket Slime) on the DS.
He said that if I ever got the game (never had the money) to use the rabbit castle because of the carrot rocket.
>>
I know you all already know this but it bears repeating: dragon warrior monsters was 100 times better than pokemon red/blue. I was very lucky as a kid to pick that box out, got hundreds of hours out of that game
>>
>>376698931
It's completely overblown on /v/. It absolutely makes sense for these characters to have the accents that they have, european fantasy setting and all.

It's only a problem in DQ4 DS because they go completely overboard with it the scottish accent. In the other games I don't mind it at all.
>>
>>376729234
Carrot rocket is shit. Slival's tank is much better.
>>
>>376731186
Dunno what that is. He just said that it does lots of damage.
>>
>>376699394
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftf3IlzEaLo

DQ4 had quite a varied soundtrack.
>>
>>376693175

Still not too bad for a game that came out on PS2 years ago, and had a voiceless droid port a year or so back.

For the record, I bought the 3ds version as I got weird graphics glitches when I emulated it.
>>
>>376728250
the only DQ games i've played to completion are rocketslime and DQ Builders

i've played a meager amount of the actual RPGs but nowhere near as much as I'd need to in order to say "yeah i played the games"
Feels wierd only experiencing the spinoffs of a series when i know full well how good the mainline games are. I just have so many games and so little time
>>
File: dq5-debora-briscoletti.jpg (132KB, 650x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dq5-debora-briscoletti.jpg
132KB, 650x1200px
I'm replaying DQ5 now, and usually pick Bianca for my wife. But his time I went with Debora. What am I in for lads?
>>
>>376698931

Love the over the top accents, especially the cockney cat in Pickham

('issssss')
>>
>>376731471
Dragon quest 4 has one of my favourite boat themes ever. I remember being amazed at how beautiful it is when I got the boat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnfoDNg7kP8
>>
We do, but Square is convinced that we don't.
>>
File: 6173.jpg (127KB, 885x1154px) Image search: [Google]
6173.jpg
127KB, 885x1154px
>>376720429
this, Leiji Matsumoto has the same problem.
>>
>>376699394
Man, I completely disagree. The orchestral versions of DQ2, 3 and 5's soundtracks absolutely brought me to tears, they were so beautiful.
And they're real catchy in game, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JJH1uTAmxQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgdZH88jQtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY7xHNB5Fas
>>
File: DQ_anniversary.jpg (427KB, 1200x1320px) Image search: [Google]
DQ_anniversary.jpg
427KB, 1200x1320px
>>376731932
>played Builders
Try DQ1 perhaps? Builders is based on that and it can be cleared in an evening. Get the translated snes version and try it.
>>
File: deborah.png (847KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
deborah.png
847KB, 800x1200px
>>376732042
A joke about beta males being dominated by demanding wives that turns into the most fiercely loyal and loving wife in the series a few hours later.
>>
>>376728823
If you are looking for money gemslimes at the bottom of the volcano are better.

Still, check the place where you put the bells of awakening the second time. I'm almost sure they appear around there.
Basically right before you awaken the almighty
>>
>>376690646
I liked dragon quest IX, but its the only one I ever played and idk if its shit to people who played the rest
>>
>>376732229
literally who
>>
File: debora_003.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
debora_003.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>376732042
You're in for best girl.
>>
File: lotochan.jpg (629KB, 870x1150px) Image search: [Google]
lotochan.jpg
629KB, 870x1150px
>>376731932
>>376732512
I would actually say to only play DQ1 or 2 if you have a lot of tolerance for oldschool JRPGs. They're real grindy and there's not a lot of plot.

Honestly, I'd say start with DQ5, either on the DS or the translated PS2 version. Then come back later and play through DQ1-3 if you feel up for a more antiquated experience.
>>
>>376732736
Why isn't she in Heroes II? Can't she be DLC or something? Goddamnit.
>>
>>376732705
Dragon quest IX is really atypical of the series in a lot of ways, but I like it too.
>>
>>376732746
Also, to be clear, DO NOT play DQ3 without having first played DQ1.
You can skip DQ2 if you want.
>>
>>376732563
I'm just collecting now. Already got 2 gem slimes for a gold farming tablet, 3 gem jamboree for another tablet, and diamond and gold mannequins.

Would that be Poolside Cave?
>>
Garbage.
MegaTen, Pokemon, FF, and Mother are all better. It can't compete.
>>
>>376732705
Same here but I'm enjoying it.
>>
>>376733195

Yes that's the place. I'm not sure what happens if you go there later in the game, but before awakening the almighty that's where gold golems are for sure.
>>
>>376733220
bait
>>
DQ games are a franchise that drives on nostalgia and tradition

the reason the games keep the same saving system it had on NES is because that's what people back then had and now they demand that again even when it's no longer necessary but anything else is unthinkable

the west only gets DQ games sparingly and the idea of tradition has no power here so new people look at it, see 80-90's ideas on 2017 and assume is bad

it's both a cultural and historical matter
>>
>>376734386
Thanks, finally found him.

>tfw I forgot to change at least one of my party members to Monster Masher
>>
>>
>equip garter
>it doesn't show up
DQIX was showing equipments, but this doesn't? Bullshit.
>>
>>376736139
>>376736339
Is this a musou?
>>
>>376736530
Sort of? They call it ARPG, but it's more a Tower defense game, or protect "x" character",
>>
>>376736530
Kind of, I would say it's the one of the weakest of the bunch. If you want a DQ Musou, go for the second one.

Ever wondered how it's like to go to war temporarily as a Chimaera?
>>
I like this game more than I should.
>>
So the villain is basically /v/?
>>
>>376736915
>If you want a DQ Musou,
I don't think anyone has ever said they wanted a musou in history. That's like saying you want trash.
>>
>>376737386
>I don't think
That's right.
Fuck off.
>>
>>376737638
That's very ironic since you are defending musou, the most braindead genre in video game.
>>
>>376737386
oh fuck you, musou games are fun to relax to.
>>
>>376737706
I'm not the one who said I don't think. Now fuck off, retard.
>>
>>376737904
I thought you were just pretending to have a terrible reading comprehension. Were you actually serious?
>>
>>376737386
anti-musou and anti-DQ posters are just shit.
>>
People who memespout "MUH SAMEFACE" about Toriyama's art have no eye for subtlety and nuance.
>>
>>376738071
agreed, they shouldn't be allowed to post at all.
>>
>>376738045
Says the one who can't comprehend what fuck off means.

Now you really are not thinking.
>>
>>376738170
You are not even making any sense. I have no obligation to follow your orders and not doing so doesn't mean I can't comprehend what you are typing.

Even assuming such a ridiculous thing goes to show how stupid you are. Not to mention your reading comprehension is so bad I was convinced you were pretending at first.
>>
corruption fetish
they did this in DQ8 with Jessica-raphtorne
>>
File: 1471899778142.jpg (9KB, 205x286px) Image search: [Google]
1471899778142.jpg
9KB, 205x286px
>>376725926
WHY CAN'T I HAVE THIS ALONGSIDE COBY AND TARA REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: bianca.jpg (158KB, 801x1113px) Image search: [Google]
bianca.jpg
158KB, 801x1113px
>>376732042
She's the patrician choice.

And this is from somebody who always chooses Bianca. I just feel like the game guilt trips you into choosing her. It's obvious that the Hero still likes her too if you don't choose her. If you visit her with Tuppence in your party the Hero gives him a death glare when he comments on Bianca.
>>
>>376732512>>376732746

i actually nabbed the GBC version of 1+2 to emulate on my phone and sunk a couple hours into it, and I just smiled the whole time listening to the original chiptune versions of all the music in DQB. I really enjoyed the bit I played, and it is somewhere on my list of shit to finish, for sure.

I'm mostly super excited for a sequel to Builders, a bit of polish and problem fixing here and there with a bunch of new blocks/items and all that, and it'd be a fantastic game
>>
>>376738509
Holy crap, man. THINK! Just a little, THINK!
I know it's hard, but try.
>>
>>376738509
Oh wow, you really are a retard.
>>
>>376738509
alert your handler we recommend your internet time is cut short for the day
>>
The only reward is going to be the "D"
>>
>>376738987
Post Maya puff puff
>>
>>376739037
Maya puff puff?
>>
>>376739206
They give you Puff Puff randomly when you talk to them in that room
>>
>>376738628
>>376738716
>>376738971
It's funny how neither of these actually said anything at all, they all just defaulted to flinging shit.

It makes sense though, you can't possibly try to defend this level of retard reading comprehension >>376737904 with anything other than angry noises.
>>
>>376690646
needs new gameplay
>>
>>376739307
>three things
>neither

really selling your grasp on the english language here, angrypants
>>
>>376739307
Why are you trying so hard to fight others on the internet?

Just calm down, get some grind on, find some loot, relax.
>>
>>376739254
They do? Well I don't have the screenshot, because I didn't know. Will try some other time.
>>
>>376739417
Wow, you really proved it all wrong by correcting that word. Only goes to show you don't really know what to say about the actual subject at hand.
>>
>>376732528
but she's always a cunt. I mean, she clearly loves her kids but she still treats you like a bitch. I got meme'd into picking her by people like you and regretted it immensely.
>>
>>376739624
Yeah, it's a secret achievement when you get all character's Puff Puff
>>
>>376739037
Here is Bianca's puff puff. Almost feels like NTR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1eqS0vb5A
>>
>>376739639
You're absolutely correct
>>
>>376732528
THIS. 100% TRUE.
>>
>>376739671
I don't know how you can say that. She is a "bitch" to you, but it's always in a lighthearted way that she doesn't really mean. Every now and then, it comes through that she's just giving you tough love and that she cares deeply for you.
I mean she calls you her property and implies she doesn't want you to go anywhere by yourself when she could be there with you. Yes, it's to "watch" you, but the implication is that she likes you and doesn't want you to stray.
>>
File: 1440855628325.png (98KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1440855628325.png
98KB, 600x500px
>>376740057
>tfw anon is getting emotionally abused by his fictional waifu
>>
>>376739307
You really didn't say anything at all either, just Musou was trash.

This though >>376739503
Why are you so angry though?
>>
>>376690646
I know pretty much nothing about it other than it's a JRPG with a gross art style.
So why wouldn't I just play a JRPG with a GOOD art style?
>>
>>376739782
>Puff-puff
>She's actually just spraying you with a perfume bottle
I feel ripped off.
>>
>>376739671
This. Don't fall for the "she gets better" meme. From the moment you marry her till the end of the games she's a raging cunt. She has maybe one line of dialogue where she shows actual affection for the hero.
>>
File: deb.jpg (93KB, 524x675px) Image search: [Google]
deb.jpg
93KB, 524x675px
>>376740438
Nonsense. Her 'raging cunt' dialogue is all to comedic effect and she lets you know well before the end of the game that she cares for your well-being.

She's a rose with thorns, to be sure, but I feel this gives her character. She's not the traditional submissive waifu and this is on purpose, she's more interesting than that.

She also has the best battle stats of the three heavenly brides, to boot.
>>
>spell names are retarded, enemies look retarded and are poorly designed
>grindy gameplay with little variation, stories are always generic and boring
>weak music
>stupid obnoxious accents
>generic medieval RPG setting that's been done by thousands of games
Why do people like DQ at all is the real question.
DQ can't compete with something like Final Fantasy where you explore ancient (but also high tech) sky castles filled with dragons
>>
>>376698550
>>376692816
>why don't these games do well
>give reason
>B-BUT THAT'S WHY PEOPLE LIKE IT!
obviously people do not like it otherwise it would be a mainstream success, fucking hell Nintendo was 10/10 hellbent on getting DQ mainstream and it just never happened
>>
>>376740197
>Why are you so angry though?
If you actually read the first response that guy typed you'd see musou fans are the ones very angry I said musou was braindead trash.

Say what you want about the "trash" part, but it really is braindead. You probably realize that in some level.

>You really didn't say anything at all either, just Musou was trash.
To which that guy replied with something so stupid that I was convinced he was pretending. Then he continued to be retarded by saying shit like "still being here means you can't comprehend what fuck off means" which makes no sense.

I'm pointing out how stupid he is for a few posts now, and he's been trying to do the same. The difference is instead of just blindly throwing it out there I'm pointing to exactly what I'm talking about. Meanwhile he is incapable of actually refuting, so he is reduced to just doing this
>>376738716 or correcting a grammar mistake.
>>
Some japs are claiming that Epic is assisting with the Switch version of DQ11, no idea how true that is though.
From what I've seen in the screenshots of 11 is that the game looks like they aren't going over the top with the power they are given on modern consoles.
>>
>>376741486
>he

I love it when angsty whiners think that they can discern what posts are coming from who
>>
>these true pleyas who post heroes screens
>>
>>376741486
Looks like average /v/ posters, but you got serious and became angry.

You need to calm down, man.
>>
is dragon quest heroes 1 and 2 any good?
>>
>>376741486
>funposter vs seriousposter
You gotta leave. /v/ will just make you more angry.
>>
>>376742146
They're fine, I'd only recommend them if you really like DQ thought and don't mind putting up with some really boring missions.
>>
>>
>>376741638
>anime doll character models
>will likely have cringey voice acting
another flop inbound
>>
>>376742419
I want to fuck Alena
>>
>>376741486
just because you don't like Musou genre doesn't mean everyone else should.
>>
>>376742570
Game is already out and has decent jap VA but I hear the english VA is terrible.
>>
>>376741486
>Say what you want about the "trash" part, but it really is braindead. You probably realize that in some level.
This really is nothing but "do it and you'll see what I mean"

What didn't you like about it?
>>
>>376741486
>horgy shnorgy berfy sherf

man, you should avoid the internet if possible
>>
>>376742570
>>376742695
DQH with Jap VAs feel just right. Playing with Eng VAs would just feel wrong.
>>
>>376743012
DQ English VA's are generally always bad.
>>
>>376743103
DQ8 PS2 Eng VAs were fine. But I still prefer going with Jap VAs.
>>
Reminder tha Jason Schreier wrote not one, but two articles whining about how him being bad at the game is the reason the series never took off.

The Square spies are everywhere.
>>
>>376743012
I like Mabel's English VA, I can't really understand Torneko though and thank the subtitles.
>>
>>376743458
Literally who?
>>
>>376736096
I think I found a glitch, all the exit to this cave is "closed" and I can't evac.

The boulder door slides down, but there's an invisible wall and the way I came back also has an invisible wall.
>>
>>376744768
The 3DS version has a lot of bugs.
>>
>>376707569
All three games aged pretty much the same.
>>
>>376692880
There's also the monsters; Treeface, Shadow, Armor, Skeleton
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.