[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If half life 3 was released, would it be the highest grossing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

File: image.png (265KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
265KB, 2560x1440px
If half life 3 was released, would it be the highest grossing video game of all time?
>>
>>376683086
Not even remotely close.
>>
No, it'll tank as badly as Duke Nukem Forever.

The amount of time we had to wait for it builds the expectations up to unrealistic, otherworldly levels.
>>
>>376683086
jokes on you, it'll never be released
>>
No. People care about the meme more than the game.
>>
>>376683086
Only if it was open world.
>>
>>376683086
Game industry has been shit lately

If this brought new shit to the table like HL2 did in terms of TECHNOLOGY and gameplay then it might at least jumpstart inspiration in developers to make good games again.

But its never gonna live up to the hype surrounding 2, nor is it ever coming out for that matter because this game failing ala Duke Nukem Forever would leave Valve forever cucked and lose all credibility
>>
File: 1466981651267.jpg (37KB, 400x590px) Image search: [Google]
1466981651267.jpg
37KB, 400x590px
>>376683086
>never finished halflife 2 because the ceiling monsters freaked me out too much
>>
>>376683156
>le expectation meme
I fucking hate it so much. Everyone who says this is a fucktard for me.
You are the fucking problem then, not valve.
>>
No, normies have no idea what half life is.
>>
>>376683086
No, the hype would die out in a month and some custom game that will eventually be created off HL3's engine will be sold as a standalone and it will make more money than HL3 itself.
>>
>>376683086
Kids nowadays don't even know what HL2 is considering it was released 13 years ago, so HL3 would totally tank.
>>
>>376683086
Depends on what tech its selling and whether its a new gateway for modding.
>>
>>376683352
>If this brought new shit to the table like HL2 did in terms of TECHNOLOGY and gameplay
True. In order for HL3 to live up to the name of HL2, it would have to be genre-defining. A good fps with great story will just get thrown on the pile with the rest and ignored.
>>
The hype for it has peaked years ago
>>
>>376683086

I don't know about highest but it's going to gross a lot more than it deserves to. Chances are it's just going to be a half decent shooter that doesn't do anything special, probably integrating some of the portal shit, lasting 4-5 hours start to end and reviewers will go apeshit over it. Normies will jump on the hype train and pretend like they've been Half Life fans since the beginning and Valve will take another 20 years to produce HL4.
>>
Nope. The market for it is dead and most Half Life fans have moved on. It would be big news but at this point any kind of announcement would just be treated with suspicion. It wouldn't live up up the the hype anyway seeing as Valve have basically stopped being game developers and now make their money through underage online gambling.
>>
>>376683086
There would be so much scrutiny that it's doubtful it would reach anywhere near even HL1's potential.
>>
>>376683086
At this stage, most gamers don't even know why half life was ever popular.

Daily reminder, people who grew up using the PS3 and Xbox 360 are now adults/late adolescents who shitpost on this very website.
Nobody remembers how great HL2 was compared to every other game.
>>
>>376683086
No, even if the game was 10/10 the amount of time it would have took to make would have harnessed expectations impossible to achieve.
>>
>>376684096

The thing is, most of them don't care. You need to understand that market hype doesn't really seem to rely on people actually having experienced the nostalgia themselves. They just want something with a recognizable brand name and if the press is churning out hype, they'll get hyped. Media in today's day and age is kind of Pavlovian. The machine calls and the populous answers. It's why DLC and microtransaction are so widespread today. Us sad fools who have been doing this for 20 years groaned and moaned about them as loud as we could but the normies ate it up and drowned us out.

The example that always comes to my mind when I think about the average consumer today is a girl I worked with a couple years back. She was constantly getting excited over comicbook movies, TV shows, and videogames when she had even by her own admission never even consumed the original source material. All she knew was that the spheres of media she hung out in were excited so she got excited too. Her standards were pathetically low, I can remember her obnoxiously raving about how some flat moment in a show was "SOOOO AWESOME!" Half Life has a legacy. It's infamous because of how long it's taken to produce and unlike Duke Nukem it doesn't trip over the SJW's toes so there's no reason for the gaming press to put the breaks on the hype machine. HL3 will be announced to huge fanfare and while most of us won't be happy if it doesn't revolutionize gaming as we know it, the average normie will think it's amazing even if it's broken to the point of being damn near unplayable because they're going to be told it's amazing. They don't think for themselves.
>>
>>376683086
It's been long enough since HL2's release that people are finally waking up and realizing what a terrible game it is, so no I can't say people are going to be very excited for it.

>>376684096
>Nobody remembers how great HL2 was compared to every other game
Because it wasn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI
>>
>>376684961
I disagree entirely. Duke Nukem failed because it was old hat. Just like Mr. Bean being hilarious at the time, it's no longer worth anything more than a chuckle. The audience moved on and it didn't appeal as much. That combined with 40+ year old gaming journalists not being paid enough to sing praises across the ages sank the game. That, and the mediocre gameplay.

The concept of HL doesn't appeal any more to new players. Old players will be able to continue without a step, but new players won't know or care about the story. It's why most games and movie franchises end up rebooting instead of continuing.
>>
>>376683086
They probably have better success with their portal and l4d franchises desu.
>>
>>376683156
It's not the expectations that are the problem, it's that it's been so long that it's a stale joke now and nobody really even cares anymore
>>
File: 1494536136436.jpg (35KB, 317x265px) Image search: [Google]
1494536136436.jpg
35KB, 317x265px
just pls
just pls release something
source 2?
l4d3???
a fucking half life novel for fucks sake SOMETHING GABE
>>
Only like 10 people on /v/ care about half life.
>>
>>376685258
Crysis wasn't an amazing game, but people loved it because of the innovation. Same with half life 2.

I spent hours chopping up zombies and throwing shit around. There are no new games that even show that same level of innovation. Red Faction Guerrilla came close.
>>
>>376683086
I don't care, probably not.
I don't expect an amazing groundbreaking game from it.
I would just really like a final very solid love-letter to the half-life games that deliver on what made the old ones great.
If i't literally just another source-game but well thought-out and designed i'd be completely at peace with it.
>>
>>376685572
That's a pretty big reason for me too. Plus the mods. The SMODs were fun as hell.
>>
File: First-Person-Shooters-1024x624.jpg (109KB, 1024x624px) Image search: [Google]
First-Person-Shooters-1024x624.jpg
109KB, 1024x624px
>>376685386
>Duke Nukem failed because it was old hat.
On the contrary, Duke Nukem failed because of 3D Realm's attempts to "modernize" it with regenerating health, a two weapon limit, bland corridor level design, godawful vehicle sections and unskippable cutscenes all over the place. People wanted the intense and deep excitement DN3D provided which shooters long abandoned. Pic related.
>>
>>376685572
>innovation
>half life 2
Watch the video, idiot.
>>
File: this_is_nice_end_of_my_rope.png (364KB, 560x504px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_nice_end_of_my_rope.png
364KB, 560x504px
I gave up hope a long time ago, I barely even care at this point.
>>
>>376683086
It's already too late. So much time has passed that the only way it would be welcomed as anything more than a tragic cash grab would be if it managed to be the best FPS game that will ever exist.
>>
>new half life finally releases
>it's a prequel
>half life 0
>>
File: EcJ3MfG.gif (994KB, 257x194px) Image search: [Google]
EcJ3MfG.gif
994KB, 257x194px
They would need a new game engine more fantastic than the old ones to keep up with modern times, and it would have to be better than unreal 3 but with the same scope of the size of the maps. Half life 3 itself would have to incorporate more realistic weapon organizations and definently an aim down the barrel/attachments to make it more real world.

tf3 and a new counterstrike would need to be created on the engine, and we could then realistically relive the experience of the source engine from 10 years ago.

Valve does not necessarily have to do anything different, or too radical. Its just that the scope of the engine itself and graphical implementations as well as content might be too much for the average system now days.

You know im right, and i dont even want to sound edgy or controversial about it.
>>
>>376685938
it would have to be fighting aleins in a zen like world or something and honestly, zen was everyone's least liekd chapter of the 1st game
>>
>>376685756
>cherry picking a screenshot of MW2 and desaturating and adding brown filter to try to prove point
eggs dee
also
>boss battles
>it's fun to shoot the same enemy with 1000 bullets until it dies
>>
If they had just released HL2 Episode 3 and not left the series on a cliffhanger, I wouldn't even mind HL3 never happening.
>>
I would love to see HL3, but I do feel bad for Valve in regards to it.

I mean even now you have people who shit on HL2, say it was overhyped and "dont understand" why it gets such high praise. These are little faggots who grew up on Halo or some shit, I dont know. Its pretty easy to see the quality in the game and that it stands out from other games.

Why release a game to people who
1. shit on the last one, the core gameplay of which would probably be continued
2. have pretty much acknowledged on their own that the game could never live up to their own expectations
>>
>>376683086
>would it be the highest grossing video game of all time?

why would it be? only a few vocal faggots want the sequel. It won't touch shit like Minecraft and Sims, it won't even sell more than whatever FIFA is released that year. I would bet it wouldn't break 4 million the first year unless it's a requirement for the next CS or L4D3 comes with it
>>
People seem to forget that Half-life 3 already mostly exists and has for a long time. That's what Half-life 2: Episode 1 and Half-life 2: Episode 2 are. Valve wanted the sequel to be episodic and continue off HL2, not be a separate numbered title.

It's Episode 3 that we're waiting on, and episode 1 and 2 weren't that great anyway.
>>
>>376686956
People think Episode 3 has turned into a full fledged Half-Life 3 despite Valve never really announcing that.
>>
>>376683437
Yeah, Valve didn't promise us Episode 3 at all. Retard.
>>
>>376683570
HL2 didn't relase 13 years ago dummy.
>Checks the relase date
What de fugg ;_;
>>
>>376683086
No
-poor brand recognizability
-too much time passed since last entry
-nether hl1 or hl2 are anywhere near the top 50 best selling games
-its very unlikely valve could produce an outstanding game, most old leads left valve

But mostly, who the fuck cares about Half Life. Kids who were 15 when hl2 came out are now almost 30. Its not Mario that has a place in popular culture and has yearly spin offs, the series was dead for so long it would take years of marketing to bring it back into spotlight.
>>
>>376687310
>promise a game =/= promising the best game ever created
You shitter.
>>
>>376683086
probably bomb
>>
>>376686956
Episodes 1 and 2 are just that, a continuation of HL2
That's entirely different from a sequel
And the reason people started memeing about HL3 is that Valve tried the episodic shit and then scrapped it because it wasn't working out, nobody just thought they'd throw the franchise in the trash altogether
>>
File: 15414_front.jpg (73KB, 640x908px) Image search: [Google]
15414_front.jpg
73KB, 640x908px
>>376686404
>I mean even now you have people who shit on HL2, say it was overhyped and "dont understand" why it gets such high praise. These are little faggots who grew up on Halo or some shit, I dont know. Its pretty easy to see the quality in the game and that it stands out from other games.
Most of the people who shit on HL2 are shooter veterans who played superior alternatives. Pic related.
>>
>>376685816
I did he says CoD is better and rants about Barney giving Gorden the crowbar for literally 5 minutes and then I stopped watching
>>
File: Cat_Faggot.jpg (59KB, 706x706px) Image search: [Google]
Cat_Faggot.jpg
59KB, 706x706px
What was the deal about the cat in the teleporter?
>>
>>376688523
I'm not one of them, having beaten Painkiller multiple times. I enjoyed both of those games, each of them had something different to offer.
>>
File: 1491546320369.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491546320369.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
>>376683086
Just imagine

They release "The Black Box"
>Left 4 Dead 3
>Half Life 3
>Team Fortress 3

All at the same time, thats why its taking so long but its a shame this will never happen since TF2 is a cash cow even when its dying
>>
File: 1425243363142.jpg (31KB, 500x566px) Image search: [Google]
1425243363142.jpg
31KB, 500x566px
>>376688935
>>
>>376683342
Ew, no. I'd rather never see HL3 than see it be tainted by the open world meme.
>>
They abandoned HL because they realized they could make tons of money from cosmetic items in online games.
>>
>>376688738
Uh... what cat?
>>
>>376689001
Hola, reddit.
>>
>>376689225
Or when they realized they could just live off the massive amounts of dosh from sheeple "buying" software from their store, which they get a 30% cut from.
>>
>>376687310
Yes they did, newfag
>>
File: 43543523.jpg (27KB, 292x396px) Image search: [Google]
43543523.jpg
27KB, 292x396px
>>376689001
the cvck isnt wrong, I just wish we could get something from Valve you know

Not dotashit but something from their original line, not for nostalgia but because I know Valve can make a fucking great game when nobody else can and not portal either

Day of Defeat 2 would be cool, it would blow this stupid fucking cod shit out of the water for sure
>>
>>376683086
Fuck Valve.

Turned their backs on their originals fans to peddle microtransaction bullshit to ASSFAGGOTS fans and take 30% out of every other company's titles.

They're going ot try to monetize mods again, wait and see.
>>
>>376689482
>Day of Defeat 2
Hope you like $300 weapon skins and matchmaking only
>>
Probably not cause as people have said it's just been too long and it's not like it was even that big of an IP when it was current and I'd wager it was known more for the modding scene than the single player anyway

but still I would have liked to have seen at least one more game out of it or at least an episode 3. I always had a good time playing them and the story/world kept me interested enough continue on.

Not to mention after you were done you could go back and listen to developer commentary which I liked a lot.
>>
>>376683415
Nigga I was 6 when I beat half life 1

What kind of beta male are you?
>>
>>376689885
Lot of us were forced to install Steam just to play Half-Life 2 on release, back when the application/service was complete and utter shit.

Now Valve couldn't give less a shit about the people that were originally with them from the start.
>>
>>376690007
God, Valve was such a mistake. We should have never trusted them.
>>
People are perfectly content buying their annual Call of Duty, Fifa, Assassins Creed or whatever AAA garbage studios shit out now its not wonder why Valve doesnt give a shit about video games anymore.
>>
>>376689350
This was literally, and may still in fact be, a 4chan banner.

Fuck off.
>>
Absolutely not. Not even if it was released back in 2010 or something when it made sense. People forgot Half life, people have moved on. It's been over a DECADE since the last glimpse into that universe, and it's over. Valve will never return to making an actual, high quality single player experience.

Thanks casuals.
>>
>>376690007
man i was forced to play cs competitive, since valve slapped on stem in one version
think it was before hl2 came out
>>
>>376686404

>I mean even now you have people who shit on HL2, say it was overhyped and "dont understand" why it gets such high praise. These are little faggots who grew up on Halo or some shit, I dont know.

The two people I see praising Half-life 2 as the best game ever made, are Valve fans and console players who bought The Orange Box after a gaming magazine told them they're required to have HL2 as a top 3 favorite game if they're to be considered a "true gamer."

Half-life 1 was a pretty good game. Half-life 2 was mostly interesting as a tech demo and had good voice acting quality, but it wasn't that fun.
>>
>>376687310
Yes they did
>>
>>376683086
Depends on how many microtransactions there would be.
>>
>>376683156
I have no expectations for Half Life 3.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.