[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are trophies or achievements relevant for modern gaming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: 6947036067_f109babd44_b.jpg (88KB, 681x399px) Image search: [Google]
6947036067_f109babd44_b.jpg
88KB, 681x399px
Are trophies or achievements relevant for modern gaming?
>>
>>376682920
I feel like they were more of a last gen thing.
>>
>>376682920
Not in the way they're implemented.
>>
They give me an extra incentive to play games multiple times. Trophies are underrated.
>>
>>376683059
What about, you know, the game being good?
>>
>>376683117
>extra
>>
No they are for instant gratification retards.
>>
>>376683117
not the same guy but i only go for trophies of games i actually like enough to do so, right now i'm trying to get everything in Darksiders, might do the same with the second game.
>>
>>376683505
Sounds like video games in general.
>>
File: 1494367044822.jpg (17KB, 457x396px) Image search: [Google]
1494367044822.jpg
17KB, 457x396px
Its silly I know but. I feel like these exterior trophies and cheevos add replayability to games where tricky cheevs arent to be earned and rewarded.
Want that platinum trophy? Then beat the game without dying on the hardest difficulty!

Its just a reason to have fun playing the game more really. Its like collectathon fun
>>
>>376683059
>Trophies for starting the game
>Trophies for grinding ages for items or kill quota
>Trophies for staying idle
>Incentives to play multiple times
Stop lying, you can play a good game as many times as you want without these self-gratification chore shit
>>
I think they push me to experience the whole game. FFXIII wouldn't have been as enjoyable without them.
>>
>>376683816
>Trophies for grinding ages for items or kill quota
>Trophies for staying idle
Only shit games have those. I don't play shit games.
>>
>>376683871
>FFXIII wouldn't have been as enjoyable without them
But it's not
>>
File: 92-095.png (989B, 480x446px) Image search: [Google]
92-095.png
989B, 480x446px
>Old game gives you a completely worthless reward for doing optional shit.
>This is okay.
>Modern game gives you a completely worthless trophy for doing optional shit.
>This is not okay.
>>
No but they are one of the reasons cheat codes are gone now
>>
>>376683995
>old game gave you extra content for doing optional shit
>modern game gives you worthless currency for your e-penis and then charges money for the extra content
Yeah totally the same you retard
>>
File: 1489966721135.jpg (54KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1489966721135.jpg
54KB, 1024x576px
>>376683948
I had fun.
>>
File: dsadsadasdsasaddasdas.jpg (17KB, 920x174px) Image search: [Google]
dsadsadasdsasaddasdas.jpg
17KB, 920x174px
I have mixed feelings. Sometimes I enjoy it, other times I ask myself why the fuck am I doing this.
>>
it really depends.
If you just receive them for automatic shit like beating a mandatory boss, then it's worthless
If you have to complete something like a chore then it's worthless

There are still times where I appreciate them, like in Bloodborne where you get the names of the endings from the trophy, or if they are integrated with the game where they have actual rewards behind them instead of just a prompt
>>
i like the ones where it feels the dev is challenging you
>>
>>376684210
Same here. The best thing they did was allow you to disable trophy notifications. Although with games I love I usually want to get all the trophies. But honestly as a general concept they're just an inferior version of ingame unlocks.
>>
They encourage repeatability, so yes.
Anyone that has all the achievements for a game most likely has played through it several times on various difficulties and accomplished various challenges and therefore has a generally objective viewpoint on the game.
>>
>>376683660
I'm ppretty sure I got all of the original Darksiders achievements back on 360, except the one for riding the horse a shit ton.
You literally never have to ride anywhere near as much as needed for the achievement.
>>
I don't see how they detriment a game like people love to claim. No game actively goes out of it's way to make a trophy, then put something in the game deliberately to unlock that trophy. Shit like "kill x monsters" which are obvious grind trophies, are signs that the requirement to include trophies got to them and they had no idea what to do. They're certainly not detrimental, but I often don't go out of my way to get trophies or platinums or cheevos or whatever.

Last one I got was titanfall 2.
>>
>>376682920
I used to care a little about trophies, but now that you can't organize your trophy list on PS4, and it's hard to find anything, I rarely look at them.
Never cared about steam or xbox achievements.
I think I just really liked the PS3s layout and trophies were a part of that.
>>
i've got one game that i'll never be able to 100% because of server closure

i wish i wasn't mentally ill because it really bothers me
>>
Aren't devs forced to put them into console games nowadays?
>>
>>376684623
Trophies for mandatory stuff are a good way for devs to see how much of a game people play before they quit
>>
>>376682920
I consider them to be the new highscore. Like some are saying, extra insensitive to keep playing.
>>
>>376684198
Was it just for the trophies?
>>
>>376682920
Theres no reason for them to not be there. Developers use them as check points, to see where most players play up to, down to the decimal (although it must be pretty fucking sad feeling when you see that only 15% of buyers finished your game). They are little side challenges to go for if you like the game and want more of it, they might encourage playing or exploring a different way

Theres literally nothing wrong with them

Achievements > trophies > shit > steam achievements
>>
>>376687952
I'll admit, it is amusing to see how many people own certain games and haven't even got past the tutorial
>>
>>376691684
>pc gaming
>>
>>376684210
Stupid rat. Push the button to get your food!
>>
>>376682920
They're a nice little bonus thing & are relevant I feel, I wish Nintendo had them.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.