[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /v/'s opinion on crafting in games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: XVExtz94kJpyFkwosxqXz4.jpg (444KB, 1260x645px) Image search: [Google]
XVExtz94kJpyFkwosxqXz4.jpg
444KB, 1260x645px
What is /v/'s opinion on crafting in games?
>>
>>376681404
Personally its a waste of time, I prefer buying items
>>
Only good when the parts are located in well thought out locations and not random drops.

Or if it forces build specialization because there are finite, non farmable, materials.
>>
I hate it

>Use 5 pieces of scrap metal and 10 tuna cans to give your rusty weapon a different cosmetic skin and 2 plus damage
>Mechanically, it still behaves the same and only makes the numbers go higher!

The worst part is the inventory management of a bunch of useless shit.
>>
>>376681404
>finding unique parts that can be combined into a specific thing
Fine
>farming for miscellaneous materials to craft something useful
Can be annoying
>>
Can be good, often isn't. Good example: Factorio. That game is literally nothing but crafting. Bad example: Fallout 4.
>>
It's fucking garbage unless it tells you what you can make as soon as you get the material.

If you gather a bunch of stuff and the only thing it makes is something you don't even want it feels like shit, and if you find a recipe that uses materials you've been skipping because you thought they were useless it also feels like shit.

I thought I would hate gathering and cooking in BotW, but it turned out to be alright since I knew what to skip going out of my way for.
>>
Absolutely have to nail quality over quantity for crafting to be any good. Shit needs to have actual value.
>>
>>376681404
Don't care either way. It's nice for an FPS so that I can keep using the guns I like, but that's not really an option with Prey because I don't have enough guns to choose from and will end up using the guns I don't like anyway.
>>
>>376682595
>Prey
>FPS
Hello, IGN.
>>
In Prey it's tedious as fuck
>have to fill your inventory up with junk
>find something cool but now you have to drop some of the junk to make room for it
>have to slog all the way back to a recycler to get rid of the junk
>then have to go all the way back to a fabricator to make something from that recycled junk
Would have been much better if you could just recycle from your inventory
>>
>>376681404
hate it unless it's integral to the game like teleglitch for example and even then it's not tedious
>>
>>376681404
as long as it's just an alternative option to just buying items, it's fine
>>
In games where it's obviously slapped on ie f4 and prey I fucking hate it. Otherwise it's a mechanic with great potential.
>>
>>376681404

I really enjoyed ATiTD
>>
>>376681404
Prey did a decent job, but I felt OP very early, once you get a few key recipes you are unstoppable. I still got spooked even though I knew I was unkillable. Most of the time theres a recycler close to a fab.
Fallout 4 was terrible. Fans and duck tape to build a fucking generator.
Last of us probably did it the worst.
>>
>>376686086
>Last of us probably did it the worst.

Wrong. Crafting in the game was great. Fuck outta here.
>>
>>376681404
It sucks. Just let me find the item. I don't want to find 10 horse assholes to make the item, I just want the item.
>>
Few games do it right. Old wow crafting was pretty good for an healthy economy and actual prestige to items. Games like ff14 did it wrong. Fantasy life crafting had potential but they didnt go deep enough. FF9 crafting was good (simple but fun)
>>
>>376686546
>ff14 did it wrong
im actually planning on getting into FF14 sometime soon, so, how did it do crafting wrong? Is it that its just no rewarding, or what?
>>
>>376681404
Tedious outside of unique items. Less tedious with infinite inventory space.
>>
>>376687756
So you know how most games make crafting a skill that improves with use?

FFXIV makes crafting a class. And there are tons of them. Instead of skill points you get EXP for crafting. It's a grind from day one.
>>
Depends on the drop rate and if craftable stuff is good/game is built around it. There is nothing I hate more that having to go through a 5 second animation to collect mineral/animal hide to upgrade 1 stat on a weapon/armor. Another issue is if the game has limited inventory/weight system or shit menu/crafting UI.
>>
File: 1444158949166.jpg (63KB, 896x617px) Image search: [Google]
1444158949166.jpg
63KB, 896x617px
I like making things in games and either using them for my benefit or selling them for an income. Singleplayer games will sometimes have some difficulty though adjusting crafting to neither be gamebreaking or a korean tier grind.
>>
>>376685163
>what are recycler grenades
>>
>>376681404
As long as it is not about crafting multiple specific weapons and armor pieces.
Material's lost to the void for temporary improvement that will more than likely be ditched when you find something better off some dead guy mins later.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.