[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its HDR the next big thing of Gaming? Has anybody experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: dolbyvisionces2015-1l.jpg (121KB, 1200x532px) Image search: [Google]
dolbyvisionces2015-1l.jpg
121KB, 1200x532px
Its HDR the next big thing of Gaming?

Has anybody experience real HDR gamign content?
>>
Oh boy another worthless kyke meme to steal your money
>>
If HDR isn't a meme then why can I see a difference on my non-HDR monitor?

Checkmate atheists.
>>
That looks worse. What's the appeal?
>>
>>376662898
You shit we cannot see how it actually looks from a shitty jpg comparison image
>>
>>376662898
i'm a rendering programmer, I'll explain why it's awesome

(in next post)
>>
dolby vision looks like it's just contrast bar cranked all the way up that's it.
>>
Is HDR just full PC-range RGB(0 - 255) under a different name?
>>
its really depende of content, Horizon looks awasome in HDR, but Uncharted 4 looks like you just fucked de contrast of your TV
>>
>>376662961
No wonder anon is still a faggot
>>
>>376663142
Its awesome because it looks fucking amazing. I don't think it belongs in TV, but it is a perfect addition to gaming.
>>
>>376663190

no, even HDR content still mastered in RGB Limited, but with 10 bits colors, thats why is called HDR10
>>
>>376662898
It's a lot more noticeable than resolutions beyond 1080p 2bh. At least for TVs.
>>
remember a couple of year ago about 10 bit anime/movies encode? well, we are getting the real 10bits content now
>>
>>376662898
>>376663142
first of all, it's a definite, 100% image quality increase in games that gamedevs have to do very little for, no question about it. but it's actually a really simple feature.

you see currently screens (pc monitors, tvs, smartphone screens) basically all only support 8 bits per color channel, which means 255 distinct shades of each red, green and blue color channel.

in practice this is much too low. you see, the brightness in typical real world scenes (for example in photographs) varies by many orders of magnitude depending on what you look at: a gray block of stone, a piece of red shiny plastic, or a direct image of the sun. simply put 24 bits in total is not NEARLY enough to express all of that information without losing a lot of detail. in practice this just means that if you look at an image through a monitor it will look way different than what you would see with your own eyes, because your eyes have a much higher 'bit depth' so to speak.
>>
>>376663791
all of this HDR hype is about increasing the amounts of bits per pixel to a higher number. there's actually a range of upgrades available here, from 10 bits per channel to whatever (I don't know how high exactly).

that doesn't sound like much of an improvement, but when you extend a number from 8 bits to 9 bits, it actually doubles the total combinations of values that number can now take. so 10 bits would be quadrupled vs 8 bits, and so forth.

overall this is simply going to allow scenes (in both movies as well as games, it's just wrong to say that this is only really good for games) to look more like real life, because what's presented to your eyes just got a little bit closer to what it would actually see if you stood there in real life.
>>
File: HDR-dolby.jpg (361KB, 1135x992px) Image search: [Google]
HDR-dolby.jpg
361KB, 1135x992px
>>376662961
Its not nearly as bad as the higher res meme. But its not getting wide support from developers anytime soon either.

the tl;dr of hardware HDR, it changes the backlight in traditional panels from a static led or tube to individually controlled brightness where its needed on the image.
>>
>>376663949
>>376663791
>>376662898
the beauty about this HDR thing is that it requires a relatively little amount of work to integrate. practically all modern rendering engines work with higher resolution image buffers internally, and scale it down to the 24 bits per pixel via a process that is called tone mapping (basically algorithms to try and preserve detail while squashing the bits together. this flat out doesn't work for a lot of stuff but it's better than doing nothing).

so supporting HDR for them is as much as detecting that it's supported, and changing the final step to go to the new HDR bit depth instead of the old 24 bit depth, which is nearly trivial in technical terms.

the same is true for movies and TV by the way. the sensors used in cameras are capable of way, way finer detail than the 24 bit you're used to. I'm not in that industry so I can't say for sure, but I'd wager to say that supporting HDR is pretty easy for them, too.
>>
>>376663949
>overall this is simply going to allow scenes (in both movies as well as games, it's just wrong to say that this is only really good for games) to look more like real life, because what's presented to your eyes just got a little bit closer to what it would actually see if you stood there in real life.
This sounds fucking awesome for games and fucking awful for movies.
>>
>>376662898
Sure. But in like 5 years at least
>>
>>376664108
>>376663949
>>376663791
>>376662898
also, there is one small technical downside, which is that bandwidth and storage requirements obviously go slightly up because the images are now larger in memory. but with modern technology this is a complete non issue unless you to really high bit depths.
>>
>>376663190
no
>>376663519
wrong
>>376663791
wrong
>>376663949
wrong
>>376664108
wrong
>>376664091
right.

It has nothing to do with color bits, just brightness measured in nits. Higher dynamic range is literally the range of brightness between light and dark areas, thats it.
>>
>>376664112
actually this is fucking awesome for movies. it completely gets rid of color banding and related artifacts.

whether or not a higher level of detail will negatively impact how a scene (subjectively) looks is something the artists can control 100%, too.
>>
>>376664361
then answer this question for me, smart guy: what needs to change that you can store a higher range of brightness from light to dark areas in pixels in memory?

seriously you can be happy that this is an anonymous board, because coming here and calling an expert in an area wrong (me, I implemented HDR for the ps4 port of our game recently) and then spouting a bullshit one liner is super cringeworthy.
>>
>>376664381
That's nice, I just don't want movies to look like documentaries or soap operas like the 48fps fad wanted them to look.
Even Peter Jackson who used to be a gread technician fucked it up.
>>
>>376664381
It looks like garbage in natural scenes. It honestly looks like someone ran a shot of nature through an instagram filter. It would be cool for animated movies or movies with heavy cgi, but you cannot tell me that watching something by Attenborough with HDR makes it look more close to what our eyes would see.
>>
4k 144hz ulmb hdr 10bit ips displays fucking when?
>>
>>376664634
I don't care how its implemented, but color information in RGB is not increasing, these are the only rods we have in our fucking eyes in the first place.
But the backlight in all consumer panels is locked at between 200 and 400 nits with no variation. However the new information is transferred to the panels I don't really give a shit
>>
my monitor has that thing
turned it off, it looks like a shitty ENB preset
>>
>>376664634
So an HDR monitor outputs like this?
>255, 255, 255, 255
>RGBLight
>>
there's a definite noticeable difference. Games like infamous second son definitely look significantly better with HDR enabled. the key is, people just don't have HDR monitors, and it's such a young technology that the market is going to favor 4k over hdr, and it's going to kill the market for HDR because it's foreverially going to be tied to 4K and up.
>>
>>376664361
This.

/thread
>>
>>376664634
>I implemented HDR for the ps4 port of our game recently

Okay so you're a shill trying to sell the HDR meme, thanks.
>>
>>376663190
Everybody knows there is a difference between limited 16-235 and 0-255. Everybody knows OLED isn't just marketing (minus drawbacks like burn in). Even autistic weeaboos know 10bit anime has actual advantages. People who aren't retarded know about gamut ranges. But I never understood why /v/ is so fucking retarded with HDR.
>tee hee isn't that the light bloom thing in Source I'm a fucking retard
>>
>>376665026

no consumer monitors have HDR right now.
>>
im watching Daredevil in Dolby Vision HDR and its looks fucking awasome in some scenes, them others scenes look like fucking shit.
>>
>>376666320
So your answer is yes?
>>
>>376666320
Its not a panel seller buzzword as easy as 4k is to digest. Normals see higher number, they buy higher number.
>>
>>376664652
Avatar 2 is going to be in 60fps and will make 60fps an industry and theatre standard worldwide like it did with 3D
>>
>>376666320

16-235 and 0-255 should be identicat in whatever content, most movies are mastered in 16-235 and most games look better in that range too.

devs are lazy and when they port games to PC they, in most cases, don't change post processing tweaked for limited range to full, so in result colors that supposed to be black and white are both shades of grey in most of pc games, they looked washed out and dimmed, like you have a fat layer of dust on display.

thats when SweetFX come to play
>>
>>376666320
>But I never understood why /v/ is so fucking retarded with HDR.
Multiple reasons.

1. They chose a fucking retarded name.
2. u can't see it in screenshots!!!!!!
3. It's irrelevant.
4. It's expensive.

>>376666826
Not him but no. It's just a basically arbitrary standard of televisions. It's more than just the color range, there's some set contrast level in there too.

But yeah, basically.

>>376667097
it's amazing to me that TO THIS DAY the only game that I truly don't believe needs color tweaking via PS/sweetfx/etc, is of course Crysis.

Most games are so washed out it disgusts me. It takes me 5 seconds to enable levels and some color shader and basically any game looks twice as good.
>>
>>376662898

Probably. Couldn't tell you though since I don't own an HDR television or monitor.

We can discuss this come the holiday season when the fucking prices come down. They hype this shit and expect people to care with no anecdotal evidence. I don't know a single person with an HDR tv.
>>
>>376666826
0-255 full range was a thing since Xbox 360 and PS3.
>>
It's a bigger jump than from 1080p to 4K.

I have like 5 games that support it on my PS4 Pro and they look amazing.
>>
File: 3602.jpg (463KB, 2321x1547px) Image search: [Google]
3602.jpg
463KB, 2321x1547px
I have a HDR TV.
There's a few HDR games out there for Xbox One and PS4 right now, although I only own a PS4. The Last Guardian and Horizon: Zero Dawn are the only HDR games I have right now, and both look undoubtedly great. It's not "the next big thing" as much as it'll simply be a step forward from BT.709 which we've been stuck with since the beginning of time now. All digital image content is going to be in BT.2020 at some point eventually, and we'll all benefit from it. Nothing to lose, only a step forward in image quality, just like displays with resolutions above 1080p.
>>
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/139947-what-is-dolby-vision-dolby-s-very-own-hdr-tv-tech-explained
Read and watch it (calibrated) in person before you post. 4K and HDR aren't a "meme". Just like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, it's expensive so people want to claim it's not good so they can feel better about the things they can't have.
>>
>>376667603
Get infamous second son, it goes on sale for like $5 pretty often. absolutely worth it just to see how great it looks. It's a solid 6 hour game, too.
>>
HDR is the worst photography meme of the century
>>
>>376664652
You're so fucking stupid. It's amazing that people like you eat up corporate nonsense to this extent.

>ITS NEW SO I HATE IT BECAUSE I WAS MEMED INTO THE OPINION
>>
>>376667691
For $5? Nice, didn't know it dropped that low yet. I got First Light during the monthly PS+ and thought it was pretty fun.
>>
when playing games on PC, specially console ports, try to change the RGB level to match de cinema standart of Limited (16-235) also called the "Nomral level" not fll.

you will see a much brigther picture, more correct gama y more push on colours.
>>
>>376667886
Yeah, $10 if not $5, I think I paid $7.50 in one of the sales last year. Totally worth that though. It's incredibly short to platinum, if that's your thing, and the main story is pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>376663791
>hand rubbing intensifies
>>
>>376662898

HDR is the exact same thing except BLACKED
>>
File: 1555378428489.png (59KB, 197x439px) Image search: [Google]
1555378428489.png
59KB, 197x439px
>>376667937
Thanks for the tip, I'll probably get it in the next sale.
By the way, if you have a HDR TV, I wanna say that Horizon has the best implementation of HDR that I've seen in any game so far. That game is real eye candy.
>>
>>376667083
>But I never understood why /v/ is so fucking retarded with HDR.
They should have just called it "more colors desu".

It's nothing even worth talking about, it's just natural progression and irrelevant for games.

>>376667519
>It's a bigger jump than from 1080p to 4K.
No it fucking isn't.

Oh but wait you're a consolefag, you haven't even seen a maxed out game in proper 4k.
>>
>>376668356
Yeah I rented HZD earlier this year without even thinking about it, and only noticed right as I was finishing up that there was an HDR option. Turned it on and it was like a totally different game. It's interesting to see this stuff.
>>
>>376662898
OH WOW IT OVERSATURATES COLORS

Also you're a faggot OP, HDR has been around since Oblivion.
>>
File: 1392950595927.jpg (118KB, 919x615px) Image search: [Google]
1392950595927.jpg
118KB, 919x615px
>>376662898
>next
>>
>>376662898
Only difference I can see is left has some darker details. Which I'm pretty certain I can get on my monitor.
>>
>>376668803
>Left
Mean to say right has some darker details. Such as that left side of the bridge, the cliff has more pronounced dark colors. Doesn't seem like it's worth the money.
>>
>>376668518
Oh you're a PC.uck, no wonder you're still waiting for those overpriced monitors to go down in price, them neetbucks aren't enough huh?
>>
File: hdrcomp.png (1MB, 1281x719px) Image search: [Google]
hdrcomp.png
1MB, 1281x719px
tfw dynamic range of phone camera is too small to capture hdr image
>>
File: hdr_vs_sdr_banding_tlg.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hdr_vs_sdr_banding_tlg.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>376669374
A more visible comparison shot in The Last Guardian, of a butterfly in the dark.
>>
File: HDR.jpg (727KB, 1510x2288px) Image search: [Google]
HDR.jpg
727KB, 1510x2288px
>>376662961
>>
>>376669004
What?
>>
>>376664786
Probably a decade for when each become standard even then I reckon 144hz will always be a niche choice even 60hz isn't standard yet lmao
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.