[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dreamfall thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 18

What went wrong?
>>
>>376636593
It´s mediocre
>>
File: 1391912136089.gif (799KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
1391912136089.gif
799KB, 200x189px
SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR DEVELOPERS
>>
Literally and unironically SJWs.
>>
I dunno, I was enjoying it until I had to walk for an eternity back and forth through a city, getting lost and checking maps instead of having an inventory map like every other game ever.
>>
>>376636593
are you forced to play with the black boy?
>>
>>376636974
>>376637149
TLJ was always a bit liberal oriented, but yes I agree, they went full retard mode in this one.
>>
>>376638920
what happened?
>>
I didn't even like dreamfall much, but the original is stunning even today.

What exactly makes this so bad? Everyone just seems to agree with the fact that it's SJWs but beyond there being a lot of gay characters or something, I don't remember the specifics.
>>
>>376639084
Bashed right wing politics
>>
>>376639084
I seem to remember some blatant and hamfisted political messages in the game. Not implemented in a way that would make sense from the perspective of the characters, but obviously as positions supported by the devs instead.

There was some ethno-nationalist group in the game world, and the character monologue described it as "a delusional fantasy that only exists in the daydreams of skinheads" -paraphrasing. That doesn't sound like an opinion that a character holds in a story, but one that the developers are conveying through the character in a really contrived way that doesn't fit.
>>
>>376639405
>>376639084
The line was that "they want to turn Europe into a white homeland that only ever existed in their xenophobic wet dreams".

When someone pointed out to the devs that Europe was literally a white homeland for thousands of years they were blocked on twitter. Someone will post the screencap
>>
>>376639405
>That doesn't sound like an opinion that a character holds in a story
Why not?
>>
>>376639803
see this >>376639625

I can understand having an opinion, but for some reason its expression the game's monologue doesn't sound like something someone would say in the context of living in the world where it's happening. I can't really explain it. It just sounds more like an agenda being pushed than a line spoken by a character who's supposed to be a relatable individual with nuanced positions. It's so in your face.
>>
File: 1429828871257.webm (1MB, 450x472px) Image search: [Google]
1429828871257.webm
1MB, 450x472px
>>376636974
>>376637149
>>376638920

The SJW shit was anoying, but the game would still be shit even if it didn't have that.
It was basically just a gigantic cinematic, puzzles you could find here and there were more annoying than clever.
April's character was terribly wasted.
And I'm probably the least nostalgic guy here, because I played the Longest Journey for the first time only a couple years ago, shit I played it on windows 8.1.
>>
>>376636593
I di not know anything about this game but the giant red flag for me already is the giant red tumblr nose
>>
So glad this game flopped.

The Longest Journey wasn't this bad right?

The first one had some liberal stuff in it, but it wasn't hamfisted and didn't bug me from the early hours I played of the game.
>>
File: Triggerd.jpg (400KB, 1632x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Triggerd.jpg
400KB, 1632x1032px
>>376639625
>>376640073
But Europe has never been a fairyland, so she isn't wrong.

But how is the game itself? Does it or does it not continue the story from the previous game?
>>
File: Hanged Road.jpg (482KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Hanged Road.jpg
482KB, 2048x1152px
>>376640714
>But Europe has never been a fairyland, so she isn't wrong.
It was white.
>>
>>376640793
But not a fairyland, a part which that tweet decided to ignore. Probably because he got triggered
>>
>>376640546
The only liberal thing I recall about longest journey was the lesbian character you talk to in the very first part of the game, and to be honest I think you could even miss it entirely if you didn't press all her dialogues. This new one is just completely "HURR WHITE PEEPOL BAD"
>>
The guy wasn't with Funcom anymore and he probably didn't have anyone to tell him to reign it in when he began thrusting his political views in using the game as a soapbox.

Plus you can see complaints without even touching on any of the political intrusion aspect, pointing out they weren't entertained because it became a slowly walking simulator lacking in player interactivity.
>>
File: 1362152489-9.jpg (2MB, 3000x1498px) Image search: [Google]
1362152489-9.jpg
2MB, 3000x1498px
>>376640887
Not all fairytales are sugary and sweet. The classic European fairytales were rather... Grimm.
>>
>>376641103
I know, but that's not what people think off when they hear fairyland.

But if this fictional party now wants to return Europe to being a grim place then there are better way to do so then being right wingers, anarchy is the way to go.
>>
File: tmp_19198-xPqvfA1734405043.jpg (22KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19198-xPqvfA1734405043.jpg
22KB, 640x352px
>>376638920
Liberal does not equal SJW.

Unless you go for the American definition (there are no liberals in the US sadly).
>>
>>376640887
Stop being retarded. The 'fairyland' description is obviously trying to portray the 'white homeland' thing as make believe.
Also
>xenophobic wet dreams
Also
>term fairies
>originating in Europe
>MFW even if you take a word out of the ham fisted dialogue and apply it literally to try and save it's credibility you are still wrong
>>
>>376641669
That's exactly why I said liberal and not sjw
>>
>>376641304
>nah fuck ethnonationalism we need anarchy
haha wow you're seriously stupid
>>
>>376641773
>The 'fairyland' description is obviously trying to portray the 'white homeland' thing as make believe.
Does it? Does it really? Because that's certainly not what the right wingers says in Europe
>>
>>376641849
ethnonationalism doesn't make things grim now does it?
>>
File: tmp_19198-009(2)1885654321.jpg (125KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19198-009(2)1885654321.jpg
125KB, 700x394px
>>376640793
Yeah Europe was white. Not really relevant now though, like it or not half of the people are now MIXED and that's not gonna change.
>>
>>376641989
oh you're still doing that thing where you take fairyland out of context never mind
>>
>>376642142
>like it or not half of the people are now MIXED
You seems to be confusing Europe with America

Please don't
>>
>>376641894
>right wingers in europe describe a white homeland as a fairyland
pls go be retarded somewhere else
>>
>>376642172
Taking it with the right wingers who says everything will be fine and daddy once the immigrants are kicked out not me
>>
>>376636593

So what was her deal, except being a literally deus ex machina, was she the reincarnation of April?
>>
>>376642142
>half
in your wet dreams kike
>>
>>376642307
that's just the strawman you decided to use sweety
nobody thinks shitskin rapists are the entirety of the worlds problems :^)
>>
>>376636593
Funcom went from tolerably retard to full retard.
>>
>>376641894
>right wingers
Jesus dude. Being left wing is STILL politically correct. And ALL they do is blame anyone not with them. There is no way in hell you are going to blame something being too liberal by playing the victim. Too many folks doing that nowadays while blaming the right for anyone to take that shit seriously.

Wait for the the political pendulum to swing back before you start that shit.

This game was OBVIOUSLY trying to take advantage of the liberal sjw political landscape to make some easy money.

The only reason you're blaming the 'right' for this is because the game failed.
>>
>>376642430
But it's true darling
>>376642526
>The only reason you're blaming the 'right' for this is because the game failed.
What, no. I'm saying that the right wing politics that the protagonists talks about is in line with the right wing politics of Europe
>>
>>376642671
whoa anon you're really beating that strawman into the ground
>>
File: Screenshot (14).png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (14).png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>376636593

SJW shit aside, post YFW this happened.
>>
>>376642339
>>376642202

Oh yeah I was talking about the Western part of Europe obviously nobody cares about the rest. Even Africans aren't stupid enough to live in Poland. Should have made that clear.
>>
>>376643161
>western europe
>half mixed
wrong again kike
>>
>>376642671
And I'm saying those right wing politics in the game are complete and utter biased bullshit.
I'm saying a liberal complaining that something is just 'bad' because it's not liberal enough is the only fucking thing allowed to be spoken about outloud nowadays.

You are doing nothing but the same shit to defend a tiny portion of this game. I'm german you fucking moron. Us adults are too scared to lose what little we have, to speak out against the government. It's just 'wrong'.

But here. Here on 4chan I can call that bullshit out. I mean seriously. The game describes the right as a large(but ultimately minority) group that is just 'bad'. And that this group is against everything that the EU is pushing across europe. And you come on 4chan and state that that is at least right?

Go fuck yourself you poor excuse for a human being. I wouldn't dare voice this shit out loud. But here I can. Here I actually want you to lie about my home so that I can make you look like an idiot in front of every anon I can.
>>
File: tumblr_nysmcdpIPR1s3q1qho3_1280.jpg (102KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nysmcdpIPR1s3q1qho3_1280.jpg
102KB, 1280x800px
>>376638598
Yes, you have to play as him. He's not black though.

Kian is one of my favourite video game characters ever.

He has Persian/ Arabic features and he's a religious zealot military gay guy who is also a racist and almost literal nazi. I like his evolution (though it was very rushed in The longest Journey).

Still pissed I couldn't get the BBC though. I mean, you make Kian gay and even Likho full gay (why couldn't he just be bi since it was stated that he and April had a romantic relationship?)

Anyway, is the game worth it?

PROS:
- you get closure
- choices do matter somewhat (ex. a character lives or dies based on your decisions but even if he lives, he's written out of the story completely)
- story and characters are interesting sometimes
- Crow

CONS:
- high system requirements
- puzzles are kind of boring
- a lot of backtracking
- small budget is evident in some places
- story's ending seemed a bit underwhelming
- tumblr lesbians who fight off / evade a bunch of soldiers off-screen through ambiguous, untold methods if you're pissed by that sort of thing (I personally didn't mind them that much; they could have been a lot more cringy)
- some mild SJW stuff, but not that prominent

Can someone explain why you guys are so pissed off about the monologue regarding the white nationalist party (putting aside what the dev said on twitter)? I mean, is it really that unthinkable that there will be a white nationalist party in the far future that might garner some support? And even if Zoe didn't really make any political statements in The Longest Journey it doesn't feel out of character of her to dislike a party like that.

Are there any other SJW stuff that people didn't like?
>>
File: Yamerooooo.jpg (21KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
Yamerooooo.jpg
21KB, 412x430px
>>376643135
Pic related.
>>
>promise a full length classic adventure game but deliver an episodic interactive story
>horrible optimalization issues
>more SJW than all Bioware games combined
>>
>>376643685

I went with Enu instead of Likho, so I didn't experience the Likho story, but is he full gay? on the wiki it says he's bi, and also as you said he implied he banged April.

Also am I the only one who's feeling Kian's sexuality was shoehorned, I mean yes he didn't show any interest in women, but I assumed he was just a regular asexual soldier guy, not gay.
>>
>>376638920
There's a marked difference in how it's handled in TLJ and in Dreamfall Chapters.
TLJ has lots of stereotypical left-leaning characters, all with their own little beliefs and motivations.
In Chapters, every 'good' character spews the exact same shit at you and they won't stop talking about it.

Like, three minutes into psychotherapy and cheating on your bf and your therapist goes completely off topic for no reason and says something like
>hahaha my grumpy ol grampa still believes in nation states now ain't that just embarassing hahaha
>>
>>376636593
series started out great but just went downhill
the longest journey > dreamfall: the longest journey > dreamfall chapters
>>
>>376639405
>Not implemented in a way that would make sense from the perspective of the characters, but obviously as positions supported by the devs instead.
This this this.
It was so painfully obvious that the characters are just Ragnar's sock puppets. Fuck that guy, seriously.
>>
So what happens to April?
That's all I really want to know.
>>
>>376646829
She becomes lady alvane or some shit like it was foreshadowed. They weren't even pretending for it to be any surprise to the player at that point. They just flat out said >that's how it happened because the writers wanted it to happen that way
lazy bullshit kind of way

You literally discern the SJW smugness from that fucking writing, that's how abysmal it was.
>>
>>376645487
He says something like. "Oh yeah, I loved April, but not like that, I could never have shared my life with her."

It kind of pissed me off. Like, were you just using her as a cover? That's really scummy.

It would have been so much simple to have him say clearly that he's bi and that he's been repressing his homo-side out of fear of persecution.

idk... maybe it was confirmed by a dev and he really is bi, as the wiki said, but it's not very evident from the actual game dialogue.

As for Kian, I was rooting for a potential romance between April and Kian in The Longest Journey. And his serious side does give off an asexual vibe.

But it didn't feel that shoehorned it (to me at least). I mean, he doesn't really show any romantic interest in anyone. And at the end he remains single (presumably). Some people are just like that (straight or gay).
>>
>>376646829
She dies, gets reincarnated as the blue haired girl who gets adopted by gay dad Kian.
>>
>>376645487
>>376647216

>Kian
>gay
Then how does April become Lady Alvane? Now I'm really confused.
And yeah, it was the SJW shit that made me drop it in the frist chapter. It was so fucking aggressive and ham-fisted that after meeting Lea Whatshername's campaign manager I immediately ragequit and uninstalled.
>>
>>376643135
t-that isn't Crow is it
>>
>>376647654
Look at the post above you.

Also that lady turns out to be just as corrupt as the white nationalist guy. Pretty realistic if you ask me.
>>
>>376647654
I mean, I could be wrong about lady alvane because the plot in that garbage ended up being so convoluted that I remember details anymore. Not sure if alvane is zoe, april or the whatever reicarnated strong emancipated womyn girl with dyed girl
>>
>>376647852
He reunites with april in the afterlife or some fucking shit, but honestly I was content with him having his neck snapped. It was perfect symbolism to what they did to TLJ
>>
what are these games even about
>>
>>376647962
Thanks, i noticed.
Nothing realistic about it btw.

>Europe is a dyptopian shithole
>devs specifically say that this is bad karma from all the racism, industrialization and colonialization white ppl did
>meanwhile places like Cape Town, Casablance and New Delhi are post-scarcity utopias
>brown migrants are still flooding into Europe and it's a big enough problem that you can win elections on anti-migrant sentiment alone
>>
>>376647216
>He says something like. "Oh yeah, I loved April, but not like that, I could never have shared my life with her."

It seems depending what you do, Likho can turn out gay or bi, because he said something totally different in my case, skip to 12:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dl027wITPw

>As for Kian, I was rooting for a potential romance between April and Kian in The Longest Journey.

Yeah that's totally what I thought would happen in chapters

>But it didn't feel that shoehorned it (to me at least). I mean, he doesn't really show any romantic interest in anyone.

That's why it's more logical for him to be asexual.. Classic story of a person who was trained to be a warrior since childhood, and never had an opportunity for romance and stuff. So his comment to Crow fells really shoehorned to me, I mean dude was certain he was gay for some reason, although as far as we know he never had romantic feeling for men or women.
>>
>>376648320
first game is a qt fantasy adventure game that makes you feel good about life and shit
second is mostly a cyberpunk conspiracy story with some qt fantasy elements retained from the first
Chapters is an unmitigated disaster
>>
File: 1464728090298.png (1MB, 2512x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1464728090298.png
1MB, 2512x1052px
>>376648446
>SJW narratives are inconsistent and self-contradictory
yes
>>
>>376648582
>That's why it's more logical for him to be asexual
There's no such thing as asexuality, only repressed sexuality.
>>
>>376648647
Oh Lord, I never connected these two.
I feel stupid now.
>>
File: containment failed.png (216KB, 1146x892px) Image search: [Google]
containment failed.png
216KB, 1146x892px
>>376648890
My work here is done.
>>
File: maxresdefault[3].jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[3].jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>376647654

This >>376647123 faggot is wrong, she simply dies and that's it.
Lady Alvane is girl Kian adopted, hence the name Alvane, it's never confirmed but there are a lot of hints she's April's reincarnation.
>>
>>376648446
I see. idk, I just interpreted that as Zoe being pretty SJW herself and sharing her views on things (biased or not).

I agree that anti-immigration / right wing ideologies or whatever were portrayed as rather simplistic and evil.

>devs specifically say that this is bad karma from all the racism, industrialization and colonialization white ppl did

This sounds stupid.
I think the dev is Sweedish? Shouldn't be that surprising I guess.
>>
>>376649125
Here's the quote from the game's Wikipedia:

>The megacity of Europolis is presented as "Europe [...] finally paying the price for hundreds of years of imperialism, reactionary politics, wasteful spending and industrialisation".

Ragnar is a flaming faggot.
>>
>>376649125
The company itself is Norwegian, but Ragnar's Swedish.
The topic came on on /pol/ once and a Norwegian anon said he's kind of famous there for running his stupid mouth on everything and shit-talking Norway's policies despite not being Norwegian himself.
>>
>>376649113
>hints she's April's reincarnation.
So basically april. Sure she died but she's been reincarnated into whatever. Status quo remains. That's basically how you desensitize the reader to any impact in your story. Because your special snowflake characters are just going to come back, right? Pathetic.
>>
>>376650010
He's your typical smug, all-knowing SJW leftist. The perfect tool to spread cultural marxist dogmas.
>>
>>376648582
The comment to Crow is 100% shoehorned in because the dev was pissed people were still debating about his sexuality after he said something in a previous chapter. So the dev wanted to plaster it on the wall that "HE"S GAY!"

I think the intention was to make him gay from the beginning (at least from the beginning of Chapters).

And even if Kian + April didn't become a thing. I also kind of appreciate it the platonic friendship between them.

I agree with this person though >>376648682

As for Likho being gay or bi, I don't think your decisions affect his sexuality, but rather what he decides to tell you.

Skip to 10:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMrW6qjQ7ms

That, or it's just bad writing.
>>
>that "puzzle" where you had to figure out how to do something illegal right in front of a cop
>>
>>376650548
>the actually difficult puzzles are a bunch of objects thrown around the house because liberal arts students are incapable of putting anything together that requires coherent thought
>>
>>376650023
It depends how you see reincarnation, I personally don't see it as character coming back, for me April died.
>>
>>376650371
>those NWN2-tier graphics in the first scene
holy shit, i remembered this game to be better looking
at least the Stark parts were pretty good looking in my memory
>>
File: cap_media-4_00_00_53_01.jpg (389KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cap_media-4_00_00_53_01.jpg
389KB, 1920x1080px
>>376651285
fugg, forgot pic
>>
>>376650961
It's also about how she died. They shat all over the character by turning her into a battle-hardened cunt that doesn't care about anything. And that's after all journal stuff you got to read in the original TLJ. It was all so unfair in retrospect. Stuff only a fucking SJW could write.
>>
File: cap_media-4_00_03_14_08.jpg (328KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cap_media-4_00_03_14_08.jpg
328KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>376651384
It was there. Remember the conversation with the woman at the very beginning? She was a lesbian and it was explained. The thing is lesbians is all they SJWs could shoehorn at the time because they weren't mainstream enough at the time. They also ripped off good movies like Brazil and classic tropes of good against evil carried their game. Basically tornquist has always been an incompetent writer and got lucky by ripping off other people's ideas, but when his cultural marxist ideology was the actual centerpiece of the game he made, his true colors truly came out.
>>
>>376648172
He once made a rape joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Puz4897t9s

They couldn't let him get away with it.
>>
>>376651376
WE
>>
>>376652185
>no tirade in her brit accent about how rape is literally worse than death
I'm surprised. So I guess it was just the incredibly awkward drawn out joke, huh. Great writing, ragnar.
>>
>>376649304
>>376650010
Haha, lol. I think he actually is gay also (the dev I mean). So...
>Ragnar is a flaming faggot.
is true.

>>376651384
I agree with you that the dev is biased in his views but
>Every white looking person is a racist/cuck and every non white looking person is a good guy.
this is just not true.

God guys that are white:
- Zoe's boyfriend (it is stated clearly that he's brainwashed)
- Zoe's dad
- The greek newspaper fat guy
- Kian's mentor (morally gray character)

Bad guys that are not white:
- abusive hacker lady (she's not actually a villain but she's a jerk)
- corrupt muslim politician lady (though we don't even meet her)
-Zoe's mom is asian

+ a lot of the villains are female
Yes, the main villain turns out to be a white man, but what you're exaggerating a little bit.

Also, Azadi were white and arabic in the previous game. I don't think any character changed their skin colour?

I mean, some people were complaining that Kian's skin tone seemed "whiter".
>>
>>376652371
Who cares about the niggers, my post was about the insulting graphics.

The background looks like an FMV cutscene circa 1997, and the characters are like the onlookers in NFSU2
>>
>>376651376
Look at the detail! They made sure the black people don't look like just black people, but specifically the somali migrants you should become extremely accustomed to seeing.
>>
>>376652643
Zoe's bf is Iranian.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.