[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ps4 or ps4 pro plz help /v/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

Is this worth picking up? I never had a PS4 before and want to buy one but i'm considering just getting a cheap used regular PS4. I only really want it for RDR2 and bloodbourne anyway.

But is the extra power worth it? will it make more games run at a better framerate? I heard bloodbourne has some massive frame drops. Iv'e also heard the original PS4 disc drives are notorious for breaking down.

Should I save up the extra money or just go the cheap route so I can get a game or two?
>>
>>376633578
New games are already releasing without Pro support. Just get the PS4 slim.

As for Bloodborne, it used to have framedrops but they were patched out. It runs fine on a standard PS4 now.
>>
>>376633834
pro support? so not all games automatically get optimized for the pro?
>>
>>376633578
I had a standard ps4 and then a Pro. If you have a 4K TV with HDR the differences are very clear, if you don't you'll only see a few titles getting slightly better performance. If you turn on boost mode you can get a handful of titles to maintain more stable framerate.
I'd honestly wouldn't recommend it if you don't have the 4KTV because most devs are lazy when supporting 1080p owners.
>>
>>376633578
Right now, no.
It MAY be worth next year or in the next two years.
>>
>>376633939
>>376633928
yeah no 4k tv so that's not an issue. I was more worried about durability and better FPS
>>
All disks are eventually copied to the hard-drive anyway and then run from there, so you don't actually use the drive much. Mine's never had a problem though.

As for performance, it depends on the game. Bloodborne's biggest performance issue isn't actually dropping frames, but rather it feeling like it dropped frames due to bad frame pacing. One comes early and the next one comes late. You technically got and average of 30fps, but it feels like a 15fps stutter because of the timing. The pro's boost mode doesn't help with that at all. It's also something you just kinda get used to.

I can only think of a handful of places in the entire game where the frame rate actually plummets, and they're in chalices where the random placement of things can result in large numbers of specific enemies spawning simultaneously that the game was never meant to handle. Even that's incredibly rare, and most people won't bother with actually random chalices since the main progression ones are fixed.
>>
>>376633834
>New games are already releasing without Pro support. Just get the PS4 slim.
There isn't a single new release I have bought in the past 5 months that doesn't have Pro support in some capacity.
Maybe there are some weeb games or indie stuff that don't, but I don't know.
>>
>>376633909
Correct. Unless the game has features specific for the Pro like higher framerate or resolution, the only thing the Pro will do is smoothen out framerates where you'd normally get frame drops, and quicken loading times.
>>
>>376633928
>>376633939
>>376634054
Prob shouldn't need to, but anyway, thees.
>>
What other features does the pro have the the original does not? do the controllers feel better?
>>
>>376634362
Better Remote play connectivity, and I think that's it.
>>
I have the pro, but between unsupported games and supported games, I can barely tell a difference. Maybe I'm retarded though. Nier still had fps drops even with boost mode, is all I know. Also the Pro is fat as fuck, which is annoying for a console in the current year. Nonetheless, there might eventually be a situation where Pro becomes normal and the old ones less so, possibly with the release of a budget pro, or pro slim, etc. In that situation, and with the end of the gen meaning games are pushing the hardware more than ever, the Pro could potentially end up being worth it. But that's just a possibility, not sure how likely it is.
>>
>>376634362
Controller is pretty much the same, although there's a really small light strip on the top of the touch pad now. Just in case seeing the reflection in your tv of the other light wasn't enough.
>>
>>376633834
>>376633909
>>376634201
Not true.
The Pro mode is supported but devs don't have to make special cases. They just have a rule that the games have to be at least 1080p and as stable a framerate as the original PS4.
>>
>tfw you might get PS4 from you employer for free
>tfw it depends if chinese fags my boss is making business with will actually send it and wont fuck it up
>my boss wrote them that we want 5 pieces of playstations
>they asked if we want PS4 or PS5
>>
Is there any benefit to the slim PS4 over the original?
>>
>>376634660
100-150 bucks less
>>
>>376634481
Nier has actual pro support, so boost mode doesn't affect it. A problem comes up where developers push the hardware too hard because they know visuals sell more than performance, and instead of using the pro mode to simply smooth the performance, they add in more visuals to fuck up the performance even on the stronger hardware.
>>
>>376634481
Nier runs at 1080p with anti-aliasing on the pro, compared to 900p without AA on standard ps4.
It's notorious if you have the chance to play one and then the other.
The thing with the pro is that you get used to how games look very fast so the improvement quickly lose its impact, until you get to see how the standard one looks
>>
>>376634660
The PS4 original makes a lot of noise/heat compared to Slim. And something about the bottom screw lids being uneven plus the Eject button is hyper sensitive to the point it will spit out discs at random.
>>
>>376634874
Is that a super common issue? now you got me worried. Does the PS4 original overheat a lot?
>>
>>376633578
No, just buy a cheap one. Most games aren't going to run any better on the new one and I doubt you have a 4K TV, Sony just wanted to be able to charge $400 for the PS4 again.
>>
>>376634871
>It's notorious if you have the chance to play one and then the other.
That makes no sense, notorious is not the word you're looking for.
>>
>>376634917
>System is barely over three years old
>Already have to ask about possible console-bricking defects

Why are consoles made to break?
>>
>>376635289
Yeah it's unfortunate since last gen that consoles break down so easily but this is why I need to know. Iv'e heard of all the horror stories of the original PS3 overheating so I wanna make sure if I do buy an original PS4 i'm not gonna have it break in less than a year.
>>
>>376633909
By default any games running on the Pro that do not have a Pro Patch run in a sort of compatibility mode. The PS4 Pro downclocks its CPU to match the base PS4 and turns off half the cores on its GPU to match the power of the base PS4.

There is a feature in settings called "boost mode" which lets unpatched games have access to more power though, this is helpful if the game in question struggled to maintain its target frame rate on the base PS4.
>>
>>376634917
I have a regular and a pro and while the pro runs a lot quieter when playing anything that doesn't use the extra hardware, when it does it sounds pretty much the same as the regular ps4. Even at their worst, neither are louder than my 360 or ps3 were. Can't speak for the slim, but there's not much reason to buy a vanilla over it anyway.

I also never had any issues with the buttons on my regular PS4 or with disks ejecting randomly. I never really pressed them though, because you can do the same thing from the controller. I'd imagine with all hardware, sometimes people just get a shitty one and need to use the warranty. It's not like it's super common (like the red ring or ps2 disk drives). You just only hear people that had a bad experience because everyone else has no reason to say anything about it.
>>
>>376633578
Whatever you do, get puyo puyo tetris
>>
slim is the best option if you don't have a 4k display
if you do own one however, don't listen to the Nintendo bootlickers here and get the pro,if graphics are worth a 100 bucks extra to you.

I personally found it worth it because I had nothing to show for my 4k display.

playing 4k or even 1440p at least makes my purchase of a uhd display worthwhile
>>
>>376633834
>New games are already releasing without Pro support.
Name them, because developer guidelines state they have to add some sort of Pro support from its release or your game doesn't come out. Even indie stuff like Snake Pass has it.
>>
>>376635861
Prey literally has no pro enhancements despite it even carrying the "Pro Enhanced" badge on the back of the case.
>>
File: 1493387349118.gif (1MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
1493387349118.gif
1MB, 290x189px
>>376634642
>>
>>376634185
Prey has no Pro support.
>>
>>376635574
The PS3 and 360 actually had pretty strong hardware for the time. Compared to consumer-grade PC stuff available. The 360 especially, since it released a year earlier. It's no wonder they literally destroyed themselves with time. This generation went pretty light on specs, so nothing has an issue with overheating.

>>376635861
I don't believe Sony actually mandates pro support, but they really assume that (and talk like) most games will have it because it's an effortless addition that adds at least some marketing value to the title. There's really no reason not to use the extra hardware, if only to smooth out frame-rates a little bit, even if they don't want to spend the time/money for checkerboard faux-4k.
>>
so go for a slim then if I can help it?
>>
>>376633834
>As for Bloodborne, it used to have framedrops but they were patched out. It runs fine on a standard PS4 now.

chiming in as I just bought the ps4 with bloodborne, the game still chugs in very heavy instances (for example when you are coop-ing agianst cleric beast and comboing it to death with blood everywhere) otherwise there are almost no framedrops what so ever unless the game is streaming content, the frame pacing issue was patched out and loading times are bearable but I find it amusing that a ps4 loads slower than my shitty i3 loads dark souls 3
>>
File: neo_leak_1-768x852.jpg (106KB, 768x852px) Image search: [Google]
neo_leak_1-768x852.jpg
106KB, 768x852px
>>376636624
>I don't believe Sony actually mandates pro support
It seems like it's up to the developer but they heavily encourage them to.

>>376636697
Slim if you don't want to pay the extra $100 and want to risk worse looking and running games. Yakuza 6 for example runs like absolute ass on a base PS4 with screen tearing, worse framerate, and worse resolution, Nier runs at a lower resolution with no AA on a base PS4, and you can't take advantage of Boost Mode on older games so you don't get the benefit of better framerates on the older games.
>>
>>376636697
Yes.
>>
>>376634917

the switch overheats more than the phat ps4

source I bought a used ps4 and after 4 hours of bloodborne it was barely hot meanwhile 1 hour of zelda on switch while docked makes it cook an egg easily
>>
>>376636956
>better framerates on the older games
Literally no relevant exclusives benefit substantially from this. Only shit like Project Cars and Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>376637214
Bloodborne is basically a smooth 30 fps in boost mode. Plenty of sub-20 dips on a regular PS4
>>
>>376637429
>Plenty of sub-20 dips on a regular PS4
Wrong. As has been said in this thread, the framedrops were patched out ages ago.
>>
>>376637429
Bloodborne is a smooth 30FPS most of the time on base PS4. It's the uneven framepacing that makes it feel like it's dropping, which not even being on the Pro fixes.

https://youtu.be/BLFatxFg0nM?t=54s

>>376636956
Sony's only mandate is that all PS4 Pro games must be a minimum of 1080p, and that they must run "the same as or better than PS4".
>>
>>376633578
Ignore every single response in this thread and read mine.

Pro is only worth it if you have a 4K TV with HDR pro. Pro being VERY important because many tvs will have a lesser version of HDR that the PS4pro does not support. You must have a TV that specifies HDRpro (may differ in names by brand) LG has very good 4k hdrpro tvs for their price.

If you dont have a 4k tv the only plus about having a pro is the increased memory and boost mode, which affects ALL non patched ps4 games and makes them run smoother. While you can still play games with a ps4 pro patch on a non 4k tv, you will not get the full benifits of it.

Do not listen to anyone else in this thread, this post is the absolute TRUTH.
>>
>>376636956
>want to risk worse looking and running games
Buy the slim, don't buy into this bullshit. If this happens it's fucking intentional and should be called for the bullshit it is. Don't support planned obsolescence and iterated console hardware.

>>376637214
>Dark Souls 2
Doesn't that already run at 60fps? It was a 360/PS3 port, why would it need "enhanced" performance on the pro at all?
>>
>>376637610
That could still mean we get games that run at 15fps on the base model but better on the new model, shady as all get-out.
>>
>>376634660
Quieter, cooler, cheaper, better looking, download speeds are faster.
>>
>>376637695
>Don't bother unless you have a specific kind of 4K TV

>But even then it really doesn't matter because PS4 Pro isn't native 4K in the first place and HDR is supported on the base model too

>Just get the base model and don't support Apple-tier intentional obsolescence
>>
>>376637116
>>376635749
>bringing up Nintendo for absolutely no reason
You fucks are giving Sony fans a bad name.
>>
>>376637957
>Slim
>cheaper than the original model
>>
>>376637695
There are some fringe cases too. For example, The Last Guardian can run really choppy both on the regular PS4 and the Pro when outputting at 4k, but actually runs much better on a Pro when forced to 1080p.
>>
>>376637717
>If this happens it's fucking intentional and should be called for the bullshit it is.
Considering we've already seen Kingdom Hearts 0.2, Yakuza 6, Nier Automata, The Last Guardian, and Horizon Zero Dawn running far better on the Pro than other systems it's already happening. Base PS4 users get the shaft nowadays.
>>
>>376638435
Nier has similar amounts of framedrops on the Pro and the regular PS4, just in different spots. HZD is constant 30fps on both, just with a couple of detail level tweaks on the Pro.
>>
>>376638435
Which is why people shouldn't be buying Pros and supporting that kind of bullshit, it's exactly what Sony wants.

They can't outright say games will run worse on the old model, but they're trying to subtly encourage buyers to get the new $400 model with the idea that if they don't, the old one might not offer as good an experience. Instead of just trying to sell the same console to new people, they're selling it to current owners as well since the market is shrinking.

We've had console revisions before, but they have never offered a significant performance "boost" or threatened to cause games to run poorly on the older models.
>>
>>376633578
Get a regular PS4 for now and wait for the PS5. I guarantee it will be fully backwards compatible with all PS4 games, and will have Boost Mode 2.0.

Sony and Microsoft are going to move to permanent backwards compatibility from now on because they know it's the only way to compete with the PC in the long term.
>>
>>376633578
I have a pro, but id say get the regular for cheap and wait for the next ps5 in 3 or 4 years. The main difference i notice on the pro is quicker load times but that isnt worth the cost.
>>
>>376633578
if you want to play objectively good games with good gameplay: hell no
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.