[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree that this was, at best, a 7/10 when it first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: Half-Life_2_cover.jpg (67KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_2_cover.jpg
67KB, 300x428px
Can we all agree that this was, at best, a 7/10 when it first came out?

>short campaign
>boring as fuck driving sequences that come out of nowhere
>unfinished plot
>"realistic" females that are ugly as shit

This game would never be appreciated on /v/ if it was released today
>>
Agreed , Anon bringing out the facts
>>
>short campaign

For a linear FPS campaign it's pretty lengthy
>>
>short as fuck
It really isn't
>>
File: 1329891416979.jpg (8KB, 170x155px) Image search: [Google]
1329891416979.jpg
8KB, 170x155px
yes the gameplay is shit, but at the time the technology was very impressive (the faces, voice acting, and physics of the Source Engine).
>>
Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpCv12q6fFI
>>
I never got the appeal of these games, even when they came out, they always just seemed so...lifeless, I dunno. Gameplay was never that great either.
>>
>>376580216
don't say ANYTHING bad about it or else normalfags will beat you to shit

HL1 was more enjoyable
>>
>>376580216
Game isn't 10/10 because the gunplay isn't that good and the pacing is constantly butchered to throw in a dumb physics puzzlers, the story also leaves us with more questions than answers.

Never understood the circlejerk behind the second game t b h
>>
>>376580216
>getting chased by helicopters for half the game
>tons of mandatory walk and talk sequences
>none of the experimental weaponry from the first game, only new gun of merit is the gravity gun
>most enemies are combine solders, or Zombies/facehuggers

The only part I had fun with was the prison sequence with all of the antlions. That part was fucking great, everything else was kind of meh.
>>
>>376580216

I think anyone that makes any blanket statements about HL or HL2 being bad need to disclose their age first.
>>
The campaign is not short on a first playthrough, and packs a good deal of variety compared to most shooter campaigns. Quality is better than quantity.
>>
>>376582875
At least a third of the game to half of it consists of riding inside a buggy or boat. That's not variety, quality, or quantity.
>>
>>376580216
The guns just feel like shit and the few that don't have no ammo.
>>
>>376582964
Maybe if you sucked at them, there's only two and they take about an hour combined.
>>
I'm not even sure when it became such a praised game, I mean I can remember the graphics etc being praised, but I feel like it achieved the whole meme status later on throughout the years people were waiting for 3
It all somehow elevated 2 to some pedestal that it wasn't on to begin with

But yeah, it was always just alright in my opinion while 1 was amazing
>>
>>376583224
Contemporary reviews are still around, it was widely praised on release.
>>
No, namely because I was in high school when it came out and remember in vivid detail what a huge deal it was.
>>
>>376583432
I don't mean it wasn't praised or anything, but I don't think that's the same as having that status as some revolutionary era defining 10/10 masterpiece it seems to thought of by some crowds now
Maybe my perspective is just skewed, I didn't play it until Orange Box and wasn't even really paying attention because my toaster could barely handle vanilla WoW back then which was basically all I was playing
>>
The physics stuff was kind of fresh
The combat and weapons in HL have always been clunky
I'd push it to 7.5/10
It really was just a way for them to push Steam (which was always-online bullshit when it came out btw)
>>
>>376583224
It was the big GOTY winner with the only real competition being San Adreas.14 year old me bought the Orange Box in 07 specifically because Half Life 2 was supposedly an all time great game.
>>
>>376580216
I can agree that you were 7-10 years old when it came out, you walking shitpile
>>
games gen z faggots just dont get general?
>>
>>376583224

>I wasn't aware of the game until the whole meme crap started
>therefore it is bad

Kids
>>
>>376583670
>some revolutionary era defining 10/10 masterpiece
Obviously that becomes easier to appraise with hindsight, of course sentiment would swell over time.
>>
>>376582543
That's funny, I hated the antlion part because of their flying charge was annoying and humanoids are more satisfying to kill. Feels good to sprint around a corner and double barrel blast a combine in the head 1HKOing him.
>>
>>376582735
Also their country of origin since they are almost universally BR monkeys.
>>
>>376580216
Was 10/10 at the time cause sequel+new engine
Now pick up that can
>>
>make the first real fucking physics engine fps
>real fucking ragdolls
>hurr boat is dumb

The boat was a masterpiece of programming gravity you piece of SHIT. AI is hit or miss.
The "balance shit on the board to walk on it" episode got old real fast though.

It used to be fucking stupid broken for speedrunning.
>>
>>376580216
Honestly a perfect 10/10, contrarians newfags get fucked.
>>
>>376584154
>implying
/v/ reading comprehension
Not even once
>>
>>376584248
He meant the part where you start controlling the antlions
>>
>>376584495

That's the classic "I knew about it before, I just didn't pay attention to it" response people make when they just found out about something but they want to fit in. You might fool your friends, just don't try it here, you make yourself look like a tool
>>
>>376584761
Yeah dude, that's it
Figured me out and fucking roasted me too
>>
>>376583892
>Halo 2
>Doom 3
>Rome Total War
>Metal Gear Solid 3
>World of Warcraft
>Kotor 2
>Riddick: Butcher Bay
Off yourself, HL2 had loads of competition that year.
>>
>>376583670
Go back and look at games that were out at the time. I'll wait. You know what the most technically advanced FPS was until Half Life 2 came out?

Planetside.

Half Life 2 looks clunky now because everything it does has been done a million times better using IT as the baseline.

Everything except mods, that is. Half Life 2 stands as the most modded FPS game of all time.
>>
>>376584982
>Planetside

Good lord was that an experience. It's a shame Planetside 2 has become what it is today. The gunplay mechanics are so great it's almost worth reinstalling that cesspool of a game.
>>
>>376580216
>tfw what they originally had but scrapped due to leaks would have been way better

it's not fair bros
>>
>>376580216
It was literally a tech demo with a story shoehorned in
Half life 1 is 1000 times better
I wish black Mesa would come out
>>
>>376584396
>The boat was a masterpiece of programming gravity
Well first of all, how was it a masterpiece of "programming gravity" can you please explain that in plain old English?
And if we are talking vehicles, Halo and Tribes has already done that.
>>
>>376580216
Not these threads again.
>>
>>376586146
>/v/
>Expecting different threads every day
>>
>>376585926
>Halo and Tribes has already done that
Who claimed Half Life invented vehicles?
>>
>>376580216
I'd lean toward 8/10 on release. I did play in 2004, and while I was blown away by the graphics and physics, that's pretty much all it had going for it. The plot barely went any where, and most of the game was a bunch of setbacks and detours. The driving segments were atrocious and ate up too much game time. The gravity gun wasn't even that spectacular, considering Turok had a similar weapon a year earlier.

I sure do love me some see-saw puzzles though.
>>
>No one talk about fallout 1 and 2
No wait, /v/’s just an idiot
>>
>>376584982
Far Cry and Doom 3 come to mind.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.