[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strafe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 45

File: 9645.jpg (83KB, 482x570px) Image search: [Google]
9645.jpg
83KB, 482x570px
It's shit, right?
>>
it's okay, the spinfusor is really fun. Just very falsely advertised
>>
I don't know why, but all that "DUDE IT'S LIKE 1996" stuff they use as their main point for advertising really annoys me. It feels like too blatant nostalgiabaiting.
>>
>>376572862
today's patch fixed some things, but not enough things. took it from a D to a C+
>>
>>376573374
This. 'le nostalgia' marketing really pisses me off.

I feel like it could be a good/great game but HOLY FUCK why didn't they add infinite clip size? Why do I have to reload every 3 seconds? I don't want to play 'le retro' fps with COD guns.
>>
Pretty average game with advertising you know that's misleading when you bother taking a look at the gameplay.

The game recently got a patch that appears to resolve some of the problems I had with the gameplay, so I'll see how that turns out.
>>
>>376573749
game would be about a billion times better with no reloading+infinite ammo
>>
>pc exclusive
>"procedurally generated" meme
>"callback", "retro", "homage"
>ironic shitty graphics

what do you think?
>>
File: C_fSKoRXoAE0T9R.jpg (118KB, 682x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C_fSKoRXoAE0T9R.jpg
118KB, 682x1200px
It got patched, though./
>>
Yes. And not just because the dev is a shill faggot who won't leave us alone.
>>
>>376574570
It's a nice start. Any word on when this will be out for GOG users?
>>
>>376572862
I really was hoping it'd have been solid, I'm not a huge fan of these types of games but that polygon-esque artstyle makes me hard and the gameplay looked fun. But judging by the reviews it isn't what it could have been. I might get it when it's on sale for real cheap.
>>
>>376574749
there was an option to redeem keys on GOG for kickstarter backers
>>
>>376572862
>Mixed reviews
You tell me anon
>>
>>376574730
what's wrong with advertising? Jlist does it
>>
>>376574570
just let me turn the fucking fall damage off you faggots. I really like the bhopping, I like how goddamned fast you can go, it's just so awful that I get punished for it.
>>
>>376575030
jlist PAYS for it. also jlist doesn't disguise its advertising as regular threads done by normal 4chan users
>>
>>376575030
its against the rules
>>
>>376574570
>increased the height that triggers fall damage
>twice
Even their patch notes have bugs
>>
>>376573374
It was also a lie.
>>
the biggest failing of the game is this, and anyone who plays it pretty much universally agrees.

you use one (of 3) guns, with 2 of the 3 upgrades for each gun being utter garbage.

and that is it, no branching paths, no cool combo upgrades ALA Isaac, its basically 1 gun and 1 good upgrade for the gun, and that is all you got beyond stat upgrades which are so minor you can't even feel them happen beyond mag size.

its like "oh I have the rail cannon and the machine gives me the triple shot, well its over"

not to mention the "random" guns you pick up are literally just a single magazine of one of the upgraded guns you can get, instead of something unique.
>>
Excited for it to come out in VR, but it if doesn't support the motion controls it is trash.
>>
File: 442780_20170510183120_1.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
442780_20170510183120_1.png
1MB, 1600x900px
so what the fuck is this room

feels like it's supposed to have a weapon in it but there was nothing in there
>>
How the fuck do I get past the third level? I die there every time because the first two always deplete my health too much.
>>
File: dusk.jpg (161KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dusk.jpg
161KB, 1280x720px
>>376573374
The worst part about it is it's nothing like any shooter from 96. Not even the graphics are. It's blatant lies.

At least Dusk is looking pretty good.
>>
>gender slider
>>
File: Untitled.png (392KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
392KB, 1920x1080px
>>376577060
I found this sucker in it. Might have to do with shooting up the dead body in 1-2.
>>
Making it a rogue-like was a big fucking mistake. They spent their entire budget on those fake commercials.
>>
>indie shit trying to cash-in on nostalgia
>spends more on some shitty normie trailer than the actual game
>>
>>376577540
it's literally just a voice slider
>>
>>376579392
ah lol nice that's a neat easter egg. patch notes claim that's a bug, it should always be there.

but yeah wow it bums me out to hear that this game isn't very good, I had high hopes for it. I'm a sucker for anything that panders to quake/q2-era feels, even if it isn't 100% emulating that style of game. I'm also a sucker for neat HUDs and overly-elaborate gore effects.

it just sucks to hear that it didn't turn out well. also how did they not literally just look at the quake 3 source code, recreate the movement code in Unity, and tweak it from there? jfc

also, other indie devs on twitter are tripping over themselves to shill for it, naturally, and gamespot gave it an 8/10? fucking lol
>>
File: file.png (270KB, 643x902px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
270KB, 643x902px
their Steam forums are lulzy as hell too
>>
>>376575695
They probably had to mention it twice for emphasis given you could take fall damage just dropping slightly further than your jump height. Hop down a couple steps or any incline and you're going to take at least 4 damage.
>>
>>376574941
I meant the actual patches ya dolt.
>>
>>376576598

>the biggest failing of the game is this, and anyone who plays it pretty much universally agrees.

The biggest failing of the game is that it's an FPS with shit combat, shit AI and non-existent level design.

It has nothing to do with the lack of "cool combo upgrades" or rogue like elements.
>>
>>376580647
Gabe Newell says the worst thing you can do to criticism is ignore it, no matter how volatile the person is being. He said he would get e-mails all the time of people calling him nasty shit and swearing left and right, but as soon as he responded to them to get a better idea of what they were upset about, he said every single time they would calm down and elaborate more constructively. His point was that people become volatile when they don't think anyone is listening. If they feel that what they say is actually being heard, they don't feel the need to resort to senseless nonsense in the form of criticism.
>>
>>376576598
It would have been way more fun if you had been equipped with the three primary weapons at once. More overall ammo, but less ammo for each weapon. There would be more picking and choosing, using the best weapon for the situation, falling back to another if you overuse one or simply find a scarcity/abundance of ammo for one or the others.

This single weapon and shitty temp pickup gun thing is lame and makes fighting feel really "flat", quickly monotonous.
>>
>>376581971
And that's exactly right too. Wise words.
>>
>>376581798
having not played it, I think it might be both, actually; it's another No Man's Sky, a false bill of goods hyped up by "Game Developers" with a tiny bit of style and no substance. the gore effects look neat, and the graphics look to be about what I'd expect... but if the guns aren't fun to shoot, the enemies aren't fun to shoot, the random level design boils down to "randomly-connected premade cubes" (and not literally any kind of more interesting algorithm)... AND, on top of that, the roguelite elements don't add anything to the game... idk, I just don't see much reason to buy it.
>>
File: C54APKCUoAAY1Nf.jpg (299KB, 1200x1112px) Image search: [Google]
C54APKCUoAAY1Nf.jpg
299KB, 1200x1112px
The guy is an absolutely mediocre game designer, yet a prodigy at marketing this game.
>>
>>376577275
but that loooks shit too. Quake has been out for 21 years. Just play the real thing
>>
>>376583095

Devolver are responsible for the marketing.

The devs are just straight up shit.
>>
First Patch Notes
PAPA’S FIRST PATCH!

We’re working on a patch that will be coming out today. Please send any issues & bugs to [email protected] otherwise they will most likely not be seen.

We’re still working on the patch but here’s what we’re working on in this one. We aim to release patches pretty frequently for the foreseeable future.

This patch is designed to fix common bugs and tweak difficulty in the first zone.

Patch Notes:

Increased the height that triggers fall damage
Halved the fall damage
Increased health in first zone (ICARUS)
Increased range of FOV (60-120)
Fixed issue disallowing certain systems from using all available resolutions
Weapon sounds are louder
Increased the height that triggers fall damage
Fixed problems with level geometry that could cause players to get stuck
Fixed bug causing a secret gun to not fire
Fixed bug causing secret gun to rarely not appear
Raised and lowered the extremes on mouse sensitivity
Fixed issues that could cause all enemies to freeze
Removed self damage from three of the player’s primary fire (Flak,Rebound,LMG)
Fixed volume of music in zone 3 (THE BURBS)
Adjusted audio mixer to a better balance
Adjusted some audio to have better spatialization
Fixed bug that stopped some enemies from making their sound effects as intended
Glowbrite pursue sounds
Turret footsteps have better proximity
Carrier footsteps sounds
Adjustment to Glutton proximity alert
Fixed bug that stopped item descriptions from showing in the merchant
Fixed bug that stopped the player from navigating the inventory with the mouse
Improved reliability for some minor secret activations
Fixed in game achievement tracking from showing the correct achievement
>>
I feel I'm getting my money's worth on it, but it's easy to see where others feel the game is lacking. Would wait for discount or just digital rent. Game needs to be optimized greatly, it puts significant temps on my GPU.
>>
>>376572862
gameplay is flawed, it's your basic shit shooter where your best tactic is go backwards.
No matter how much patches they will make it will be at fundamental level a shit FPS.
>>
The game just released yesterday and got patched today

It's pretty good right now

The hype was off the roof though. Still it's fun enough. And hard.
>>
honestly feels like an early access game
>>
>>376583275

>game is called "Strafe"
>The best strategy is to move backwards and funnel enemies.

Wow, how do you fuck up this bad?
>>
>>376583464

No it's fucking not.

And what happened to releasing games that were even remotely complete?

There is Early Access garbage out there at the moment that is a more complete experience than Strafe.
>>
>>376572862
I didnt know this shit existed until yesterday, are you going to tell me there was hype for it?
>>
>>376583464
That patch did fuck all. The game is still garbage. Fuck off shill.
>>
File: 1383543755710.png (271KB, 282x474px) Image search: [Google]
1383543755710.png
271KB, 282x474px
>>376573374
>Price:$19.96

Oh Fuck OFF with that shit
>>
>>376572862
slightly below average
>>376574507
>pc exclusive
it's on ps4 too and it's a broken mess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krxoVBuWCHM
>>
>>376583623
because riding on hype and old school looks is easier than making AI that can do anything but basic follow entity.
>>
>>376582793
>it's another No Man's Sky,
it's not nearly as bad as that

it's just not as good as people thought it would be
>>
>>376583260
they did the initial marketing with the videos and all that. so they had a very clear idea for it at least. they actually went out and bought an old 90's camcorder to film shit in
>>
Game isn't even in the top sellers on steam. Ouch.

I want to feel bad for the devs but for some reason I can't. Probably because they obviously put more effort into marketing and trailers than the game.
>>
>>376583924
It was when it first came out, then the refunds started to happen.
>>
File: mild pain.jpg (22KB, 391x391px) Image search: [Google]
mild pain.jpg
22KB, 391x391px
>>376583732
>someone enjoys a kickstarted game that the /v/ hivemind is supposed to 100% hate
>SHILL SHILL SAGE FOR VIRAL!!

every time
>>
>>376583996

Devs on suicide watch?

Somebody get in touch with them, ask if they're okay. I'm worried.
>>
File: file.png (609KB, 572x626px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
609KB, 572x626px
>>376583650
there was a decent amount of hype within a very limited subset of people, mostly in the indiesphere on twitter (and the various indie wannabes).

>>376583095
>>376583260
this is what makes me sad about these sorts of "indie games"—they come off as being very ingenuine cash grabs. I'm not saying the devs are soulless monsters, but there seems to be this feeling among indie devs that they have to really push the marketing messages of the game, and "sell you on the feeling" of it. also gin up, or at least stoke likely-fake "controversy", see pic related.

after No Man's Sky came out, Rami Ismail wrote a blog post about how NMS's marketing was genius. I personally dislike Rami for many reasons, but if you read his blog post, and keep in mind how much NMS shat the bed, you can't help but feel really cynical and jaded about the current state of indie development http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/a-pitching-masterclass-through-no-mans-sky/
>>
>>376584040
>OH MAN IT DA /V/ IS ONE PERSON POST AGAIN
How about, you actually fucking do arguments or counter arguments and not just look like a brainlet.
>>
>>376584040
This post is how I know you're either the dev or one of his marketers. Normal posters don't do this.
>>
>>376584209
maybe you should try for some reading comprehension
>>
>>376574570

sounds like an early access game lmao
>>
>>376584131
/v/edditors are just looking for the next tortanic to shit on and harass the people who made it
pretty sad desu
>NMS marketing
basically anyone who falls for this stuff deserves to be ripped off
welcome to the real world
>>
Wait a second, they're using the "90s shooters" gimmick and there is no multiplayer? Are these people retarded?
>>
>>376584278
do what? defend a game on /v/?

is /v/ one person? is it impossible for people to dislike a game and someone else to like it?

it's below average but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it for what it is. I backed it, and I'm gonna squeeze my money's worth out of it.
>>
>>376584394
>Are these people retarded?
They are indiedevs, most likely they are.
>>
File: if only.jpg (38KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
if only.jpg
38KB, 550x512px
>>376584278
>everyone I don't agree with is a marketer!
discussing videogames on neo-/v/ is truly worse than cancer
>>
>>376584131
it's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say here... it seems like these devs downloaded Unity, prototyped a thing that LOOKED how they wanted it to LOOK, and THEN they designed the gameplay afterwards. even so, they still put more effort into the LOOK of everything (the gore effects and helmet HUD in STRAFE) over the actual, second-to-second gameplay. they go for easy solutions for difficult problems, like procedurally generating Quake-style maps. I was thinking of solutions for that in my head... I assumed there'd be some level of prefab pieces that fit together, but I thought there'd be more procedural mesh generation or something.

or like, okay, maybe programming is hard and making complex procedural shit is too difficult, but the devs love the FEELING of those games, so they autistically focus on making the guns shoot REALLY well, at the expense of everything else. or they're way into roguelikes, so they focus on making the roguelike aspects interesting, even though the gunplay sucks.

but nope, it seems like this game is just kinda not-fun all around... all hype, no bite. really sad, was kinda looking forward to it.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 238x212px
When you realize that Doom has better enemy AI than STRAFE because at least the enemies zig-zag towards the player instead of a straight line. Also when you realize Wolfenstein 3D, the grandfather of the modern FPS has more satisfying weapons to shoot.

This game gets more pathetic the more I think about it.
>>
>>376584394
I think they planned co-op at one point but dropped it
no reason to have multiplayer though there are plenty of other games for that
>>
File: Devil Daggers.jpg (96KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Devil Daggers.jpg
96KB, 1280x720px
>>376584394

There's nothing of anything really.

I mean shit like Devil Daggers literally has one weapon and no level design yet manages to be 100x the the game that Strafe is.
>>
>>376584609
Doom has better AI than most games including the new one
it may be simple but it's effective and dynamic
>>
>>376584394
>>376584617
for every mistake they seem to have made in developing this game, making a halfassed online multiplayer game would've been even worse. either your game is amazing and people play it all the time like Rocket League, or it's dead after a month.
>>
File: 1394685682993.gif (988KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1394685682993.gif
988KB, 250x250px
>>376584131
>there was a decent amount of hype within a very limited subset of people, mostly in the indiesphere on twitter (and the various indie wannabes).
I was hyped and I am none of those things
I just liked the demo and the music and liked the edgy 90's VHS commercial for it
>>
>>376584716
not to be too harsh but the fact that the DD weapon is apparently in STRAFE as an easter egg almost sullies the DD name imo
>>
>tfw you like the music and the graphics but the gameplay gets old really fast
I hope they can turn this around with patches, as unlikely a situation as that is
>>
>>376584728
You know, back in the 90s Multiplayer was just an afterthought, and it worked great for most of them.
Heck doom didn't even have unique multiplayer levels.
>>
just put another 30 minutes into it post-patch. died when I ran out of ammo

1) having limited ammo with only one gun is really obnoxious. (especially when the only way to open a crate is by shooting it!) at least doom 4 gave the player an unlimited ammo pistol

2) the smg alt fire uses an obnoxious amount of ammo, won't fire unless you have more than 20? rounds in your magazine, and doesn't do NEARLY enough damage to be worth it

3) shotgun sucks

4) railgun is annoyingly inaccurate, for a game that puts so much emphasis on picking off the ceiling guys at distance

5) no hurtstun on any of the enemies, which makes crowd control tough

typical indie game, spent a lot of time polishing stuff that didn't matter, but didn't do enough playtesting with people outside the company. Bad Robot and Sublevel Zero did the same thing

>>376584597
I wouldn't say the guns feel as good as quake

>>376584609
but they don't feel as bad as wolf3D, come on
>>
>>376584609
The funniest part is that this game has a secret Wolfenstein ripoff minigame called Luftenstein that plays identical and the AI in it is absolutely superior to Strafe.
>>
>>376584728
You sound trendy as fuck, there are thousands of low volume but still active multiplayer games.
>>
>>376573374
It's even worse considering the game is nothing like something from 1996.
>>
>>376584716
The devil dagger is actually in strafe, it probably feels way worse though.

But yeah, Devil Daggers managed to be a great game (it's essentially first person Geometry Wars with a fantasitc visual style and audio design.) Because it focused on one thing and did that one thing really fucking good.

Fuck the people who hate on it for not being a traditional fps.
>>
>>376584897
that's because the gameplay and levels were all interchangeable
hell you can even co-op any doom, descent, quake, duke/sw/blood etc level as long as it has spawns for other players and it just werks
>>
>>376584897
there's way too many games for that to work anymore. plus the novelty of online multiplayer is not what it once was. if you want to play a shooter, there's plenty AAA shooters for you to sink your time into

>>376584993
how many of them were released in the last few years, and by an indie studio?

>>376585023
who actually hates on Devil Daggers? like even if it's not for you, one must surely at least respect that it does what it does very well, and aims for a specific aesthetic and absolutely nails it. I'm shit at it but it's still a fun game to go back to every now and then, and the high score system with your friends (straight outta Geometry Wars) is rad
>>
File: Untitled.png (437KB, 1059x729px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
437KB, 1059x729px
>>376572862
The fact that they got a whole locked subforum for threads with criticism they dislike should say something.
>>
>>376584915

I'm not kidding, to me the 3 guns in Wolfenstein 3D are more pleasing for me to fire than any of STRAFE's anemic shit guns. At least Wolf 3D's guns have some good "oomph" to them, despite that game's age.
>>
tfw all I want in strafe is the CS AK. accurate single shot, room spraying full auto

>>376584998
stop posting this in every thread you autistic fuck
>>
>>376584915
Wolfenstein absolutely feels better to play than this shit pile. You sound like the retarded dev posting 2000 word essays again.
>>
>>376585250
I just woke up like an hour ago asshole.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilvsGl2Pk7g

Better executed than strafe, and free.
>>
>>376584915
Visit monster closests, they have high chances to have ammo. Similarly secrets have high chancea to have shield pickups.

I agree that secondary shots use too much ammo, should just use a different ammo type.

It doesn't, the shotgun is easily the best gun in the game with the strongest modifications

Fuck whoever thought the railgun shouldn't be 100% accurate.

Agree, enemies don't react until they are death with the exception of the stome guys who flinch once at low hp, but they got so much hp you are basically firing bullets uppon bullets into them with no feedback that you are actually doing any damage to begin with.
>>
How the FUCK do I find secret rooms in this goddamned thing
>>
File: file.png (223KB, 591x680px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
223KB, 591x680px
>>376585221
pic related told me more about the game than all of the rest of the reviews combined
>>
>>376585375
you know that fusebox looking thing in your ship that you can shoot?

there's one of those in i think every level? look for em and shoot em, they open up a secret room
>>
>>376585168
>who actually hates on Devil Daggers?

It had a lot of buzz here when it came out due to the competitive nature of it so of course that meant this board was obviously filled with paid marketers trying to shill it.
>>
>>376585338
how le fug do you find secrets? every so often the end level screen will tell me I found a secret at some point, but I can never tell

>>376585480
oh

>>376585452
uh oh, the dev actually thinks the weapons are punchy? that's ominous

also love how I just got a kickstarter update from him complaining that all the negative reviews were left by "trolls". it's like if donald trump made a video game. sad!
>>
>>376585168
When it used to have /v/ threads around release there where quite a lot of people complaining that the game has no proper levels or a campaign, they said the game is "lost potential" because of it.
>>
>>376585168
it's barely a game

I hesitate to actually say it's actually worth 5 bucks for what it is
>>
>>376585452
Between this, the shitcunt dev shilling here constantly like a pedantic retard, and the devs moving all criticism in the forum to a separate section called "chump zone" I am so glad I refunded. I hope these faggots go under and never get to make another game again.
>>
>>376585452

These developers must be fucking deaf if they honestly can't grasp why their game's guns don't feel at all satisfying to shoot. Good lord.

Looks like STRAFE isn't just going to be Pixel Titans first game, it'll also be their last.
>>
>>376573749
you jokin?

you have to RELOAD in a fucking QUAKE ripoff?

the point of that shit was to GOFAST and KILLHARD

what, do you also need to hide behind cover?
might as well from these pussy ass devs and their shit ability to understand 1996
>>
>>376577275
this

its like, the idea is fine, but shit man, you aren't working with a limited engine or textures and shit. that is the key problem.
>>
>>376585949
>Do you also need to hide behind cover?

The single best strategy in the game is standing at the end of a hallway while funneling enemies through, rather than doing the game's namesake. Attempting to play it like Quake or DOOM actually punishes you since health is so goddamn rare.

Game is a travesty.
>>
File: 2017-05-11 07_48_02-Steam.png (15KB, 215x135px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-11 07_48_02-Steam.png
15KB, 215x135px
>>376585669
Kids these days have no fucking taste.
>>
>>376586086
Game is still shit but the first area does this because of how cramped and garbage it is, the other areas are a lot more open and actually allow you to strafe around enemies somewhat and it gets a bit better, but only a little bit.
>>
>>376585907
>Looks like STRAFE isn't just going to be Pixel Titans first game, it'll also be their last.

Nah I got a feeling it's going to be one of those games that has an abysmal launch but then a year later they fix a few of the major issues and rerelease it under a new title.
>>
>>376586116
w-what's your best time sempai?
>>
>>376586086

sure, it should be rare...
ON THE HARDEST FUCKING SETTING!

jesus, its like they didn't put any thought into this, they were all just idea men?
>>
Strafe?

More like Backpedal, Reload, Refund.

Did fucking anyone play test this pile of shit?

I mean their Day 1 patches alone are rife with things you think feel janky within mere minutes of playing the game.
>>
Seeing footage of this game reminded me that I need to check out some Doom Mods again. I've seen some pretty cool shit in that scene for the last few years, and there's something about the speed and simplicity of classic Doom that I just haven't found anywhere else.
>>
the game sucks
the devs paid some indian IT crew $200 to quickly barf out the patch that came out less than 24 hours after the game was released.
the game was over a year late on release and still unfinished.

the only reason they are doing so much damage control at this point is because the amount of steam reviews and refunds they've been dealing with.

fuck the company, fuck the kickstarter, fuck the game, fuck the shills.

I'll wait for dusk, spire, or nothing before i pirate this piece of shit again.
>>
>>376586172

Almost every 90's era shooter's first level is one of the most fun and iconic and serves to get the player excited for the rest of the game. Nice to see that's another thing about 90's shooters STRAFE completely gets fucking wrong.
>>
>>376583741
whats wrong with you?
>>
>>376586415
>the devs paid some indian IT crew $200 to quickly barf out the patch that came out less than 24 hours after the game was released.
sauce? I totally believe it btw.

I'm totally acquiring the unpatched version myself atm, purely as a case study to learn from.
>>
If nothing else, at least the music was pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPZ-ikQ5VaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJNospZjXnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvetotNZhkw

artist is a guy called Toytree.

>inb4 I get called a shill
>>
>>376572862
is this like tower of guns cuz i liked that
>>
File: 20170511075434_1.jpg (369KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170511075434_1.jpg
369KB, 1920x1080px
>>376586259
I actually used to be in the top 10 when the game was still new, but I haven't played much in a while so my rank has dropped to 135.

Sometime in the future i'm going to dedicate myself to try for the 500 seconds again, and it would at least put me in the top 100 again.
>>
>>376586747
just kinda assuming since we know they can't code their way out of a paperbag and it was done so quickly AFTER the release.

Seems they spent over half the budget on the commercials and pissed the other half away.

For fucks sakes, they didn't even have half the sound effects the game needed until the newest patch.
>>
>>376586769
The music is also shit. It's annoying as fuck yet simultaneously really boring and bland.
>>
>>376586905
get out of here adolf
>>
File: shrugging man in red shirt.jpg (17KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
shrugging man in red shirt.jpg
17KB, 384x313px
>>376586905
well I like it. sorry for your shit taste anon. hope you get better
>>
>>376587004

It's ok if you like the music, but it doesn't make it any less bland or boring.
>>
not a fun of procedural generation and probably never will be. Works for very few games, only one I can think of is rouges legacy.
>>
File: man_of_culture.jpg (51KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
man_of_culture.jpg
51KB, 1024x576px
>>376586784
respect. my high score is gone now for some reason (??) but I think I barely hit 60s. I love that game though, its audiovisual design and frantic gameplay, like... legitimately stresses me out at a visceral level. it makes my stomach feel unpleasant, in a way that I find interesting and enjoyable. plus it's actually well-designed. worth the five bucks for me, idk.
>>
>whole advertising campaign is based of it being like old 90s games
>literally Call of Duty + memes

What the actual fuck?
>>
>>376587132
It works great for Spelunky
>>
>>376586905
this.

>>376587004
you got shit tastes bro. songs old after 1 minute.
>>
>>376587132
It worked for that because it had actual progression. Starting over fresh in a roguelike every time you do sucks dick. This game desperately needed carry over upgrades/perks.
>>
>>376587132
risk of rain, diablo2 if you count that.
>>
>>376587059

The music doesn't even fit for the era of shooter's it's larping as. The music should be some kind of mix between metal and Industrial like Quake. The music sounds like 80's synth you'd hear in Hotline Miami.

These developers did not get a single thing right.
>>
File: 2016-02-22_00002.jpg (114KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-22_00002.jpg
114KB, 1920x1080px
>>376587142
I believe with the V2 update they reset the leaderboards due to how much they changed, although if you go to beta settings and select the 2015 branch you should be able to see it again as that is the original version of the game with the old leaderboards.
>>
>>376586086
It's not though, you waste tones of ammo and always get overrun and chewed up a little, plus enemies at the vanguard bodyblock your secondary fire and limit its effectiveness, the best strategy is to strafejump around a large area and herd all the melee shitters together you can wipe them with just one or two secondary shots, then you clean up the projectile enemies.
>>
>>376587132
>>376587196
here's the thing amateur gamedevs don't realize: making a good procedural game is more than just generating a bunch of random stuff. No Man's Sky had technically excellent procedural generation, in that planets looked pretty varied and awesome... but you just do the same shit every every few square miles on every planet. the animals have like three behaviors. etc. etc.

I'm almost finished downloading the game so I'll have more of an opinion soon, but just sticking prefab level-cubes together and randomly spawning certain enemies and a handful of upgrades doesn't add that much to the game. in order for your procedural generation to lead to interesting gameplay, you need a lot of different systems that can interact with each other in surprising and fun ways—like Spelunky. just making a shit shooter and giving it slightly shuffled level layouts doesn't do a lot to make it replayable. completely amateur gamedev mistake, I see it in tryhard student games all the time.

>>376587426
oh sick, I didn't know they did a huge update, fuck, I might have to dive back in sometime.
>>
I like it

What you gonna do, make me not have fun?
>>
File: Collectors Edition.png (469KB, 810x400px) Image search: [Google]
Collectors Edition.png
469KB, 810x400px
>>376587385

>These developers did not get a single thing right.

I un-ironically enjoyed their marketing and think the Collectors Edition is fucking awesome.

Unfortunately the game is absolutely the worst pile of shit i've been exposed to in some time.

And that's saying a lot given we've been swimming in a sea of early access garbage for almost half a decade.
>>
>>376587643
Box art is cool, all that other shit is LE NOSTALGIA faggotry.
>>
The day 2 patch proved that they're willing to listen to feedback but it's gonna be a couple of months at least before the game goes from a C- to a passable B.

I'm not gonna refund it but I'm not pleased either.
>>
>>376587643

Developers have nothing to do with marketing, that's what publishers are for. So no, they didn't get anything right.
>>
>>376587643
>bunch of LOL SO EDGY GRUNGE ERA PINS TO PUT ON YOUR JEAN JACKET VEST
Yet another fucking absolute miss.
>>
>>376587634

Quote from man not really having fun.
>>
>>376586415

>the game was over a year late on release and still unfinished.

Actually closer to 2 years, anon.
>>
>>376587868
They're pogs
>>
>>376588081
That's even dumber. Jesus.
>>
>>376587643
This is where the last 2 years and all the Kickstarter money went. It clearly did not go to the game at all.
>>
>>376587634

Not at all, friend. Please enjoy the game and do your best to finish it!
>>
just started playing and I did not expect the Unity color separation filter on everything. I expected a graphical style kind of like Devil Daggers... it's not *bad*, but it's an interesting visual aesthetic choice that I think says a lot about the game. when they think "1996 graphics", they apparently mean it in the broader sense of "dude remember back when you had, like VHS tapes and shit?", as opposed to "dude, do you remember Doom, Duke, Quake, Deus Ex, etc.?"
>>
File: tumblr_o9rot5XBLY1ugsx1xo1_500.gif (2MB, 500x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9rot5XBLY1ugsx1xo1_500.gif
2MB, 500x480px
>>376587557
They actually did two huge upgrades, the game is now on V3 which added a few new enemies to the later stages of the game. However that means it only changes things up after the 400 second mark with everything before that being the same as V2 which modified the spawns all around and added more enemies after 240~ second mark.

It doesn't look likely that they'll update the game again anytime soon now however.
>>
>>376588267
ah lol nvm that was just for the tutorial apparently? wtf, weird.
>>
Game forces you to reload constantly and they didn't even bother to have a fucking satisfying reload animation. Even Shadow Warrior and Duke 3D had reload animations. The amount this game just completely fails is astounding.
>>
>>376588584
They're lazy but also probably went "let's do the reload animation from Goldeneye. 'Member Goldeneye bruh?"
>>
Haha dude RETROWAVE! This is game is so effin hardcore straight out of 1996 DUDE! Game so brutal if you die in game you die IRL! Woah! Friggin A my dudeman.
>>
How many levels are in this? I keep hearing there's only four, that's like a few hours of game, right?
>>
>>376588715

This game is just full of "Remember when's" while never even doing any of the 'things' it's trying to remind us of. It's... very bizarre to say the least. This game is a paradox.
>>
>>376588889
4 areas with 3 levels each and a boss fight at the end, takes about an hour to beat everything on a normal pace.
>>
>>376588081
>no Alf pog

They fucked up.
>>
>>376588839
there is nothing retrowave about the game
>>
File: gp1.gif (808KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
gp1.gif
808KB, 600x200px
how do you guys feel about Exodemon

it's free
>>
>>376588889
I can't get out of the Icarus

I get killed on 3rd level all the time

Once I got to the second area and some rock giants that took no damage gangbanged me. Don't know what else is there.
>>
>>376589228
I always die in the third level too. Never been to the next area.
>>
>>376589228
rock giants are like minibosses in their own right

just use explosive shit on them they soak damage.

if you ever get ahold of a rocket launcher, save it for them
>>
>that first level theme
You can't name more annoying theme than this
>>
playing the unpatched version for free. finished the first level, fell through the floor on the way to the exit. game put me back in place, and the floor was fixed. went to the next level, and the enemies were all frozen in place where they spawned, immobile.

this game is very frustrating because it has all the pieces to be good, yet it's still not. the presentation of the game is totally fine, but the lackluster gameplay and sound design are just baffling.
>>
>>376589449
I actually agree. The music in this game is so bad. I really an struggling to think of any game with music this bad in the past few years.
>>
>>376589449
>>376589642
I get it, you didnt like it, you don't need to samefag over it again and again
>>
>>376589791
>le samedude meme xxDDD

No. Stop it.
STAHP!
>>
>>376580115
Wish they could of given the enemies better pathing too, that'd of been cool.
>>
>>376572862
one of the only games unironically shilled here and its absolute trash. just pirate it if you must
>>
>>376585452

Its not the sound, at least not the main problem.

Shit doesnt flinch or get knock back when you shoot them and mix with the bad AI it makes the weapons feel like crap
>>
>>376589181
Garbage
>>
File: 1494312742792.png (221KB, 374x376px) Image search: [Google]
1494312742792.png
221KB, 374x376px
>wait for trash to funnel down a hallways: the game
granted I haven't gotten past level 3 because I get bored and do stupid shit
does it get better at all?
>>
>>376584716
And what's funny is devil daggers is more of a side project of another indie game studio working on the game Spire
>>
>>376587385
>The music should be some kind of mix between metal and Industrial like Quake
I would agree but you really can't expect any old game to be able to get a composer as talented as Reznor.
>>
>>376587132
Rogue Legacy is complete shit. It's just a grind game. I don't mind that all these roguelites give bonuses instead of resetting your progress to completely nothing when you die, but Rogue Legacy ENCOURAGES you to die, there's basically no way to beat the game without dying and sinking a bunch of money into upgrades.

Fuck that game, it established basically ever terrible trend in the indie "rogue-lite" scene.
>>
>>376590212
Zones 2 onward gets better.
Not so much melee enemies so you can actually explore the level instead of being a chokepoint festival.
>>
>>376581971
I fucking dislike Steam and I want to dislike Gabe too, but he's pretty fucking alright when it comes down to the wire.
>>
>>376588715
>let's do the reload animation from Goldeneye. 'Member Goldeneye bruh?
Remember when Perfect Dark blew Goldeneye out of the water in every way, including the fact it had reload animations for every one of its dozens of guns? It's hard to use the excuse of "lol guns didn't have reload animations back then" when some of Perfect Dark's still look fantastic to this day (that fucking cyclone).
>>
The guns are literally just fucking blocks
>no reload animations, the gun just disappears from the screen
>firing animation is just the gun moving backwards
>they made the shotgun fire slow but didn't give it a satisfying pump action
Were they too lazy or inept to animate their guns?
>>
>>376589791
I don't like it either

I think the music may be good but it's passed on a high pitch filter or something that makes it sound like SANIC

The game is fun enough for a little game. Thing is that it was marketed as a big ass thing with addictive gameplay.

Needs better balancing and for the love of God, that first level OST off.
>>
File: 1360372250791.jpg (36KB, 577x451px) Image search: [Google]
1360372250791.jpg
36KB, 577x451px
>>376584915
>4) railgun is annoyingly inaccurate, for a game that puts so much emphasis on picking off the ceiling guys at distance

Considering the Assault Rifle has to deal with deviation and the Shotgun has short range, I'd say it's in a reasonable spot as a mid-range weapon. You're also supposed to raise accuracy with pickups.
>>
File: 1489018443147.jpg (60KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489018443147.jpg
60KB, 657x527px
>you pretty much only use one gun the entire game
who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>game is being outsold by birthdays the beginning
>a no budget, lousy port of a japanese game with absolutely no marketing
Amazing.
>>
It's an OK game

The movement is fun and the esthethics are fine, but needs some polishing all around on effects, punch in the weapons and difficulty.

Part of what makes it repetitive and frustrating is that the "pick your starter weapon" thing is flawed from the core IMO. If that was only your "first weapon" but you found weapons as you walk along the game it would be better, but every other weapon you find is disposable and you are stuck with the base weapons all the way which just aren't that fun.

Upgrading it is fine and could be kept as making it the best weapon in the game as the run kept going with enough upgrades but I just like all other pickup weapons more and of course, those are just limited ammo things.
>>
I've only got to the canyon but it seems like an ok game but not great. Most of the critcism I've seen boils down to the usual neo /v/ "game is too hard" "this isn't quake!" well no shit it isn't quake, it was advertised as a roguelike from the get go. The biggest problem I've seen is the AI is dumb and the enemies are crap.
>>
It bugs me that leg shots insta-kill the little guys instead of crippling/slowing, combined with shit accuracy on everything it kind of makes shotty the best option every time.
>>
call me a retard but I don't get what literally any of the pickups do. none of the pickups stand out at all (including scrap), so i'm just running everywhere hoping that some of these random blocks of pixels are pickups and not part of the scenery.
>>
>>376591671
I hadn't even heard of it before, but Birthdays the Beginning seems pretty tight.
>>
>>376591936
Skull = more dmg
Crosshair = More accuracy
Health = more Health

I think theres one for fire rate too.
>>
File: 1487882456266.jpg (145KB, 624x950px) Image search: [Google]
1487882456266.jpg
145KB, 624x950px
>how do we make a boss guys
>uhhh
https://my.mixtape.moe/kqadhz.webm

It was a really dumb decision to have the game start with the Icarus because the closed spaces and small tunnels make the game way worse than it actually is. Granted the game still isn't anything great but all the zones after the first are just way more fun than the first due to actually having the space to move around in.
>>
>>376591973
I only heard about it because its from the guy who created Harvest Moon or something. Reviews on steam seem to say the game is pretty good but the port is terrible, so give it some time and hope they patch it.
>>
>>376592018
are the skull and crosshair permanent upgrades for your gun? idk, none of that shit was explained at any point, and the powerups don't stand out like they do in any good shooter. even a game with "realistic" (at the time) graphics like Half-Life had bright white medpacks with a red cross on them, and light blue batteries.

also when I gibbed the guy at the start of the first level (dead guy w/ wrench in head if you go melee), a coin came out? the fuck does that do?
>>
>>376591515
There are plenty of barrels and disposable guns to use, some of them being based off the firing modes/upgrades of the guns you don't pick. So if you don't pick the Machine Gun, stuff like 50-round automatics and explosive flechette guns will appear at random parts of the game. Though if you switch between disposables, sometimes the character will act as if they have no ammo left even if you don't fire it all off. It's weird.

What I think they really did wrong though is that they're not exactly the most satisfying weapons to use. Apparently they made them louder, so far I didn't really notice it with the Railgun as much but the disposable shotgun didn't sound as pitiful.

>>376591892
Really? I think the Shotgun is overall higher risk when the Machine Gun and Railgun can decap pretty easily.

>>376592018
Yep, that's pretty spot on.
>>
>>376584381
It's a fucking indie game, tortanic is called tornatic because it was fucking big. You weren't even here when it happened, were you?
>>
>>376592283
Pretty sure the tutorial went over them.

>coin came out

This enables a particular secret in 1-2.
>>
/our Australian boy/ telling it how it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNFzxKPHZ0
>>
>>376592119
>indirect boss fights
The worst
>>
>>376592486
>the retard who rushed out a negative review of prey the day after it came out and then a couple days later released another video saying that people who gave prey negative reviews didn't know what they were talking about
Kind of hard to take him seriously after that, basically him admitting that his reviews of new games are rushed and poorly thought out.
>>
>>376573749
>reload every 3 seconds
Maybe get past zone 1. By then you should have enough perks to reload every 7 seconds.

>>376573374
Dunno. They put way too much effort into their marketing, with the whole four minute "movie" trailer, for it to be simple nostalgia bait. I think it's possible they got a little too lost in their own nostalgia, but I don't think it's just a gimmick to them.

>>376585949
>quake ripoff
It's really not. Mechanically, it's more like Binding of Isaac with actual level design (which you would think would be at odds with the whole procedural generation thing but surprisingly not so much) and Quake 3 movement.

>>376586086
>health is so goddamn rare
You get like 8k+ scrap a level if you pay attention to your surroundings, though, and secret rooms often have +50 shields or health packs, on top of the shops carrying packs of 4-5 bugs that recover 5 health each, or regen mods that give health back as you kill enemies, or a regenerating damage blocker with a charge that activates after some time.

I've actually not had a whole lot of issue moving around like it actually is quake 3. The most basic of mooks attack so slowly that you can actually jump onto their heads and jump back off before they can take a proper swing at you, and the majority of projectile attacks can't track you if you're moving. Given even a small clearance, or a circuit of stairs, it's pretty simple to bait enemies into a position that makes it simple for me to avoid damage and clear things out.

>>376586332
Health isn't actually all that rare. It's just that he's kind of shit at playing the game, somewhat obviously. I can consistently go the first two levels of zone 1 without taking any damage at all unless I do something retarded like grenade a barrel. Even when it comes to the orange blood, bunny hopping makes it so that you don't take any damage from it, as long as you don't linger in it.

The game isn't hard at all once you get used to it.
>>
>>376587252
It almost sort of does. You can buy teleporter parts that let you just skip to certain levels. And if that's not your speed, the bonus game mode, Murderzone, has exactly that. Every time you play, you accumulate more points and unlock additional rooms, tilesets, and perks for later shots.
>>
>>376592926
>which you would think would be at odds with the whole procedural generation thing but surprisingly not so much

It really doesn't feel like that however, a lot of the rooms seem to be designed around having multiple exits but each of them lead to a death end with only one or two going to another room, it almost feels like they originally wanted to go for traditional level design but then cut it out once they realized randomly generating a level would save them the effort of actually designing decent levels.

>and Quake 3 movement.
Movement is not like Quake 3 whatsoever, you got bunnyhopping instead of strafejumping and there isn't even circle jumping.

>it's pretty simple to bait enemies into a position that makes it simple for me to avoid damage and clear things out.
The first zone simply has too many corridors that hinder this, but you can do that on the other zones more easily.

Do agree the game is piss easy.
>>
The positive steam reviews of the game are so pathetic.

>i-its actually okay if you don't judge it by how successfully it pulls off what it's trying to do
No one cares if its a "good rogue-lite", rogue-lites are a dime a dozen and there are far better options.
>>
>>376587132
The procedural generation is actually quite limited in this game, surprisingly. There's clearly not all that many tiles for any particular zone or level - that is to say, Zone 1 Level 1 has a particular pool of tiles it can pull from, the same is true for Zone 1 Level 2, Zone 1 Level 3, and so on. And even within those pools there's a certain expectation of consistency between playthroughs, such as Z1L2 having a Doom E1M1 reference at the beginning and a shop at the end for example, or Z1L3 having rooms full of busted, flickering lights that make it difficult to see what the fuck's going on.

For a roguelike, it has some of the best level design I've seen in the genre. It actually has a progression from level to level, zone to zone, both thematic and design-wise. It's not gonna match up to early Doom or Quake shareware levels, but it doesn't really have to, given that its approach to progression and gameplay is different from those.
>>
>>376593314
>you got bunnyhopping instead of strafejumping
You have both, although the direction you strafejump in doesn't matter, so long as 2 movement keys perpendicular movement keys are held and your mouse is slowly panning.
>>
>>376593553
Just because you have to hold a strafe key to be able to bunnyhop doesn't mean it's strafejumping. It's not strafejumping as the mouse isn't a part in it whatsoever.
>>
>>376593314
>there isn't even circle jumping
???
There was a tile with a grate bridge over a pool of acid, and two... what were they called? Stalkers? Orange dudes coming down it. I jumped off to the side, over the acid, and then curved right back onto the bridge, with extreme ease.

>It really doesn't feel like that however, a lot of the rooms seem to be designed around having multiple exits but each of them lead to a death end with only one or two going to another room
I'm not sure what you mean by this. You mean some doors leading to pockets that don't have additional exits? Because that's true of any game on the market, and especially true of 90's shooters also. They jam additional enemies, powerups, cash, or health in those little pockets.

Frankly I just kinda feel surprised that they've made a procedurally generated game with vertical level design as well as stuff like keys, which might be several tiles away from the doors that activate them, and hidden behind some kind of ambush. There's certainly a lot more going on in this procedural generation than just slapping a few rooms together.
>>
>>376592926
Hello @STRAFEgame, your game STRAFE® was amazing! 10/10 WOULD RECOMMEND! :)
>>
>>376587643
Christ, look at all that nostalgia bait tat
Congratulations, you are the kind of consumer that the current industry is built around, you tasteless cunt
>>
File: 1489323529958.jpg (62KB, 840x544px) Image search: [Google]
1489323529958.jpg
62KB, 840x544px
>its a strafe shill episode
>>
ok so I have made an amazing discovery: this game dramatically improves after you have a few glasses of whiskey.
that is all.
>>
>>376593458
I don't think that's entirely unwarranted though. A lot of people seem to be judging it based on comparisons to 90's shooters in terms of gameplay -- which isn't ENTIRELY unwarranted, but they seem to be doing it way too heavily -- but even a cursory examination reveals that it only lightly borrows from those in terms of gameplay, and far moreso in terms of aesthetic, while actual gameplay reflects roguelikes far more closely, which is fitting because that's exactly what it is.

It's beginning to grow tiresome when people continue to compare literally every single aspect to Quake, when that's mostly an unfair comparison to make.

Not to say the game doesn't have flaws - it has several - but I still feel that too many people are judging it by an improper metric.
>>
>>376593817
You mean, aside from the fact that you need to aim and orient yourself. It's easier than Q3's strafejumping, but that doesn't make it not strafejumping just because it's not as difficult to pull off.
>>
>>376594196
You mean the metric that the game set itself via the marketing campaign?
>>
>>376592486
>doom channel icon
>doom avatar
Yeah, this sure is going to be a fair review for a game that is so little like Doom.
>>
>>376594386
The marketing campaign that advertises its endless changing levels (procedural generation) and "kill 'til you die" gameplay? That marketing campaign?

The marketing campaign that makes it sound nothing like Quake, aside from visually?
>>
>>376581971
explain /v/ then
>>
>>376594529
I mean... I guess it to be more Quake and less Heavy Bullets, based on the marketing and the dev updates on Twitter. honestly that's what it feels like, a Quake skin on Heavy Bullets. and like I said, after a few drinks, I can kind of appreciate that... it's just not what I expected, based on how it presented itself.
>>
>>376580647
>>376581971
Don't they kind of have to not ignore it to understand that it's not constructive in the first place?

Also, not that I've seen this forum in particular, but from my experiences on other game forums, a lot of "criticisms" end up boiling down to "change literally the entire game from the ground up", things which often aren't particularly conducive to providing actual, useful feedback to something.

t. someone who frequently offers feedback for games
>>
>>376594529
lol stop trying to distance strafe from the game its piggy-backing. The (very little) success that strafe has seen is all because of Quake/Doom.

If the marketing had not used nostalgia, strafe would be another Eldritch. What is that you ask? Its a mediocre first person procedural dungeon shooter marketed as what it is.
>>
>>376594730
I dunno man, I was following this game since its first commercial like 2 years ago, and I've understood pretty much from the beginning that it was a roguelike from the terms it used and how it described itself. I don't remember at any point in time being convinced it was going to be a replica of Doom or Quake in any way.

I did admittedly think it'd be more arcadey than it actually ended up being. The campaign's surprisingly short and surprisingly well-structured for something that utilizes procedural generation, and I bought it expecting a game that would actually go on forever until you died or gave up. I was slightly disappointed, but I did enjoy Binding of Isaac back in the day so it didn't bother me too much. I do wish it was slightly longer, though.

Thankfully the Murderzone seems to scratch my itch in terms of replayability, more than the main campaign does. At least for now. Maybe it won't once I get all the playthrough perks.
>>
just got to 3-2 on the burbs and was doing well and got stuck inside a invisible wall right in front of the exit to the "safe room"

holy shit i got mad
also enemies not have any footstep sounds really fucks me over from when they appear from those hidden rooms

also guns sound kinda weak

also that pre order gun is shit
>>
How do you find secret rooms?
shooting at walls?
>>
File: zone 1 shield secret.jpg (2MB, 1280x2291px) Image search: [Google]
zone 1 shield secret.jpg
2MB, 1280x2291px
>>376595149
The preorder gun really is surprisingly shitty. I know they wanted to make it a commentary on how preorder bonuses are dumb and ruin the industry, but I'm still surprised at just how ass it is at actually killing things.

>>376595208
I made an image earlier about the ONE fucking secret I deliberately and purposely found and understood to be a secret in this game. Any other secrets I've come across, I don't think I realized were secrets. Most levels ended with a 0% secret rating, except one other but I honestly don't remember what I might have found.
>>
>>376593908
There is no actual circle jumping in the game

You are talking about monster closets, but there are loads of dead ends with absolutely nothing in them, no monsters spawn there either

>Frankly I just kinda feel surprised that they've made a procedurally generated game with vertical level design as well as stuff like keys
Loads of games have done this before.

>>376594346
Did you ever play Quake 3? Strafejumping in that is completely different from the bunnyhopping you do in Strafe. Again just because you have to hold a strafe key while bunnyhopping to bunnyhop doesn't mean it's actually strafejumping.
>>
>>376595358
In Zone 1 there is also sometimes a busted door that says level 2 on it, if you throw a barrel at it it will open up and have an easter egg weapon it (for example a weapon from Shadow Warrior, the Devil Dagger or the Superhot shotgun which behave like they do in their respective game)
>>
>>376592881
I dunno, neither his review nor follow up contradict each other, more like he expands on some the issues he talked about. Most of the follow up is him repeating the same things he said in the review, but differently. He's okay with the game, he even said that Prey does most of the stuff very good in the original review
>>
seriously I'm like three drinks in now and kind of enjoying the heck out of this, exclusively with the shotgun tho. if I wasn't poor af atm I might totally buy this to get the patch (and presumably future patches as they scramble to fix obvious bugs the users find lol).

honestly not a terrible game but a weird game, because of the marketing. like I said several posts up, indie marketing is really fuckin weird. they want to sell you on a specific "experience", and if they fail on that experience (i.e. it's not procedural Quake with light roguelike elements), it falls completely flat for you.

I honestly wonder the age of the devs and whether or not they actually played the games they're aping from "back in the day". it's almost like they were seven years old and saw their cousin playing Quake at the time, and were like duuuuuuuuuuude holy shit this is way more awesome than my SNES games back home... and are now recreating what they imagined that game to be, instead of what it actually was, or something.

a very strange game overall.
>>
File: 3ab.png (192KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
3ab.png
192KB, 512x341px
>there's a gender slider
>but it's actually only male and female, with varying levels of youthfulness

>>376595427
The only difference in Quake 3 is that you actually want to turn your mouse as you're landing and stepping off again. That isn't "completely different", that's just an added layer of obtuseness.

Also, no monster closets are when a door opens up inside of a tile, I'm talking about smaller pocket tiles that have some monsters in but also something else worthwhile, like a gunperk or health or a scrapchest.
>>
>>376595582
dude alcohol lmao
>>
>(i.e. it's not procedural Quake with light roguelike elements)

I definitely would feel it is better described as "it's binding of isaac with light quake elements".
>>
>>376595762
Forgot my link, somehow. >>376595582
>>
>>376595762
That would be an insult to the binding of issac
>>
>>376573374
What are the chances none of the devs actually played games in 1996? This seems like one of those games that pulls you in but does so many amateur mistakes that you're left quickly disappointed.
>>
>>376590675
It's a good game, really
>>
>>376595675
>that's just an added layer of obtuseness.
If it's not strafejumping then how is it strafejumping? It has nothing to do with strafejumping other than the fact you hold the strafe keys (and not even in the direction you going to either, just have to hold one of them). It's literally just bunnyhopping with "an added layer of obtuseness"

It's fucking disgusting how you even think the movement comes close to how you move in Quake 3 and you should do your research instead of shitting out words about something you have no idea about.

>I'm talking about smaller pocket tiles that have some monsters in but also something else worthwhile, like a gunperk or health or a scrapchest.
And i'm talking about the fact that there is nothing there unless it's connected to another room, which they often aren't. It's just there because it's too much effort to change the room depending on which entrances and exits it has.
>>
>>376580647
Oh fuck. I can already see the fucking meltdown this dev will have give or take a few months.
>>
File: strafe.png (145KB, 899x981px) Image search: [Google]
strafe.png
145KB, 899x981px
>>376594875
Forgot pic for examples
>>
>>376595845
I don't think it is. Quake's bosses weren't particularly good, but Binding of Isaac's were. Strafe clearly took more inspiration from Quake on that level.

Binding of Isaac had pure dogshit in terms of level design. It's just a bunch of rooms with random pits, rocks, and actually very literal dogshit, with random enemies strewn about. Quake had generally pretty good level design. Strafe's level design isn't nearly as good as Quake's, but it's not as bad as Isaac's, either.

The shops, the scrap benches, the pills that enhance some part of your primary weapon's projectiles, the benches that have you sacrifice some aspect of your weapon's functionality to swap out for something different... it's all very Binding of Isaac to me, far more than it is Quake.
>>
>>376595945
Are you fucking serious? Do you legitimately believe the added layer of slightly twisting your mouse is all it takes to qualify or disqualify something for strafejumping?

Not, you know, the actual strafing that's involved in its actual fucking name?

Jesus fucking christ, you come off as an elitist when you say shit like that. You really do. You don't get the speed boost from just bunny hopping. Well, you get a slight one, but it only really kicks in once you start strafing. And, you know what, the slight twist of the mouse actually does make it slightly faster, or at the very least will let you get a big burst of speed on your first jump instead of having to do multiple.

>>376596063
I'm not entirely sure that's the dev. Feels more like a moderator to me.
>>
>>376595762
>>376595829
no seriously it's Heavy Bullets but with light Quake elements and aesthetics. that is the most honest description of the game I've been able to come up with. if they had marketed it as such (and halved or quartered the price, I'm pretty sure I got Heavy Bullets for like five bucks), you wouldn't see people raging about how the movement isn't exactly like Quake, and the shooting isn't Quake-level amazing.

it would be like if Rogue Legacy had an art style reminiscent of Super Mario World, and presented and sold itself as a "1991 platformer but roguelike tho" ...and then had nothing to do with Super Mario World, and didn't play almost anything like it (but had a Goomba-like enemy and something that vaguely functionally resembled the cape). it doesn't mean it's a *bad* game, it just means it sold itself as something that it wasn't.
>>
File: 20170511164309_1.jpg (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170511164309_1.jpg
243KB, 1920x1080px
>>376595358
If you kill 9 rats in Z3M1, in the following level a passageway will open up where a wizard will shrink down to the size of a toy car and you need to clear a bedroom full of rats.
>>
>>376596298
I don't call how much you hate the precise mouse movement and the actual affect of pressing the strafe key has on your movement, but it's not fucking quake 3 movement and it's not fucking strafejumping.

It's bunnyhopping that requires you to hold one of the strafe keys, it has nothing to do with strafejumping other than the fact you are holding one of the strafe keys for no reason.

>but it only really kicks in once you start strafing.
You aren't actually strafing, you are just bunnyhopping while holding a strafe key.
>>
>>376596368
oh shit pls tell me he identifies himself as the Levelord
>>
>>376573374

Pretty much.

Why would anyone bother playing a game that's intentionally made to look and play outdated, when shooters from 1996 which were classics of their era still run perfectly fine on the PC?

Rather than making some crappy procedurally generated game, they should have just gone back and updated a bunch of old shooters to support modern resolutions and so on.
>>
>>376596368
Any tips on how to find and kill the critters in each zone? From the hidden achievements it seems like every zone has one of these secrets.
>>
>>376596123
One, you're arguing about something very different than I am. You're talking about the marketing utilizing the 1996 aesthetic and utilizing nostalgia. I'm not going to contest that. That's a losing battle. What I am arguing is that a lot of people seem to have not bothered to look any deeper than the aesthetic, and the end result is that they are judging it based on their own biases and misunderstandings.

Hell, that image itself is proof that the game is not trying to pass itself off as an actual replica of Doom/Quake. Romero himself calls it procedural and "design-inspired".

Romero.
John Romero.

The guy who designed Doom's levels. He calls it procedural, and specifically calls it inspired, rather than, say, a "return to form".
>>
>>376596581
I'm 99% sure those are fake quotes.
>>
>>376596426
>Why would anyone bother playing a game that's intentionally made to look and play outdated, when shooters from 1996 which were classics of their era still run perfectly fine on the PC?
>Rather than making some crappy procedurally generated game, they should have just gone back and updated a bunch of old shooters to support modern resolutions and so on.
That's actually a good point.
>>
>>376596298
Even if its just a mod, they can't just do whatever they want. If the devs were against it, they'd have gotten rid of him as soon as they saw a section just for criticism.

My guess is this is going to be one of those cases where the devs never received any sort of harsher criticism in their lives before so they instantly assume they're right and everyone is wrong.
>>
>>376596581
So its the audience's fault for misinterpreting the marketing into a quake clone but with procedural elements rather than a generic procedural shooter with a retro theme?

The marketing certainly push for the former. And it is in my opinion also what the devs set out to do unsuccessfully. The latter is only used now as damage control.
>>
>>376596667
I'm 99% sure they're not. the indie dev scene is fucking weird.

>>376596581
having interacted with a few prominent individuals in the indie dev scene directly, I truly wonder what makes this many people shill for games like this. I mean, it's not the worst game in the world, but it's definitely not the best. do the people who shill for it actually think it's cool, and are just shilling out of the kindness of their hearts, for "the next generation of game devs"? or is there something more to it?

idk, I just know firsthand that the prominent indie dev scene is, for whatever reason, circlejerky and self-important as all hell.

>>376596826
I think the marketing was dishonest, but that doesn't mean the result is a bad game; it just means they set the parameters (and price!!) that they should be judged by, quite poorly. if this was a ten dollar game with no marketing, I'd consider it a kind of neat indie gem to be honest
>>
>>376596667
The Romero is actually true. Not going to bother trying to find evidence for the other ones.
>>
>>376572862
Played it at PAX. Game was decent in what they were trying for.

The negative reviews on steam seem to have completely misunderstood what the game was. I liken this type of idiocy to going into a game like COD expecting teamwork, or even more extreme, thinking the next COD will be a hack n slash. Just read all of the reviews with thumbs down, not a single person understood what they were buying.
>>
>>376596581
>a lot of people seem to have not bothered to look any deeper than the aesthetic
No, that's the problem, people did look deeper, and it's completely mediocre. Aesthetic is the only thing it has going for it.
>>
>>376596419
First off, we're both wrong. Bunnyhopping specifically refers to a crouching position.

Second off, there's no difference, you fucking mongoloid! Strafejumping is and always has been just jumping while holding a strafe key! It's in the actual fucking name. Hell, Wikipedia agrees, as much as it isn't a particularly reliable source.

"1. The player presses the forward key, preparing to make the first jump.
2. While releasing the forward key, the player jumps, and pressing either the move left or the move right key (ergo the strafe in the term, strafe-jumping). The strafe and jump keys should be pressed at the same time, and the jump key immediately released."

The mouse movement isn't absolutely required to qualify it as strafe-jumping. Merely to achieve a maximum speed/acceleration. Just because that mechanic has been minimized in this entry doesn't mean it's suddenly no longer strafe-jumping.

>but it's not fucking quake 3 movement
But it IS fucking quake 3 movement, but with more air control and not as strongly gated behind additional actions. "But" being the important qualifier here.
>>
>>376596920
I think its a case of both circlejerk and the aesthetics making people belief it was going to be different than what we got. I haven't checked but its possible that Dusk actually has a similar "indie backing" by going with the Doom/Blood inspired look and gameplay. At least that it's more a return to form and not this weird hybrid.
Which is weird since they're marketing is all 1996! but doesn't actually feel like anything from 1996.
>>
>>376596426
What you wrote is fucking dumb.

1. Those features already exist in mods and sourceports.
2. They don't have the rights to Doom/Quake so it's not like they can actually, officially publish/develop Doom/Quake with the intent of making money on it.
3. That'd be lazy as fuck, even if they did. Besides, everyone's already played those a million times, is making something new really so sinful just because they didn't make an exact replica of those games?
>>
>>376597106
>it's strafe jumping
>but it's different from quake 3 movement
>so it's quake 3 movement
It's not quake 3 movement if it isn't quake 3 movement, it's something completely different as it neither resembles quake 3 or even pro mode either.
>>
>>376587295
>Risk of Rain
No procedural generation going on.
>>
>>376597106
X = Quake movement system
Y = Strafe movement system
X is X
Y is X but Z
Therefore Y is not X

Good job, you literally countered your own argument
>>
File: file.png (624KB, 969x939px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
624KB, 969x939px
btw, and this is crucial: the qt from the tutorial has an instagram https://www.instagram.com/hilaryvetter/
>>
>>376597362
I didn't find her cute at all. She looks like a mom and wore inappropriate stuff imo.
>>
The movement is fine
The base guns need a feedback tweak
The overall concept needs LOTS of tweaks though

Like more options for the player to survive like choosing some sidearms, give you either more health or lessen the Shield Powerup costs, and make the fucking acid dissapear in time because holy shit

Some graphical tweaks and highlights would be very good thing to add.
>>
>>376597265

1. Maybe they should stop making shit games and make good mods and source ports then.

2. There's many other games released in the 90s which are pretty similar, a bundle of the lesser known ones might do well.

3. Because what they made is shit, and making something that's been done, but is at least okay is better than making some shitty procedurally generated shooter.
>>
>>376597037
Regardless of the game's actual quality, I'm arguing that they're making a mistake from Step 1 by comparing it so directly to those games based on its aesthetic, instead of comparing it to other examples of its actual genre. Even if they levy out legitimate criticisms, ultimately, if they are presented in a light of "it's not Quake", then I am of the opinion that they ought to be invalidated and start over from fucking scratch.

>>376596826
I'd say it is partly the audience's fault, yes. But I'd also say that publications possibly also probably had a role in spreading that misconception far more deeply than it would have achieved on its own.

There is a third option. That the marketing was trying to say that it could stand among those other games, rather than being either a clone or a generic shooter. Whether that actually achieved the right to stand among those other games is an entirely different argument, and certainly one I wouldn't partake in.
>>
>>376596368
Cool thing

Except nobody fucking gets past Level 3 because either you get chipped to death or just get bored and quit aboard the Icarus.
>>
>>376597564
>and make the fucking acid dissapear in time because holy shit
Protip: you can shoot corpses to cover the acid back over with blood, you can also get a raincoat that makes you immune to acid damage

It also doesn't hurt you if you strafejump over it
>>
>>376597269
What the fuck are you even saying anymore?

"Quake 3 movement, but with additional qualifiers" = "Not EXACTLY quake 3 movement"

It's the same fucking statement. The end sentiment is that it is closer to quake 3 movement than not, where not = generic shooter movement.

>>376597354
How's a scale, then.
0 = generic shooter
1 = quake 3
Strafe = 0.92

It's close enough to get the fucking idea across. You're picking nits.
>>
>>376597932
They took strafe jumping and removed half of it's mechanics.
>>
>>376597564
I just think the whole idea of "oh cool I picked up a new gun, too bad I only get one mag with it" to be extremely weird. in traditional roguelikes, when you pick up a wand or a bomb-ass weapon, you're like hell yes, I got the drop I wanted, this is rad. in a traditional FPS (Doom, Quake, Half-Life, DOOM (2016)), when you get a new gun, you're like oh shit, I just got a new gun, maybe I won't always have ammo for it, but when I do, I'll be sure to put it to use in a tactical manner.

as it is, STRAFE is like a traditional roguelike, where you only have one weapon, and you can buff it over time, and you can get "wands" with limited ammo. also, your primary weapon has ammo, and when you run out, you're kinda boned.

it's a really weird combo—I can't help but wonder if the game wouldn't've been better with infinite ammo for your primary gun (with reloading still), but more disposable secondaries, or something.

alternatively, just go the traditional route: no disposable weapons, let you carry as many weapons as you want at a time, scatter weapons throughout the various levels (which could add interesting gameplay, especially if some are hidden), and play with per-type ammo scarcity to create interesting situations.

as it is, the current system isn't *bad*, it's just weird. plus, I want to press number keys to change weapons, goddammit.
>>
>>376597564
I was gonna mention acid stuff but the other anon already covered all of that.

As for "give you either more health or lessen the shield powerup costs", you can get additional health by overfilling your health by taking more food when you don't need it from the dispensers. Turning taking 5 food at 100 health will add +10 maximum health. This makes shields valuable for giving you those extra opportunities, although it is very much a "reward the skilled, hard to kill player by making him even harder to kill" mechanic. Personally I tend to leave food stations until the end of the level so I can recover all my health before the next and THEN get overfilled.

The shopkeep will frequently sell a box of health bugs that you can squash in your hands for 5 health each. If you don't like his prices, just shoot him in the head and kill the turrets that pop out to retaliate, then jack all his shit. He can also sell a health regen mod that will set a cap, and then allow you to regain +1 health for each enemy killed up to that cap.

The sidearms are your right click altfire. It becomes more reliable as gun perks give you more ammunition so you don't have to reload before using it as often.

The secrets are a pain in the ass to find though, even though they often provide extra health/shields.
>>
>>376598093
>also, your primary weapon has ammo, and when you run out, you're kinda boned.
I've actually never managed to run out of ammo. Even doing a playstyle of firing the flak grenade from the shotgun only, and immediately reloading to do it again, I often found ammo well before I ran out and ended up with more than I started with.

I have legitimately never needed to buy ammo from the scrap bench.
>>
>>376598006
The mechanics are still there, just minimized to make it easier.
>>
>>376597585
1. That doesn't make money and it doesn't exercise creative freedom
2. That doesn't exercise creative freedom
3. Just because you don't like it and have fallen for the "HATE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING PROCEDURAL" meme doesn't mean it's shit. Also, what person in the world who wants to make a new game, is going to just make the same fucking game someone already else did better?

And you wonder why people who play games get called entitled.
>>
>>376598404
Sure, but that means it's not quake 3 movement anymore.
>>
>>376598590
Nobody said it was 1:1 quake 3 movement, the argument was that it's strafejumping
>>
>>376598657
>the argument was that it's strafejumping
No it started out with you saying that the game had Quake 3 movement. It doesn't.
>>
>>376598590
No, it is, it's just not exact.

Food analogy time. It's like saying the star-shaped peppermint candy isn't peppermint candy because it isn't oval and doesn't have green and white stripes, despite tasting like peppermint candy and having the consistency of peppermint candy.

It's still fucking peppermint candy, even if it's a different brand of peppermint candy.
>>
>>376598657
>but it's not fucking quake 3 movement
But it IS fucking quake 3 movement, but with more air control and not as strongly gated behind additional actions. "But" being the important qualifier here.

This got to be some olympic level backpedalling.
>>
>>376598739
You're nitpicking. Anyone else could pick up that it doesn't need to be EXACTLY 100% ONE-TO-ONE quake 3 movement to be called quake 3 movement. Humanity classifies things by using umbrella terms to get the idea across.
>>
There is no reason not to use the Railgun as your main weapon.
>>
>>376573749
its le nostalgia but with fake nostalgia. like vaporwave
>>
Just found out that you can go unnarmed and the clamp tool appears on the first body for you to go berserk on the enemies in melee.

Also the coin on that body is to pay the arcade machine that appears on the second level of Wolfenstein parody.
>>
File: 1471544210651.jpg (10KB, 170x170px) Image search: [Google]
1471544210651.jpg
10KB, 170x170px
>>376579513
>rogue-like
>>
>>376598803
No, someone else just joined my side of the argument, making it a little confusing.

>>376598825
Shit fire rate until you jam a LOT of mods on, lackluster starting secondary fire (whereas both smg and shotty have decent and great secondary fires respectively). Most mods aren't particularly well-suited to crowds, more reliance on throwaways once you get into a jam.

I do enjoy the orbital blast-fuzor and the impulse shield secondary though.
>>
>>376598995
The spinfusor upgrade is really good to.
Carried my ass to zone 3 with no difficulty.
>>
>>376598836
I was pretty sure the coin was for the machine at the start of zone 2 that lets you pick a pill, since I'm relatively sure I didn't lose the coin from playing Luftenstein.

I was wondering where you find the clamp, though. I just fucking punched people and the game called me a legendary badass for it.

I tweeted the dev a couple days ago about the possibility of using throwaways that were out of ammo to bat projectiles back at enemies, and they said no, you couldn't do that, but that the wrench could.
>>
>>376598819
Subjectivist fallacy

http://www.logicalfallacies.info/presumption/subjectivist/
>>
>>376599198
Did you really, REALLY
R E A L L Y
E
A
L
L
Y

need me to add "like" or "similar to" to the beginning of my statement to get the idea across? It's obviously not exactly quake 3 movement, but it's close enough that anyone you tell that to is going to get the idea.

You're basically arguing that Gala isn't anything like Granny Smith at all, whereas I am just pointing out that they're both apples, as opposed to one being a pear or, god forbid, an orange.
>>
The movement is as Quake as it can get. Strafejumping makes you go real fast.

Yet I can't get over the fact that I feel bored of the Shotgun and the Machinegun. The Railgun SUCKS and it's not fun visually nor gratifying and... sucks dicks compared to the other two.

But the fact that i'm restricted to these guns in all my runs is what it's killing me out of boredom. I like the weapons you find, but they're rare and can't be refilled. There's not much options to play with and the weapon mods are also rare as fuck. Health is at all times rare too even with the spawn rate fix, and no reliable ways to regain it makes the game more of an attrition gameplay than a exploring survival: Every hit you take is almost irreversible and the acid spitter things can combo you sometimes for MASSIVE damage in a blink of an eye, fucking a good momentum in seconds without means to recover.

Scarp is kinda useless as money too: There's plenty of ammo for your main weapon, and the only thing that it's good for is to buy shield, so there's no real economy here. The vendor that is on the end of LVL2 has an exchanger of scrap for credits but the items are all meh to be honest

>Oh I can pull barrels with telekinesis
>Yet I need health
>I can place a shitty mine on the ground
>But I seriously need health
>Oh I can buy some Cricket creature things that can be used as shit weapons or squashed for 5 health each, which is almost nothing
>But I think it's going to be this because I seriously need health
>Anti-acid Raincoat, I guess it's fine, but the price is too high for more than 1 item on the run and... eh
>Arrive at lvl3 or maybe 4
>Die because lack of options

The only true, veritable option here is to STRAFE. STRAFE or not to STRAFE.
>>
>>376599198
>>376599360
Also you're misusing that. I'm not saying anything about opinions or perspectives. Rather, my claim was that you're being unnecessarily exact.
>>
>>376572862
Yup, I still can't believe how they advertised a game as if it came from 1996 yet it's nothing like a game from back then other than some references and the fact it tries to look like Quake 2. Also the fact that the game is horribly optimized, for some reason it just decides to stutter and nearly freeze for me at the end of each level and during levels the framerate will randomly stutter all over the place.
>>
>>376594605
/v/ criticizes gaming & its industry, nobody in the world listens, normies eat shit up, industry further deviates from ideal, /v/'s criticizing gets spergier & assplodes.
>>
>>376599483
Sorry, it's actually appeal to popularity in the one I quoted, it's subjectivist fallacy in your earlier argument.

>>376597932
>>
File: 1429635085064.jpg (40KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1429635085064.jpg
40KB, 500x375px
>>376580115
>ah lol
Go back to fucking Reddit
>>
>>376599474
>or squashed 5 health each, which is almost nothing
>but I need health
Are you serious? You're not going to take the 4-5 pack of health bugs that results in 20-25 health when you need health, and are just gonna complain more?

Shields should be taking most of the damage. Unless you're extra super special shit at the game, you should not be taking more damage than can be healed up by 2-3 packs at a station per level. Are you blowing up barrels in your face?

Also the items he offers change each run. My first serious run had a regen mod that capped at 80 health, and made it so every enemy killed healed me by +1. Very handy. He can also sell a damage deflector that takes like 10-15 seconds to charge, but will completely absorb one hit, good for the odd wayward fuckup.
>>
>>376580115
>how did they not literally just look at the quake 3 source code, recreate the movement code in Unity, and tweak it from there? jfc

The movement is Quake as fuck
>>
File: 1493159998832.jpg (270KB, 1249x1027px) Image search: [Google]
1493159998832.jpg
270KB, 1249x1027px
>>376594605
It's full of angry assholes who have probably never played a game in their life.
>>
>>376599671
What specifically there was a subjectivist fallacy? The subjectivist fallacy HINGES on me saying that it's a matter of perspective or opinion, neither of which I have done. Again, my claim was to my opponent being more exact than was necessary, which is altogether different from merely handwaving an argument aside because it could be construed as a subjective matter.
>>
>>376581971
What happened to Gaben the wise?
>>
>>376599804
Strafe is 0.92 and that 0.92 is pretty much 1
>>
>>376599671
>that one faggot that's out of arguments and starts namedropping fallacies like they're going out of style
>>
>>376599884
That's not subjectivist fallacy, though. I don't know if there's a proper term for it, but I'd call it umbrella equivalency - when something is so similar to something else, that calling it that something else isn't entirely wrong, even if it isn't entirely correct either.
>>
>>376592119
is this really what the guns sound like?
>>
>>376599853
He got old and tired.

>>376592119
Honestly I'd argue Zone 2 is the worst of the bunch. I had no trouble finding room to strafe or jump or even both at the same time in Zone 1, but Zone 2 had so many sidepaths and cliffs and pillars blocking view and so many odd angles, on top of an EXTREMELY bland and samey aesthetic, that it made navigating it boring as fuck, and even sometimes even a little confusing.
>>
>>376599895
I even dropped a link for retards like you
>>
>the variety of enemy types in this game is more embarrassing than fucking borderlands
>>
Was watchin the Pre Rec stream last night for a few minutes just to see if Rich Evans heard the news about his favorite game being put on steam.

Jack was playin this.

This game looks dreadfully boring.

It looks like a DS game, both graphically, and gameplay wise. I got flashbacks to Metroid Prime Hunters seeing this game honestly with how it looks and the gunplay, which is boring as hell.
>>
>>376592373
Or it can be saved for a perk in 2-1.

>>376592283
Yes, gun perks are permanent upgrades. Well, as permanent as the run is. They're a bit like pills in Binding of Isaac, modifying your tears to be stronger, faster, homing, etc. In this case, they give you more damage, more ammo, faster fire rate, and better accuracy.

>>376592018
>>376592302
I wasn't aware there was a health perk. I'm pretty sure more health comes from filling the red bars with more food when you're at 100 health already.
>>
>>376586769
Nice technohipster music.
>>
>>376600156
Babbling about fallacies has never in the history of arguments improved a discussion
All it does is shift it over to the good old 'nu-uh that's not x fallacy it's actually y but not really also' senseless sidetracking, see >>376599804
>>376599969

Just don't respond if your only resort is fallacies
>>
>>376598548

> Make a bad game.
> YOU DON'T LIKE IT SO YOU'RE ENTITLED.

Kek. 10/10 Strafedev.
>>
>>376572862

Damn gggmanlives tore this to pieces.
>>
>>376600194
Really? I thought it was decent for a 12-level game.

>Horde fuckers, with cleaver and armoured variants
>Stalkers, which run fast but shoot from afar
>Turrets, which close in and spam
>Wallhuggers, which like to jump down on your head from above
>Acid Spores, emitted from vents in zone 1, and colonies in zone 2
>tanky rock asshole that hides as part of the scenery until he leaps up and ground pounds, aoe-ing your ass for like 40 damage
>tanky zergling dicks that like to leap around
>acid spore zombies that explode into acid when killed
>rocket spider tank fucks
>snipers
>spread shots
>advanced acid spore zombies that spew streams of the shit

I feel like there's one or two I'm missing.
>>
>>376600440
Nah, pointing them out was my response when your only resort are fallacies.

Anyways y'all can throw more shit at each other. I had my share of laughs in this thread.
>>
>>376600498
>new game comes out
>IT'S SHIT AND SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE

I'm pretty sure this is some twice removed cousin of

>make new game in a previously-existing franchise
>it's not exactly the same so it's shit

If it were literally and exactly Quake, we'd have assholes in here wondering why they didn't do their own thing instead of just aping another game wholesale. Literally no way to win.
>>
File: C-RkRO_WAAAHZ6h[1].jpg (39KB, 616x353px) Image search: [Google]
C-RkRO_WAAAHZ6h[1].jpg
39KB, 616x353px
Should I just buy this instead?
>>
>twitchfaggot bait

WOAH SHIT
>>
>>376600738
Maybe look up reviews and first impressions and descriptions of what the game is and see if you like it.
>>
File: [delete this in braps].jpg (17KB, 450x335px) Image search: [Google]
[delete this in braps].jpg
17KB, 450x335px
>>376590263
>side project of another indie game studio working on the game Spire
>spire
>another first person randomly generated roguelike FPS
>>
Oh wait this is an actual new game? I saw Devolver and thought it was an updated port for some reason.
>>
>>376600738
The gun visual and sound feedback is also shit (enemies do get hitstunned, however) but the balancing is actually there and the variety is excellent. It also controls really fluidly, I like it personally.

Oh, and the devs are not whiny cunts and actually listen to the feedback with regular patching and roadmap plans.
>>
File: Untitled.png (87KB, 684x760px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
87KB, 684x760px
What is this shit
>>
>>376601408
Srafe devs aint whiny cunts to.

Atleast they are planning to keep patching the game,this isn't chucklefish levels of fuckery.
>>
>>376601526
a smart move, goyim.
Doge holders will be millionaires by the end of 2017
>>
>>376600738
Why people waste money on this shit games? Literall paying for shovelware.
>>
File: Strafe.png (697B, 84x83px) Image search: [Google]
Strafe.png
697B, 84x83px
>>376600728

It's shit.
>>
>>376579392
Is this devils daggers hand?
>>
>>376603113
That seems pretty high for the okind of shit i've seen.
>>
>>376603113
a 7,1out of a 10 its not that bad actually.
>>
>>376583749
omg that aim
>>
>>376603571
In video games ratings that's basically 0/10; unplayable trash.
>>
>>376583749
>make a PC shooter that requires aim
>put it on PS4 without any thought behind if it actually works on a controller
lol
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 2309x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 2309x1037px
>>376601526
There is Enter The Gungeon strings in this game's files lol
>>
>>376603913
Looking at the hidden achievements, there seems to be a Enter the gungeon easteregg/hidden level in the game. Haven't found it yet though.
>>
>>376603913
>tfw beat the game but cant get the robot archievement

AAAAA
>>
File: Steam_2017-05-11_13-34-23.png (20KB, 370x167px) Image search: [Google]
Steam_2017-05-11_13-34-23.png
20KB, 370x167px
>>376604082
>tfw
>>
>>376572862
Not good as roguelike because barely any progression between runs

Not good as FPS because stupid enemies with no varietyand gunplay sucks.

Elements of rogue and fps parts actively work against each other.

Not good as Retro because it manages to look worse than games from actual '96 (Quake, Chasm) due to lack of defined art style that is mandatory for low-fi to look good.

Due to being on Unity it runs like shit on many systems that can handle much more complex modern games (also uses fucking default Unity weaponsway you see in every assetflip ever)

So it's overall failure on every account on the fundamental level that can not be patched.

>>376593314
>>376593553
Bunnyhopping works way differently from Quake because in Quake it was due to unintended quirk of movement calculations so you had to combine r40 and r50 jumps with turning and twisting to increase momentum (watch jumpmaze runs). In Strafe it's a pre-programmed mechanic that increases your speed up to certain value if you spam r40s - there is no intricacy or techinque to it.
>>
>>376572862
Only true 90's kids can appreciate this game!
>>
>>376596298
BH was called that because you have to r40 in different directions and do turns at the same time, resulting in zig-zaggy movement pattern, characteristical of bunnies, and you had to keep jumping to keep momentum, while your maneuvrability was restricted in a way that had you pre-plan your movement several steps forward, while also adapting to what your opponents do.

That shit required skill, and that is why it was cool.

In Strafe it's just spam and no skill required - you dont even loose maneuvrability and can hop in circles with no effort.

Even Painkiller (the first one, not remake) hopping was more intricate than this, even when it was simplified compared to Quake.
>>
>>376605140
80's kid here.

It's a blatant indieshit with all characteristics of indieshit, that tried to cash in on nostalgia, and managed to gather enough hipster following that pretend to get nostalgic over things they had 0 experience in back in the day.
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.