[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LINEAR GAMES >when you die, you start way back at a checkpoint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

LINEAR GAMES

>when you die, you start way back at a checkpoint
Gets tiring after a while because you're repeating the same thing.

>see thing you want to explore further
You can't. You have to follow the funnel.

OPEN WORLD GAMES

>when you die, you start way back at a checkpoint
Not as tiring because the way there can now be different.

>see thing you want to explore further
Go for it. It's up to you how you prioritize your objectives.

There you go /v/, your very own insider's guide into why open world games, when done right, are an inherently superior design.
>>
File: 42t538376432234297faa292a1e23b.jpg (86KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
42t538376432234297faa292a1e23b.jpg
86KB, 421x421px
>/v/ was BTFO so hard they can't even respond
lol
>>
>>376564962
This is some desperate bait
>>
>>376564962
>>
>>376566367
I don't make threads for my health, anon. I do recognize the potential, and in fact the desirability of having people respond, when I write a post, and make no secret of this.
>>
>>376564962
The "open world" in most open world games is a glorified stage select screen. The actual dungeons/areas you progress the story in are usually highly linear.
>>
15 hour linear game
>dedicated level design to make each encounter different and gradually escalate the difficulty

15 hour open world game
>Half assed barren spaces that you have to retread over and over
There is not a single open world game that matches GTA's level of open world detail. Rockstar is the only company that should be allowed to make open world games, every franchise that went open world (Mirror's Edge, Metal Gear, Ass Creed compared to Prince of Persia, etc)

Fuck you
>>
>>376567010
>*every franchise that went open world was worse off
Fixed, sorry.
>>
Linear games inherently provide a higher quality experience. It's simply by the merit that for every scrap of effort put into an Linear game, an OPen World game needs to spread out in every single direction, meaning that either you're going to wind up with a lot of copying and pasting, which is just lazy garbage which becomes boring extremely quickly, or you wind up with a product that is overtaxed trying to make each route seem interesting, but overall they start to blend together because each one of them is constantly competing with each other for the player's attention, rather than simply working in tandem one at a time. Alternatively, none of them are particularly interesting other than how they each can help you with your linear goal, in which case the open world didn't matter.
>>
>>376564962
>when done right
That's the problem.

They rarely are.
>>
>>376564962
>>>when you die, you start way back at a checkpoint

So don't die.
>>
File: 1417229569831.jpg (16KB, 304x408px) Image search: [Google]
1417229569831.jpg
16KB, 304x408px
>Falling for the Linear or Open World meme when you can have Semi-Linear and get the best of both worlds by having tight, deliberate level design with multiple interconnected paths and areas that can be visited in varying orders, either by design or through clever sequence breaking.
>>
>>376567840
We call those games easy and we find them boring around here.
>>
>>376568441
No, reddit, we call you casual and we find it would be best if you left.
>>
>>376564962
Open world is not the same as sandbox. People bitching about open world games are really bitching about sandbox games. An example of a non sandbox open world game is Gothic
>>
>>376568734
>dying makes you casual
No, faggot, giving up does. Everyone who's good now died at one time.
>>
>>376569132
>getting hit
>>
>>376568982
Gothic is insanely boring and I am beyond tired of you faggots making your bait threads every single day without exception. Fuck you.
>>
>>376569613
pleb
>>
>>376569364
>getting seen by the enemy at all
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.