[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did it all go so terribly right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

File: Blizzard-logo.jpg (943KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Blizzard-logo.jpg
943KB, 1920x1080px
Where did it all go so terribly right?
>>
Overwatch probably judging by how the WoW community says WoW is dying
>>
>>376553895
i still fucking wonder the chances of getting a girlfriend in WoW
maybe it's just false redditor flagging and making up stories to make themselves feel better
>>
>>376553895
Being the most retard friendly company, if someone you know is playing a blizzard game made post 2004 you know he has an IQ of 80.
>>
>>376554303
is that why elon musk plays overwatch and you spent the day applying for a greeter job at wal mart?
>>
>>376553895
Blizzard delivers very well polished games as the rest of the industry rushes out broken pieces of shit. Their amazing marketing helps.
>>376554303
So about 30 million people have an IQ of 80?
>>
>>376554303

I always wonder about people who make statements like this. What games do you play that require a genius level IQ to succeed at?

I'm begging you to name some MOBA or FPS.
>>
>>376553895
>transitioning to a console first dev
>using single-platform solutions that lock them to Windows
>management actively unfriendly to pursuing new markets
>as well as players who had been customers for decades

It doesn't seem like they're on a very healthy path to me.
>>
>>376553895
They realized WoW was on the decline so they scrambled together and pooled their marginal income to make a big game in almost every genre.
>>
>>376555829
Making billions every quarter seems pretty healthy to me.
>>
>>376555621
Lineage 2
>>
File: 793899-kotick3.jpg (52KB, 478x415px) Image search: [Google]
793899-kotick3.jpg
52KB, 478x415px
>>376553895

The merge
>>
>>376554043
All MMOs are dying and their communities say so, except ff14, but it's actually dying, each week i see fewer active players despite the claims.
>>
>>376555936
For how much longer if they drive off their customer base and don't look for new ones?
Their current business model is about to run into the brick wall that is Windows 10 S, and unlike other companies they have no Plan B and have actually increased their dependence on Microsoft.
>>
>>376554043
desu even at the pace it's losing people, it'll still be financially viable in 10 years.
>>
>>376556424
might have something to do with the fact that all MMOs are currently shit
>>
>>376556432
I don't see them driving off their customer base when sales are consistent. Legion sold just as many copies as WoD.
How big of a group of people do you think Blizzard has actually driven away? As opposed to just very vocal people who still play their games.

Money talks, and money says nobody's really left.
>>
>>376556481
MMOs were never good. It was the communities that made the games.
>>
>>376555621
neets or underage kids who want to feel superior when they have nothing to show in real life.
>>
>>376556237
^^^^
>>
They made a shitty game that no one cared about, so they just threw some random people to work on it that actually cared about the blizzard properties.
HotS is blizzards current best game by a longshot.
>>
>>376556581
Most of that market is going to dry up over the next few years as Blizzard becomes unable to sell software to Windows users.
Unlike Valve who has invested in next-gen portable graphics with Vulkan Blizzard's most recent game was actually a step backwards moving to D3D11 from the technically superior OpenGL.
>>
>>376556713
This. Vanilla WoW was a broken piece of shit, and it was fun because it was broken. Going outside the map, leading elite mobs to newbie zones, the impossible to kill Dragons guarding unfinished zones.

The game itself was shit.
>>
>>376556881
I somehow get the feeling they'll be fine. This is similar to how people have been saying Nintendo is doomed for years. Blizzard has the dough to keep themselves afloat.
>>
>>376556713
I enjoy lk/cata pvp a lot more than everything that came afterwards
>>
File: 1482377339523.png (288KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
1482377339523.png
288KB, 600x549px
>>376554175
It's very common in the social guilds.

It's not at all common for /v/'s target demographic: NEET Tryhard Hardcore Shiller4Free

The difference of course being one has social skills, and the other has BiS raid gear.
>>
>>376556881
>Most of that market is going to dry up over the next few years as Blizzard becomes unable to sell software to Windows users.
What?
>Unlike Valve who has invested in next-gen portable graphics with Vulkan Blizzard's most recent game was actually a step backwards moving to D3D11 from the technically superior OpenGL.
HAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT? What the fuck are you talking about? You're praising Valve for wasting time making shitty gimmicks instead of games?
>>
>>376553895
Around the time they made Diablo, and then Battle.net is when they hooked ALLOT of people.
Battle.net was the first(I think?) of its kind and people loved it.
>>
>>376557057
Nintendo have stayed fine by pursuing the goal of not allowing anybody else to take a cut of their income with near religious zeal.
Valve have followed their lead since they know if they lose their independence its over for them.

Blizzard is currently staring into the abyss with no good options going forward and seemingly making no effort to avoid going over the edge.
>>
File: 1494205036691.png (262KB, 446x456px) Image search: [Google]
1494205036691.png
262KB, 446x456px
>>376556972
Objectively false.

Vanilla WoW was brilliant in its time and revolutionized a lot of the social aspects of gaming.
>>
>>376556972
>Going outside the map
I didn't ask for these feels
>>
File: tips fedora.jpg (39KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.jpg
39KB, 479x720px
>>376555621
You have an IQ under 80 if you play any MOBA or FPS. Smart people only play waifubait JRPG's and visual novels.
>>
>>376557351
>Vanilla WoW was brilliant in its time and revolutionized a lot of the social aspects of gaming.
A revolution would have stuck. It was an interesting time for the industry but the social aspect of gaming isn't what it used to be.

Those days are dead. MMOs wont die, they'll just have smaller player bases of people who DO like socializing or those too invested to ever quit.
>>
File: windows_store_only.png (100KB, 501x468px) Image search: [Google]
windows_store_only.png
100KB, 501x468px
>>376557108
What was once a fever dream now has a name, Windows 10 S.
Microsoft are currently downplaying it, but its clear to everyone in the industry that this is the soft launch for the closing of their platform off to third parties that has been on its way for a long time.
OEMs, just like the majority of 4chan don't want to pay for Windows. 10 S gives OEMs something they can give away for free with Microsoft planning to make money off of the captive audience the auto-updating 10 gives them.

As for Valve, there's no point making games if they can't sell them. Vulkan is no gimmick, its the only way to get modern graphics without being locked in to somebody else's platform.
Blizzard hasn't even done the basic stuff to protect themselves, probably the executives wondering how many billion they can get selling out.
>>
>>376555829
>transitioning to a console first dev
What? Their heavy hitters are/were pc exclusives.
>>
>>376557509
>A revolution would have stuck

But it did. Every MMO on the market since 2008, with the exception of EvE, has been a WoW clone.
>>
>>376558326
fun fact: a lot of those MMOs are made by ex-blizzard developers
>>
Worth subbing for this or FFXIV?
>>
>>376553895
>>376547494
Didn't get enough responses before, did ya?
>>
>>376553895
Just bought Diablo 3 recently, does Greenmangaming give the dev money or is it all just illegal nonsense like G2A?
>>
>>376556237
You know that blizzard was owned by vivendi far before that merge happened, right?
>>
>>376558496
WoW is pretty much the same shit it's always been, I'm getting a little bored of FF14 but it's a nice change. There's a free trial up to level 35 that's pretty prohibitive anyway
>>
>>376556237
no merge happened
Activision Blizzard is a publisher
Blizzard Entertainment is still its own thing.
>>
I miss old Blizzard. Why'd they have to change?
>>
>>376554303
>tfw 145 IQ playing Diablo 3 right now
>>
>>376558895
metzen got old
>>
Convince me not to resub to wow with a token?
>>
>>376558665
depends
check on the game page where it says "Source". if it's "authorised redistributor" it's probably stolen keys.
>>
>>376558895
Me too man. Every time i replay Warcraft 2 and 3 or Diablo 2 i want to cry.
>>
>>376559061
The games just not what it used to be. Its old, and tired. It deserves to be layed to rest respectfully.
>>
>>376553895
The moment they realized they could cash in the most from turbo casuals
>>
>>376557785
If it's true Valve is the only one doing it. Also, the backlash would be massive if they actually did something like this. I highly doubt it's ever going to happen.
>>
Pretty sure when kotick bought them Somewhere arround after bc release pre wotlk. He praised himself back then that he had to teach them too look for profit maximization first and the rest second.

I would say that's also where the game started getting dumbed down.
>>
a couple decades ago
>>
>>376559098
It's out of stock. Fingers crossed mine was a stolen key, I tried very hard to get that game without giving the worst company in existence today my money.
>>
The only thing I dislike about nu-Blizzard is that their games aren't top shit in graphics anymore.
>>
>>376559776
They never were though.
>>
>>376559776
When has Blizzard ever had top shit in graphics?
>>
>>376553895
They make pretty alright games but damn do they drop the ball on some stuff.

>D3 launch
>Killing off Tirion (by a random demon)

At least Legion is pretty okay. besides the welfare legendaries
>>
>>376560003
Legion's biggest mistake was trying to be D3. It's not an outright offensive expansion like WoD, but it's not going to bring anyone back either.

Not like it matters, MMO's are as irrelevant as Guitar Hero these days. Instanced shit like Rust makes for far better online social experiences.
>>
>>376559523
SquareEnix, and Sega are following Valve's lead and supporting GNU/Linux. Its entirely possible that SE could be the first MMO company to have a 'holiday console' style MMO machine.

>Also, the backlash would be massive if they actually did something like this. I highly doubt it's ever going to happen.
You realize this isn't some speculation now right? Its happening, 10 S is a real product
>>
>>376559889
Their movies in game were fucking amazing, I guess their cinematics team has always been good
>>
>blizzard
>>
>>376560263
10 s is real but it's not mandatory and looks like it's only on their laptops right now.
>>
>>376560338
Oh i thought you meant like gameplay grafics
Their cutscenes were indeed top tier and still are
>>
>>376554778
Elon musk plays overwatch because he's a casual. The dude plays like thirty minutes of video games per week, do you think he's going to hop on quake and get his pale ass ripped in half by fifteen year veterans?
>>
>>376560431
I'm a third party, was just making comment that their cutscenes have always impressed me
>>
>>376560453
Well no because nobody plays Quake anymore.
>>
File: unsupported-hardware.png (81KB, 799x514px) Image search: [Google]
unsupported-hardware.png
81KB, 799x514px
>>376560376
Just like 10 isn't mandatory, except for all the things they're doing to attempt to force people to downgrade from 7.
>>
>>376555621
>What games do you play that require a genius level IQ to succeed at?

Any top-level RTS player is generally at the top end of the IQ spectrum.

Any game that requires good reaction times (CS, arena shooters) is also generally dominated by intelligent people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_chronometry#Mental_chronometry_and_cognitive_ability

>Researchers have reported medium-sized correlations between reaction time and measures of intelligence: There is thus a tendency for individuals with higher IQ to be faster on reaction time tests

This isn't just based on science, anecdotally I can also tell you that people are significantly more well-spoken and logical in the higher ranks of these kinds of games.
>>
>>376560843
Well at least console gamers can always laugh at PC gamers for being huge cuckolds. PC gaming might just become a no-go in the future unless you are really dedicated to play Valve box opening simulators or something.

Good thing nobody actually owns any games in their Steam library or else Valve would be in-trouble.
>>
>>376553895
I've always wondered this too, OP. It isn't the games because they haven't been good for over 10 years. Must just be good marketing and appealing characters or something.
>>
>>376561129
>Good thing nobody actually owns any games in their Steam library or else Valve would be in-trouble.
Not sure what you're going on about there. All software is licensed, you don't own any of the games you think you own, just implied licenses to be able to play them.
>>
>>376560843
That would have merit if their updates didn't add holes.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/windows-defender-nscript-remote-vulnerability/

>windows defender executes malware
10/10 security
>>
>>376561794
My point is if Microsoft locks people out of their software, and only a handful of companies are branching out to other OS, then a lot of people are screwed with their huge Steam libraries.
>>
File: 1439682958293.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
1439682958293.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
>Let's take MOBA and make it as casual as possible! (HOTS)
>Let's take FPS and make it as casual as possible and partially a MOBA! (Overwatch)
>Let's take card games and make them as casual as possible! (Hearthstone)

The secret formula to success is to make high-budget games which are so casual that every other dev never went there because they assumed their fans would feel downright insulted
>>
>>376561794
>Not sure what you're going on about there. All software is licensed, you don't own any of the games you think you own, just implied licenses to be able to play them.

It's not licensed in the Valve 'we can take all your games away for any reason :)' way. Traditional game purchases are 'if you bought this game it's yours forever'
>>
>>376561862
>Software has exploits
Wow who knew
>>
>>376553895
Making a competitve game, full stealth waifu and husbando, shits so stealthy people still claim its SJW to this day
>>
File: mad_max_vulkan_benchmarks.png (89KB, 597x1314px) Image search: [Google]
mad_max_vulkan_benchmarks.png
89KB, 597x1314px
>>376561949
Wouldn't be Valve's fault, and I imagine that with 10 S no longer simply a rumor that more companies will be following Valve's lead especially now that Vulkan is proven.

There are even games getting GNU/Linux exclusive Vulkan upgrades with impressive results.
>>
>>376561952
>partially a MOBA!
What
>>
>>376562183
>exploits in a fucking virus scanner are okay
do you see shit like this from any competent antivir developer? nope. Also point is everyone who didn't update was save. So much for update to be save
>>
>>376562490
Valve still has to answer to the people who paid money for games on their distribution software. Valve can easily weasel their way out of it, but that doesn't mean people are going to be happy.

Also if all this shit is true I may just drop PC gaming all-together. This shit is just getting stupid now.
>>
>>376553895
stuffing waifus in OW
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.