[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Still in development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 11

File: list.png (2MB, 1272x2716px) Image search: [Google]
list.png
2MB, 1272x2716px
What games are missing from this list? I'm inexperienced when it comes to certain genres like horror, so I don't know how to write a description for RE1 and Silent Hill 2.
>>
File: 1494115785604.jpg (140KB, 700x950px) Image search: [Google]
1494115785604.jpg
140KB, 700x950px
How about the first DMC friendo?
>>
>>376543625
Good idea, but what should the description for it be?
>>
Pac Man and Tetris?
>>
>>376542762
It's always embarrassing how these threads and pictures are thinly veiled nostalgia circlejerks. Games are still innovating and even most of these games on the list didn't invent or perfect their mechanics.
>>
>>376544121
How about giving a few examples to prove me wrong?
>>376543972
They are famous, but aren't influental, unless we count various remakes they got, but that doesn't count for the list I am making.
>>
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for popularizing modern and near-future FPS games, shaping the landscape of AAA shooters singlehandedly.

Same with Defense of the Ancients and MOBAs, which are the most popular genre of games today (or near to it).
>>
File: sh1 ntsc cover.jpg (144KB, 1599x697px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 ntsc cover.jpg
144KB, 1599x697px
>>376542762
>RE1
I'd put in something like:

"Coined the term "Survival Horror", and started a real horror boom.
Took inspirations from the George Romero's "Living Dead" movies and the 1992's "Alone in the Dark" game (and its sequels). Utilized life-action and CG FMVs, fully voice acted cutscenes, dimmed color palette and static camera-angles to create cinematic experience never seen before in games. The game limited not only player's inventory space, but also number of available total supplies and saves. Creepy undead enemies, jumpscares and plenty of gore not only frightened players back in 96, but also made the game one of the first must-have reasons to own Playstation."

>SH2
I know #2 is THE cult-hit everyone knows even if they'd not be interested in the series, but in truth, it's just a sequel to a game that invented and coined just about ALL the saga's ideas.

In short, SH1 started its life as "yet another RE clone" during the boom, but Team-Silent decided to aim higher and create more psychological horror experience. Instead of guns & gore, they wanted to scare players to the very core, by making the MC just a normal guy, limiting the view distance with fog and darkness, and making even the environments disturbing. The story elements also took a step up from RE's B-movie roots, with the game utilizing tons of visual symbolism in everything from enemy designs to the environments you venture into. The Akira Yamaoka's brilliant audio-world is nowadays hailed as one videogame history's greatest, and one of the main reasons for SH games' atmosphere.
>>
>>376545189
Thanks for the valuable inputs, I think I'll include your descriptions.
>>376545102
I'd say the first CoD already put such types of games on the map, and Doom influenced it, like it did other games in its genre, it's too influental and no other FPS' are needed, save for Half-Life 1 which is already on there, and probably Unreal Tournament, but I don't know what description to put for it.

>>376544121
Still waiting for your answer.
>>
>>376542762
Dune

Invented RTS
>>
File: Zelda OoT game cover.jpg (36KB, 640x438px) Image search: [Google]
Zelda OoT game cover.jpg
36KB, 640x438px
>>376542762
Need OoT.

>"Mario 64" of 3D action adventure games
>brought Zelda to 3rd dimension
>invented a target-lock down mechanism, Z-targeting, which is still used in action games such as the Souls series
>one of the earliest uses of Context Sensitive action buttons and dynamic HUD explaining them
>superb soundtrack and implementation of music in the gameplay
>>
>>376546445
>one of the earliest uses of Context Sensitive action buttons and dynamic HUD explaining them
>invented a target-lock down mechanism, Z-targeting, which is still used in action games such as the Souls series
Are you sure about these? Other points you made aren't important.
Also could you write a normal description, without greentexting? Like >>376545189 did?
>>
>>376542762
what game perfected the fps genre? I'd say STALKER but its not that popular (no devs have STALKER as an inspiration to create games)
>>
I was thinking of including the first Warioware on the GBA, purely because of its design - it's really masterful how it managed to have mini-games with various mechanics whose controls and goals could be realized in the one second you have to react before starting to play.
>>
>>376542762
The retarded description on Deus Ex alone invalidates everything this image has to say. Deus Ex didn't inovate anything, and the story is sci-fi pulp.
>>
>>376542762
> Dune

Definitely needs a spot there. It was a basis of all strategy and RTS games that came afterwards, included Command n Conquer games.

>Heroes of Might n Magic

Also spawned countless lookalikes and everybody spent some time sitting 4 at one PC taking turns for hours. It also put a basis of turned based army fights and interface switch in fights/roaming mode, afaik.

> Populous

Gave basis to all the "God games" that came afterwards. Altough I would maybe list Black and White instead, because that one was truly epic for its times.

> Pokemon Red/Blue

Face it, it was huge back in the days, and a true game changer, no matter what opinion you currently hold about the franchise. Also made basis for countless of other similar games.

> F.E.A.R

The legend of horror games. If you haven't played it, do so even though it's 15~ years old or so, still and epic horror experience.
>>
>>376546689
Yes, I'm sure. Just look up any discussion about 3D games before OoT (and Mario64), and you'll notice that the camera & keeping up with action were some of the biggest issues of vidya.

Just make up sentences yourself.
>>
>>376542762
>Diablo 2 instead of Diablo
>Warcraft 3 instead of Starcraft or Warcraft 2
>>
>>376547087
It doesn't say anywhere in the description that it innovated anything, it's there because it's the best blend of genres in any video game, and it has the most replay value and most branching level design. It's true that other games seem too linear and without many options after you played Deus Ex. I bet you didn't play the game.

>>376547158
Pokemon was important for starting its own series which is still going strong, but it didn't do anything for JRPGs as a whole.
Not sure about F.E.A.R. as I haven't played it, do you have some more arguments for it?
I agree about Heroes, and Dune too (I'll put Dune 2 in), but is Populous really that important? How many God games are there anyways? Black and White only falls to my mind.
>>
>>376547158
I actually remember playing some sci-fi command&conquer game which brought those Dune worms back to gaming.

I think the name of the game was Tyberian Sun or something like that.
>>
>>376547293
Diablo 2 was way more influental than Diablo 1 because of the gambling mechanics it had. Also it was thanks to it that Diablo's gameplay was copied and we got so many clones (Titan Quest, Nox, Divine Divinity, Inquisitor, Lionheart etc). If it was only Diablo 1 that existed, no clones would appear, and its gameplay wasn't anything to write home about either, because the gambling factor was missing.

I'd be grateful if some WRPG veterans appeared, I really don't know which Ultima and Wizardry game to add, and what descriptions to write.
>>
>>376544121
>Thief didn't perfect stealth
you need to leave
>>
>>376547297
Not the same poster but I remember an old creepypasta about the original uncut version of F.E.A.R .
Basically they tested the game on human volunteers to see their reactions to various scenes in the game. They put a guy into the room with a big screen and big sound system and made him play for some time. Then they opened the door after several hours and found the guy sitting in the corner of the room with pissed pants and on verge of mental breakdown.

They had to nerf the horror part of the game drastically after that, and released only the heavy censored version of the game (which is still scary af) but the legend says that some employee was able to snatch the original version of the game before they could nerf it and it still exists somewhere on the darkweb.
>>
>>376547297
>Pokemon was important for starting its own series which is still going strong, but it didn't do anything for JRPGs as a whole.
not him, but that's off the point.
Pokemon became a massive phenomenon. It's amazing that kids (and adults) alike are STILL playing and buying Poke-crap. I was into it, my friends were into it, the tough guys at school were into it, my wife still is into it...

Seriously, Pokemon became the Super Mario of late 1990s, the flagship product of Nintendo's handheld systems (that rightfully dominated the market), and one of the longest running modern TV series ever.

>FEAR, as I haven't played it,
jesus christ, DO SO!

>some arguments for it?
Best implementation of Slow-motion gimmick since Max Payne (which I guess could be added to the list?), one of the most legendary enemy AI systems in gaming history, and one of THE best shotguns in shooter series.
>>
>>376547437
Ultima 9.
It was the pioneer of the completely broken game on launch with massive patches genre.
>>
>>376547837
Sorry to say, but creepypasta won't suffice. Most of creepypasta are made-up things, anyways.

>>376547882
You're looking at the social aspect of it, how famous the franchise became and how many merchandise it has, but we're talking about the medium. This isn't a list of the most popular games.
I definitely need to play F.E.A.R.
>>
>>376547882
> one of the most legendary enemy AI systems in gaming history

this.
>>
>>376547837
sounds a bit far-fetched half truth, but I do know that they had to make one spook in the expansion packs a skippable, optional event, because it seriously triggered the claustrophobics. And gave it to some others.
>>
File: list.png (2MB, 1280x3472px) Image search: [Google]
list.png
2MB, 1280x3472px
Here's the updated version
>>
>>376547974
>This isn't a list of the most popular games.
You're making interesting hair-splittings here if you ask me. Just like Mario did in 80s, Pokemon too did become a cultural phenomenon, and it did spawn the "collect & trade" type of games + numerous knockoffs.
>>
>>376548043
Well I was like 13 yo when I heard that story from a 15 yo friend so there's a high chance that it's a completely made up story.
Nevertheless, it made me want to play the game even more.
>>
>>376548273
Mario influenced its genre so much that it's insane. Then again, there's only so much you can do with a concept of 2D platformer, but it still counts. If you play SMB1, you see the level design present in almost any other 2D platformer after it, and same goes for the numbering of the levels, the themed environments etc.
Pokemon never had such an impact in its own genre.
>and it did spawn the "collect & trade" type of games + numerous knockoffs
Debatable, and even then it's mostly its own characteristic, the only other thing that comes to my mind is Oracle of Seasons/Ages on GBC.
>>
How the shit how nobody said GTA 3 yet?
>>
>>376548329
yeah, sounds quite a bit like "THAT guy" story, but mixed with details from the edited scare in the exp.pack + imagery from the life-action promo videos.
>>
>>376548562
because GTA1-2 came long before it, Driver did 3D crime-driving already on PS1, and Body Harvest was the first "3D GTA" -type game with open world and snatchable vehicles?

If Pokemon can't make the cut because "it's nothing special really", then GTA3 is the same. It just made the IP popular within normies.
>>
>>376547437
If you want to put Ultima put Ultima IV, as far as I know it's the first rpg where you're not saving the world, but trying to become a paragon of virtues.
As for Wizardry, I have no clue. Maybe the first one, since it became insanely popular in Japan and was a huge influence on JRPG genre.
>>
File: 2210607-box_gta3.png (1MB, 776x960px) Image search: [Google]
2210607-box_gta3.png
1MB, 776x960px
The game that popularized Sandbox environments etc.
>>
>>376548736
I can tell just from reading this that you weren't old enough to play it when it came out. It wrote the book on 3D open world games, It's influence is undeniable. How ignorant can you be?
>>
>>376548929
Thanks for the advice, I hope someone experienced appears. Sadly, /v/ is mostly populated with weaboofags who haven't played any WRPG, save for the older ones.
>>
>>376548929
Wizardry did lead to the birth of the JRPG, and the party-based dungeon crawler genre in general.
>>
>>376549096
Sorry kid, I'm literally 30, and it was one of THE games my dudebro-in-training younger brother and his pals were into back in the days. Yeah, I enjoyed it a bit too, but you should read the thread before making a fool out of yourself.
>>
>>376548426
>spawned the entire collectables RPG rage that still lives on
>never had an impact in its own genre
Now you're just fucking with me. How the fuck is single-handedly creating your own subbranch of RPGs less influential than something like fucking Metal Gear, which had even less impact on stealth games than Thief? You're also missing big genre creators like Prince of Persia, Zelda, Ultima/Wizardry etc etc. There's also stuff like Myst and FF7 on your list, which did nothing special except help popularize their respective genre by being good games, yet you refuse to do the same thing for Goldeneye. This list of yours won't amount to anything as long as you keep up the bias.
>>
>>376549590
Metal Gear Solid had an impact on the cinematic experience, as bad as it is nowadays sadly. That's way bigger influence than creating your own subbranch, and your argument isn't even an argument, it's a glorified way of saying it created its own franchise, it could be applied to MGS too, or to any other big franchise with longevity.
I'm aware of Prince of Persia, Ultima and Wizardry, but I don't know what descriptions to put for them, but you're welcome to help me.
Myst and FF7 are extremely important, especially FF7 because it didn't only popularize (but that's important too, at least when it comes to JRPGs as the popularization influenced the steering of the genre in a different direction), but also has some tropes which other JRPGs after it use, for example the crazy clothing.
Goldeneye is an outdated FPS with horrible controls and has no business with Doom 1 or Half-Life 1. Also it's not important to play unless we're talking about experiencing what the N64 has to offer.
>>
>>376549358
I think a majority of people would knowledge the game's influence. You seem stuck on the fact that normies liked it as if it were a criticism. It's a great fucking game that most open world games after it. This thread is about INFLUENTIAL games, and to say that GTA 3 didn't have a substanial effect on the gaming world is laughable at best. The only person making a fool out of themselves is you. You must have lived in some alternate universe where there weren't hundreds of GTA clones made afterwards
>>
>>376549358
>>376548736
>GTA III
>not influential

I genuinely cannot fathom how someone could unironically hold this opinion. Ever heard of a GTA clone?
>>
>>376550472
>>376549906
you two seem to have missed the point.
OP literally just dismissed Pokemon, one of THE biggest gaming phenomenons of all time. I see no reason why GTA would be an exception, unless you got very twisted double standards.
>>
>>376549882
>Metal Gear Solid had an impact on the cinematic experience
There's a whole host of adventure games long before that that did the same thing. There's zero proof that it was MGS, which was just another cinematic game at the time, specifically which influenced the later ones.

>especially FF7 because it didn't only popularize (...), but also has some tropes which other JRPGs after it use
You haven't played nearly enough JRPGs if you truly believe this. There's a ton of stuff on the SNES/32X/Saturn which did far more for the genre than FF7, and a lot of the designs in the PS2 era seems to come from FFX instead.

>Goldeneye is an outdated FPS with horrible controls and has no business with Doom 1 or Half-Life 1
It's the single most popular FPS of its time, the inventor of the console FPS, and it's what led directly to the juggernaut that was the Halo franchise, which is also consipicuously absent from your list.

Like I said, keep up the attitude and nobody will bother. You have a chance to make a good, historically accurate list, and all you do is go "nu-uh, I didn't like that game so it's not important".
>>
>>376542762
add minecraft
>>
>>376551085
People won't like it but it's the god damn truth
>>
>>376550665
MGS was the most popular and a lot of other games went in the footsteps of cinematic because of it, deal with it.
>FFX
Which copied (or was at least inspired) by FF7.
>Goldeneye leading to Halo
Seriously? Also Halo is unneeded, Doom is enough as it's too big of an influence on its genre, and only HL1 other than it is enough, just because it's responsible for the branch of FPS' that don't concentrate on pure shooting and brainless action.
>>
>>376544291

>Tetris isn't influential

Wut
>>
File: 1494021876184.png (161KB, 422x357px) Image search: [Google]
1494021876184.png
161KB, 422x357px
Where the fuck is system shock?
>>
Id argue for zelda oot and possibly pokemon red and blue.

Portal?

Gothic?
>>
>>376542762
Add infiminer
It is father of all sandboxes
>>
>>376551695
Op is hipocritical faggot
>>
>>376542762
I know you already added WCIII which by the way I 100% agree should be on that list, but shouldn't the original starcraft also be there? I mean it is THE RTS which innitiated the competitive RTS scene and continued until today, not to mention one of the only RTS to be truly balanced while retaining originality in their units.
>>
>>376551917
You're completely correct, but thanks to WC3 we have not only the whole MOBA genre, but also WoW which is THE massive multiplayer online RPG. Starcraft did achieve big things, but compared to WC3, C&C and Dune 2 (which I think are enough for the list), it doesn't make the cut.
>>
>>376544291
>>
Where the fuck is [insert_favorite_nostalgia_game] ?

>Goldeneye 64
>ICO
>Dragon Warrior
>Cookie Clicker
>>
>>376551229
>FFX was inspired by FF7
Did you ever play these fucking games. It's not nearly as much as FF6 influenced FF7 for example.
>Seriously?
Yes seriously. Wolf3D and Doom invented, Q3 and Unreal led to the arena FPS, Goldeneye and CS led to Halo which sparked the big console FPS boom of which CoD and others are part of. Half-Life was a popular game at the time, but only became really big after HL2 which was a breakthrough in engine technology. Out of these games, I'd say Doom and Halo had the most influence on later games, followed closely by the Unreal Engine.
>nu-uh, MSG was more popular than Pokémon because I said so!
Right then, stay delusional.
>>
RE4 should probably be on the list for popularizing third person action shooters. Maybe GTA3 for popularizing the open world meme. WoW unfortunately also has to be on there.
>>376548236
You made it worse than it was before.
>>
>>376552232
I know you're baiting, but those games are literally more influential than half of what is on OP's list.
>>
File: list.png (2MB, 1280x3560px) Image search: [Google]
list.png
2MB, 1280x3560px
>>376552246
I wasn't comparing the popularity of MGS to Pokemon, but of MGS to "There's a whole host of adventure games long before that that did the same thing" (which you failed or don't want to name) when it comes to influencing how many cinematic games there are nowadays.
>>376552353
Why?
>>
Most influential game of the past decade, prove me wrong. You can't.
>>
>>376552469
"There's a whole host of adventure games long before that that did the same thing" (which you failed or don't want to name)
Exhibit A: Dragon's Lair.

A game that singlehandedly introduced cinematics to videogames, directly contributed to a whole host of similar arcade games, and is directly responsible for every QTE you'll ever encounter in a modern videogame.
>>
>>376552935
Can't argue with that, but it's not worth experiencing as a game, MGS at least had more gameplay.
>>
>>376552232
Well Goldeneye should be added. It played a huge role in proving fps games didn't have to be pc only and considering how the genre went on to become the most commercially successful genre it makes it pretty important. It was still a worse game than perfect dark though.
>>
>>376542762
Zelda, obviously
It could be the original, ALttP or OoT
>>
>>376552623
Surprisingly, I don't think it's actually influenced much
>>
File: 1390578345446.png (196KB, 407x405px) Image search: [Google]
1390578345446.png
196KB, 407x405px
>>376553037
>moving the goal post this hard
Looks like I'm done with you. Enjoy your shitty fanwank list fag.
>>
>>376548236
it's obvious you're biased af towards RTS shit and your shitty pic has shitty presentation.

GTA 3, COD 4, Minecraft, all should be in there
>>
>Super Mario Bros
>It established the genre of 2D platforming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhXMYw1lXY0
>>
>>376546445
This.

Oot and mario64 are both the base for all modern action 3d games.
>>
>>376553831
>COD 4

what new concepts has this brought to the genre?
>>
>>376547437
>Diablo 2 was way more influental than Diablo 1 because of the gambling mechanics it had.
What do you mean?
>If it was only Diablo 1 that existed, no clones would appear,
>Diablo 2
>June 29, 2000
>Nox
>January 31, 2000
?
>>
>>376555171
My bad (yeah, Diablo 1 was the inspiration for Nox), but that's one example only.
>>
>>376555243
Diablo 1 was fairly out there with an action based game with stat building elements and killing monsters to find loot with online play to top it off.

I still don't know what you mean by gambling mechanics, you mean like Gheed? I don't think that was a huge draw to the game.
>>
>>376555243
>Ancient Evil, '98
>Darkstone, '99
>Revenant, '99
>the list goes on

>
>>
>>376555442
It put more accent on items, you had more items, more characteristics for them, more randomization, and it was a bigger game overall. Also it stripped the atmosphere for the addictive gameplay, way more than in Diablo 1 which was more slower and ambient.
>>
Add either Daggerfall or GTA3, as both games innovated in the open world genre.
>>
>>376555573
But that really isn't influential. Diablo 1 already did that. It wasn't even until a lot later, possibly even patched in that Diablo 2 LoD items eventually got charges on them like in Diablo 1. I mean you didn't have any outright bad magical items in Diablo 2. The difference between the two games? Diablo 1 did a better job in making you want to pick up that item than Diablo 2. Seeing that it had negative modifiers was much more of a disappointment than what ever you could uncover in D2.

>>376556123
Wasn't the first GTA open world?
>>
>>376556184
>Wasn't the first GTA open world?
it was, but you know GenZ kids: if it's 2D, it doesn't matter!
>>
>>376542762
>Sega World Wide Soccer 97
made the ground for 3D soccer games
>Halo
For fps on consoles
>Gran Turismo
For racing games
>>
>>376542762

>Pitfall
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.