[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

piracy moral

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: pirate.jpg (259KB, 1453x700px) Image search: [Google]
pirate.jpg
259KB, 1453x700px
i think piracy for games not being sold like ps2 games or whatever is fine. im curious why people think that pirating a game thats still pretty new like nier automata (general example) is ok? i see threads about piracy all the time and its usually people with conflicting opnions i just want to know someone who is for piracy of new games reasoning
>>
>>376537548
>why people think that pirating a game thats still pretty new like nier automata (general example) is ok?
They want something and don't want to pay for it.

What I want to know is why they think they need to justify themselves through an anonymous forum. What is the need in "defending" your choice to pirate?
>>
I saved 60€ by pirating Nier. Buying games feels more like donating to the developers at this point and I am not a very charitable person.
>>
IDK. The things I've pirated are 9+ years old and typically are just gameboy emulations.
>>
>>376538645
sorry maybe i need to rephrase my question. i dont know where you live but i think pirating is illegal mostly everywhere so why do you think its ok to break the law. like for a old game like ps2 i think its ok to pirate it since it is not released anymore. with a new game i think it is wrong because it is still being released by the company
>>
>>376539093
i think that is fine because the games arent sold anymore
>>
>>376539138
The act of downloading cracked games is not illegal in Germany. Distribution and sale of cracked games is illegal. I am literally doing nothing wrong as long as I don't torrent games and instead go for MEGA or others.
>>
>>376538312
So you think every pirate feels the need to post whenever moralfags have a spasm on this chinese sweat shop board?
>>
File: 1428874035173.jpg (3MB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
1428874035173.jpg
3MB, 3504x2336px
>>376537548
>When record companies make a fuss about the danger of "piracy", they're not talking about violent attacks on shipping. What they complain about is the sharing of copies of music, an activity in which millions of people participate in a spirit of cooperation. The term "piracy" is used by record companies to demonize sharing and cooperation by equating them to kidnaping, murder and theft.

>Copyright was set up after the printing press made copying a matter of mass production, typically done commercially. Copyright was acceptable in that technological context because it functioned as an industrial regulation, not restricting readers or (later) music listeners.

>In the 1890s, record companies began selling mass-produced musical recordings. These records facilitated the enjoyment of music, and did nothing to interfere with listening to music. Copyright on these musical recordings was mostly uncontroversial as it only restricted record companies and not music listeners.

>Today's digital technology enables everyone to make and share copies. Record companies now seek to use copyright law to deny us the use of this technical advance. The law which was acceptable when it restricted only publishers is now an injustice because it forbids cooperation among citizens.

>To stop people from sharing goes against human nature, and the Orwellian propaganda that "sharing is theft" usually falls on deaf ears. It appears the only way to stop people from sharing is with a harsh War on Sharing.

https://stallman.org/articles/end-war-on-sharing.html
>>
>>376539457
okay thats interesting i didnt realize it was legal to download them in Germany im American
>>
>>376539138
Same thing as
>>376539457
In Estonia.
>>
Free shit. That's it
>>
>>376539138
It's not that I think breaking the law is ok, it's that I just don't care
>>
>>376539138
You've probably driven at least 5 MPH over the speed limit before, so why do YOU think it's okay to break the law?

If there were no traffic cops everyone would constantly be speeding and breaking the law. It's no different for pirating.
>>
>>376539784
this was a pretty interesting read though it pertained more to the music industry. where the people making the actual music are a band of maybe a few people and when you listen to it you can do so with a group of people. a video game has hundreds of artists, coders, etc. and only one person can play at a time everyone else just watches. i think its a bit different but the punishment for people is pretty crazy like just being accused is punishable which is stupid
>>
>>376541157
>knowingly breaking the law
>unknowingly breaking the law

these are 2 different things.
>>
>>376540835
hate to use a anaolgy but people could go sneak into a gym and use equipment for free. i would feel guilty doing that would you? i feel its similar to pirating games
>>
Humans are selfish by default, so if there's no risk they will "break the law" because why the fuck not? Not rocket science.
>>
>>376541482
Uh, what? First of all, they aren't two different things in the eyes of the law, and second of all everyone knows they are breaking the law while speeding.
>>
>>376541158
He talks about "piracy" as a whole, music industry is just how it has started.
>>
>>376541157
>>376541482
people knowlingly speed i can say that for sure. i think its ok to go 5 mph over. you are right though i do it because there is no way to polic it. i think its wrong to go like 30 mph over though cause it puts people in serious danger to go to fast or to slow from the rest of the traffic haha
>>
Money is a thing I need to survive. If I don't have to pay for entertainment, then I won't. Stealing physical objects is a lot different than copying digital material.
>>
>>376539138
Before piracy I bought games for $30-59.99 so basically all the way from atari to dreamcast/xbox. I saved all my money and whenever a new console came out I had to sell the old ones or do some chores.

Once I started pirating games for 1/10 of their price buying bootlegs, my enjoyment of games heavily changed, it was no longer a matter of having enough money, I stopped defending bad videogames, or tryign to prove I made the right choice when I picked up a title/console, I just played everything I could get in my hands, and eventually played so much all games became boring and uninspired.

Then I moved to pc gaming, emulators and what not for legacy titles and jap translations, eventually ran out of titles, so I moved to online games and had to start buying shit again, but those games lasted me for fucking ever, so $60 +$40 expansions were ok.

Nowadays a game lasts you what 20-40 hours, sometimes less, way less, and still cost a ton, and add constant DLC, and no care for online features or replayability, it's more like super expensive rentals.

So I don't support expensive games because i feel they don't deserve my money, I want them to deliver quality products, and I'll only drop $60 when I believe the developer is actually providing something worth the dosh.

Piracy is not as big of an issue as people make it out to be, it's only a problem when there's more pirates than legit customers, and that only happens if your game is incredibly shit and obscure.
>>
>>376541715
>everyone drives over the the speed limit knowingly every time
Its called a "heavy foot" for a reason. you said around "5 mph". Its not a very significant to notice. unless you go 80 in 40 than you know you are doing it knowingly. Pirating is a binary choice, while speeding can happen without the law breaker even noticing for a number of reasons.
>>376542156

And what he said.
>>
>>376542178
>money
Money is a horrible drug and , sadly, you don't see it.
>>
>>376542152
maybe i dont get entirley what he is saying. i think when he says people sharing though he is talking about person to person. for game pirating a person can just click on a link and install the game which is pretty much the same as distributing it commercially
>>
>>376542447
What, you never did pirate something by accident?
>>
>>376537548
Is there a nier automata demo?
How am i supposed to see if its worth buying game without trying it first?

And before you start, i actually buy games. And for the past year or so i cant remember buying or pirating a single new game, but i've played so many great old games.
>>
>>376542178
why is stealing a physical object much different
>>
>>376542447
So it's alright to break the law as long as no one notices? So it's okay to pirate, then. Case closed.
>>
>>376542731
of course not, its legal where I live.
>>376542986
Different country different laws.
>>
>>376542404
what about games that have lots of hours of fun but you dont like it. my friend likes Overwatch he has 500 hours in or something and i personally felt the game wasnt worth $60 played like 5 hour. makes sense that piracy isnt as big a issue as i think i havent researched it all i figured a lot of people did it
>>
>All these people trying to justify theft
>"Well when i started pirating games, suddenly games became worthless to me, so why the heck would I pay for them!?"
Pure scum.
>>
>>376543332
op here is it theft though? after all these replies im pretty conflicted on pirating and one thought thats in the back of my mind is whether its theft.
>>
>>376543562
It's theft, but more importantly, piracy only breeds more piracy. Once every game is free for you then suddenly the value of those games drops to nothing, and it becomes much easier to pirate without guilt.
>>
>>376543562
copyright infringement
>>
>>376538312
Pretty much this.
Every arguement is just am attempt to justify oneself. Often to themselves even. Kind of sad really and breeds entitlement.
I pirate but i acknowledge I'm fucking over devs.
>>
>>376543332
The same people who say this listen to stolen music and watch stolen movie clip uploads on YouTube, which is even worse than pirating a video game since the uploader gets money from ad revenue.

Fuck off.
>>
>>376537548
>moralfaggotry
Reddit, you are drunk, go home
>>
>>376543771
but copyright infringement is a legal term and posts >>376539483 and >>376540579 say that it is perfectly legal in germany and estonia
>>
>>376543816
To be fair there is no legit way to easily watch movie clips, most aren't denying movie sales, you can't watch a whole movie on yotube. Hell some of it is even legit fair use.
Music is a fair complaint but musicians have alternative revenue streams. Game developers don't sell much merch or make their money touring.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>376537548
>Spooks
>>
>>376543724
you havent said why it is theft. thats what im thinking over and it makes sense that once someone does it once they are likely to keep doing it
>>
>>376537548
We pirate shit because we can, you retarded moralfag.
>>
>>376544161
I don't know enough about law. I also heard that "downloading shit for yourself is a-ok as long as you're not distributing it" but it might as well be something simply made up and convenient to repeat.
>>
>>376543920
>>376544337
>>376544654

nothing wrong with discussing morals guys adn gals. do you do everything in life because you can? i wont always do something if i think its wrong
>>
>piracy threads always get deleted

but y tho
>>
File: moralfags.jpg (200KB, 961x658px) Image search: [Google]
moralfags.jpg
200KB, 961x658px
>>376537548
>moral
There is no morality behind it, it's difficult to feel dutiful to something as esoteric as copyright infringement. When will buyfags stop pretending that they buy games out of some arbitrary obligation?
>>
>>376543332
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

Kill yourself my man
>>
>>376545284
can you explain your first sentence more i dont really get it. i do understand your second sentence and picture though lol, games that aren't produced by big companies like (i know your gonna flip your shit at this) shovelnight which are indie stuff get pirated too
>>
>>376545284
How do games get funded?
>>
>>376538312
>why are people having a videogame related discussion on a videogame discussion forum

>why do they have viewpoints that differ from my own

this is you right now, i hope you can realize how childish this sounds.
>>
>>376546510
He won't answer you. He'd rather be a peon who doesn't exist in sales feedback, and then bitch when games he likes aren't being made anymore. What a phenomenon.
>>
>>376547057
probably because he's falseflagging
>>
>>376545526
what he says makes sense. i dont know if it is true for a video game company though that has a workforce. for books you have the author, editor, and so on but not too much. it probably is true for small companies so thats good and if it benefits the company i dont see anything wrong with people pirating the game because like he said that free advertisement helped him. this along with the other things ive read and the stallman article which i understand a bit better now makes me think piracy is fine and the bit about it being theft isnt applicable since it seems to be beneficial
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.