[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I want a great story, what SMT game should I play?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: ShinMegamiTenseiLogo.png (47KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
ShinMegamiTenseiLogo.png
47KB, 250x250px
If I want a great story, what SMT game should I play?
>>
>>376535906
Raidou Kuzunoha
>>
P2 duology
SMT II
DDS
Raidou 1
>>
>>376535906
Shin Megami Tensei 'Persona' 4: Apocalypse
>>
>>376535964
raidou1 maybe
2 story is dogshit
>>
>>376536000
What game out of those 4 would you say has the best story?
>>
>>376536000
Both Raidou games are great.

World of LU
>>
SMT1 with orden patch
>>
strange journey
>>
>>376535906

You probably shouldn't.
SMT typically has a really rad setting and great gameplay but the story and characters leave something to be desire.
>>
File: 912a96fe8675dc4a.jpg (267KB, 612x670px) Image search: [Google]
912a96fe8675dc4a.jpg
267KB, 612x670px
>>376535906
Shin Megami Tensei DDS
>>
>>376536306
>can't check what each item does before buying
>demon negotiation is like rolling a 8 sides dice with only a single winning one
>you waste MAG walking around with your shit demons
>never fucking know where to go next without bumping on invisible characters
>>
You should play something else. MT games regularly have really fun and enjoyable stories, but they're not quite what I would call well written.
>>
>>376536235
>>376536152
>>376536000

Is Raidou 1 a complete game? Like I heard DDS 1 ends on a cliffhanger so you need to play DDS 2 as well. Is it like that?
>>
>>376536674

I really like the ideas of law vs. chaos and the settings of most of the games, from what I have seen. I have a pretty high level of suspension of disbelief, so plot contrivances don't bother me too much. I just love stories that have grand ideas in some way.
>>
>>376537005
It's a complete game. Raidou 2 is another story about Raidou taking on a different case.
>>
>>376537005
It is
>>
>>376537137
The law and chaos stuff is most prevalent in thw mainline games. If you like good ideas, Digital Devil Saga has plenty of them, but they're not that well executed. Raidou 1 is great just for how crazy it gets. It feels like they went out of their way to make it as wild as possible and it works really well.
>>
>>376537137
Then go for mainline SMT and maybe check out Devil Survivor too
>>
>>376537405
>Digital Devil Saga has plenty of them, but they're not that well executed

What would you say are the main themes/ideas of DDS? What are the flaws in how they are presented or executed?

>Raidou 1 is great just for how crazy it gets

Crazy in a nonsensical sort of way? Or crazy in terms of plot twists and stuff like that?

>>376537509
>Devil Survivor
What is the main appeal of this game?
>>
Devil Digital Saga
>>
>>376537908
An SRPG that incorporate SMT well. It also has some good ideas, execute them well, and the independent routes are explored and executed better than SMT I and II
>>
>>376537908
DDS has a lot of ties and parallels to Hinduism in its plot and the setting if the first game is fantastic. The characters are fairly likable and it did a good job of keeping me interested in the world. The cast is a little underwhelming, but there are no bad characters, each one has decent development and the best of the characters is an extremely likable and engaging guy. DDS2 is a step down, the setting is much less imaginative and it all just feels less unique. It still has some decent twists and turns and all the reveals of the answers to the mysteries presented in the first gake are very satisfying. Both games have the problem of being melodramatic. There's a scene early on in the first game that is laughable and it made me feel embarassed to be playing. That problem mostly stems from the characters and their behavior feeling like their rooted in anime tropes.

Raidou is crazy in a nonsensical way, bit it's done very well. I don't want to spoil it, but it just goes in directions you would never expect from a 1920s detective story.
>>
>>376536000
What kind of faggot thinks P2 and SMT II have good stories? SMT is fun and has cool atmosphere though. P2 is fucking trash.
>>
>>376538437
>>376538683

Thank you both for your replies. I have been meaning to dive into the SMT games for some time now, and you have given me some great ideas on where to start.
>>
File: 1471187990733.jpg (634KB, 1428x1412px) Image search: [Google]
1471187990733.jpg
634KB, 1428x1412px
>>376535906
Nocturne or Soul Hackers
>>
I really want to play a /tg/ game in an smt setting but I feel like I'd need to co-DM when we get to the whole KILL YOUR FRIENDS shit.
>>
>>376539245
Or just let them kill each other because of different alignments
>>
>>376539245
You need to be sociable to play tabletop games.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.