[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Persona 5 jump the shark toward the end?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

Did Persona 5 jump the shark toward the end?
>>
All JRPGs do.
>>
Name 5 JRPG where you don't kill a god at the end
>>
>>376532613
Do you cosider things like Zemus and Lavos to be gods?
>>
>>376532495
>>376532613

It's not just about killing god. The game had a major shift in tone after the fight with Shido. It almost feels like you're playing an entirely different game after that.
>>
>>376532763
well, an alien being wanting to rule the earth is not really different from a god
>>
>>376532613
Earthbound
Golden Sun
Super Mario RPG
Megaman X: Command Mission
Jackie Chan
>>
>>376532428
No, the end parts with all the velvet room stuff are godlike

especially when old igor returns.
>>
It felt perfectly fine, escalating the stakes in a logical way while incorporating the thing you considered to be a side thing and subverting expectations of the game being over
>>
>>376533310
nerd
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>Persona 6
>The end boss is YHVH

How would you react?
>>
>>376534000
Just want to fight a big metatron with personers desu.
>>
Only problem I have with it, is how epic it felt.
I loved it, but it makes me wonder how it'll effect the next game. I mean if no one acknowledges how the devil saved Christmas, I'd be pretty bummed.
>>
>>376533310
I see you actually paid attention to the story as well.
>>
>>376532428

I actually felt the opposite. The conclusion was so underwhelming compared to 3, for example. They had all the time in the world to properly build it up, too.
>>
>>376532428

>DUDE LET'S RIPOFF THE END OF PERSONA 4 LMAO
>>
>>376534000
But that's who you kill in Persona 5
>>
>>376532428
What does "jumping the shark" even means?
t. latinbro
>>
>>376534589
It's not though. You end up fighting an Erebus-like entity. Yaldy's a manifestation of humanity's collective desire for sloth.
>>
>>376532613
Every japanese rpg ever
>>
>>376532428
No, the stuff about people creating a Palace filled with Christian gods to rule over them fit in with the rest of the game's lore really well. Way more buildup to it than P4's ending.
>>
File: 1492186510057.jpg (337KB, 1069x724px) Image search: [Google]
1492186510057.jpg
337KB, 1069x724px
>>376532428
Yes.
Shido should've been the final boss.
>>
>>376534589
No you dont. Yalb isn't even Nyarly level.
>>
File: when_the_shekels_hit_hard.jpg (919KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
when_the_shekels_hit_hard.jpg
919KB, 1600x900px
>>376534000
>>
>>376534775
Going too far, to the point of ridiculousness.
>>
>>376534780
Read up on Gnosticism famurai. Yaldabaoth is the old testament God, aka YHVH. The gnostics believed that YHVH was an evil spirit manipulating men into doing horrible shit in its name to feed its ego, and Lucifer tried to lead people to enlightenment so that they'd stop the nonsense.
>>
>>376534000
Yeah and give SMT the better villain wasted in new Persona
>>
>>376534780
Thanks for proving you didn't play the game.
>>
>>376532613

Thpoilerth ahead

>Shadow Hearts Covenant (Susano'o)
>Shadow Hearts FTNW (Lady and Malice Umbral)
>Tales of Vesperia (Duke)
>Dragon Quest IX (Corvus)
>Mario & Luigi (Cackletta)
>>
>>376534775
trope/meme/idiom.

Originally from happy days when the Fonz literally ski-jumped over a shark for ratings.

Now used in a similar sense when a game/movie/show/etc derails itself in an attempt for ratings/publicity.
>>
>>376532428
If anything it redeemed itself. Shido is a more thematically appropriate final boss I know but he and everything around him is just so boring and uninteresting it would been disappointing to end on him. All that fake Igor shit was pretty rushed but it was hype as fuck and a lot more satisfying than just another shitty adult with no real personality or interesting motivation. I do wish we could play a Persona game without an evil god born from man desires or whatever the fuck as the final boss but I think P5 handled it better than P4, although not as good as P3.
>>
>>376535096
>>376535163
Did you guys not even read the leadup from the Holy Grail all the way to the end?
>>
File: Philemon.png (108KB, 250x282px) Image search: [Google]
Philemon.png
108KB, 250x282px
>>376535394
>without an evil god born from man desires

That's the theme of the series though. You are fighting the mask or a persona of humankind. Philemon (creator of the Velvet Room) and Nyarlathotep in the P1 and P2 are basically the good and bad side of humanity
>>
>>376535510
Why are you still so intent on your denial? Just go and read on the Demiurge. The Holy Grail was manipulating people to make itself grow powerful. Whoa, I wonder what the fuck that is, it sounds so familiar.
>>
>>376535749
>read the thing that's not part of the game
Fuck off man. The cup says that it became so powerful because of humanity's collective desire for submission to a higher power.
>>
>>376536070
I think you might be retarded. Not internet retarded, but legit retarded. Your foolishness could've been avoided had you just gone and done the simple research, but instead you'd rather make yourself look like an ass here.
Let me help you one last time, and after this, it's all on you. Google these keywords: Gnosticism, Demiurge.
>>
File: 1465068361508.jpg (63KB, 381x432px) Image search: [Google]
1465068361508.jpg
63KB, 381x432px
>yfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFgh6JJ1R20
>>
>>376535096
Gnostics actually believed that the material reality and all of humanity with it are the Demiurge's creation, Demiurge being a lesser godbeing and born of a lower emanation of the True God
Humanity being Demiurge's creation then still possesses a sliver of divinity that works like a connection to the True God that you're supposed to embrace by rejecting the material world and escape the Demiurge's prison
>>
Why is it that the boss theme for the boss before the final boss is always better than final boss's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR7ghsIlT0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQILQgkClo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KukSVxgsQkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBmDz1kFQyw
>>
>>376536316
Do you even know what you're talking about?
>demiurge comes form Gnosticism, so it must be the exact same figure
You can't be this stupid. You have YHVH too, but it's not the same figure as the one that appears in Jewish texts. Stop trying to use outside sources and actually read what the game straight up says.
>>
>>376536423
That is not my face.

https://youtu.be/l1GeWQjIIvI?t=347
>>
>>376535715
I get it but that shit gets old after awhile. Mainline SMT can do it all they want because all the gods there have more defined and unique motivations and personalities but in Persona aside from Nyarlathotep they don't have much going on that makes them stand as anything other than just another boss monster to be beat.
>>
>>376536070
You're describing the Demiurge anon.

Incidentally
>Game about rebelling against mankind's distorted desires and the complacency to let the order of society rule your life
>Ending in any way but a throw down with the Demiurge

Its pretty fucking on point.
>>
I was perfectly fine with it and really enjoyed the final section with all of the angels as well. Shido was far too boring to be where the game ended. To be completely honest after 3 and 4 I would probably be more dissapointed if we didn't get to fight a god at the end.
>>
>>376536586
I like the classic feel to Yaldy's theme and when it transitions into Our Beginning, I would say is an even better musical shift than the lyrics of Rivers coming in during the second half of Shido's fight.
>>
My only issue was how sudden the end itself was. Skipping zero days in the entirety of the game and then suddenly skipping 2 months, and then another 2 months immediately afterwards and then you're on the last day made it all feel like it was coming all at once. I loved it otherwise.
>>
>>376536879
But the Demiurge in P5 isn't a creator god by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>376536754
Its like Killer7 with Harman and Kun Lan. Even after a hindred years Phil and Nharly will be playing their game with humans as their chess pieces.

I guess the best way to mix things up was to flip the script on who's on who's side. Or at the least have your party represent arcana that was nontraditonal to how it's been so far.
>>
Nah, I think it had a much more satisfying final sequence than P4 did, at least. Izanami barely felt like a real problem that you needed to solve, whereas Yaldabaoth went out of his way to screw with you and make you want to take him down. The only issue I had was that Mementos Depths and Qliphoth were both really underwhelming final dungeons.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.