[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>strafe what went so wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

File: strafe-1.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
strafe-1.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>strafe
what went so wrong?
>>
>Roguelike
Dropped
>>
They marketed this game as a 90s shooter, when in reality it's anything but
>>
File: thinkingmanmeme.jpg (9KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
thinkingmanmeme.jpg
9KB, 298x298px
So, what is this game and should I buy it? I remember seeing a trailer about it long ago, but it didn't really feature anything but the graphics.
>>
call of doody gun-play
AI = walk towards you
one gun
boring unexplained upgrades (WEE SPREAD REDUCTION WEE MORE AMMO WEE FIRE RATE 10% BOOST)

what the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>376518403
>Aims to imitate 90's shooter graphics
>Just shoehorns pixelation and calls it a day

It's like the 2d "retro' indieshit platformers that say they are aiming for NES graphics, yet have a 16M color palette
>>
to be honest this game actually gets pretty fun once you get to the burbs, not 20 bucks fun but it seems like the further you progress the more interesting the game becomes.
>>
File: pointie-loli.png (189KB, 439x545px) Image search: [Google]
pointie-loli.png
189KB, 439x545px
ahh this is schadenfreude at it's finest, started seeing multiple shill threads these past couple weeks when I didn't even know what the fuck this game really was and where it came from and then boom it fucking sucks

and to rub even more salt to the wound prey was actually fucking great while a lot of people here kept shitting on it or saying it's generic or whatever other buzzword for the tortanic meme

so to summarize /v/ was wrong again, surprising absolutely nobody
>>
randomly generated meme strikes again
>>
>>376521406

/v/ was mad about prey not being prey 2 so everyone wanted to hate it. the problem with strafe is that the game advertises fast-paced quake-like gameplay when in actuality its just a backpedal simulator.
>>
>>376521406
>a lot of people here kept shitting on prey
Don't know what time zone or parallel universe you live in but in my experience /v/ praised it as the next Half-Life.
>>
>>376521364
if it's so good why arent you playing it right now?
>>
>>376521917

because when i tried to pick up an exploding barrel it exploded right in my face as soon as i touched it, this happened twice in a row and i died. the game is fun but obviously still in development, which is why i refunded the game and pirated it instead.
>>
boring ai, fall damage, that fucking orange goop that makes the floor lava
>>
>>376518403
>make a shooter
>all weapon are dissatisfying dogshit
wew
>>
>>376522256
Fucking this

It's amazing how many recent shooters have mediocre-at-best gunplay
>>
>>376518403
they put all their kickstarter money into marketing instead of developement
>>
>>376518403
Nothing
>>
>>376522391
17th post best post
>>
>>376522248

the fall damage and gamefuel damage are both pretty minimal and you can get items that prevent both.
>>
>>376518403
>hipster pixel graphics
>shitty guns
>procedural generated maps

It's like they wanted this game to fail no matter what.
>>
>Make shitty FPS roguelike in Unity
>Market it as "REMEMBER 90S SHOOTERS!?" to attract all the desperate, old Doom/Quake/Unreal fans

Just remember kids, you don't need a good game to make money. Just a decent marketing pitch, and a game that vaguely resembles that marketing pitch.

If all else fails, make a meme game with barely any work and pirated asset packs, and put it up on Steam for $4.20. People will be pretty much obliged to buy it as a joke gift for their friends, giving you money in the process.
>>
There's potential, but for now it's not what I would call a good videogame
>>
>Win a code for free Strafe during strafecon stream
>excited af to play
>feels like dogshit
>can't hear enemies coming up from behind
>no health fucking anywhere except once a level
>just go back to playing Brutal Doom 64

I was pretty disappoint
>>
>>376523246
>Playing Brutal anything

Oh look, we have a casual.
>>
>>376521406
>strafe shills gonna shill
>/v/ was wrong
wut
>>
>>376519152

Exactly this. I knew it looked too good to be true, and devs were gonna blew it somehow, but I sure wasn't expecting them getting every single thing apart from graphics wrong. It's actually quite amazing how they managed to do that.
>>
>>376522560
You failed to mention
>Unity Engine
The engine that makes every shitty indie game run like its a AAA shitty console port
>>
>>376523319
Ok. What would you suggest I play
>>
>>376523496
wad with thousand revenants of course
>>
>>376518403
>1996
It looks good af for a game its age
>>
>>376521406
Prey is pretty shit though. Just feels like a poor man's System Shock.

And I mean, it's made by Arkane, the masters of making poor man's versions of better games.

At least it runs well, I'll give it that much.
>>
File: LinkCoffee.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
LinkCoffee.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>376523604
>>
>>376519270
Pirate it
>>
>>376523646
Name one game with more satisfying first person melee combat than Dark Messiah that came out before it.
>>
>>376523246
>Brutal Doom
No, I think Strafe is the perfect game for (You).
>>
>>376518403

"Walk Backwards" wasn't anywhere as near as catchy a title.
>>
>>376523496
Final doomer, smooth doom, beautiful doom, Project MSX, Psychic, Demonsteele.
>>
>>376523646
>>376523774

and name one game with more satisfying spellcasting than arx fatais
>>
File: 1444251830026.png (3KB, 169x181px) Image search: [Google]
1444251830026.png
3KB, 169x181px
>>376523956
I should give Arx Fatalis a proper play through one of these days. God damn it
>>
>>376523774
>Dark Messiah
>Press the kick key to win
>"Satisfying"
>>
File: 1490375186877.jpg (35KB, 400x542px) Image search: [Google]
1490375186877.jpg
35KB, 400x542px
was playing AoE 2 the past few days and totally forgot about this.

what was so bad about it, i thought it looked fun?
well, i guess you all thought the same.
>>
>>376524063

>the kick is good so that means i have to use it all the time
>>
Literally meme game. For maximum meme effect turn on “Make Strafe Look Worse" option. Fucking clusterfuck of a game.
>>
>>376524063
Some levels don't have any hole to drop enemies in, dumbass
>>
>>376518403
advertising / product mismatch

like what they did with NMS
>>
>>376524125
I didn't think it looked fun. I think it looked like a generic shooter made in Unity that had cringe worth "REMEMBER HOW SHOOTERS USED TO BE!?" marketing.

I knew it was going to be a flop when it came out.
>>
I tried to play FEAR for the first time today, and the whole things is just the worst military babysitter imaginable, but with ghost-tier jump scares and a few 1990 tier blood stains

I get that it's atmospheric, and thats cool when you're young...but holy shit how can people play these spray gun vs soldiermans games, they're so fucking bland

Dishonored was unforgivably bad, but you can tell just by looking at arx fatalis that the level designers actually gave a fuck. If it's half as good as DMOMM, it will be worth it.
>>
>>376524651
Try hitting slowmo more often, get the shotgun, and don't hesitate to jumpkick soliders.
>>
>>376523246
literally nothing wrong with Brutal Doom per se, or it's hot younger sister Project Brutality as long as you don't revere like it's a mod above all other mods
>>
>>376524651
The atmosphere isn't why people love FEAR. It's well liked because the guns are satisfying and it still to this day has god tier enemy squad-based AI.
>>
How the fuck do I proceed to the next level?
>>
>>376526357
Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
>>
>>376526641
I kill every enemy that I can find and all I get is an empty level
>>
>>376526787
Gotta keep on keeping on, know what I'm saying?
>>
>>376525027
No it doesn't.

The AI is just scripted shit, all they really do different is calling out what they're planning on doing next. It wasn't revolutionary or even good ,at that.
>>
>>376518403
PROCEDURALLY GENERATED
>>
>>376526839
Frick off
>>
It took too many elements from serious sam without understanding what makes serious sam good. Also, its entire marketing is based around "muh 90's game", white it isnt even close, design wise.
>>
nuPrey seems decent but it sure as shit isn't 50 or 60 bucks decent. I don't understand the hype around this game. Is it a game that is boring to watch but fun to play?
>>
>>376526862
actually it is
youre just playing it on easy mode because youre a bitch nigga
>>
>>376526880
This

Procedural generation shouldn't be used as a crutch. Just design some fucking levels
>>
>>376523496
The wad that the cyriak dude made
>>
>>376518403
some of the worst sounding weapons ever
also you literally only use one save for a couple seconds when you find a weapon off the ground with 10 ammo
>>
>>376523496
doom 64 ex
>>
>>376523956

Arx Fatalis had fucking awful spellcasting.

>all the spells are shit besides levitate and fireball
>the sign recognition is terrible
>any spell that isn't low level is worthless because you get so little mana
>>
The biggest problem is they spent their time to marketed it as the true experience of a 1996 fps but it's totally not.

It's like Bulletstorm where they marketed it as old skool but it's not. The difference is that Bulletstorm dev able to make competent shit, while Strafe dev couldn't do shit properly. Shooting is just feels wrong (gun spread, really?), Randomly generated levels with no sense of actual level designs, shitty enemies, and glitches. Everything about is just wrong, which is fine if they didn't totally marketed is a game that came out from 1996.

Immortal Redneck is a much better game, really. That game wasn't perfect and not even great, but it achieves something and managed to did things right compared to this turd. And, without any pretentiousness of the game being old school and for hardcore gaymers only.

At least the trailer and the package is good.
>>
I'm ok with it but seriously they need patch this thing yesterday
>>
>>376523956
Get fucked, spellcasting in arx was a goddamn chore
fucking harry potter games had better spellcasting than arx
>>
File: 1429583079701.jpg (157KB, 610x966px) Image search: [Google]
1429583079701.jpg
157KB, 610x966px
>>376518403
I dont know, im not claiming I can do better but I know if I was in a position of making an FPS like this I would attempt to not make common sense misteps like reloading, mechanically shallow enemies, weak guns, and waves of the most common enemies being fucking retarded. Like, if you spend two years plus with a project and you know it inside out, how does that shit slide? Not excusable.
>>
>>376521406
Prey wasn't great, but it was solid. Tried to capture the spirit of System Shock but managed to do it only in certain parts. Solid try, waiting for next installment which will hopefully fix all the issues.
>>
>>376528574
>>376530281

>i didnt practice making signs so i spent the entire game fucking up my spells
>>
>>376523246
>Brutal Doom 64
Shit, it's out?
Bye /v/
>>
>>376518403
The list of problems is too great to bother. Basically the weapons suck, the enemies aren't satisfying to fight, the levels are boring, it's a nostalgia cash-grab made on unity. Game is crap, not even worth pirating IMO.
>>
>>376518403
>what went wrong
It's not Immortal Redneck
>>
>Step 1: Earn more money than you can manage becasue of an admittedly good trailer you made
>Step 2: Start investing time, effort and money into flashy trailers, since all evidence points to people liking trailers
>Step 3: Forget that you're actually making a videogame that people are going to be interacting with
>Step 4: Release a poorly thought out, buggy and ultimately mediocre game
>Step 5: Go into damage control because you can't handle critcism
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.