[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is character creator a cancer of rpg genre?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1492628130775.jpg (414KB, 937x1494px) Image search: [Google]
1492628130775.jpg
414KB, 937x1494px
Is character creator a cancer of rpg genre?
>>
No, you turbonigger. Get the fuck out of my hobby you waste of space. Kill yourself.
>>
Character Creation has it's place but it's vastly overhyped. You sacrifice a ton for it to work.

Games like the Witcher and many JRPG's prove there is tremendous strength in having pre-set MC's in RPG's. More games need haircutting options though.
>>
>>376503318
Is shitposting faggot OP a cancer of /v/?
>>
>>376503318
what game?
>>
>>376503804
puyo puyo tetris edition
>>
>>376503804

ffxiv: a realm reborn: heavensward: stormblood
>>
>>376503804
FFXIV
>>
>>376503318
If your RPG doesn't have a character creator or at least some sort of MC customization I'm much less inclined to play it

Character creation is the fucking bomb
>>
>>376503318
less is more tends to be the rule
I much rather have the choice to pick between a few sylised presets, maybe changing a few things, and having the game aknowledge my character than being able to control a character that looks one way to me and generic hero to the game
>>
Fixed character with lots of appearance customization is the best way.
>>
>>376503980
>spending 3 hours moving shit around to make the perfect protagonist only to play the game in first person or stare at his back and helmet the entire game is the bomb
how about you learn how to do creative stuff for real like drawing instead of forcing that shit on everyone else?
>>
>>376503318
Don't mind character creation so long as the character has a fucking personality and isn't just a lazy self insert.
>>
>>376504156
I want the character I play to look cool fuck off
>>
>>376503318
>Playing a role is the cancer of the rpg genre.

KYS OP.
>>
File: laughing intensifies.jpg (258KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
laughing intensifies.jpg
258KB, 1920x1080px
>>376504156
Even RPG's in first-person still let you zoom out and see your own character. Also taking screenshots and sharing characters is fun. I like seeing stuff made by other people, and can be a good laugh.
>>
>>376503318
This is such a ridiculous statement I'm pretty sure you only posted it to justify posting that picture.
>>
>>376504189
Is being afraid of drinking anything that was served by another person counts as a personality?
>>
>>376504343
Or maybe you just need to play more games, faggot?
When fucking in the dragon's dogma we have shit like little girl is the only one who has a balls to take sword against dragon
Or her giant(compared to her) childhood friend trying to cover behind her
>>
How do I get a rural man to offer his daughter to me IRL?
>>
File: fallout-architecture-wasteland.jpg (133KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fallout-architecture-wasteland.jpg
133KB, 640x480px
>>376503318
Lack of character customization is only acceptable if the game was too old to accommodate it at the time, like Fallout 1/2. And even then it was zoomed out and vague enough to leave some room for imagination.
>>
>>376504497
I fail to see the problem.

Oh no, you can choose not to take the game seriously. That's your fucking problem.
>>
>>376504497
>little girl is the only one who has a balls to take sword against dragon

Nigga that sounds like a fuckin disney movie I'd watch

scenario like >>376503318 happen because devs didn't make special dialog based on character appearance, but there's nothing really stopping them from doing that if they wanted to.

some games do it in a very basic way, like knowing which sex your character is instead of just referring to them as The Protagonist in every sentence. the same sort of thing could easily be made to work for other parts of character customization.

let's say your character's race comes from a part of the world where everyone has snow white hair, but you gave yours brown hair. there might be an NPC who notices this oddity and says how strange it is, or asks you about it.

problem is, the more options there in the customization then the more work devs have to do to accommodate them throughout the game. which is a strength of a fixed character Geralt, where he's always this grizzled dude with white hair, gold eyes and a big ol' scar across his eye.
>>
>>376504361
>he hasn't done the DRK questline
>>
>>376503318
Yes.
Picking a class should be enough. And I've always prefered a good chara-design instead of those bullshit editors.
>>
File: 1494102857255.png (272KB, 481x354px) Image search: [Google]
1494102857255.png
272KB, 481x354px
>>376505518
Wish I didn't
>>
>>376503318
I really don't see the mass appeal of it, but I don't see it as a hindrance either.

Mass Effect handled it the best, gave you some solid options and had a high quality default face that was actually modeled after a person.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.