[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was he only an interesting character when you're hearing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 14

Why was he only an interesting character when you're hearing about his actions rather than playing as him? Why does he seem so much more intelligent and calculated when you hear about the Mandalorian War and Jedi Civil War and its aftermath. When you're actually playing as him you don't really feel like you're the leader who won victory after victory against the Mandalorians like everyone said you did. The dialogue choices you're given just don't really represent it.

Then when you hear about the stuff he did between KOTOR 1 and 2 he still seems much more interesting than the character you actually play as in KOTOR 1. Then TOR comes along and he is a little bitch but we will pretend that never happened.
>>
i cant remember the KOTOR games at all other than liking them a lot

is TOR the star wars mmo? if it is i have played it and its absolute garbage
>>
>player created character
>narratively strong character
pick only one
>>
>>376484356
It's this crazy thing called "role playing game"
Also, your memory is somewhat wiped prior to KOTOR so your military prowess is gone
>>
>>376484356
KOTOR 1s lore and story is dogshit, all the KOTOR 2 is the only reason any of the 1 characters are good.
>>
>>376484356
Because KOTOR1 was written by Bioware and KOTOR2 by Obsidian.
>>
Because they gave him a shit story in kotor and made him a pussy, even though lore wise he's a badass.

>Gets pussy whipped
>Becomes good guy because it's the good thing to do
Pretty much kotor and Revan lore past kotor is trash
>>
>mod kotor
>play about 14 hours
>have great time
>leave for the weekend
>come back, go to sleep
>wake up go to work
>come back and go to launch it
>it just says "running" then "syncing" then it stops
i just wanna finish my playthrough man
>>
>>376484356
Because they brainwiped him. They turned him into a blank slate.
>>
>>376484540
Yes but most the dialogue options you're given as Revan make you seem like a bumbling cuck or a roided up retard. Revan was said to be a genius and none of the dialogue options or choices you're given reflect that. Compare that to your dialogue options in KOTOR 2 as Meetra Surik. You speak like you were actually a general who fought in the Mandalorian Wars, people in your crew respect you for that and you can choose how your character reacts to their past in the war. Compare that to when you find out you're Revan in KOTOR 1 and it's basically "I'm not Revan anymore guys!" and "YES IT IS I THE DARK LORD RETURNED, BOW TO ME"
>>
>>376484567
That's a terrible opinion not even obsidian shares.
>>
>>376484356
Because Chris Avellone is a better writer than Drew Karpyshyn. Drew knows this too, which is why he shat on the Exile in TORtanic
>>
>>376484747
You sound 14, but you should know better at that age. He didn't get pussy-whiped, he got his brain fucked clean. The fact that he managed to recover from a full mind-wipe is all the testament you need of his power.
Also he didn't "become a good guy because hurr durrh hrrgh" he was fighting for the republic all along. Even when he started the jedi civil war he was doing it to prepare the republic against the true sith. He had to get the star forge and spank Malak regardless of his own intentions.
>>
>>376485403
>Even when he started the jedi civil war he was doing it to prepare the republic against the true sith
Citation needed.

How is destroying the Republic's fleets and crippling their worlds preparing them.
>>
File: 1406756064855s~1.jpg (11KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1406756064855s~1.jpg
11KB, 249x250px
If, hypothetically, KOTOR 3 was to be made, how would /v/ like the combat system to be?

I can't help but notice the RNG aspect of the combat seems outdated, specially with ranged and melee attacks missing half of the time, but with the RNG removed, how would you balance force powers into a system that doesn't take into account attribute checking?
>>
>>376485356
Chris Avellone loved the original KotOR. Obsidian showed nothing but reverence for the original game in The Sith Lords.
You mouthbreathers aren't getting cool points for shitting on the first one, it was a great story with well written characters, probably the best Bioware ever managed to put together besides Mass Effect 1.
>>
>>376485119
>the correct opinion is terrible
Typical /v/ response.
>>
>>376485494
[citation needed]
Play the fucking games, you shit.
>>
>>376485538
>I can't help but notice the RNG aspect of the combat seems outdated
This is why you need to stop having opinions, you're an embarrassment. The way they integrated dice rolls in real time was beautiful. If you want mass effect set in star wars you can fuck off.
>>
>>376485639
>The attention-begging opinion is the correct because it's mine
Obsidian loved the first game and tried to honor it as much as humanly possible. You? You just need a hug.
>>
>>376485883
>being this assmad about being objectively wrong in comparison to my greatness
Not surprised desu
>>
>>376485538
Kill yourself
>>
>>376485635
Yeah, Kotor 1 was good. Kotor 2 has better writing. Now fuck off.
>>
>>376484356
Cause you weren't really playing as the same person
>>
>>376485924
>lol u mad
I'm trying to discuss the game, try to focus for 5 minutes and stay on topic. Ritalin usually helps.
>>
>>376486129
>I'm trying to discuss the game
There's nothing to discuss, as you clearly are capable of reading I've given the correct opinion. No more can be discussed.
>>
>>376485538
>but with the RNG removed, how would you balance force powers into a system that doesn't take into account attribute checking?

Considering how powerful the direct damage force powers are even when enemies are succeeding their saving throws towards the end of the game, you don't need to balance shit. You're a space wizard; just make it so your powers always work unless you're fighting another space wizard, who naturally has some innate resistances to them.
>>
>>376485403
In the lore he was able to survive a fight against the greatest light saber duelist in existence and one of the strongest Sith to ever live.

You're going to tell me that Bastilla and three randoms were enough to take him down just because Malik made the ground wobble a bit?
Fuck off.

>He was fighting for the republic all along.
No he wasn't, Revan was a conqueror until he lost his personality.
"Revan The Butcher" did awful acts during the war and took countless amounts of lives.

> 1. "In those unknown regions of space, on Dromund Kaas, Revan and Malak came face to face with the long hidden Sith Empire and its Emperor. Thus, having already embraced the seductive Sith teachings he encountered at the Trayus Academy on Malachor V, Revan's induction into their traditions was finally completed. Bid by his newfound master to acquire the Star Forgeā€”a superweapon of the Infinite Empire, on his behalf, Revan successfully tracked down the last Rakatan Star Maps required to reveal its location. Upon securing the ancient space station, however, he returned to the civilization he had left behind openly as Darth Revan, proclaiming himself to be the Dark Lord of the Sith. Commanding the continued obedience of many veterans of the Mandalorian Wars, and alongside the man who was now his Sith apprentice, Darth Malak, Revan betrayed the Jedi, turned against the Republic, and plunged the known galaxy into the Jedi Civil War."
You can read more through the books or the wiki itself in which he was always Dark from the start and only after he got brainwashed did he "See the light"

Stop talking about shit you don't know and don't rely on a cringe insult like "you're 14 lol and hur durrh"
Also the MMO is cancer just like you.
>>
>tfw there are 2 unnamed and unannounced Star Wars games set to appear at E3 this year
>One by Visceral games
>Star Wars game by bioware according to leak, though it isn't KOTOR
>Battlefront 2 EA looks alright, but only if they deliver on all of their promises of lots of customization, space battles, and three era's - Clone Wars, Empire, First Order, etc.

im interested in the Visceral Games game, but the Bioware one is gonna be trash

i love star wars man, i just wish we had more vidya of it
>>
>>376486174
Has throwing hissy fits ever won you an argument? I guess it's time to switch strategies, boy.

The first KotOR is a better game in general terms, by means of being a finished one. The second game had better dialogue and characters and managed to expand upon the first, but it was still an unfinished game which reused a ton of assets. Every planet from 1 reused in 2 had cut out areas and was reduced in NPCs and scope. Without the restorations we wouldn't even have proper closure for the story, and stuff like the droid planet is still lost forever.
>>
>>376486457
I'm sorry anon but it's clear you're too angry to be objective, that's fine, we all get like that from time to time, but it's important to remember you're talking to your better. So next time be respectful of those better than you.
>>
>>376485538
To be honest, my dream game would be Kotor + Jedi Knight. However, I think the RNG combat could work if the game was properly markeyed as a throwback like Pillars of Eternity was. Even Dragon Age Origin is only 6 years old, and was a hit. There is still a market for it, just not the "COD audience." Since the licence is held by EA, they would probably ditch the d20 combat and make it a AAA third person action game like Mass Effect, if they ever made it at all. I dont onow what the Dragon Age sequels did, but tge game may come out like those as well.
>>
>>376486345
>You're going to tell me that Bastilla and three randoms were enough to take him down just because Malik made the ground wobble a bit?
>Fuck off.
Eat shit, he got shelled from a fucking spaceship without warning. He didn't see it coming.
Again, you're not cool for shitting on the first game, get over it.
As for the rest of your post, I guess you missed every conversation KotOR II. You should do a speedrunning video.
>>
>>376486345
>You're going to tell me that Bastilla and three randoms were enough to take him down just because Malik made the ground wobble a bit?
>Fuck off.
He was knocked unconscious/wounded from the blast from Malaks Ship.
>>
>>376486551
Here's another (You)
>>
>>376484356
His mind was wiped to make a blank slate for the player to role play. He is not the same man who conquered the Mandalorians.
>>
>>376486669
Hey anon it's okay. We all get to this point sometimes where you can't win an argument so you have to resort to petty namecalling and non-sequitors. You'll get better.
>>
>>376486669
>>376486823

Both of you are shitting up this thread
>>
>>376486903
How dare you reply to me
>>
File: Ahsoka_rebels_2.png (323KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ahsoka_rebels_2.png
323KB, 720x1080px
>>376484356
Reverse gripping a lightsaber still has to be one of the most retarded things you can do with one
>>
The simple answer is that you simply are not presented with dialogue options that reflect what a cold, reserved and calculating leader would choose to say in the situations you are thrust into most of the time.

Plot Revan is a shadow looming over the Republic that very little is known of, only that he did great things. Character Revan is very excitable and very enthusiastically and emphatically states his opinions on everything.
>>
>>376485114
Anon that's because you weren't Revan after the mindwipe. You literally became a bumbling doofus thanks to the council.

Even after you got powerful again you still didn't have all your memories back.
>>
>>376484356
Because Kotor 1 Revan was just an OP Jedi, who happened to be good at tactics, and turned to the dark side for generic reasons. It was Kotor 2 that made Revan into a nuanced character.
>>
>start kotor 2
>not even off the first planet
>stop playing due to studies
>try to go back and continue where I left off 3 months ago
>can't remember fuck all of what I did previously

This is one of those games you have to play consistently to keep all the lore in your head otherwise you forget it all.
>>
>>376486823
>We all get to this point sometimes where you can't win an argument
Yeah, that's when you start avoiding the topic and crying. What a faggot.
>>
>>376486348
Unfortunately I think we've entered the dark age of Star Wars games since the acquisition of the IP by EA. We'll see how This second EA Battlefront is, but my hopes are low. All I want is JK3, man. That's all I'm hoping for.
>>
>>376486941
Still not as bad as making a whip out of it
>>
>>376487141
Exactly, see, you're already self reflecting on your failings and trying to be a better person. I'm proud of you anon. This is some real progress.
>>
>tfw want cool discussion about KOTOR and the lore of that era
>Thread is immediately shitted up by Obsidian vs Bioware/Bethesda retards

Every time. I prefer Obsidian games more too but jesus christ you fan boys are so fucking annoying and obnoxious.
>>
>>376487292
No one even likes Star Wars anyway
>>
File: inquisitor lightsaber.webm (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitor lightsaber.webm
1MB, 960x540px
>>376487165
>Lightwhips

You are smalltime
>>
>>376487187
>Exactly, see, you're already self reflecting
You can't discuss the game at hand for two posts straight. ADD must be a bitch.
>>
File: Ape escape.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ape escape.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>376487327
>>
Until you understand both sides of the character his actions will seem mysterious, you were operating with only one side (light or dark) when he defied both categories. The player is meant to identify with Carth's thoughts in Kotor 2 because of this, you have a periphery understanding of his motivations. Kreia tells the truth.
>>
>>376487337
Anon, there's no point in trying to attack me, you're clearly in a very fragile state right now. Try to sleep and take a real hard look at yourself when you wake up. Trust me, you'll get through this.
>>
I've played a bit of KOTOR1 but hated the gameplay.
Is there any salvation in 2 or should I just give up? I really like the story/lore
>>
>>376487584
Nope you're fucked.

If you really want to rush through it though, play Darkside Counsular and Force Lightning/Plague the fuck out of everything.
>>
>>376487395
god damn this show is so stupid and yet its canon
>>
>>376487327
This wouldn't be anywhere near as satisfying to watch if it wasn't for the completely stupid smug self-satisfaction on his face
>>
>>376487584
It's exactly the same gameplay with a few minute additions. If you're that annoyed by it you can just cheat, or make an OP build whatever, there are numerous ways around it.
>>
>>376487292
It's mostly just those two arguing. I think both Kotor II and Obsidian are better than Kotor I and old school Bioware, mostly because if the qualoty of writing and dialogue, but that doesn't mean that I don't like both.
>>
>>376485114
Meetra Surik isn't my Exile.
>>
>>376487584
You can use cheats. The combat is pretty much the same. If you're autistic enough, you can read this let's play that's pretty good

https://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/
>>
>>376487510
I come here to discuss games. You come here because your parents can't afford a babysitter.
>>
File: Nati.jpg (5KB, 152x225px) Image search: [Google]
Nati.jpg
5KB, 152x225px
What if Revan was actually a bumbling retard all along?

What if the whole "galactic saviour/conqueror" aspect of his character was just an act so that he would be taken seriously? (Makes sense if one takes into account he wore a mask 24/7)

I mean, rebelling from the Jedi Order so you can start a resistance effort in the wrong end of the galaxy sounds like something a bumbling retard would do.
>>
>>376488178
>I come here to discuss games
You don't though, you come here to argue with people to release your rage. Pretty clear since you can't pay attention to the conversation at hand, but hey. I'm here for you anon. No matter how mad you get.
>>
>>376488047
#NotMyExile
>>
>>376487327
Is that an Utapauan?
>>
>>376488047
Go Space Jesus.
>>
>>376488284
>>376488178
>>376487510
>>376487187
>>376487141
>>
I know that in KOTOR2 after beating both light side and dark side routes you unlock new dialogue options. Does the same happen in KOTOR1?
>>
>>376488467
Wait, what?
>>
>>376488379
>blue
>not going for the snowflake silver lightsaber
>>
>>376488284
>You don't though
I tots do.
>>
File: KOTOR_ExcuseMe.jpg (40KB, 400x228px) Image search: [Google]
KOTOR_ExcuseMe.jpg
40KB, 400x228px
>>376488379
>not going space chappelle
>>
>>376488467
No fucking way.
>>
>>376488535
That is what I did, actually. The Exile is the best kind of snowflake. I love him. I would have killed the galaxy to preserve him.

If you squint, that could be kind-of-sort-of silver.
>>
File: IMG_0548.jpg (399KB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0548.jpg
399KB, 1067x600px
>>376486941
>>
>>376489545
Case in fucking point.
>>
>>376486590
>To be honest, my dream game would be Kotor + Jedi Knight.
that would be pretty great actually.
>>
>>376486941
not as retarded as a lightsabre itself.

>hey guys know the term double edged sword? lets make every single part of the sword deadly

honestly reverse gripping is just as safe as normal grip. it's not like you can actually stab yourself while reverse gripping.
>>
>>376487327
>lightsabres can cut through anything and can block anything
>lets make a rotating shield out of it
>fucking invincible

always wondered why they didn't just make ships have shields made out of lightsabres.
>>
File: tmp_18945-Launcher21555321871.jpg (160KB, 600x561px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_18945-Launcher21555321871.jpg
160KB, 600x561px
>>376488379
Even the guys who made the content mod were for Space Jesus. The one true Exile.
>>
File: Inquisitor BTFO.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Inquisitor BTFO.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>376489841
>fucking invincible

hardly
>>
>>376489886
>could have hurled it around like a heavy shield wall
>could have just wobbled back and forth so it would be hard to stab
>just stands there

It's like puppy kicking but with combat.
>>
ITT: another Oshitian shill thread claiming how they are the greatest story tellers ever yet have never finished a single game.
>>
>>376489885
Who is that red head, I haven't played KOTOR 2 in ages.
>>
Revan was mindwiped and brainwashed by the Jedi Council in Kotor1 so any stupidity or inconsistencies can be explained away by waving your hand and saying, "Fucking Jedifags."

Obsidian were the ones who actually wrote him out as a tactical genius who had Foreseen a very dark vision through the Force and set his entire being onto the path of prepare the Galactic Republic to face it. Considering Jedi are a bunch of corrupt, worthless assholes and child kidnappers as canonized by Lucas himself in the prequels it's not exactly surprising their connection to the Force was too shit to gain Force Visions like Revan or the Emperor did.
>>
File: 1459032056280.png (58KB, 475x410px) Image search: [Google]
1459032056280.png
58KB, 475x410px
>>376488790
>>376488535
>>376488379
I went with the green saber.
>>
>>376490182
the obsidian version of twilek jailbait.
>>
Obsidian is literally fedora tier
>>
>>376490293
Revan was a tactical and strategic genius in the first game, Candorous makes a point to saying that most mandalorian commanders respected him and how he conducted war.
>>
>>376490182
Mira Jade. She's less interesting than you'd think for a red head with a rocket launcher on her wrist.
>>
>>376490510
>I don't know what the word Fedora means
>>
>>376490816
Sorry to here that anon.
>>
File: Batman approves..gif (360KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
Batman approves..gif
360KB, 500x420px
>>376490340
>>
This fucking thread reminds me that Revan and the Exile died like bitches.
>>
>>376490563
That is a fantastic explanation for her.
>>
>>376491847
NOT CANON DAMNIT
>>
>>376491915
litterally
none of it's cannon.

and disneys fucking using Kotor story for the new starwars.
>>
>>376493172
The main trilogy? Howso?
>>
>>376493309
All of EU is non-cannon

like seriously all of it.
it's absurd.
>>
>>376484356
Objectively the best build is a Scout 8 / Consular 12 with 10/14/12/14/14/14. Raising anything above a 14 has diminishing returns and lowers the overall stat pool. Less than a 14 Intelligence might as well be a 10, and we know Revan had a lot of good skills like Awareness and Repair (creating HK and all). All the LS Jedi gear significantly bumps Wisdom, Charisma and Dexterity anyhow.
>>
>>376493338
I mean how is Disney using the Kotor story
>>
>>376493504
That's my favorite build too. If you were going to take Implants anyhow, the Scout ends up with as many feats as a Soldier, but way more skills and much better saves. Of course, it's a toss-up between Sentinel and Consular though. I love the immunities for Sentinel, it makes you feel like the invincible Revan, but you can't go wrong with the raw Force power of Consular which is also canonically true of Revan.
>>
>>376493649
rey is secretly reven.

Theres a lot of stuff but I don't have the list and it's more than just kotor.
>>
>>376484356
>Why was he only an interesting character when you're hearing about his actions rather than playing as him?
Because they only hint at his abilities, which doesn't rely on their ability to portray them. He was also always compared to the inexplicable and complete ineptitude of everyone else during the war.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.