[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this game revolutionary?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg (104KB, 256x295px) Image search: [Google]
Demon's_Souls_Cover.jpg
104KB, 256x295px
Was this game revolutionary?
>>
Maybe, but I'm not willing to play all the games this might have taken things from to find out.
>>
>>376474676
Not really, but it did increase popular demand for more difficult games.
>>
>>376478053
Not even really difficulty just less hand holding and quest markers every two feet.
>>
Without this game Dark Souls would never have existed. "Demon's Souls" was a terrible name for the marketing of the game, so they changed to "Dark Souls"... sad because I like Demons Souls way more
>>
>>376474676
If you play EG and Er on ps2 you cansee how des came about after their ps1 games.

Honestly EG has a lot of similarities in movement and stamina management in combat. No dodge or shields so its just a lot of sprinting and waiting to get them power attacks.
>>
>>376479309
adding to this, the asynchonous online and tendencies were pretty novel for a console game so you can say that it was in a way

async online probably the most
>>
It had amazing ideas and I really do think if made an impact. Nothing else quite like it had been made. It draws comparison to godhand, Zelda and castlevania, but none of those are demon's souls.
>>
>>376478306
No, they changed the name because demon's souls is owned by sony and dark souls is owned by Bandai Namco. Legal distinction bro.
>>
>>376474676
Not really. Despite the memes about a game being the "Dark Souls of x series", there's really nothing like it on the market.
>>
>>376479908
Even Nier automata copies the bloodstains started by Demons Souls in the form of bodies you find all over the place.
The asynchronous online components are more noticeable in games these days than you think.
>>
>>376474676
Not sure if I would call it revolutionary. It helped devs to wake up and realize people didn't actually want 3 hour tutorials and constant hand holding. But not many games copied its level design and mechanics.
>>
>>376474676
play Vagrant Story faggot
>>
>>376474676
It revolutionised shitty game design
>>
>>376474676
No it was shit
>>
>>376474676
Demon's Souls was just a faster-paced King's Field, a franchise that debuted in 1994. Nothing in it is particularly new or revolutionary within its own franchise, much less video games in general.
>>
>>376474676
Sorta. DeS is inspired by Shadow Tower, which is inspired by King's Field, all of which are made by FROM. In that sense it's evolutionary, but because those game were relatively unknown and due to the climate of the market, it did a bunch to transform the industry. Much like how GeoW transformed shooters, despite RE4 and those two other games, name escapes me - Kill Switch?, coming before it first. It's extremely influential.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.