[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which game redefined Open World more?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: witcher botw.jpg (534KB, 1374x1144px) Image search: [Google]
witcher botw.jpg
534KB, 1374x1144px
>>
neither, both are as shit as other open worlds
>>
Skyrim did more than both.

It may make you angry, but it's true.
>>
>>376469409
Every game that comes out doesn't need to "redefine" what it is.

It just needs to be a game that is fun thanks to the developers putting love and care into their game, which both succeeded at.
>>
Horizon.
>>
>>376469409
With the witcher, I really feel like in the world.
Maybe more than with Skyrim.
>>
>>376469827
fpbp
>>
>>376469868
Skyrim is the most boring game i've even played, there's like 2-3 dungeons in the entire game that are actually good
>>
>>376469868
Hi toddy boy
Never get bored of telling lies huh
>>
>>376470104
Sold more than TW3 and BOTW so it's better.
>>
>>376469409
Why don't you post the real score?
>>
File: 1486915792060.png (197KB, 591x462px) Image search: [Google]
1486915792060.png
197KB, 591x462px
Horizon: Zero Dawn 2bh
>>
>>376470312
He scared lol. In a few years critics will catch up to it being s good Zelda game but nothing outstanding or revolutionary. Also boring weapons degradation all the criticism that was silenced at its launch time.
>>
File: 9sUCR4j.jpg (293KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
9sUCR4j.jpg
293KB, 1600x900px
Both barely did anything, no game from the last decade has really revolutionised open worlds, the last was maybe oblivion with its pick-up-anything physics engine within an open world
>>
>>376470203
>Was forced more with advertising and shills than TW3 and BOTW so it is better
Sure thing toddy boy
>>
>>376470203
xd
>>
File: cockblocked.gif (4MB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
cockblocked.gif
4MB, 204x204px
>>376469409
All Witcher did was make sidequest feel slightly less like wastes of time with story incentive. Zelda is totally lacking in reward and enemy variety, with unintuitive upgrading, and a combat system ruined by instant heal food. BUT it is literally the only open world game I have ever played where traversing the world itself doesn't feel like a complete waste of my fucking time and I genuinely enjoyed getting to each tower and at least half the shrines. In that regard, it's a good tech demo for something we might get in the future. It "redefined" open world to me by showing me open world didn't need to mean garbage.
>>
>>376470536
I seriously hate people like you. Oblivion is shallow as fuck, only being beat as even more shallow via Skyrim.
>>
File: 1451011138958.png (105KB, 325x314px) Image search: [Google]
1451011138958.png
105KB, 325x314px
>>376470183
Todd? Who is Todd?
That's my honest opinion, don't try to change topics.
>>
>>376471443
.l.
>>
Gothic, but then everyone else shit all over the genre.
>>
Neither redefined. They're just "another one of those".

Except Zelda's world is rather barren of landmarks/details.
>>
File: GOTY2017.png (922KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
GOTY2017.png
922KB, 1400x1050px
>>376469409
If you're a storyfag who prefer a vidya with muh story and shitty gameplay tacked on it, you'd say TW3.

Otherwise, BOTW takes the cake here. The sheer amount of details put into its carefully handcrafted open world is staggering and can't be matched by any recent open world RPG. It easily makes TW3 looks like cinematic experience steamy pile of turds.
>>
>>376469409
The big thing Witcher 3 did involved tools for content generation, it dramatically raised the bar for cinematic characters in an open world game with hundreds of voiced characters and that massive library of canned animations really go a long way to make the characters seem more alive and less stiff.

The big thing BotW did was designed a game where the character could quite literally climb just about anything and go anywhere from very early in the game. It also innovated in interactivity making various states interact in interesting yet logical ways, like the various things you can do with temperature, electricity, wind, magnetism, ect.

Both are about even in their expansion of Open World games, neither really redefined it. They're also a good counterpoint to one another because where Witcher 3 really excelled with it's cinematic presentation of it's characters Zelda's characters were these really shallow husks that felt like they came from a 10 year old game, while Zelda was super interactive Witcher 3 required nearly every interaction to be hand scripted, you couldn't shoot a crossbow bolt and then walk over and pick it up in Witcher 3 and a Crossbow bolt isn't going to float on the water tops.
>>
Skyrim
>>
>>376470312
That IS the real score. Jim Sterling is a lying cuck with a blatant anti-Nintendo bias, his "review" is worthless.
>>
name a game with more detail, dialogue, and content in its open world than Witcher 3

I'll wait
>>
skyrim was more innovative and simply a better video game than both
>>
File: 1494305637826.jpg (21KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494305637826.jpg
21KB, 640x480px
>>376472239
>Time
>theguardian
>Kotaku
>Polygon
>IGN
>Nintendo Insider
>nintendolife

>>376469409
Neither really. Nothing fresh or amazing about them, one was just an refinement of the formula, the other was just being able to traverse more shit with the tools you have.
>>
>>376474389
No it is literally inferior to both while also being a buggy, borderline unplayable piece of shit. The game world is inferior to both, the combat is inferior to both, the writing is vastly inferior to TW3, the exploration and controls AND overall mobility of your character are vastly inferior to BotW, the interactivity with the world and dumb shit you can play around with is also inferior to BotW and to top it all off it's uglier than both games on a technical level (TW3) and in its artstyle (BotW). The music is worse than both as well, even when BotW's soundtrack is subdued vs. previous Zelda games it's still better than the dull bullshit of the Skyrim soundtrack.

I literally can't think of a thing Skyrim does better than TW3 and Zelda other than mods and having more bugs. It's a piece of fucking SHIT as is every Bethesda open-world release and thank fucking christ Zelda saved us from that goddamn trash.
>>
>>376469409
If BoTW don't have Zelda in the title, all the people hate it, because don't contribute or improvement in nothing.
>>
>>376469868
Hey look, something to explore aaaaaaand it full of drauger
>>
>>376469409
Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
>>
>>376469409
The Witcher 3 is good inspite of its open-world, but it does nothing incredible with it, it just filled the respective towns with enough content and made the feel lived in & real.

But the world itself is not much more than set dressing for its characters sometimes
>>
Depends if you're an adult that can handle dark themes or a twelve year old kiddie that likes cartoon graphics.
>>
>>376470447
>A game no one talks about anymore.
Yeah, it sure did stuff right.
>>
>>376474814
Man, I love when someone shitposts so blatant it causes someone to get pissed and go on a well thought out rant.
>>
>>376469409
Neither but they're both good.

I think BotW handles the open world a little bit better though. There's more incentive to explore and taking the HUD off isn't as painful because it's pretty easy to know where you are based on landmarks. They designed the geography of Hyrule so that you almost always have some kind of beacon in the landscape far away to use as a mental compass. In Witcher 3 there's no attention to world detail like that, and it's pretty fucking easy to get completely lost if you take off the HUD.
>>
>>376469827
fpbp
>>
Remake this thread and replace TW3 by GTA 5.

In no way is TW3 revolutionary for open world, it's even pretty conventional in that regard but its also one of the most polished and extensive rpg's so I can see how you consider it revolutionary but its approach to open world isn't the reason.

Now GTA 5 is the game that birthed BOTW.
>>
>>376469409
Witcher 3's world felt just like every AC's world
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.