[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is that game going, anon? You DID work on it today, right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19

File: Engine-images.jpg (67KB, 734x433px) Image search: [Google]
Engine-images.jpg
67KB, 734x433px
How is that game going, anon? You DID work on it today, right?
>>
>>376453602
>That bottom row
Ew
>>
No I went to my real job.
>>
>>376454721
>shoveling burgers to obese americans
what a real fucking job you have.
>>
>>376454801
Nice projection
>>
>>376454879
nah I just want you and everyone else to die.
>>
File: C-TxyzSVwAApveM.jpg (10KB, 195x224px) Image search: [Google]
C-TxyzSVwAApveM.jpg
10KB, 195x224px
>>376453602
what game?
>>
>>376453602
I had one, few years ago. Now video games feel too complicated, too huge.
I was just born 10 years late, but I'll try my best at my real job.
>>
always make your own engine
>>
>>376455035
Plot twist, we all want you to die
>>
>>376453602
I did, tho not too much. Still trying to figure out how to do some things to make them work best I can.
>>
File: Clown_Car.png (170KB, 429x373px) Image search: [Google]
Clown_Car.png
170KB, 429x373px
>>376453602
It's probably been pointed out before but GameSalad looks like the clown car from Mario.
>>
>>376455372
But doesn't making your own engine add a ton of more time it takes? Plus if you don't know alot about programming it's hard to do, even I would not know where to start.
>>
File: hello.png (176KB, 274x416px) Image search: [Google]
hello.png
176KB, 274x416px
I did some work on an inventory system, which required me to make items.

Early stages.
>>
>>376455724
Don't listen to enginefags.
>>
I downloaded the trial for Gamemaker just this weekendout out of curiosity so I'm still following the tutorials and learning basics.

Does it ever go on sale? The trials sprite and object limits are so limiting but i don't want to spend 100 bucks.
>>
>>376455724
Yeah don't listen to that anon he is retarded. There is genuinely zero benefit to building your own engine unless you are fucking Activision or some shit.
>>
Daily reminder that low poly is for lazy ass nodevs.
>>
>>376455968
wheres your game?
>>
>>376455859
I'm about to get to stage where I make my inventory. What engine do you use? I'm using Unreal.
>>
>>376455931
GameMaker 1.4 was on humblebundle twice, it might go on a third time but they're busy with V2 now.
Who knows if 1.4 will ever make an appearance again.
>>
File: paper mario camera v3.webm (2MB, 704x402px) Image search: [Google]
paper mario camera v3.webm
2MB, 704x402px
I've redone my camera for the third time.
Now it should match up with how it's done in TTYD.

I also udated my goomba sprites so they are my own redraws of it rather than full sprite rips. Looks about the same, but now I feel a bit less like a lazy asshole outright stealing work.
>>
>>376457545
what kind of environments are you planning to make?
>>
>>376456086
He posted it anon but he uses hyper realistic 1D graphics so you can't see it
>>
>>376455519
pretty sure everyone wants you dead.

we wouldnt be voting to remove obamacare if we didnt.
>>
I do not like this new thumbnail. Please go back to the old one if you're the anon that usually makes these. If you're not the anon that makes these usually, fuck off and know your role.
>>
>>376457545
Shit, I haven't seen this in months, nice to see you're still working on it.
>>
>>376458785
The current one I've been working on is meant to be the hub, basically the "Rogueport Square" of the game.
The Rogueport equivalent is going to be a big city, with the "Thousand Year Door" type place you keep going back to being the penthouse of the bigass skyscraper that's gonna be in the middle of this starting zone, way above the city so it's basically space as the background.

That's a long ways off though considering this first zone has taken me fucking weeks to make and I don't even have the centerpiece building properly designed yet.
>>
>>376458785
>>376461201
Okay, not sure what was going on, but I couldn't post this as one whole thing, just kept getting "connection error"

Other ideas that I may look into are
>An farming koopa village (equivalent to the usual first chapter plains/koopa area)
>A ghost cruise ship (like, titanic resurfaced)
>A chapter set entirely in a computer (opening windows on the "desktop" and hoping into them to go to new places)
>An institutionalized prison
>An Aztec-like temple (jungle island equivalent like the other games had)
>>
File: black_magic.png (9KB, 580x87px) Image search: [Google]
black_magic.png
9KB, 580x87px
>>376453602
I was going to make one in C++.
But I thought “hey i should make a level editor before”, so I’m making one in Perl6.
But then I thought “hey, I need some scripting in here but fuck lua” so I’m currently making a compiler.
But then I thought “why use binary when there are other numeral systems available to obfuscate the binary” so I’m basically making a virtual processor to handle phinary.

Please let me help escape the circles of guilt
>>
>>376461676
You're going to go around this a dangerous way. Go the other way.
Make something that works until you need a level editor. use that level editor as you can until you hit a limitation. Etc..
t. fell into the same trap
>>
I can't post progress since I all did was add music. I had to build and use 6 distinct libraries with scarse documentation.
I don't know if it was worth it. I think I should have went with something higher level.
>>
>>376462189
desu I’m doing this to learn Perl6 and to test some ideas for a future project.

What’s lscp? this https://github.com/doofuslarge/lscp ?
>>
File: props.png (38KB, 998x634px) Image search: [Google]
props.png
38KB, 998x634px
>>376462462
>https://github.com/doofuslarge/lscp
Nope but what are the chances that I chose a filename that somewhat mirrors a project that also works in more real language.
If you're doing it for learning, then there's no guilt to be had.
But I do suggest taking some notes on what you plan to do with it all, and what you want to work on and learn. Staying self-motivated is very important so be sure to give yourself a good range of stuff to practice on between.
lscp for me is LizardScript which was a scripting I wrote for a Lizard-themed project but I got absolutely carried away writing this script so long I made no actual progress and lost inspiration. Now I'm trying to expand and use it still. Just wanted to offer a word of warning.
>>
File: doubles.jpg (197KB, 1434x890px) Image search: [Google]
doubles.jpg
197KB, 1434x890px
Got 2v2 fully working today except for a couple minor issues. Easier than I thought it would be, though I designed the back-end to support it from the start.
>>
>>376462885
thanks man, I’ll keep it in mind
>>
>>376456131
Same!
>>
>>376453602
Uh oh, I didn't do shit today because I'm seriously lacking sleep.

Give me tips to improve workflow, at least the day won't be lost.
>>
>>376463402
Set up a GitHub account and try to commit at least once a day
>>
File: flower.webm (339KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
flower.webm
339KB, 1280x720px
I added some particles when you create flowers
>>
Progress... always making progress
>>
>>376453602
I hit the trial license limitations on GameMaker Studio and gave up.

Not going to pay $100 when I'm just learning how to make a game, one that most likely won't go anywhere because it's my first shitty game.

I could use some suggestions on something else to try that isn't so limited (20 sprites, really?)
>>
>>376453602
>Flash
Please don't make me laugh.
>>
>>376465113
Memedot if you want 2d, homer.jpg if you want 3d.
>>
My pc just died and I only have this old ass laptop that can't run any games. Can I make my own game with it to kill some time? Or is making games a very cpu/gpu intensive task?
>>
>>376465206
>Memedot if you want 2d, homer.jpg if you want 3d.

Huh? What are these?
>>
>>376465612
you can make simple games in python or something
>>
>>376465612
You can design everything with bare minimum stuff
>>
Did the first draft of some sorta town music.

https://clyp.it/j52wdhyk
>>
We made something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu1WMEWCZzw

>>376457545

Please make Paper Cirno a reality.
>>
>>376467421
no
>>
>>376461427
>Koopa village, Ghost cruise ship, Aztec temple
sounds like some good paper mario stuff
>computer meta world, institute prison
not sure about those, the prison could be a cool place if that goomba mafia is involved
>>
>>376467421
seconded, where did all the devs go that usually post in these threads
>>
>>376469870
working on a new enemy but won't be done until tomorrow
i don't like butting into these threads without fresh material
>>
>>376453602
>Utorrent 4
why would you make a game using utorrent?
>>
I started making a roguelike using SadConsole and RogueSharp. I started to lose motivation when I noticed just how spaghetti and difficult to read my code was getting, even for myself, when trying to design the supporting systems that are supposed to be the infrastructure of the various mechanics. It's seriously demoralizing, how do I de-spaghettify my code?
>>
File: nut.gif (24KB, 128x160px) Image search: [Google]
nut.gif
24KB, 128x160px
>>376469870
I haven't done much in the game that is interesting to post here other than small stuff like >>376464640
we're close to releasing a demo with one world done so there should be more to show Soon™
>>
I work on my game every morning for about 2 hours. I just got into the valley of shitty UI programming and am losing my mind though. Just like surfacing values and stuff in code at a high level. Unity UI work/programming sucks so bad. And it also sucks because I know a lot of the actual UI is temp until I do a real UI pass.

Attaching a semi-recent shot so it isn't all complaining
>>
File: 1404949990836.jpg (389KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1404949990836.jpg
389KB, 1284x980px
>>376465686
Godot and Unity.
>>
>>376453602
Pretty good. Should have worked on it today but I've been slacking.
>>
File: partner list.png (210KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
partner list.png
210KB, 720x480px
>>376466032
I don't touhou enough to be able to make that happen.

>>376468224
Again, they're ideas that are a long way off from being developed.
I took some time a while back to consider potential partners, and made this list, and that's where the ideas came from.
But really, only Gloombob is a finalized idea. The others range from close to being good to "definitely needs a full redo" to "I want this race but don't know what kind of character I'd make them". That's when I realized I was planning too much story stuff too early and had to refocus myself back to engine building.

The computer idea is admittedly more for the meta humor aspect of it, but the prison I think could really work as a unique level involving a different style of narrative the same way Glitz Pit did.
The more modern design would also fit in with how modern a lot of the other ideas I've had so far are.
>>
>>376471965
Monty mole to make holes.
>>
>>376471965
what about a glow in the dark blooper for the ghost cruiseship and have the boss of the area get spooked out by him
>>
>>376462359
Oh whatever. Added a jab, and now adding functional healthbars.
https://a.uguu.se/Q5muq2fWenSo.webm
>>
File: Moleman[1].jpg (25KB, 397x238px) Image search: [Google]
Moleman[1].jpg
25KB, 397x238px
>>376472476
Actually, Monty Moles are gonna be the problem in the first chapter with the amish koopas getting their farms destroyed by them.
Leading to Mario going through a mountain sized molehill to ultimately fight the Monty Mole King.
Literally based most of my idea for the first chapter off of this beta image of Sticker Star back when it was more like original Paper Mario, chain chomp partner included.

>>376472891
That may work. I was kinda thinking of keeping the sea creatures on the boat as actually alive while the other characters are boos or other ghosts.
Someone suggested a pianist blooper on the ship, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to differentiate him from Gloombob since they'd both be wearing suits as their main deal.

I really shouldn't think so much about stuff that I'm so far from getting to working on, but I just can't help it. It's the most fun part honestly.
>>
>>376474135
I need a ShyGuy as a SpyGuy
>>
>>376466032
>Wicce
This looks adorable.
>>
>>376474135
>sea creatures alive rest are ghosts
So they're just a Blooper from the really deep sea who happens to be bio-luminescent, which comes off as spooky.
>>
Still trying to think of how to make it interesting. Maybe I should try something less ambitious first though.
>>
File: villain team.png (114KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
villain team.png
114KB, 720x480px
>>376475686
That's planned.
The last partner there is meant to be a special Spy Guy called Recon Guy, he just looks like shit right now and needs to be remade.

He's actually going to be one I redo relatively soon, because I need him in the prologue chapter.
Recon Guy is going to be the right hand of the game's big bad until some point late in the game where he joins Mario instead. He'll be the boss of the prologue.
Pic related is the current design for the big bad I have, though it may change a bit. Rather than some big evil army, the antagonist is just gonna be a thief woman on the same quest for the mcguffins as mario, with her getting her own partners as the game goes on (for example, the toad there and Recon Guy).
Like, a full on foil to Mario as he adventures.

>>376476331
Huh, maybe. Hadn't thought of making some deep sea things to go with the ghost ship idea.
>>
>>376453602
It was allright until i got to serializables. Can't understand that shit at all in unity. And i already wrote a lot of code with data before, and now after seeing this i think I'll have to rewrite it all just so it can be saved... Man, really a motivation killer.
>>
>>376476628
what about giving the shy guy chameleon power, making him change colors based on where he stands still
also that toad is the only one without a mask
>>
>>376476628
>full foil
Neat, will there be much insight into her side of things besides the main fights? Similar to how we'd get snippets of Peach's capture and such in both original and Door?
What happened to the Ghost Shy Guy Warrior by the by?
>>
>>376453937
What's wrong with Construct?
>>
>>376453602
I would but I have exams tomorrow
>>
File: paper mario interaction.webm (2MB, 924x518px) Image search: [Google]
paper mario interaction.webm
2MB, 924x518px
Might as well post what little things I got done tonight. Added an "interactable" visual (the exlamation mark) and set the hud so it can be called down whenever.

>>376477869
That'd be kinda complex I think. A lot of changing sprite stuff.
If you mean his partner power, currently my idea is that he'd act as a Lens of Truth. He'd go "recon mode" and it'd reveal hidden objects/platforms, whatever.
Like Watt, but without it being as much of a burden. Probably would need other balance though.

>>376477978
Was thinking about that too. I have a plan for what Peach can do between chapters, but not really one for what the villain could do. Still, something I can look into later on. Gotta get a chapter done before I can start really getting into what happens between them.
>Ghost Shy Guy Warrior
I don't know what you're talking about here. I've always wanted to have Recon Guy be a tacticool shy guy.
>>
>>376478673
>I don't know
Well fuck. Turns out there's at least 2 Mario Fangames in the works and under wraps on 4chan.
Well, good luck man.
>>
>>376464640
grass bend is v satisfying
>>
>>376479202
thanks
it's utterly pointless and process-heavy, but it looks neat and I'm glad people seem to like it
>>
>>376480154
when the art is simple, details like that have a much greater value
>>
File: RoboMobonobo.webm (3MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
RoboMobonobo.webm
3MB, 888x500px
I know it's nothing like anyone else has posted in this thread, but this is all I've done. Not working on it or anything, but it was fun to make. Just 1 level.
>>
>tfw can only code
>tfw no motivation to work on anything because I know I lack the design and art skills to make a completed product solo
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.