[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: The rise and fall of one of the best horror game series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: DEDSPlogoPRIMARYcmykLYRD.png (104KB, 610x131px) Image search: [Google]
DEDSPlogoPRIMARYcmykLYRD.png
104KB, 610x131px
ITT: The rise and fall of one of the best horror game series out there. Peaked with 2, died with 3.

What's your favourite Necromorph? Weapon? Scariest Scene? that early game bit in 2 where you hear the kid trapped in the tumble dryer but you can't do shit to get it out except listen
>>
ill never forget the moment when you first entered the church of unitoligy in 2, and watching issac break down after seeing the ishimura again.

two is a rare example of a sequel that i think is inferior as a horror game, but i love it much more thhan its original
>>
>>376450328
>What's your favourite Necromorph?
Exploder
>Weapon?
Plasma Cutter
>Scariest Scene?
probably the first jumpscare while in the elevator

>Peaked with 2
hell no, the original dead space is the best no contest, i would even call it a masterpiece, a flawed masterpiece..
the second was much more action oriented,
its where the game lost its charm.
>>
>>376450328
>necromorph
The regenerating one in 1

>weapon
Line gun all the way

>scariest scene
the eyeball machine in 2
>>
>>376450728
It kind of followed the Alien formula. First was pure horror and suspense whereas 2 was still horror themed but also focused on fighting back more than anything.
>>
>>376450859
2 had better combat and encounter variety.

it lost the backtrackable map tho.

I liked the spaceship graveyard in 3 and some outdoors snowy places.

but everything else a shit
>>
>>376451135
true, but i loved watching the spawl fall apart sslowly around you. they should have played more with the idea of people putting their lifes in issacs hands, even though hes clearly insane
>>
>>376450328
>>376450728
to answer your question, i have literally never played those games with a weapon other then the plasma cutter to completion. all three games i only used one gun.
>>
>>376450859
>those fucking gibberish wails of the Exploder tha make it sound like an aggressive Nazi with extra chromosomes

https://youtu.be/ddbJqn0_8ys
>>
>>376450328
>necromorph
Honestly not sure. They're all pretty good
>weapon
Plasma cutter. I loved it so much that I never used anything else
>scene
Not so much scary as it was disturbing, but in the first one when you just keep hearing this thudding and it's getting louder and louder until you walk in on the guy who has just been hitting his head on the wall until he fucking just dies. It just sent shivers down my spine.
>>
Holy shit my sides
>>
File: 1457522696865.jpg (333KB, 700x1577px)
1457522696865.jpg
333KB, 700x1577px
>>376450328

Dividers. Creepy lanky figure that falls apart and has its head and arms attack you. What's not to like?

>Weapon?
Ripper. There's something so satisfying about getting up and close with the enemy, sawing off their limbs as they're right in front of you. The only downside is that the alt-fire is pretty lame.

>Scariest Scene?
In DS2, when Stross suddenly looks straight at the camera and yells at it.

It's a damn shame that EA got stupid, as they usually do, and started changed shit. They always want to see how far they can take it before dropping the whole thing.
>>
>>376450328
Just the regular humanoid necromorph, but always in hordes.
>Weapon?
Earthgov Seeker Rifle
>Scariest Scene?
I wasnt really scared with the game but my favorite scene is the Hivemind reveal with that bitch dying.
>>
So, if a Dead Space 4 was made, what would it be about?
If the ending to the DS3 expansion wasn't a vision or dream or something and it actually happened, then the moons would need to die. It'd be great if Isaac would have to get a planet cracker ship and fight them using that. It would fit into the whole "Isaac takes an engineering tool and gets shit done" vibe.
Perhaps it could even be the Ishimura, if it somehow wasn't destroyed in DS2.
>>
>>376455247
It would be a REEBOOT
>>
>>376450328
I don't remember
>Weapon?
I used the plasma cutterin 1 and 2 unless I was forced to use somehting else
>Scariest Scene?
Shoving needle in the eye
I prefer 1 over 2. 1 was just perfect but 2 tried to make it too light-hearted. I liked that Isaac missed Nicole and I disliked the romance/tough girl shit going on in DS2. Gunnar Wright did a really good VA voice but just seemed so out of place
I didn't bother with DS3. Series is dead to me
>>
https://youtu.be/YHZ_apAW-4c
>>
>>376450328
>Peaked with 2
2 and 3 aren't Dead Space games, they're Uncharted in space.

Dead Space 1 was atmospheric as fuck, extremely isolating and one of the best horror games to come out in a decade.
>>
>>376453709
>It's a damn shame that EA got stupid
I'm surprised they didn't force Visceral to use the fucking Frostbite engine that have to shove in every game since 2012 or so.
>>
>>376450328
Um. It peaked with 1, friend. 2 goes too heavy on the jumpscares and shitty action game tropes, before 3 gives in and makes it legit a space marine game.
>>
>>376457216
>>376456927
but 2 has cool transformy helmety suits :D
>>
>>376455885
>2 too light hearted

>going through a daycare with baby necromorphs attacking you
>the scene where a mother embraces her necromorph child still thinking its her child and it explodes with her
>>
>>376455885
I thought the "romance" was really well done. It wasn't really a romance desu, just two people in a desperate situation that began to trust each other because it was their only way out. The scene where Isaac tricks Ellie to make sure she gets off the station is kino.
>>
>>376457349
It still had horror elements, but Isaac's quips got annoying. I preferred the silent protag Isaac in DS1
DS2 just seemed like Visceral was trying too hard
>>
>>376457804
normie pls go

dead space 2 is really the best dead space
>>
So, why did Nicole go from being ~20 in the first game to pushing 40 in the sequel?
>>
No love for DS1 Ripper?
That and Contact Beam got me through Impossible with the former being even more ammo efficient than plasma cutter and the latter for the big guys
>>
>favourite negromorph

the nigger ones in 1, with the apeshit rounded mouths

>favourite weapon

like everyone else in this thread. The assault rifle was fun too

>Scariest scene

When the negromorph tries to storm the elevator in chapter 1.
>>
>>376451413
>true, but i loved watching the spawl fall apart sslowly around you.
DS2 made me want a spin off that is just about being a engineer like Isaac fixing shit around stations and ships.
>>
Dead Space 3 isnt that bad.

It has some of the best space atmospheres in gaming, and the DLC is some of the most horrifying, legitimately frightening shit in the series.

I really wish everyone didnt hate it so much.
>>
File: image.png (563KB, 569x802px)
image.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>376458497
>big guys
>>
File: miles.jpg (85KB, 705x530px)
miles.jpg
85KB, 705x530px
>>376458567
A DS9 game where the only playable character is O'Brien.
>>
>>376450328
I loved the saw blade gun from 1
>>
>buy juicy power nuggets
>go over to the shair
>take off pants, spread ass cheeks, insert the power nodes up my ass
>sit on shair
>load up the plasma cutter
>parachute those points out of my anus straight into the damage buffs for the mama cutter
>chapter 3 and already have 3 damage points on the gutter
>1-2 shot negromorfs
>stock up on that plasma
>buy no other weapon the entire game
>win
>>
>>376459137
3 damage points on the gutter and I didn't even bother aiming for the limbs, just shoot the middle body and they still drop like tseetsee flies
>>
>>376450328
Will we ever get a Dead Space 4 that's on par with 1 and 2? I mean actual survival horror is in this sort of weird stage where companies feel it's nostalgic and has youtube free marketing behind 'em to get sales. So maybe a DS4 that isn't trying to be overly actiony is possible?

Favorite Necromorph is the chicken things that hide and poke their head out before rushing you. They're almost kind of "cute" if it weren't for all the blood and exposed innards. Weapon is a toss up between the ripper and force gun. Dunno about scariest scene though. Been replaying the games and I got startled by a jump scare pretty good. I kind of like jump scares as long as they're used well and not just over and over and over again.
>>
>>376458906
Would be pretty cool. The only problem with Star Trek as a setting is too many of the tools are barely hands on. It seems like every Star Trek engineering problem is "pull off panel, point portable computer at electronics, occasionally tap button."

I'd still take it if they fleshed it out and also had space walking though.
>>
>>376459429
Why do you want a sequel, and not a completely new horror action game that delights and surprises you?
>>
>>376450328
>one of the best horror game series

But this is a thread about fucking deadspace? I guess it says more about games today that people look back on EA garbage fondly.
>>
>>376459593
No fuck you leatherman
>>
>>376459492
The biggest challenge of the Engineer in Star Trek is knowing everything there is to know about everything mechanical and electrical. The work comes in identifying what's wrong and knowing that the only possibility is some specific conduit's control computer stopped routing power to this other computer, which means it had to shut down its functions on a priority basis meaning shields and weapons are down in order to preserve life support. When the engineer figures that out, all they have to do is go open the panel and hit it with a laser and magically fix it.

A Star Trek engineering game would have to be mostly puzzle based on identifying problems, but that could get boring quickly if not done really, really well with other elements to keep it interesting (story driven motivation for doing whatever you're doing, and so on)
>>
>>376459589
I guess that'd be ok but at least with DS we know it can be good, if done well. I thought I'd like Evil Within but then it just goes full Rambo the last few chapters. Also
>it's all in your heeeead
which always kinda bugs me. I mean at least in DS the hallucinations happen alongside what you're actually doing, not just all in your mind.

>>376459593
DS1 and 2 were great. DS3 just went full retard with microtransactions and co-op. I doubt the team behind the game wanted it to become as actiony as it did.
>>
>tfw we will never have a star-wars themed dead space game and play as a storm trooper trying to survive in a battle cruiser ridden with mutated people
>>
File: van.jpg (6KB, 184x184px)
van.jpg
6KB, 184x184px
>>376459874
>>376459593
>>
>>376460054
The first 10 or so chapters of The Evil Within were about on par with Dead Space, though with much scarier bosses and that mansion with the instakill enemy spawning and fucking shit up. If you pretend it's only a 10 chapter game The Evil Within is a solid 8 once you fix it's godawful pc port.
>>
File: 1494336584540.png (30KB, 354x286px)
1494336584540.png
30KB, 354x286px
>>376450328

I don't think it peaked with the 2nd one, although it was great.

The beginning when you can stomp people's head and limbs off while not wearing the suit was silly, and that "ARE SEEING THIS, LOOK LOOK, BLOOD, LOOK, AM I SCARY YET?" over the top forced gore was absolutely terrible.

Those scenes with your ex with glowy eyes and jerky movements were like a horror movie made by 12 years olds for 8 years olds.

But the gameplay and levels were great. I loved that elementary school area.
>>
>area with loads of enemy waves
>item drops start disappearing before you've killed them all
>>
Anyone else here feel the Stalkers in 2 were equal parts annoying, cute, tricky and fun to Fight? those fucking squeaks
>>
>>376450328
Dead Space 1 did cosmic horror right. Game was fucking phenominal, and 2 was pretty solid as well.

3 humped the bunk tho.
>>
>>376450328
>DS then
Wow it's boring and mediocre.
>DS now
Game of my childhood monsters in vents are scary one of the best horror.
I'm too old for this shit.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.