[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Next-gen" MMOs: Where are they now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 510
Thread images: 69

File: GW2-Wildstar-ESO-TORtanic.png (523KB, 810x504px) Image search: [Google]
GW2-Wildstar-ESO-TORtanic.png
523KB, 810x504px
GW2, Wildstar, SWTOR and ESO were all hyped to hell and back as the next big thing for MMOs a few years back.

(Side note: RIP EQN)

Where are these games now? With the exception of Wildstar, they all seem to be relatively healthy, but that's from an outsiders perspective. Are any of these worth checking out, or are they all just mediocre?
>>
I've been playing GW2 since release, it's a very solid MMO.

I've played SWTOR and hated it, it was after playing GW2 and it felt really terrible, dated visuals and gameplay.
TESO felt very clunky, I didn't get too far, it feels like an Elder Scrolls game with even worse quest design and limited skills.
>>
GW2 is ok, not really the revolution they promised but good enough. Also the game survives on the costumes they put in the cash shop and new content is slow to come by. Story is ass garbage but what do you expect.
>>
theyre all shit
>>
Legion's a great mmo and the only one worth playing right now
>>
>>376442365
The allure of a "big open world with thousands of other players!" faded when players realized it was just a tightly controlled theme park, those that actually liked that shit just stuck to the most popular as the alternatives weren't unique enough to switch to.
>>
>>376443593
the AP grind sucks
random legendaries too
>>
I miss playing an MMO, but the current ones are bland. I'd love to try something new; there's been an MMO draught for a long time now. Even the upcoming ones look questionable at best though... might take another 10 years for the genre to experience a resurgence.
>>
>>376443667
maybe if you're a casual

Yeah I agree
>>
ESO is kinda ok, especially if you like the elder scrolls but don't take it too seriously
SWTOR is actually a very solid mmo, but the most wow-like one, so it doesn't have anything special.
gw2 is meh, core gameplay is ok, but very little content requiring skill. ironically it has most mindless grinding of the tree
>>
>>376442365
I tried ESO during the free week. Having 16k health at level 1 as a mage threw me off a bit, but for the most part it's an elder scrolls game with hotkeys and inconsequential quests.

You also can't mod it to hell and back, obviously
>>
File: jumpin.webm (3MB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
jumpin.webm
3MB, 704x396px
I'm a sucker for good map design and GW2 has the best ones, Wildstar is a close second.
>>
>>376443901
It's totally casualified.
>>
I am gonna start Neocron when my new laptop comes.
>>
>>376442365
gw2 is pretty solid, but the open world is piss easy, so if you don't do fractals or raid then you wouldn't have too much fun if that's your aim, since most progression is horizontal. That said, it scratches my classic maplestory itch with the way that groups are and the exploration

SWTOR, aside from the titanic memes, seems alright too
>>
>>376444459
This, GW2 has fantastic world design. Sadly everything else about it is pretty mediocre.

And I really enjoy Wildstar and I'm glad it's still chugging along, but the game is mired in incompetence. It is its own fault it is failing.
>>
>>376444459
Nice sense of scale. Too many games have tiny little areas with invisible walls. Or just one single plane and nothing in the way of high mountains or deep caverns.
>>
>>376445150
SWTOR is a single player game. The players know it, the devs know it. Nobody does anything as a group except when absolutely forced, and they'd prefer not to be. They'd prefer if they could just do the story on their own, at their own pace, without having to be bothered by others.

And if you play the game as a single player game, it's not that bad. It is a servicable, albeit distant, sequel to the KOTOR series.
>>
TORtanic was a case of BioWare drinking their own kool-aid and listening to all those biodrones who insisted people would pay a monthly fee to bioware for content churned out by and increasingly shoddy, shitty developer. The same drones who insisted DA2, DA:I, ME3, ME:A were all good (they're not.)
>>
I've played GW2 since launch and I can safely say the game is dead now. Anet is a really shitty developer and would rather work on another expansion instead of giving you content for the one you bought. Also 5 man dungeons will never come back and fractals will always be shit.

Atleast the game is easy to hack in.
>>
>>376442365
For all the shit it got SWtOR was the best MMO on the market for nearly a year when Cata released for the sole reason that they were still copying Wrath.
>>
Guild Wars 2 *almost* had it.

The biggest challenge was a) making fights competitive/challenging without a tank/heal/DPS mechanic, and b) maintaining a constant stream of content when not funded by monthly subscriptions.

The expansion was worst than the Star Wars Galaxies revision. Grind upon grinds, minimal content, shitty storyline.

WoW still has millions playing, but its mainly out of habit + churn of old players. If 1-2% of your playerrbase return every year or two, that's 1-2m people out of the 100m accounts over the last 12+ years.
>>
>>376442365
GW2 would be ten million times better if it had guild vs guild pvp and multiple skills per weapon to choose from
>>
>>376445150
>>376445414
SWTOR is absolute dogshit, even as a single-player game. The story is 90% bumblefuck retarded 10% alright, what little combat there is is piss-easy, and that's on top of customization options getting more and more restricted behind a paywall with each passing patch.
>>
They all found their niches, except Wildstar. There's a dedicated fanbase that loves them and keeps them afloat, although nothing will match WoW at it's peak.
WoW was a product of it's time and there just isn't as big of a market for MMO's anymore. Back in 2004-10 online gaming still was this big novelty, especially among people who didn't play many video games and there was a place in the market for WoW as this unique world that you could explore with other people. Most of the people I know who really got into WoW weren't too into gaming and only played WoW. Gaming wasn't their hobby, WoW was their hobby. My dad would play vanilla up to Wrath and it was basically his thing in the evenings, some dads would watch TV to defrag at the end of the day and my dad and his friends/guildmates would get on WoW.

That niche has been filled by other games that do a batter job of appealing to that kind of player. Nowadays that kind of demographic would be playing CoD on console or something like Hearthstone or LoL on PC. They fulfill the same "need" that WoW fulfilled during it's time but with a smaller commitment and barrier to entry. I gotta log onto WoW daily to keep up with the grind, so I can do the really cool stuf like raids with my guildies, while in League I can log on and get into a match whenever I feel like it.
The only people still playing MMO's are people who legitimately love MMO's for what they are and not for the social aspect.
>>
>>376446846
>WoW was a product of it's time and there just isn't as big of a market for MMO's anymore
the market is still there
it's just that nothing is as good as it was at its peak
>>
BRING BACK 2D MMOs
>>
i play ffxiv and wilstar and i enjoy them both
>>
>>376443931
>SWTOR is actually a very solid mmo
What in the fuck are you on? It works as a single player game with an online co-op element (and even then, not very well), but as an MMO it's terrible
>>
>>376446925
A great deal of old WoW's market was just people who liked online gaming, and nowadays there's a lot more variety in online games. WoW would not have gotten as big as it did if there were as many mainstream online games like there are now.
Yes people have been playing games online ever since they figured out how to get two computers running on a network but it was a more niche nerdy/kid thing until Halo and Call of Duty propelled online gaming into the mainstream, especially MW2 with how they started to market games like blockbusters.
>>
i wish i could relive all those swtor memes
>>
>>376445626
>5 man dungeons will never come back and fractals will always be shit.
What am I supposed to do in endgame then? I just got to 80 the other day and have no idea what to do. I dread starting another character because that takes forever to level.
>>
File: 1478752128523.png (617KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1478752128523.png
617KB, 720x480px
GW2 is good if you want to just run around exploring and chilling with other players with some casual PvE. The presentation of the world is pretty good, and the combat is sort of a "high speed, low drag" style that facilitates bulldozing through zones at a rapid pace if that's your thing.

PvP is a complete shitshow, though, and ArenaNet has completely forgotten that WvW even exists. The combat would be perfect for a PvP-focused affair like GW1, but ArenaNet's hilariously slow rate of releasing balance changes, as well as their complete inability to actually create non-PvE content, has left PvP stagnant and dead. WvW is lucky to even get a section in the patch notes more than twice a year.

tl;dr GW2 is good if you want well-delivered casual PvE, but don't mind half-baked PvP or devs that work so slowly that you'll be taking breaks between content drops rather often.
>>
>>376442365
GW2 has constant content updates, like new maps, with its Living World thing and a second expansion is coming likely later this year or early next year, there was a massive leak recently

GW2 is by far the least bad but people will treat it as the worst MMO ever because it's not GW1 with better graphics.
>>
>>376447586
Don't listen, 5 man dungeons are shit but give them a try anyway, fractals are great.
Then there are all the level 80 maps and the expansion stuff like raids.
>>
>>376447586
Fashion Wars or uninstall
>>
>>376447708
least bad does not mean good
>>
>>376447941
on /v/ it does
>>
give up on mmos until WoW dies completely and allows developers to actually be creative again
>>
File: 1478561500637.jpg (11KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
1478561500637.jpg
11KB, 500x490px
TFW Runescape is actually a better MMO than wow in 2017
>>
>>376447708

No, people treat it like garbage because they ensured to both violate the writting and the difficulty of the game steadily into just a platform game with cero challenge whatsoever.

It's okay.
But nothing more.
>>
>>376442365
In the trash. Where they belong.
>>
>>376447586
theres raids and map farming. Getting into fractals for new players is shit because of agony resistance. I really wish anet would stop redoing fractals and actually give us new content.

Either way there isn't really much to do at end level. You have your weekly raids, daily fractals, and whenever map grinds. I hope you like having 20 different currencies because HoT is shit and the next expansion will most likely give you the same experience of big empty maps with nothing to do in them.
>>
File: andie_nordgen_.jpg (24KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
andie_nordgen_.jpg
24KB, 450x450px
>ctrl f
>eve online
>0 results
as it should be, RIP eve you piece of shit
>>
File: explorer.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
explorer.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
>tfw wildstar will never get new anything anymore
Time to enjoy maintenance mode.
>>
>>376442365
GW2, Wildstar and TESO are dogshit

The Old Republic is shit
>>
>>376446846
>They all found their niches, except Wildstar.
Wildstar's niche was supposed to be hardcore mmo players who like challenging content. Turns out that niche doesn't really exist.
>>
>>376442365
>SWTOR
Racking in that sweet ass whale dosh after it failed to "kill" wow.
>>
>>376442365
Wildstar and GW2 are close to Matrix Online population numbers. TESO and TOR are doing fine but all four are very bad games.
>>
>>376443593
>Legion's a great mmo
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>376448071
That's what happens when you hire nu-males.
>>
File: 1395358908226.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1395358908226.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
I love mmos and would give anything for the genre to be revitalized, but I've come to grips with the fact that the genre is dead.

also guild wars 2 is a shit and destroyed my love of videogames
>>
File: trinity.jpg (17KB, 675x254px) Image search: [Google]
trinity.jpg
17KB, 675x254px
MMOs will never come back as long as devs remain convinced that the trinity isn't worthwhile.

I have no clue where everyone got the idea that getting rid of traditional mmo roles made sense. When your character can do everything it takes the flavor of the game away and you feel no different than anyone else.

Why did devs think this was a good idea and the future of mmos?
>>
>>376450494
>>376450815

Our only hope is for either Pantheon or Camelt Unchained to deliver
>>
>>376450992
They won't.
>>
>>376451016
Yeah, I know.. :(
>>
File: 1477539464585.jpg (48KB, 354x442px) Image search: [Google]
1477539464585.jpg
48KB, 354x442px
>dude, remember when people used to literally defecate in a sock because boss fights took so long? Wouldn't it be great if mmos went back to that golden era style?
>>
>>376444459
>no terminal velocity
Dropped. When will games stop acting like cartoons?
>>
>>376450815
>Why did devs think this was a good idea and the future of mmos?
Because waiting 45 minutes for the one cuck/bitch that plays a healer is shit.
>>
>>376450992
Chronicles of Elyria too maybe.
>>
>>376451408
having roles and making roles necessary to complete content are two different things

equating them is where MMOs run into problems
>>
I hope WoW dies soon. It has to die for MMO's to get better.
>>
>>376451408
That's why having separate dps and support specs is good.
>>
>>376449847
It exists, it's just that Wildstar had nothing else going for it and it had awful performance for a while to boot.
>>
ESO is pretty much the best MMO on the market right now as far I'm concerned. /v/ loves final fantasy but its just WoW with a jap coat of paint.
>>
File: 1457368562399.jpg (44KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457368562399.jpg
44KB, 750x500px
Wildstar is the Battleborn of MMOs, actually a good game with major flaws that keep it from gaining players

Guildwars 2 is for ERPfags who don't want to go off the deep end with Tera or pay a subscription fee for FFXVI

Star Wars TOR is possibly one of the biggest fucking casualfest of MMOs players to ever exist and people play it for the story

ESO is doing fine and actually has a massive playerbase on consoles with devs that know how to get it on the right tracks, Garbage launch and I'm really surprised it recovered as that's a very rare thing to do in this genre. As B2P I'd actually recommend it.
>>
>>376451512
Yeah, good point. Years ago I used to wonder what they could do to make healing more appealing and less of a cunt's job. Stuff like "do damage to heal" or "play a sniper minigame to heal" but fuck it, it doesn't matter. I quit MMOs and nobody has bothered to try and make healing attractive.

Either make healing as fun as the other playstyles or just ditch the trinity.
>>
Everyone got bored of the carrot on a stick.

Now MMO's are just casual large scale multiplayer games where the end-game is completely unimportant. And this is a good thing. The whole gear treadmill days are over thank god. I think only WoW still tries that. And it's probably not long before WoW goes into maintenance mode because Blizzard are too busy raking in the cash from Overwatch and Hearthstone.
>>
>>376451614
>It exists
It really doesn't. After playing enough mmos you realize the majority are boneheaded idiots and the "hardcore" people are tryhards who just regurgitate and copy what the other tryhards are doing.
>>
>>376451689
>equates Battleborn to a good game
Didn't read the rest of your post my friend
>>
>>376451689
Is ESO alive and well on PC? I have a capped character on my console and am considering making the switch to PC
>>
>>376444459
Hi Liz
Are you always in these threads?
>>
>>376451689
>Wildstar is the Battleborn of MMOs
That's low even for a shitposter on /v/.
>>
MMO's are finally where they should be. Just neat massive games where there's also tons of other people you can run into. Queue simulators like world of warcraft and ffxiv are a dying breed. People just want to run around the world and do shit and naturally fall into groups of people to tackle harder stuff.
>>
>>376451805

The gameplay was there, the presentation was a fucking 0/10. UI, voices, should have been 3rd person ruined it on the spot. To boot you had to grind for heroes in a game you had to play.

It had fun gameplay, but fuck it was behind a wall of shit. Overwatch was gorgeous and seemlessly well polished and prevailed because of that and marketing.
>>
I think the typical MMO is outdated. We probably will never see another very dominant game in the genre in a long time. It would have to be some incredible game.

Two problems with MMOs are:
>Combat/gameplay is boring/mediocre (outdated)
>Balance endgame

Many MMOs had good combat for their time when they were released, but you cant get away with that today and expect praise. We ahve seen some companies try different approaches than the "standard" formula with varied success. Its gottab easy, fun and reward good player but also newer ones. Combat getting tedious after longer session is also scary. There is also the endless struggle of how to balance the endgame and keep the players interested.

If the game got PvP its also a headache. Balance according to PvP will influence how the classes do PvE. Abilities, gear etc.
>>
>>376442365
GW2 is currently the best MMO on the market, despite failing to live up to their pre-release manifesto.
>>
>>376451819

Yeah it's fine on PC with the major benefit of Addons. ESO is fun playing on consoles with rednecks and dudebros constantly bitching and dueling each other in town. You also will be around much more competitive players on PC PVE and PVP wise.

Only reason console populations are so big is because current consoles don't have many MMO choices.
>>
MMO's are a crap genre and always have been. People got older and online games got more sophisticated, so there's literally no reason to ever play one anymore.
>>
>>376442365
Can't speak for GW2. SWTOR I played again back in February. It's good for going through the Knights story once, and maybe one of the neat class stories, but Knights is where it really shines. The only thing left to the game is the spaceship PvP, PvP, and they'er slowly chugging out a new raid, bit by bit, but it's a walking corpse at this point, fueled only by the people who gamble away real money on the cash shop boxes.

Wildstar is still a walking corpse, but apparently it's in the green, otherwise NCSoft would have given up on it by now. It must make more than City of Heroes did to justify its existence. ESO on the other hand is up there with FF in overtaking WoW with more than a few million players (subscribers, even).

But nothing's really made big news, really. At the core of it, they're all pretty much WoW clones with a gimmick or two, and three of them are just using the name of their franchise to carry them halfway. Wildstar is the only new IP and it's the one that is the most dead, so we can see what cloning WoW does to a game in this day and age.

I'd like to see another City of Heroes type game, honestly. None of this halfway bullshit like DCUO or Champs. True customization. Pick things that might not be optimal and still be able to have fun. I don't even know if it can work in this day and age, but CoH (and other MMOs from that earlier time, pre-2004 and before) never balanced around what was optimal and that was probably what kept them alive. It made a proper community out of the whole game, not just the current content. MMOs are worlds, not just games, and ever since everyone tried to copy WoW, it's lost that. They're just shitty games now.
>>
>>376442365
GW2 has okay gameplay, mediocre content, and abysmal story. This latest episode with the Balthazar reveal is complete nonsense.
>>
File: 1275183948438.png (271KB, 423x467px) Image search: [Google]
1275183948438.png
271KB, 423x467px
>>376452131
I was around for day 1 of ESO on console because my PC couldn't handle the game at the time

>Walk into town
>BLARING NOISE OF EVERYONE TALKING AT ONCE
>Dungeon queues are full of people who don't grasp the concept of MMO roles.
>PC players ported their characters over and got a free cat mount. Anyone on a cat mount was unanimously hated by console players.
>The first night of vampires spawning where the entire server sat there and one shot them time and time again

Did they ever add in text chat?
>>
File: vanguard.jpg (573KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vanguard.jpg
573KB, 1920x1200px
>>376451985

Lobby/Hub games like Destiny, Monster Hunter, and The Division are the only way for MMOs to exist now on the grander scale. Personally I'm ok with this as MMO devs fucked themselves cloning WoW 1000x.
>>
>>376452360

Yes
>>
>>376452347
>This latest episode with the Balthazar reveal is complete nonsense.
t. someone with a learning disability

Seriously, there's literally nothing out there with it. While his identity wasn't very well foreshadowed, it wasn't completely out there either, as evident by people speculating it could be him 2 months prior to the release.
>>
>>376451535
Well after WoW we are getting World of Starcraft

Hopefully it's dufferent from wow but expect everyone to try and copy it
>>
>>376452360
You can plug in a keyboard. Only thing about the PS4 is that it only has two usb ports so you'd have to buy something to plug in to one of the others so you could have your controller, mic, keyboard, and whatever else all plugged in at once. And you'd have to be crazy to keep ESO on the PS4's default hard drive, so that's another slot filled.
>>
>>376452363
>Lobby/Hub games
I'm perfectly okay with that.
>>
>playing an MMO
for what purpose?
>>
ESO is actually my favorite modern MMO, it was a fucking mess on launch but all of its major problems were eventually ironed out and it's a very enjoyable game now, give it a shot next time they do a free weekend or something
>>
>>376452626
Everyone wants a game they can really invest time into, it's engaging

Or that's the idea anyway
>>
>>376452518
>World of Starcraft
Please god no.
>>
GW2 is still doing it's thing. Being NCsoft's third highest profitable game they have. Heart of Thorns was shit, but the living story that followed it is solid.

Game also have a ton of whales that need the new shiny things getting released on the cash shop, so it's not going away anytime soon.
>>
>>376452564
Might try again if they finally patched in text chat. Didn't work at launch and people were begging for it. Was impossible to sell anything
>>
>>376452762
the thing I hate is they force you to keep buying these fucking dlcs
fuck jews
>>
>>376445959
>GW2 would be ten million times better if it was GW1
fixed that for you, friendo
>>
>>376452908
I haven't bought any of them as of yet, and I'm enjoying it just fine. I saw that they packaged a few of them for like $20 bucks, hoping they do that with all of them eventually.

The price for the Morrowind expansion is steep as shit though.
>>
>>376452363
I hope you're not implying that Vanguard was a WoW clone, anon.
>>
>>376452492
Why would Balthazar, GOD OF WAR, pretend to be a Mursaat? It makes no fucking sense. He stands virtually nothing to gain that he couldn't gain easier elsewhere.

If he were Menzies or something, then it might make an inkling of sense. But actual Balthazar? Shit makes no sense.
>>
>>376443593
Legion? what the hell is that?
>>
>>376453403
The worst expansion in WoW history. An amazing feat.
>>
>>376449723
Wasn't there a minor update like a week and a half ago? And a major content update in March?
Hell, I was kinda considering reinstalling.
>>
>>376453320
wait Balthazar is pretending to be a Mursaat? Balthazar is an actual physical character?

well I guess I'm never reinstalling this bullshit
>>
>>376453320
>Why would Balthazar, GOD OF WAR, pretend to be a Mursaat
You'd know that if you weren't retarded. The White Mantle were tinkering with a bloodstone, and Balthy needed magic. Pretend to be Lazarus to get instant access to all that bloodstone magic when it explodes. He kept the charade up afterwards to drain the WM of their resources so he could muster an unquestioning army, and had to keep it up further once Marjory started tailing him, because telling her "oh dude btw I'm actually Balthazar, do you mind forgetting all the scheming, killing and lying I did previously? kthx" wouldn't be very nice for his godly image.
>>
>>376453684
Balthazar lost his power (we don't know why yet), and was disguised as Lazarus for a while so he could take the magic from the Maguuma bloodstone for himself.
>>
>>376453786
well that seems silly
>>
>>376451408
>Vanilla WoW had true supports and true pure healers, and a true debuffer class
>There was never any shortage of priests or paladins to take on raids despite priest only ever being used for healing and paladins being brought solely for their buffs
>There was never any shortage of warlocks even though their damage wasn't the best and they were only wanted for their utility

and the game was better for it
"take the person not the class" killed class dynamics
>>
>>376453856
Well, it happened to Dhuum, so it could happen to Balthy, too.
>>
>>376453597
Nah, that's easily WoD because it was half-finished. Legion at least feels done, even if it is really bad.
>>
>>376453868
I loved my Enhancement shaman just because he had some pretty solid burst potential despite their middling dps, but also because I could drop the right totems and people would cream their pants.

RIP Windfury totem
>>
>>376442365
Depends on what you're after.
>>
I really miss Wakfu
so much random shit to do in the maps
>>
Balthazar needed some of his powers that was sealed into the bloodstones centuries ago. So he used the White Mantles as useful idiots to unlock it for him.

Balthazar was also the only Human God that helped humanity after the awakening of the Elder Dragons. He just want to take them on by himself, even if it cost the destruction of the planet Tyria.
>>
GW2 is bretty gud, but the story's not great until you get to living world season 3.

That's assuming, of course, you can deal with the copious amounts of lesbianism. It's not even tasteful, they constantly say how much they love each other and all but make out on screen. Like if it were mentioned once or twice it would be cool but instead it's constant "hey we're in love remember? Don't forget that we're in love with each other! Oh where has my beautiful and talented lesbian girlfriend run off to? Probably off somewhere being a massive rugmuncher!"
>>
>>376452908
What do you mean, forced.
>>
File: 1342872451202.png (242KB, 634x672px) Image search: [Google]
1342872451202.png
242KB, 634x672px
WOW so little GW2 hate! Are the GW1 """fans""" asleep or something?
>>
>>376454278
>all but make out on screen
There was a makeout scene when Scarlet died at the end of the first(?) living story season. It was passed around everywhere, how did you miss it?
>>
>>376454396
All GW1 fans have accepted their game is dead and have either moved on or accepted that GW2 is the best they're going to get.
>>
>>376442365

GW2 kind of found its stride, but not before falling quite a few times. I'm not a fan of what it ended up being and so I don't play it.

SWTOR also found its stride, it gave up on anything except story stuff, it's a story focused wow-clone that makes money by basically selling ingame currency that gives cool cosmetics.

ESO has its first expansion coming soon. It's a solid game with a bit of an unconventional combat system compared to the wowclones. Its skill system has a lot of potential but it's kind of wasted and in the end most builds are pretty similar and cookie-cutter. The potential is there but the balance and variety isn't. All in all its quests are solid if you don't mind constant never ending morally grey decision-making.

ESO started out really bad, REALLY REALLY bad. But then they added level scaling to the enitre world, and unlike gw2 they did it right. Low level players feel like a slab of marble, okay in every department but not chiseled out into what they'll become, gear overall makes a significant difference.
>>
is Wildstar worth to play as of now? Never played it, but judging from a few videos looks fun
>>
>>376453786
Marjory also mentioned that she could sense death's touch on him. Balthazar also refers to a "they" during his fight (something like "they diminished my light and stole my power")

It could also very well be that sealing the bloodstone in the first place took the lion's share of the gods' power, or that abaddon stole their power to give to mortals in the first place.
>>
>>376445342

GW2's scale is what turned me off the game initially. Building size, mainly in human areas just feels off, and the world feels tiny. They improved it in HoT with multi-level areas however.
>>
I just want an mmo where I can focus on gathering/crafting. FFXIV fucking sucked in that despite what people said because you HAVE to level a combat class and do the story mode which is like 80+ hours of bullshit just to do craft/gathering due to leves and HW hidden behind the ARR grind. On top of that grinding crafting classes without leves is pure cancer
>>
>>376454628
No.
>>
>>376449723
HARDCORE
>>
>>376452363
This is the logical next development for MMOs, to go back and perfect the small team experience then work up from there. Just waiting on a fantasy setting now
>>
>>376454471
I wasn't around for lw season 1.

I'm just referring to the dialogue, which is so awful that one mentions the other literally every time they're in the story at all.
>>
>>376449101

>thread about post-wow next-gen mmos (following wow)
>nobody mentions an mmo that came out before wow
>>
>>376454762
You can build a character in ESO that focuses 100% on crafting. There's even crafting focused guilds. You level from crafting as well so theoretically you could go from 1-cap just crafting. Crafted items get really good and you can sell your tip top quality stuff to people.
>>
>>376454762
You could do that in SWG

RIp in peace.
>>
>>376454762
Go playa E.V.E. or something if you wanna jew.

Better yet, just become a jew in real life.
>>
>>376453719
There was no good reason to keep up the charade after getting the Bloodstone magic. He's BALTHAZAR. He could've just walked into Divinity's Reach and said "DEUS VULT" and he'd have his unquestioning army.

Fuck, he didn't even actually schism the White Mantle much. He just took a handful while Caudecus kept the vast majority. He had to hire mercenaries just to shore up his numbers. BALTHAZAR, GOD OF WAR, HIRING MERCENARIES. You can't make this shit up.

And revealing himself to the Commander in the egg chamber would've built up a HUGE amount of good will. What, were Caithe and Aurene gonna leak the big secret?

And even with all the trickery, he's a human GOD. Most of the humans would eat up whatever bullshit he brought to the table.
>>
>>376454396
Some of us got over it while the others are still perma butthurt about why arenanet decided to call this game a guild wars sequel while it's an almost completely different game.
It help that the devs improved gw2 since the launch.
>>
>>376442365
it's a dead genre, MMOs are a huge investment and not worth the risk

theme park MMOs dont stand a chance because they have to compete with WoW and ultra neckbeards are the only ones who want to see the return of sandbox MMOs
>>
>>376454950
Not to mention just exploring and reading bookcases and random world books you can level up your combat abilities with minimal actual combat. So you don't need to worry about being useless in combat if you ever changed your mind.
>>
>>376453320
>>376453719
>>376453786
Well as >>376453684 said, fuck this retarded shit. nuAnet is literally up there with Harmony Gold in terms of companies i want to see bombed by some aloha snackbar faggot. Holy fuck this is so retarded, it's like they get turned on by shitting all over the GW1 lore
>>
>>376442365

GW2 is the shittiest MMO i've ever played in my life.
TESO would be good if the combat wouldnt complete shit.
SWTOR is the best of the 3 considering everything.
>>
>>376442365
GW2 was the best of the four, but failed to make meaningful end game pve content that fit the new gameplay model it focused on.

SWTOR is an ok WoW clone like Rift before it, but not worth playing in the long run like all WoW clones.

Wildstar made their game too boring to play and ESO thought that people played Elder Scrolls for the combat LOL.
>>
Kasmeer is hiding something, she somehow "just knew" that balthazar's mirror was actually blessed by Lyssa?
Also we've directly witnessed a god. And yet somehow, we're not blind.
I'm betting that Steve is behind all of this somehow, because there's either nothing but logical inconsistencies and shitty writing or someone's purposefully pulling the strings here.
>>
>>376455448
>ESO thought that people played Elder Scrolls for the combat LOL.

This is obviously incorrect. That's why the combat is simplistic like the single player games. It is and has always been about the stories and exploring the world.
>>
>>376454762
ESO have non of the issues you talked about. Join a trade guild and make tons of money selling potions on your crafter. You can reach max level without hurting a single being. There's even daily crafting quests and some pretty extreme missions for master crafter.
>>
File: 1392770908085.png (201KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
1392770908085.png
201KB, 500x380px
>>376455562
Eso guy here, I prefer the combat over normal MMO combat. Benig able to actually lift my shield to block things is worlds better than hitting the 3 key to activate 'raised shield' spell that gives me +20% damage resistance for 5 seconds.
>>
>>376451213

It wasn't the bossfight that took so long.

It was the hours of clearing the planes of all mobs so you wouldn't be wiped out by adds when the god shouted for them and everything still alive trained your ass like Debbie at a Does convention.
>>
>>376455564
Dont lie to the boy anon, the moment he walks into a high level area to gather crafting mats he's going to get gang fucked by every mob in a ten mile radius
>>
>>376455382
You didn't play many mmo in your life if gw2 is the worst.
Or you didn't scout the internet for f2p mmo before 2010.
Hope it's the later because you missed nothing of value.
>>
File: gw099.jpg (358KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gw099.jpg
358KB, 1920x1080px
Guild Wars 2 is probably the best mmo out right now. Has another expansion in the horizon, too.
>>
>>376455941
>Guild wars 2 is still alive

You serious? What is it down to now, 3 servers?
>>
>>376442365
>NOBODY FUCKING MENTIONING THE KING OF MMOS

ULTIMA ONLINE you fucking retards. Did literally nobody in here play the best fucking MMO in the history of MMOs? I pity all of you.
>>
>>376456130
did you even bother reading the OP title

did you just see MMO and go full autism
>>
File: worlds.png (57KB, 625x836px) Image search: [Google]
worlds.png
57KB, 625x836px
>>376456010
>>
>>376455941
The leaks were showing that the expansion is gonna have mounts. God, just imagine all the stupid gemstore mount skins there's gonna be.
>>
>>376456130
You have some piss poor reading comprehension
>>
I'm leaving Tera, since it's run by idiots in NA.

What game should I pick up, where I don't need to spend money?
>>
>>376442365
ESO is great but they killed the whole franchise by letting MK write for ESO:Morrowind.
>>
>>3764561830
>did you just go full autism

YES BECAUSE ULTIMA ONLINE IS THE ONLY FUCKING GAME THAT DESERVES DISCUSSION
>>
>>376442365
Star Wars is still hanging on despite it being shit mainly because the story aspects are still, to this day, pretty fucking dope and still manage to get people to come back.

ESO is actually really fucking good, but it's missing a certain something that i can't define that would make people want to play it. For me, it's that the world feels kind of empty and aimless, and everyone is really fucking antisocial. There;s no world PvP, and no spontaneous roleplay or friendships. But the game itself is fucking good.

GW2 is garbage, and the less said about that, the better.

Wildstar is also fucking dead, I played it and didn't make it through the tutorial despite the setting seeming kind of fun.
>>
File: 1491687285797.jpg (40KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1491687285797.jpg
40KB, 1024x576px
>>376455840
>High level area
>In ESO
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>376456181
>>376456276
Ultima Online literally is the way forward, you plebs. MMOs just have to do that shit again, with slightly better graphics, but change literally nothing except for improved graphics and you've got gold on your hands.
>>
Why do you guys feel like combat in GW2 is okay?
I played warrior when it first launched and didn't enjoy combat at all, because of the weapon locked skills I had to constantly replace my weapon type in order to feel progress / non monotonous gameplay

Are other classes fun? I could return, but I dont have the thorns expansion so i dont really know what am I missing
>>
>>376453786
>we don't know why yet
Didn't Zaithan consume the gods power?
>>
>>376456182
Reminder that population refers to how many characters have been created on that server, not how many active players it has.
>>
>>376456364
Did they change something? I played a few months after launch and all the zones were level gated
>>
File: durrr.jpg (107KB, 450x635px) Image search: [Google]
durrr.jpg
107KB, 450x635px
>Wanting MMOs that have full loot PvP and other "hardcore" features
>>
>>376456405
I don't. The combat is simplistic and endlessly repetitive garbage. I legitimately think games like WoW and FFXIV have more satisfying combat than GW2.

The games with the best combat in the genre are probably TERA, BnS and unironically Wildstar.
>>
>>376456517
[Citation needed]
>>
>>376456530
All level scaled.
I start play a bit after that, I think it's called One Tramiel update. All the guys who play before always said we who start playing later had it much easier, couldn't imagine what it was like back then.
>>
>>376451727
but healing already is fun
>>
>>376456495
Zhaitan consumed most of the residual magic from Arah, yeah.
>>
>>376456212
>tfw still have the basic glider

>>376456405
I don't though. Everyone just stacks on top of enemies. I hate solo because some things don't have telegraphs when they should.
>>
File: file.png (136KB, 328x203px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
136KB, 328x203px
please tell me theres more people outside of steam playing
>>
>>376456405
I guess I like the "less is more" approach. I don't have to concern myself with a shit ton of keybinds and there's still enough depth in the slot skills and traits that experimenting with different builds is fun.
>>
File: 785484-dawn-wallpaper.jpg (495KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
785484-dawn-wallpaper.jpg
495KB, 1920x1200px
>Not posting a real patrician mmo

Get on my level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuIGLWpcD54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdcY8GiUJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUBVbwQKVU
>>
>>376457012
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>376457012
This game would be okay if they'd do away with the big red 'dont stand here' boxes.
>>
>>376457051
>Black Desert
Daum shill please just go
>>
>>376456530
I don't know what you're talking about because I didn't play back then. Everything is scaled so you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want as soon as you're out of the tutorial. Crafting nodes are scaled based on your crafting skill.

This mean that if you want to RP as an Ashlander who only want to travel around your camp to harvest resources and then venture into the cities to sell them, you can do that. Same if you want to play as a hobo argonian who refuse to leave Shadowfen.
>>
File: file.png (136KB, 328x203px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
136KB, 328x203px
>>376457070
>>376457012
okay steam is down thats why
>>
>>376457174
I posted 3 games, only one of them is black desert
>>
>>376457120
The whole combat system is built around the telegraphs, though. Some of the encounters in veteran dungeons and raids would be literally impossible without them.
>>
>>376457286
No one cares about pve anon and they can read those telegraphs by looking at a character model
>>
>>376457380
>No one cares about PvE
>In Wildstar
>The mmo that has the best raids in the business
>>
>>376457012
Yes, the game legitimately has a small following of a few thousand players. It's enough to make endgame function, mostly on Exile, but people playing through the leveling zones will get the impression that the game is dead.

People still queue for dungeons and people still show up for stuff like world bosses. The game is on life support for certain, but it isn't dead. Not yet.
>>
File: 1464097613230.jpg (2MB, 3840x2158px) Image search: [Google]
1464097613230.jpg
2MB, 3840x2158px
>>376442365
Wildstar is shitcanned I wish it wasn't dead, it was actually fun as fuck

I dont know shit about SWTOR

GW2 is steadily destroying the legacy GW1 left in the most disgraceful way possible, but the gameplay isn't nessicarily "bad"

TESO is only somewhat decent, not amazing but probably an OK leveling experience if you actually like TES lore Combat is straight hot garbage after about 30 minutes however

Have any actual good MMO's come out at all recently? No weeb korean grinders either
I know EVE still has a high pop
>>
File: ShameOnYouForFappingToThis.png (58KB, 151x210px) Image search: [Google]
ShameOnYouForFappingToThis.png
58KB, 151x210px
>>376457186
>Alright time to be an ashlander
>I can be a Dragonborn, NIghtingale, Archmage or High Priest
>>
I play FFXIV. I've also played GW2 from time to time, but quit because of Anet constantly trying to make the shitfest that is PVP into an E-sport. GW2 itself was alright, it has some things that I want to transfer over to FFXIV (like each gear having multiple dyes, the way it handled inventory for crafting.)
>>
>>376442365
>GW2
Everything about it is great except its actual gameplay, so it's shit.

>Wildstar
It's great except for all of the technical shit, which is awful.

>SWTOR
Shit WoW rip-off

>ESO
Actually a great game despite what /v/ will tell you. It bucks most of the WoW/XIV trends and is really fun and enjoyable.
>>
>>376457826
>GW 2 gameplay is shit
>But ESO's rock-em-sock-em robot gameplay isn't
>>
>>376457705
It isn't dead. The servers are still up, there are still people playing.
If you enjoy the game, you should play it while it's still going before NC decides it's not making a big enough profit to keep running, like they did with City of Heroes.
>>
File: 1475553036097.png (39KB, 359x189px) Image search: [Google]
1475553036097.png
39KB, 359x189px
Thinking about it now, I'm kinda surprised the surge of crafting/survival games didn't spawn any mmos or lead people to copy SWG/UO. I feel like there would be a decent amount of overlap in the two playerbases.
>>
>>376453671
Just a "Prime" mode (aka hard mode) for some of the old content. Nothing truly new.
>>
>>376456634
>unironically Wildstar
I was an Esper
I always felt I made a mistake

I sure fucking hope Funcom can keep The Secret World alive this fucking time
>>
>>376457912
it still hurts

;_;7
>>
>>376456228
What happened to Tera? I left right after VM7. I was thinking about going back to do battlegrounds, but then I remembered how it actually plays out.
>>
>>376457957
when the FUCK does Legends come out
>>
Carbine is working on something new, so Wildstar will probably go the way of the dinosaurs pretty soon.
>>
>>376457731
No one's forcing you to unlock any of your hyperbole descriptions of class skills. If you want to make a dedicated crafting character there's no reason to do it either.
>>
I miss Mabinogi. It was so good back in the day, but what it's turned into now is just garbage, and a cash grab. RIP in piss oldschool mabi.

I'm gonna play razom until that Tales of Elysia comes out. Hopefully they deliver. Was black desert any good??
>>
Black Desert
Blade N Soul
Moonlight Blade

Here are your "Next gen" mmos, they are much more next gen than wild star and guild wars
>>
>>376458137
June 25th
>>
>>376458137
https://twitter.com/SecretWorldLgds/status/861907405680111616
>>
>>376458201
>Hyperbole

Thats literally what they fucking are. You can't just be a thief or a warrior you have to be fucking dragon son lord of the flame spikes
>>
>>376442365
I played all 4 for a very short period because I hated them all, so my opinion is pretty irrelevant, but first of all, Wildstar, ESO and SWTOR are ridiculously unpolished and look like shit, I can't stand playing that stuff when games like WoW and FFXIV exist which actually hired competent programmers and artists.

GW2 is certainly much better on that point, pretty great looking world and no obvious bugs, but I have no idea how anybody could stand the leveling in that game, you just wander aimlessly and then do pointless stuff with pretty bad gameplay, it's not because everyone thinks quests are bad that you have to replace them with something even worse.
>>
>>376458270
Graphical fidelity and waifus alone are not next-gen, weeb
>>
>>376457957
>give classes like spellslinger and esper stationary casts
>it's not very fun
>remove the stationary requirement
>it becomes fun
WHOA
>>
>>376458292
>>376458283
neat
>>
>>376442365
Black desert bru
>>
>>376453964
nah I liked WoD for what it was
B2P dick around in Ashran/HFC and level up alts with friends

Legion is crap
>>
File: eotn.jpg (66KB, 603x402px) Image search: [Google]
eotn.jpg
66KB, 603x402px
GW2 is fucking supreme commander 2 tier

>let's make a sequel to our game but ruin literally every fucking thing that made our game amazing
>>
I play games, not social sims
>>
Played gw 1 today with hopes the zaishen mission gives me a chance to play with humans.
I can't believe I've spent over 5000 hours on this game
>>
>>376458521
It's just GW2 was very obviously made by a different group of people who don't understand what made the original good.
Even Jeremy Soule's music feels phoned in. It just doesn't have the soul of the first game, nor the competence in design.
>>
File: 1492447659763.jpg (54KB, 597x597px) Image search: [Google]
1492447659763.jpg
54KB, 597x597px
>Want to try Eve Online
>Find it pretty fun
>Enjoy mining, always fond of space trucking and mining
>Find out that the game is completely plagued with mining bots
>Literally no point in being a miner
Gay as fuck.
>>
File: gw120.jpg (724KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gw120.jpg
724KB, 1920x1080px
>>376458360
This is something I can actually back up as a long time GW2 player myself. The leveling experience in the game is pretty horrid and I think Anet knows it themselves, since they give out level-up items like candy to max level characters, that can then be given to new characters through the bank.

It's as if they acknowledge that leveling is a huge bore so they give players a way to skip it.
>>
File: Morrowind_3671bc_5604530.jpg (34KB, 400x380px) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind_3671bc_5604530.jpg
34KB, 400x380px
>>376458332
They are hyperbole descriptions because you literally aren't a Dragonborn, Nightingale, Archmage or High Priest. Don't use the word literally if you mean figuratively you n'wah.

And If you want to be a thief with maybe a bow as a backup weapon then there's nothing that stops you from investing into being a better sneaking shit that's good with a bow. No one's forcing you to invest anything in any class skill.

Are you retarded or just have a problem with long sentences?
>>
I'm still playing GW2 and there is an expansion on the way soon.

I also tried to get back into BDO, but I'm not feeling it.
>>
>>376458740
Can flipping is the correct way to mine in EvE online

Also stop spamming that image everywhere you fuck
>>
>>376458374
It's not just graphics.they are also more rich in terms of combat compared to guild wars 2
>>
>>376458956
>Finish dungeon with only weapon skills
>Look at damage meter
>I am doing 1% the damage of everyone else

Uh huh. sure. Brb having giant spikes erupt out of my back because thats just a thing all orcs can do evidently.
>>
File: EVE Online.jpg (91KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
EVE Online.jpg
91KB, 640x428px
>>376458740
There's still player hauling contracts you can take if you like spending hours going through multi-colored space.
>>
File: 1459488462540.png (602KB, 963x720px) Image search: [Google]
1459488462540.png
602KB, 963x720px
>>376458998
>Also stop spamming that image everywhere you fuck
>>
>>376458956
Not the same guy, but he does have a point. If you want to be a sneaky thief, the only way to do so is to take the "CAST SHADOW MAGIC TO DISAPPEAR INTO THE SHADOWS" spell from the edgelord nightblade skill trees.

You can't be a very mundane character, is probably what he means.
>>
>>376458740
>not octoboxing hulk pilots

are you even trying to mine faggot
>>
>>376459063
too bad about the rest of the game
>>
>>376459063
Bullshit. Black Desert in particular is nothing but flash over substance. Underneath the garish effects, it's just another korean grindfest.
>>
>>376442365
>tfw playing Star Trek Online because I'm tired of everything else and can't bring myself to play anything
>>
File: town2.jpg (230KB, 1920x1034px) Image search: [Google]
town2.jpg
230KB, 1920x1034px
Has anyone looked into the kickstarter for Ashes of Creation? It looks interesting, seems to be taking what SOE failed at delivering with Everquest Next.

>MMO
>Kickstarter
There you go.
>>
>>376459321
>Kickstarter.
>>
>>376443901
>1st legendary drops
>it's 3rd worst for me
>oh well, i'll probably get something good next ime
>2nd legendary drops
>oh boy!
>it's worst in slot and literally useless
>>
>>376458071
Tera NA (EME) recently said that any use of third party software mods means account termination. So instead of fixing major optimization and net code issues, they just banned the people who made mods to mitigate those issues.

And yes, the game is till not optimized after all these years.
>>
>>376459447
This isn't a Diablo 3 thread anon.
>>
>>376458821
The whole XP/Level grind in MMORPGs have to go. They're a pointless extra tread in player progression.
Everything's about finding better loot now.

Guild Wars 1, surprise, fucking nailed it.
Assuming you aren't sequence skipping, you hit Level 20 in no time, it was like the tutorial stage.
You get your Dual Class a while later in the desert which dramatically expands your options and versatility.
You get to max stat armor in the dwarven mountains a while after that.
The world is totally open to you at that point, and you go on challenging adventures, learning more Skills and finding unique weapons. Enemies got a few levels stronger beyond 20, but you won your fights by actually getting gud.

GW1 gave everyone a statistical baseline which would naturally be reached with little to no grind and no hoops to jump through. Getting shit done after that point was a matter of teamwork and personal skill, and you had a lot of options to mix things up, experiment and specialize for specific encounters so it didn't get boring.
>>
>>376443593
>What if we create literally three weapons for players to use for this entire expansion?
>What if those weapons also had the same transmog rules as weapons usually do, instead of being freely transmogable?
>Fucking brilliant!
>>
File: Chronicles-of-Elyria.jpg (340KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Chronicles-of-Elyria.jpg
340KB, 1000x563px
>>376459321
My friend's hyped for it. I'm looking forward to Chronicles of Elyria myself. The whole family thing's pretty cool, but I feel like the game's gonna die before it's even released over petty guild drama in the 6 month alpha/beta.
>>
>>376458821
>going from gw1 horizontal progression to gw2 vertical progression like every other fucking awful mmo

jesus christ how the FUCK did they think it was a good idea
>>
>>376456495
He claimed to have done so, but we have no actual evidence of it. He corrupted some powerful followers of the gods, but that's about it.
>>
>>376454762
mortal online enjoy getting raided by bandits
>>
>>376459596
>petty guild drama in the 6 month alpha/beta.
Explain
>>
Maybe you should stop playing a shit game genre and accept that it died years ago.
>>
>>376459638
Because hardly anyone involved in the first was involved in the second. most of devs of the second had not even played the first
>>
>>376459596
>MMO where your character ages and dies
Retarded gimmick.
>>
>>376459737
I quit because I was being singled out by a thief that was 3 times faster than me and managed to steal all my money on the first try. Was an awful experience since the country to thieves is gaming the system with a pocket filled with water or some shit.
>>
>>376442365
>GW2
>Next expansion is Crystal desert and Vabbi
>mounts
>Dragons cant be killed anymore because destabilization of magic
>balthazar back and tried to steal primordius' essence
>expansion campaign probably about killing him and the other gods
They had a chance to redeem this shit and they fucked it. The human gods were part of what made the setting special.
>>
>>376459596
>I'm looking forward to Chronicles of Elyria myself.
Get ready for RMT leading to P2W bullshit.
>>
>>376459527
I see EME still enjoys the feeling of lead in their foot. I guess I won't be coming back after all.
>>
>>376442365
gw2
>extremely shallow gameplay
>terrible writting
>terrible everything
>good ui and character customization
>the game world looks good in a stylized way
>the game isnt really worth playing

SWTOR
>world of warcraft in a starwars skin
>shitty and clunky
>has some ok writting
>its like an always online KOTOR sequel
>worst KOTOR ever made
>SHIT character customization
>SHIT graphics
>SHIT combat
>Still better than GW2
>Fun space dog fighting gameplay
>game is only worth playing if you want to see what could have been a singleplayer kotor sequel with coop and multiplayer.

honestly if you like oldschool mmos then BDO is the closest thing to mabinogi with vindictus combat
>>
File: gw109.jpg (540KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gw109.jpg
540KB, 1920x1080px
>>376459584
GW2 has the same principle, in that once you hit max level, you will quickly get stat capped gear and be able to tackle all the content (with higher tier fractals being an exception due to agony).

But yeah, I do agree that GW handled the leveling process itself better.
>>
>>376456530
ESO is basically a completely different game now than it was when you played
>>
>>376442365

I'm the opposite. Gw2 coming from wow is garbage to me.
Loved swtor, story is top notch.
>>
>>376459870
I refuse to believe it's actually Balthazar. His whole shtick was human dominance, and now he is suddenly willing to destroy Tyria and thus, by proxy, all of humanity?
>>
>>376459596
Chronicles of Elyria sounds like a giant mess to be played only by a few ERPing grown men.
>>
>>376459321
>MMO asking for $750k
Scam.
>>
>>376456530
they added level scaling to everything and hired a bunch of shills to trick you into thinking it's improved at all.
>>
File: swit.png (89KB, 412x181px) Image search: [Google]
swit.png
89KB, 412x181px
>>376459106
Oh please. Here, I made a build just for you that doesn't use a single class skill. It's completely class-agnostic. It do a lot of damage, buffs, debuffs and even a self heal. So you can pick whatever class you want and still do enough damage to do all content in the game.

>>376459147
>If you want to be a sneaky thief, the only way to do so is to take the "CAST SHADOW MAGIC TO DISAPPEAR INTO THE SHADOWS" spell from the edgelord nightblade skill trees.
Or drink an invisibility potion, or use gear that makes you less noticeable. I did all DB content including perfect sacraments on a templar.
>>
>>376459929
but legendaries are a thing

I miss the times where everything was equal
>>
>>376460264
The stat difference between legendaries and exotics is is almost negligible. Legendaries are pretty much exclusively just for bragging rights and the fancy looks.
>>
>>376442365
>where are all the non-mmos?
Where they belong: into the trash.
>>
>>376460193
Its got most of its funding elsewhere, they are just asking for extra cash because they are jews, like Star Citizen.
>>
>>376459929
>>376460264
>end game gear is all equal guise
>except for legendaries
>except for that new pink tier shit
>except for agony
>except for [insert new faggotry they'll probably add]

lolok
>>
>>376450992
>>376451016

Pantheon looks pretty decent. I'm just hoping the world will have enough content to be interesting
>>
>>376459112
Only if you have 200b lying around to take a contract that will reward you with a magnificent 20m in pure profit.
>>
As others have said a huge appeal of MMOs was the rise of online gaming in the early 00s and that's since gone away. Most of the popular games now are entirely match-based or just have basic lobbies/hubs.
The genre's in a really awkward transition period where sandbox MMOs are all the rage in theory but they usually fail to nail at least one vital important aspect (if not more) that makes them stay very niche. MMOs can't get away with a "better than the sum of its parts" excuse. You need a combination of a huge budget sandbox MMO (or at least something on the level of freedom of Runescape) and all those other games to start dropping off in popularity for MMOs to become popular again.
>>
>>376460193
Kickstarters are used to gauge how interested players are in the project.
>>
>>376459738
In addition to multiple alphas for those who made, the game is going to have a 3 month beta that won't be wiped. Since Chronicles of Elyria can be best described as EVE Online on the ground, I can just imagine these sorts of people causing so much drama in this timespan that nobody will want to get near it. But that's my cynicism.

>>376459816
I think it works pretty well. There isn't real permadeath; when your character dies from old age you pass on your skills to the next one. It takes a little while to get back to your original strength, but it allows you to get farther in that skill than you could in the previous life. It means people who got in early (say the 3 month beta) aren't always the strongest players. Power is always in flux, and I like that. Also, it's pretty cool that you can become literally any NPC in the game if you really want to.

>>376459880
Explain a bit further. What do you mean?
>>
>>376460417
Ascended gear is literally a downgrade compared to exotics. The sole purpose for its existence is that you can slot agony infusions in it, while exotics can be slotted with actual stat increasing stuff.
>>
>>376458740
Evetards always shit on mining as being boring and 'just press that one button, wait, haul and come back', but the fact is it's the most fun activity in the entire game. Every other activity is also 'just press that one button, wait, haul and come back' (EVEN PVP!!), but typically with a shorter turnaround time which means less time to mess around in guild chat or whatever, and with much less opportunity for collab (e.g. haul vs mining, scanning in case of wormhole mining, logistics, baiting). If only the bots were taken care of it would be the only activity worth doing in eve if not being so bored out of your mind you want to kill yourself irl is the goal.
>>
>>376457286
Telegraphs shouldn't be a big fucking circle on the ground. They should be the enemy's animation.
>>
>>376461152
That doesn't work in a situation with latency.
>>
File: og_aa_lg[1].jpg (746KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
og_aa_lg[1].jpg
746KB, 1200x630px
>tfw Archeage was great until they hamfisted in P2W bullshit and people realized you could just cheat engine every item in
>>
>>376442365
Dead the way Everquest clones do.
>>
>>376461321
that seems like a massive oversight, did they have no way to deal with it?
>>
>>376461152
This. I don't know why literally nobody gets it. Make the animations slower and/or more recognizable. Don't give a huge fucking circle on the fucking ground or other utter bullshit. Fuck. That's not a telegraph, that's a fucking tumor.
>>
>>376460890
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it feels like 99% of EVE Online is traveling from Point A to Point B in boring ass space. Just because it's a game set in space is not an excuse to have no interesting setpieces to fly through. Give me Starfox level design where I have to dodge asteroids or something.
>>
>>376461321
if the great p2w revelation never happened i'd imagine most people would have quit 2-3 months later realizing how neet2win it is
which is just as bad as pay2win
>>
>>376461152
The thing is, enemies still have tells. There's one fight I can think of where the boss hides a telegraph in a telegraph. So the most effective way to deal with it is to look for a tell.
Really, wildstar's combat system is pretty good. Telegraphs don't make the game baby mode, it's actually the opposite.
>>
>>376461152
This is actually an issue I have with FFXIV. The bosses that use animations or just cast timers tend to be difficult while those that telegraph are easy as fuck and you only get hit when you animation lock yourself, they spam your screen with them, or you are under a status effect and can't move.
>>
>>376445298
music, ambiance and satisfying champ cycle with a smooth market system made it amazing for me. I just played a human paladin, basic shit and loved it. Also my first mmo so might be biased. ESO is sucking dick compared to GW2.
>>
>>376461380
They tried banning anyone they could catch doing it but by the time they got anyone the damage to the economy had been done
>>
I still don't understand why no one made a Guild Wars 1 ripoff. That game manages to survive with WoW in its peak while other games died off, and there's a large playerbase burnt by the sequel they could pick up. Probably cheaper to produce than a WoW clone too.
>>
>>376461484
Savage/Extreme raiding doesn't give you AOE indicators, and that's the level of the game aimed at non-mouthbreathers.
>>
>>376461395
are you playing alone?
>>
>>376461152
Those kinda suck though. There are a few bosses in FF14 that dont have the avoid circles and it can be somewhat vague on how far away/to the side you have to get to avoid it.

That being said swtor ftp is the worst of all the mmo and is worth a one month sub if you want to play a star wars game.

I haven't played GW2 in years after i couldn't beat the last boss of HoT cause he kept bugging out and resetting on me and wasting my time. Please tell me they did not find a way to bring back that annoying plant that kept taking all your credit with his leaf sword.
>>
>>376461446
everything's going to be neet2win unless you base progression off loads of timers which would just piss most people off.
>>
>>376461745
You kill Trahearne yourself after you defeat Mordremoth because the last shred of Mordy's mind is in him.
>>
>>376460876
They're going to allow RMT when/if it goes live. So enjoy your Chinese gold farmer bots.
>>
>>376461321
Don't forget hackers teleporting their trade goods directly to cargo destinations, bypassing the entire PvP system and inflating the economy long before that.

>>376461525
>Also my first mmo so might be biased.
GW2 is great if it's your first MMO. But it's a disappointment if you played other MMOs and believed their manifesto, and it's an abomination if you've played GW1.
>>
>>376461868
Uhm, no Clive, just delete vertical progression from shitstain Korean grindfests and Everquest clones and become Eve Online.
>>
>>376461395
That's pretty much how it is. Travel to some place, setup shop, then do the go to destination > press your button > come back dance for a while, then pack up and move to the next location. Moving is in fact 99% of the thing. Even in massive wars where tidi > 90%, then you end up traveling for an entire day to reach just the other half of a solar system before you can shoot in hyper-slomo.
If it's pvp, you're most likely looking for a battlefield and then running around the plex for shit to kill by pressing your one button that activates all modules. Either you get webbed and you can do nothing but wait and die, or you don't get webbed and they can do nothing but wait and die. Either way, single button, haul the loot back and go to the next spot.
Mining and hauling are self-explanatory.
Missions also follow the same format: go to agent, then go to mission site, click your one "kill everything in sight" button, then come back and repeat.
Trading too but then it's moving across the trade interface instead.
Only things that aren't part of eve are exempt of that (the metagame, such as infiltrating corps and shit, but then you have to play the game, i.e. the repetitive shit, to complete this successfully).
>>
You can look up the SWG emulator.
>>
>>376461667
Yeah, but anything is fun with friends. Instead of playing something that's boring alone and maybe fun with groups, I could play something fun on its own merits and even more fun with friends.

Would you spend less time traveling from Point A to Point B if you were in a group of people?
>>
>>376462007
>having a life
>playing Eve
>>
>>376461614
That type of skill system is really difficult to do at all, let alone make not shitty.
after THREE YEARS I I've got just a basic system with only twenty skills so far
>>
>>376462319
Nope, but only one person would have to do the traveling, the others can follow automatically into warps and shit.
>>
>>376461614
Shittons of games lived along with wow until they killed themselves by turning into wow, poorly. You don't know shit about mmos and that's why you think gw1 was 1- ever an mmo 2- ever not mediocre.
>>
Call me when there's an MMO that doesn't require me to play nothing but itself in order to make some progress. There's too many good games for me to play the same shit for months.
>>
People like to fellate GW around these parts, but I have to wonder if they were playing the same game as I did back then.

PvP was a shitfest where new FOTM builds popped up like mushrooms, which were then nerfed at the end of the month and this cycle was neverending due to the dual class system.

You either played with the meta or got fucked, no questions asked.
>>
File: CureForWellness2.jpg (83KB, 1280x824px) Image search: [Google]
CureForWellness2.jpg
83KB, 1280x824px
>>376453243

Not at all. I actually consider Vanguard's failure to be the point of no return where a AAA MMO that wasn't a clone of WoW failed miserably. After Vanguard failed all MMORPG dev teams just copied WoW.

Fuck I miss Vanguard.
>>
>>376462619
>i cant build a character so no one else can
>>
File: world_of_darkness.jpg (129KB, 718x405px) Image search: [Google]
world_of_darkness.jpg
129KB, 718x405px
FUCK YOU CCP.

FUCK YOU HARD.
>>
>>376442365
TOR is making some mad money for EA, I think in their last report it was the one making most money
>>
List of features that were in mmos 18 years ago and that I want to see again in mmos today (monsters are included in the term NPC):

>Every single NPC can be killed
>Every single NPC belong to multiple factions, when you kill said NPC you lose points towards these factions and win points with the opposing factions.
>Every race and most intelligent monsters can speak in their own tongue and learn other languages
>You talk like a retard when your character has a low intelligence
>Gore elements to credibilize the world
>Most NPCs drop items you can use for fun stuff, including meat. I want to craft dwarf sandwich or elven roasts again.
>A completely different starting city/village for every race
>Every single zone is deadly and contain much higher level monsters
>Death is extremely punishing
>>
>>376462856
That's all off the back of cosmetic items that autistic RPers buy.
>>
>>376455012
>>376453320
I think Gods were weakened between GW1 and 2, we don't know why yet but they're plotting something under the radar. It's made obvious by Balth using some Lyssa magic to disguise himself as Lazarus.
>>
>>376462963

What do we even have to look forward to besides Age of Camelot?
>>
>Pantheon missed KS goal
>haven't heard anything about it since

Is it dead or is there still signs of life?
>>
File: F Aman.jpg (614KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
F Aman.jpg
614KB, 1920x1080px
>>376442365
Tera is doing well enough to get console ports and I think Tera 2 is in development too.

Or is it doing poorly that makes console ports happen?

Either way there's work being done for it to work and since it doesn't run very well on PC whatever engine fixes they make so consoles can run it will likely end up on the PC as well.
>>
>>376462963
>>Death is extremely punishing
I miss dropping equipped stuff on death and full PVP up everywhere. Those were the days.
>>
>>376463167
Pretty sure there was a shill for that game here a week ago. Shit looked terrible and yet he defended it with tooth and nail.
>>
>>376463119
Pantheon maybe
>>
File: 1489971331472.png (42KB, 161x110px) Image search: [Google]
1489971331472.png
42KB, 161x110px
>gw1
>pretty much infinite possibilities with skills, dual spec and party comps
>gw2
>skills bound to items
>like 10 skills

I do not understand how any sane person thought this was a good and necessary change. I do not understand any of it at all. I do not know what I did to deserve this.
>>
>>376463356
>>376463381
Kek.
>>
>>376461998
I don't think it will work that way. Land and resources are limited, and players can already script their characters to do things while they're offline, so I don't think creating a bot farm is financially viable. If bots are used, it will be to either to accomplish tasks not covered in NPC scripts or to complete scripted tasks more efficiently. It won't be a horde of bots running a train like in other MMOs.
>>
>>376463356

Well fuck, that was the only project I vaguely remembered as sounding interesting when it was first announced.
>>
File: 1448585725896.gif (2MB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448585725896.gif
2MB, 500x600px
>>376463212
more like no one is dumb enough to play this piece of shit anymore so theyre moving to a dumber market
>>
>>376459737
IRL Turk thieves no less
>>
>>376463356
>>376463474
It's not dead though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0F228Rkhxk
>>
>>376463431
Plenty of skills but
>do some damage
>do MORE damage
>do damage AND a condition
is like the majority of the skills in the game.
>>
WILDSTAR blew me away, I played it all summer when it released. The dungeons in that game blew WoW raids out of the water. The raids in the wildstar blew itself out of the water. Very few people killed a single raid boss for many months and alot gave up. That and the pvp matching making wasnt balanced.
>>
>>376463474
pantheon is doing fine, still prealpha but it looks to be the last hope for old style MMOs
>>
>>376454628
Yes.
>>
>>376464183
Wildstar just went even ruther in the "coop action game" trend we've seen in """"mmos"""" for the last 10 years and no one wanted that.

Mmorpgs will make their comeback when the devs understand what RPGs are.
>>
>>376442365
GW2 gets too much hate from gw1 fags. Out of all it's pretty decent and the mainproblem (endgame) has been fixed for a while with fractals and raids.
>>
>>376451689
>Eso recovered
It didn't recover. Most people who got through launch are still playing this game only because of its name.
>>
>>376465347
Delusional fuck.
>>
>>376458360
>and then do pointless stuff with pretty bad gameplay, it's not because everyone thinks quests are bad that you have to replace them with something even worse.
Are implying WoW/FFXIV has a better one?
>>
>>376465627
Na i just don't have a stick in my ass.
>>
The age of MMOs is dead.
Until someone comes along and makes an actual good one thats not a korean grind fest.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-fm1HHUjA
>>
>>376465347
What about the story being super trash? The actual gameplay is "meh" as well. Love the map design and graphical style, but it feels bleh to play. Skill system is too limited, controls feel loose. Orr on release was an absolute shitshow as well, with absurd mob density of bloated HP enemies, broken public quests all over the place, and boring to look at.

Hope they fix it, would love to enjoy the game again but couldn't be assed to even finish the launch story.
>>
>>376465868
Yap Personal Story (besides Sylvari and the 3 clans) are pretty shit. Nobody denies that.
>>
>>376442365
Is the GW2 xpac free or at least cheap yet? I stopped playing the day it was released because it looked like the most boring xpac to an MMO ever and I actually liked GW2.
>>
>>376465687
>Are implying WoW/FFXIV has a better one?

I don't really know what that means, but yes I'm implying questing in those 2 games is better than leveling in GW2.
>>
I just want to play WoW casually and just have something to dick around in when I don't want to play anything else like I used to, but it's a shit game that people look at you cross for playing like ASSFAGGOTS.
>>
>>376456365
>>376456130
OP asked about gw2, eso, tor, and wildstar, not ultima online, nobody cares about what you think of the mmo genre, it's not the topic. your post makes as much sense as talking about ff14
>>
>>376466515
wrong
>>
>>376447586
Do the story dumbass.
>>
>>376442365
>GW2
Not GW1, that said it has a steady population, fun gameplay, releases new maps and story every 2-3 months and has an exp on the way. Story is mediocre but best than most mmos. Maps are absolutely gorgeus and fun to explore.

>Wildstar
Like many have said, it was build to fit a niche that didn't really exist, and thats why it failed so hard

>SWTOR
Top tier story, shit everything else, play it like a single player game and it may be worth some time spent.

>TESO
Awful at lauch, only got better since. Prob has the biggest player base of them all, close maybe to GW2. The one Tamriel update made wonders to the game and it also has an exp on the way.

tl;dr: GW2 is great, TESO is great, wildstar is dead, SWTOR isn't even an mmo
>>
>>376467003
Agreed to everything except GW2 because I didn't play it
>>
Is Guild Wars 2 any good? It looks cool.
>>
>>376457051

I keep forgetting to look into moonlight blade. I'm a huge sucker for wuxia.
>>
>>376467268
no
>>
>>376464183
It's a good game, but it ran like shit on a majority of systems. I think that's what scared most people away from it.
>>
>>376467268
if it was gw1 it would be good

and its not gw1
>>
>>376454396
>>376454553
>>376455019
my rage has burned away into pure apathy.

I lost City of Heroes for GW2, and I found the trade unequal.

I am also still beyond butthurt. It has gone throughout my entire digestive tract and destroyed even my mouth with acidic shit.
>>
File: everything sucks.jpg (28KB, 587x404px) Image search: [Google]
everything sucks.jpg
28KB, 587x404px
>>376467495
>ywn go to the moon base
>>
File: gw2 (280).jpg (283KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
gw2 (280).jpg
283KB, 1680x1050px
>>376465973
Man, I loved Orr, even more so at launch.
It was really unique to have that whole player driven campaign in a place that wasn't welcoming at all if you tried to go solo.
>>
Wildstar had extremely nice combat. Too bad it had a tonne of problems including shit performance.
>>
>>376466097
The price was permanently cut in half a few weeks ago.
>>
>>376467347
>>376467390
ok then
>>
>tfw GW2 completely destroyed your appetite for playing games for a few years it was so bad
I still to this day don't know how a group of devs can fuck up that badly even if they weren't connected to the original.
>>
I miss playing MMOs with /v/. Always something new, new people to meet every few months from 2009-2016 or so. Now it's just kind of barren, and lonely. Feels bad, man. Some people were able to connect to groups that withstood the jump from game to game, but I never was able to.

I miss being a degenerate.
>>
>>376468127
Drop the nostalgia goggles, a lot of people are enjoying the game as it is and not as the spiritual sequel to GW1.
>>
>>376468338
And they are entitled to enjoy just as much as I'm entitled to call it a casualised shallow piece of shit.
>>
File: screenshot_121129-22-15-25.jpg (216KB, 1264x946px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_121129-22-15-25.jpg
216KB, 1264x946px
>>376467704
>tfw no private movie theatre or bombass sushi bar anymore

Fuuuuuuck! I can't even make this shit in minecraft without it being ridiculously out of scale to the character!
>>
>>376468030
>Man, I loved Orr, even more so at launch.
How. The area just wasn't fun. I was legit enjoying the game up until that point (though post level 60 it started to wane as the story got shit). But Orr was just zombies every 10 feet with assloads of HP. They weren't a threat alone, just took forever to kill and there were no real "open" areas so you had to constantly fight shit to get anywhere. I know it was supposed to be threatening but it was mostly just a boring slog since the individual fights weren't exciting.

Having quests that just didn't function at all sure didn't help. Redownloading GW2 right now, hope it got better but not hoping for much. Also giving away the base game for free but not giving a deal to those that owned the base game was a fucking dick move, and is why I never bought the expansion.
>>
>>376468639
Fuck this. I need a 3D Terraria where I can build my fucking kawaii shit and have it look usable.
Fuck your fucking cubes.
>>
>>376463212
>Tera 2
so basically scarlet blade 2? judging by how shitty the devs have gotten with their pandering i don't expect anything good out of Bluehole ever again
>>
>>376451727
>he doesn't like healin
L M A O
>>
>>376461321
Most fun I've ever had playing a game probably. It was a great two months
>>
File: 1458753791916.jpg (67KB, 338x415px) Image search: [Google]
1458753791916.jpg
67KB, 338x415px
>>376442365
>GW2
>tfw changed main to Rev when it released cause loved the way it played
>tfw watched as my new main was butchered to the ground with nerfs, and unfixed bugs
>keep struggling with it because hopeful that the next Elite spec will be good
>Elite specs get leaked
>Rev's looks okayish at best
>some nobody gw2 charr that autistic screecher will probably defend in this thread is the new legend
>testers say they found it to be the weakest and most boring out of all new specs
>mfw
>>
>>376442365
Is Wildstar worth checking out if I'm just looking for a fun MMO to tide me over until Stormblood?
>>
>>376471247
no
>>
>>376468338
you have shit taste gw2 was a failure
>>
>>376458821
>It's as if they acknowledge that leveling is a huge bore so they give players a way to skip it.
I would play GW2 if they did the fucking opposite and make the leveling harder

Hell give me a glass cannon mode. I dont care if its optional. I just want to die if I dont party up to do leveling content.

Why the fuck do developers ALWAYS do the wrong fucking thing with leveling. If people dont enjoy it then its because its too fucking easy. Its not grinding if its challenging, because if its challenging the player has to think and engage which makes it fun.
>>
>>376471672
It's for once you have a max level character so you don't have to do the same thing all over again.

But people in general won't play games where the leveling takes forever because they can just swap to another game where they get that skinner box rolling fast. And since when did a game have challenging leveling? EQ and FFXI didn't for sure unless you really wanted to push yourself (which most groups didn't since dying sucked).
>>
I miss Wildstar. Too bad more people didnt stay. Got to max level and stopped playing because of work schedule. Most entertaining combat Ive experienced. Better than ESO which I put more hours in for some god forsaken reason.
>>
File: 1296366797385.jpg (113KB, 936x398px) Image search: [Google]
1296366797385.jpg
113KB, 936x398px
>All the ESO fags in here

Hows the werewolf play in ESO? Is it shit? Few games I play actually let you be a werewolf. Viable in pvp?
>>
>>376472864
>Viable in pvp
Saw an old vid of 2v1 pvp and that 1 guy turn to ww and trash the other 2, pretty hilarious.
>>
>>376464546
It looks like shit faggot.
>>
So what mmo do I play mmotards
>>
>>376474226
none of the above, dead genre
>>
File: 1493163630207.png (295KB, 500x534px) Image search: [Google]
1493163630207.png
295KB, 500x534px
>>376454989
>SWG will never be a thing again
>>
File: 1430746811271.png (72KB, 334x329px) Image search: [Google]
1430746811271.png
72KB, 334x329px
>>376470942
ArcheAge from release up to the failure castle content patch and cash shop bullshit was a serious top tier 10/10 MMO

The griefing, territory PvP, banter in global, faction traitors, everything that happened at sea, class builds, guild camaraderie and joint efforts, neat garden and house tending and comfy trade pack delivery were superb until it was ruined by the publisher

First month of BDO was also total top tier if you took your time leveling and saw all the content. Amazing graphics and flashy combat made it incredibly enjoyable.

At max level there was nothing to do besides grind mobs for skill xp (grinding mobs was also the fastest way of getting money, thereby killing professions) so you could own people in PvP who didn't grind as much as you with the P2W ghillie suit.
There was also only 2 viable classes for PvP at the time - sorc and ranger. The power gap to the other classes was immense.

I hope something similar comes out soon because while these 2 games peaked fast and fell fast, they peaked very high.
>>
File: 1385270761302.jpg (26KB, 359x876px) Image search: [Google]
1385270761302.jpg
26KB, 359x876px
>>376476698
>Could literally jump on to people boats, kill them, and steal them
It's painful knowing that we will never experience something quite like that ever again
>>
>>376462295
>Requires you to go out somewhere and buy the actual game or find an obscure ass pirate version
>Still bugged AF
>Dick for population
Plus I know the server A LOT came from. Terrible people
>>
I like the direction WoW took with Legion but it was all completely rekt by the incompetent diablo devs. Why the hell do these people still have their jobs is beyond me.
>tfw the newest expansion in the year of our lord 2017 has worse class balance than vanilla WoW had
>>
>>376477416
It was the closest thing to a pirate MMO we will get

Sailing out with your guild fleet with 200 trade packs to deliver on the pirate island only to be ambushed on arrival by guilds and individuals wanting to steal your cargo was an actual, natural every day event and not some made up greentext story.

It was everything a modern MMO should be. Player driven to an extent, with rewards gated by teamwork. Natural world PvP for attractive gameplay objectives instead of locked to arenas/battlegrounds
>>
>>376465483
Are you implying XIV didn't recover either?
>>
>>376472864
>Viable in pvp?
Yes. A wolfpack made out of 12 people wrecked shit on EU PC a few days back.
>>
>>376456530
Level scaling

I just wish TESO would at least allow limited graphical mods. It's weird playing a TES in vanilla format, but I understand how some mods could ruin PvW.
>>
>>376478043

It was EVE without needing a diagnosis of Autism to enjoy. Had tons of hype behind it, but dev was short sighted and didn't know how to enter the western market with it.Most mmo's fail in this category, FFXIV is the only mmo that has survived and release and grown big to be a true commercial success. Even then though, it took a lot of work to make it so and they are tripping over how to make expansions interesting at the moment which is something WoW went through as well.
>>
It warms my heart to see Memestar eat shit. Their playerbase is/was complete cancer even for MMO standards.
>>
File: 1468660932124.jpg (313KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
1468660932124.jpg
313KB, 1536x864px
The only MMO I'm looking forward to at the moment.

Graphics look like ass but it's whatever.
>>
>>376471134
I feel you
>>
>>376453964
Even ignoring WoD, Cataclysm is far worse than Legion, by every concievable metric.

I think Legion is a clear step up from Pandaria as well.

And if you consider the fact that Wrath added Dungeon finder into the game, and its first full raid tier was a rehash, all of a sudden Legion is among the best.
>>
>>376478408
FFXIV won't even post sub numbers. From what SuperData gives us, TOR is more successful than FFXIV.
>>
Which mmos are best for gold selling?
>>
>>376479125
WoW
>>
File: warriorsbalancedplzbuff.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
warriorsbalancedplzbuff.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>376464183 the pvp in this game was something else lol. Here's 1 of 500 screenshots I can post of my warrior just 1vX-ing the enemy team
>>
>>376478904
No, no way. MoP was only marginally worse than Wrath, which many consider to be the game's highest point. MoP was the last time they attempted to make new lore and focus on the discovery of a new place.

You might argue that WoD and Legion have better raiding than MoP, and you'd be right for the first tier of MoP, but ToT and SoO were fantastic raids better than anything WoD had to offer.
>>
File: iu[1].png (117KB, 372x351px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].png
117KB, 372x351px
>>376478408
>FFXIV is the only mmo that has survived and release and grown big to be a true commercial success.
By what possible metric?
>>
>>376479414
>Muh lore
>muh discovery
I agree Pandaria was only marginally worse than wrath, but guess what, Wrath was overrated. It wasn't bad by any means, but it was very flawed and the last patch started a three expansion death spiral that legion is just now digging the game out of.

Legion's lore might not come out of a void like Pandaria's does but it expands on existing lore in meaningfull ways. The zones might not be huge vistas like Pandaria's were but each one is packed with more content that makes exploration actually feel rewarding.

World quests blow ALL of WoW's daily questing out of the water, and there is exactly one zone that has a mediocre main quest(Azuna) while the other three leveling zones are interesting, with Suramar actually being quite engaging.

Not only that but Legion's five man design is the best its been since Wrath, bar none.

Not only that, but giving five mans a mode that people actually have to nut up and party build for is literally the best thing Blizzard has done since they put Dungeon finder in the game(which is a fucking pox btw).

WoW might be past its prime, but Legion is a solid fucking expansion, and anybody who thinks differently is assmad at a bit of grinding(which has very generous catch up built in) or booty bothered that they didn't get the Iwin legendary.
>>
Get started in EVE Online while you still can. Soon the capsuleer positions will be filled, and when it is the only game that still exists, the rest of you will be forced to remain normal humans. Good luck,
>>
>>376480039
>World quests blow ALL of WoW's daily questing out of the water
They're just as boring though
>Not only that but Legion's five man design is the best its been since Wrath, bar none.
desu I had more fun in dungeons in vanilla/BC. You actually had to think before pulling and use CC, something Legion ignores almost completely.
>WoW might be past its prime, but Legion is a solid fucking expansion, and anybody who thinks differently is assmad at a bit of grinding(which has very generous catch up built in) or booty bothered that they didn't get the Iwin legendary.
Sounding a bit like a shill there m8
>>
GW2 is objectively the best MMO available right now. WoW 2nd, everything else is meh.
>>
File: 1494388967383.jpg (96KB, 446x435px) Image search: [Google]
1494388967383.jpg
96KB, 446x435px
is Pso2 worth it? I need a new mmo to play with a friend, is there anything new that looks promising?
>>
>>376480298
I'm not sure if this is a joke or not, I hear eve recently went pay to win
>>
File: 1491059311715.png (232KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1491059311715.png
232KB, 512x384px
>>376452908
I bought the game for 5$ and i easily have over 100 hours and i am yet to finish all the content.

As yes, content, better quests than any MMO i played and better than any quest that Skyrim shat out.

In my opinion is the best fucking 5$ i have ever spent and i am willing to pay for the DLCs when i finish everything.
>>
>>376480820
>They're just as boring though
Yeah, they are, but after you do it for a few days you can pick out the easy ones and do each zone in less than ten minutes.

>desu I had more fun in dungeons in vanilla/BC. You actually had to think before pulling and use CC, something Legion ignores almost completely.
Agreed, which is why I said its the best dungeon design since Wrath. Van/BC is the definitive peak of WoW and I'm not going to argue that.

>Sounding a bit like a shill there m8
Say what you want, I haven't seen a single complaint about Legion that didn't boil down to casuals bitching.

>Muh ap grind
>muh RNG legendary
>Muh mythic not having LFD functionality
>Muh enemy ilevel scaling(this one is new)

Literally just people who have no business playing an MMO having to acclimate to the fact that they aren't being babbied(as much) this time around.

Call me a shill if you want, but I legitimately think Blizzard has spent over half a decade ruining WoW, and Legion is the first expansion that can be considered "not a dumpster fire" in a long time.
>>
>>376461321
>tfw put a good 800 hours into the game
>was excited
>my hopes are dreams were swiftly crushed by p2w, hacking, botting and terrible design with housing
fucking kill me
i still miss flipping my boat
>>
>>376443170
I just can't get back into GW2 got 5 characters to max lvl and then took a break, then the new content came out and it just seemed like everything died off. My clan disbanded because no one was active anymore, and overall the game just hasn't be able to get me back.
>>
>>376478043
>tfw pirates would stock fishing boats to try and take their tasty fish
shit was really fun.
>>
>>376480934
GW2 is a warning for every other mmo why you shouldn't ignore the trinity.
>>
Rytlock will take Balthazar's place as the new GoW, and will become the first charr god.
>>
>>376482084
I would be so fucking mad
>>
>>376481534
I legitimately think Blizzard has spent over half a decade ruining WoW, and Legion is the first expansion that can be considered "not a dumpster fire" in a long time.
I agree, but the artifact system in general is pretty shitty desu. I also just don't get why they butchered pvp and are generally trying to make the game more "egalitarian".
>>
>>376442365
SWTOR's focus on single player class based stories and lack of actual world building basically disqualified it from being an actual MMO.

Don't really know about the others.
>>
File: 1493753405493.png (73KB, 311x304px) Image search: [Google]
1493753405493.png
73KB, 311x304px
>>376482084
DELETE THIS
>DELETE THIS
DELETE THIS
>DELETE THIS
DELETE THIS
>DELETE THIS
>>
>>376442365
For as much as people shit on it nowadays, GW2 is a pretty solid MMO. It's not without serious flaws though.

Starting the game, it has some of the best written storylines of most MMOs out there right now, enhanced if you played the original GW. Among the problems that come of it though include the fact that you will be presented with choices along the way that, aside from the ones involved in choosing your factions/subfactions (decisions that are heavily telegraphed), very few of them are actually meaningful. That's not to say having player choice in the story is always a necessity, but the way it is presented always made me ask "why didn't they do more with this?"
Also about 3/4ths of the way through the main questline, the story sorta gives up, leading to a lackluster final fight where you Kill the big bad (Zhaitan) in a fucking turret section after an entire dungeon of basically doing nothing but fighting waves of ads..
As others have pointed out as well, the living world story content was pretty awful up until (arguably) the third season. In the first one, they spent almost the entire time building up some nobody Sylvari into being a Mary Sue VILLAIN ABOVE ALL VILLAINS whose sole goal was to fuck the whole world up. tldr; a bunch of enemy faction stories get ruined by association and arguably the best city in the game gets wrecked for a long-ass time.

Combat was decently smooth; a nice middle-ground between the rather static combat of WoW and the more hack and slash style later games were shooting for. Biggest gripe there is that they tried to replace the Tank-Healer-DPS trinity with a system where each class essentially had abilities that would combine with another class's ability to make each more powerful in order to promote teamwork. Unfortunately a lot of battles end up being too much of a clusterfuck to really make good on that idea (also the particle effects were WAY too much).
>>
>>376447647
WvW still makes me angry. With the second expansion being leaked to hell and back, and nothing new being showed about WvW at all, I fear that they're just gonna give it the same treatment they did, with vanilla dungeons.
>>
>>376445603

Is there anybody actually insisting Andromeda is good?
>>
>>376442365
>>376482514
PvP was alright. The loss of Guild vs Guild from the first game was a fucking travesty, and WvWvW often lacked variety. The latter should have been improved so that any size of group (individual, small parties, or massive zergs) could have fun; as it was, only the massive zergs felt fun in the long run.

Biggest gripe of them all was the lack of end-game content. I can’t really put my finger on it, but while GW1 basically did fine after you hit max cap and the story was over, GW2 always felt like it was missing something. It didn’t help that there was something of a feeling of despair coming after release when I realized how few of the original team were still involved in maintaining the games development.

Overall solid though. I have periodic urges to return, but I always hit the wall of realizing just how much I’ve missed over the years and how the act of catching up on it all won’t end up really being a social experience.

As for the market as a whole, I think the fact that most recent MMOs over the last few years only pulled relatively minor profits vs investment means that a lot of publishers have wised up to the reality that very little headway is likely to be made until WoW REALLY starts hemorrhaging subs. The only alternative would be to sate market demand for a truly sandbox MMO, but the investment to make one of those is greater than your typical themepark-style, so it’s a hard sell to get a project like that started and to release.
>>
>>376442365

Playing & enjoying ESO at the moment. My only complaint would be that champion levels (levelling system once you hit max level) take forever once you run out of enlightenment (it's just rested XP from WoW).

Very chill game to come home and start playing. I recommend it to anyone who needs a game to spend all their time on.
>>
>>376482283
>I agree, but the artifact system in general is pretty shitty desu
I disagree. It almost feels like the old talent system in a way. I don't care about replacing weapons 100 times during an expansion either

>I also just don't get why they butchered pvp
WoD did this. I don't play PvP very often but PvP being shitty isn't new to Legion, and will continue to be a problem until Holinka is fired.

>are generally trying to make the game more "egalitarian".
Not completely sure what you mean by this, but if I'm interpreting this right, Cata, MoP and WoD were far more "egalitarian" than Legion.

Legion is willing to pass off shit legendaries to people and tell them to just deal with it.
>>
File: dog lol.jpg (22KB, 885x809px) Image search: [Google]
dog lol.jpg
22KB, 885x809px
>>376443593
>Legion's a great mmo and the only one worth playing right now
>>
File: 1377212089451.gif (1MB, 223x200px) Image search: [Google]
1377212089451.gif
1MB, 223x200px
>>376457012
>327 in-game
wildstar you were meant to be the chosen one
>>
What happened to that MMO that Richard Garriott was making?
>>
>>376482987
>Not completely sure what you mean by this
The fact mobs level with you/scale with you takes away any sense of danger in the world or progression. The only place you can feel stronger with better gear is in the dps meters or the sparse wpvp. Also the idea that everyone's a hero is underwhelming. I miss being a nobody.

Note that I'm a BC/wrath player who's just coming back.
>>
>SWTOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwHS4-vDlvo
>>
File: clench everything.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
clench everything.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
Play wildstar now before it's completely ruined by poorly thought out updates.
>>
>>376458660
I've never played GW1, only watched a few lore videos, but from playing Heart of Thorns, I can't help but feel like they're trying to do some return to form, here.

Jeremy Soule didn't write the OST for it, and there's a new class called the revenant, which revolves channeling dead guys from the past, using the mists. Each of which, were more prevalent in GW1, and pretty much forgotten in 2.
You can channel Shiro, Ventari, etc.

I dunno. Just felt like throwing in my two cents. Still doesn't change the fact that the expansion would hardly fix the core content.
>>
>>376443667
It sucked before, but now it's not bad. The Artifact Knowledge scaling makes it so if you just wait a few weeks you'll get 5x more AP so the people who grind all day are barely ahead. You can grind if you want, but just play casually and you still will be good.

You can get 1 legendary a week easily now, so it's not too bad anymore.
>>
>>376483649
Mobs scale to stay ahead of you. They decided to do that because they realized players would be two shotting everything, as opposed to four shotting things like they are now.

>Everyone is a heero is underwhelming, I miss being a nobody
Kind of hard to justify being a nobody in-game when you kill world ending threats.

A nobody taking care of a spooky cave in the middle of nowhere is one thing, A nobody preventing the legion from overrunning Azeroth is another. Also, this has been a thing since WoD as well. So yeah.
>>
I want an MMO built around not having raids or instanced PvP.

Make the open world relevant, make it player driven, give something for PvE and PvP players to do. Make areas of the open world require groups.
>>
Did anything come from that new one that Lord British was working on? I have been out of the loop for a while.
>>
>>376457051
I wish black desert didn't go to shit. I've been playing since launch but the meta right now is so trash. Witches, wizards, and dark knights only. Every other class is useless in PvP and node wars are literally just which groups of witches hit first.

There's supposed to be a big balance patch in the works that is based on the kdr of all the classes but I doubt it's gonna fix anything. Ultimate teleport + range + cc is just too OP
Die without a chance to react.

Combat needs a major overhaul before it can actually become competitive.

Until then I'll just keep life skilling and slowly grinding out some RNG
>>
File: 1462481739113.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1462481739113.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>376442365
>Gw2
Shit but still alive, SJW ridden but that's a non issue compared to the fact they rape their own lore. I was in a guild with SJWs and they were fed up with everything as much as everyone else and when some fucking boogieman from /v/ and SJW boogieman agree on something you know you fucked up. The primary reason it failed was NCsoft fucking everything up. Pushing as much content to the cash shop as they could and driving off the Gw1 Anet devs.

I am reluctantly hanging on for the Xpack simply because I'm this far into the shit I can't shovel myself out.

>Wildstar
Appealed to "the hardcore" and when that failed, they went causal and split the playerbase. Unless your in a good active guild which are few and far between there is nothing to do... at all... Also, NCsoft had a hand I'm sure.

>SWTOR
Never played it, but they call it the Tortanic for a reason. Though I hear it improved.

>ESO
Actually got pretty good, rough start but it's fine now aside a few gripes I here about like the leveling being grindy.
>>
>>376457012
B-but HARDCORE CUPCAKES! FOR SCIENCE!!!1111 le randum hamster people xDDD #teamfrost lol The devs are listeningâ„¢ ^^ If you don't like it gb2WoW xD WS is WoW done right!

It is literally Battleborn the MMO, with cancer, le random humor and meme-faggotry everywhere.
>>
File: 1366434183535.jpg (60KB, 500x675px) Image search: [Google]
1366434183535.jpg
60KB, 500x675px
Are there MMOs that don't require a ton of grinding to get into, or at least make progression fun? I haven't played a MMO since Runescape (Quit in 2007 or so when summoning was added), and want to try it again. I liked how Runescape's quests were all interesting beyond killing 10 x, and how even stuff like cooking was fun. Though even then you had to grind, especially when it came to improving religion.
>>
>>376482084
>charr dont believe in gods
>shitlock ascends to godhood
I swear to Dwayna, if this shit happens I will for once actually question their writing and stop playing the story.
>>
>>376443170
>GW2 since release
That game has the soul of a facebook farmville game. You have abhorrent tastes.
>>
>>376486535
>It is literally Battleborn the MMO
It's really not though.
>>
File: cat.jpg (67KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
67KB, 500x334px
There was a ESO sale for $10 earlier this year, decided to try it out and was actually surprised at how fun the game was with no weapon restrictions first person view combat.

The leveling Storyline seemed good for an mmo, but that's probably because most mmos don't even have a storyline outside of the occasional chain quest.
>>
>>376442365
Bought ESO on sale with all the dlc and it's pretty good.
>>
>>376486578
I wish I knew the story behind this image so bad.
>>
>>376486793
It literally is, complete with the cancerous fanboys going into threads/forums of other games around that time (archeage, ESO, Tera, WOW) and trumpeting how AWESOME and HARDCORE it will be and how all the other games ar shit and stupid and casual and bla bla bla
>>
>>376463474
Actually the game is doing great and was pretty much successfully funded, just needs a little bit more time, I think it'll come out in 2018, possibly towards the end. Can't wait for it personally, it's basically all I wanted since EQ.
>>
I basically missed this entire thread, but I came here to say GW2 is probably one of the worst MMOs ever made. It failed on every promise, disregarded the game it was built from and lied endlessly to remain relevant.

The fact that people still play it is disturbing, considering from day one it's entire design philosophy was a failure.
>>
>>376486934
It literally isn't.
>>
>>376453868
>true debuffer class
no it didn't
>>
>>376461549
Don't forget the part where people who apologized got unbanned.
>>
>>376459595
I miss maces and fist weapons on my rogue :(
>>
>>376483848
More like play it before NC Soft takes it down. Carbine has a new project, they're not working on the game except minor updates anymore and it's only a matter of time before NC pulls the game.
>>
As someone who's put 50+ hours into ESO and GW2, plus 20 to Wildstar - I'm actually really inclined to say the most "fun" is wildstar in that rantchet n clank movement/jumping way. The Combat style (that ESO and GW2 to a lighter extent) is fun for PvE and PvP + it's f2p model is the most fair unless you want 12 alts. Ive been leveling and it takes long enough to be fun and the quests are actually really enjoyable, plus the crafting/gathering are "fun" along with the art style.

Idk, I wish it was more popular but I'd call it far from dead
>>
The key is to not take it seriously, I've been playing a Ragnarok private server for months now and I only play when I feel like it. Still haven't interacted with anyone just roaming empty fields by myself.
>>
>>376487383
They're not working on the game because they don't have enough people to do anything more than quality of life changes and cash shop updates.
>>
>>376447247
Every time we have these threads we have at least one chuckle fuck that parrots this trying to sound clever.

Then all you need to do is see the huge influx of interest every time a new vanilla server crops up and realize at least a third are people who never even existed when vanilla was actually big to know you're full of shit.
>>
>love mmorpgs
>hate pvp

it fucking sucks. black desert would be perfect if it wasn't for the fucking pvp

>grindin
>chillin
>listenin to music

>gets ruined by some faggot camping the zone and one shotting everyone
>>
>>376442365

Guild Wars 2 is in a weird position. Population wise it seems fine, and the game has sold a lot of copies and all, but many of the important people on the development staff have quit, and I mean lead people like Colin Johansson, Jon Peters, Chris Whiteside and Jeff Grub, which were the Director, the Lead Systems Developer, Lead Producer, and Loremaster/writer respectively. A lot of others have quit along the way too.

Some being poached by Bungie, some being poached by Amazon Game Studios.

So they've lost a lot of the staff that made GW2 what it is and have had to carry on with the CEO of Arenanet now being the director. Still, they get regular free content updates.. so it's not a bad MMO

SWTOR was making a killing off of Microtransactions a few years ago. I'm not sure how it's doing now but I didn't like the last expansion they had so I stopped playing, the redesign on how loot was distributed being largely RNG based just sucks ass. There's some good stories in there but the game is just not fun to play. Its gameplay has always been "janky"

TESO is the most popular MMO on consoles, it's doing well, about to have the Morrowind expansion. I play it from time to time, and I play a little GW2 from time to time.

I never played Wildstar beyond beta and saw it was going to be a fucking trainwreck, it was the fastest I've ever uninstalled an MMO while trying my best to give it a legit try. I uninstalled it after about 5 hours, when a memory leak was using about 6GB of RAM and crashed because at the time I only had 8GB. This was 2 weeks before launch and they had a critical memory leak like that? Yeah that game was going to be a mess. I also hated the non combat paths. It died really quickly and I haven't heard that even F2P has picked it back up. I think it's about as dead as it gets. When NCSoft shareholder reports came out it was always dead last in earnings.

I thought it would have been canned by now.
>>
>>376484538
So EVE
>>
I remember people hating the WoW themeparks and were hyping up a sandbox MMO called Peria Chronicles to save MMOs, where is it now? Or were only weebs hyping that up?
>>
>>376487998
>Colin
good, fuck him and his lies
>>
>>376459596
90% chance of it being fucking awful garbage but might be pretty good if it isnt
>>
Met a girl on GW2 who masturbated with me on Skype. 10/10 would play again.

She was surprisingly cute too. Nice got a. Not even fat.
>>
>>376487819
But the reason to grind is PvP
There's no pve content in that game
>>
>>376488389
Post pics
>>
>>376488391

yeah i know. but the combat is just so satisfying. i just love zoning out and killing shit over and over. seeing how high i can get my gear. i don't give a shit about competing against other players.

i completely realize i'm in the minority but, but meh that's just me.
>>
>>376488389
Post pics or it didn't happen , and how big is your willy, dont lie
>>
Gonna be shit on but any PS4 ESO players here? I could use some more buddies that aren't totally inept.
>>
>>376488253

GW2 delivered on a lot of it's promises. It does a LOT right, when it comes to quality of life.

What it did not do well was challenging group PVE content. They had a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to really do that with no tank, no healers, and everyone has dodges and blocks and invulns.

Their answer? Every single hit by bosses basically one shots people... but they attack so slowly, you can get through fights never being hit.

The result? It's "too easy" for people who can dodge everything, and intimidatingly hard for people who aren't good at avoiding the hits.

Raids, from what I've experienced, are much better designed, they did design them around having tanks and healers, so damage output is for the most part fair and they did include better more complex mechanics.

.... it's just that there's so little reason to do them (legendary armor is basically the only reason.. and whether you like the way legendary armor looks or not is.. a matter of taste), and I stopped playing regularly enough to be a part of a dedicated raid group.

I do think GW2 should be a model in how to design some things like the world maps, landscape content, the inventory and bank system (including separate materials storage), the wardrobe and dye system.. all that QOL stuff. I also liked that there was non combat content like jumping puzzles.
>>
>>376464183
Is there still any semblance of an active playerbase in Wildstar?
I played it during beta and for a few months after launch but sort of just fell out of it. I might consider picking it up again since I'm looking for a substitute for WoW.
>>
>>376488435

Didn't save any. Was 15? at the time. She was like 16. Didn't want to save that. Sorry bud.

>>376488601

6".
>>
>>376487998
>Population wise it seems fine
A-net has always lied about population. Sub count was something MMO players used to determine the health of a game and Blizzard was making enough bank to show off those numbers for all to see.

The difference with Guild Wars 2 was that it wasn't subscription based, just pay to play with microtransactions. They didn't need to report the number of active accounts, only the number of accounts (sales) in general. Sever populations unlike WoW which was based on the number of players currently active were instead based on accounts situated in the server. Finally, the overflow server system that was used to limit the number of players you encountered in general made it impossible to determine the health of your server. The server population listed was a lie and the overflow system blocked you from seeing how lifeless your server truely was.

The sign of the games decline came with the server merging, otherwise A-net would continue to boast their initial numbers they obtained from people actually wanting a good sequal to GWs and WoW exodus fags seeking abetter game.

Microtransaction games don't really die that often because dedicated autists make them just enough to get by, but I think GW2 has been in this zombie state for a long time.
>>
>>376489007
>15
undera-
>Guild Wars 2 came out 5 years ago
I feel old
>>
>>376489117

Yea I was kinda terrified when I realized I was that young back then.

To get back on topic: how's Rift these days? I liked it back in the day. Got into the open beta and played for a solid 6 months and loved it. Fell off when GW2 came out, had great memories of GW1 as a kid.
>>
>>376488850

>GW2 does a lot right when it comes to quality of life
What does this mean?
>>
>>376489007
Oh you were young, I believe you willy man
>>
>>376488689
Why do they split the PC and console servers?
Seems retarded to split an MMO's playerbase so much just over choice of gaming platform.
>>
>>376489225
the glamour and dye system is nice, even if the actual unlocks are cash shop nonsense

separate material storage is good

the way currency and dungeon tokens are handled, even if there are way too many
>>
>>376489329
because Microsoft and Sony would never let Crossplay exist between their consoles for some reason.

Also they'd have to kill the add-on API on PC or else PC would have an even larger advantage.
>>
>>376489062

the mega server system makes it impossible to know how many people are on your server (and kills any server community, TESO has the same problem), you are correct.

However it also populates the world in which you're playing at pretty much all times so you don't notice the effects of how "dead" the game is the way you do when you have dead servers on a game, and there's nobody to play with and asking for a group is like screaming into a vacuum.

There's always people on, and the jolly cooperation core gameplay works well still.

I do miss having an actual server community though that aspect does survive in WvW.
>>
>>376489401
If its Megaservers then there is no "server community" because its just a single server, you still have guild communities, ESO still has faction communities.

The fuck does a server community matter.
>>
>>376489364

I guess I'd agree, the dye system was pretty good.

Sadly a good dye system doesn't outweigh mindlessly casual and unfun combat for anyone who isn't a DD elementalist, terribly unrealized dungeon/ system, blatantly lied about Event system, terrible optimization, one of the worst stories in videogames, boring environments (don't understand the world design meme beyond a few screenshots of fractals) and countless other issues.
>>
File: photo_2017-05-10_07-55-36.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-05-10_07-55-36.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>good mmos are all fucking dead and you will never go back
just fucking kill me

that feel walking around empty zones in ao where everything used to be fucking full all the time
>>
>>376489642
well no, the game is terrible, that goes without saying
>>
>>376489225

I mean there's not a lot of really big nagging points on day to day playing of the game.

Like in some games, just before you tag a mob, someone else will tag it first from stealth or range or whatever and then they get credit for the kill you don't. GW2 everyone who damages the mob gets credit. The same goes for treasure chests and resource nodes. You don't have some Chink gold seller stealing nodes from under you while you killed the mob guarding it. In GW2, both of you can mine that node and get the same amount of resources as if only one of you had tapped it. You lose nothing that way.

In other games, if your inventory is full, you have to find an NPC to sell to or just start throwing things away. In GW2, you can send all crafting materials to your bank from anywhere in the world using a UI feature, and you can salvage junk gear into more crafting materials, so you can clear out your inventory easily without having to go back to a town. Also the way bags are done there are different types of bags that selectively filter objects. Their are bags that selectively hold junk items, equipment, bags that selectively hold items of certain quality (IE blue, green, yellow, and orange item bags) and bags that make all the contents in that bag invisible to merchants to avoid selling stuff and if you "send all materials to storage" it'll ignore items in invisible bags, or if you "compact inventory" it'll skip items in invisible bags as well.

Waypoint travel is fast and convenient and another QOL improvement in the genre (though that was brought into GW1 as well)

Letting anyone res dead players regardless of class was also a big QOL improvement. Sometimes you die out in the middle of nowhere and you don't want to wait for a priest to res you but you don't want to hoof it across half the map either. Being able to res anyone any time is part of what created the "jolly cooperation" feel to the game.
>>
File: 1455334032014.jpg (19KB, 264x246px) Image search: [Google]
1455334032014.jpg
19KB, 264x246px
>>376489706
>Went back to OSRS for nostalgia
>Walk over to Varrock to see the old stomping grounds
>Literally dozens of bots with garbled nonsense for names chopping every tree and mining every node with pinpoint precision.
>Afterwards they all run in a single file line to the bank before running back
>Bots in every major city shouting at you to join their clan and Discord server
>Nobody gives a shit about quests
>Nobody's talking to each other
>Every zone that isn't key to some form of money making scheme is fucking empty
>>
>>376489505
The mega-server was a server merge to pull people from virtually dead servers together so they can prune off the unused servers to cut costs. This means that there was a staunch population drop of actual active accounts where servers were barely being utilized, a sign of a dying game.
>>
waiting on Dauntless and if that turns out shit that's mmos done for me
>>
File: RIP.jpg (734KB, 1600x1140px) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
734KB, 1600x1140px
>>376489706
you think you have it bad
>>
File: cry.gif (759KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
cry.gif
759KB, 400x388px
>>376489865
>go to subway where literally everyone went to level after starting zone
>they merged them to one instance instead of 3 different ones for the different factions
>still completely empty and silent except for the giant fleas and muggers

bad feel
>>
>>376489975
fuck you nigger don't fucking remind me
>>
>>376489505
The idea of "server community" at this point is somewhat antiquated, and really was just a matter of communities coping with the fact that MMO servers back in the day, for technical reasons, had to be essentially islands unto themselves. "Server communities" came into being because, once you chose a server to play on, the only people you would generally interact with in the entire time you played the game would be people on that server; it was a community by simple fact that you were forced into continued proximity with those people over an extended period. The advent of megaservers and prolific systems of server crossover means that the conditions that give rise to community formation have simply changed, not abolished; the "communities" simply take different shape and some struggle to identify what said communities look like nowadays.

That all being said, if a game starts with unconnected servers and starts merging them quite a while after release, that may (but not always) be a sign that there has been sharp population declines, which is likely is a consequence of other problems with the game at large.
>>
>>376489975
Does Champions Online not hold a candle to CoH or something?
>>
>>376489505

It's harder to meet people to join a guild without a server community. Unless you just join whatever guilds are spamming recruitment in map.

Having familiar names pop up in zone chats or global chats means you get to know people before joining their guild. You can get an idea of if you'd mesh well with people beforehand.

In a megaserver.. you never really encounter people. I've found it really hard to actually make friends in TESO.. GW2 I had friends going into the game which helped and I joined a WvW guild after spending some time out there and seeing familiar names that way.

TESO for awhile I was in a big trading guild but I stopped playing and got kicked out... now I'm only in a small friends guild with irl friends that never play anymore.. so..

Hard to actually meet people. Doing PuG dungeons people never really talk. I should probably PVP but I feel like unless I'm CP 600 I'm just going to get rolled.
>>
>>376490116
not even a match

also the community got overrun by furfag ERPers
>>
>>376490116
it's awful
>>
Do you think the upcoming kickstarter MMOs will do well?

Camelot Unchained
Pantheon
Ashes of creation
Crowfall
Albion online
>>
>>376490231
I doubt it
>>
File: 3 AM stormwind.jpg (610KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3 AM stormwind.jpg
610KB, 1920x1080px
>>376489706
if they were good they wouldn't be dead
>>
>>376490336
>people idling at an AH means a game is "alive"
Nice try wowfag.
>>
>>376490085
Cross server communities are worse simply because the systems that utilize them prevent socialization as being a requirement, case and point WoW.
>>
>>376451689

>everyone one says ESO is back on track
>never says how or why or what exactly has changed
>>
>>376490336
>all those druids
So sick of that OP meme class
>>
File: 1473697617372.png (262KB, 351x364px) Image search: [Google]
1473697617372.png
262KB, 351x364px
>>376490468
>Pls sum up 3 years of patch notes for me
Read them yourself you lazy fuck
>>
>>376490417
But only 3 people are afk. There's people in trade chat forming mythic raid groups at 3 am.
>>
>>376490336
>game with the most chinks must be the best game
>>
>>376490468
They removed their terrible original endgame PvE progression in exchange for an account wide progression system that is just further character advancement
It's had slight animation tweaks/cleanups so its less choppy and floaty from launch
"One Tamriel" made everything scale upwards to the gear cap which is Champion Point (new endgame system) 160 which allows you to go to any zone and do any quest in any order you'd like
Since the gear cap is a stable point once you actually hit level 50 and then champion point 160 you enter a horizontal gear grind meaning sets from a variety of activities are all useful, even the expansion isn't raising this so current gear will never be bad just for levels sake
class changes/weapon changes etc etc but basically >>376490653

It's gone through almost as an extensive change as FFXIV did from 1.0 to 2.0
>>
>>376490336

WoW isn't that good as a game, outside of its raid/dungeon mechanics.

it's just that there was this snowball effect among groups of friends.

One friend started playing it, and they drug you into it, and another friend and soon everyone you know is playing it.

Then more people start playing it because.... everyone else is playing it.

The subscription numbers by themselves, were used to rope more and more people into the game.

It's a phenomenon that had very little to do with the actual quality of the game itself.
>>
>>376445150
I get no statisfaction from MMOs any more, nothing will ever compare to runescape
>>
>>376490738

Seems like the the didnt change anything about the core gameplay, which is the game entire issue. It literally is less fun than Skyrim.
>>
>>376490805
If you say so, I love the combat in it and think its fantastic.
>>
>>376486578
Just play OSRS or /v/scape my man, nothing is quite like it.
>>
>>376490789
>WoW isn't that good as a game, outside of its raid/dungeon mechanics.

Why else would you even play an MMORPG except for the dungeons and raids? If you want a good story then just play a single player game. No other MMO has even come close to how fluid and weighty WoW's animations and combat is.

TERA has the weight down, but it isn't fluid. Wildstar had the fluidity down, but it had no weight to it. FF XIV is just shit in both.
>>
>>376490468

Ive played a shit ton of ESO and very little has changed. I got the DLCs, and except for Orsinium, they all felt rushed and incomplete. The community feels sterile. Very little interaction is needed. The CP grind is mind bendingly boring. Not only that, I dont feel anymore powerful as a character with 300 CP as I did when I first started. The limited skill bar is terrible after awhile. All you end up doing as a sorc is spamming a couple abilities. Huge potentional squandered IMO
>>
>>376490993
WoW combat is a novelty. the original tab targeting + line of sight + field grid / distance combat was perfect for a latency stressed environment such as an MMO despite being technically sub-par for combat in terms of single player games at the time. It also structurally fitted with an rpg more than a hack and slash action game which newer MMOs are trying to emulate.

Despite it's flaws, blizzard managed to keep it entertaining because with the creation of Naxx blizzard realized they could conduct complex dances into raid fights to keep people happy (Before that, the basic design of most fights was every doing their role but really well against high amounts of damage).

Sadly they couldn't improve the single player experience, probably because they were using it as a casual holding pen.
>>
>>376455941
It really isn't
>>
>>376489329
Pretty much Microsoft's problem
It works fine in the case of FFXIV with PC/PS4 crossplay but when Square approached MS, MS said they wanted their own servers and Square said no
>>
>>376490993

there's lots of reasons to play MMO's aside from instanced PVE.
Some people want Arena/BG/Siege (in other words, instanced) PVP, some people want open world PVP so they can let out their inner sociopath. Some people want to just become rich and play the game's economy/market for their inner jew... though most the sociopaths and jews play EVE.

Personally, I like having a big living world to explore. I'll do instanced PVE content and some small amount of both types of PVP, and I'll craft a little and all that.. but the main draw of the game, is the open persistent world, with a lot of other people there playing simultaneously.

the problem with this is once you've explored the whole world.. you start losing interest in the game. So.. it's really easy to migrate from 1 MMO to the next that way. I've played probably over a dozen MMO's now, I only tend to stick to them for a year or two at a time, but a lot of times I come back to old ones when they get new content.
>>
>>376491310
They've done plenty for single player. Hell, they just added hard single player challenges for each of your specs in the last patch, and they are actually hard in current gear.

Brawler's guild is really fun if you don't overgear it.

They're adding pet battle dungeons each patch if you like that kind of shit.

It needs more of this kind of stuff, though. I wish they would put in some platforming challenges like GW2 has. They have physics for moving platforms, tilting platforms, and rotating platforms and it's fucking GOOD, but they do nothing interesting with it.
>>
>>376442365
I hate EVE but I definitely think it was on to something, same with GW2 and WvWvW. If there's a new generation of MMO's then it will likely be PvP focused.
Thread posts: 510
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.