[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exercising the Editing Muscles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: marie.jpg (47KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
marie.jpg
47KB, 1280x720px
Marie is one of the most universally disliked aspects of Persona 4 Golden, a blemish on an otherwise well-received game. There are good reasons to criticize her character, but let's try something a little different.

You are put in charge of rewriting the Marie scenario in Persona 4 Golden. Here are your limitations:

1. You can't remove Marie from the game.
2. She requires a social link.
3. Her significance cannot be lessened, only kept the same or increased.
4. The same basic characteristics need to be kept (she's a poetryfag, exhibits at least some tsundere characteristics, has a connection with the Velvet residents and the TV world)

What do you do?
>>
But the Japanese like Marie.
>>
Personally, I'd do some minor revisions to the main storyline to better accommodate Marie's presence. Have her partake in a few major events with the rest of the group instead of getting a seperate event all to herself. Her involvement with the main party starts increasing around the time Rise joins your party. Have her be a bit more proud about her poetry and have her share it with others. It still sucks on a purely aesthetic level, but as the plot progresses, someone begins making connections between what she's writing about and the kinds of struggles she's currently going through.

During the trip to Tatsumi Port Island, Marie tags along and you go on a side mission with her that expounds her being fascinated by Japanese mythology, and maybe you collaborate with her to write a poem based off of the material. Around this time, Margaret offhandedly states something about Marie's past, and the comb fiasco starts. You track down clues regarding origins of the comb by revisiting each of the main dungeons. Finding all of them before Adachi reveals himself unlocks the Hollow Forest dungeon, and finishing it lets Marie join you as an optional party member.

This was really hastily written, so it's just one idea. I think Marie just feels so separated from the game's main events, that she feels more like an intrusion than an inclusion.
>>
She gets run over by the train in the intro
>>
>Fix Marie, but do it without fixing Marie
?????
>>
Those conditions are terrible. There is no natural way to add a new major character to a concluded story without them effectively being a mary sue, that's ostensibly a core part of the definition and its major problem. P4's story functioned perfectly fine as is, adding a new character when there was no need for one is only going to create more problems than it could ever hope to solve.
If she had been a character in a continued after-story or direct sequel, it wouldn't be an issue, but she's not.
>>
Make everything involving her skippable or avoidable, especially the kissing scene which well happen whether you romanced her or not
>>
>>376437465
>include her in more group events
>turn down the tsundere a lot, nomoretalkinglikethis
>make her more relevant when dealing with teddie, have her help him as a guide when he's lost and vice versa have teddie help her understand herself
>make her poems more relevant to the plot and less about her internal angst. Make it mysterious until the end
>if you do her dungeon, have her help/appear during the secret boss. Like the boss losses 1/4th of it's health if you beat marie
>>
>>376437465
Tsundere characters are garbage by default. Maybe change it so she's less tsundere and more disinterested or aloof. And have her poetry not sound like a sarcastic parody of what you'd find on deviantart
>>
>>376438852
I guess there'd be no conceivable way of adding in any character to a story without seriously altering the story in question. At that point, why not even make it a revision? Why not have it be its own thing entirely? I'm guessing this is why nobody complains about Labrys or Kanami, since they're supplementary characters that don't revise the original story.

I am curious though, if Marie was naturally introduced as a character in a spinoff game like Labrys or Kanami, would she still be disliked? Is there something inherent about Marie as a character that makes her unlikable? The only thing I can read from it is that she's just kind of a basic tsundere at times, when every other character generally moves past their character archetype.
>>
>>376437465
>she doesn't lose all her memories, you travel into the TV world with her and investigate dungeons with her as they're completed
>Her social link advances with the dungeons, with 3 mandatory days where you advance it by talking to her about what you've learned
>conveniently she remembers something new during all this, advancing it more
>the final S.Link is completed when you beat her dungeon, which is now unmissable and mandatory in the game

/thread
>>
>>376437465
I don't see how you could make it worse. As it stands, her social link is almost entirely "I don't understand thing *SOCIAL LINK UP*", and her interactions with the rest of the crew lack any of the conflict that comes from differing archetypes interacting in a social setting, literally all of them (from what i remember) are just "wow who's your friend i love her wow squee"

Your challenge appears to carry the implication that you'd be running the risk of making things worse, I argue that's simply not possible
>>
>>376439560
>I'm guessing this is why nobody complains about Labrys or Kanami, since they're supplementary characters that don't revise the original story.
Pretty much. Arena is it's own seperate thing and it doesn't really infringe on anything that happened in P4.
>am curious though, if Marie was naturally introduced as a character in a spinoff game like Labrys or Kanami, would she still be disliked?
Not as much, that's for sure.
>>
>>376439496
I dig the connection with Teddie suggestion. Considering they're both born from similar cloths, fostering a connection between these two specifically might've been pretty cathartic.

And I agree with the poetry being more relevant to the plot idea, especially since her internalized angst isn't really made apparent from what we see of her in the social link events. I think having her more involved with the plot would make writing more internal poetry easier and less offputting too, since you could more easily connect it to her character.
>>
>>376437465

I'm playing golden for the first time as we speak and I find nothing wrong with Marie.

Oh well.
>>
>>376437465
Marie did nothing wrong. Instead, remove Fagsuke and Teddie
>>
>tfw almost want to play Golden but just the thought of Chie's new voice and Marie make me groan
The last time I played it I'm pretty sure I managed to even kinda forget what Chie sounded like before, but the other day I made the mistake of checking out a comparison video and was just reminded how much fucking worse it is now
>>
>>376437465
>you have to rewrite the thing people hate
>you just cant rewrite the thing people hate

what a good thread
>>
>you are put in charge of rewriting this character
>except you can't
Did you even think this through, you retard?
>>
>>376442401
Chie's new voice is better though, she actually sounds like a teenager
>>
>>376442401
The only thing stopping me right now is the fact that I'm playing IV:A. I'm not sure how I'll deal with Marie. Her poems were retarded in Persona Q, but I ended up laughing at them.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.